Author Topic: Corona Thread |OT| Nu variant, who dis?  (Read 1082636 times)

T-Short

• hooker strangler
Re: Corona Thread |OT| Warlords of Rona
« Reply #9660 on: June 30, 2020, 03:48:52 PM »
Oh, there is also a national recommendation to work from home when you can. Personally, I started my internship on March 23:rd, and I've only been at the office two times since then.
地平線

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #9661 on: June 30, 2020, 03:55:25 PM »
Nate Silver's going to get downgraded to Nate Iron at this rate. (There is already a Nate Bronze which is Nate Cohn at the NY Times).

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9662 on: June 30, 2020, 03:58:42 PM »
Nate Silver's going to get downgraded to Nate Iron at this rate. (There is already a Nate Bronze which is Nate Cohn at the NY Times).

Iron is actually really useful, though. Imma go with Nate Slag.
dog

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #9663 on: June 30, 2020, 04:07:27 PM »

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #9664 on: June 30, 2020, 04:09:58 PM »
Nate's finally figured it out. Things are either definitely going up, definitely going down, or definitely staying the same.

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1277619134616961026
©@©™

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #9665 on: June 30, 2020, 04:14:05 PM »
I respect Nate's grift. All he had to do was predict that Obama would defeat Romney by looking at polls from other people and he created an entire brand around it.  8)
🤴

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #9666 on: June 30, 2020, 04:42:01 PM »
A lot of you underrating orange man bad as a factor.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #9667 on: June 30, 2020, 04:55:30 PM »
And where does the fractured political climate come from in the first place?  This ridiculous "'merican" attitude is where it comes from.
This tendency of FPTP voting to favour two-party systems in conjuction with the US being the oldest democracy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duverger%27s_law

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #9668 on: June 30, 2020, 04:57:19 PM »
Nate's finally figured it out. Things are either definitely going up, definitely going down, or definitely staying the same.

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1277619134616961026
major outbreaks in every state... case counts surpassing records... hospitals at capacity... larger impacted area than in April... it could go down though who knows
每天生气

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #9669 on: June 30, 2020, 04:59:57 PM »
Here's our ICU numbers, down to 145 today from a peak of 558. Graph is displaying 2020-03-30 to 2020-06-30, blue is hard numbers and grey is estimates:

Here's our death rate trend graph (up until yesterday, 23 more added today), from the very lovely Covid Trends:

And here's the age bracket breakdown of our Covid-19 deaths:

« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 05:27:42 PM by Hyoushi »
地平線

T-Short

• hooker strangler
地平線

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #9671 on: June 30, 2020, 05:15:13 PM »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #9672 on: June 30, 2020, 05:16:01 PM »
Keep wankers in wank thread. 

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #9676 on: June 30, 2020, 05:37:21 PM »

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #9677 on: June 30, 2020, 05:39:12 PM »
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jun/30/us-buys-up-world-stock-of-key-covid-19-drug?CMP=fb_gu&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1593543253

Hill said there was a way for the UK to secure supplies of this and other drugs during the pandemic, through what is known as a compulsory licence, which overrides the intellectual property rights of the company. That would allow the UK government to buy from generic companies in Bangladesh or India, where Gilead’s patent is not recognised.

:shh

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #9678 on: June 30, 2020, 06:01:36 PM »
https://twitter.com/NicoleSGrigg/status/1276705287060086785

Looot of old people about to be left to die simply because folks couldn't chill the fuck out and wear masks. Nothing asked or required was outrageous. No one was being asked to die on a beach in Normandy. No one was asked to stop buying meat to support the war effort. You were asked to wear a mask, and couldn't do it.
 :kobeyuck

Himu

« Reply #9679 on: June 30, 2020, 06:10:53 PM »

Where  is Nate Gold when we need him?
IYKYK

Tripon

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #9681 on: June 30, 2020, 06:49:44 PM »
My ex wife’s sister in law lives in Arizona and she’s in a huge fight with her family who are insisting that her and her kids come to a huge family reunion in Idaho in two weeks. These are the dumbest fucking people alive.
vin

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #9682 on: June 30, 2020, 07:20:08 PM »
MIL works in a library that was just shut down as an employee tested positive.  :-\

also she was mandated to get tested but they charged her $100 wtf.  :maf

Himu

« Reply #9683 on: June 30, 2020, 07:23:13 PM »
My ex wife’s sister in law lives in Arizona and she’s in a huge fight with her family who are insisting that her and her kids come to a huge family reunion in Idaho in two weeks. These are the dumbest fucking people alive.

Ex wife :fbm
IYKYK

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #9684 on: June 30, 2020, 07:30:15 PM »
At +45,250 today.  US hasn't been under 40K in the last 6 days including today. 
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 08:08:25 PM by Madrun Badrun »

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #9685 on: June 30, 2020, 07:33:26 PM »

:fbm

I didn't know this

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #9687 on: June 30, 2020, 08:01:11 PM »

:fbm

I didn't know this
it’s been like two and a half years. We still own a house together and are roommates 🤷‍♀️
vin

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #9688 on: June 30, 2020, 08:07:02 PM »
https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2020/06/30/black-lives-matter-protests-did-not-cause-an-uptick-in-covid-19-cases

makes sense for various reasons when you're looking at stats for the entire populace of an area; one salient point they touch on being the protests resulted in further business closures and more reason for those not on the streets (the majority of people tbh) to isolate further.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
DEMONSTRATING CAN be a dangerous activity, even in the best of circumstances. During a pandemic, it can be lethal. When mass protests against police brutality broke out in America earlier this month, following the death of George Floyd at the hands of policemen in Minneapolis, public-health experts worried they would lead to a surge in infections. Anthony Fauci, a leading member of the White House’s coronavirus task-force, called the protests “the perfect set-up” for the spread of the virus. Eric Garcetti, the mayor of Los Angeles, warned that the gatherings could become “super-spreader events”.

This was more than scaremongering. SARS-CoV-2, the virus which causes covid-19, is spread through droplets of moisture produced when an infected person speaks, coughs or sneezes. Large, crowded gatherings can contribute to the spread of the virus, especially when those involved are shouting and chanting slogans—projecting droplets farther into the air. Police tactics such as spraying tear-gas, herding protesters into contained areas and rounding up troublemakers into police vans and jail cells also increase the risk of infection.

But the available evidence suggests that this month’s Black Lives Matter protests have not contributed to a surge in covid-19 cases. In a new working paper, researchers from Bentley University, the University of Colorado and San Diego State University used mobile-phone data from SafeGraph, a geolocation data firm, and covid-19 case data from the Centres for Disease Control and Prevention to determine whether the protests were associated with less social-distancing behaviour and more covid-19 cases. In fact, the opposite was true.

Using data from 315 American cities with at least 100,000 people, covering the period mid-May to mid-June, the researchers compared the experience of the 281 cities where protests erupted with the 34 where they did not. One third of protesting cities saw large-scale gatherings with 1,000 or more attendees, making those particular regions more susceptible to another outbreak. Nonetheless, they found that the protests had no significant effect one way or the other on the incidence of covid-19.

They also found one possible—and surprising-—reason for this. Protests were actually associated with an increase in social-distancing behaviour; for example, residents overall spent an additional 0.18 hours, or 11 minutes, per day at home (see chart). In other words, any time that residents spent protesting in the streets was more than offset by time other people spent baking bread and watching Netflix.
These results could be driven by a number of factors. Those choosing not to protest might have avoided going outside because of concern for their personal safety amid increased crime and violence. That some businesses were temporarily closed because of looting made going out even less appealing. Some residents may have stayed home because of a higher perceived risk of catching the coronavirus. Finally, increased road closures and blockages may have also discouraged citizens from leaving their homes.

As cases soar across the country, particularly in states such as Texas and Arizona, many Americans will be eager to point fingers. So far, the evidence suggests that protesters are not to blame.
[close]
◕‿◕

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9689 on: June 30, 2020, 09:28:59 PM »
Texas just had its worst day so far: 7,959 compared to a previous high of 6,177 on June 24.
dog

Tripon

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #9691 on: June 30, 2020, 10:08:35 PM »
I really fucking miss staying safe in the woods away from the crazies. I absolutely do not trust the dumbshits I work with to report if they’re sick.

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #9692 on: June 30, 2020, 10:58:47 PM »
https://twitter.com/10TampaBay/status/1276527556825620480

I was going to take that bet from either James or shosta (50,000 US cases per day by Tuesday). Dodged a bullet.

Note to self: Do not take bets and build a wall around Canada.

So... about that

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #9693 on: June 30, 2020, 11:09:26 PM »
Will hit 50k this week.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #9694 on: July 01, 2020, 01:16:56 AM »
The mayor of the city I drive into for groceries:

A personal statement by me as the Mayor of Sandy and not a representation of feelings by our collective Sandy City Council:

The City of Sandy received notice today threatening legal action from the Oregon Health Authority if we don’t comply with the Governors Executive Order and cancel our annual Independence Day Fireworks display. My gut instinct is to fight this, but as your mayor I can’t allow your tax dollars to go to a costly legal battle with so many other demands on our city. Our Governor and her power-hungry bureaucracy have bullied our citizens out of being able to celebrate Independence Day. I am devastated to announce the celebration is cancelled.

Independence Day is more than fireworks and ice cream. It is the spark that ignited the most revered democracy in the history of the world. We celebrate because without it, we would have remained under the thumb of our oppressors and would have never inspired democracy and freedom in so many places around the globe. Without it, there would be no Constitution or Bill of Rights. Without it, we would not enjoy the liberty and freedom we have today. Or at least the liberty and freedom we are supposed to have.

I am more than disappointed that our Governor looks the other way as Portland’s “peaceful” rioters have turned that city into a warzone of boarded-up buildings, terrified commuters and lawless streets. While self-described anarchists set fires and deface private and public property, Governor Brown has turned her attention to stop families in Sandy from safely enjoying a sense of community we haven’t been able to share in many months. Apparently, a seven year-old with a sparkler is a greater threat to her political ambitions than an angry rioter pelting police with rocks and balloons full of urine.

We are Sandy, Oregon. Not Portland. Not Salem. The governor’s bully tactics to force you back into the shadow of fear and oppression are exactly what our founding fathers fought against when we won our Independence. I encourage all residents of Sandy to safely celebrate Independence Day neighborhood by neighborhood. Come together as communities in the way our founding fathers did and have the discussions about whether we will allow this tyrannical Governor to stop our personal freedoms, or whether we will insist on the liberty of freedom we are guaranteed. God bless you and your families this Independence Day.

https://www.facebook.com/247565365737834/posts/874634279697603/

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #9695 on: July 01, 2020, 01:36:59 AM »
Appreciate the response @Hyoushi

Oblivion

« Reply #9696 on: July 01, 2020, 02:00:59 AM »

Where  is Nate Gold when we need him?

i thought nate cohn WAS nate gold?  :doge

Oblivion

« Reply #9697 on: July 01, 2020, 02:23:34 AM »
https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2020/06/30/black-lives-matter-protests-did-not-cause-an-uptick-in-covid-19-cases

makes sense for various reasons when you're looking at stats for the entire populace of an area; one salient point they touch on being the protests resulted in further business closures and more reason for those not on the streets (the majority of people tbh) to isolate further.

spoiler (click to show/hide)

DEMONSTRATING CAN be a dangerous activity, even in the best of circumstances. During a pandemic, it can be lethal. When mass protests against police brutality broke out in America earlier this month, following the death of George Floyd at the hands of policemen in Minneapolis, public-health experts worried they would lead to a surge in infections. Anthony Fauci, a leading member of the White House’s coronavirus task-force, called the protests “the perfect set-up” for the spread of the virus. Eric Garcetti, the mayor of Los Angeles, warned that the gatherings could become “super-spreader events”.

This was more than scaremongering. SARS-CoV-2, the virus which causes covid-19, is spread through droplets of moisture produced when an infected person speaks, coughs or sneezes. Large, crowded gatherings can contribute to the spread of the virus, especially when those involved are shouting and chanting slogans—projecting droplets farther into the air. Police tactics such as spraying tear-gas, herding protesters into contained areas and rounding up troublemakers into police vans and jail cells also increase the risk of infection.

But the available evidence suggests that this month’s Black Lives Matter protests have not contributed to a surge in covid-19 cases. In a new working paper, researchers from Bentley University, the University of Colorado and San Diego State University used mobile-phone data from SafeGraph, a geolocation data firm, and covid-19 case data from the Centres for Disease Control and Prevention to determine whether the protests were associated with less social-distancing behaviour and more covid-19 cases. In fact, the opposite was true.

Using data from 315 American cities with at least 100,000 people, covering the period mid-May to mid-June, the researchers compared the experience of the 281 cities where protests erupted with the 34 where they did not. One third of protesting cities saw large-scale gatherings with 1,000 or more attendees, making those particular regions more susceptible to another outbreak. Nonetheless, they found that the protests had no significant effect one way or the other on the incidence of covid-19.

They also found one possible—and surprising-—reason for this. Protests were actually associated with an increase in social-distancing behaviour; for example, residents overall spent an additional 0.18 hours, or 11 minutes, per day at home (see chart). In other words, any time that residents spent protesting in the streets was more than offset by time other people spent baking bread and watching Netflix.
These results could be driven by a number of factors. Those choosing not to protest might have avoided going outside because of concern for their personal safety amid increased crime and violence. That some businesses were temporarily closed because of looting made going out even less appealing. Some residents may have stayed home because of a higher perceived risk of catching the coronavirus. Finally, increased road closures and blockages may have also discouraged citizens from leaving their homes.

As cases soar across the country, particularly in states such as Texas and Arizona, many Americans will be eager to point fingers. So far, the evidence suggests that protesters are not to blame.
[close]

not surprising. the protesters have demonstrated more basic responsibility when it comes to shit like wearing masks than any MAGA chud in the country

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #9698 on: July 01, 2020, 07:36:50 AM »
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-usa-june-idUSKBN2412PN?utm_source=reddit.com

Coronavirus cases more than doubled in 14 U.S. states in the month of June, including California, Florida and Texas, a Reuters analysis on Tuesday showed.

Arizona recorded the biggest jump in cases for the month at 294%, followed by South Carolina at 200% and Arkansas at 179%. Cases also more than doubled in Alabama, Alaska, Idaho, Nevada, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Oregon and Utah.

Nationally cases rose by at least 46% and deaths increased by 21%.

Cases increased by less than 10% in June in just four states - New York, Massachusetts, Connecticut and New Jersey.

New York, once the epicenter of the U.S. epidemic, saw cases rise by about 6% in June - the lowest rate in the country - after strict lockdown and social distancing measures were put in place to help bring the disease under control.

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #9699 on: July 01, 2020, 08:15:51 AM »
Appreciate the response @Hyoushi

Give me a shout if you are curious about any specifics!
地平線

Tripon

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #9702 on: July 01, 2020, 10:46:42 AM »
I would like this trend.  Sports to re-open, just broadcasted from Canada

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/1278297602128216067

Send the NFL to Saskatchewan, I say: make them play on big fields. 

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #9703 on: July 01, 2020, 11:00:52 AM »
https://twitter.com/ReutersWorld/status/1276628146092232712

So, do we need to start looking at pneumonia deaths/excessive death rates for all of 2019 also?  But only one sample? Seems like there should be more if they look.

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #9704 on: July 01, 2020, 11:05:09 AM »
"There was the potential for a false positive due to the virus’ similarities with other respiratory infections."

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #9705 on: July 01, 2020, 11:09:00 AM »
https://twitter.com/10TampaBay/status/1276527556825620480

I was going to take that bet from either James or shosta (50,000 US cases per day by Tuesday). Dodged a bullet.

Note to self: Do not take bets and build a wall around Canada.

So... about that
+46,042
are you dumb

shosta cannot lose.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9706 on: July 01, 2020, 11:40:52 AM »
https://twitter.com/ReutersWorld/status/1276628146092232712

Yeah, I just don't see this being possible. We saw what a covid outbreak does to hospitals in major cities, they get completely overwhelmed in short order. None of that was happening last year.
dog

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #9707 on: July 01, 2020, 12:02:45 PM »
Thats what the globalists want you to believe :rollsafe
(ice)

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #9709 on: July 01, 2020, 12:22:35 PM »
Worried about my dad, he's been running a fever since Saturday. The doctor gave him antibiotics, but they haven't done anything. He's trying to get a COVID test scheduled today, but it might be next week before he knows anything and meanwhile one of their neighbors tested positive.
©@©™

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #9710 on: July 01, 2020, 12:26:37 PM »
Hope he gets better soon dude. 

Tripon

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 01:47:08 PM by Madrun Badrun »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #9714 on: July 01, 2020, 02:03:12 PM »
🤴

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #9715 on: July 01, 2020, 02:10:16 PM »
California is +9,740 and 110 deaths.  https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/fauci-gives-grim-warning-texas-224935502.html

Seems like that 50K bet will be a day off. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #9716 on: July 01, 2020, 02:12:37 PM »
https://www.newsweek.com/houston-icus-reach-102-capacity-hospitals-face-crisis-amid-coronavirus-surge-1514800

Houston ICUs Reach 102% Capacity

"We are actively trying to transfer out ICU [intensive care unit] and surge patients that are COVID positive and under investigation, just because we don't have the capacity to treat those patients," McMurray-Horton said.

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/07/01/coronavirus-texas-houston-hospitals-cases-surge/

HOUSTON — At Lyndon B. Johnson Hospital on Sunday, the medical staff ran out of both space for new coronavirus patients and a key drug needed to treat them. With no open beds at the public hospital, a dozen COVID-19 patients who were in need of intensive care were stuck in the emergency room, awaiting transfers to other Houston area hospitals, according to a note sent to the staff and shared with reporters.

Houston region, where the number of patients hospitalized with COVID-19 has nearly quadrupled since Memorial Day. As of Tuesday, more than 3,000 people were hospitalized for the coronavirus in the region, including nearly 800 in intensive care.

What’s happening in Houston draws eerie parallels to New York City in late March, when every day brought steep increases in the number of patients seeking care at overburdened hospitals — though, so far, with far fewer deaths. But as coronavirus cases surge in Texas, state officials here have not reimplemented the same lockdown measures that experts say helped bring New York’s outbreak under control, raising concern among public health officials that Houston won’t be able to flatten the curve.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 02:18:44 PM by Madrun Badrun »

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #9717 on: July 01, 2020, 02:23:02 PM »
https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1278126553428262914

I think you have to start charging people with a crime for this

Public intoxication.

Cause it's Corona, and they have it.

Get it? Corona is a beer, and it's also the virus.

:rodney

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #9719 on: July 01, 2020, 02:30:48 PM »