Author Topic: Corona Thread |OT| Nu variant, who dis?  (Read 1083031 times)

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
Re: Corona Thread |OT| Money-printer goes BRRRR
« Reply #3120 on: March 20, 2020, 10:49:55 AM »
Not to be grim but that thing could wreck Africa, maybe India, the less wealthy Asian countries and possibly South America. I would expect we'll emerge from this with at least a year long severe control of immigration into the "Global North" and the far right will cream at this with the argument that "Well we did it... Why not continue ?".

I've been seeing "Global South" a lot, is this the common European parlance for "third world"?
^_^

BisMarckie

« Reply #3121 on: March 20, 2020, 10:52:34 AM »
It‘s the more politically correct way, if you will, to refer to these countries commonly referred to as third world countries since that is a cold war relic.

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #3122 on: March 20, 2020, 10:55:18 AM »
Persistent rumors of national guard being deployed in the US to enforce a quarantine. I have a hard time seeing Trump wanting to be the President that has that on him though.

National Guard is being deployed to help with logistics. Which happens pretty much anytime a state of emergency is declared in any circumstances.
That I'd understand. These rumors are more along the lines of 'patrolling the streets making sure people don't leave their house.'
I don't think any republican president wants that on their hands.

They won't have time to "police the streets". They'll be too busy acting as couriers for all kinds of supplies. At most, you might see checkpoints set up in heavily populated areas.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #3123 on: March 20, 2020, 10:55:25 AM »
You know, I am rather shocked that there's little news of an Indian outbreak. You'd figure that Corona would run rampant through there.
que

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩

BisMarckie

« Reply #3125 on: March 20, 2020, 11:01:11 AM »
It‘s only been 4 days of staying at home, While I appreciate the NEET life as much as the next guy, not having the option certainly takes a toll on your mental health

BisMarckie

« Reply #3126 on: March 20, 2020, 11:10:37 AM »
Thankfully I have a backyard that‘s big enough for my daughter to run around in. Otherwise she would drive us insane.
But sitting there still feels like being stuck in a nicer part of your prison.  :doge

Nightly walks are a good idea though, might go for one at 3 AM or so.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #3127 on: March 20, 2020, 11:34:27 AM »
Introverts of the world, UNITE!

...Over there... away from me...

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3128 on: March 20, 2020, 11:38:10 AM »
watch people try to infect you in real time

https://www.flightradar24.com/WEN3463/243d004b

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #3129 on: March 20, 2020, 11:51:03 AM »
You know, I am rather shocked that there's little news of an Indian outbreak. You'd figure that Corona would run rampant through there.

Testing is lagging and there's already 200 cases or so on record. It might be running rampant.
ὕβρις

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #3131 on: March 20, 2020, 11:58:53 AM »
Virus-chan looking like she's gonna kill theaters. Disney is releasing Onward for buying around the same price that other movies that are in theaters (currently) are wanting you to spend to rent for like 2 days. :lol

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #3132 on: March 20, 2020, 12:07:58 PM »
lots of local things saying they are essential and staying open for takeout orders  :)

Coffee Dog

« Reply #3134 on: March 20, 2020, 12:52:20 PM »
My life hasn't changed due to quarantine, other than the lack of funds and available work. I'm not an agoraphobe, but I live like one, so I'm not as prone to going stir crazy as most.

It's going to be interesting to see how people exercise and keep themselves sane.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3135 on: March 20, 2020, 01:23:18 PM »
We're really turning a briefing about coronavirus into fuck the media, fuck you reporters specifically rants. :beli

Trump's feeling totally powerless with stocks in free-fall and the economy heading towards a massive recession [the only metrics he actually cares about], lashing out at the media in frustration is the only thing he knows how to do.
dog

nudemacusers

« Reply #3137 on: March 20, 2020, 01:36:18 PM »
Persistent rumors of national guard being deployed in the US to enforce a quarantine. I have a hard time seeing Trump wanting to be the President that has that on him though.

National Guard is being deployed to help with logistics. Which happens pretty much anytime a state of emergency is declared in any circumstances.
That I'd understand. These rumors are more along the lines of 'patrolling the streets making sure people don't leave their house.'
I don't think any republican president wants that on their hands.
Being scared of flabby NG also-rans :sabu
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #3138 on: March 20, 2020, 01:37:49 PM »
Still continually blown away by TP being sold out.

We always basically have 2 packages and buy a new one when we break into our second one... which happened a few days ago... 5 trips to 3 stores, and no TP.

Not an emergency at this point because we have most of our last package left, but still lol
I probably have enough packs for another 1-2 weeks but god, I haven't seen TP in the stores in the last 2 weeks. WTF?
que

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #3139 on: March 20, 2020, 01:42:00 PM »
Not to be grim but that thing could wreck Africa, maybe India, the less wealthy Asian countries and possibly South America. I would expect we'll emerge from this with at least a year long severe control of immigration into the "Global North" and the far right will cream at this with the argument that "Well we did it... Why not continue ?".

It'll do some damage but bear in mind. Africa is young, some countries really young with an average age of like eighteen! Young people will get sick for sure, but the effect won't be remotely the same like in Italy.

Propagandhim

« Reply #3140 on: March 20, 2020, 01:44:58 PM »
Bidets change lives.  Just get one. 

Leadbelly

« Reply #3141 on: March 20, 2020, 01:45:31 PM »
UK Government to pay 80% of wages of employees not working. That is not sustainable. We're still in debt from the 2008 crisis. The future seems bleak. :/

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3142 on: March 20, 2020, 01:46:52 PM »
My wife's company has shut down...sort of?  Their main office is in CA and they shut down, so the branch offices are just kind of sitting around with nothing to do since most of their clients closed too.  Rather than send people home, they're telling people they can sit in the office and get paid, or go home and use PTO or not get paid.  :-\  Her boss told her she should probably go home for now (since she's pregnant, so she left and used a vacation day.  She was the only one who did this and the rest of the staff are still there, doing nothing.
:dizzy

Her boss also gave everyone presents- she came home with eight rolls of toilet paper and a mask.  :lol
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #3143 on: March 20, 2020, 01:46:54 PM »

We always basically have 2 packages and buy a new one when we break into our second one... which happened a few days ago... 5 trips to 3 stores, and no TP.

Not an emergency at this point because we have most of our last package left, but still lol
I probably have enough packs for another 1-2 weeks but god, I haven't seen TP in the stores in the last 2 weeks. WTF?

Shouldn't be shocked at all.

Once people started buying in bulk it's naturally going to create a scenario of "this may last a month or two months. Do I have enough toilet paper for my family in that time period? People are buying. Will any be in stock once they've bought some and if so how long will it take to restock?"

So they buy.

It's a natural domino effect. I checked my paper reserves last week myself, just in case. Bet you did too.
IYKYK

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #3144 on: March 20, 2020, 01:49:24 PM »
U.K. Prime Minister Boris Johnson has announced lockdown measures in the capital city of London, telling cafes, bars and restaurants to close from Friday.
that's weird, i thought u guyz were doin hurd emmunity
每天生气

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #3145 on: March 20, 2020, 01:49:54 PM »
If you don't have a membership to one of the shopping clubs, you might want to think about getting one.  My Wal-Mart and Krogers have been out of some essentials all week, but you walk into Sam's Club and it's been well-stocked (except for meat and produce).

Tripon

« Reply #3146 on: March 20, 2020, 01:51:43 PM »

Shouldn't be shocked at all.

Once people started buying in bulk it's naturally going to create a scenario of "this may last a month or two months. Do I have enough toilet paper for my family in that time period? People are buying. Will any be in stock once they've bought some and if so how long will it take to restock?"

So they buy.

It's a natural domino effect. I checked my paper reserves last week myself, just in case. Bet you did too.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=toilet+paper&rh=p_85%3A2470955011&dc&qid=1584726578&rnid=2470954011&ref=sr_nr_p_85_1

Toilet paper is showing up on Amazon again, probably need an Amazon Fresh sub as well in order to order tho.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #3147 on: March 20, 2020, 01:59:07 PM »
I have a feeling the trick is to get up in the AM and go, but just been working early and haven't tried.

Might run to the store after my current meeting just to check.
Take it from a guy who has been there the moment they open 3 times. That ain't the trick apparently.
que

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #3148 on: March 20, 2020, 02:02:09 PM »
the first hour of any store being open here is old person/employee buying only now. ive had the best luck when going mid-morning right after whatever the rush period is when non-olds are allowed in.

also the mexican markets here are still pretty stocked compared to grocery chains minus stuff like beans, rice, and masa.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 02:06:37 PM by nachobro »

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #3149 on: March 20, 2020, 02:10:17 PM »
went to the water outlet to fill up my five gallons and noticed vons across the street was packed. next door to the water outlet is a la favorita market and it was completely empty  :pitbull went in and bought a couple thangs no problemo  8)

skullstorm

« Reply #3150 on: March 20, 2020, 02:11:13 PM »
https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2020/03/20/world/europe/20reuters-health-coronavirus-finland-who.html

So this is what we're dealing with. The fucking health organization that basically tells our government what to do is run by absolute imbeciles. The whole year they've basically been saying nothing will happen, no way there'll be an epidemic here, we're too well prepared and stocked up on supplies and we have excellent healthcare, it's just a flu but less bad, basically totally underestimating everything or just plain lying about a lot of stuff (like the preparedness etc). Only recently the majority of the government decided this might actually be serious and put some restrictions in place. But still these fucking jokers are the officials who the government listens to the most and the actions taken here have been too little too late.

It's all going to hit the fan soon and we could have avoided a situation like in Italy and Spain etc if the government had listened to what the Italians and WHO and others have been saying for weeks now. But no, people are still allowed to go to bars and night clubs and a lot of people don't take any calls for self-isolation and social distancing seriously. A lot of it is because the health officials kept saying "it's just a milder flu brah" for like two months and the rest are these "if I die, I die" geniuses who don't realize they can actually cause other people to die because of their carelessness. They really don't give a second thought to anyone else.

We could still prevent a massive epidemic in the rest of the country if we would totally lock down the capital city and its neighboring regions (it's too late there now) and do what the WHO told for the rest of the country, test, test, test. But nah, the health official says wE dO nOT uNdeRStAnd WhY wE ShoULd tEsT pEoPLe so that's that I guess. And when it's all over in some months or years this fucking genius will get promoted to some cushy position that pays even more :trumps

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3151 on: March 20, 2020, 02:17:43 PM »
Our King did a speech. Looks like putting the elderly in lockdown and not allowing family visitors to hospitals, nursing homes etc. is as far as we go for now.

King also thanked the IT people for keeping things running.
You're welcome king  8)

"We can't stop the coronavirus but we can stop the loneliness virus. Let's make sure no one is lonely  :uguu "
🤴

Leadbelly

« Reply #3152 on: March 20, 2020, 02:19:01 PM »
U.K. Prime Minister Boris Johnson has announced lockdown measures in the capital city of London, telling cafes, bars and restaurants to close from Friday.
that's weird, i thought u guyz were doin hurd emmunity

Why are people acting like the concept of 'herd immunity' is a completely illegitimate one? Everything is in flux, and governments are changing with the information given to them. London is the worst hit city in the UK. However, it is the experts suggesting this shit, not the Government. I don't know if it is because it is a Conservative Government or something.

Ultimately the strategy is either one of mitigation or suppression. Either try to mitigate the spread by protecting the vulnerable by self-isolation, not going out too much, etc, but allow for some herd immunity to take hold. Or a strategy of suppression by total lock down.

The thing is we don't know yet what is the right strategy so why are people pretending that they do? It could be that once the restrictions are lifted it comes back in a big way and no one has any immunity to it counteract it. If there was some herd immunity  At least when things return to some kind of normality, there is some protection in the population to combat a second wave.

Himu

« Reply #3153 on: March 20, 2020, 02:22:48 PM »
It amazes me conservative tory government is over here offering wage pay and progressive policy out of necessity.
IYKYK

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #3154 on: March 20, 2020, 02:23:54 PM »
If you need supplies go to ethnic grocers

Mexican, Korean etc. Very few issues
:O

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3155 on: March 20, 2020, 02:24:11 PM »
The concept is not illegitimate.  It's that it is an illegitimate response to the crisis for numerous reasons, the top two being that 1) it's a plan based on inaction meant to stabilize the economy at the cost of many peoples lives and 2) because when then walked it back it lead to massive mixed-messaging on the issue which is going to haunt the UK for the coming weeks.

skullstorm

« Reply #3156 on: March 20, 2020, 02:24:57 PM »
Speaking of TP, I think we should have enough for maybe two months but what if we get the corona with diarrhea?? Oh boy should I go buy some more  :doge 

We do have a bidet shower though, every Finnish bathroom is equipped with one. Still didn't stop everyone from hoarding toilet paper as soon as it was in the news that bloody Australians were doing it  ::)

Leadbelly

« Reply #3157 on: March 20, 2020, 02:30:41 PM »
The concept is not illegitimate.  It's that it is an illegitimate response to the crisis for numerous reasons, the top two being that 1) it's a plan based on inaction meant to stabilize the economy at the cost of many peoples lives and 2) because when then walked it back it lead to massive mixed-messaging on the issue which is going to haunt the UK for the coming weeks.

None of this is true though. The idea is quite clearly coming from epidemiologists. Goodness knows, I have listened a lot to them over past week. It is not some plot to save the economy over lives. Although economic meltdown isn't great either.

It may seem like a risky strategy, which is why many countries will choose the other option though. And it might not be the best course of action. Suppression has seemed to work in places like China. What we don't yet know is what happens when China goes back to normal. Things could change just like that.

Tripon

« Reply #3158 on: March 20, 2020, 02:32:50 PM »
https://twitter.com/robertbenzie/status/1241049695654461446

Even Cocaine bro is mad at Gamestop/EBgames.  :gamer

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #3159 on: March 20, 2020, 02:47:04 PM »
https://nypost.com/2020/03/19/we-should-blow-up-the-bridges-coronavirus-leads-to-class-warfare-in-hamptons/

A question for Gov Cuomo - are guillotine factories an "esesntial" industry?
^_^

Tripon

« Reply #3160 on: March 20, 2020, 02:50:15 PM »

james

« Reply #3161 on: March 20, 2020, 03:09:02 PM »
Uh this this mean the banks are about to collapse?

In yet another a sign that the turmoil in financial markets is putting extreme stress on some firms, one of the CME Group’s direct clearing firms was unable to meet its capital requirements, according to sources.

The move forced the exchange to step in and invoke its emergency protocols to auction off the portfolios. Ronin Capital, based in Chicago, was confirmed to be the firm in question, according to sources.

Terry Duffy, the CME Group’s Chairman and CEO, told CNBC the auction process was completed Friday morning, but said the group doesn’t disclose who assumed the portfolios in the auction.

Duffy also said that under its clearing agreement, Ronin isn’t allowed to have outside clients so there were no customers harmed in the process.

In general,  clearing firms like Ronin, are responsible for trades made on the exchange.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/20/clearing-firm-ronin-capital-unable-to-meet-capital-requirements-at-cme-sources.html

Coffee Dog

« Reply #3162 on: March 20, 2020, 03:22:39 PM »
Amazon Fresh has "temporarily" suspended grocery delivery. I've already bought some seeds just in case I need to grow my own plants or it becomes too unsafe to visit the store (also seeds are cheap af and I'm stocked on non perishables), but people are going to freak out if they cant get essentials.  :(

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #3163 on: March 20, 2020, 03:24:10 PM »

It'll do some damage but bear in mind. Africa is young, some countries really young with an average age of like eighteen! Young people will get sick for sure, but the effect won't be remotely the same like in Italy.

If the virus goes unchecked, on top of potential deaths, I think you're looking at vigorous screening on Euro borders for quite some time for potential carriers.

It's not today we'll get good numbers again. I'm looking forward to Italy getting better, it's basically the standard for everyone else in terms of what to expect.
ὕβρις

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #3164 on: March 20, 2020, 03:29:43 PM »
my work had to do a "temporary" cut for some people. i'm still on the lifeboat still. but if it happens i've got a nest egg to fall on for a bit.

maybe ill work on this website.

haha just kidding im jerking off and getting achievements. eat shit
fat

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #3165 on: March 20, 2020, 03:31:00 PM »
I was going to be a famous standup comedian but now I have to wait a year. Life sucks all around.

Lonewulfeus

• Former Unofficial Ambassador to ResetEra
« Reply #3166 on: March 20, 2020, 03:33:19 PM »
I was going to be a famous standup comedian but now I have to wait a year. Life sucks all around.

Don’t forget, you need funny material too.

Himu

« Reply #3167 on: March 20, 2020, 03:34:26 PM »

tell me joke
IYKYK

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #3168 on: March 20, 2020, 03:35:41 PM »
There's a big question mark over Russia, apparently they reported a death then it was retracted...
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 03:41:50 PM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

Himu

« Reply #3169 on: March 20, 2020, 03:36:29 PM »

tell me joke

That was his joke

IYKYK

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #3170 on: March 20, 2020, 03:42:54 PM »

tell me joke

I'm no conspiracy theorist, but don't you think it's a little suspicious that the virus started in 2019, and when they finally found out what it was, it just happened to be Covid-19? Isn't that a bit too coincidental?

spoiler (click to show/hide)
...also I hate minorities and women
[close]

Himu

« Reply #3171 on: March 20, 2020, 03:43:50 PM »

tell me joke

I'm no conspiracy theorist, but don't you think it's a little suspicious that the virus started in 2019, and when they finally found out what it was, it just happened to be Covid-19? Isn't that a bit too coincidental?

spoiler (click to show/hide)
...also I hate minorities and women
[close]

IYKYK

stufte

• Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior
« Reply #3172 on: March 20, 2020, 03:44:02 PM »
crickets.WAV

james

« Reply #3173 on: March 20, 2020, 03:44:04 PM »
my work had to do a "temporary" cut for some people. i'm still on the lifeboat still. but if it happens i've got a nest egg to fall on for a bit.

maybe ill work on this website.

haha just kidding im jerking off and getting achievements. eat shit

Let us custom sort emoticons you coward

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3174 on: March 20, 2020, 03:46:37 PM »
I don't understand why businesses would cut this fast and not wait for government support or at least the end of the month.

Our government has made it clear that businesses can apply for the support (retroactively starting March 1st) on the condition that they don't fire anyone.
🤴

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #3175 on: March 20, 2020, 03:47:35 PM »
Let us custom sort emoticons you coward

sorry emoticons are not considered essential, so they will not be looked at. have a nice day
fat

Himu

« Reply #3176 on: March 20, 2020, 03:49:09 PM »
Been a bit harder to breathe today. I mean, it's not truly hard but sometimes there's pressure in my lungs when I do let some air in. May be positioning but right now I'm weighing going to work or not.
IYKYK

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3177 on: March 20, 2020, 03:50:16 PM »
If you think you are sick, you shouldn't be going to work anyways.  Hope you feel better soon. 

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #3178 on: March 20, 2020, 03:50:47 PM »
At last an article on French test policy in Le Monde. Daily tests are now more in the 4k range now with a peak at 5k. Better than the 2,5k number mentioned until now (an average, it seems). As with the rest you don't know how much of it is a rationalisation for lack of preparedness but the argument from doctors is that catching very mild cases is not useful at the moment. Tests are currently directed towards grave cases, at risk demographics and medical personnel.

There's debates that deaths are not defined the same in every country but it seems to be an harder metric.
ὕβρις

Himu

« Reply #3179 on: March 20, 2020, 03:53:15 PM »
If you think you are sick, you shouldn't be going to work anyways.  Hope you feel better soon.

I know. I wish there were easy, accessible testing.
IYKYK