Author Topic: Corona Thread |OT| Nu variant, who dis?  (Read 1083032 times)

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Re: Corona Thread |OT| Money-printer goes BRRRR
« Reply #6120 on: April 10, 2020, 07:42:23 PM »
Today's the worst day for deaths in the US so far, and we're just about 160 deaths behind Italy for the top spot.
dog

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #6121 on: April 10, 2020, 07:42:51 PM »
potato lives in aussie hell land. that's a worse outcome than being a millennial in any country. :lol

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #6122 on: April 10, 2020, 07:43:40 PM »
Every generation has had their travails. Preemptively feeling sorry for yourself does no good. My grandfather had the depression and WWII, my Dad was drafted into Vietnam out of high school then had to live through the Rust Belt era. My generation had to survive 7 seasons of The Nanny and finding out pro wrestling was fake.

We all had our crosses to bear.

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #6123 on: April 10, 2020, 07:46:09 PM »
My one roommate (not the one who requested lysol wipes) emailed us today that he emailed our landlord that he won't be able to pay for May. He says he's trying to make it work.

Is it time I suggest we bring out the guillotine?

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #6124 on: April 10, 2020, 07:47:40 PM »
Every generation has had their travails. Preemptively feeling sorry for yourself does no good. My grandfather had the depression and WWII, my Dad was drafted into Vietnam out of high school then had to live through the Rust Belt era. My generation had to survive 7 seasons of The Nanny and finding out pro wrestling was fake.

We all had our crosses to bear.

Sure, but thinking "the generation under mine doesn't have it so bad" when charts like Nintex's and research/studies show that yes, they fucking do is moronic. Pure, weapons-grade A-bomb moronic.

"They don't have it as bad as I do!" is such a :neogaf proposition from someone that clearly hasn't been paying attention to the world at large.

Is it time I suggest we bring out the guillotine?

Long been time, bb.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #6125 on: April 10, 2020, 07:51:01 PM »
I don't blame Potato, he learned the incredibly hilarious and never-boring behavior of maligning an entire generation from "ok boomer"

trashing entire generations is cool now  :dice
Uncle

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #6126 on: April 10, 2020, 07:52:08 PM »
potato's not american so maybe there's some aussie-specific thing about asset prices or policy where gen x got screwed?

spoiler (click to show/hide)
99% of the time I extend the benefit of the doubt like this cause it's out of my range of familiarity, it winds up being some inane bullshit like et saying antifa is taking over california or nintex telling us the netherlands is the breadbasket of the world
[close]

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #6127 on: April 10, 2020, 08:01:53 PM »
Oh well at least millennials won't lose anything in the upcoming third world war.

they didn't have anything to begin with.
🤴

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #6128 on: April 10, 2020, 08:12:33 PM »
the most forgotten generation is the willenials  :'(
Uncle

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6129 on: April 10, 2020, 08:25:29 PM »
I'm so fucking bored and can't focus on shit. 

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #6130 on: April 10, 2020, 08:48:41 PM »
https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1248773029582249987

French border police were notified on April 4 by the Marseille Provence Airport that an English company wanted to fly a jet from London to Marseille, carrying 10 passengers of Croatian, French, German, Romanian and Ukrainian nationality.
The passengers, seven men between the ages of 40 and 50 and three women who were "around 25," were heading to Cannes, an official with the Marseille Provence Air Border Police told CNN.

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #6131 on: April 10, 2020, 09:08:50 PM »
The passengers, seven men between the ages of 40 and 50 and three women who were "around 25,"
:doge :doge :doge
每天生气

G The Resurrected

« Reply #6132 on: April 10, 2020, 09:18:54 PM »
The passengers, seven men between the ages of 40 and 50 and three women who were "around 25,"

I'm surprised they were 25 and not 18 or younger.

My Father was put into an induced coma sometime since I last checked in yesterday. I try not to bother the nurses but once a day, they have a lot of other concerns right now. So we wait to see if that helps the situation over the next week or so. His wife keeps having kidney related issues and is receiving oxygen, I got to talk at her through FaceTime today and she didn't know my father was upstairs in the ICU. She was barely with it, barely able to be coherent.

Damn boomers spending all their money leaving nothing but medical bills for us Millennials and Gen Xrs!

Tripon

« Reply #6133 on: April 10, 2020, 09:47:05 PM »
https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1248788619868999680

Got cucked by the church's insurance.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #6134 on: April 10, 2020, 10:09:22 PM »
Never put much thought into generations or what generation I’m in.  Never witnessed a generation labeled so much and talked about as a monolith as millennials.  Gen X spent a couple years being a thing to talk about in the early 90s, but feel like media and people have been obsessed with millennials for a decade.
The movie "Mall Rats", here is called "Generazione X".  :ufup

Bebpo

« Reply #6136 on: April 10, 2020, 10:39:37 PM »

I'm surprised they were 25 and not 18 or younger.

My Father was put into an induced coma sometime since I last checked in yesterday. I try not to bother the nurses but once a day, they have a lot of other concerns right now. So we wait to see if that helps the situation over the next week or so. His wife keeps having kidney related issues and is receiving oxygen, I got to talk at her through FaceTime today and she didn't know my father was upstairs in the ICU. She was barely with it, barely able to be coherent.

Damn boomers spending all their money leaving nothing but medical bills for us Millennials and Gen Xrs!

I'm so sorry for what's going on with your family. We all love you and we're here for you no matter what, and I hope your dad and his wife recover.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6137 on: April 11, 2020, 12:10:05 AM »
https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1248730897618214912

India's a big worry, I think. Lotta big cities packed full of people who are very poor where the virus could take hold and cause some serious damage.
dog

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩

shosta

« Reply #6139 on: April 11, 2020, 01:36:51 AM »
there's very little appreciation for the fact that Brazil actually can't do what the US or Europe is doing, at least not nearly to the same extent
Thousands of people surged for food aid in a brief stampede Friday in Kenya’s capital, desperate for help as coronavirus restrictions keep them from making a living. Police fired tear gas and injured several people, witnesses said.

Residents of Nairobi’s Kibera slum, spotting a food distribution, tried to force their way through a gate outside a district office for their chance at supplies to keep their families fed for another day.
meanwhile I can hoard for three weeks and watch tiger king while waiting for my $1200 check
每天生气

shosta

« Reply #6140 on: April 11, 2020, 02:48:23 AM »
https://twitter.com/JordanUhl/status/1248661527445602304

1. Be poor
2. Need to go to work because "essential"
3. Have to take bus because you don't have a car. Because you're poor
4. Can't wear mask because national shortage and extreme prices for supply that exists
5. Get dragged off the bus by ten cops because you don't have a mask you can't find or afford to go to a job you can't quit

totally not a Kafkaesque nightmare

edit:
https://twitter.com/phillyTRU/status/1248675229288878083

normal country
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 02:53:18 AM by shosta »
每天生气

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #6141 on: April 11, 2020, 02:59:16 AM »
Never put much thought into generations or what generation I’m in.  Never witnessed a generation labeled so much and talked about as a monolith as millennials.  Gen X spent a couple years being a thing to talk about in the early 90s, but feel like media and people have been obsessed with millennials for a decade.
"generational" politics are one of the dumbest things to take root in modern day discourse :pacspit
you wouldn't say that if you were an echo boomer like me

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #6142 on: April 11, 2020, 04:50:23 AM »
I don't blame Potato, he learned the incredibly hilarious and never-boring behavior of maligning an entire generation from "ok boomer"
Unethical switcheroo.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #6144 on: April 11, 2020, 07:18:37 AM »
Dutch government is working to equip all surveillance camera's with a system to detect if people keep their distance or not.
Not keeping your distance officially results in a 390 Euro fine.

Furthermore they're modding the cars that scan for illegal parking with the same tech.
https://twitter.com/MaikeHVNL/status/1248886016309592066

All part of the new 'social distancing' society.  :kermit
🤴

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #6145 on: April 11, 2020, 09:32:35 AM »

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6147 on: April 11, 2020, 09:49:41 AM »
Went to go to the grocery store but the line up was 50 people despite only being open for a half-hour, so I went to shoppers instead.  Looked bad-ass with my scarf-mask tucked into my bunny-hug.  However, I just over-heated, so probabbly looked more worring to people than had I not worn the thing.

Tripon

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6149 on: April 11, 2020, 10:56:06 AM »
We really need the Bill moratorium back in place. 

nudemacusers

« Reply #6150 on: April 11, 2020, 10:58:18 AM »
Where are my coronabux at  :maf :maf :maf
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #6151 on: April 11, 2020, 11:09:13 AM »
ὕβρις

Tripon

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #6153 on: April 11, 2020, 11:20:41 AM »
Where are my coronabux at  :maf :maf :maf
Cheque's in the mail!  ;)

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6154 on: April 11, 2020, 11:31:33 AM »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6155 on: April 11, 2020, 11:32:49 AM »

gets more interesting towards the end

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6156 on: April 11, 2020, 11:45:45 AM »
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bc-covid-19-maintenance-phase-april-easter-1.5528959

BC is doing really well.  At one point they were leading Canada in cases (probably due to testing levels).

Hospitalizations and active cases of COVID-19 have been stagnant for the last 10 days. The number of new cases and deaths continues to increase, but at a slower rate than two weeks ago.

"We're showing very strong signs the situation is under control, so to speak," said Mohsen Sadatsafavi, a University of British Columbia professor specializing in disease modelling and projection.

This is where I think most of the world will be heading for the next few years.  Get control of the situation, ramp up testing, then open up the economy again but stay on top of outbreaks, like south Korea did initially.  So it's basically do a lot of work so we can get back to South Korean strategy.

Whenever B.C.'s next stage of mitigation comes, the government will have to implement a system to make sure any potential outbreak can be quickly contained.

Coombs said one model that could work would be to cycle through physical distancing measures for certain groups, while taking extra precaution for elderly and high-risk populations.

"That was a picture [from modelling in the United Kingdom] of what could happen going forward, and we're trying to develop our own pictures which is specific to the B.C. context."

Luck and early preparation flattening B.C.'s COVID-19 curve, but officials urge residents to 'not let up'

Another "attractive strategy," said Coombs, would be to pair easing of restrictions with dramatically increasing testing and rapid contact tracing.

"If you're going to go back to normal activities, it would be like 'OK, there's any sign of an outbreak, any person has been positive at work, immediately the [health] unit should be dispatched, the person should be tested, very meticulous contact tracing should be done,' " said Sadatsafavi.

"But that requires an order of magnitude of higher testing capacity than what we have now."

Verdigris Murder

• #metoo
« Reply #6157 on: April 11, 2020, 01:23:06 PM »
I swear to god that this thing is going to be a social catastrophe for the poor. And what's more, the fact that social services and those who provide support for struggling families have their movements limited doubles down on that fact.

On the upside, I'm really enjoying listening to the Giantbombcast as they slowly lose the thread!
:{]

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6158 on: April 11, 2020, 01:27:22 PM »
I'm going to be pretty angry if everything just goes back to normal after this in terms of welfare. 

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #6159 on: April 11, 2020, 01:31:00 PM »
I too would like some neet bux  :uguu
(ice)

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6160 on: April 11, 2020, 01:35:47 PM »
Going to be another bad day for the US and Canada.  Why no numbers for Germany or France?

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #6161 on: April 11, 2020, 01:38:38 PM »
Going to be another bad day for the US and Canada.  Why no numbers for Germany or France?

France just had the official communication. It's between 19h or 20h.
It trends in the right direction : less deaths in hospitals, less ICU admissions, less ICU beds occupied.
ὕβρις

Pennywise

« Reply #6162 on: April 11, 2020, 01:45:46 PM »
Germany 117.658 cases overall, +4.133 new cases, 2.544 overall fatalities.

Verdigris Murder

• #metoo
« Reply #6164 on: April 11, 2020, 01:54:49 PM »
I'm going to be pretty angry if everything just goes back to normal after this in terms of welfare.
I think that whatever scenario we end up with, life won't be how it was, even after a vaccine is found.
:{]

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #6165 on: April 11, 2020, 02:11:15 PM »
I'm naked with a towel around the waist, drinking beer. #CoronaGoals
ὕβρις

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6166 on: April 11, 2020, 02:22:50 PM »
Aint really naked if you are wearing a towel.  I'm naked with a shirt around my torso and underwear around my legs, not drinking beer because I'm out. 

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #6167 on: April 11, 2020, 02:29:15 PM »
Aint really naked if you are wearing a towel.  I'm naked with a shirt around my torso and underwear around my legs, not drinking beer because I'm out.

That towel could fall anytime  :bedroomeyes
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #6168 on: April 11, 2020, 03:06:55 PM »
ὕβρις

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6169 on: April 11, 2020, 04:17:43 PM »

:dead

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #6170 on: April 11, 2020, 04:47:27 PM »
I've been thinking more ho-hum whatever about coronavirus lately.
I realize I've adjusted to a near normal of thousands dying daily and not leaving the house after a month of it.  :stahp

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #6171 on: April 11, 2020, 04:47:45 PM »
COVID-19 twice as contagious as previously thought – CDC study | median R0 value is 5.7 (95% CI 3.8–8.9)

https://www.reddit.com/r/Coronavirus/comments/fzigif/covid19_twice_as_contagious_as_previously_thought/
ὕβρις

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6172 on: April 11, 2020, 04:50:32 PM »
According to the study’s authors point out that at least “82% of the population has to be immune, through either vaccination or prior infection, to achieve herd immunity to stop transmission.”

yikes

shosta

« Reply #6173 on: April 11, 2020, 04:52:09 PM »
razed_thoughts 7 points 11 minutes ago
Isn’t this a good thing? Doesn’t mean everyone probably has it?
每天生气

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6174 on: April 11, 2020, 04:53:24 PM »
ya, the comments in that subreddit seem to be idiotic.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #6176 on: April 11, 2020, 05:06:32 PM »
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/coronavirus-vaccine-could-be-ready-by-september-flmwl257x

Coronavirus vaccine could be ready by September

Sarah Gilbert, professor of vaccinology at Oxford University, told The Times she was “80 per cent confident” that the vaccine being developed by her team would work, with human trials due to begin in the next fortnight.

:larry
ὕβρις

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #6177 on: April 11, 2020, 05:08:01 PM »
back to work wagecucks  :success :trumps

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #6178 on: April 11, 2020, 05:16:01 PM »
"Working is cool again" - Larry Kudlow, April 10th 2020
🤴

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #6179 on: April 11, 2020, 05:17:54 PM »
If a vaccine will ever exist for it, it has likely already been invented. Which one works and won't kill you out of the dozens of ideas ranging from theory to test-ready is the issue.
Cost benefit is the real matter, coronavirus just isn't enough of a existential threat to merit drastic process rushing.