Author Topic: Is the world burning?  (Read 244689 times)

Mandark

• Icon
Re: Is the world burning?
« Reply #2100 on: June 05, 2020, 07:01:13 AM »
Seems to me like they "get it" just fine how often these "peaceful protests" around the nation have come with vandalism, arson, theft, robbery, and murder.

Remember those dudes in Fishtown who attacked a reporter just for recording what they were doing out in the open?

If you're so concerned that a group of people may turn to mob violence, why assume the good intentions of this group of (armed) people? What precludes the possibility that they may act violent?

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #2101 on: June 05, 2020, 07:17:11 AM »
Seems to me like they "get it" just fine how often these "peaceful protests" around the nation have come with vandalism, arson, theft, robbery, and murder.  Their right to assembly is being exercised too, and their message is more coherent. 

Better a clear deterrent presence showing strength and self-reliance than waiting on police to show up

Premise 1: If you see members of a group committing violence repeatedly, you can impute those crimes the group as a whole and respond accordingly.

(And of course, the various shitheel cops who have shown up and attacked people not doing anything, and yes, they deserve to be prosecuted.

Premise 2: Members of the police have been filmed committing violence repeatedly.

Conclusion: :pika

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #2102 on: June 05, 2020, 07:45:04 AM »

Like seriously, even the most leftist union-loving derps among you have to, if you think about, scratch your head and wonder why a public employee needs a union - they work for you.  You pay them.  If they're being mistreated by their employer or whatever reason you all commonly wheel out for unions being a good thing, the remedy is they tell you, the voter, and you vote out the people in charge.  If you think they deserve a pay raise or a pay cut, you vote for that and it happens.  How is it in your interest as a citizen or a taxpayer to have this middleman?  It isn't, whatever you think about private unions... it isn't, and it never will be.  So why tolerate it?  It's incomprehensible.)

I'll talk about other countries because I don't want a debate about NACAB, but people who do jobs that benefit society tend to do so for vocational or aspirational reasons, not for personal financial benefit, and as such are routinely pushed to their limits by people trying to save a buck who put no monetary value on doing a job correctly.

And they mostly get away with it, because teachers don't want to see children deprived of an education, nurses and doctors in state funded hospitals don't want to see sick people go untreated, social workers don't want to see vulnerable people left without assistance, and police don't want to see neighbourhoods and communities that they may even live in go to shit.

They remove personal guilt from people doing those jobs that it is not being 'selfish' to demand things like maximum worked hours per week or a minimum livable wage, and to let them know that they are not alone struggling. People who only care about the finances would happily make social services privatised and turned into for-profit organisations, as it absolves the state of certain responsibilities it has to its citizens.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #2103 on: June 05, 2020, 08:11:41 AM »
https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2460202

We estimate the impact of nurse unions on health care quality using patient discharge data and the universe of hospital unionizations in California between 1996 and 2005. We find that hospitals with a successful union election outperform hospitals with a failed election in 12 of 13 nurse sensitive patient outcomes measures. We also find that hospitals with a unionization drive are establishments with declining quality as measured by patient outcomes. When such declines are accounted for using hospital-specific trends, we find that unionized hospitals also outperform hospitals without any union election in the same 12 of 13 outcome measures.The timing of the quality improvement is consistent with a causal impact: the largest changes occur precisely in the year of unionization. The biggest improvements are found in the incidence of metabolic derangement, pulmonary failure, and central nervous system disorders such as depression and delusion, where the estimated changes are between 15% and 60% of the mean incidence for those measures. Dynamic estimates confirm that the improvements in health care outcomes occur within the first two years following nurse unionization.

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
« Reply #2104 on: June 05, 2020, 08:25:35 AM »
It's not even 8:30 AM and I've seen videos of cops groping and then beating a woman for resisting and throwing another woman to the ground for asking "why her" and 5 more cops swarming an already downed woman, as well as cops having a dog bite the shit out of a dude on the ground and cuffed  :pacspit fuck this country

That the one when the cop gropes her then apparently they need five to one woman? Loved how the guy who groped her got popped and she managed to free herself for a moment.

These cops are fucked in the head.

jorma

« Reply #2105 on: June 05, 2020, 09:01:50 AM »
In my own experience, unions are far from useless.
HR departments tho? Why even bother, they are always trash.  :lol

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #2106 on: June 05, 2020, 09:05:55 AM »
I was just thinking, best chance to flip jaydubya on this is to explain to him that labor unions are the underlying problem.

:bernie

Tasty

« Reply #2107 on: June 05, 2020, 09:11:14 AM »
lol cops might as well be aliens at this point wtf

:piss :cop :piss2

They Live remake but instead of aliens being everyone they're just cops and authority figures

Climax takes place in the White House

Cryo

« Reply #2108 on: June 05, 2020, 09:46:32 AM »
Explain to me again why you want a middleman so you can't hire or promote or increase pay based upon merit, fire or demote or decrease pay directly on merit, but instead want seniority-based hierarchies and this secondary organization with its own distinct political influence and agenda between you and your employees?  If you really want to pay them more, whatever your motives, it's simple, you get enough other people to agree with you and you vote for more funds for police wages.
meritocracies don't exist in our universe, though.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #2109 on: June 05, 2020, 09:53:48 AM »
Of those, I recognize police as relevant to the topic; taxpayers shouldn't be footing any money for the employment of anyone else you mentioned, and a responsible state which respected our human rights would not.

So as a thought experiment, do you think society is generally more or less safe having a well educated, healthy and mentally sound population at large?
Let me put it more simply; do you think a society comprised of desperate individuals is more or less likely to be safe and in good order?

If you can envisage that a healthy society is comprised of healthy citizens, then it logically follows that those services are not in fact irrelevant to crime, and that if those aspects benefit society as a whole, it also benefits society to have those services exist at a decent quality by paying to ensure that.

If I understand you correctly, you're saying cops are cops for benevolent reasons and don't care so much about being paid, so they need a union to argue for them so they get paid better.

I'm saying that earning money is not a primary motivator for people who go into those kinds of jobs; they have alternate motivations.
Some of those motivations are benevolent to society (wishing to see a crime free and ordered society).
Others are not (wishing to exert power over others).

Their wage on the other hand is still a matter of them agreeing to work for an employer at a rate they and the employer agree upon.  We are the employer. 

Explain to me again why you want a middleman so you can't hire or promote or increase pay based upon merit, fire or demote or decrease pay directly on merit, but instead want seniority-based hierarchies and this secondary organization with its own distinct political influence and agenda between you and your employees?  If you really want to pay them more, whatever your motives, it's simple, you get enough other people to agree with you and you vote for more funds for police wages.

Why have managers in the private sector at all then?
It's the shareholders who pay peoples wages, so the shareholders should be free to dictate the terms under which employees work, and they can just leave if they don't like it.

Because the relationship between tax-payer and public sector worker is just as abstracted as that between a stock trader and a private employee.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #2110 on: June 05, 2020, 10:15:52 AM »
Uncle

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
« Reply #2111 on: June 05, 2020, 10:19:28 AM »
So it's over now right?

Ghoul

« Reply #2112 on: June 05, 2020, 10:21:05 AM »
What's the update on the old man with the broken dome

Maybe it is time to call in the military to put down the police

Two officers suspended, don't know any update about him personally.

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2114 on: June 05, 2020, 10:21:59 AM »
He was in hospital and stable last night. 

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #2115 on: June 05, 2020, 10:23:04 AM »
twitter.com/Satellit3Heart/status/1268863536299675648
Cops exposed giving preferential treatment to a group designated by the FBI as violent extremists? That's Justice June :trumps
每天生气

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2116 on: June 05, 2020, 11:22:51 AM »
for fuck sakes

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #2117 on: June 05, 2020, 11:23:46 AM »

That other cop is like "WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING ASSHOLE"

shosta

« Reply #2119 on: June 05, 2020, 11:33:52 AM »
每天生气

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot

Ghoul

« Reply #2121 on: June 05, 2020, 11:41:10 AM »

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
pcp

Ghoul

« Reply #2123 on: June 05, 2020, 12:00:59 PM »
Just watched that video, Why did he grab that child like Biden?

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2124 on: June 05, 2020, 12:04:32 PM »
Just watched that video, Why did he grab that child like Biden?

She was attempting to deface public property.
dog

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #2125 on: June 05, 2020, 12:17:32 PM »
You know what will fix racism? Keep electing white people born in the 1940's.

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #2126 on: June 05, 2020, 12:21:12 PM »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #2127 on: June 05, 2020, 12:45:18 PM »
https://twitter.com/lilyslynch/status/1268890164757172225
Why the hell would you do this. It's a disabled guy in a wheelchair  ???
🤴

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #2129 on: June 05, 2020, 12:50:06 PM »

Because his wheelchair was clearly about to transform into this  ::)

Margs

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #2130 on: June 05, 2020, 12:50:14 PM »

begin with the premise that someone is getting shot

you don't want to shoot a white karen who will karen all day on her social media about what happened to her

you don't want to shoot someone with the level of involvedness/agency to complain at town council meetings and action committees

you don't want to shoot an able-bodied person because then you have the chance of disabling them and creating a sob story
Uncle

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #2131 on: June 05, 2020, 12:50:25 PM »
Powerful speech from Trump

Hopefully, George is looking down right now and saying, ‘This is a great thing happening for our country,” Trump said of Floyd, who was killed in police custody last week. “A great day for him, a great day for everybody. This is great day for everybody.”

:doge :brain

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #2132 on: June 05, 2020, 12:51:31 PM »
beating the shit out  of homeless people is a longstanding treasured cop activity
pcp

Ghoul

« Reply #2133 on: June 05, 2020, 12:52:01 PM »

Because his wheelchair was clearly about to transform into this  ::)

(Image removed from quote.)

I raise you

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #2134 on: June 05, 2020, 12:57:54 PM »
Powerful speech from Trump

Hopefully, George is looking down right now and saying, ‘This is a great thing happening for our country,” Trump said of Floyd, who was killed in police custody last week. “A great day for him, a great day for everybody. This is great day for everybody.”

:doge :brain
Just wait when George Floyd hears the DOW hit 30k.
He's gonna be so happy his star will shine brighter.

Not to mention when Iran is defeated in honor of George Floyd  :salute
🤴

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
___

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #2136 on: June 05, 2020, 01:20:40 PM »
https://twitter.com/Robillard/status/1268943311752003584
Sounds like only 13% of Antifa needs to be jailed / droned to win in November  :thinking
🤴

BisMarckie

« Reply #2137 on: June 05, 2020, 01:31:22 PM »
https://twitter.com/Robillard/status/1268943311752003584

I get it, some of the footage is out of context, the media has been trying to downplay police violence and there is always some cognitive dissonance happenig.

But how can almost 6 out of 10 people say: This is fine or not enough even?

If those numbers are representative, the country is a lost cause.

shosta

« Reply #2138 on: June 05, 2020, 01:32:30 PM »
Most people aren't on Twitter getting inundated with police violence every day. They might see a few instances here and there but that can be explained away as isolated incidents.
每天生气

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2139 on: June 05, 2020, 01:33:26 PM »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot

BIONIC

« Reply #2141 on: June 05, 2020, 01:38:43 PM »
beating the shit out  of homeless people is a longstanding treasured cop activity

Also a Wahlberg family tradition.
Margs

Boredfrom

« Reply #2142 on: June 05, 2020, 01:41:16 PM »
Wait, what:

WTF

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2143 on: June 05, 2020, 01:42:18 PM »
Most people aren't on Twitter getting inundated with police violence every day. They might see a few instances here and there but that can be explained away as isolated incidents.

Yeah. TV media seems to be trying to be fair and balanced showing the looters as well. havent seen a lot of tv segments besides this one?

Last night Don Lemon on CNN was showing the footage of the Australian news crew get smacked around and the old guy getting his head cracked, and then contrasting it with the official police version of what happened.
dog

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #2144 on: June 05, 2020, 01:43:07 PM »
:yikes

imagine being 37 and "supporting" a company.

:girlaff

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #2145 on: June 05, 2020, 01:44:01 PM »
🤴

BIONIC

« Reply #2146 on: June 05, 2020, 01:45:40 PM »

Stuff like the Today Show (don’t ask why I know this  :doge) are still playing shit like a family dog cuddling a new born baby, or gushing over the Space X launch and calling it good news to lift the country’s spirit.

Tbf, they also showed the old dude getting pushed over on the concrete, but only for five seconds before transitioning to one of their chucklefuck hosts cooking some shit in his home.

The willful ignorance on display is insane.
Margs

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2147 on: June 05, 2020, 01:46:21 PM »
Wait, what:

WTF

Woah, everyone, we should definitely listen to the guy who struggles to get triple digit views on his videos, I think he's onto something!  :girlaff
dog

BisMarckie

« Reply #2148 on: June 05, 2020, 01:49:00 PM »
Wait, what:

WTF

Woah, everyone, we should definitely listen to the guy who struggles to get triple digits view on his videos, I think he's onto something!  :girlaff

FACT CHECK: Nobody wanted to read Kafka‘s stories when he was alive. :karen

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2149 on: June 05, 2020, 01:50:08 PM »
When this loser makes a video about turning into a giant cockroach, then I'll be interested in hearing him out. :win
dog

Boredfrom

« Reply #2150 on: June 05, 2020, 01:51:10 PM »
Hold this L, NYT Defense Force :ufup

https://twitter.com/PatrickCoffee/status/1268947229907259393

I mean, that actually sounds sketchy and a legit complain  rather than “we didn’t like the Opinion piece”. That actually sounds like someone in the OP-ED team should been kicked out.

Boredfrom

« Reply #2151 on: June 05, 2020, 01:52:16 PM »
Wait, what:

WTF

Are we supposed to know who that is, or...

Of course not. I’m just posting here because I wanted to mock him.

shosta

« Reply #2152 on: June 05, 2020, 01:52:26 PM »
Stuff like the Today Show (don’t ask why I know this  :doge)
all of us still reluctantly consume some level of normie news between our mountain dew fueled shitposting sessions, no shame in that :yeshrug

Anyway I don't know if it's entirely willful ignorance? I think traditional media is hesitant to really integrate the new, democratic media. During these protests it's clear that the best way to stay informed is to go on Twitter, follow people you trust, and see what they're sharing. In that model there's almost no role for traditional information filters. So it's no wonder they'd have trouble adapting. Of course I agree still that a lot of them just don't care at the end of the day
每天生气

BisMarckie

« Reply #2153 on: June 05, 2020, 01:55:11 PM »
When this loser makes a video about turning into a giant cockroach, then I'll be interested in hearing him out. :win

I expected a Final Fantasy VI reference. I won’t pretend that i am not disappointed.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #2154 on: June 05, 2020, 01:55:17 PM »

This is how a lot of pieces work in publishing

Nyt was prob like "this will generate a lot of traffic" lets get this guy to write a piece

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #2155 on: June 05, 2020, 01:55:24 PM »
He seems to have a pulse, maybe he can run for Senator of Alaska
🤴

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2156 on: June 05, 2020, 01:57:14 PM »

I expected a Final Fantasy VI reference. I won’t pretend that i am not disappointed.

:trumps
dog

Ghoul

« Reply #2157 on: June 05, 2020, 01:59:09 PM »

Boredfrom

« Reply #2158 on: June 05, 2020, 02:01:25 PM »
I mean, that actually sounds sketchy and a legit complain  rather than “we didn’t like the Opinion piece”. That actually sounds like someone in the OP-ED team should been kicked out.

Like I said the NYT uses the opinion page to intentionally turf all sorts of bullshit that wouldn't fly under the normal brand and has since forever,  turns out it's true and i was correct.

:trumps

Legit congrats. My issue was always people complaining about mixing opinion section with the opinion of the staff, but if the actual OP-ED team is fishing to have those takes then that actually changes my opinion of the situation.

Boredfrom

« Reply #2159 on: June 05, 2020, 02:02:42 PM »

This is how a lot of pieces work in publishing

Nyt was prob like "this will generate a lot of traffic" lets get this guy to write a piece

Then people have all the reason to complain about them promoting shitty and dangerous opinions.