Author Topic: The NBA thread  (Read 1520411 times)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
Re: The NBA thread
« Reply #19500 on: January 17, 2018, 03:53:08 PM »
Stephen A. Smith says that if the Cavaliers were to make a trade for Anthony Davis, they would become favorites to win the NBA championship over the Warriors.
:ohhh

etiolate

« Reply #19501 on: January 17, 2018, 04:29:05 PM »
What if they made a trade for Steph Curry?

mindsplode

etiolate

« Reply #19502 on: January 17, 2018, 04:35:36 PM »
The Pels are interesting because they don't fit the narrative the press had for them, so the press has largely ignored them. Even decent guys like BBallbreakdown admitted to not watching their games and uttered the bizarre claim that Jrue's defense was "meh". Press tend to only bring the Pels up to propose trading Boogie and Davis to the teams they want to cover.

NBA media only wants to pay attention to five teams, maybe seven tops. NY and LA end up two of those teams by default no matter how bad they are. There's always this element of resentment when a smaller market is in the playoff hunt. Lazy fucks.

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #19503 on: January 17, 2018, 04:45:25 PM »
if i'm not watching the wizards, i'm watching the pelicans

and okc to an extent

Nola

« Reply #19504 on: January 17, 2018, 08:49:08 PM »
Stephen A. Smith says that if the Cavaliers were to make a trade for Anthony Davis, they would become favorites to win the NBA championship over the Warriors.

The post-Boston hot takes today we're especially scorching. I think both of the videos on the ESPN Pelicans page were about where the Pels should trade Davis, nothing about the 45 he dropped in beating Boston yesterday.

On the one hand I can't blame them, until Cousins fell into their lap, they about managed to build around AD in the most anemic way possible, on the other hand, shut the fuck up about how the Pels are going to trade Davis for Terry Rozier or Kevin Love and Jose Calderon.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 08:58:39 PM by Nola »

Nola

« Reply #19505 on: January 17, 2018, 09:53:24 PM »
Today is also why the Pels only ever show up on the national TV radar when they play actual contenders....You show up and beat Boston and than put up 10 points in the 3rd quarter and lose to the Hawks.

Watching this franchise for 82 games should honestly be a qualifying question to diagnose masochistic-personality disorder.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #19506 on: January 18, 2018, 11:35:44 AM »

That's funny considering Davis would be hurt before the finals.  :dice
©ZH

etiolate

« Reply #19507 on: January 19, 2018, 05:57:00 PM »
Kings should do Hill to Cleveland as long as it doesn't involve TT's contract and no picks.

benjipwns

« Reply #19508 on: January 20, 2018, 02:02:05 AM »
Interesting new name popped up tonight after a few weeks of nothing much in the rumor column except for Stephen A's silliness:
Overloaded with bad contracts and untradeable assets, the Charlotte Hornets have made All-Star point guard Kemba Walker available in trade discussions, league sources told ESPN.
The Hornets had already made available Nicolas Batum (four years, $100 million), Dwight Howard (two years, $47 million), Marvin Williams (three years, $42 million) and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist (three years, $39 million), league sources said, but those players and their contracts are largely unattractive in the marketplace.
The Charlotte Hornets would like engage the Knicks on trade discussions involving All-Star point guard Kemba Walker but New York and Charlotte haven't yet had substantive discussions about a trade involving Walker, per league sources. It seems unlikely at this point that the Knicks will want to meet Charlotte's desired return.

Charlotte is hoping a Walker trade returns a good young player or a first-round pick, per ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski. The Knicks have first-round draft picks and a promising young player in Frank Ntilikina.

But the other part of Charlotte's request is a holdup for the Knicks. Wojnarowski reports that Charlotte appears eager to shed one of its less desirable contracts. That would mean the Knicks would likely need to take on extra salary to acquire Walker, which was something New York was hesitant to do in trading Carmelo Anthony over the summer.

Ian Begley, ESPN Staff Writer

etiolate

« Reply #19509 on: January 20, 2018, 06:25:46 PM »
1 4 8

El Babua

« Reply #19510 on: January 20, 2018, 06:33:44 PM »
Just saving that defense for the playoffs like last year  :doge

Nola

« Reply #19511 on: January 21, 2018, 01:30:51 AM »
So is Charlotte basically trying to do a half ass rebuild? Is that the idea?

Because I really am not following what their strategy is?

If you are rebuilding, fuck it, trade Kemba for the best haul you can get and ride out the contracts until they become more tolerable to move.

You only have one Kemba Walker on your roster, go get the Brooklyn pick from Cleveland or something and embrace the tank life.

agrajag

« Reply #19512 on: January 21, 2018, 02:40:53 AM »
Knock knock knocking on Cleveland's door

benjipwns

« Reply #19513 on: January 21, 2018, 05:13:38 AM »
Kevin Pelton tries to come up with some possibilities:
Hornets get: Guard Isaiah Thomas, center Channing Frye, Brooklyn 2018 first-round pick

Cavaliers get: Guard Kemba Walker, center Johnny O'Bryant
Hornets get: Guard Reggie Jackson, forwards Henry Ellenson, Stanley Johnson and Anthony Tolliver, draft picks

Pistons get: Guard Kemba Walker and forward Marvin Williams
:mouf*
Hornets get: Guard Darren Collison, forward Bojan Bogdanovic, center Al Jefferson, 2018 first-round pick

Pacers get: Guard Kemba Walker and center Dwight Howard

One interesting alternative: Indiana could take on the remaining three-plus years on Nicolas Batum's contract. Pacers president of basketball operations Kevin Pritchard acquired Batum in Portland (in a draft-night trade), and he would fill a need at small forward. Swapping Howard out of this deal for Batum would allow the Hornets to create far more long-term savings.
Hornets get: Guards Ron Baker, Jarrett Jack and Frank Ntilikina

Knicks get: Guard Kemba Walker
Hornets get: Guard Tyler Ulis, forwards Dragan Bender and Jared Dudley, centers Greg Monroe and Alan Williams

Suns get: Guards Michael Carter-Williams, Julyan Stone and Kemba Walker, centers Dwight Howard and Johnny O'Bryant

I've included 2016 No. 4 overall pick Dragan Bender here, but fellow 2016 lottery pick Marquese Chriss would fit too, or Phoenix could offer Miami's 2018 first-round pick.
Hornets get: Guards Rodney Hood and Ricky Rubio, forward Derrick Favors, 2018 first-round pick

Jazz get: Guard Kemba Walker, forwards Jeremy Lamb and Marvin Williams

*There's no way they do this with Jackson's contract. They might as well offer to include Boban and Avery Bradley and take back Batum or Kidd-Gilchrist as well. That'd eat almost all of Charlotte's bad deals for near free. Which funny enough none of Pelton's proposals actually do.

The Pistons getting all three of Walker, Batum, and Williams would arguably patch up the team across the board. It dumps some of SVG's worst temptations while forcing another to the bench where he belongs. AND gives him players he'd actually want. They're capped out anyway next year as is. Batum's salary only extends a year beyond where they would be combined into a single player and while he would be overpaid significantly (depends on what they give Bradley), it's not like he's garbage, and can play multiple positions. Williams admittedly looks like it would revisit the Harris/Morris issue but I think works better because Williams actually learned to play defense along the way and "fits" infinitely better as he's a better shooter and needs 50% fewer possessions to give you the same output so he can go sit in a corner happily unlike Morris.

Dwight's arguably not Charlotte's worst deal as it's only got another year on it. I assume they'd prefer to keep Kidd-Gilchrist who is somehow still only 24 over Batum. Those both seem more flippable on their own than as the cost for taking Walker. Dwight they could straight up dump next year if it came to it.

Or ideally, this year send Dwight to the Lakers for Luol Deng and Corey Brewer. (Assuming they're allowed to do the extend and stretch for Deng and that's not limited to the Lakers. Also, I'm making this suggestion almost entirely to please Jack.)

etiolate

« Reply #19514 on: January 21, 2018, 02:17:55 PM »
The Pels should target one of the Hornets wings. MKG is an obvious target to reunite him with AD, but Batum is probably an easier get since I'd qualify his contract as "bad" considering his performance and age.

And all the Pels have in trade is bad contracts that are slightly shorter in length.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #19515 on: January 21, 2018, 02:46:37 PM »
Cavs are like those Celtics teams that tried to hang until they were too old.

They have so many defensive liabilities there are always 2 or 3 guys on the floor you can pick on.

The team was constructed as a pick-up team, with no thought to who actually needed to guard somebody on the floor.

Nola

« Reply #19516 on: January 21, 2018, 08:36:19 PM »
We(the Pels) already have an overpriced defensive wing that can't shoot. He will be back within the month. Batum makes little sense when someone like Carroll fits much better with their needs and isn't so much of an albatross.

If the opportunity is there, Demps, who never met a first rounder he wouldn't trade away for even marginal talent, will have that in some other team's pocket before the deadline.

Cavs I think are going to be hard pressed to find any move that serves the ultimate purpose of getting Lebron to not leave. George Hill or Walker are not putting them over the top IMO.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #19517 on: January 22, 2018, 02:12:03 PM »
©ZH

etiolate

« Reply #19518 on: January 22, 2018, 04:28:35 PM »
Kidd fired. A pretty late season firing for a playoff contender.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #19519 on: January 22, 2018, 04:55:55 PM »
Surprising in a way but I had recently seen a lot of rumblings from that fanbase who seemed very displeased with some of his decision making. Not saying they are correct but I just noticed the rumbling.

I think Lue is also right on the precipice. If they don't stabilize very quicklt, I think they might make a move.

benjipwns

« Reply #19520 on: January 22, 2018, 10:12:29 PM »
Lue got his job because he holds LeBron as accountable as any other player, according to that Windhorst book, one of Blatt's problems was he was inconsistent in how he handled his superstar and eventually gave up and turned that over entirely to Lue which convinced the Cavs front office to just get rid of Blatt if LeBron and Lue were going to coach the team anyway. Because Spoelstra had already been coaching Wade and plus had Riley backing him up that issue did not develop in Miami and a lot of the tea leaf reading people were doing during the first title year was the legitimate development of a relationship between Spolestra and LeBron, regarding trying to destagnate the lulls of that offense through the shared love of watching video. (Spoelstra started out as Miami's video coordinator.)

This is year four for a lot of these guys, and many of the additions were guys who have been on other contending teams, they're also older. They're coasting hard, which makes their offense kinda nuts.

They slid hard last year too though, and then tore the East apart on the way back to the Finals. They were 26-7 to start 2017, then went 14-9 to sit at 40-16 after the first game out of the All-Star Break, then went 11-15 the rest of the way to finish 51-31. Their point differential fell from +8 to +3 from Jan to the end of the season.

That fourth year and last Miami team started off clunky, then had a ten game win streak early in the year and was 27-8 and even 43-14. Before finishing 11-14.

I assume Lue remains unless LeBron says otherwise. They're paying him $7 million a year until 2022. Plus Dan Gilbert fired Mike Brown without consulting LeBron last time and it turned out LeBron was okay with Brown and totally uninterested in Byron Scott. So he might hesitate a little this time.

benjipwns

« Reply #19521 on: January 22, 2018, 10:29:15 PM »
The Kidd stuff from earlier in the season where they said he and the new front office were communicating through proxies rather than directly was a little blip and then the waiving Liggins so Kidd couldn't play him. The armchair grumbling I saw was a lot about Giannis being the only one of their guys actually developing, especially Thon Maker seemingly going backwards. And that Kidd hadn't formally established even to this point in the season how to use Bledsoe, Giannis, Middleton and Brogdon in terms of an offensive pecking order so the team would sometimes seem like it was taking turns.

Zach Lowe's end of the week piece noted their 25th ranked defense, despite their hyper aggressive scheme and all those long athletic beautiful black bodies because it overloads the floor deliberately but unlike Thibs same scheme (which also has been doing poorly in Minnesota) it doesn't rotate fast enough, especially now and they're getting brutalized from threes on the opposite side of the floor or they're fouling because they're a half second late. (Lowe oddly didn't note the latter, where they're the worst team in the league considering Memphis uses a high foul system like Utah used to.)

Maybe the best part of the story:
Jason Kidd said that Milwaukee Bucks star Giannis Antetokounmpo called him about 15 minutes before Kidd was officially notified he'd been fired by the Bucks and offered to help save his job.

"He called me and said, 'Coach, this isn't right what they're about to do, but [they] are gonna let you go,'" Kidd told ESPN.

Kidd said he replied, "I had a feeling that was gonna take place."

To which Antetokounmpo responded, "'What can I do? I'll call the owners, I'll call my agent."
Kidd said he was officially informed he'd been fired about 15 minutes later when he met with general manager Jon Horst and team president Peter Feigin at a pizza restaurant.

"There was no explanation. It was just, 'We're going in another direction.'"

etiolate

« Reply #19522 on: January 22, 2018, 11:16:34 PM »
https://twitter.com/PelicansPR/status/955652246569672704

Boogie was beast in this game. 52 minutes. 4 steals and a massive block on Markinnen in double OT.

benjipwns

« Reply #19523 on: January 22, 2018, 11:25:06 PM »
read it quick and thought they were saying Wilt had a 3 point 18 rebound 68 assist game

etiolate

« Reply #19524 on: January 22, 2018, 11:36:02 PM »
No, that's be Rondo's record.

Nola

« Reply #19526 on: January 23, 2018, 01:26:32 AM »

Nola

« Reply #19529 on: January 23, 2018, 03:17:04 PM »

Screamin A and Jalen claim to be hearing things in San Antonio between Kawhi and the Spurs have strained beyond repair. Kawhi seemingly wants out.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #19530 on: January 23, 2018, 07:43:11 PM »
East Reserves:  Bradley Beal, Al Horford, Kevin Love, Kyle Lowry, Victor Oladipo, Kristaps Porzingis, John Wall

West Reserves:  LaMarcus Aldridge, Jimmy Butler, Draymond Green, Damian Lillard, Klay Thompson, Karl-Anthony Towns, Russell Westbrook

Stoney Mason

« Reply #19531 on: January 23, 2018, 10:19:20 PM »
It doesn't really matter how many meetings the Cavs have. They are who they are. This isn't a case of just being bored or turning on another gear. They simply don't have the defensive personnel. It's not like they aren't trying. They are just too old, too slow, too defensively inept.

They also are looking at a rebuild. I would be shocked if Lebron is back next year.

etiolate

« Reply #19532 on: January 23, 2018, 10:24:17 PM »
If the Kings give away one of their young pieces just to dump Hill on the Cavs then they're really fucking dumb.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #19533 on: January 23, 2018, 10:32:18 PM »
On a side note, It's weird to me that the media is so in love with this whole draft nba all-star game. Just a facade of meaningless drama.

etiolate

« Reply #19534 on: January 23, 2018, 11:20:57 PM »
I still don't understand the all-star draft.

I feel NBA all-star weekend i the best of the three major sports, but the NBA keeps trying to fuck it up in new ways every year. Every year, the dunk contest is going to have some new rule or format change that ends up failing. 

Stoney Mason

« Reply #19535 on: January 23, 2018, 11:27:57 PM »
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22178973/nba-faq-2018-nba-all-star-draft

I'm fine with there being a draft. The idea itself is decent. But it doesn't address the real issue. It's like trying to put a band-aid on a broken leg.

Players don't go hard in the all-star game because they they don't want to get hurt during the middle of the season and there is no real incentive to go hard in the modern age.

The draft is an attempt to address the second issue but its not enough imo. We'll see soon enough I guess if I'm wrong on that.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 11:32:28 PM by Stoney Mason »

etiolate

« Reply #19536 on: January 23, 2018, 11:35:01 PM »
You can't fix that issue.

If the game is entertaining then it's a success.

Nobody is going to risk their playoff chances on an all-star game.

El Babua

« Reply #19537 on: January 24, 2018, 12:33:44 AM »
An idea I heard on the Le Batard show was to televise team captains picking players. And have all of them be present for the "ceremony".

A lot of people, including me, would watch just for the petty drama involved. Will Lebron pick Kyrie? Steph, Westbrook? Find out Tuesday at 8 on TNT!

Too bad Bron and them would never agree to it.

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #19538 on: January 24, 2018, 02:46:39 AM »
Being a native Sacramentan and remembering exactly where I was when I found out that Cousins had been traded for a bag of potato chips makes me really appreciate all the love he's getting in this thread lately and also the fact that this will be his first playoffs.
每天生气

etiolate

« Reply #19539 on: January 24, 2018, 02:54:25 AM »
It will be glorious.

And Grand Napear can eat a dick.

shosta

« Reply #19540 on: January 24, 2018, 03:10:56 AM »
Sometimes he's the biggest dick but he's alright lol. He was hard on Cousins for all the right reasons.
每天生气

etiolate

« Reply #19541 on: January 24, 2018, 03:15:42 AM »
I honestly think he's racist on a level he doesn't understand. The great players he had issues with: Webber, Bobby Jackson, and Cousins.

he was okay with Brad Miller's technical fouls and whining. He was okay with many antics, but if you were outspoken and black then he suddenly had issues.

He has a racism born out of traditionalism for traditionalism's sake. It's that new england/Bostonian sort of thing.

I really, truly, loathe him. He sold out the entire city for the Maloofs while they were trying to sell the team. His spine is as rigid as a toddler's snotball. People don't know how low he grovels to just merely exist on a golf course.

benjipwns

« Reply #19543 on: January 24, 2018, 04:20:17 PM »
An idea I heard on the Le Batard show was to televise team captains picking players. And have all of them be present for the "ceremony".

A lot of people, including me, would watch just for the petty drama involved. Will Lebron pick Kyrie? Steph, Westbrook? Find out Tuesday at 8 on TNT!

Too bad Bron and them would never agree to it.
I heard LeBron was in favor of it, as were a few other megastars who thought it's fun for just this reason, but Paul apparently heard enough complaints that he and Silver agreed to keep it secret. They aren't even releasing the order the players are picked other than LeBron and Steph have to pick from all the starters before they can pick a reserve. (They should just have to have five starters in the end, so that Steph and LeBron could do the entire draft with the goal of not taking Kyrie.)

Stoney Mason

« Reply #19544 on: January 25, 2018, 09:00:55 PM »

benjipwns

« Reply #19545 on: January 26, 2018, 02:15:52 AM »
my primary complaint is that LeBron's team is going to be more constrained if they do a play all the bigs at once showdown unless it includes Durant (or LeBron) since Boogie would have to mostly handle it himself otherwise while Steph's team would just get nuts even if they didn't have Giannis as their fifth "big"

hopefully they would also do an inverse showdown where they both play all the point/combo guards at once

etiolate

« Reply #19546 on: January 26, 2018, 11:08:53 PM »
Boooooooooogie

nooooooooooo

:fbm :gloomy

etiolate

« Reply #19547 on: January 26, 2018, 11:35:58 PM »
I'd say they were the upset favorite because of Boogie/AD. Not deep enough to hang with the very best, but nobody could match up with those two.

Plus, it's Boogie's contract year.  And the Pels had won 8/10 and beat the Rockets.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #19548 on: January 26, 2018, 11:38:32 PM »
Unfortunate freak injury. Game was almost over.

Beezy

« Reply #19549 on: January 26, 2018, 11:44:36 PM »
Oh yeah, the Pelicans were definitely going to make such a huge impact in the playoffs  ::)
Do you know anyone who tore their achilles before? Recovery from that is not fun.

shosta

Re: The NBA thread (Boogie Cousins out for season)
« Reply #19550 on: January 27, 2018, 12:02:43 AM »
fuck this cruel world
每天生气

etiolate

« Reply #19551 on: January 27, 2018, 12:07:40 AM »
Oh yeah, the Pelicans were definitely going to make such a huge impact in the playoffs  ::)
Do you know anyone who tore their achilles before? Recovery from that is not fun.

I do actually. I'm positive eshitter was not showing human decency and empathy for the injury.

You're an idiot man. Take a walk.

Nola

« Reply #19552 on: January 27, 2018, 01:25:12 AM »
It is honestly so demoralizing being a fan of this franchise.

It just feels like this is the place good players come to die. The one great season we had with CP3, Dwest, and Chandler in their primes was followed by an injury plagued season that the core never recovered from, and the continual injury assembly line that seems to bite us every season.

The entire first AD era was cut short due to injuries to Gordon, Anderson, AD, Jrue, and Evans. They could never get everyone healthy.  Now you have Cousins fall into your lap, giving the franchise hope again, and right as they were finding their groove, this shit happens.

I feel awful for the guy, especially because he was on pace to finally kick the playoff abscence and a seeding that actually gave them a chance to steal a series. Damn shame.

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #19553 on: January 27, 2018, 01:33:52 AM »
NOLA is a cursed, Nola. Get out while you can.  :gloomy

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #19554 on: January 27, 2018, 09:28:59 AM »
Sucks for Boogie, I bet he was excited to make the playoffs. Given that this is his contract year I wonder what happens next.

Nola

« Reply #19555 on: January 27, 2018, 02:37:07 PM »
Sucks for Boogie, I bet he was excited to make the playoffs. Given that this is his contract year I wonder what happens next.

He’ll probably still get maxed by the Pels TBH.

El Babua

« Reply #19556 on: January 27, 2018, 07:36:34 PM »
Boogie :(

Pls get better.

And also join the Pels next year Bron  :doge

etiolate

« Reply #19557 on: January 29, 2018, 06:37:58 PM »

El Babua

« Reply #19558 on: January 29, 2018, 07:38:41 PM »
RIP Lob City

El Babua

« Reply #19559 on: January 29, 2018, 10:51:02 PM »
Also, every Heat game has to be within 5 points with a minute left, no matter what. It's the law.