Author Topic: Corona Thread |OT| Nu variant, who dis?  (Read 1082495 times)

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Re: Corona Thread |OT| Please scream inside your heart
« Reply #11461 on: August 09, 2020, 08:30:04 PM »
A local school in my part of Oklahoma has already gone to online-only [at least for now] after the entire cafeteria staff was potentially exposed.
dog

kingv

« Reply #11462 on: August 10, 2020, 02:12:38 AM »

https://twitter.com/brucetempleton/status/1292455472960659457

Well, yeah. I mean if people actually social distance, mask and hand-wash that should eliminate the majority of infectious diseases on the planet from spreading. Which is a good thing for sure and maybe says some things about certain precautions people can take in general to reduce the spread of the flu/colds when things are post-covid.

Totally. We should normalize people staying home from work when ill. And probably wear masks indoors during flu season as well.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #11463 on: August 10, 2020, 04:46:24 AM »
Japan needs to normalize this even more and then the USA. It is stunning how many times people come to work hacking and coughing and running with snot from behind their paper masks. COVID-19 should absolutely be the cause of some intelligent change.

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #11467 on: August 10, 2020, 02:57:53 PM »
Okay.
©@©™

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #11468 on: August 10, 2020, 03:11:26 PM »
Shut up, Nintendie.

Tripon

« Reply #11469 on: August 10, 2020, 03:15:31 PM »
The reason this is happening because the players has been pushing for much stronger COVID-19 precautions/protections and no liability waivers. Particularly in the Pac-12, players were pushing for union representation/getting paid. It's the conferences (Pac-12/Big-10) trying to staunch paying players and keeping amatuer status as long as possible.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #11471 on: August 10, 2020, 06:27:48 PM »
The reason this is happening because the players has been pushing for much stronger COVID-19 precautions/protections and no liability waivers. Particularly in the Pac-12, players were pushing for union representation/getting paid. It's the conferences (Pac-12/Big-10) trying to staunch paying players and keeping amatuer status as long as possible.
https://twitter.com/ESPNBooger/status/1292934681881714689

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #11472 on: August 10, 2020, 06:31:09 PM »
it's been a month or so since all those crisis point articles
I'm guessing any lockdown gunning is dead at this point

Tripon

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11474 on: August 10, 2020, 06:55:18 PM »
Imagine being at the point in your life where your own child has to physically lift you off the ground and carry you out of a grocery store. :neogaf
dog

Tripon

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #11476 on: August 10, 2020, 08:51:43 PM »
I do find it really funny that Smash Mouth seemed to be quite twitter woke these past few years and then they go all nutter on COVID-19  :lol :lol

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11477 on: August 10, 2020, 10:20:27 PM »
Texas:

In the week ending Aug. 8, an average 36,255 coronavirus tests were administered in Texas each day — a drop of about 42% from two weeks earlier, when the average number of daily tests was 62,516.

At the same time, the percentage of tests yielding positive results has climbed, up to 20% on average in the week ending Aug. 8. Two weeks earlier, the average positivity rate was around 14%.
dog

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #11478 on: August 10, 2020, 10:27:18 PM »
Less tests more cases?

GG

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #11479 on: August 11, 2020, 06:22:23 AM »
Putin has a vaccine, tested on his daughter.

https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/1293127603654623232

https://twitter.com/CricBollyBuzz/status/1293125428115206144

:wut

There already were some rumors that in rich circles in Russia a vaccine was circulating.

Now the question is, what will the US do. Claim it doesn't work or will Trump ask Putin to sell it to the US so he can cure everyone before the election.  :doge
🤴

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #11480 on: August 11, 2020, 06:30:59 AM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/russia-unveils-coronavirus-vaccine-claiming-victory-in-global-race-before-final-testing-is-complete/2020/08/11/792f8a54-d813-11ea-a788-2ce86ce81129_story.html

The leading Russian vaccine candidate has so far been tested in small, early clinical trials designed to find the right dose and assess any safety concerns. It was given to scientists who developed it, in self-experimentation that is unusual in modern science, 50 members of the Russian military and a handful of other volunteers.

:titus
Margs

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #11481 on: August 11, 2020, 09:34:01 AM »
:putin

while likely iffy science and cutting corners, and assuming it doesn't cause a mutation or something to that effect,  it's fully possible the russian vaccine could work. people work back from lucky results in life all the time and it can speed up and/or locate successful processes.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
discounting gambler's fallacy for a minute
[close]

isn't that what happens in every outbreak movie anyway?  :lol

Tripon

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #11483 on: August 11, 2020, 11:26:05 AM »
https://twitter.com/TorontoStar/status/1293205172806533121

Genuinely surprised.

That said, mask use has been high in Toronto for a while. More people are wearing masks now outdoors than did indoors two months ago.

team filler

• filler
  • filler

Tripon

« Reply #11485 on: August 11, 2020, 12:37:24 PM »
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 12:43:23 PM by Tripon »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #11486 on: August 11, 2020, 02:32:03 PM »
Just saw a dude with purposeful holes in his mask and not wearing it over his nose. 

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #11487 on: August 11, 2020, 02:39:33 PM »
Just saw a dude with purposeful holes in his mask and not wearing it over his nose.

This is a non kink shaming forum  :wag
Margs

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #11488 on: August 11, 2020, 02:48:57 PM »
wasn't there a lot of discussion early on about how we had never made a vaccine for this type of virus before and one might never happen?  I thought I heard it described as akin to the mythical "curing the common cold" (which we collectively gave up on and just shrug and treat the symptoms)

were earlier reports wrong and it's wicked easy to vaccine or
Uncle

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #11489 on: August 11, 2020, 02:56:25 PM »
wasn't there a lot of discussion early on about how we had never made a vaccine for this type of virus before and one might never happen?  I thought I heard it described as akin to the mythical "curing the common cold" (which we collectively gave up on and just shrug and treat the symptoms)

The 1918 virus is still among us today.

If they develop a vaccine in 6 months it will prove the theory that they could have cured the flu and cold but never did because they make more money selling medicine for the symptoms
:O

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #11490 on: August 11, 2020, 03:01:13 PM »

As I understand it, the vaccines will help stop the worst cases, and minimize deaths. covid aint going away, it's already been shown to mutate .

We covid for life

Tripon

« Reply #11491 on: August 11, 2020, 03:03:19 PM »
Our best hope is that with a viable vaccine, it mutates to become another common cold instead of killing hundred of thousands each year.

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #11492 on: August 11, 2020, 03:05:15 PM »
I don't know that many knowledgeable people said a vaccine was not possible, just that it might not give long-lasting immunity. There was also a concern that SARS-CoV-2 would mutate so rapidly that the vaccine would soon become useless.

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #11493 on: August 11, 2020, 03:11:10 PM »

If they develop a vaccine in 6 months it will prove the theory that they could have cured the flu and cold but never did because they make more money selling medicine for the symptoms

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't there vaccines for the A/H1N1 strain, which caused the 1918 flu pandemic?

The immune response from a common cold fades fast, such that you can be reinfected soon after. I assume that plus the fact that there are so many causes of the cold make a vaccine impractical.

james

« Reply #11494 on: August 11, 2020, 03:12:35 PM »
Our best hope is that with a viable vaccine, it mutates to become another common cold instead of killing hundred of thousands each year.

What if it mutates into something like herpes, where it's inside you, and makes random appearances every so often right before a big important event.

I believe the chicken poxes work like that too. You think youre safe, you get old and BAM youre sick and dying because its back baby

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #11495 on: August 11, 2020, 03:35:51 PM »
As I think I mentioned before, developing vaccines costs an astronomical amount of money.

No one will invest that for something like the common cold. Similarly, vaccine development for SARS and MERS got shut down pretty quick because those outbreaks ended up being so limited, both geographically and temporally.

So there's your answer as to why there are currently no vaccines for other coronaviruses - it's got nothing to do with whether it's possible or not.

It's not going to "mutate" into something capable of latent infection either anytime soon (or ever). Those that do belong to completely different kinds of virus families, with dedicated mechanisms for this.

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #11496 on: August 11, 2020, 03:36:06 PM »
NZ had their first reported case(s) today. Auckland went into shutdown mode and people are back to panic buying at the store in response.

It's heart-warming to know that people are all the same, wherever we are.

james

« Reply #11497 on: August 11, 2020, 03:49:22 PM »
As I think I mentioned before, developing vaccines costs an astronomical amount of money.

No one will invest that for something like the common cold. Similarly, vaccine development for SARS and MERS got shut down pretty quick because those outbreaks ended up being so limited, both geographically and temporally.

So there's your answer as to why there are currently no vaccines for other coronaviruses - it's got nothing to do with whether it's possible or not.

It's not going to "mutate" into something capable of latent infection either anytime soon (or ever). Those that do belong to completely different kinds of virus families, with dedicated mechanisms for this.

Yeah clearly theres no market for a cure to the common cold and flu

:doge :doge :doge

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #11498 on: August 11, 2020, 03:57:01 PM »
maybe the JAMES fund should look into it :brain
(ice)

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #11499 on: August 11, 2020, 03:58:19 PM »

There are hundreds of cold viruses. Why bother creating a cure for all of them when you can just sell something that alleviates the symptons?

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #11500 on: August 11, 2020, 04:00:38 PM »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't there vaccines for the A/H1N1 strain, which caused the 1918 flu pandemic?

The immune response from a common cold fades fast, such that you can be reinfected soon after. I assume that plus the fact that there are so many causes of the cold make a vaccine impractical.

Yeah, there are plenty of flu vaccines. Sars-CoV-2 is not a flu virus, though. So can't be compared.
地平線

james

« Reply #11501 on: August 11, 2020, 04:30:47 PM »

There are hundreds of cold viruses. Why bother creating a cure for all of them when you can just sell something that alleviates the symptons?

Thats what Im saying. If they can whip up a corona cure in 6 month, it proves thats what theyve been doing for decades with the cold and flu

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #11502 on: August 11, 2020, 04:54:32 PM »

Last I checked the common cold doesn't shut down countries for months, nor does it kill hundreds of thousands per season..

The problem with the flu is that there's a fuckton of strains and it's more or less a guessing game and then race as to which one will hit next and needs vaccines produced for.

Influenza is also a lot more unstable than coronaviruses - flu vaccines' efficiencies are trash compared to say, yellow fever.

But keep living in your fantasy conspiracy world I guess.

BisMarckie

« Reply #11503 on: August 11, 2020, 04:56:46 PM »
Raist won the baited award 2020 as well :rejoice

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11504 on: August 11, 2020, 07:01:23 PM »
Corona-school news from my area:

1 school had a student test positive, whole class now under quarantine.

1 school had a teacher test positive, three classes now under quarantine.

1 school had 2 teachers test positive, entire school shut down for now.
dog

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #11505 on: August 11, 2020, 07:16:28 PM »
Need to import those angry Italian mayors to yell at people.

james

« Reply #11506 on: August 11, 2020, 07:47:30 PM »
The mayor of Indianapolis is pissed and is instituting a $1000 fine for not wearing masks

If I was a mayor and had access to a shoot first ask questions later PD i would be going HAM on the covidiots

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #11507 on: August 11, 2020, 08:00:56 PM »
you're on to something james, I guess everyone was just too lazy to try
you should leave now and work on it yourself and see it to fruition

james

« Reply #11508 on: August 11, 2020, 08:29:51 PM »
you're on to something james, I guess everyone was just too lazy to try
you should leave now and work on it yourself and see it to fruition

I missed the filing deadline, maybe next time

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #11509 on: August 11, 2020, 08:34:30 PM »
Sure would love a vaccine real early, not for myself. I'm in contact with some elderly relatives who can't fully quarantine and so need help. I've been borderline isolating for months too.
It'd be nice after months of that to be able to relax to normal safeguard levels without the risk of asymptotic transmission chalking me up a multiple person body count.

Texas:

In the week ending Aug. 8, an average 36,255 coronavirus tests were administered in Texas each day — a drop of about 42% from two weeks earlier, when the average number of daily tests was 62,516.

At the same time, the percentage of tests yielding positive results has climbed, up to 20% on average in the week ending Aug. 8. Two weeks earlier, the average positivity rate was around 14%.

I was wondering why case counts dropped, should've figured it was testing fuckery and not virus receding.

Tripon

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #11511 on: August 11, 2020, 10:02:41 PM »
©@©™

Tripon

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #11513 on: August 11, 2020, 10:48:29 PM »

T-Short

• hooker strangler
地平線

james

« Reply #11515 on: August 12, 2020, 12:04:07 PM »
Florida sheriff bans deputies, visitors from wearing masks

On Tuesday, as Florida set a daily record for covid-19 deaths, Marion County Sheriff Billy Woods prohibited his deputies from wearing masks at work. His order, which also applies to visitors to the sheriff’s office, carves out an exception for officers in some locations, including hospitals, and when dealing with people who are high-risk or suspected of having the novel coronavirus.

In an email to the sheriff’s department shared with The Washington Post, Woods disputed the idea that masks are a consensus approach to battling the pandemic.

“We can debate and argue all day of why and why not. The fact is, the amount of professionals that give the reason why we should, I can find the exact same amount of professionals that say why we shouldn’t,” Woods wrote in the email, which was first reported by the Ocala Star-Banner.

Woods, meanwhile, told his deputies on Tuesday to stop wearing masks in most cases. While officers can still mask up in areas including the courthouse and county jail, they must immediately take off the face coverings afterward. Deputies working special events are also forbidden from wearing masks, Woods said.

All visitors to sheriff’s department buildings will be asked to take off their masks in the lobby, Woods said, linking that rule to the ongoing protests against police brutality.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/08/12/masks-florida-ban-billy-woods/?utm_source=reddit.com

Nuke them from orbit. Its the only way to be sure.

Tripon

« Reply #11516 on: August 12, 2020, 12:16:03 PM »
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-newzealand-idUSKCN25801P?utm_source=reddit.com

The New Zealand unit of Atlanta, U.S.-based, Americold Realty Trust, a refrigerated storage specialist with operations in the United States, Canada, Argentina and Australia as well as New Zealand, identified itself as the owner of the cool store.

America is the typhoid Mary of the world.  :science

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy

team filler

• filler
  • filler

james

« Reply #11519 on: August 12, 2020, 03:43:12 PM »
Holy shit, Trump was right.

If we test less, we get less cases!