Author Topic: Sales Bore | Media Create And Other Sale Numbers |OT|  (Read 1188748 times)

Third

• BODY TALK
Maybe in NA. The X1 is dead in the other regions.

MS could still take NA if they can get their shit together. Europe and Japan are a lost cause.

Weren't there rumors of an April launch? If that's true, you'd think MS would want to start advertising that...

Yeah, Japanese launch is rumored to be in April. But MS should't even bother.

The console is gigantic
Kinect is gigantic
External PSU is gigantic
Japanese people don't seems to like big clumsy things in their small homes.

The Xbox brand is non-existent. Both Xbox consoles flopped, why should the X1 succeed? X360 had impressive Japanese dev support. But yet it tanked.

There are no Japanese exclusives announced(yet) for the X1. Platinum is rumored to be making a X1 exclusive. Look at the Wii U sales if you want to see what kind of impact Platinum has on hardware sales. (hint: NONE)

X1 apps are useless in Japan, just how they're currently useless in Europe. WHo the hell cares about nfl outside of NA?

It's more expensive than a Ps4. This blow alone will shoot the X1 into total irrelevance there.

Why should MS bother in Japan again?

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
In not-console-wars-land, Banished seems to be doing pretty good.  It's the top seller on Steam (beating out DayZ and Rust), has over 15,000 concurrent players and was made by one guy.

I wouldn't be surprised if it reaches 100k copies in a week or so.

I'm really interested in trying this out, and if I didn't have several games already that I need to be playing I'd probably have bought this already.
dog

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
MS kind of isn't bothering in Japan actually. That's why it's a tier two launch country. They threw a bunch of money and effort at the 360 in Japan and it was ultimately a rather futile endeavor. Sure some of their PR people are saying Japan is important of course but what the fuck do you expect them to say? They can't freely state 'Yeah Glorious Nippon is a lost cause they no likey baka gaijin console :usacry '
Hi

Trent Dole

Thinking back their marketing was kind of bad/misguided... so sure effort wasn't quite there as much as it could have been. :P
Hi

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
In not-console-wars-land, Banished seems to be doing pretty good.  It's the top seller on Steam (beating out DayZ and Rust), has over 15,000 concurrent players and was made by one guy.

I wouldn't be surprised if it reaches 100k copies in a week or so.

I'm really interested in trying this out, and if I didn't have several games already that I need to be playing I'd probably have bought this already.

i'm just hoping it means another mainline anno game.

archnemesis

I'd rather have another Settlers game from Bluebyte.

Banished is pretty fun.

Rahxephon91

I guess PS4's are all sold out in the Chicago land area. Checking store inventories because I was thinking of getting one tomorrow and nothing from the usual places.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
If it were 10:1 Sony fantards would be a lot more bearable. As it is, MS is still a threat to the Sony Empire (tm).

Maybe in NA. The X1 is dead in the other regions.

MS could still take NA if they can get their shit together. Europe and Japan are a lost cause.

Weren't there rumors of an April launch? If that's true, you'd think MS would want to start advertising that...

Why bother? PS4 is launching in two days, and I've only seen its TV ad run TWICE, and that was in the last week. So much for a media blitz by either console.

But what the others wrote about Xbone is true in Japan; it's a lost cause. 360 had J-dev exclusives, and a weird attempt to cultivate an elite brand around it through destination salons and such... weird. None of it amounted to anything more than venting cash into a vacuum.

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
annoyingly, the 360 did end up stealing away the predominant share of the 2D shooters that came out to retail release in Japan for last gen, almost all of them console exclusive on a region locked system.

shit.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Yeah, that's another joy of Japanese publishers: "Let's make sure to launch this so it's locked to Japanese 360s only, even if we have no plan to launch this outside of the Japanese territory." I have never been able to suss out why people will region-lock when they don't have to, if there's no legal reason not to. I mean, I get it that some western publishers could theoretically see the individual-importer audience already has their copy... but couldn't that also be considered an indicator of overall consumer interest?

I'll pair that with an annoying habit of some publishers, i.e. EA, who put their Asia-region games locked to actual Asia-region, whereas most publishers use "Asia Region" as a shorthand for non-region-locked. Those are always a disappointment upon returning home.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 05:03:28 AM by chronovore »

DCharlieJP

• the ex-XFE, now 3rd in-line for SFE
  • Icon
MS could be poised to absorb Nintendo if reports are true....

.... however, this would be like swallowing fucking SHIT CANCER where you get infected with BANAL SHIT

Nintendo are living in the shade of the average tree where they constantly hand out mediocrity

I saw you with Pikmin 3 under your arm - standing in the middle of a loooooooooooong queue :/
O=X

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
still worked tho

Only for one post, though.  :(

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
Yeah, that's another joy of Japanese publishers: "Let's make sure to launch this so it's locked to Japanese 360s only, even if we have no plan to launch this outside of the Japanese territory." I have never been able to suss out why people will region-lock when they don't have to, if there's no legal reason not to. I mean, I get it that some western publishers could theoretically see the individual-importer audience already has their copy... but couldn't that also be considered an indicator of overall consumer interest?

I'll pair that with an annoying habit of some publishers, i.e. EA, who put their Asia-region games locked to actual Asia-region, whereas most publishers use "Asia Region" as a shorthand for non-region-locked. Those are always a disappointment upon returning home.

Hehe yeah without region lock those games could have sold a few thousand copies more, which for such a niche product is a lot.

Third

• BODY TALK
Bandai Namco are reporting that Sony only shipped 350k PS4 units during the JAP launch

That would be pretty underwhelming

Rahxephon91

Got myself a PS4.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Bandai Namco are reporting that Sony only shipped 350k PS4 units during the JAP launch

Gotta induce those false-shortages.

Got myself a PS4.

How!? They're sold out everywhere because of #TheThirst!

Mupepe

• Icon
I got a ps4 off a friend today. Got the system, an extra controller, bf4, ghosts, AC and FIFA. Got it cheap because he was bored of it. "No games" is what he said. What up ps4 brethren!

larrydavid

I miss when this thread was Oscar hint exclusives. Ever since that one person blabbed in an NPD thread he's (justifiably) clammed up but it sucks.

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
Well idiots kept on feeding that autistic schlub, gave him a name, and he kept coming back like a street cat.
Unzip

Bebpo

No shortages in sight in Japan today it seems.  < 80k launch incoming... yikes

I mean, not reaaaaally unexpected when there's no software for the audience yet.  Will be a slowwwww riser in Japan as games trickle out over the next couple of years.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
Welp, so much for PS4 being the savior of Japanese console games like others have said. Not that I thought it would do that great over there anyways...
^_^

Bebpo

No shortages in sight in Japan today it seems.  < 80k launch incoming... yikes

I mean, not reaaaaally unexpected when there's no software for the audience yet.  Will be a slowwwww riser in Japan as games trickle out over the next couple of years.

nobody cares about home consoles here anymore, man.

I know you're there and I'm in the US, but I just don't see it.  3rd party games that aren't FF/DQ are still selling in the 100-500k range on PS3.  Yeah that's worse than the 100k-800k range of the PS2 for non-FF/DQ games, but it's not like DEAD drops.  Probably about half the market size as the heyday of the PS2 era.  But it's not like the market has moved to the 3DS or Vita or PSP.  They have a bigger market share than before but the games are still selling in the 50k-500k range that PS3 games do.  It looks from software sales like the handhelds stole a lot of marketshare from the consoles and now it's about 50/50 when it used to be 80/20 console/handheld spread.  Still seems a long way from consoles are dead.

And then if consoles do die out in Japan because of handhelds and then 3-5 years later handhelds die out in Japan because of mobile...do you really think that mobile can support the entire game industry of Japan?  The Tales games, the Gundam games, the Musou games, etc...?  I don't see it.  Right now Mobile is leeching the audience from handhelds because there's a ton of cross-over, but there's still a pretty big difference between console and handheld/mobile experiences.  I see the rift getting bigger and eventually Japan ending up with a console/mobile 50/50 split and dedicated handhelds being gone. 

PS3 did pretty shitty compared to the PS2 in Japan, but I still think PS3 ended up alright in game library out of Japan.  I think consoles are always going to have a place there.  Though maybe a console/handheld single system hybrid really is the future for non-mobile Japan.

Third

• BODY TALK
Ps4 will do fine in Japan. It will be the only console there that will play the next Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts and Grand Theft Auto.

Third

• BODY TALK
Sounds more like wishful thinking to me. Are you a bitter SEGAy fan by coincidence?

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
There's some strong denial at the GAF thread.

I remember reading about the PS2 Japanese launch.  Lines that extended for blocks.  JPN PS2s going for over $1000 in auctions.  Massive shortages that lasted for months because they were legitimately tapped out, not because of artificial shortages to keep up the hype.  People buying about 200,000 copies of Street Fighter EX3 because there was fuck all to play on it.
🍆🍆

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
Its not an artificial shortage if they cant make more you dope.

Stop trolling.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
I feel kind of bad for Bebpo.
yar

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
How can the Japanese be excited when majority of their favorite games are still targeting the PS3 like Persona 5?

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=101831003&postcount=2462

i have zero interest in a dumb PS4 launch livestream so i didn't click on this thread and so i had precisely zero idea this was going on.

of course nobody wants to make a "ps4 is bombing in japan" thread. it must come as a huge shock given their killer marketing:

« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 10:38:34 AM by headwalk »

How can you call out Cerny? He made Knack! What more do you want, man!?

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
Maybe if the minimum wage in Poland wasn't 399 euro then people could afford it  :-\

Still nice to see Sony making an effort as always and localizing so much stuff for the Polish market, its paying off as the economy is growing.

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
How can you call out Cerny? He made Knack! What more do you want, man!?
Knack 2.

Bebpo

"Do you think mobiles can support the entire games industry of Japan?"  No, I don't.  I don't expect the games industry in Japan to walk, Mr. Bepbuu~.  I expect it to die.

That's a pretty negative outlook that assumes that Japan lacks the ability to adapt and keeps itself afloat.  Not that there aren't prior examples of what you're saying, especially with the anime industry in particular.

Hopefully they smarten up, figure out a new business model and the talented creative staff keep making games for an audience.  If not, well they had a good run and it'll take me another 30+ years to get through my backlog of jrpgs, srpgs, vns and other good Japanese games.

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
Pretty sad situation in Japan

Guess Sony's best bet is that PS4 becomes the new Xbox in the US since that's the only region that still matters

Third

• BODY TALK
VR glasses will save the Ps4 in Japan.

VR hentai games will top the charts for years. You can quote me on that

Takao

Thinking back their marketing was kind of bad/misguided... so sure effort wasn't quite there as much as it could have been. :P

mr. x should be an unlockable character in killer instinct

thisismyusername

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=101831003&postcount=2462

i have zero interest in a dumb PS4 launch livestream so i didn't click on this thread and so i had precisely zero idea this was going on.

of course nobody wants to make a "ps4 is bombing in japan" thread. it must come as a huge shock given their killer marketing:

Ain't nobody got time for Killzone, tho.

Himu

This thread is too depressing :( Oscar you're making me cry
IYKYK

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
From the ashes, something will grow, himuchan.  Don't worry.
Shenmue 3 (Match 3 that is)
vin

Himu

Cannot wait for Suikoden VI in 2030 :hyper
IYKYK

Damian79

There is still hope with the controller adaptors for Ipads.

archie4208

c-can I talk about sales stuff other than consoles?

Garry's Mod and Rust have both grossed $30 million in revenue.

That means Rust has broke 1.5 million units sold as it hasn't went on sale yet.  Also, Rust has sold 500k units in less than 2 weeks.

Himu

Pretty good.
IYKYK

Trent Dole

x-man
:poop :poop :poop

mr. x should be an unlockable character in killer instinct
I'd not seen X-y before. :lol

That means Rust has broke 1.5 million units sold as it hasn't went on sale yet.  Also, Rust has sold 500k units in less than 2 weeks.
Yah, if AAA dies there'll still be cool weird indie shit to fuck around with. 8)
Hi

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator

Be a naked caveman, brehs.
dog

Rahxephon91

I don't really expect much in the way of Japanese games when it comes to the PS4. Thats just the way things are. Japanese comes on the PS3 and 360 were lacking after the first few years.

Third

• BODY TALK

Hmmm

thisismyusername

http://i.imgur.com/hFY5mmE.png

Hmmm

Player fluncuations based on platforms around the world on different time-zones?

(Image removed from quote.)

Hmmm

Based on this statistic that is super relevant to sales, it looks like the PS4 right now is demolishing the PC, demonstrating a .08737132814462 percent increase in the number of players.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
VR glasses will save the Ps4 in Japan.

VR hentai games will top the charts for years. You can quote me on that

:rofl

a slime appears

• retro king
PS4 bombed in Japan? Are you guys being serious or just trollin?

archnemesis

It didn't sell out everywhere immediately. We'll get the actual numbers in a few days.

a slime appears

• retro king
It didn't sell out everywhere immediately. We'll get the actual numbers in a few days.

Wow, that's kinda surprising.

Then again mobile has it's death grip on that country so maybe expecting consumers to pay that much for a game system they can't take with them on a train is kind of ridiculous in this day and age.

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace

Apparently sometime monday.

Should be interesting to see what the numbers where and what was actually shipped.

archnemesis

I'm expecting it to sell well the first week and then it will drop for the next three or four weeks. Metal Gear will cause a bump and then it will drop again. It will not take off until there are a few popular exclusives titles for it. Yakuza, musou, Gran Turismo, Final Fantasy and all the other classics will sell fine on the system.

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
With how dire the situation is in Japan, coupled with the price tag and reluctance to transition as shown by the number of cross gen games, I'd be really surprised if the PS4 stabilizes above 15k the first year.
Unzip

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
Ill laugh my ass off if it beats ps2/3 launch too

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
They can beat the PS2 in spirit

Look the PS2 killed the Dreamcast, so the PS4 has to kill both the PS2s spirit and the Xbox brand which falsely pretended to be Sega.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 12:45:13 PM by Lagerless »