Author Topic: River Of Slime |OT| Mission: Impossible  (Read 3858310 times)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
Re: River Of Slime |OT| Mission: Impossible
« Reply #32281 on: July 21, 2019, 03:08:29 PM »

classic era

benjipwns

« Reply #32282 on: July 21, 2019, 03:13:46 PM »
People started throwing around the term "Nazi" to describe anything remotely bigoted because it was hyperbolic and got people's attention. The problem is that by calling everyone from David Duke to Pewdiepie Nazis, it starts to soften the term and downplay legitimate Fascist movements. In a weird roundabout way it normalizes the term and makes it a regular part of public discourse.

I guess at the end of the day it's semantics surrounding "racist," but I still think it's worth while to be specific when attacking people.
None of that is true, though.

Calling someone a Nazi doesn't "soften" anything. Downplaying the use of the word Nazi, however, does.

By saying "well the POST-MODERN NEO-MARXIST REGRESSIVE LEFT calls everyone a Nazi," you're downplaying the seriousness of actual Nazis and allow people like Richard Spencer to sneak into the public discourse by compartmentalizing them into a different brand of Nazi. "He's not a Nazi, he's a white nationalist. He's not far-right, he's alt-right."

At what point to those hair-splitting definitions start causing more harm than good?

I'll tell you: right now. It's causing harm right fucking now.

railGUN

• If my bones are breaking would you tell me that I'm weak?
« Reply #32283 on: July 21, 2019, 03:13:52 PM »
Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starting the thread with "Moochelle" is such a great start and the right way to get people to listen to you.

Not to mention all the memes made by the Republicans and Tea Party of Michelle being obese and eating chicken out the bucket was racist as heck.

They said that? I remember people saying they thought she had a penis, but I don't remember hearing people calling her fat or making chicken comments. She always seemed ok to me, just kind of boring. Although I will say she looks like a cabbage patch doll.
Fish<

Jansen

« Reply #32284 on: July 21, 2019, 03:14:07 PM »
Silky is distinguished mentally-challenged
spoiler (click to show/hide)
or a prof beef alt
[close]

VomKriege

• Do the moron
ὕβρις

benjipwns

VomKriege

• Do the moron
ὕβρις

benjipwns

« Reply #32288 on: July 21, 2019, 03:18:40 PM »
At what point to those hair-splitting definitions start causing more harm than good?

I'll tell you: right now. It's causing harm right fucking now.

SmokyDave

« Reply #32289 on: July 21, 2019, 03:19:06 PM »
A white guy def wrote that
I dunno man, did you see the “what’s popping y’all”? That definitely sounds like something that one black person said about twenty years ago, so I think they’re legit.
a Real Black Person™ would have dropped the g :ufup

source: rap music
Funnily enough I typed poppin’, then went back and checked the source to correct myself. I think that poster might be albino.

Propagandhim

« Reply #32291 on: July 21, 2019, 03:25:17 PM »
What's poppin' yall!? Shiiiiit, maaaaan. That honky muf' be messin' mah old lady... got to be runnin' cold upside down his head, you know?

ROLL CALL OF MY PEEPZ REPRAZENT

:neogaf :gladbron :heh :holeup :jawalrus :kobeyuck :lawd :leon :mynicca :gurl :aah :badass :comeon :dead :noah :ufup :whew :whoo :ohhh :shaq2 :shaq :sabu :obama :yeshrug :snoop :rejoice :fabulous :dayum :phil :flabbypd :foxx :what :aweshum :nintendo :sheik :cac :mouf :letsfukk :quark :dunno :cmonson :confused :playa :salute :rollsafe :rollsafe :mjcry :crowdlaff :shaqc :nothot :foodcourt :rkelly :ohyeah :nope :pitbull :ltg :juicy :camby

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Why won't you call me like you really want to?
[close]

Wait, why is the Ferengi there

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty

VomKriege

• Do the moron
ὕβρις

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #32296 on: July 21, 2019, 03:33:30 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/boogie2988-3-dollars-is-a-lot-of-money-for-a-person-of-color.130346/

That OP :heh
We do not, and will never, have a platform for Boogie on Era.

Can't even make a thread about how you're upset at boogie  :lol

benjipwns

« Reply #32297 on: July 21, 2019, 03:33:36 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/girlfriend-reviews-should-your-boyfriend-play-grand-theft-auto-5.130225/post-22949688
Like I said, the joke is that it plays with expectations. You're expecting something offensive and that is supposed to be a male fantasy. It's then resolved with something completely ridiculous. Not unlike "This is what peak performance looks like"
Are we expected to agree with the woman in the setup then? That video games do appeal to the male fantasy but oh psych here’s a Nintendog gotcha? Or are we meant to laugh at the woman in the setup because she’s wrong and the punchline drives that home?
Quote from: astro
And yet it has the effect of it being for that audience, ie: those who dismiss Anita's concerns.

Jokes aren't told in a vacuum and have effect on the world around us.
Are you saying the person giving the line has no bearing on the joke itself? It could literally be anyone saying that line, in any context, and still be funny because the expectation of the correctness of the setup is subverted by the punchline?
:dead :dead :dead :dead

benjipwns

« Reply #32298 on: July 21, 2019, 03:36:02 PM »
the morons can't even tell it's not Anita and that basically all the memes are how it's being described including the "original":

Propagandhim

« Reply #32299 on: July 21, 2019, 03:36:19 PM »
:quark

the expectation of the correctness of the setup is subverted by the punchline

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #32300 on: July 21, 2019, 03:37:39 PM »
It subverted my expectation.
©@©™

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #32301 on: July 21, 2019, 03:39:35 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/girlfriend-reviews-should-your-boyfriend-play-grand-theft-auto-5.130225/post-22949688
Like I said, the joke is that it plays with expectations. You're expecting something offensive and that is supposed to be a male fantasy. It's then resolved with something completely ridiculous. Not unlike "This is what peak performance looks like"
Are we expected to agree with the woman in the setup then? That video games do appeal to the male fantasy but oh psych here’s a Nintendog gotcha? Or are we meant to laugh at the woman in the setup because she’s wrong and the punchline drives that home?
And yet it has the effect of it being for that audience, ie: those who dismiss Anita's concerns.

Are you saying the person giving the line has no bearing on the joke itself? It could literally be anyone saying that line, in any context, and still be funny because the expectation of the correctness of the setup is subverted by the punchline?
:dead :dead :dead :dead

Resetera trying to understand humor is something to behold

benjipwns

« Reply #32302 on: July 21, 2019, 03:39:44 PM »
which of u dis https://www.resetera.com/threads/is-jack-black-jablinski-games-doing-a-charity-stream-with-pewdiepie.130312/post-22949357
Honestly I still remember Prince Harry dressing as a nazi back in 2005 and nobody cancelled the royal family, and the world moved on,. Hell even ERA they fawned over the royal kids and how Harry is awesome. meanwhile these people get labeled as the devil themselves (Pewdie pie, Nakey Jakey and that Girlfriend reviews team) ... except JonTron (He's an idiot with his racist rants - especially being the son of an immigrant family lol) , Pewdie pie seems like a guy who doesnt care and does what he wants.

Now Jackblack is gonna be disowned or what ?
To be fair, we weren't dealing with Neo Nazis back then.
What is Stromfront
On this scale.

Anyway, deplatforming isn't enough at this point.
We need to signal boost progressive champions.

If we have YTers like Contrapoints, Hbomberguy and PhilosophyTube in the millions of subscribers category, we'll have a greater influence over the internet.

benjipwns

« Reply #32303 on: July 21, 2019, 03:41:52 PM »
To be fair, most people probably aren't in this mindset of trying to make a political statement and own one side all the time. Sometimes a joke is just a joke and it's not meant to prove or disprove anything.
And, as above, jokes have effect regardless of intent.

I personally think people with platform have a responsibility to understand the things they could contrinbute to with their jokes.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #32304 on: July 21, 2019, 03:45:42 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/girlfriend-reviews-should-your-boyfriend-play-grand-theft-auto-5.130225/page-3#post-22949890

It's amazing how in the recent RLM shitstorm and now this one there's messages shifting the blame of the derail on the "fans" refusing to listen.
ὕβρις

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #32305 on: July 21, 2019, 03:48:59 PM »
Neo Nazis didn’t exist in 2005.
©@©™

SmokyDave

« Reply #32306 on: July 21, 2019, 03:49:57 PM »
It’s like watching a dog trying to work a combination lock.

benjipwns

« Reply #32307 on: July 21, 2019, 03:50:27 PM »
It's amazing how in the recent RLM shitstorm and now this one there's messages shifting the blame of the derail on the "fans" refusing to listen.
FACT CHECK: the forum was founded for and by people who wanted to get away from the Trump-supporting rapist Evilore and the corrupt moderators who encouraged and enabled this power dynamic, the forum wasn't meant for Gamers

benjipwns

« Reply #32308 on: July 21, 2019, 03:51:02 PM »
Neo Nazis didn’t exist in 2005.
Global Warming created them after 2014

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #32309 on: July 21, 2019, 03:51:36 PM »
To be fair what is there really to discuss in these videos? They use the same format every week and just talk about different games. Unlike someone like Jim Sterling
:iface

This week in EA's microtransactions...

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #32310 on: July 21, 2019, 03:51:45 PM »
https://twitter.com/Boogie2988/status/1139219270712168448

Do you know who also killed themselves when they were pushed into a corner?  8)
🤴

benjipwns

« Reply #32311 on: July 21, 2019, 03:53:23 PM »
Jack Black is definitely a little bit inconsiderate but the proof of this was that he simply left the stream after 2 hours and the donation goal was only halfway there. He said they had a bbq planned lol

If that doesn't make him look like he really only goes with the flow and nothing more then I don't know what, Pewdiepie donated 10k after that I believe. Maybe Black also donated something, wasn't clear but it looked like he just up and left.
lol

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #32312 on: July 21, 2019, 03:53:51 PM »
Afaik does boogie even get hate from both sides. He is a true centrist

:salute

benjipwns

« Reply #32313 on: July 21, 2019, 03:54:52 PM »
To be fair what is there really to discuss in these videos? They use the same format every week and just talk about different games. Unlike someone like Jim Sterling
:iface

This week in EA's microtransactions...
speaking of guys who dress and act like Nazis who said terrible things about women/minorities on the internet

benjipwns

« Reply #32314 on: July 21, 2019, 03:57:02 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/is-jack-black-jablinski-games-doing-a-charity-stream-with-pewdiepie.130312/post-22950280
Those of us who have a problem with this, are merely pointing out that Youtube does not care about the racism that is rampant on that platform, and the fact that people like Pewdiepie whose primary audience is children is like a gateway drug into more sinister and direct forms of this ideology is the problem.

It possible to take in information, and make better decisions going forward without internalizing what people are saying and making it personal. "Classic era" is just era doing the bare minimum of not ignoring racist and right wing shitposting that is rampant in pretty much every other corner of videogame related discussions online. Resetera is like the only place that I know of that isn't consistently filled with hate, and it's better for it.
i think i have a bingo

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #32315 on: July 21, 2019, 03:57:33 PM »
Jack Black is definitely a little bit inconsiderate but the proof of this was that he simply left the stream after 2 hours and the donation goal was only halfway there. He said they had a bbq planned lol

If that doesn't make him look like he really only goes with the flow and nothing more then I don't know what, Pewdiepie donated 10k after that I believe. Maybe Black also donated something, wasn't clear but it looked like he just up and left.
lol

This is a tough call for RE. Is he a dick for leaving a charity stream halfway through or is a hero for ditching Pewdiepie

benjipwns

« Reply #32316 on: July 21, 2019, 03:59:38 PM »
I mean, yeah, it works both ways.
That’s why it’s a shitty joke, it wants you to laugh at a serious issue by dismissing it as incorrect, irrelevant, or insignificant by creating a disingenuous contrast with something cute, goofy, unrelated, etc. The worldview it subscribes to, one where games are immune from criticism because the people doing the criticizing somehow don’t “get it,” is a shitty one.
:rofl

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #32317 on: July 21, 2019, 04:01:17 PM »
Kinthey is a Saint. Surprised he wasn't martyred yet.
ὕβρις

benjipwns

« Reply #32318 on: July 21, 2019, 04:02:28 PM »
I definitely agree with this. I enjoyed these more when they highlighted what I felt like was her opinion more. The RDR2 review is still my favorite because it mirrored the experience I had with my SO so perfectly. It really felt like a fresh perspective on the typical gaming YouTuber.

A lot of times it feels like they're too up to date on current gaming hot topics and memes that I feel like no one but a very engaged gamer would know, which just comes across as fake for the persona they are trying to embody.
:doge

benjipwns

« Reply #32320 on: July 21, 2019, 04:07:41 PM »
Vom, I think you're not understanding:
Intent doesn't negate effect, too, this is the point.
And, again, intent doesn't negate effect.
I never said it did...
You're talking about intent of the joke, right? I'm saying that's not the point, because it still has a negative effect and people with a platform have a responsibility to understand this.

Not sure where the confusion is here...

benjipwns

« Reply #32321 on: July 21, 2019, 04:10:09 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/are-%E2%80%9Ccollectors-editions%E2%80%9D-actually-good-for-collectors.130353/
Hey y’all,

Video game collecting is something I would definitely enjoy if I had the money to fund it! The idea of preserving parts of history from the hobby that was entertained me throughout my life really appeals to me.

When thinking about an introductory avenue to video game collecting, immediately the items that jumped to mind were amiibo and “collectors edtions” of games - which is primarily what inspired this thread.

When I talk about collectors editions, I mean those (usually) limited releases of games that contain some extra stuff or come in a nicer case but cost more to buy. Now, the people who buy these- could they consider themselves collectors? Will these items maintain some historical value in the future, or even increase in value as they become scarcer? Does it depend on the genre/game/developer? Can you name a collectors edition that deserved to be called by that name, or are they all merely extracting extra cash from the consumer for no real collectible benefit?

Propagandhim

« Reply #32322 on: July 21, 2019, 04:12:11 PM »
I mean, yeah, it works both ways.
That’s why it’s a shitty joke, it wants you to laugh at a serious issue by dismissing it as incorrect, irrelevant, or insignificant by creating a disingenuous contrast with something cute, goofy, unrelated, etc. The worldview it subscribes to, one where games are immune from criticism because the people doing the criticizing somehow don’t “get it,” is a shitty one.
:rofl

I always had this fantasy of renting a private plane and airdropping a 10-ton stack of benign cartoons of Muhammad all over Saudi Arabia (Like those caricature artists at the beach drawing you playing tennis with your girlfriend), just to see what would happen.  Now I know.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 04:16:12 PM by Propagandhim »

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #32323 on: July 21, 2019, 04:16:16 PM »
The idea of preserving parts of history from the hobby

:science
ὕβρις

benjipwns

« Reply #32324 on: July 21, 2019, 04:18:04 PM »
this dude just shifted the PewDiePie is a literal Nazi who ordered a mass shooting to PewDiePie likes Ben Shaprio who is a literal Nazi who ordered a mass shooting and then turned it into a weird either-or choice, they're so bad at this :lol
Let's pretend, for a moment, I was Muslim. Born and raised in a country where Islam was the primary religion.

Now let's say some of my family members in New Zealand were killed in a mosque because some Nazi asshole whispered the catchphrase of some Swedish guy on YouTube.

This Swedish guy is one who has made Nazi jokes, dropped the N-Bomb, followed Nazi assholes on Twitter who hated my religion, one of said Nazi assholes even appearing in one of his videos, that same Nazi asshole being at the top of a VIP list of another mosque shooter's "most viewed Twitter profiles" and had the audacity to pretend like he couldn't control the actions of another person.

Would you tell me, to my face, that this is a person that I should be forgiving?

Now back to me, the real life cis-het white male. Would you sooner have me stand with someone like PewDiePie, or someone who was directly affected by the stupid bullshit he has pulled throughout his wretched career?

Also, the point is that PewDiePie has said racist things multiple times, he follows people who have said racist things multiple times, and is party to a new outreach strategy that has been openly discussed by people the likes of Steve Bannon. To pretend like none of this is happening is to be burying your head in the sand simply because you don't want to acknowledge it.
like i mean :lol

Propagandhim

« Reply #32325 on: July 21, 2019, 04:20:43 PM »
Now let's say some of my family members in New Zealand were killed in a mosque because some Nazi asshole whispered the catchphrase of some Swedish guy on YouTube.

:lol :lol

paprikastaude

« Reply #32326 on: July 21, 2019, 04:20:45 PM »
Vom, I think you're not understanding:
Intent doesn't negate effect, too, this is the point.
And, again, intent doesn't negate effect.
I never said it did...
You're talking about intent of the joke, right? I'm saying that's not the point, because it still has a negative effect and people with a platform have a responsibility to understand this.

Not sure where the confusion is here...

Sorry, I still don't get it, I need a better explanation.

benjipwns

« Reply #32327 on: July 21, 2019, 04:23:42 PM »
The Importance of Being Respectful

Please be respectful when posting in threads. This includes when you post about the topic at hand and especially when you address other members. Do not make unfounded and inflammatory accusations to discredit and/or antagonize your fellow members (such calling them a shill, astroturfer, etc). Do not shame users based on their post count, avatar choice, or what community they belong to. Avoid hurling insults or making disagreements personal. If someone else is causing trouble, report them rather than trying to reciprocate.
:huh

benjipwns

« Reply #32328 on: July 21, 2019, 04:24:37 PM »
This isn't how reality works. If you think people like PDP are doing this out of the goodness of their hearts you are mistaken. They are trying to spread their brand. They are trying to seem to seem like the "good guys" to people like you so others can't call out their shit.

Propagandhim

« Reply #32329 on: July 21, 2019, 04:25:13 PM »
This isn't how reality works. If you think people like PDP are doing this out of the goodness of their hearts you are mistaken. They are trying to spread their brand. They are trying to seem to seem like the "good guys" to people like you so others can't call out their shit.

Classic nazi strategy

benjipwns

« Reply #32330 on: July 21, 2019, 04:29:44 PM »
You may think someone who regularly promotes and donates to charity may have some sort of good intentions but it's really to make sure more children grow up to push the genocidal cult.

They're almost as obsessed with secret "enemy within" conspiracies and numerology as the actual Nazis were.

benjipwns

« Reply #32331 on: July 21, 2019, 04:32:02 PM »
Okay, I'm gonna ask you kindly to put yourself in another person's shoes.

Imagine being a Jewish person, and seeing Pewdiepie signal boost a Youtube channel filled with mostly anti-semitic videos.

Imagine being a Muslim, and finding out that the New Zealand terrorist attacker was a fan of Pewdiepie.

Imagine being a black person, and being constantly told that Pewdiepie's usage of the N-word was justified.

It's ridiculous to think kindness should come first in these scenarios. Your real feelings should come first, not kindness.
i like how all of these are completely twisted and only ResetERA.com's paranoid version of events

So neo-Nazis are only a thing of the 2010’s? Dude, I am sorry, but Neo-nazis have always been a thing, since the end of WW2.
They are worse and more empowered now is that posters point.
because of secret signals sent via YouTubers!

benjipwns

« Reply #32332 on: July 21, 2019, 04:41:43 PM »
It's been said but it's not hard to understand why they're all so fucking miserable when they see every second of every day as a crushing onrush of evil from the internet terrorizing them that they keep checking (via proxy through Twitter/ResetERA.com threads) to see more of. This is not hard to understand. Because it's not hard to understand when you seek out endless terror you think endless terror is everywhere because it's the only place you go. It's like the saying "nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" which is not hard to understand for this small niche forum (which is the most popular independent gaming forum on the internet even though nobody there likes gaming) that splintered off of another forum for still unknown reasons while trying to limit new users to only those within approved discords and then proceeded to ban itself into endless paranoia from the endless terror of that evil trying to overthrow the paradise. It even says that the goal is walling itself off in the mission statement:
Safeguarded by technology, a vigilant staff, and some of the toughest registration screening of any public forum, ResetEra has been able to cultivate a highly active and passionate community while keeping most trolls and bad actors off of the site.
So you can see, it's not really hard to understand.

benjipwns

« Reply #32333 on: July 21, 2019, 04:45:15 PM »
Wow, victim blaming me.

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #32334 on: July 21, 2019, 04:47:16 PM »
It's been said but it's not hard to understand why they're all so fucking miserable when they see every second of every day as a crushing onrush of evil from the internet terrorizing them that they keep checking (via proxy through Twitter/ResetERA.com threads) to see more of. This is not hard to understand. Because it's not hard to understand when you seek out endless terror you think endless terror is everywhere because it's the only place you go. It's like the saying "nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" which is not hard to understand for this small niche forum (which is the most popular independent gaming forum on the internet even though nobody there likes gaming) that splintered off of another forum for still unknown reasons while trying to limit new users to only those within approved discords and then proceeded to ban itself into endless paranoia from the endless terror of that evil trying to overthrow the paradise. It even says that the goal is walling itself off in the mission statement:
Safeguarded by technology, a vigilant staff, and some of the toughest registration screening of any public forum, ResetEra has been able to cultivate a highly active and passionate community while keeping most trolls and bad actors off of the site.
So you can see, it's not really hard to understand.
Right, all this is about the intent of Resetera, but what about the effect?
每天生气

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #32335 on: July 21, 2019, 04:48:48 PM »
pewdiepie's subscription count is even more impressive when you realise it doesn't include any jews, muslims or black people.

Propagandhim

« Reply #32336 on: July 21, 2019, 04:49:00 PM »
The effect is that all the bad actors and trolls are gone -- like Marrec, for instance.

benjipwns

« Reply #32337 on: July 21, 2019, 04:49:44 PM »
Right, all this is about the intent of Resetera, but what about the effect?
Nothing but growth since they canned and banned kristoffer:

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #32338 on: July 21, 2019, 04:52:58 PM »
Are these the "causalities" NeoGAF member Texas Pride was warning me about?
每天生气

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #32339 on: July 21, 2019, 04:56:49 PM »
Are these the "causalities" NeoGAF member Texas Pride was warning me about?

ὕβρις