Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2083850 times)

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #12960 on: November 26, 2016, 02:11:02 AM »
I mean I think in the industry he is highly regarded but like as far as general rando pop-culture awareness, he isn't. And I wish he was. But whatever. Who cares about that shit.

Syph

« Reply #12961 on: November 26, 2016, 03:12:09 AM »
This weeks Brooklyn 99 was great. Andre Braugher is just a delight, and Chelsea Peretti is hilarious. Highly recommended

Recently got caught up on the show after falling like a season and a half behind. Andre Braugher as usual steals every scene and is the most underated actor on television. As usual.
my go-to in-flight show
XO

Stoney Mason

« Reply #12962 on: November 27, 2016, 12:57:51 PM »
Watched Bojack Horseman since its been getting a lot of praise. It's good. It's enjoyable. AlthoughI don't view it quite as strongly as all the reviews. I think it may be because of an animation prejudice of mine. I have a feeling, I think the show would be more impactful for me if it was real life actors doing the material.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #12963 on: November 27, 2016, 05:44:27 PM »
Been watching Supergirl the last few days. I kind of love everything about it.
nat

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #12964 on: November 27, 2016, 08:36:09 PM »
Brooklyn Nine Nine has been great so far this season. I feel s1 and 2 were flawless, but 3 was losing steam. I like where they've been going this time.

Rewatched Archer's first two seasons, and felt compelled to buy s3, which I'm working through now. Just finished the EPIC Burt Reynolds episode. This series is gold.

Finished s2 of Agents of SHIELD. That was a satisfying ending for a turbulent season. There were a couple dry episodes at the ⅔ mark, but then the last four or five eps are just back-to-back action. Skye's continuous take fight scene was stupid awesome, but it's not entirely clear when she developed Grant-Ward-like "operative" abilities.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #12965 on: November 28, 2016, 09:27:37 AM »
I started watching Westworld. I'm supposed to be rooting for the robots to kill all humans, right?
©@©™

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #12966 on: November 28, 2016, 12:48:59 PM »

I'm looking forwarding to seeing the fucked up shit that happens season 2

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #12967 on: November 29, 2016, 09:34:15 AM »
Been trying to get through Mr. Robot 2.0 -- I've noticed a heap of TV shows have fallen off of Amazon's Japan streaming service. It's one of the few series from the USA which isn't available at the rental store (we still have those), so if it disappears, I'll have to seek out things on The Internet Store, and I hate that. Really enjoying the show still, but it's less focused than season 1. I'm also having a hard time understanding what's going on with vanished-Tyrell's wife. Seems like she wants him to come back, but she's the one who intentionally drove him away and offers to testify against him to bolster her cash reserves; she just seems like a soap opera villainess with inconsistent motives.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #12968 on: November 29, 2016, 11:50:41 PM »
This SuperGirl - Flash - Arrow - Legends 4 part crossover has started on a real sour note for me. I havent watched the Flash ep yet, but I feel like they tricked me into watching a standard episode of Supergirl (something I really didnt want) to get to the crossover stuff that was like 3 seconds at the end. I dont even know why the fuck they bothered to include this in the set of 'crossover' eps. Flash better make up for it.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #12969 on: November 30, 2016, 12:46:47 AM »
Holy shit, finally got around to Luke Cage, just saw episode three holy shit

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #12970 on: November 30, 2016, 04:49:52 AM »
Archer's is running on fumes, yeah.
ὕβρις

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #12971 on: November 30, 2016, 06:29:14 AM »
Can we finally admit that Archer Vice was a sign of the beginning of the end?  Because it was.
🍆🍆

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #12972 on: November 30, 2016, 08:55:53 AM »
I never watched past vice.  I should some day.  Season 1-3 are complete gold though. 

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #12973 on: November 30, 2016, 03:37:50 PM »
Saw the first ep of Luke Cage last weekend. I thought it was solid but I can tell I'm missing a lot of stuff due to not seeing any other Marvel shows (outside of the first ep of Daredevil). Lots of very commanding performances and I like how the city is a character in of itself. And I gotta say it has one of the best sex scenes I've ever seen. Real simple and well done, nothing super explicit. That cop chick is hot as fuck.

Tasty

« Reply #12974 on: November 30, 2016, 04:06:28 PM »
Luke Cage is pretty disconnected from the rest of the MCU (until about episode 5 when Claire stops in, and even then you don't need to know her character.)

Curious what you're talking about.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #12975 on: November 30, 2016, 04:13:46 PM »
Luke Cage is pretty disconnected from the rest of the MCU (until about episode 5 when Claire stops in, and even then you don't need to know her character.)

Curious what you're talking about.

Pops and Luke referenced a woman, who I guess was Luke's love interest in another show. Also Luke sees Diamondback's henchmen and has a flashback of when they were both in jail together. Speaking of Diamondback, he's kind of just mentioned matter-of-factly. I know who he is since I've read comics though.

Tasty

« Reply #12976 on: November 30, 2016, 04:31:12 PM »
Diamondback and that flashback are new to the show. They explore it a lot more later on.

Reva was in one flashback in Jessica Jones but her death is all you need to know. He had a wife and she's dead. There's a flashback ep later on in LC which elaborates on who she was.

You're not really missing anything by not having watched the others, they're pretty standalone (until The Defenders, anyways.)

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #12977 on: November 30, 2016, 07:43:01 PM »
Brooklyn Nine Nine has been great so far this season. I feel s1 and 2 were flawless, but 3 was losing steam. I like where they've been going this time.

I've only recently discovered Brooklyn Nine Nine and I'm loving it, I'm still somewhere in season 1.  Great to know it has some legs.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #12978 on: December 01, 2016, 01:19:04 AM »
Archer's is running on fumes, yeah.
I never watched past vice.  I should some day.  Season 1-3 are complete gold though.

I'm only on s3, so I'll probably just end it there rather than dragging it out.

I still am happy that I quit watching Supernatural at s5, where the ending made sense and felt purposeful.

Also happy I stopped watching Game of Thrones a couple of episodes into s2, and the books with the first one.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #12979 on: December 01, 2016, 10:08:48 AM »
Been trying to get through Mr. Robot 2.0 -- I've noticed a heap of TV shows have fallen off of Amazon's Japan streaming service. It's one of the few series from the USA which isn't available at the rental store (we still have those), so if it disappears, I'll have to seek out things on The Internet Store, and I hate that. Really enjoying the show still, but it's less focused than season 1. I'm also having a hard time understanding what's going on with vanished-Tyrell's wife. Seems like she wants him to come back, but she's the one who intentionally drove him away and offers to testify against him to bolster her cash reserves; she just seems like a soap opera villainess with inconsistent motives.

Agreed. I watched the first ep of S2 the night it premiered and I'm still not done with the season yet. Granted a major part is me being busy AND lazy, but even still I don't feel like making the time to finish it. It's not bad, in many ways it's pretty good. The cinematography is better than S1. But narrative wise it just doesn't grab me as much as S1 on any level. And I'm kinda tired of the main cliffhanger (Tyrell and what happened) being dragged out.

Also I just saw the ep with what I assume people felt was a huge twist
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Where you learn Elliot has been hallucinating...well, just about everything and is actually in jail.
[close]

Just wasn't sold on this, especially given S1's twist.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 10:41:24 AM by Phoenix Dark »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #12980 on: December 01, 2016, 10:42:05 PM »

Agreed. I watched the first ep of S2 the night it premiered and I'm still not done with the season yet. Granted a major part is me being busy AND lazy, but even still I don't feel like making the time to finish it. It's not bad, in many ways it's pretty good. The cinematography is better than S1. But narrative wise it just doesn't grab me as much as S1 on any level. And I'm kinda tired of the main cliffhanger (Tyrell and what happened) being dragged out.

Where you learn Elliot has been hallucinating...well, just about everything and is actually in jail.
[close]

I dunno about that twist yet, though it wouldn't surprise me. I just finished the Alf episode, so a number of various hallucinations are probably already in play.
[close]

I do, however, fear that the series is going to fray itself into meaninglessness.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #12981 on: December 04, 2016, 01:38:24 PM »
Shannara Chronicles I loved the trilogy when I was in my early teens so watched this series. What a mess. Really the whole tying it explicitly San fran and pacific northwest was a huge mistake. I was amazed that something with so much money behind it could make so many mistakes. You mean to tell me that in all the pretty young things that want to be on TV THAT was the best actress they could find? Everyone else did pretty well. The series seemed to do better when it stuck to book with the most cringe-worthy stuff happening when they decided to deviate, or add in characters that weren't in the books or went into the "Ooohh, a ruined oakland highschool!" It also tried too hard to be a GoT type. I really wanted this to be good. I will say I was unsure about hot Allanon, but surprisingly it worked, one of the few things that did.

As a palate cleanser I started watching Man in High Castle I'm on episode 5 and so far this show is damned excellent!
que

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #12982 on: December 05, 2016, 02:20:31 AM »
Shannara Chronicles I loved the trilogy when I was in my early teens so watched this series. What a mess. Really the whole tying it explicitly San fran and pacific northwest was a huge mistake. I was amazed that something with so much money behind it could make so many mistakes. You mean to tell me that in all the pretty young things that want to be on TV THAT was the best actress they could find? Everyone else did pretty well. The series seemed to do better when it stuck to book with the most cringe-worthy stuff happening when they decided to deviate, or add in characters that weren't in the books or went into the "Ooohh, a ruined oakland highschool!" It also tried too hard to be a GoT type. I really wanted this to be good. I will say I was unsure about hot Allanon, but surprisingly it worked, one of the few things that did.

As a palate cleanser I started watching Man in High Castle I'm on episode 5 and so far this show is damned excellent!

I tried to watch Shannara when it first aired. I didn't make it through the first episode. The younger me would have been aghast, after having been satisfied with Hawk the Slayer and Beastmaster, Shannara would have seemed like high art. Instead, it seemed like characters from The OC had visited renfaire and Jon Rhys-Davies needed rent money.

As for the second, oddly Man in the High Castle is an Amazon Original, but it isn't carried on Japan's version of their streaming service. I'm guessing Amazon doesn't want to risk displaying something as controversial as a WWII-triumphant Japan and re-association with the Axis Powers.

[close]

So it turns out I was exactly one episode behind you. Oops. The transition scene where that happens was still magic, even though I knew it was coming.
This obviously means the whole "ritual" and routine which Elliot said he was using to eradicate his father from his life, instead it was just the routine of prison life. Even Craig Robinson's internet dark site which Elliot fixed, that's all structured within the prison as well, so I'm guessing Craig Robinson is a guard. Was a guard.
[close]

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #12983 on: December 06, 2016, 01:42:22 PM »
So we're halfway through Black Mirror (watched White Bear) which I must admit I was hesitant to go into despite (or because) of the glowing recommendation I had a few years ago by an acquaintance with regards to the first episode. Silly in retrospect, as that first episode was excellent.

It's a very well done show and all the premises have been interesting but to not just add to the overall gushing I will nitpick a bit : There's a few times where the story hook was more interesting than what the narrative onscreen actually did with it and an overall tendency to favor whatever analogy is being made over some of the practical implications. I understand the format probably plays a role in that. A good example is Be right back where I didn't really expect them making the whole thing so literal (though again, it's more expedient for a visual medium) and it didn't adress some of what appeared to me as the obvious question (wouldn't you sign one hell of an EULA before ?).

I was also a bit let down by White Bear as I found it went over some familiar territory (masks and everything) and didn't really rely or comment on some current or future technology/media that much.
ὕβρις

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #12984 on: December 08, 2016, 01:28:48 AM »

:lawd :lawd :lawd :lawd :lawd :lawd :lawd

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #12985 on: December 08, 2016, 01:59:55 AM »

:unsure

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #12986 on: December 08, 2016, 02:06:26 AM »

:lawd

Stoney Mason

« Reply #12987 on: December 08, 2016, 11:20:44 AM »

Is this show any good? I remember wanting to give it a shot but then I forgot it existed

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #12988 on: December 08, 2016, 01:15:17 PM »
The Expanse is the best sci fi in a long time

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #12989 on: December 08, 2016, 01:55:06 PM »
The Expanse reminds me of BSG when it was good.
©@©™

Stoney Mason

« Reply #12990 on: December 08, 2016, 02:02:16 PM »
Welp that's enough for me to give it a try this weekend.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #12991 on: December 08, 2016, 04:13:55 PM »
Yeah it's good. Most of the detractors I've seen so far are fans of the books that are mad it isn't exactly like the books.

etiolate

« Reply #12992 on: December 08, 2016, 06:54:53 PM »
Yeah, The Expanse is good sci fi. More on the serious side. Political intrigue, woven plots, multiple characters and dab of gumshoe.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #12993 on: December 09, 2016, 06:38:04 PM »

Is this show any good? I remember wanting to give it a shot but then I forgot it existed
Yeah it's good. Most of the detractors I've seen so far are fans of the books that are mad it isn't exactly like the books.

I'd read the first book by the time the series came out. The show is a faithful-enough representation of the books, and keeps the hard SF feel surprisingly intact. The differences between the book and TV show are exciting, because it means not knowing exactly what's going to happen.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #12994 on: December 12, 2016, 02:42:54 PM »

new brit marling joint looks like a brit marling joint

:rejoice

Tasty

« Reply #12995 on: December 12, 2016, 02:52:50 PM »
"I remember. I remember everything."

Lol this phrase was played out even by the time Jason Bourne said it

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #12996 on: December 13, 2016, 09:54:58 AM »
I'm only now discovering Dirk Gently, this stuff is hilarious and disturbing :lol Kinda bummed netflix cancelled Marco Polo

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #12997 on: December 13, 2016, 10:05:02 AM »
Amazon Japan JUST finally released their own series, The Man in the High Castle.

I'm baffled but stoked.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #12998 on: December 13, 2016, 10:33:44 AM »

Tasty

« Reply #12999 on: December 13, 2016, 11:13:32 AM »
Only watched the first two eps but Marco Polo was trash.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #13000 on: December 13, 2016, 11:21:43 AM »
Only watched the first two eps but Marco Polo was trash.
I will fight you at a venue with weapons of your choosing

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #13001 on: December 13, 2016, 07:20:03 PM »
Continuing Black Mirror.
The Waldo Moment is a decent episode though I think the ending is going all ham.
The White Christmas special was pretty amazing however, I liked all of the ideas (even if it rehashes a bit of the last episode of season 1) and it all rolls out in a neat way to make for a compelling conclusion.
ὕβρις

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #13003 on: December 16, 2016, 08:36:11 AM »
We watched all The Flash that Japan has to offer: two seasons.

There are three or four seasons of Arrow available. We watched the first two episodes tonight. Seems pretty badass. No-one seems to like it these days. How long do I have before it turns crappy.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #13004 on: December 16, 2016, 09:27:25 AM »
Once one of the peripheral chars (Felicity) becomes overly important

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #13005 on: December 16, 2016, 10:25:34 AM »
season 2 is great.  Then it falls apart hard. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #13006 on: December 16, 2016, 12:44:11 PM »
Dirk is great

etiolate

« Reply #13007 on: December 16, 2016, 01:28:31 PM »
I think there's at least a couple of good seasons of Arrow as an action show. Then it turns soapy and indulges all the comic book stuff too much.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #13008 on: December 16, 2016, 04:03:06 PM »
We watched all The Flash that Japan has to offer: two seasons.

There are three or four seasons of Arrow available. We watched the first two episodes tonight. Seems pretty badass. No-one seems to like it these days. How long do I have before it turns crappy.

5 seasons deep, season 2 is the best/peak Arrow. Best character interaction, leagues and miles away the best villain. Best use of the flashback system they use etc.

I will that so far, halfway through, season 5 seems to be a return to form in terms of those first two seasons though. By that I mean it's staying sort of on the ground, "edgy" etc. Which was always its straight but it kinda lost sight of that 3/4 as it had to establish that it was set in Flash's universe and was saddled with doing all the heavy lifting for pretty much all the other DC shows on CW character wise. They trimmed some fat and it's kinda back to Arrow (and friends) doing cool shit and people actually dying via them or consequences of their actions.

Tasty

« Reply #13009 on: December 16, 2016, 04:38:19 PM »
?

Flash did most of the heavy lifting (as far as Legends of Tomorrow and bridging the 'verse with Supergirl go.) And it didn't really suffer for it (though it's jarring if you go back to Flash s1 now, with all the emphasis on Stein/Ronny that just is completely absent now. :lol)

Have to admit I haven't watched Arrow though.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #13010 on: December 16, 2016, 05:29:42 PM »
Have to admit I haven't watched Arrow though.

::)

Arrow didn't just lift characters tho, but also setting wise. They went to lengths to establish magic (s4) so far as even introducing tv Constantine as sorta canon and before that meta humans for flash. Arrow stays the workhourse of CW.

Legends is weird because they kinda let them do whatever the fuck they want (which is great in a sense). Legends is a fucking mess in the best way. Wentworth Miller killing the game.

:rejoice

Beezy

« Reply #13011 on: December 16, 2016, 07:06:21 PM »
19 episodes into Young Justice and I really appreciate the lack of bullshit and how quickly each episode gets to the action. I don't know most DC characters at all, but this is a fun show.

Tasty

« Reply #13012 on: December 16, 2016, 07:46:44 PM »
Season 2 is the best DC thing ever on-screen.

They did my boys Timmy and Nightwing so good :lawd

The thought of Agent 37 and Red Robin in Season 3 :lawd :lawd

Beezy

« Reply #13013 on: December 17, 2016, 04:12:10 PM »
Finished s1. I'm not really watching anything else, so I should be done with s2 by the end of next week.

Edit: 5 yr time skip plus new members. :mynicca
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 05:04:32 PM by Beezy »

Beezy

« Reply #13014 on: December 21, 2016, 12:21:32 AM »
Finished s2 of Young Justice. Best western cartoon series I've seen since Avatar. Is the Justice League cartoon anywhere near as good as this?

Btw, Vandal Savage is such a great villain name.

Tasty

« Reply #13015 on: December 21, 2016, 12:36:30 AM »
JL/JLU is absolutely fantastic, especially if you've seen BTAS or STAS for the occasional cameo, but it's much much more episodic and less arc-based (outside the finales and random hints here and there.)

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #13016 on: December 21, 2016, 11:03:27 AM »
My favourite eps of BTAS is that one with the casino boat - http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x50o6sz_batman-the-animated-series-episode-19-prophecy-of-doom_tv this fucking song at the start :lawd and the one where Batman
flat out knew he couldnt win against the finger poke of doom so he just put a metal plate on his chest :lol - http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x48axfc
[close]
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 11:08:14 AM by Momo »

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #13017 on: December 21, 2016, 02:03:06 PM »
JL/JLU is absolutely fantastic, especially if you've seen BTAS or STAS for the occasional cameo, but it's much much more episodic and less arc-based (outside the finales and random hints here and there.)

The Cadmus arc though :lawd
WDW

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #13018 on: December 21, 2016, 02:16:25 PM »

The Cadmus arc though :lawd

[close]

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #13019 on: December 21, 2016, 11:53:25 PM »
My favourite eps of BTAS is that one with the casino boat - http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x50o6sz_batman-the-animated-series-episode-19-prophecy-of-doom_tv this fucking song at the start :lawd and the one where Batman
flat out knew he couldnt win against the finger poke of doom so he just put a metal plate on his chest :lol - http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x48axfc
[close]

I bought BTAS, having missed its initial run. Your link showed Steve Perry as the author, so I went to go see if it's the same Steve Perry who wrote a bunch of novels about space assassins that I loved in high school, and the Alien/Predator novels (not so much)... instead I learn there's another author named Steve Perry who wrote for a lot of cartoons, including Silverhawks and Thundercats, but not credited on BTAS -- AND he had bladder cancer while broke -- AND he was apparently dismembered over a $10M lottery ticket.

Good grief, what a world we live in.