Author Topic: Random Gaming Talk Thread  (Read 3069749 times)

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
Re: Random Gaming Talk Thread
« Reply #27900 on: May 12, 2021, 02:19:59 PM »
Unless Ubi gives me: Mario Rabbids, Ironside Splinter Cell, or something original with a proper budget without any MTX or :gaas bullshit then I’ll continue to not give a shit about them  :trumps
Margs

Bebpo

« Reply #27901 on: May 12, 2021, 02:23:10 PM »
I feel like this is just another cycle.

During the X360 years it was - AAA Publishers giving up on Single Player games focusing on MP games
Then During the PS4 years it was - AAA Publishers going back to SP games
Now it's - AAA Publishers giving up on SP games and focusing on GAAS games

SP games will still stick around but their popularity and number of AAA releases will probably come and go as Publishers try to jump on the next hot thing and then go back to their bread & butter.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #27902 on: May 12, 2021, 02:39:52 PM »
Yes, because the business model change around (now seems like subscription is the next big thing) but the stuff people enjoy is always the same.
A nice narrative, escapism through immersion in another world, hanging out with friends.
I mean this literally encompasses every popular game from Uncharted to AmongUs.

You can flip it around in any way you want, but that doesn't change that basic aspect.

« Reply #27903 on: May 12, 2021, 07:51:32 PM »

we buying girlies?  :-*

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #27904 on: May 13, 2021, 03:12:49 AM »
Ubisoft has further clarified its commitment to big budget games in a new statement shared with Eurogamer. In it, the publisher says it is not reducing its typical AAA output:

"Our intention is to deliver a diverse line-up of games that players will love - across all platforms," a Ubisoft spokesperson said. "We are excited to be investing more in free-to-play experiences, however we want to clarify that this does not mean reducing our AAA offering. Our aim is to continue to deliver premium experiences to players such as Far Cry 6, Rainbow Six Quarantine, Riders Republic and Skull and Bones to name a few while also expanding our free-to-play portfolio and strengthening our brands to reach even more players."

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #27905 on: May 13, 2021, 11:20:02 AM »
GaaS = Money, so More GaaS = More Money :rejoice
©@©™

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #27906 on: May 13, 2021, 11:48:03 AM »
publisher says it is not reducing its typical AAA output:
:thinking
🤴

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #27907 on: May 13, 2021, 01:31:34 PM »
Yeah i saw Zhueg tweet also mention that take of "it just means MORE stuff".

That makes no sense to me.
Resources are limited, if you do more of X, you have less resources for Y.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27908 on: May 13, 2021, 01:51:49 PM »
Ubisoft:

dog

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #27909 on: May 13, 2021, 01:59:15 PM »
After they lamented the performance of Division 2 (even though it did alright).
After Anthem died a miserable death.
After Avengers flopped hard.
After Destiny got hundreds of millions invested in it, and still couldn't touch your usual Call of Duty...

Yeah, let's do more GAAS, that's a safe bet.

I mean i'm sure the formula works if you can find the right game to attach it to, but it seems far from being "safe" to me.
They do mention F2P though, so perhaps to them that's the key factor.

Bebpo

« Reply #27910 on: May 13, 2021, 01:59:51 PM »
They all trying to catch that Genshin Impact mobile gatcha money.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #27911 on: May 13, 2021, 02:43:41 PM »
Yeah remember that Battle Royale F2P FPS that Ubisoft made?

Hello?

Anyone?

What

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #27912 on: May 13, 2021, 04:08:21 PM »
the last ubisoft games I enjoyed were far cry 3 and assassins creed 3 nearly 10 years ago.
◕‿◕

naff

« Reply #27913 on: May 13, 2021, 04:11:51 PM »
took a look at Battlefield V Firestorm last night. tried jumping in a game and it was like "it usually takes over 3mins to join a game" lol no, went to advanced search and jumped in a great conquest on iwo jima instantly  :doge

why would I wait to play an inferior game mode? Will give firestorm a crack at some point, but the fad has been mostly lost on me
◕‿◕

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27914 on: May 13, 2021, 04:25:32 PM »
Assassin's Creed Odyssey was pretty good, but it's also the only game in the series I've really played very much.
dog

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #27915 on: May 13, 2021, 05:32:01 PM »
I was told Ubi ran out of ideas where to take Assassins Creed next after the shake-up in the creative team and toyed around with several ideas before deciding on the new direction.
So they allegedly tried to make a smaller scale Uncharted clone to fill in the gap between Valhalla and the next open world game but that project didn't move fast enough either.-

Skull and Bones is a bigger joke than Sea of Thieves at this point. It was announced at E3 2017, the expanded 'Assassins Creed sea battle' game has been in development longer than most Assassins Creed games.
I bet it is one of those games they've turned into a GaaS or plan to.

What else do they have announced, Rainbow Six: Quarantine / Parasite which is a spin off of Rainbow Six Siege, Far Cry 6 and well, that's about it as far as 'AAA' games go.  :doge

Oh I forgot about Beyond Good & Evil and the Prince of Persia remaster that's in a development hell but so did Ubisoft :idont
This all had a lot to do with that shake-up they announced a while back. That they would move away from just having the same narrative team pump out the same formula and rely more on the creativity of the individual creative directors.
However with the MeToo scandals and fallout hitting the creative leadershp ranks it has been quite difficult to make that work.

I don't understand why they didn't just blame the pandemic like everyone else. Maybe they plan to port/remaster Rayman 2 again, surely that counts at AAA?
🤴

naff

« Reply #27916 on: May 13, 2021, 05:43:18 PM »
not adapting existing popular IP like AC to a GaaS model or whatever seems like their biggest folly in terms of their attempts at online/f2p success. immortals fenyx rising seems to have been pretty well received as a shitty zelda clone, could see them attempting that as a gatcha style game (and it failing miserably). who the fuck cares about the anthem-verse, why would you play that? the concept was sub c-tier syfy channel trash. seems obvious to me no-one would want to play an avengers game in the style of the cinematic universe at least, and especially not a soulless GaaS version of it. i do like how they took an already soulless franchise and turned it into an even more soulless game though.

will probably try Wildlands now given the Dons recommendation
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 05:57:49 PM by naff »
◕‿◕

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #27917 on: May 13, 2021, 06:10:11 PM »
There seems to be a factory somewhere which just pumps out soulless bland shit like this

spoiler (click to show/hide)

[close]

Such videos have very low view counts on YouTube but a whole lot of paid 'bots' shilling how excited they are to play the new hit game from EASOFT(TM)

Indeed if I was Ubisoft I would just take the original Assassins Creed Knights Templar setting and develop a F2P multiplayer Asassins Creed: Crusade or whatever and asset flip it into an Assassins Creed 1 remake.
Odyssey and Valhalla prety much had the template for such a gameplay loop already with the forts, battles and camps.
🤴

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #27918 on: May 13, 2021, 07:35:42 PM »
will probably try Wildlands now given the Dons recommendation
I take no responsibility. :ufup
Keep in mind i liked many of their open worlds (i like open worlds in general) and i love ""realistic"" military shooters.
Also i played most of it in coop, i can't really recommend it if you're going to just play it solo.

EDIT: Then again you can probably find it on PC for like 5$ nowadays, so whatever.

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #27919 on: May 13, 2021, 07:42:13 PM »
There seems to be a factory somewhere which just pumps out soulless bland shit like this

spoiler (click to show/hide)

[close]

Such videos have very low view counts on YouTube but a whole lot of paid 'bots' shilling how excited they are to play the new hit game from EASOFT(TM)

Indeed if I was Ubisoft I would just take the original Assassins Creed Knights Templar setting and develop a F2P multiplayer Asassins Creed: Crusade or whatever and asset flip it into an Assassins Creed 1 remake.
Odyssey and Valhalla prety much had the template for such a gameplay loop already with the forts, battles and camps.

Did you try knockout city?

I dont like the visual style much, but game is very fun to play. Simple and easy to get into, I would probably buy it for 20 euros or less. Should probably just go f2p though, and live off skins.

Havent really paid attention to the two other games though, but pretty sure Hyper Scape is nothing like the other two

« Reply #27920 on: May 14, 2021, 01:37:44 PM »
I want a cyberpunk Ubisoft game. Just reskin ass creed. They have to be running out of weird time periods by now?  ???

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #27921 on: May 14, 2021, 02:55:52 PM »
I want a cyberpunk Ubisoft game. Just reskin ass creed. They have to be running out of weird time periods by now???
Why would you ruin AssCreed with that, when that's literally what Watch Dogs is? Legion is already based in the (near) future

Also no, history is long and full of cool shit they could do for AC.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #27922 on: May 14, 2021, 03:11:39 PM »
Because watch dogs legion is garbage
What

« Reply #27923 on: May 14, 2021, 03:13:00 PM »
I didn’t like watch dogs 2 at all. Never played the first one or legion, I want blade runner / shadowrun era 80s cyberpunk if possible. And I think Ubisoft could make a new game before cdpr finally fixes/fleshes out 2077 at this rate.

Basically I want the Cyberpunk 2077 game we had hoped it was going to be.  :P

Svejk

« Reply #27924 on: May 14, 2021, 03:38:39 PM »
I want a cyberpunk Ubisoft game. Just reskin ass creed. They have to be running out of weird time periods by now???
Why would you ruin AssCreed with that, when that's literally what Watch Dogs is? Legion is already based in the (near) future
I've been wanting that since AC2.  Watch Doges is still too modern in comparison.  Talking about parkouring from one mile tall buildings, across flying vehicles to another to assassinate a mob boss on a floating, heavily armed luxury vessel, with robot arms type cyberass crud.
Also no, history is long and full of cool shit they could do for AC.
But this is Ubisoft, so they won't.  They'd be more likely to revisit AC1 era... do a remake even, before doing something interesting again.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #27925 on: May 14, 2021, 04:09:01 PM »
I heard they were going back to the crusades so yea
What

Rahxephon91

« Reply #27926 on: May 14, 2021, 04:40:19 PM »
I don’t really want anything from Ubisoft.

Honestly can’t think of a publisher/developer who I have less interest in.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #27927 on: May 14, 2021, 07:00:00 PM »
I didn’t like watch dogs 2 at all. Never played the first one or legion, I want blade runner / shadowrun era 80s cyberpunk if possible. And I think Ubisoft could make a new game before cdpr finally fixes/fleshes out 2077 at this rate.

Basically I want the Cyberpunk 2077 game we had hoped it was going to be.  :P
Ubisoft never really did anything with deep RPG mechanics, so i dunno why you'd want them to tackle it.

But this is Ubisoft, so they won't.  They'd be more likely to revisit AC1 era... do a remake even, before doing something interesting again.
I think they tackled pretty interesting historical periods so far, even though they mostly went for the greatest hits, obviously.
Either way, even a well trodden historical period beats sci-fi #98736 for me.
And that's the one piece of identity that the series should really strive to maintain, or you might as well call it something else.

I already think the fantasy bent Odyssey took was completely out of place.
It's one thing to play it fast and loose with dates and characters, it's one thing to have the odd mission with the "hallucination", but to have the whole game just be completely bonkers, it just flattens what makes the series stand out from just another open world fantasy game.

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #27928 on: May 14, 2021, 07:19:53 PM »
The new fall guys levels and variations are fantastic.

naff

« Reply #27929 on: May 14, 2021, 07:21:51 PM »
can confirm, they good. been playing fall guys quite a lot
◕‿◕

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #27930 on: May 14, 2021, 07:23:07 PM »
can confirm, they good. been playing fall guys quite a lot

Have you made it through the slimescraper yet? Just got through it the first time today, and only with one other bean. Had a 1v1 finale in button bashers which I didnt even think was a thing, but it was a great finale.

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal

naff

« Reply #27932 on: May 14, 2021, 08:17:27 PM »
I have only done a slime scrape once and didn't make it. I also find short circuit v tough
◕‿◕

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #27933 on: May 14, 2021, 09:54:03 PM »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #27934 on: May 16, 2021, 02:51:15 PM »
🤴

Rahxephon91

« Reply #27935 on: May 16, 2021, 10:24:48 PM »
Why do you need to hack it? Just get the Legacy Collection.

Which is still pretty cheap:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Metal-Gear-Solid-Legacy-Konami-Playstation-3-00083717202943/38415081?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=101010909

Edit-Oh Portable Ops.......I don't think its worth it.

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #27936 on: May 17, 2021, 02:39:24 PM »
Ubisoft:

Not that far off from KMFDM TBH :thinking
Hi

naff

« Reply #27937 on: May 17, 2021, 06:31:32 PM »
Bout to get a PS3 for free, gonna hax it and make it a Metal Gear Machine to end all Metal Gear Machines

the funny part is the metal gear collection plays a lot better on xbone, esp mgs3 where the framerate is p dogshit on ps3 jumping between 30 and 60fps constantly. x360 is also better than the ps3 version.

m$ wins again  8)

◕‿◕

naff

« Reply #27938 on: May 17, 2021, 06:41:47 PM »
i feel like there has to be a new remaster in the works. criminal how difficult it is to play good versions of these games (well, i guess it's easy, but you have to own an xbox and a ps3 basically to play the whole series as intended. pc version of mgs1 is dogshit without mods actually sounds like the gog update on the original pc version is pretty great  :rejoice, microsoft stays winning. emulation of 3 is still not as good as just playing on bone imo).

not quite up there with the criminality of the versions of FF6 squeenix has made available though. they should refund everyone who bought a version based on the mobile port (every version on consoles etc)  :'( a rerelease on switch at some point using the original spritework and including the psx fmv's is the best hope i can think of for the game, though if they leave the atrocious battle load times of the psx version as they did for FFIX (extremely sad aspect of the port) that would be gutting
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 07:14:43 PM by naff »
◕‿◕

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #27939 on: May 17, 2021, 08:00:19 PM »
i feel like there has to be a new remaster in the works. criminal how difficult it is to play good versions of these games
[cries in Silent Hill]

Rahxephon91

« Reply #27940 on: May 17, 2021, 10:42:11 PM »
Square really should get its backlog up on modern platforms. They are like one of the few 3rd parties that I feel could have a subscription service dedicated just to them.

Quaker

« Reply #27941 on: May 18, 2021, 02:58:50 AM »
Well, they might also be the only game company to have their own Song of the South...

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #27942 on: May 18, 2021, 03:58:46 AM »
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #27943 on: May 18, 2021, 02:48:32 PM »
🤴

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #27944 on: May 18, 2021, 02:54:27 PM »
 :-X corporate trash
What

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #27945 on: May 19, 2021, 10:19:34 AM »
 :lol :lol :lol

Svejk

« Reply #27946 on: May 19, 2021, 11:43:19 AM »

This is as bad as Ubisoft selling an upgrade for faster leveling in AC: Odyssey.  :doge

paprikastaude

« Reply #27947 on: May 19, 2021, 01:06:52 PM »

tl;dr? Tutorial deactivation only through Amebo? :doge

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #27948 on: May 19, 2021, 01:09:25 PM »
I see they spend their time adding another convoluted Fi animation for something that could've been done with a single button press  :lawd

"Insiders" : Nintendo has finished production on a new 2D Metroid game
Nintendo: lmao we locked fast travel behind an Amiibo

Anyway, this may look useless, but remember that Wolf Link was added to BOTW with the Amiibo.
In BOTW 2 you can probably use this Loftwing(TM) as well to fly across the map and then you'll be sorry that you didn't buy it.  :doge

Considering how rare these things will be with current chip shortages you better get your order in quick.
🤴

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #27949 on: May 19, 2021, 06:25:31 PM »

tl;dr? Tutorial deactivation only through Amebo? :doge
Haven't played the game, but it seems like the fast travel stone from Dragon's Dogma's endgame.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #27950 on: May 19, 2021, 07:17:11 PM »
There's really no point in going back to the hub in Skyward Sword as the areas in the game are quite lineair and there's barely any content in the Sky.  :doge
The only reason I guess is farming all the items and materials and returning them quickly to Skyloft.
🤴

Svejk

« Reply #27951 on: May 19, 2021, 07:38:32 PM »
There's really no point in going back to the hub in Skyward Sword as the areas in the game are quite lineair and there's barely any content in the Sky.  :doge
The only reason I guess is farming all the items and materials and returning them quickly to Skyloft.
Yeah basically.. or if you really suck and need to fill up potions mid run.  It really is kind of pointless.. Glad Nintendo put time and effort into a distinguished mentally-challenged gimmick.  :doge

benjipwns

« Reply #27952 on: May 20, 2021, 02:08:10 AM »
Publisher Deep Silver has announced the reformation of Free Radical Design, a new studio that will start development the next entry in the TimeSplitters franchise “in the coming months.” It was formed by key members of original Free Radical Design team, including founders Steve Ellis and David Doak.

“It’s this unique style that earned the TimeSplitters series a large and passionate following who will, without doubt, be excited by the formation of Deep Silver’s latest studio and will look forward to learning more as the franchise moves forward,” said Deep Silver global brand and marketing director Paul Nicholls in a press release.

Free Radical Design studio development director Steve Ellis added, “To finally be able to confirm that the studio has been formed and that we have a plan for the next TimeSplitters game is incredible. While we cannot tell you anything more at the moment, we look forward to sharing information in the future.”

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #27953 on: May 20, 2021, 02:40:14 AM »
From the devs of Homefront Revolution? 😛
What

benjipwns

Quaker

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #27956 on: May 20, 2021, 01:56:28 PM »
🤴

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #27957 on: May 20, 2021, 02:35:59 PM »
Dr. Steve  :info
Margs

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #27958 on: May 20, 2021, 03:48:23 PM »
The radical left is at it again!
©@©™

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27959 on: May 20, 2021, 07:16:54 PM »
https://twitter.com/EmbracerInvest/status/1395237196974657538

For reference, this is the company formerly known as Nordic/THQ-Nordic. They current own Coffee Stain, Gearbox, Flying Wild Hog, Free Radical Design, Volition, Saber Interactive, Piranha Bytes, and others.
dog