Author Topic: Game of Thrones Season 8, we can finally stop waiting on GURM  (Read 112099 times)

Himu

IYKYK

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
Re: Game of Thrones Season 8, we can finally stop waiting on GURM
« Reply #1324 on: May 20, 2019, 12:20:31 AM »
this is the greatest fall of a television show I have ever witnessed, and that includes Dexter

Let's not get too hyperbolic here; Dexter's decline over 4 full seasons mostly inoculated me against this show's utter collapse.

Himu

« Reply #1325 on: May 20, 2019, 12:20:39 AM »
what motivation would the children of the forest have to do that after all they saw the white walkers do?
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1326 on: May 20, 2019, 12:31:52 AM »
The wheel will move forward, not backward; upward, not forward; and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!

IYKYK

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #1327 on: May 20, 2019, 12:38:14 AM »
So... is this the ending GRR had in mind or not? :thinking

I need to know before I bother to invest in this for a friend.

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #1328 on: May 20, 2019, 12:38:30 AM »
Grey Worm should have declared himself Comandante after Jon Snow kills Dany. Grey Worm arrests and executes Jon Snow after Sansa turns him over, both as a condition for peace and to get rid of a rival for the throne in the (now independent) north. Grey Worm and Sansa sign a non-aggression pact, which will be broken five years from now when one of them invades the Riverlands. Arya and Bran both exiled as she consolidates power. Dothraki establish a Khanate in the Vale. The Unsullied focus on Liberation in One Nation between the The Rock and King's Landing. Dany's dragon goes insane, roams Westeros destroying villages about eight times a year. Tyrion retires in Lys.
每天生气

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #1329 on: May 20, 2019, 12:40:45 AM »
let's smash the old wheel and replace it with a shiny new wheel!

let's make a new king and immediately show everyone you don't have to listen to anything he says!

lol dumbest shit ever. wish night king would have brought the boltons back to life for another go at sansa  :beetlejuice

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #1330 on: May 20, 2019, 12:41:41 AM »
Roose Bolton, miss u breh. :tocry

shosta

« Reply #1331 on: May 20, 2019, 12:43:33 AM »
Real question, how can Tyrion be Lord of Casterly Rock and Hand of the King simultaneously?
每天生气

agrajag

« Reply #1332 on: May 20, 2019, 12:47:17 AM »
Brehs, just take a moment to think about the fact that Bronn is now the Lord of Highgarden.

Bronn.

Lord.

Of.

Highgarden.

Kara

« Reply #1334 on: May 20, 2019, 12:52:17 AM »
king of queens stopped airing in 2007 but it still has a twitter account that posts about current events

what a world

Himu

« Reply #1335 on: May 20, 2019, 12:57:41 AM »
 Real talk I like the ending but don't like the way it got there. I like how it repeats from the beginning: Sansa ruling like Ned did, Arya is basically uncle Benjen - the cool traveler, Jon is Aegon Targaryen - the rightful heir to the throne exiled to the wall. Bran is the one thing breaking the chains of time. And ultimately, the family that was persecuted for so long, that had their land stolen, almost wiped out entirely came out the strongest in the kingdom, showing their wolf like resilience. So, I liked it. It was poorly rushed, but I like George's vision for the ending.

The problem is:

1. Bran was poorly developed
2. They needed at least one two to three more episodes to develop characters more.
IYKYK

agrajag

« Reply #1336 on: May 20, 2019, 12:58:12 AM »
Leah Remini is the real dragon queen, breakin the wheel of Scientology one spoke at a time

:salute

Himu

« Reply #1337 on: May 20, 2019, 01:04:03 AM »
Another criticism is that we don't see how the realm is doing. There's no time skip. In Lord of the Rings, we have a time skip. Sam has fathered multiple children and is considered a hero of the Shire. Time goes on and we get to see him developed a bit more. The ending would be a lot more satisfactory if we got like 20 minutes of ten years into the future or something. Oh well. Basically, I want more.
IYKYK

Kara

« Reply #1338 on: May 20, 2019, 01:06:45 AM »
I'm sure HBO will buy the rights to a squeakquel.

shosta

« Reply #1339 on: May 20, 2019, 01:07:03 AM »
the six kingdoms lost a member state and decided to abandon their monarchy and replace it with... a supernatural dalai lama that can SEE THE FUTURE. This is an upgrade how??

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]
每天生气

agrajag

« Reply #1340 on: May 20, 2019, 01:08:56 AM »
highgarden, riverrun and storm's end received massive downgrades. winterfell likely an upgrade

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #1341 on: May 20, 2019, 01:10:27 AM »

Himu

« Reply #1342 on: May 20, 2019, 01:12:18 AM »
Despite the rocky season I really enjoyed the last two episodes to great surprise. :obama
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1343 on: May 20, 2019, 01:16:31 AM »
last post of the night:

as a complete and utter Jon Snow fan thing, something I've been ever since reading A Clash of Kings, I'm really, really satisfied with my mans ending. He might be my favorite fantasy character so I loved seeing him.:uguu Kit did well with the material he received, which was mostly poor but still.
IYKYK

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #1344 on: May 20, 2019, 01:19:50 AM »
Meh

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #1346 on: May 20, 2019, 01:43:06 AM »
Real question, how can Tyrion be Lord of Casterly Rock and Hand of the King simultaneously?
this literally happened in the show before
vin

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #1347 on: May 20, 2019, 02:14:53 AM »
bran is like the dude who rides the bench all season and post season. then gets a ring, except somehow he also got voted mvp

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #1348 on: May 20, 2019, 02:18:48 AM »
even worse. it's like the mascot got a ring and was voted mvp because he majored in history

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #1349 on: May 20, 2019, 02:21:03 AM »
I liked the ending and I felt they explained Dany as bluntly as possible. She wasn't insane, she just knew how to justify her actions.

The Unsullied were the most ideologically devout of any faction and after losing their Dragon Goddess and liberator, they decide to start Liberia

I googled that while watching and apparently Naath is where Missandei is from, apparently they talked about going there after the war but no one could be expected to remember that line from a few episodes ago.

I'm wondering what the goal of the Unsullied is now, keep fighting slavers or live life? Obviously, the ending leaves a lot of room for the rumored GoT spin-offs.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #1350 on: May 20, 2019, 02:21:57 AM »
the real mvp was drogon, no wonder he abandoned his garbage ass team. he put the team on his back and this how they repay him  :kobeyuck

Tripon

« Reply #1351 on: May 20, 2019, 02:29:40 AM »
I liked the ending and I felt they explained Dany as bluntly as possible. She wasn't insane, she just knew how to justify her actions.

The Unsullied were the most ideologically devout of any faction and after losing their Dragon Goddess and liberator, they decide to start Liberia

I googled that while watching and apparently Naath is where Missandei is from, apparently they talked about going there after the war but no one could be expected to remember that line from a few episodes ago.

I'm wondering what the goal of the Unsullied is now, keep fighting slavers or live life? Obviously, the ending leaves a lot of room for the rumored GoT spin-offs.

They become revolutionaries, I'm guessing. Grey Worm also likes memes.

https://twitter.com/RaleighRitchie/status/1127731667085549569
https://twitter.com/RaleighRitchie/status/1127728149045940229

bluemax

« Reply #1352 on: May 20, 2019, 02:37:52 AM »
"Jon Snow, you are exiled to the Night's Watch"

"Nah fuck that fam, I'm a wildling now. Peace!"

They rebuilt King's Landing stupid fast. Also I have no idea who like a third of the people at Tyrion's trial were.

TFW none of the big mysteries that George RR Martin spent thousands of pages building up amount to a single important plot point.
NO

Kara

« Reply #1354 on: May 20, 2019, 02:41:38 AM »
In shows like this that aspire to be massively popular yet more than mere television there's an amusing disconnect that inevitably arises between audience and creator(s) which often gets resolved in contrived and / or heavy-handed moments. (The exemplar of this to me will always be Breaking Bad wherein Walter "maladjusted guys on the internet loved me despite significant evidence over multiple seasons" White had to explicitly state that he was a piece of shit at the end of the show.) Game of Thrones was no different with its debate between Jon and Tyrion at the beginning of the finale, though I appreciate that there was a talking head in this inescapable moment with a take on the situation beyond tHe MaD qUeEn StRiKeS aT lAsT #BioTruths.

More than anything the last 2 episodes make me loathe the first 2 of this season even more than I already did. What absolute tripe those were, and a waste of time and energy that could have been dedicated to fleshing out the interesting stuff the last 2 weeks--or, hell, even the Battle of Winterfell.

Regrettably Fat fucking Sam's last moment in this show wasn't being laughed out of die Königswahl but at least Bronn got to dunk on his fucking useless ass in his final scene. Fuck off, Sam. May I never have to suffer your fucking useless ass again.

Long live Grey Worm and his global people's war. #JDPON

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #1355 on: May 20, 2019, 02:46:16 AM »
"I imagined a mountain of swords too high to climb. So many fallen enemies you could only see the soles of Aegon's feet"   :whew

Enjoyed it

See y'all when Robert's Rebellion starts airing

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #1356 on: May 20, 2019, 02:58:02 AM »

Tripon

« Reply #1357 on: May 20, 2019, 03:03:41 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Believing that Martin is going to write 2 books before he's dead.  :mynicca

bluemax

« Reply #1358 on: May 20, 2019, 03:05:01 AM »
Let's pour one out for the following book plot lines/characters that we know will go nowhere:

Fake Aegon and John Connington
Penny the Dwarf
Victarion Greyjoy
Harry the Heir
Jeyne Poole
The Iron Bank
The Magic Horns
Warging
Aurane Waters (although I guess TV Show Euron was really this guy)
DARK STAR
Arianne Martell
NO

Bebpo

« Reply #1359 on: May 20, 2019, 03:05:02 AM »
Haven’t watched the show since s4 ended and they diverged, but followed the reactions and general plot points out of curiosity. The thing is to me GoT/SOIAF was always going to be a journey is the main dish not the ending. Even midway through the books you could tell for all the grey area complex character arcs and mysteries the ending was probably just gonna be generic fantasy tidy up.

That’s why I’m fine with the books never finishing and just want book 6 to come out. Because the enjoyment’s from the journey of the characters, the twists & turns along the way.

Also reading everyone’s reaction to this, man in another dimension where Sony didn’t fuck up The Dark Tower and made a successful GoT like series out of it, people would be so pissed with the ending in that one after the long journey.

Bebpo

« Reply #1360 on: May 20, 2019, 03:08:26 AM »
Let's pour one out for the following book plot lines/characters that we know will go nowhere:

Fake Aegon and John Connington
Penny the Dwarf
Victarion Greyjoy
Harry the Heir
Jeyne Poole
The Iron Bank
The Magic Horns
Warging
Aurane Waters (although I guess TV Show Euron was really this guy)
DARK STAR
Arianne Martell

Did the show ever do anything with flashback Prince Rhaegar? Considering his “mystery” seems to keep coming up in the books like it’s a big deal and he’s the key to everything. Was it just that he fathered Jon Snow or something?

You’re also missing Stoneheart on that list.

BisMarckie

« Reply #1361 on: May 20, 2019, 03:19:49 AM »

Long live Grey Worm and his global people's war. #JDPON (Image removed from quote.)

Since the world of GoT was built by a dude who read the wikipedia entry on the Holy Roman Empire once.Grey Worm and his band of virgins is just like the Archbishops in the Empire who tried to consolidate their power.
They will just die without heirs and just waste everybody's time. Celibacy is a bitch. :sabu

Kara

« Reply #1362 on: May 20, 2019, 03:23:53 AM »
It's clearly the Rzeczpospolita and Westeros is going to be wracked by functioning anarchy for centuries. :hmph

Meanwhile Grey Worm is going to do his best Taras Bulba impression. :hmph

BisMarckie

« Reply #1363 on: May 20, 2019, 03:27:28 AM »
Nie pozwalam :bolo

BisMarckie

« Reply #1366 on: May 20, 2019, 03:41:45 AM »
Westeros turning into an elective monarchy is just a disaster waiting to happen.
All it takes is one strong man to not recognize the imperial diet or some of the electorate going rogue.
Gendry, Anti-King of Westeros. :aah

Kara

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #1368 on: May 20, 2019, 04:38:52 AM »
My only true disappointment is that fat fuck and his dumb inbred wife weren’t horribly and brutally mutilated on screen.
Margs

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #1369 on: May 20, 2019, 04:39:25 AM »

:rejoice :PJSalt

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #1370 on: May 20, 2019, 05:11:46 AM »
 :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

What a shitshow. Literally.

You mean, like Tywin was? Several times? Or Jon Arryn?
The job of Hand (:teehee) doesn't supersede lordships.

TFW none of the big mysteries that George RR Martin spent thousands of pages building up amount to a single important plot point.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #1371 on: May 20, 2019, 06:49:39 AM »
Pretty poor ending, but not as bad as I expected.

Glad it's over. Hope he does a better job with the books...if they ever come out.
Spud

jorma

« Reply #1373 on: May 20, 2019, 09:02:20 AM »
Man that was a good 8 seasons, one of the all time greats for sure.

And the ending... it was a bit boring i guess but everyone who needed a resolution to their storyline got it afair.

I'm content.  :yeshrug

Svejk

« Reply #1374 on: May 20, 2019, 09:04:47 AM »
With that petition as high as it is, you think D&D will be let go of Star Wars?  :thinking

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #1375 on: May 20, 2019, 09:12:13 AM »
One can only hope

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #1376 on: May 20, 2019, 09:20:16 AM »
Seinfeld has a worse ending than this.
©ZH

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #1377 on: May 20, 2019, 10:26:45 AM »
So highly emotional, trigger happy Grey Worm entered the throne room, learned Dany is dead and Jon killed her..... and just arrested him???¿¿¿

And then he and the unsullied, who were deeply devoted to Dany and followed her across the world to fight for her vision.... just let the native Westerosi choose a king and fucked off and left?

???
zzzzz

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #1378 on: May 20, 2019, 10:43:36 AM »
Like, they spent the last two episodes clearly demonstrating that all enemies of the queen are to be summarily executed... and then someone KILLS their queen and he's all like "Woah Woah guys take this man to jail. we must observe due process!"
zzzzz

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #1379 on: May 20, 2019, 10:56:10 AM »
Seinfeld has a worse ending than this.
I’ll take your word for it. I have only watched the finale once, and over twenty years ago.

Sitcom. It didn’t retroactively make the show largely pointless and less enjoyable.