Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2083613 times)

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #12660 on: August 17, 2016, 02:28:54 PM »
That looks awful.  Tim Curry's Pennywise was so perfect because it was just a couple degrees off from a normal clown, not this grimdark shit.
vin

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
que

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #12662 on: August 17, 2016, 03:02:51 PM »
Archer season 7 : was OK, but the formula has been tired for a couple of seasons really. The whole LA / PI setting works better than the Vice thing but really they have a season at best in the tank. Few highs and the supporting cast is a bit aimless now. Bringing back for a single episode a couple of characters really felt like a last best of run.

Lady Dynamite with Maria Bamford : a bit inconsistent with the whole fourth wall antics but otherwise I'm liking it. It's weird in a good way, touching and goes to pretty dark places in a light hearted fashion.
ὕβρις

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #12663 on: August 17, 2016, 06:29:09 PM »

we back
:rejoice

Dennis

« Reply #12664 on: August 17, 2016, 06:58:44 PM »

we back
:rejoice

Guy at 1:10 "noooooo, Chris!"  :lol

:dead

:drudge

Tasty

« Reply #12665 on: August 17, 2016, 08:38:03 PM »
Can't wait for Hansen vs Alien vs Predator.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #12666 on: August 22, 2016, 07:45:03 PM »
So many "oh shit" moments on the last episode of vice principals
🍆🍆

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #12667 on: August 22, 2016, 07:53:00 PM »
Excited to watch that tonight

Dennis

« Reply #12668 on: August 22, 2016, 09:25:48 PM »
So many "oh shit" moments on the last episode of vice principals

Yeah it was another good one.

When Goggins got busted with the spit I had to look away.

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #12669 on: August 23, 2016, 12:12:53 AM »
The best scene from the show is finally on youtube for repeated viewings  :lawd

OH!

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #12670 on: August 23, 2016, 03:11:32 AM »
Enjoying s1 of The Flash with the family. It's a surprisingly well done show!

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #12671 on: August 25, 2016, 11:25:16 AM »

The books are great, don't know about this.
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #12672 on: August 25, 2016, 11:36:08 AM »
Max Landis is great, don't know about the books.

Edit- He seems pretty damn into it:

Enjoying s1 of The Flash with the family. It's a surprisingly well done show!

Flash s1 is probably the best live action comic book TV show. Not a high bar but it has a fuckton of heart. It's also the best live action thing DC has done since The Dark Knight in 2008.

It's my refuge from the Snyderverse.

mormapope

« Reply #12673 on: August 25, 2016, 11:38:24 AM »
Caught up on Mr Robot as a whole. This entire sequence is amazing (spoilers).

I would watch the fuck out of a Mr. Robot sitcom like this.
OH!

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #12674 on: August 25, 2016, 02:14:16 PM »
I liked the BBC Dirk Gently show from a few years back:

Vertigo

« Reply #12675 on: August 25, 2016, 02:49:07 PM »
Just heard that Stranger Things creators have plans over several seasons and I'm extremely disappointed that they do  :-\

I hate when creators do this. The show has a very firm one and done feel, with a few things left hanging but nothing that would really need to be delved into. I'd be up for a second season but after that it begins to stretch belivability in terms of this small town being host to all this fuckery. Wished they'd gone the anthology route and kept them all in the 80s.

I read they wanted to follow the Harry Potter template where they do a season as each kid gets older.

The first season was such a nice surprise that was a natural word of mouth phenomenon, (very rare in this social media marketing age) that also had no pressure on it, this second season though, I wish them luck.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #12676 on: August 28, 2016, 06:54:37 PM »
Vice Principals is so fucking good. I yelled oh shit at the end of the last episode. It's also way darker than I thought it would be and gets a little too real sometimes. The scene where the front desk receptionist gets fired was really well done.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #12677 on: August 28, 2016, 09:31:56 PM »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #12678 on: August 29, 2016, 03:16:19 AM »
Mr. Robot s1 ep 5  :o
spoiler (click to show/hide)
I didn't see the Shayla death coming. I guess I knew it wasn't going to last because Elliot can't be allowed to be happy or even satisfied. They're making the Elliot / Mr Robot connection more obvious, using the same conceits from Fight Club for handling them.
[close]

mormapope

« Reply #12679 on: August 29, 2016, 01:36:11 PM »
Mr Robot personally is one of the best shows on a Cable TV network in a very long time, way better than Breaking Bad, Mad Men, and Fargo.

Speaking of
Shayna
[close]

This scene in the intro of S1E6 is so good. The song usage and timing/cinematography is ball bustingly good.

OH!

Dennis

« Reply #12680 on: August 29, 2016, 01:58:40 PM »
Mr Robot personally is one of the best shows on a Cable TV network in a very long time, way better than Breaking Bad, Mad Men, and Fargo.

wow that is high praise indeed maybe I should check out this show.

Is the first episode indicative of the show or does it take a while before getting good?

mormapope

« Reply #12681 on: August 29, 2016, 02:05:18 PM »
The first episode definitely sets up the overall atmosphere and mood of the show, but its best quality is how unpredictable the show is. And not in huge plot twist ways, the unpredictability is demonstrated by character interactions and moments in every episode. Its unconventional in all the best ways with very little drawbacks.

I watched the first four episodes in a sitting, felt a little burned out. Then I watched the entire first season and caught up on the second season in a week.

Mr Robot also pushes the envelope when it comes to a lot of its content. A lot of gore, sexual stuff, and f-bombs for a show on cable.
OH!

Tasty

« Reply #12682 on: August 29, 2016, 08:47:15 PM »
Mr. Robot would be so much better if Angela didn't exist.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #12683 on: August 29, 2016, 08:59:27 PM »
I disagree, though I also intensely dislike Angela. She's the single, core element which keeps Elliot engaged with other humans in the real world. Without his remaindered high school affection for her, Elliot would likely exist as a complete shut-in in an uninterruptible downward spiral.

Speaking of annoying pseudo-girlfriend characters, I finished The Flash s1 yesterday, and Iris is just about intolerable. She's similar to Angela, in being a shrill and self-absorbed harpy whose bad timing is so epic that it borders on the laughable. I hear she's less annoying in s2. OTOH, I was a little frustrated by the fall of
Dr. Wells/Eobard Thawne from a mentor of questionable motives Who Just Needs to Prevent Damage to the Timeline, to an irredeemable murderer and bully. Also, WOW at Eddie's LOOPER sacrifice to save the day.
[close]
Can't wait to start s2.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #12684 on: August 29, 2016, 09:12:21 PM »

why do you hate women

Tasty

« Reply #12685 on: August 30, 2016, 03:11:36 AM »
I disagree, though I also intensely dislike Angela. She's the single, core element which keeps Elliot engaged with other humans in the real world. Without his remaindered high school affection for her, Elliot would likely exist as a complete shut-in in an uninterruptible downward spiral.

S2 changes this significantly. They no longer interact at all. Thus making her even more useless.

why do you hate women

I love Darlene and muslim-hacker-chick. I also love Dom. The problem isn't the gender. It's that Angela's storyline is pointless filler, the actress is terrible, and everything about her is a predictable slog.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #12686 on: August 30, 2016, 07:14:35 AM »
Latest episode of Vice Principals wasn't as good as the last couple episodes but when

the clown got knocked over at the end of the episode
[close]

really cracked me up for some reason
🍆🍆

Dennis

« Reply #12687 on: August 30, 2016, 07:57:21 AM »
Shows I should probably watch asap:

Stranger Things
Mr. Robot
Black Mirror

mormapope

« Reply #12688 on: August 30, 2016, 09:56:54 AM »

S2 changes this significantly. They no longer interact at all. Thus making her even more useless.

why do you hate women

I love Darlene and muslim-hacker-chick. I also love Dom. The problem isn't the gender. It's that Angela's storyline is pointless filler, the actress is terrible, and everything about her is a predictable slog.

:confused

The performance from the actress has been fantastic, there isn't a weak link in Mr Robot's casting at all. Whether or not you find her character or story boring is one thing, but that actress has been convincing as fuck since the pilot.

OH!

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #12689 on: August 30, 2016, 10:26:53 AM »
Angela is in many ways the human center of the show, its themes, etc. I've only seen a couple eps of S2 so I'll mainly be referencing S1...

I'll spoil it just in case but nothing very specific (don't click Chrono tho):

I wouldn't call it predictable but her arc reminds me of Breaking Bad in terms of a "good" person descending into a darkness that was always there to some degree.
[close]

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #12690 on: August 30, 2016, 10:39:00 AM »
I really gotta start watching Mr Robot

Tasty

« Reply #12691 on: August 30, 2016, 12:47:04 PM »

:confused

The performance from the actress has been fantastic, there isn't a weak link in Mr Robot's casting at all. Whether or not you find her character or story boring is one thing, but that actress has been convincing as fuck since the pilot.

I almost laughed when she tried to say "conglomerate" in the last episode as some kind of huge putdown on the plumber dude. Laughable.

mormapope

« Reply #12692 on: August 30, 2016, 01:07:53 PM »
Angela is in many ways the human center of the show, its themes, etc. I've only seen a couple eps of S2 so I'll mainly be referencing S1...

I wouldn't call it predictable but her arc reminds me of Breaking Bad in terms of a "good" person descending into a darkness that was always there to some degree.
[close]

In season 2 she's a lot more interesting due to never knowing what her actual endgame is, or rather, who she really is. That contrast compared to someone like Elliot where we know his intentions, his demons, his aspirations, adds a good amount of depth to the show.

The only character I don't really care for is Tyrell's wife, mainly because we don't know her goals and she hasn't really been developed yet. She's into BDSM and likes the rich lifestyle, that's about it.
OH!

mormapope

« Reply #12693 on: August 30, 2016, 01:23:31 PM »
I feel TV dramas are starting to move away from antihero main characters to deeply flawed characters/people trying to overcome something much bigger than themselves. Or main characters trying to save themselves in the face of terrible shit.

The Knick revolved around goodhearted characters succumbing to their own weakness or getting trampled on by morally corrupt characters. Mr. Robot is really similar in that regard. Both shows hit you on the head with depressing and bleak scenarios and characterization.

What evens that stuff out is the faint glimmer of hope, and the little victories characters can claim for themselves.
OH!

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #12694 on: August 30, 2016, 01:53:17 PM »

[close]

Some vauge s2 spoilers:
Thats theme? around her this season seems to be getting lost in that darkness. All her old friends/ppl in her life running into her like "Whose mans is this?"
[close]

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #12695 on: August 30, 2016, 06:51:57 PM »

[close]

Some vauge s2 spoilers:
Thats theme? around her this season seems to be getting lost in that darkness. All her old friends/ppl in her life running into her like "Whose mans is this?"
[close]

Specific S2 scene discussion
One of the last eps I saw iirc was the one where the CEO invites her to "dinner," and she shows up dressed for a date only to discover two other men are attending as well. Such an interesting deception, yet at the same time a blatant lesson for her. Those two dudes will underestimate the shit out of her now and never see her coming. She's essentially being groomed for corporate exec management because the CEO realizes she's a savage.
[close]

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #12696 on: August 30, 2016, 10:08:52 PM »
Angela puts the Robot in Mr. Robot
WDW

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #12697 on: August 31, 2016, 09:01:54 PM »
Latest episode of Vice Principals wasn't as good as the last couple episodes but when

the clown got knocked over at the end of the episode
[close]

really cracked me up for some reason
Agreed. The part that cracked me up the most was
"his dick all big and wet like damn French dip sandwich"
[close]

Tasty

« Reply #12698 on: August 31, 2016, 10:34:05 PM »
Angela puts the Robot in Mr. Robot

:preach

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #12699 on: September 01, 2016, 02:53:35 AM »

[close]

In season 2 she's a lot more interesting due to never knowing what her actual endgame is, or rather, who she really is. That contrast compared to someone like Elliot where we know his intentions, his demons, his aspirations, adds a good amount of depth to the show.

The only character I don't really care for is Tyrell's wife, mainly because we don't know her goals and she hasn't really been developed yet. She's into BDSM and likes the rich lifestyle, that's about it.

Tyrell's wife parallels Elliot's mother. They're both utterly strict, completely conditional in the way they give affection. Tyrell could only approach her as a supplicant; he craved acceptance. I think that's why he changed the plan for the new CTO's wife; because he loathed her need for acceptance because he saw it in himself.

Angela is not portrayed particularly well,
in that she's either propping herself up with self-help videos while ignoring the fact that she's complicit now in cooperating/working for E Corp, which killed her mother. We haven't seen her with her dad since she accepted the offer. (I'm still on s2e2 though.
[close]

bdoughty

« Reply #12700 on: September 01, 2016, 06:30:43 PM »
 The final episode of The It Crowd (1 hr special from 2013) hits Netflix US today.

https://www.netflix.com/title/70140450

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #12701 on: September 01, 2016, 08:19:40 PM »
I'm watching the walking dead season 6 and it's on the episode where the no kill aikido black dude meets the chunky white dude that played drew Carey's brother. I don't say this lightly but this is the gayest shit I've ever seen on TV. Who wrote this and thought "yeah, this is interesting enough for an entire episode"? I'd be pissed if I watched it live.

Tasty

« Reply #12702 on: September 02, 2016, 11:30:21 PM »
@ latest ep of Mr. Robot:

This show is basically Yugioh now.

Christian Slater is gonna send E Corp to the Shadow Realm.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #12703 on: September 02, 2016, 11:50:29 PM »
Jesus. The Walking Dead should win an award for the largest cast of absolutely unlikeable characters. They're all idiotic.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #12705 on: September 04, 2016, 11:44:13 AM »
Tata from Narcos is so fucking hot

Beezy

« Reply #12706 on: September 04, 2016, 11:55:39 AM »
Jesus. The Walking Dead should win an award for the largest cast of absolutely unlikeable characters. They're all idiotic.
Fear The Walking Dead is even worse. Save yourself by never watching that shit.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #12707 on: September 04, 2016, 02:26:30 PM »
Fear The Walking Dead is even worse. Save yourself by never watching that shit.
I watched the first season and decided I wouldn't watch the second lmao. Shit was trash. The idea of zombies in a major city was super appealing yet they managed to fuck it up. Not to mention the main protagonist is another good guy with a "good guy" job. Teachers, police officers...fuck those people man. Give me a zombie show that follows like...a convict or something.

BTW I did like the last season of Walking Dead. Pretty interesting seeing the typical arc (the gang pulls through and out smarts everyone) get flipped on its head...and its neck broken.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #12708 on: September 04, 2016, 02:35:50 PM »
Yeah I heard fear the walking dead was awful. No thanks. I like enough of the walking dead that I keep watching it but it has a lot of the same problems it has had since the beginning.

The issue with season 6 was that they could have accomplished the season in half as many episodes. It really only got good in the last 5 or 6 episodes. They did a great job of making Rick a character that thought he was untouchable. But there is just so much filler bullshit and it's all written by having characters do shit that makes no sense.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #12709 on: September 04, 2016, 02:39:14 PM »
only good thing about Fear Of The Walking Dead is that hot ass chick that's in it.

:stahp

Beezy

« Reply #12710 on: September 04, 2016, 04:27:36 PM »
She's alright. You just love white wimmenz.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #12711 on: September 04, 2016, 04:31:38 PM »
her cheeks looks like a baboon's ass.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #12712 on: September 04, 2016, 04:32:03 PM »

I thought she was alright too until I saw she had a black bf on the show :lawd

Randy from The Wire. He made it :tocry

out of the streets of Baltimore and the horrors of foster care, into the zombie apocalypse. At least he got a pawg first
:tocry

Beezy

« Reply #12713 on: September 04, 2016, 04:53:05 PM »
Lol I knew I recognized him from somewhere.

helios

« Reply #12714 on: September 04, 2016, 05:05:58 PM »

I thought she was alright too until I saw she had a black bf on the show :lawd

out of the streets of Baltimore and the horrors of foster care, into the zombie apocalypse. At least he got a pawg first
:tocry

:ohhh :tocry

Syph

« Reply #12715 on: September 05, 2016, 08:49:31 PM »
Mr. Robot is excellent as usual.
Suits is picking up after a horrible 5th season that made me reconsider watching it altogether.

And now I finished marathoning Narcos season 2
 :win

https://soundcloud.com/cookinsoul/cookin-soul-narcos
XO

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #12716 on: September 05, 2016, 09:16:41 PM »
Narcos S2 was such a step down from S1. It really falls off in the 2nd half and I kind of just wanted him to die and for it to end.

But my God Tata is so hot. Stupid and self righteous as fuck though.

mormapope

« Reply #12717 on: September 07, 2016, 11:28:31 PM »
FX has been and will be the king of comedy and Dramedy shows. Atlanta is fantastic. Entire first episode is on youtube.

Donald Glover seems a lot more relatable and less spazzy compared to every other role he's had. Supporting cast is excellent, atmosphere and mood is heavy in every scene.
OH!

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #12718 on: September 08, 2016, 04:54:21 AM »
Started s2 of The Flash last night. Still waiting for Iris to be less sucky. I like the actress; she pulls it off, but man is she ever an interfering, pushy know-it-all. To be honest, the first ep felt choppy. I liked the jump-forward aspect of it, but the meta-human bad guy is a side-note, Barry's dad gets short shrift, and the dream sequence was titillating while being bereft of content.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #12719 on: September 08, 2016, 05:30:18 AM »
We're nearing the end of the third season of The Americans and it's still great. I was a bit worried about the direction they wanted to take the main arc to, as it started to drift into really cartoonish territory, but it actually was for the best and kept the dynamics between the protagonist fresh. The only thing I would complain about is that the pacing is a little bit loose because they have so many more characters and story threads to juggle with.

Actually it's about intimacy in politics.

Hope Netflix will get to broadcast season 4 over here...
ὕβρις