Author Topic: Corona Thread |OT| Nu variant, who dis?  (Read 1083105 times)

VomKriege

• Do the moron
Re: Corona Thread |OT| Money-printer goes BRRRR
« Reply #5100 on: April 02, 2020, 02:46:59 PM »
So yeah, 884 deaths in French nursing homes, 14k+ confirmed or suspected cases and that's only with 2/3 of them having reported in as of tonight.
ὕβρις

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #5101 on: April 02, 2020, 02:53:56 PM »
rightous, if I had a 19 year old white daughter  :drool I would be proud to have her call you Daddy  :salute

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #5102 on: April 02, 2020, 03:08:33 PM »
 :heart

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #5103 on: April 02, 2020, 03:13:38 PM »

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #5104 on: April 02, 2020, 03:16:31 PM »
So yeah, 884 deaths in French nursing homes, 14k+ confirmed or suspected cases and that's only with 2/3 of them having reported in as of tonight.

Yeah the original "Ground Zero" in the US was that Kirkland, WA nursing home where 37 have died already (not all were residents, but the spread came from there.)

They did the typical American business response of being short sighted in their response thinking putting business over safety would be better;  but of course.. now they are facing huge fines, might lose all of their licenses, ability to collect Medicaid/Medicare and are probably just going to not be able to attract customers anyways.

To be fair (not to the WA home, I don't know the specifics), I told earlier that week that a nursing home had 16 (or 24, I may be mixing up cases here) deaths despite starting to implement COVID related measures early march and suspending all visits on March, 5 (less than 300 cases and 7 dead in France when they took that decision). Maybe if they did in late February they could have had a chance ? Maybe it should have been even earlier ? But the awareness, foresight or testing capacity just wasn't there at that point in time.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #5105 on: April 02, 2020, 03:31:07 PM »
Considering it happens in most Western countries that I know of with large outbreaks, I think the final tally will probably be 20% to 50% higher (maybe more...).

Kinda glad I don't have relatives in those sort of institutions yet.
ὕβρις

« Reply #5106 on: April 02, 2020, 03:42:51 PM »
My paternal grandfather passed away in December and my maternal grandmother passed away in October 2018. Both of them were in residential facilities and we'd likely be dealing with similar situations now where they'd be locked down and unable to see any of us. I miss them both but am glad that they passed away peacefully surrounded by family.
野球

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #5107 on: April 02, 2020, 03:54:35 PM »
French PM said on TV the lockdown was likely to extend beyond the current stop date of April 15. I expect end of April, which was probably what was planned from the beginning. We're just, maybe, seeing numbers plateau now that we are two weeks into lockdown, I guess it will take two or three more weeks to have things decrease down to low levels. And he told yesterday that exiting the lockdown will be gradual.
ὕβρις

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
« Reply #5108 on: April 02, 2020, 03:55:41 PM »
https://twitter.com/Independent/status/1245478571520507905

Also Apparently Joe Exotic has Corona. THAT BITCH CAROLE

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #5109 on: April 02, 2020, 03:55:55 PM »
So plenty of shitposting still to do !
ὕβρις

« Reply #5110 on: April 02, 2020, 03:56:18 PM »
We're in this current situation of shelter in place until June at the earliest. Let people out too early and they'll abuse the system and you'll see Covid-19 cases pop up again.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 04:00:43 PM by Mr. Gundam »
野球

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #5111 on: April 02, 2020, 04:01:41 PM »
A morbid callback, but I recall a post that said Italy would be worse off because of remaining close to the elderly (multigen housing) rather than abandoning them in homes. Sure didn't turn out that way.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #5112 on: April 02, 2020, 04:02:37 PM »
We're in this current situation of shelter in place until June at the earliest. Let people out too early and they'll abuse the system and you'll see Corona cases pop up again.

I stay optimistic it will be a bit earlier in Europe but I wouldn't expect large gatherings (sports, concerts, etc...) or travel to be back before that date yeah.

Will probably only be true if masks are widely available / quick tests are in mass production / medication facilitate treatment and some certainties of the potency of immunity / what percentage of the population really got the sickness yet.
ὕβρις

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #5113 on: April 02, 2020, 04:05:33 PM »
We're in this current situation of shelter in place until June at the earliest. Let people out too early and they'll abuse the system and you'll see Covid-19 cases pop up again.
if the human see's it's shadow and gets scared, six more weeks of quarantine!

a dutch tradition  8)

« Reply #5114 on: April 02, 2020, 04:07:48 PM »
if the human see's it's shadow and gets scared, six more weeks of quarantine!

a dutch tradition  8)

A good friend of mine is a doctor at University of Washington and they pushed out the "worst week" projection for Seattle after some sunny weather because people thought it was a good idea to all go congregate at parks and on hiking trails. I even saw some people on the local news at the large lake/park by my house swing dancing in a big group.

STAY THE FUCK HOME.
野球

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #5115 on: April 02, 2020, 04:08:13 PM »
A morbid callback, but I recall a post that said Italy would be worse off because of remaining close to the elderly (multigen housing) rather than abandoning them in homes. Sure didn't turn out that way.

I think I already said it but it struck me as a bit of a stereotype. Plenty of retirement homes in Italy AFAIK, even if a family living together exists still at higher level than up north.

It's like the whole "oh those exuberant Latin populaces and their cheek kisses, touching each other all the time"... I don't discount it could be a factor but I suspect it's pretty marginal.
ὕβρις

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #5116 on: April 02, 2020, 04:13:12 PM »
Some fun food for thought I learned about. You can attempt to guess true infections based off a set of estimated or known parameters. For example, with a known numbers of deaths alongside an estimate infection-to-death average you can plug in mortality rates to estimate infection counts.

For example, using the estimate of 15 days from infection-to-death I saw, and using the roughly 1k deaths yesterday, you plug in estimated mortality rates.
So at 0.5% mortality you'd estimate 1000/0.005 or 200,000 newly infected 15 days ago. Or at 2% there would've been 50,000 newly infected 15 days ago.

Mortality time varies and these are all estimates, but fun food for thought. Once deaths get high, you're looking at a response that massively lags what's happening at the presence. Making it utterly useless.
Meanwhile, people wanting to act when the daily death rate reaches a high value are subsequently planning action well into an unfolding catastrophe.

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #5117 on: April 02, 2020, 04:15:08 PM »

I think I already said it but it struck me as a bit of a stereotype. Plenty of retirement homes in Italy AFAIK, even if a family living together exists still at higher level than up north.

It's like the whole "oh those exuberant Latin populaces and their cheek kisses, touching each other all the time"... I don't discount it could be a factor but I suspect it's pretty marginal.

It's cope.
"Things are only going bad for those odd foreigners because they do ____ and _____, we don't so we should fare better!"

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
« Reply #5118 on: April 02, 2020, 04:16:10 PM »
chatting with the fiance, was like imagine if I said to you that virus in china in December would have us locked down by march, she was just like I'd had told you to fuck off weirdo.

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #5119 on: April 02, 2020, 04:20:26 PM »
Went for a walk and found a dollar bill floating in the wind.

Yes as soon as I grabbed it my first thought was that it was infected but it was too late
:O

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #5120 on: April 02, 2020, 04:25:06 PM »

I'm the one who said that. It was just what I had been reading in some mainstream articles, when they were floating ideas on why Italy had become such a hot spot. 

BisMarckie

« Reply #5121 on: April 02, 2020, 04:33:26 PM »

Yes as soon as I grabbed it my first thought was that it was infected but it was too late

Have you played The Division?

RIP james

Ghoul

« Reply #5122 on: April 02, 2020, 04:38:16 PM »
I have been at home for three weeks now and it's looking like July or August earliest I'll be able to go out and see people again....

Holy fuck that is long.

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #5123 on: April 02, 2020, 04:38:55 PM »

Have you played The Division?

RIP james

I'm sure that's where he got the idea to make up the fake story.

james is battling Nintex for biggest forum bullshitter as of late

I don't even know what the division is and do you want a picture of the bill?
:O

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #5124 on: April 02, 2020, 04:43:19 PM »
OK now this all just got weird.
too old  ???

Ghoul

« Reply #5125 on: April 02, 2020, 04:57:33 PM »
apparently in South Africa they banned sales of alcohol an tobacco during the lockdown.

https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/not-selling-booze-and-tobacco-during-lockdown-harmful-to-addicts-20200331

Fuck that.

BisMarckie

« Reply #5126 on: April 02, 2020, 04:59:06 PM »
Momo, pls post if u need some emergency  supplies.

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #5127 on: April 02, 2020, 05:01:11 PM »
I have been at home for three weeks now and it's looking like July or August earliest I'll be able to go out and see people again....

Holy fuck that is long.

it's going to be much longer than that

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #5128 on: April 02, 2020, 05:06:51 PM »
they closed the beaches in san luis obispo county, but last I checked we still got our open here in santa barbara county  :pimp

was surreal seeing all the beaches closed off  :'(

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #5129 on: April 02, 2020, 05:12:52 PM »
It's time to lobotomize Republicans. There's no other solution
Wait...they are like that with a fully functioning brain? Wow.

Edit: top of page sneeze graph
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 05:20:03 PM by Potato »
Spud

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #5130 on: April 02, 2020, 05:23:38 PM »
https://www.axios.com/capatin-nuclear-aircraft-carrier-relieved-d1e43c25-6dfd-4865-b74d-e760ad5c5615.html

Everyone thought he was going to be canned but they didn't even wait for the story to cool down.

:salute
ὕβρις

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #5131 on: April 02, 2020, 05:54:00 PM »
I don't want people to have to die, but I fully support the world staying in "social distancing" mode forever after this

Economics aside, the social outcomes will be something massive alone. Months of this will imprint new norms on people that will be hard to shake.

Holy fuck that is long.

it's going to be much longer than that

Depends on what research shows, particularly further studies on Chinese stats and follow-up bloodwork of Chinese recoveries after the 3 or whatever month mark.

Ghoul

« Reply #5132 on: April 02, 2020, 05:57:39 PM »
I generally think that a lot of places are gonna wait until they see Italy/Spain research,

China has already been pretty shady, and I would personally hope for more concrete stats before them allowing people out again.

Fifstar

« Reply #5133 on: April 02, 2020, 06:05:50 PM »
Some fun food for thought I learned about. You can attempt to guess true infections based off a set of estimated or known parameters. For example, with a known numbers of deaths alongside an estimate infection-to-death average you can plug in mortality rates to estimate infection counts.

For example, using the estimate of 15 days from infection-to-death I saw, and using the roughly 1k deaths yesterday, you plug in estimated mortality rates.
So at 0.5% mortality you'd estimate 1000/0.005 or 200,000 newly infected 15 days ago. Or at 2% there would've been 50,000 newly infected 15 days ago.

Mortality time varies and these are all estimates, but fun food for thought. Once deaths get high, you're looking at a response that massively lags what's happening at the presence. Making it utterly useless.
Meanwhile, people wanting to act when the daily death rate reaches a high value are subsequently planning action well into an unfolding catastrophe.

Yeah, that's probably still the most interesting approach with the data quality we currently have. There are some twitter accounts that calculated actual cases vs a range of unknown cases calculated the way just described. Mainly based on the mortality in South Korea since they apparently had pretty thorough testing. The comparison between different countries still is difficult, because different countries count deaths differently, different age structure, health care and regional overload. Still this approach shows most of the time early if a country is running into problems.

@ VomKriege: High death count in France is due to the not yet counted death cases in retirement homes?
Gulp

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #5135 on: April 02, 2020, 06:10:39 PM »
So the U.S. is stealing (outbidding after the deal is done) medical supplies meant for Canada. 

Quebec Primiere later said that the shipment went to Ohio

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #5136 on: April 02, 2020, 06:11:27 PM »
@ VomKriege: High death count in France is due to the not yet counted death cases in retirement homes?

The 1300+ deaths of today you can see on Worldometers and elsewhere is indeed the sum of the 471 deaths recorded in the last 24h "in hospitals" (which is the stat used daily) and the 884 deaths estimated from nursing homes since the beginning of the epidemic (as I said, based on reporting from 2/3 of said homes they started last week as questions from the public became more probing. Last third still pending.)

The 884 deaths were announced officially along the other stats this evening but adding them up is apparently not the official practice.

There's also an estimation of 14k+ COVID cases in nursing homes though it is "confirmed or suspected" so they didn't test everyone.

The French official dashboard is here :
https://dashboard.covid19.data.gouv.fr/

I read they don't test post mortem all the people in nursing homes, they just assume deaths are probably COVID (if pneumonia or heart attack I'd imagine) once they hit a certain number of positives in an institution. Don't take my word on that, second hand info...

The French Office for Statistics also started a weekly examination of excess deaths compared to last year average. There's apparently a big spike visible in the Great East and Paris region (which are the two most afflicted regions).
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 06:18:51 PM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #5137 on: April 02, 2020, 06:15:40 PM »

It's a sign from god that you are on the right track and should keep investing in stonks.

So the U.S. is stealing (outbidding after the deal is done) medical supplies meant for Canada. 

Quebec Primiere later said that the shipment went to Ohio
A deal is never done until the shipment has arrived.
In Europe some countries used for transit confiscate the supplies for other countries in some cases the US snatched up resources bound for Europe as well.
🤴

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #5138 on: April 02, 2020, 06:19:49 PM »
Car crashes down 80% in France tho. :larry
ὕβρις

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #5139 on: April 02, 2020, 06:21:13 PM »
The Dutch word for condolences is now trending on Twitter  :fbm

https://twitter.com/search?q=Gecondoleerd&src=trend_click&f=live
🤴

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #5140 on: April 02, 2020, 06:41:20 PM »
More random French stats : Domestic rail at 6% of usual number of trains, tickets underbooked so that every passenger can respect recommended safe distances.

Paris region public transportation at 30% / 50% of normal traffic. First hand testimony : not very crowded even at rush hour so the number of passengers has shrinked further than that.

17% of Paris inhabitants (over a million) may have left the city to shelter in place elsewhere. That's the extrapolation made from the data of one of the main mobile phone carrier. Most other regions in the south and west haven't seen massive spikes since so it's unclear at this point if it was really detrimental infection-wise. Paris healthcare is already in overdrive as is...

I've seen cops control certificates for being outside but have not been controlled myself. It happened to other people and seem fairly frequent, I guess I'm not commuting via hotspots.
ὕβρις

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #5141 on: April 02, 2020, 07:06:48 PM »
Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis has overruled local counties’ power to ban large religious gatherings amid the coronavirus pandemic, carving out an extraordinary loophole that officials say will violate social distancing guidelines and ensure further spread of the virus.

By allowing religious services to continue, DeSantis is seemingly siding with religious leaders who’ve stood against the federally mandated guidelines—including controversial Tampa pastor Rodney Howard-Browne, who refused to stop holding services because he believed his church had machines that could stop the virus.

After weeks of political pressure and public outcry, the Republican governor signed a “stay-at-home” order Wednesday to curtail the spread of the coronavirus outbreak. But, unlike most mandates implemented in dozens of states, DeSantis ruled that religious services were an “essential activity.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/fl-gov-overrides-county-officials-204155187.html

RIP Florida

bluemax

« Reply #5142 on: April 02, 2020, 07:10:13 PM »
https://twitter.com/mikebonin/status/1245843238759497729

This after last weekend's markets were apparently packed.

https://twitter.com/dont_growup/status/1245831377980805120

Del Rey is my neighborhood, it is not very big. Its gone from 9 to 12 to 16 to 20 in the last two weeks (maybe less?).
NO

El Babua

« Reply #5143 on: April 02, 2020, 07:21:47 PM »
Florida Unemployment site is broken and staff members can’t even access it to approve unemployment applications, so they’re now sending out paper applications.

I was supposed to be confirmed a couple days ago and I still haven’t passed the initial steps to gaining unemployment.

Also his ordinance still has tons of loopholes in that nonessential businesses are still open, thank hell I finally got furloughed officially this morning.

Same, furthest I got was to put my basic information in before it froze and kicked me back to the homepage  :-\

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #5144 on: April 02, 2020, 07:29:27 PM »
https://twitter.com/EWErickson/status/1245796450027659266

oh that's good of him to clarify, otherwise we might not have known he was talking about the new data the CDC reported on
Uncle

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #5145 on: April 02, 2020, 07:34:43 PM »
The torrent of Americans filing for unemployment insurance skyrocketed last week as more than 6.6 million new claims were filed, the Labor Department reported Thursday. That brings to 10 million the total Americans who filed over the past two weeks.
每天生气

Tripon

« Reply #5146 on: April 02, 2020, 07:38:41 PM »
https://twitter.com/EWErickson/status/1245796450027659266

oh that's good of him to clarify, otherwise we might not have known he was talking about the new data the CDC reported on

Uncle, you don't have to carry Kemp's water. His justification of finally issuing a stay at home ordinance is either him being incompetent or ignorance. You don't have to continue to justify it.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #5147 on: April 02, 2020, 07:40:06 PM »
https://twitter.com/juliettinkerbug/status/1245798436416434178

lol who the fuck is Sheri FOH with this sentiment  :lol :lol
Uncle

bluemax

NO

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #5149 on: April 02, 2020, 09:09:44 PM »

Yeah, that's probably still the most interesting approach with the data quality we currently have. There are some twitter accounts that calculated actual cases vs a range of unknown cases calculated the way just described. Mainly based on the mortality in South Korea since they apparently had pretty thorough testing. The comparison between different countries still is difficult, because different countries count deaths differently, different age structure, health care and regional overload. Still this approach shows most of the time early if a country is running into problems.

The complicating factors alone will ensure pretty drastic mortality variation.

Leadbelly

« Reply #5150 on: April 02, 2020, 09:10:24 PM »
Depends on what research shows, particularly further studies on Chinese stats and follow-up bloodwork of Chinese recoveries after the 3 or whatever month mark.

I'm hoping the Oxford model turns out to be correct.

It may be wishful thinking, but man, that would be sweet right now..

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #5151 on: April 02, 2020, 09:27:07 PM »
(I haven't fact checked this, so Benji can. I'm just posting because Troll2OHMYGAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWD.gif)

https://twitter.com/benrileysmith/status/1245787069076602880

bluemax

NO

Tripon

Tripon

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #5156 on: April 03, 2020, 01:45:07 AM »

I'm hoping the Oxford model turns out to be correct.

It may be wishful thinking, but man, that would be sweet right now..
Gonna be interesting when the 15 minute fingerprick tests are being used widespread to test the general public.

This is going to sound weird, but I have had a strange heaviness in my chest for a week or two, but otherwise I feel fine. Most likely just psychosomatic, but it would be pretty cool to find out that I've had it all along and had no symptoms and can go back to a more normal life.
Spud

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #5157 on: April 03, 2020, 01:48:08 AM »
I didn't know you were psychosomatic, you seemed like a normal guy to me

Tripon

« Reply #5158 on: April 03, 2020, 01:50:03 AM »

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #5159 on: April 03, 2020, 02:15:58 AM »
2/3 infected seems way too high

anyway, some reading re: obesity and complications with respiratory tracts
https://www.reddit.com/r/TrueOffMyChest/comments/ftnh71/healthy_fat_is_not_a_thing_coronavirus_is_further/