Author Topic: THE FOOTBALL/SOCCER THREAD  (Read 175039 times)

Himu

Re: THE FOOTBALL/SOCCER THREAD - CHAMPIONS LEAGUE :punch
« Reply #900 on: September 30, 2014, 05:00:57 PM »
Fucking EA.

DL Fifa 15 demo on origin, can't play it. GOD. I do NOT want to hook up a console for this fucking shit. :beli
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #901 on: September 30, 2014, 06:46:33 PM »
FIFA 15 demo was great. Will get. There's a larger emphasis in counter attacks now and it since that's my favorite style to watch, it really appeals to me.
IYKYK

Himu

IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #903 on: October 01, 2014, 12:00:42 AM »
Gonna be honest, I don't really think I enjoy watching Bayern or City.

The former playing that tiki taka lite style. Not a fan really.  I like watching Muller's onside creep and his mastery of space (btw it's amazing how good he is vs. his total lack of grace/aesthetics), but the rest? :yeshrug Lahm is also interesting to watch, but it's a subtle fun. I wonder what'll happen re: Gotze and Ribery.

City are just kind of boring. Feels like they win most of their matches on individual talent and being more physical than the competition. Rarely see any passing play i like, or dribbling/duels I enjoy. just feels like mano a mano they have better and bigger men than the other side and strikers who are really really good at exploiting the chances they get.

I agree about City. They're not much to look at this season But they're a conservative club and extremely great at counter attacking. I still liked stuff from them against Roma. I felt like they did a good job setting up scoring opportunities despite the draw. For a real look at City I think you'll have to wait till the manchester derby so look forward to November 1.

I'm still on the fence with what club I want to support.
IYKYK

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #904 on: October 01, 2014, 12:46:13 AM »
City are just kind of boring. Feels like they win most of their matches on individual talent and being more physical than the competition. Rarely see any passing play i like, or dribbling/duels I enjoy. just feels like mano a mano they have better and bigger men than the other side and strikers who are really really good at exploiting the chances they get.

Pellegrini is a bad manager. :shaq2

I hate all the scrubs that have won trophies with Abu Dhabi's dgaf spending on City.

DCharlieJP

• the ex-XFE, now 3rd in-line for SFE
  • Icon
« Reply #905 on: October 01, 2014, 01:44:16 AM »
DL Fifa 15 demo on origin, can't play it. GOD. I do NOT want to hook up a console for this fucking shit.

they are doing you a favour - the issues kill the game, the defensive side is completely borked and every player can seemingly waltz into your box at will.

First time i actually -wanted- Fifa 15 to just be Fifa 14 with prettier graphics and better presentation.
O=X

Himu

« Reply #906 on: October 01, 2014, 02:01:04 AM »
That bad? The demo wasn't terrible on intermediate. But reading reader reviews...:kobeyuck
IYKYK

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #907 on: October 01, 2014, 02:07:27 AM »
Fifa has bad slowdown during gameplay on xbox btw, i played it all weekend.

Fucking ajax could have won if that gimp siggy wasnt playing, de boer is so annoying to keep giving him 90 min.

Himu

« Reply #908 on: October 01, 2014, 02:12:56 AM »
I really want 2k to make a soccer game :uguu

FIFA 2k :lawd
IYKYK

DCharlieJP

• Icon
« Reply #909 on: October 01, 2014, 03:45:02 AM »
That bad? The demo wasn't terrible on intermediate. But reading reader reviews...

I need to go back to the demo as things didn't seem that bad but that might be down to the teams available.

Playing any other lower teams and -no one- can defend - and all forward players can waltz into the box at will.

The presentation is so awesome though, and graphically - at times - it's dazzling. I hope to god they patch it.

O=X

Courage

« Reply #910 on: October 01, 2014, 03:41:12 PM »

:dead

Himu

« Reply #911 on: October 01, 2014, 03:46:35 PM »
Welcome! A new SoccerBore poster!
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #912 on: October 01, 2014, 03:56:41 PM »
We finally have a United to trash on, eh?
IYKYK

Courage

« Reply #913 on: October 01, 2014, 03:58:45 PM »
Welbeck gets to score hat tricks in CL games while we get our captain suspended and have to barely hang on Ws against West Ham.  :tocry

Himu

« Reply #914 on: October 01, 2014, 03:59:26 PM »
courage how does it feel to have a captain who has been red carded?
IYKYK

Courage

« Reply #915 on: October 01, 2014, 04:13:18 PM »
Ambivalent. On one hand, it looks terrible for younger players and fans that probably look up to him. It also mars the legacy of the position in the team.  On the other hand, it's Wayne Rooney, a stupid, childish cunt.  :larry

Himu

« Reply #916 on: October 01, 2014, 04:19:49 PM »
Why isn't Van Persie the captain? Thoughts on that Courage?

Can you please go over the history of the captain position at United? I'd love hearing about it. Love some soccer history.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #917 on: October 01, 2014, 04:35:57 PM »
That transitional defensive play was fucking AWFUL
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #918 on: October 01, 2014, 04:40:15 PM »
are you watching EVERY CL match, Esch? Because Fox Sports 1 only shows two matches and it SUCKS.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #919 on: October 01, 2014, 04:42:54 PM »
OMFG. Atlitco and Juventus was on ESPN2?! :snoop

I hate the inconsistencies in watching soccer stateside. :snoop

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #920 on: October 01, 2014, 05:04:50 PM »
I'm going to watch all of todays matches via intertubes anyways. Fuck it. :yeshrug
IYKYK

Sausage

« Reply #921 on: October 01, 2014, 06:44:30 PM »
Sterling was hot garbage today.  Really the whole team was, but Heems needs some rest.  Balotelli is not working at all as a lone striker.

Courage

« Reply #922 on: October 01, 2014, 06:46:52 PM »

Can you please go over the history of the captain position at United? I'd love hearing about it. Love some soccer history.
Probably due to Rooney's history with the club. Believe it or not, a lot of stanleys still love the guy

As for the captain position, I have to admittedly say Rooney isn't the first cunt to be one. Two of our biggest captains were hilarious scumbags. Cantona kung fu kicked a supporter and Roy Keane was a douchebag during interviews. The difference is that both of these guys were iconic players with consistent performances, whether it be Keane's hypnotic passing or Cantona's knack for goalscoring. I don't know if Rooney will ever reach that level, as a goalscorer or a playmaker.

Himu

« Reply #923 on: October 01, 2014, 06:49:49 PM »
:lol I fucking love this sport. :lol

Thank God we are past the days of baggy long shirts and shorts. :kobeyuck
IYKYK

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #924 on: October 01, 2014, 07:03:33 PM »

you literally started watching two months ago

i rather win teh domestic title then fuck around in a mickey mouse competition like the champions league. im glad we can even say we're in the competition other than the rags who can't even be thursday ngiht channel 5 :lol
USA

Himu

« Reply #925 on: October 01, 2014, 07:07:35 PM »

you literally started watching two months ago

i rather win teh domestic title then fuck around in a mickey mouse competition like the champions league. im glad we can even say we're in the competition other than the rags who can't even be thursday ngiht channel 5 :lol

Yeah man, I've only been watching soccer for two months. TIL the time between summer 2010 and now is two months.

I was willing to let you slide because you usually make informative posts in this thread, but please don't make me call the wolves on you, Methodis.
IYKYK

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #926 on: October 01, 2014, 07:10:11 PM »
youre lucky youre not a rag or youd be crying in your bed sheets
USA

Himu

« Reply #927 on: October 01, 2014, 07:28:21 PM »
It's hard to see their chests and muscles though. And it's harder to see the shape of their butts in the baggy shorts. Disapprove.
IYKYK

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #928 on: October 01, 2014, 09:00:10 PM »

Probably due to Rooney's history with the club. Believe it or not, a lot of stanleys still love the guy

As for the captain position, I have to admittedly say Rooney isn't the first cunt to be one. Two of our biggest captains were hilarious scumbags. Cantona kung fu kicked a supporter and Roy Keane was a douchebag during interviews. The difference is that both of these guys were iconic players with consistent performances, whether it be Keane's hypnotic passing or Cantona's knack for goalscoring. I don't know if Rooney will ever reach that level, as a goalscorer or a playmaker.

plus he's vocally wanted out more than once, that's not how you make a bobby charlton legacy.

not that any united supporter should have any delusions of loyalty when it comes to the manchester red devils soccer franchise.

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #929 on: October 01, 2014, 09:07:04 PM »
If you're a minnow / mid-table mediocrity supporter you probably shouldn't count on loyalty either. Anyone good goes to greener pastures.

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #930 on: October 01, 2014, 09:10:35 PM »
If you're a minnow / mid-table mediocrity supporter you probably shouldn't count on loyalty either. Anyone good goes to greener pastures.

i wonder if schneiderlin is still crying himself to sleep hoping for that dream move to MK spurs.

Kara

« Reply #931 on: October 01, 2014, 09:21:50 PM »
Madrid?

Kara

« Reply #932 on: October 01, 2014, 09:29:59 PM »
I said minnow and mid-table, the former covers the other 18 teams in La Liga. :hitler

TBH I wouldn't even say Chelsea and City supporters can count on loyalty. Not everyone just wants to be overpaid, especially since City can't even make it out of group in Champions League.

DCharlieJP

• Icon
« Reply #933 on: October 01, 2014, 10:39:42 PM »
Regarding Rooney

His red card is possibly going to save United's season

Van Gaal is about to realise that Shrek , whilst covering a lot of ground and busting his arse every game, is causing disruption to his plans.

Now he's going to -have- to play a different set of players - and it might just be that the penny drops that they're better off having a Mata, Di Maria, Van P, etc leading the line and the upper mid than rooney.

:bow Eric Cantona :bow2
yeah, Cantona was incredible. And i loved the way he gave no sh1ts.

:bow Matt Le Tiss :bow2 as well. Still the most exciting player i've seen and someone if you met on the street you'd think "that lump? naa, he probably can't even kick a ball"
O=X

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #934 on: October 01, 2014, 11:02:22 PM »
Regarding Rooney

His red card is possibly going to save United's season

Van Gaal is about to realise that Shrek , whilst covering a lot of ground and busting his arse every game, is causing disruption to his plans.

Now he's going to -have- to play a different set of players - and it might just be that the penny drops that they're better off having a Mata, Di Maria, Van P, etc leading the line and the upper mid than rooney.

:bow Eric Cantona :bow2
yeah, Cantona was incredible. And i loved the way he gave no sh1ts.

:bow Matt Le Tiss :bow2 as well. Still the most exciting player i've seen and someone if you met on the street you'd think "that lump? naa, he probably can't even kick a ball"

to be fair, le tiss made a legend of himself despite never having to break out of his light florida pensioner jog.

DCharlieJP

• Icon
« Reply #935 on: October 01, 2014, 11:04:55 PM »
to be fair, le tiss made a legend of himself despite never having to break out of his light florida pensioner jog.

That's the genius of it - passing slugs make him look slow and he still managed to outfox defenses.

O=X

Courage

« Reply #936 on: October 02, 2014, 08:47:36 AM »
Sneijder asking Galatasaray fans to stop throwing fireworks

Galatasaray fans :pacspit

Countries like Greece and Turkey need to get their shit together and impose harsher regulations on teams for doing shit like this. It's extra embarrassing when it's during the CL and most of Europe has a clear view of your bullshit.

Courage

« Reply #937 on: October 02, 2014, 10:27:51 AM »
Oh shit that's awesome.

As for the USMNT, it looks like we need to beef up our forwards. Those guys are all CFs it looks like, no wingers in sight. I also know Zardes is pretty good so maybe we don't have to rely on Altidore's inconsistent ass.

Courage

« Reply #938 on: October 02, 2014, 11:04:36 AM »
Interesting article. I hope it's not some kind of stat inflation like they're claiming. I'd be happy to have someone like him as a reliable poacher if he keeps up with his expected goals.

I also had no idea Galaxy wanted to get Pirlo. I guess Donovan is retiring?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 11:27:06 AM by Courage »

Courage

« Reply #939 on: October 02, 2014, 11:39:51 AM »
I wonder if he's still gonna be involved with LA Galaxy and move up as a technical director or something. Or maybe pick up the  "talk about soccer uncomfortably" gig full time.

Himu

« Reply #941 on: October 02, 2014, 12:46:25 PM »
All this shit I hear over the women's World Cup and its conditions.

http://m.bbc.com/sport/football/29453614

There's going to be qualifiers this month. Looking forward to it. :pacspit Japan
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 12:56:56 PM by Queen of Ice »
IYKYK

Am_I_Anonymous

• And I'm pretty sure fuck you (italics implied)
« Reply #942 on: October 02, 2014, 12:58:25 PM »
All this shit I hear over the women's World Cup and its conditions.

http://m.bbc.com/sport/football/29453614

There's going to be qualifiers this month. Looking forward to it. :pacspit Japan

I have nothing but respect for my sisters who play the game but they are about as hard to watch as CSPAN. No offense.
YMMV

Himu

IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #944 on: October 02, 2014, 01:25:54 PM »
Going to the final Dynamo home game of season: the Fan Appreciation Night. Haven't been since...2012 or so? Spending 120 bucks on sideline tickets for the whole family. That's quite a ticket price increase for three tickets, but fan appreciation night is always popular. It'll be against the Revolution so we're likely losing, but that won't stop us from partying and we've got a chance at winning.
IYKYK

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #945 on: October 02, 2014, 01:28:21 PM »
Going to the final Dynamo home game of season: the Fan Appreciation Night. Haven't been since...2012 or so? Spending 120 bucks on sideline tickets for the whole family. That's quite a ticket price increase for three tickets, but fan appreciation night is always popular. It'll be against the Revolution so we're likely losing, but that won't stop us from partying.

That's actually pretty fair pricing. I paid more than that to watch an arena football game this year, for 2 tickets.
YMMV

Himu

« Reply #946 on: October 02, 2014, 01:36:43 PM »
I just remember paying 28 bucks for a ticket once and having this seat, so I'm spoiled. Go to soccer games by yourself because no one watches with you irl, brehs. The fate of the american soccer fan. :stahp

IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #947 on: October 02, 2014, 02:10:42 PM »
When was the last time anyone in this thread bought an Adidas product?

http://worldsoccertalk.com/2014/10/02/analyzing-adidas-steady-decline-in-north-america/
IYKYK

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #948 on: October 02, 2014, 02:17:44 PM »
When was the last time anyone in this thread bought an Adidas product?

http://worldsoccertalk.com/2014/10/02/analyzing-adidas-steady-decline-in-north-america/

Oh wow.....I bet it's been over 10 years if not longer. Last Adidas I remember buying were some running shoes when I was still young enough to wear mine out every year.
YMMV

Courage

« Reply #949 on: October 02, 2014, 02:36:24 PM »
Thank the Queen for shitty defenses in the PL. It's goals galore every week.

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #950 on: October 02, 2014, 05:59:20 PM »
Everton drawing 1-1 with an aggressive Russian side in Europa. Probably United have a good chance against them this weekend. I might even get up early to watch that shit :ohhh

Lots of injuries for the toffees too last time i checked. Might be Falcaos chance to get his first goal eh? :hitler

youre a smart man esch why are you putting any stock into a fucking europa league result. mickey mouse compeition for small clubs like ajax.

USA

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #951 on: October 02, 2014, 06:29:05 PM »
no i understand i just say don't think everton are a bad team for drawing with saltamalachia fc in the europa league
USA

Courage

« Reply #952 on: October 02, 2014, 06:39:02 PM »
Lmao at Europa league being a small fry competition when there's teams like Man U in it.

Himu

« Reply #953 on: October 02, 2014, 06:45:05 PM »
How the hell is the Europa small fry?

Clubs like Napoli in it? Napoli was 3rd in serie A last season.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #954 on: October 02, 2014, 06:50:09 PM »
I don't think Everton, Manchester United, or Krasnodar are bad teams at all. The later especially, people in the russian league seem to have high esteem for and in the game I was watching showed off some nice pressing.

I think United and Everton is probably the most exciting matchup this weekend truth be told. Some people would say gunners vs chelsea but its 'obvious' whats going to happen there. This match is a good barometer for how United's new personnel are really going to pan out against a big challenge, and see exactly where the two fall in ranks in the 4-6 spots in the PL

cause right now it looks like this in terms of team quality for me:

1. Chelsea
2. City
3. Arsenal

and then after that its a bunch of teams vying for dominance: lolerpool, spurs, everton, southampton, man u, swansea, west ham etc

I'm guessing Chelsea and Arsenal will draw.

I'm curious how United will perform without Rooney and see how Van Gaal switches the club around to fit his ideal.
IYKYK

Himu

Re: THE FOOTBALL/SOCCER THREAD
« Reply #955 on: October 02, 2014, 06:52:32 PM »
Until recently he was reasonable in this thread.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #956 on: October 02, 2014, 06:59:28 PM »
Anyways, someone talk me out of being an Arsenal fan. It seems Arsenal has the biggest American fanbase in the PL. Why? Esch, talk me out of it.
IYKYK

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #957 on: October 02, 2014, 07:04:30 PM »
The Europa league is a joke league, even DCharlie will tell you. No one takes it seriously and never will.  It's just another excuse for UEFA to make more money off of arabs.

Also United aren't in it, good job rag.
USA

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #958 on: October 02, 2014, 07:05:39 PM »
I don't think Everton, Manchester United, or Krasnodar are bad teams at all. The later especially, people in the russian league seem to have high esteem for and in the game I was watching showed off some nice pressing.

I think United and Everton is probably the most exciting matchup this weekend truth be told. Some people would say gunners vs chelsea but its 'obvious' whats going to happen there. This match is a good barometer for how United's new personnel are really going to pan out against a big challenge, and see exactly where the two fall in ranks in the 4-6 spots in the PL

cause right now it looks like this in terms of team quality for me:

1. Chelsea
2. City
3. Arsenal

and then after that its a bunch of teams vying for dominance: lolerpool, spurs, everton, southampton, man u, swansea, west ham etc

I'm guessing Chelsea and Arsenal will draw.

I'm curious how United will perform without Rooney and see how Van Gaal switches the club around to fit his ideal.

brave prediction that they'll draw. i mean, it could happen, but chelsea are set up in a way which will naturally exploit all of arsenal's built in vulnerabilities. a draw would be a big win for the gunners.

and it's a simple enough change for man u to drop mata in for rooney and to keep the same shape, not sure how well it's working though given recent evidence. fully confident that if we had noble and kouyate in the side last saturday, we'd have had a fairly easy time of it.

The Europa league is a joke league, even DCharlie will tell you. No one takes it seriously and never will.  It's just another excuse for UEFA to make more money off of arabs.

Also United aren't in it, good job rag.

europa is what you make of it. it's the european equivalent of "a decent cup run" and while some teams will send out whoever and use it for squad development (spuds) some will make everything they can of it, seeing it as their most likely route to the CL (everton).

you want a real joke tournament, look up the intertoto cup.

(our last piece of silverware)

Himu

« Reply #959 on: October 02, 2014, 07:08:56 PM »
DOH! I forgot about Arsenal's injuries.

IYKYK