Author Topic: minor inconveniences that are not struggles  (Read 918058 times)

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
Re: minor inconviences that are not struggles
« Reply #3660 on: April 17, 2017, 01:58:44 PM »
Reposting on conservative media to destroy the wage gap myth! WAKE UP AMERICA

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #3661 on: April 17, 2017, 02:02:56 PM »
Honestly, I've worked in places that just post everyone's pay out there (mainly in public projects). I know people get uppity about it. But really I've seen less drama about pay in places where that happens then places where it doesn't.
que

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3662 on: April 17, 2017, 02:08:32 PM »
I honestly think that wages should all be public knowledge for everyone.  Gives so much more negotiating power to the people. 

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #3663 on: April 17, 2017, 02:09:54 PM »
Post-scarcity society when?
©@©™

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3664 on: April 17, 2017, 07:57:17 PM »
New job has the internet completely locked down. No more slacking off on GAF during downtime. But we at least have 1h for lunch, time to upgrade my data plan.

How massively locked down is it, it The IT guy can't get past it? (I'm assuming IT, sorry if wrong.)

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #3665 on: April 19, 2017, 08:49:13 PM »
Bar slag from the local dive bar I karaoke at added me on facebook and is tagging me in a bunch of photos -- so nerve wracking, dive bar times aren't fit for facebook audiences

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3666 on: April 19, 2017, 08:55:04 PM »
Bar slag from the local dive bar I karaoke at added me on facebook and is tagging me in a bunch of photos -- so nerve wracking, dive bar times aren't fit for facebook audiences

Privacy Settings: In the Privacy Settings page, scroll down to Timeline and Tagging
Timeline and Tagging: A dialog expands, click on the Review posts friends tag you section.
Review Tag: Click the drop-down menu to select Enable.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #3667 on: April 19, 2017, 09:14:49 PM »
Had to monitor a test today that lasted over 6 hours. No cellphones or other electronic devices allowed.  I got about 2/3rds of the way through Roger Zelazny's Lord of Light.
©@©™

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #3668 on: April 19, 2017, 09:16:02 PM »
Can i go like them all?

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #3669 on: April 19, 2017, 10:54:04 PM »
Can i go like them all?

Well, my birth mother I've never actually met just liked one, so why not, I guess?

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #3670 on: April 20, 2017, 07:51:03 AM »
Can i go like them all?

Well, my birth mother I've never actually met just liked one, so why not, I guess?
yay!

I've realized that certain unorganized coworkers can find out the status of their action items by trying to pin it on me.  "I'm waiting on mupepe for all these things" and then I go "wtf!" and look through all my emails and give the status of each item. I think they've started doing this as their way of finding out their to do's. Or they're just fucking idiots.  I'm not sure.  There's items on there that were completed last year. 

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3671 on: April 20, 2017, 09:37:43 PM »
I've realized that certain unorganized coworkers can find out the status of their action items by trying to pin it on me.  "I'm waiting on mupepe for all these things" and then I go "wtf!" and look through all my emails and give the status of each item. I think they've started doing this as their way of finding out their to do's. Or they're just fucking idiots.  I'm not sure.  There's items on there that were completed last year.
That's abusive.

Have you given them ETAs on those in-progress items?

What kind of ticketing system are you using to track tasks?

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #3672 on: April 21, 2017, 07:49:08 AM »
No ticketing systems for this particular work but I do give them ETA's and we have standard published turn around times on work items in my group that I am nowhere close to hitting.  Rarely are any of them actually waiting on me and if they have been it's been very recently submitted to me.  Like yesterday the list that was sent included things that were completed last year, things I have been asking about since last year, and things that were sent the day before.  Luckily I save tons of my emails and these guys copy their boss so I just send it all back but it is frustrating.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3673 on: April 21, 2017, 10:12:45 AM »
No ticketing systems for this particular work but I do give them ETA's and we have standard published turn around times on work items in my group that I am nowhere close to hitting.  Rarely are any of them actually waiting on me and if they have been it's been very recently submitted to me.  Like yesterday the list that was sent included things that were completed last year, things I have been asking about since last year, and things that were sent the day before.  Luckily I save tons of my emails and these guys copy their boss so I just send it all back but it is frustrating.

CCing their boss outta the gate is an amateur move, esp. if you have a history of covering your ass with your own email trail.

Right now I'm working with a client who starts new threads in mail out of the blue for ongoing topics, or mixers new topics in with all the topics despite there being an older thread. Maybe this is my version of being Ben Affleck in The Accountant,  but that shit drives me bonkers.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #3674 on: April 21, 2017, 11:30:00 AM »
I don't know what your group does Mupepe but I see two failures: the obvious failure of the coworkers not having a way to track the status of tasks and the failure of your management not having a way to track the status of tasks.  Then there is no more room for "ask Mupepe lol".
🍆🍆

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #3675 on: April 21, 2017, 11:47:14 AM »
CC their boss with stuff like "Hey here's an update. I'll get you x by y date. Otherwise I am not aware of anything you are waiting on me for."
que

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #3676 on: April 21, 2017, 01:12:04 PM »
Right now I'm working with a client who starts new threads in mail out of the blue for ongoing topics, or mixers new topics in with all the topics despite there being an older thread. Maybe this is my version of being Ben Affleck in The Accountant,  but that shit drives me bonkers.

As a rule, when I reply to emails that "split the chain" (by going off-topic) I delete all prior replies save the one immediately prior, redact that email to only cover the relevant topic, begin my reply with, "Regarding the item below you emailed about on [date]," and change the subject line of the email (while keeping RE:).

If you think that that's paranoid, during this tax season a colleague of mine replied to a message from a company's ownership that had split the chain but carbon copied the company's senior manager on the reply because the matter discussed fell under the manager's purview. Unfortunately my colleague forgot that earlier in the email chain ownership had thrown the senior manager under the bus and blamed company problems that are solely ownership's fault on the senior manager. The senior manager quit without notice via email over the weekend.

Trust other people brehs, especially yourselves. :ufup

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #3677 on: April 21, 2017, 02:07:13 PM »
I always see 88s on trucks in the first town from my house, always wonder if they're NASCAR fans or white supremacists.

Porquenolosdos.gif

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #3678 on: April 21, 2017, 02:12:26 PM »
If you think that that's paranoid, during this tax season a colleague of mine replied to a message from a company's ownership that had split the chain but carbon copied the company's senior manager on the reply because the matter discussed fell under the manager's purview. Unfortunately my colleague forgot that earlier in the email chain ownership had thrown the senior manager under the bus and blamed company problems that are solely ownership's fault on the senior manager. The senior manager quit without notice via email over the weekend.
Mh, nice. Good outcome for that guy.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #3679 on: April 22, 2017, 03:15:06 PM »
My boss' boss is on the verge of really fucking up.  I mean a colossal fuckup.  A fuckup to the point where if it goes through, I'm gone (as in I quit, not getting fired).  However I've psyched myself up that it's going to happen and I'm going to be disappointed if they don't fuck up.
🍆🍆

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #3680 on: April 22, 2017, 06:27:01 PM »

CCing their boss outta the gate is an amateur move, esp. if you have a history of covering your ass with your own email trail.

I hate this. I'll respond back with a new title and body when they do this for each individual topic they want to discuss.  I can't do that crap.
CC their boss with stuff like "Hey here's an update. I'll get you x by y date. Otherwise I am not aware of anything you are waiting on me for."
I think this is an easy way to sum it up.  I'll start using that, thank you.  For me, I use a big spreadsheet to track all my action items for this particular dealio so in this spreadsheet I have dates, an organized status and everything.  The worst thing is I send this out to most of these people every 2 weeks.  They're just lazy as fuck.

I don't know what your group does Mupepe but I see two failures: the obvious failure of the coworkers not having a way to track the status of tasks and the failure of your management not having a way to track the status of tasks.  Then there is no more room for "ask Mupepe lol".
See above, I can track the status and I do distribute it periodically but they're just lazy as fuck and unorganized on their end.  Unfortunately they're part of my organization but under another manager halfway across the world so all I can do is basically bitch and not much happens. fuck it

I'm not sure if I posted about it previously, but these are the same folks who once sent me an email asking about an honest opinion on one of their direct reports. I mentioned some issues we'd been having with his work and lack of communication. You'd think the etiquette here as a manager would be to take the feedback and address it with that person on a personal basis.  Nah, they forward my fucking my email balls out, but delete the part where they ASK FOR MY FEEDBACK and make it seem like I'm just bitching about a coworker out of nowhere and say "work with Mupepe to get this fixed." and then he forward it back to me and basically says "damn bro what gives? I thought we were cool"

FML

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #3681 on: April 23, 2017, 09:48:36 AM »
I made the mistake of going out on record store day yesterday. Hipsters, neckbeards and old hippies galore that seemingly had an aversion to showers packed into an insufficiently cooled hovel. A guy playing live music that was a decent musician but had vocals that made Bob Dylan sound like F. Mercury. The 20+ minute wait in line to pay so that the girl with the saggy tits could chuckle when she saw I was paying for two Michael Jackson LP's, not an obscure Mars Volta pressing. All struggles except that I'm now listening to Speed Demon in the comfort of my home for the 35423442nd time but now on a new format.

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #3682 on: April 23, 2017, 05:03:31 PM »

I GOT SO MUCH SHIT I HAVE TO GET DONE BEFORE MONDAY AND I STILL HAVEN'T GOTTEN IT DONE.

AHHHHHHHH!!!!

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #3683 on: April 24, 2017, 01:43:50 PM »
Got it all done. I had to wake up at 3:30 am this morning, though.  :doge

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3684 on: April 24, 2017, 10:01:58 PM »
Allergy season is peaking. Allergy med usage is at peak to match.

My thought processes are nearly completely fucked.  :lol  :doge  :-\ :emoticon

If I had the time, I'd sit and watch a bunch of movies today. Instead, I received a mess of assets that I'd been waiting on to progress my project.

To top it off, the neighboring apartment is having work done with hammers all morning, and that didn't seem to be disrupting enough, so they switched to jackhammers.

I'm not making that up.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #3685 on: April 24, 2017, 11:06:52 PM »
It's been a very low grade dull headache for me for the past several days.  I don't take allergy medication because it has never worked for me.  Felt like I was throwing money away.
🍆🍆

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #3686 on: April 25, 2017, 02:33:38 AM »
So my department and engineering shares bathrooms. Which isn't a problem except engineers like to browse their phones forever while taking a dump. And they refuse to exit a stall until the bathroom is empty. Because engineers.

Now I'm doing a shit load of annual reports so I don't have time like that. I decide to walk the extra 50 yards to accounting and see how their bathroom etiquette is.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

It was a very empty bathroom.

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #3687 on: April 25, 2017, 02:43:41 AM »
Jetlag is a bitch

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3688 on: April 25, 2017, 04:30:42 AM »
So my department and engineering shares bathrooms. Which isn't a problem except engineers like to browse their phones forever while taking a dump. And they refuse to exit a stall until the bathroom is empty. Because engineers.

Now I'm doing a shit load of annual reports so I don't have time like that. I decide to walk the extra 50 yards to accounting and see how their bathroom etiquette is.

[close]

It was a very empty bathroom.

Way, WAY back in the day, I worked at a company which occupied the 5th and 6th floors of a building. Dev had the 6th floor, and reception, HR, sales, marketing, facilities, the largest conference room, and the main kitchen were on the 5th. Each floor had one men's room and one women's room. The women's room had two stalls, the men's had a single stall and a urinal.

The 5th floor had less people in general, and about an even split between men and women. The 6th floor had 80 employees, 6 of whom were women. In short, the men's room on 6 was just an olfactory nightmare where the remains of solace and dreams went to die. An hour after lunch was some Mad Max level stench dystopia.

I mentioned it to HR, who dithered for a bit and then decided to add an air freshener. The day I noticed the new "solution," I committed an email to the Everyone mail-list which marked me for life, for better or worse.

Apparently I was the first person to have done the math, and figured out that 74 males cannot share a single sit-down stall, and assume that regular environment control will have any effect on it. An air freshener trying to cover the smell with perfume simply results in the smell of perfumed dooky. Further, there was just one tiny fan trying its best to circulate out the air from there, air tainted by the bowels of over six dozen men of a relatively sedentary lifestyle. I recommended that the turbine from a decommissioned jet be suspended in an inverted orientation above the toilet, to provide greater airflow out and away from the stall. Alternately, possibly the women could see their way fit to use the 5th floor women's room, and let the 6th floor restrooms be more representationally distributed.

In the end, the 6th floor restroom was made unisex, though women tended to use their 5th floor option nearly exclusively after that.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #3689 on: April 25, 2017, 12:53:05 PM »
Had a client in philly that hired almost exclusively men in their IT department and moved everyone to 1 floor of a building.
There were 101 men and 12 women. There was one set of bathrooms. 101 men trying one bathroom.  The first day of the move one of the stalls stopped working.  And they only rented out one floor in the building so there were no other bathrooms to be able to use.

Never saw a west coast company have such a massive discrepancy between men and women, and certainly never saw one with such poor logistical forethought to facilities. Another reason west coast = best coast
que

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #3690 on: April 28, 2017, 09:40:02 PM »
Hrrmmm... I'm craving chicken tendies but my cheat day is not until tomorrow.  :shaq2

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #3691 on: May 05, 2017, 12:17:38 PM »
- Ask a subject matter "expert" at your job if there is standard reporting for item x, told no
- Spend 3 whole days finding parameters, tables and fields to pull data via a query
- Turn report in
- 3 days later random dude in an unrelated department mentions "oh yeah, you can get that in standard report X from the system"
- Contemplate suicide

at least my numbers matched the standard report
[close]
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 12:34:35 PM by Mupepe »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3692 on: May 05, 2017, 07:53:16 PM »
Check with 3rd party add-on developer about a problem we're having, I provide a non-fatal error which may be related.
He says he can tell from the error that we're not using the current version.
Update to current version; project now has fatal error.
Revert to immediately-prior-to-update backup.
**sigh**

Working alone at home – backup, for the non-loss, if not "for the win."
[close]

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3693 on: May 05, 2017, 08:23:56 PM »
went to pick up a bottle of scotch i found on the cheap, and saw another one on the cheap so had to get that one too.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3694 on: May 05, 2017, 10:46:25 PM »
both were good choices.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3695 on: May 06, 2017, 04:48:47 PM »
We went to the movies for a show starting right before noon.  We got there with just a few minutes before the show started, but this is a small theater and not many people were there.

One guy was ahead of us at the ticket counter, and naturally this became another fun experience.  The guy and the ticket counter dude were talking kind of low, but from what I could tell, the guy was trying to pay using a 20 and change, and didn't want any change back for whatever reason.  Ticket dude seemed to suck at math and couldn't seem to understand what the guy wanted, and this went on for a good five minutes.

Then the guy says "look, I have almost exact change here...but I'm one cent short.  Can you just spot me a penny?  I'll pay it back next time I come here."  The counter dude is not allowing him to do this, and the guy keeps saying stuff like "I don't think you understand me, kid.  I'm ONE PENNY SHORT.  It's not a big deal, right?  Apparently it was and that one cent was crucial to the sale.
:dead

Finally my wife reaches into her purse, taps the guy on the shoulder, and gives him a penny so we can all move the fuck on.
ど助平

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3696 on: May 07, 2017, 01:53:29 AM »
Spent TWO HOURS looking for the cause of why I couldn't apply vertex coloring to similar faces on a similar model, only to find that Maya's default lighting was just depicting it with some reflectivity by default, everything was already applied. :lol Live and learn.

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #3697 on: May 08, 2017, 05:42:20 AM »
Was wondering why my toe kinda hurt, so when I checked I found a 2-3 cm long hair that had pierced and made its way under the skin from the toe and a bit down the sole. I wonder how the hell that happened. I cut a hole at the end and dragged it out, it was morbidly satisfying.

Never underestimate Asian needle hair. :doge

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #3698 on: May 08, 2017, 11:04:04 AM »
Beard hair will do that too if you rest your chin on your head on your palm a lot. At least if you shave those parts. Trimming seems to blunt the tips more.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #3699 on: May 08, 2017, 12:08:24 PM »
My beard hair is hella sharp.
que

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #3700 on: May 08, 2017, 12:08:58 PM »
Huh. Well. My palms are soft, I guess?

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #3701 on: May 08, 2017, 02:06:06 PM »
Are you sure you don't just have hairy palms? Possibly from masturbating too much?
©@©™

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3702 on: May 09, 2017, 01:53:32 AM »
Been tanning at the gym for like 3 months. Spent about an hour reading outside today and got a sunburn on the top of my head  :shaq2
:lol

As a white dude who can get sunburned in 15 minutes, I hear your pain.

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #3703 on: May 09, 2017, 02:27:05 AM »
As someone as white as paper, I just don't go outside.

samfish

• Cereal mispeller
« Reply #3704 on: May 09, 2017, 01:30:35 PM »
I'm so white I'm practically translucent. So me and the sun don't get along. I also never learn my lesson and use sun block lotion, even after 35 years of turning redder than a baboon's ass after about 20 minutes in the sun.

My wife, on the other hand, never burns. She just tans like some sort of invincible little sun goddess or something.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #3705 on: May 09, 2017, 01:44:49 PM »
I want to fuck a pale borean.

I have a hank hill farmers tan from riding my motorcycle

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #3706 on: May 09, 2017, 02:07:40 PM »
I'm still peeling from a massive burn 10 days ago
dur

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #3707 on: May 09, 2017, 08:02:04 PM »
Looking forward to skin cancer in a decade or two from 7 summers of guarding.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3708 on: May 09, 2017, 11:18:44 PM »
Holy shit, Xcode takes forever to update.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #3709 on: May 10, 2017, 12:35:01 PM »
went out to dinner to celebrate gettinh license and my 2 year old had a total meltdown

have kids brehs

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #3710 on: May 12, 2017, 12:55:44 PM »
Had to have a stern talk with an employee and threaten his job yesterday.
Something along the lines of "I don't care if you make mistakes, I know no one is perfect and I'm pretty lenient. But if you start creating an contentious environment for my team I will kick your ass out. My team working together well is required for us to succeed, you being part of that team? Not so much."

I don't like doing that and of course I followed with the requisite "I'd like for you to be part of that team..." kind of talk. But I hate having those conversations, but it had to be done.
que

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #3711 on: May 12, 2017, 12:57:23 PM »
What did he do? Blane others for his mistakes?

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #3712 on: May 12, 2017, 01:09:29 PM »
Some guy wasn't supplying the answers he needed in time (which btw, he could have gotten himself) and instead of escalating to me he berated the guy in public and berated someone else as well.

He's a transfer to my team so he might have thought it was OK on his other team. I talked to his prior boss and she was like "Oh yeah, he does that. It's really annoying." So it seems I have to be the one to put the foot down and be like "nu-uh girlfriend!"
que

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #3713 on: May 12, 2017, 01:30:33 PM »
He's probably going to do it again if he feels he can get away with it. I wouldn't worry about it until then  at which point it wouldn't be very hard to decide what to do.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #3714 on: May 12, 2017, 02:09:53 PM »
He's probably going to do it again if he feels he can get away with it. I wouldn't worry about it until then  at which point it wouldn't be very hard to decide what to do.
Oh yeah, I've dealt with this stuff before. So I got the finger on the "fire" button already.
que

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3715 on: May 12, 2017, 06:10:32 PM »
Had to have a stern talk with an employee and threaten his job yesterday.
Something along the lines of "I don't care if you make mistakes, I know no one is perfect and I'm pretty lenient. But if you start creating an contentious environment for my team I will kick your ass out. My team working together well is required for us to succeed, you being part of that team? Not so much."

I don't like doing that and of course I followed with the requisite "I'd like for you to be part of that team..." kind of talk. But I hate having those conversations, but it had to be done.

My last job in the USA, one of the guys on the team was all about that. Sadly, he was the Creative Director. If his boss had your attitude, I think we might have actually shipped.  :-\

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3716 on: May 13, 2017, 12:15:57 PM »
So this morning, after taking a shit I look down cause Oprah, and go 'wtf are my insides falling apart? is this cancer?'.  Then I remember I ate half a watermelon last night. 

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #3717 on: May 13, 2017, 06:35:30 PM »
So this morning, after taking a shit I look down cause Oprah, and go 'wtf are my insides falling apart? is this cancer?'.  Then I remember I ate half a watermelon last night.
newsfeed?...pls?
que

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #3718 on: May 15, 2017, 05:13:09 AM »
Drove to work for the first time today. Normally its 40km. But I manage to get lost and drive 80km because I missed an exit and a few other things  :lol

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #3719 on: May 17, 2017, 02:17:17 AM »
a couple keys were sticking for reasons i couldn't discern and i noticed that it was unfortunately dirty across the board despite my best efforts so i put the keyboard in the old dishwasher to give it a refresh and because i've always wanted to do it :doge

using one of these garbage keyboards that now come with dell computers i pilfered from somewhere and good god it's like typing on my crappy laptop without my wrists goofing up the touch pad, no great tactile-feedback and all the keys are slightly out of position because they're bigger and spread out

worked fine in titanfall 2 tho 8)

the one i washed and am letting dry is a semi-old timey microsoft one i've had for ages, sooo good on the data entry and the typin...it has a PS/2 cord :heart