Author Topic: Corona Thread |OT| Nu variant, who dis?  (Read 1082516 times)

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
Re: Corona Thread |OT| A lot of good things are going to happen.
« Reply #2700 on: March 17, 2020, 09:24:13 PM »

Right but the issue is that if states ignore it, and if you are not going to shut down domestic travel, then its only going to slow the problem for so long.  It amounts to the same thing as one state doing gun control while its neighbors do not. 

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #2701 on: March 17, 2020, 09:31:15 PM »
wfh begins tomorrow :rejoice when the big boss said it started as soon as payroll was complete it magically got done in one day :doge

gonna get some real dumb calls tomorrow when the truly computer illiterate have to use remote desktop :-\

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #2702 on: March 17, 2020, 09:31:23 PM »

Right but the issue is that if states ignore it, and if you are not going to shut down domestic travel, then its only going to slow the problem for so long.  It amounts to the same thing as one state doing gun control while its neighbors do not.

That's very true and a National lockdown on state to state travel would help immensely.

OH!

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #2703 on: March 17, 2020, 09:31:50 PM »
also please dont die morma

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #2704 on: March 17, 2020, 09:33:21 PM »
Nevada closed all non-essential businesses today. Going to have to drink at home now while I do my online public speaking class >:(
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 09:49:56 PM by shosta »
每天生气

Leadbelly

« Reply #2705 on: March 17, 2020, 09:35:57 PM »

How long do you expect domestic travel to stop?

I'm just going to quote something from that interview I posted.

This is going to unfold for months to come yet, and that is what I think people don't quite understand. What we saw in China, I'm convinced, as are many of my colleagues, that as soon as they release all of these social distances, these mandated stay at home. Haven't left their home in weeks. When they go back to work. When they go on planes, trains, subways, buses, crowded spaces, even China is going to come back again

Of course we won't know how it truly unfolds until it unfolds, but understand that it may not be so simple as shutting shit down for a couple of months.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2706 on: March 17, 2020, 09:38:46 PM »
I got a Black Mirror episode idea - and note that I have never been able to make it through a full episode.  A student's public speaking class turns online because of a global pandemic.  After 45 minutes of the student speaking to a web cam, the student is graded with a thumbs down emoticon.  No other feedback is given to the student, even after emailing the instructor.  In the end, it turns out the instructor died because of the pandemic and the mark came from an automatic grading AI the university built to deal with the pandemic. 

Edit:  actually I think I have a start-up idea to get universities though these trying times. 
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 09:45:39 PM by Madrun Badrun »

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #2707 on: March 17, 2020, 09:39:22 PM »
Kid’s school is shutdown through April 28th now

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2708 on: March 17, 2020, 09:40:38 PM »
At this point, things will be shut down till June i'm expecting.  I doubt schools return until Sept. 

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #2709 on: March 17, 2020, 09:43:36 PM »
is it too late to leave my wife and kids for a stripper and a pile of coke and booze?

I’m really having second thoughts on my life decisions.

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
Re: Corona Thread |OT| Money-printer goes BRRRR
« Reply #2711 on: March 17, 2020, 09:56:43 PM »

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
« Reply #2712 on: March 17, 2020, 09:56:51 PM »
Anyone else not able to starve themselves at work and just been eating everything?

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #2713 on: March 17, 2020, 10:04:37 PM »
We’re all starting to show cold symptoms, thanks for the laughs, gang :mlady

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #2714 on: March 17, 2020, 10:06:06 PM »
your tontine money will go to a good cause (probably). :salute
每天生气

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #2715 on: March 17, 2020, 10:53:06 PM »

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #2716 on: March 17, 2020, 11:17:45 PM »
Feel for the parents who have to deal with this

Feel for the kids who have it rough at home

It's tough all around

Bebpo

« Reply #2717 on: March 17, 2020, 11:37:12 PM »
I guess in the  :lol for the day

My county, Orange County put out a shelter in place order at 2:30pm putting OC into lockdown and closing all non-essential businesses. This caused my office to go into chaos and waste hours trying to figure out things.

Then at 7:30pm they put out a press release going "WHOOPSIE, that order was just supposed to codify what the governor said about all bars/restaurants closing outside takeout. We never meant to close all OC business down. We are amending the order and it is not a shelter in place order. SORRY"

Though I bet it was a shelter in place order and then some of the big $$$ corps in OC (also pretty heavy republican swing) called up and said WTF ARE YOU DOING, STOP THIS NOW, and OC caved and that's them walking it back.

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #2718 on: March 17, 2020, 11:39:54 PM »
I don't know how accurate this really is, but this is what I assumed to be the case:

https://www.diabetes.org/diabetes/treatment-care/planning-sick-days/coronavirus

In general, people with diabetes are more likely to experience severe symptoms and complications when infected with a virus.If diabetes is well-managed, the risk of getting severely sick from COVID-19 is about the same as the general population.

When people with diabetes do not manage their diabetes well and experience fluctuating blood sugars, they are generally at risk for a number of diabetes-related complications. Having heart disease or other complications in addition to diabetes could worsen the chance of getting seriously ill from COVID-19, like other viral infections, because your body’s ability to fight off an infection is compromised.

Viral infections can also increase inflammation, or internal swelling, in people with diabetes. This is also caused by above-target blood sugars, and both could contribute to more severe complications.

I was in perfect health last September, slipped a good bit in Winter, and have been on track with taking care of myself again as of late.

I've yet to experience any severe diabetic complications from anything. In general, mismanaging any autoimmune disorder seems to make you very open for this virus to hit hard.
OH!

bluemax

« Reply #2719 on: March 17, 2020, 11:56:21 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

My county, Orange County put out a shelter in place order at 2:30pm putting OC into lockdown and closing all non-essential businesses. This caused my office to go into chaos and waste hours trying to figure out things.

Then at 7:30pm they put out a press release going "WHOOPSIE, that order was just supposed to codify what the governor said about all bars/restaurants closing outside takeout. We never meant to close all OC business down. We are amending the order and it is not a shelter in place order. SORRY"

Though I bet it was a shelter in place order and then some of the big $$$ corps in OC (also pretty heavy republican swing) called up and said WTF ARE YOU DOING, STOP THIS NOW, and OC caved and that's them walking it back.

Lots of other places in the state are doing shelter in place orders already. It's gonna be statewide by the end of the week.
NO

Bebpo

« Reply #2720 on: March 17, 2020, 11:57:31 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

Lots of other places in the state are doing shelter in place orders already. It's gonna be statewide by the end of the week.

Yeah I mean by the end of the day we were ready for this and we should be doing this to slow the spread.

But after this walkback I feel like OC isn't going to go shelter in place anytime soon. Would look even worse for them. I guess if Newsom ordered it state-wide they'd have no choice.

bluemax

« Reply #2721 on: March 18, 2020, 12:03:06 AM »
NO

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #2722 on: March 18, 2020, 12:17:48 AM »
Today's dose is "How the fuck do you go about normal life when everything is closed down?"

- It took me 2 hours to do the grocery shopping
- A friend's elderly parents Fridge just died. No way to buy one (everyone's sold out) no way to fix it (parts are out)
- My oven just died

Any one of these things would be a minor thing in normal life mode. Now? It's a fucking crisis.
que

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #2723 on: March 18, 2020, 12:22:25 AM »
I ordered groceries on Monday morning, they gave me a pick up of tomorrow morning. I’ve been stressed about what’s going to be stocked out

Bebpo

« Reply #2724 on: March 18, 2020, 12:26:42 AM »
Yeah, I've spent over 2 hours grocery shopping last 2 days. It's hit & miss, but seems to be enough to survive for now.

At Trader Joe's every frozen item w/meat was gone except the Orange Chicken Rice Bowl.
My friend was at a different Trader Joe's and said all the frozen stuff was gone except the Orange Chicken Rice Bowl.

What is wrong with their orange chicken rice bowl  :-X

/still bought 2

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #2725 on: March 18, 2020, 12:27:44 AM »
Orange chicken bowl is excellent!! WTF?
que

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #2726 on: March 18, 2020, 12:29:57 AM »
My second fridge died on the weekend. Had to mad dash to transfer the frozen stuff to the kitchen.
Spud

Bebpo

« Reply #2727 on: March 18, 2020, 12:32:04 AM »
Is it normal that people have 2 fridges? Or is that like a "if you have a family" thing? I don't remember my family ever having 2 fridges and I've never had two. But my friends are showing my their family's prepper set and they all seem to have 2 fridges as well.

Good to know! Think I'll try one tomorrow for lunch.

Tripon

« Reply #2729 on: March 18, 2020, 12:38:25 AM »
Is it normal that people have 2 fridges? Or is that like a "if you have a family" thing? I don't remember my family ever having 2 fridges and I've never had two. But my friends are showing my their family's prepper set and they all seem to have 2 fridges as well.

I only seen the 2 fridges thing when people upgrade, and move the old one to the garage or backyard.

bluemax

« Reply #2730 on: March 18, 2020, 12:45:32 AM »

My parents have one fridge and a bigger freezer in the garage. But they're also Mormons who have been doing food storage since forever. We only had 1 fridge at that house we lived in before the house they're in now. My Dad's parents also had a second freezer but they were also Mormons who did a lot of hunting/fishing/food storage. My mom's parents had a second fridge in the garage but I only ever remember it having beer for my grandpa to drink when he was out there working on a project.

I sure as shit wish I had a bigger freezer right now, normally my freezer is fairly empty but I got a new roommate and she maxxed out the freezer even before all this hit.
NO

Tripon

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #2733 on: March 18, 2020, 01:18:43 AM »
I'm surprised some of you are really fucked when grocery shopping. I went for groceries today at like 3:30PM and more less everything seemed to be around except fresh seafood/meat and nearly all the pasta was out at this location. But of course frozen pre packaged meat and seafood was available if only in smaller quantities than I usually see.

Sorry to hear about the appliances dying though "I'm a Puppy". That's the worst timing possible.

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #2734 on: March 18, 2020, 01:37:10 AM »

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck

Bebpo

« Reply #2736 on: March 18, 2020, 02:54:54 AM »
Yeah, that didn't sound so good.

Hopefully that's worst case scenario and things go better.

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #2737 on: March 18, 2020, 03:00:23 AM »
i specifically posted that in response to the idea south korea can return to normalcy through "flattening the curve", which i hope does but it's not looking likely.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #2739 on: March 18, 2020, 03:04:29 AM »
The KBL allows each team to have two foreign-born players on their rosters with neither taller than 200 centimeters. The move was made to combat declining league attendance

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2741 on: March 18, 2020, 03:51:03 AM »
Things could return to some normalcy if the different medications tested to accelerate helping people cope and cure really prove effective. Would probably be a good thing to keep some of the hygiene good practices, more mask acceptance in the Western world when needed and testing people as a matter of fact.

On top of Chloroquin derivatives & Remsirvir (sp ?), China and Japan are also testing a flu medecine developed by Fujifilm.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 04:40:54 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2742 on: March 18, 2020, 04:39:16 AM »
Xiaomi donates 10 of thousands of masks to the Institut Pasteur.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2743 on: March 18, 2020, 04:50:26 AM »
French media is all about those videos of undisciplined, insouciant French people and frictions with police in the popular districts of Northern Paris but as far as I can tell activity, traffic and crowds have been reduced 10 to 20 fold in my leftist hell hole working class suburb.
:yeshrug

One of my employers just closed his site, the other send employees home to work remotely or under work stoppage status and will probably be half-staffed. Banks and the postal service are allowed to run but they reduced the open to public offices by a large margin. Subways and bus are running with only a handful of passengers, etc, etc...
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 04:55:39 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #2744 on: March 18, 2020, 05:28:51 AM »
https://twitter.com/Brasco_Aad/status/1240203777204015104

dutch directness is going to save us all with the help of the chicoms  :heart :heart :heart

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2745 on: March 18, 2020, 07:26:28 AM »
First official death in Subsaharan Africa, in Burkina Faso.
ὕβρις

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #2746 on: March 18, 2020, 07:36:24 AM »
SAVE US NINTEX

:salute :salute :salute
(ice)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #2748 on: March 18, 2020, 08:19:33 AM »
report from the first day of wfh: i have to go into the office cause i forgot some shit last night :lol

Svejk

« Reply #2749 on: March 18, 2020, 08:25:41 AM »
https://twitter.com/mzinshteyn/status/1240075625861246976
This makes me sad in the opposite way... Maybe this event will help parents form better bonds with their children.  Having friends is one thing, but having parents there for you, to actually teach you things, showing more the unconditional love and face challenges together, and have the children learn from them (as opposed to their school piers)....  Isn't that what a family should be?  I feel bad for the fathers and mothers that feel being with their kids is like a form of torture lately.  YOU parents made the kid, YOU take responsibility for nurturing them.   Maybe I missed the point of the tweet response, but I'm seeing sooo many colleagues and others that seem to not enjoy their kids being around all the time....  Personally, I wouldn't have it any other way.  As someone who's parents were hardly around and relied on friends to "get by", I wish it were the other way around.  Not to dismiss any friends of course, but they come and go... family is family. (which I have a very small one)  Sorry for the vent, but I wish all parents will embrace this unique time to truly reconnect with their children.  Now's the time to be there for them more than ever.   
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 08:33:14 AM by Svejk »

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2750 on: March 18, 2020, 08:28:09 AM »
Tales from schadenfreude :

Instagram Paris couple goes to secondary house for the lockdown... Only to come back the same day because the WiFi doesn't work properly in the hinterland.

TV reality star blocked in Tunisia after plastic surgery, in a pool and saying "Don't take this too seriously !". Next day in the same Snapchat : In tears, saying Tusinia is authoritarian, asking why a military plane hasn't picked them up yet, what the fuck is Macron doing they're paying taxes dammit !

:whatisthis
ὕβρις

Svejk

« Reply #2751 on: March 18, 2020, 08:30:51 AM »
https://twitter.com/WFLA/status/1239618604255059975

Yeah, we went to the beach on Monday afternoon...  still plenty people there.. we stayed upwind and kept space distance as much as possible... 
unfortunately, the beach near me allows dogs...  you fucking assholes who thinks their dog is special and doesn't need a leash...  I hope it jumps into the ocean and doesn't return. :maf :maf :maf  If you cared so much for your dog, you wouldn't have a goddam husky in a tropical climate, you nut cups.  :maf :maf :maf

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2752 on: March 18, 2020, 08:56:50 AM »
CBC is saying that Canada and US are close to a deal to close the border. 

Tripon

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2754 on: March 18, 2020, 09:27:40 AM »
dog

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #2755 on: March 18, 2020, 09:34:02 AM »
Stop shopping in rich areas, the hood is stocked up people can't afford to hoard
:O

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2756 on: March 18, 2020, 09:54:25 AM »
Stop shopping in rich areas

Ya save something for the looters you greedy basterds. 

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2757 on: March 18, 2020, 10:37:35 AM »
The certificate you have to fill and show in France to be outside will only be accepted if on paper (printed or written by your hand). They accepted it on a phone or tablet yesterday but apparently a ton of phishing sites covering as electronic certificates services popped overnight...

:goty
ὕβρις

Hamarr

« Reply #2758 on: March 18, 2020, 10:41:05 AM »
We got the notice to work from home on Friday.  I have been doing grocery delivery to stock up.  The extra cost is worth not having to go in and deal with the mess in stores.  I’ve been surprised how much of my order I have been getting.  No luck on toilet paper, but most of the frozen and canned stuff I have ordered has been in stock.

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #2759 on: March 18, 2020, 10:43:31 AM »
https://twitter.com/Brasco_Aad/status/1240203777204015104

dutch directness is going to save us all with the help of the chicoms  :heart :heart :heart

That feel when you are already on TB medicine, for another disease completely unrelated to TB.  :rejoice