Author Topic: Hip Hop  (Read 723124 times)

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
Re: Hip Hop
« Reply #2460 on: November 08, 2014, 05:41:56 PM »
Is this another love the art, hate the artist situation?

shit is too mentally exhausting. :'(

Pretty much. She's ratchet on twitter but I can't deny her talent

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #2461 on: November 08, 2014, 06:25:00 PM »
She's too homophobic and misogynist for me to listen to, guess I'll be skipping this.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #2462 on: November 10, 2014, 04:53:42 AM »
Cashy is good. This tape has a couple dope cuts/
http://www.datpiff.com/Cashy-Priceless-mixtape.648524.html

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #2463 on: November 10, 2014, 05:53:54 AM »
and yeah, jesus christ I hate to admit it, but the Azealia Banks album is pretty great

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #2464 on: November 10, 2014, 03:38:45 PM »
Low End Theory is still amazing if you were wondering. :lenowned
Hi

Am_I_Anonymous

• And I'm pretty sure fuck you (italics implied)
« Reply #2465 on: November 10, 2014, 03:39:59 PM »
Girl at work just told me "Drake is better than any of your old guy rappers"

Biggie? Yes he soft
Pac? He fake
Guru? Who
Nas? Who oh that guy who writes musicals?

:dead
YMMV

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #2466 on: November 10, 2014, 03:43:31 PM »
Drake's cool if you don't have any balls and love mediocrity, I guess. He's not really good or bad, dude's just sort of there to me.
Hi

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #2467 on: November 10, 2014, 03:45:51 PM »
I just thought about this.....like 1/2 or more of the rappers I liked in my teens/20's are dead.

:tocry

Eazy? Aids
Biggie? Shot
Pac? Shot
Big L? Shot
Guru? Cancer
Nas? Career
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 03:50:20 PM by Am_I_Anonymous »
YMMV

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #2468 on: November 10, 2014, 03:48:26 PM »

Biggie? Yes he soft
Pac? He fake
Guru? Who

She's right.

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #2469 on: November 10, 2014, 03:49:39 PM »

Biggie? Yes he soft
Pac? He fake
Guru? Who

She's right.

:beli
:beli :beli :beli :beli
YMMV

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2471 on: November 10, 2014, 04:33:06 PM »
I never want to sound like a bitter old head dissing new shit but god damn...Drake is so fucking average. He doesn't do anything above average, outside of maybe hooks; he has some catchy hooks, I can't front. But everything else is so pedestrian....yet he's THE rap guy of this generation. The quality level has fallen so low, he's better than most mainstream dudes so people truly believe he's one of the greatest ever.
:fbm

When I became serious about hip hop the best (living) MCs were guys like Nas, Raekwon, Prodigy, etc. On a larger level you can boil it down to Biggie, Pac, Nas, and Hov. They're pretty much the hip hop Mount Rushmore for people of the 94-2004 decade, whether you like them or not. But all those dudes have or had bars. They were dope rappers. They have classic songs and classic albums. SMH @ this generation.

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #2472 on: November 10, 2014, 04:43:11 PM »
I never want to sound like a bitter old head dissing new shit but god damn...Drake is so fucking average. He doesn't do anything above average, outside of maybe hooks; he has some catchy hooks, I can't front. But everything else is so pedestrian....yet he's THE rap guy of this generation. The quality level has fallen so low, he's better than most mainstream dudes so people truly believe he's one of the greatest ever.

When I became serious about hip hop the best (living) MCs were guys like Nas, Raekwon, Prodigy, etc. On a larger level you can boil it down to Biggie, Pac, Nas, and Hov. They're pretty much the hip hop Mount Rushmore for people of the 94-2004 decade, whether you like them or not. But all those dudes have or had bars. They were dope rappers. They have classic songs and classic albums. SMH @ this generation.
10-14 >>>> 05-09

plus, who gaf about not getting quality music from AAA acts as long as we get it from somewhere else?

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #2473 on: November 10, 2014, 05:17:37 PM »

*cough cough* all this fucking dust *cough*

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #2474 on: November 10, 2014, 05:33:33 PM »
I get why women like him, but Drake offers nothing for dudes at all.

Everything about this nicca is unremarkable but hey, he's got the right backing so whatever.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2475 on: November 10, 2014, 05:47:19 PM »

10-14 >>>> 05-09

plus, who gaf about not getting quality music from AAA acts as long as we get it from somewhere else?

I agree 100%.

My point about Drake is that the big AAA artists used to be dope. Not many people were hating on LL in the 80s, even when he was mainstream to the max. In the 90s sure, some underground dudes hated on Biggie but you can't deny Ready To Die. It was easier to hate on Hov and Nas' later 90s albums but even they got props. I'll admit Pac got a lot of hate though, but most give him props unless you're a dick riding taco who loves the attention (Questlove).

The "top" could rap. Even go further into the 90s with DMX. 00s had Eminem, Jay dropped Blueprint, Nas dropped Stillmatic.

Mid aughts? Wayne...I know dudes love them mixtapes but I still think he has always been wack.

Now? Drake. That's a huge fucking drop off, even though I think he's superior to Wayne. It's like dominating the special Olympics.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #2476 on: November 10, 2014, 06:04:15 PM »
There's also a smaller volume of really big acts in music in general. It takes a lot to prop up a pop star, and rappers in general have a more limited range of appeal, so labels aren't gonna invest as much in them.
And Drake better than Wayne? Whaaaaaaaaaaaat? You just described Drake as the most average rap dude alive, and I agree. He's the definition of safe. Everything he does is milquetoast. At his worst, Wayne makes infinitely more interesting music than Drake ever has.

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #2477 on: November 10, 2014, 06:12:36 PM »
the biggest part of this issue is that, with the rise of mixtape and piracy culture, AAA acts can't generate money and labels won't invest money like they used to be able to 15 years ago. What's weird is that rap/hip-hop has never been more dominant relative to the rest of pop culture and top 40 shit while the industry itself is as anemic as it's ever been (at the top) since its inception. I think this is a stabilizing period we're seeing; another factor being that with the Internet's hegemony over music consumption, independent acts are gaining more and more agency, further blurring the line between what's been conventionally considered "mainstream" and "underground".

Point being: our metrics for determining what a AAA act is have shifted considerably. In all likelihood, they will continue to do so. Jay, Nas, etc. came up at a time when rap was not at the forefront of pop culture (although still certainly relevant, at least for those late 90s guys anyway), and your literal ability to rap determined your career's commercial solvency. In the day and age where "pop" and "hip-hop" are used loosely and interchangeably, and where radio play and your pop cultural image are premiums to sustaining relevancy, other priorities arise that determine whom gets put on. Consequently, the saturation of media through the Internet has enabled alternative routes to financial success.

I don't think the game's changed all that much, but I do think it's gotten a little more (less?) fierce.

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #2478 on: November 10, 2014, 06:30:31 PM »
The rise and fall of Lil Wayne

Once upon a time, if you said he was the best rapper alive, niccas would clown you half to death. Then he got Gillie to ghostwrite stepped his rhymes up, appeared literally everywhere and had people believing it. A milli cups of codeine and some jail stints later, he's just getting by on name alone, if people even bother to bring it up.

Crazy shit.

thabiz

« Reply #2479 on: November 10, 2014, 06:39:44 PM »
stay dusty PD.  stay dusty.  the heads know.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2480 on: November 10, 2014, 06:54:42 PM »
You're right that Nas, Hov, etc came up in an era when access to studio time was so expensive and restricted that you had to be better than average to get a good shot. I remember Large Professor saying that he would bring Nas to the studio back when he'd produce for Eric B & Rakim. At the time Nas was nobody, and when he'd try to speak with Rakim he got straight up dissed/ignored. There was definitely a hierarchy at the time, whereas now anyone can get an iMac or find someone at school who has one, download some beats off soundcloud, and record a song. This leads to a very diverse group of people making music, but also a lot of wack shit.

Which brings me to something that's missing today: the A&R. There was a time when every label had someone going to clubs, going to corners, going to high schools, etc...scouting talent, aggressively. Whereas today labels are quite reactive: some dude gets x amount of hits on soundcloud, or gets x amount of youtube videos, and a label calls. Someone gets a big internet hit song and a label wants to sign you. Very little actual relationships are made, research isn't being done, etc. So we get guys like Bobby Shmurda, who literally releases one official song and gets a deal. Epic will eat off Hot nicca digital sales, delay his album to oblivion, it'll sell 4k first week, then a year later he'll be dropped after a subpar tour (during which they'll get a % of his booking money). It's nothing more than a machine churning out meat for rather subpar profit margins.

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #2481 on: November 10, 2014, 06:57:14 PM »
I dunno. Let rappers tell it, the A&R wasn't all they were cracked up to be.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2482 on: November 10, 2014, 07:04:11 PM »

Well yea, rappers tend to be quite arrogant. There were A&Rs begging Russell Simmons to sign Nas. Diddy got fired shortly after telling Uptown that they'd be distinguished mentally-challenged if they didn't sign Biggie. Steve Rifkin spent months trying to track down RZA because he didn't have a phone or address. Those dudes put work in, especially when they knew they were right.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #2483 on: November 10, 2014, 07:35:02 PM »
Not just rappers. One of the most widely derided label positions by musicians of all genres.

thabiz

« Reply #2484 on: November 10, 2014, 07:55:01 PM »

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #2485 on: November 10, 2014, 10:43:08 PM »
PD blowing so much truth into this thread you'd think he was a trombone...young kids...your shit is bad. Get over it.

http://m.
YMMV

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #2486 on: November 10, 2014, 11:04:11 PM »

This is where you pull out the "some obscure band" T-shirt, right? lol

spoiler (click to show/hide)
props
[close]
YMMV

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #2487 on: November 10, 2014, 11:44:39 PM »
Bronze Nazareth is a quality B-level Wu producer  :ufup
Ok C-level but he's still nice
[close]

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2488 on: November 11, 2014, 12:24:04 AM »
One thing mainstream rap does well: melody. Drake and dudes like that have a good understand of how to make catchy shit. The problem is that there's nothing else to the music. No message outside of party, drugs, sex.

I'm still stunned that we had Ferguson and the Wal Mart shooting and not a single major rapper has said shit on record outside of Cole. I heard Young Thug say he doesn't care about social issues and only wants to make party music. I heard Travis Scott essentially say Michael Brown brought his own death upon himself. These dudes are fucking coons. I don't expect a balance between party music and social sht, I know party music will always reign. But my god, dudes can't make singles about non party n bullshit anymore?

I know this is a dusty post but Jesus.

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #2489 on: November 11, 2014, 12:38:27 AM »
there was this

but other than this and the Cole joint... :goty2

thabiz

« Reply #2490 on: November 11, 2014, 07:27:59 AM »

This is where you pull out the "some obscure band" T-shirt, right? lol

props
[close]

noted.

Cheddahz

« Reply #2491 on: November 11, 2014, 11:13:50 AM »
One thing mainstream rap does well: melody. Drake and dudes like that have a good understand of how to make catchy shit. The problem is that there's nothing else to the music. No message outside of party, drugs, sex.

I'm still stunned that we had Ferguson and the Wal Mart shooting and not a single major rapper has said shit on record outside of Cole. I heard Young Thug say he doesn't care about social issues and only wants to make party music. I heard Travis Scott essentially say Michael Brown brought his own death upon himself. These dudes are fucking coons. I don't expect a balance between party music and social sht, I know party music will always reign. But my god, dudes can't make singles about non party n bullshit anymore?

I know this is a dusty post but Jesus.
The fact that Cole actually went out to Ferguson and helped out made me respect the dude more (still not a fan of his music)

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2492 on: November 11, 2014, 11:36:28 AM »

Tony Starks returns to Staten Island after 9 years, like a man returning home from a war. He wants the company of old friends, to reunite with his girl, to live a quiet life.

But New York has other plans for him…

Pitchfork Media has said “Ghostface has unparalleled storytelling instincts. He might be the best, most colorful storyteller rap has ever seen”. Q Magazine called him “rap’s finest storyteller”. On his new release 36 Seasons those powers have never been more in-focus, as he takes his listeners on a gut-wrenching journey of double-cross and revenge through the rough and rugged housing projects of New York’s Staten Island.

On 36 Seasons Ghostface once again delivers exactly what the hardcore Wu-fans crave: desperate tales from the dark side over soulful boom-bap tracks. The soundscape is provided The Revelations [Brooklyn’s acclaimed soul band/production team]. Their hard-hitting tracks match the intensity of Ghost’s violent narrative. His co-stars on 36 Seasons are legendary lyricists and storytellers in their own right, 3 of the greatest of all-time: AZ, Kool G Rap and Pharoahe Monch. The album also features vocal contributions from Blue Note Records’ rising star Kandace Springs and gritty soul singers Rell and Tre Williams.

To visually flesh out the album’s dark and twisted world, the CD's packaging includes 20 pages of striking images from a host of stellar comic artists, curated by the team that created Ghostface’s 2013 six-issue comic mini-series, 12 Reasons to Die. Available from 12.12.2014
http://www.grooveattack.com/2014/11/05/ghostface-killah-36-seasons/

FUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #2493 on: November 11, 2014, 12:21:52 PM »

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2494 on: November 11, 2014, 01:32:38 PM »
https://soundcloud.com/tommy-boy-1/lovedontliveherenomore

:jawalrus

beat is better than nearly everything on 12 Reasons To Die (Younge version)

thabiz

« Reply #2495 on: November 11, 2014, 02:36:56 PM »

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #2496 on: November 11, 2014, 02:40:59 PM »
YMMV

Am_I_Anonymous

YMMV

thabiz

Am_I_Anonymous

YMMV

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #2502 on: November 11, 2014, 03:47:53 PM »
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=138398644&postcount=18427

:snoop

Somebody tell this dude RZA only had 4 beats on that album

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=138411253&postcount=18442

Isn't this dude at the helm of Gafhop?  :mindblown Good grief
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 03:59:08 PM by Mr. Nobody »

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #2503 on: November 11, 2014, 06:16:04 PM »
ok  :fbm

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #2504 on: November 11, 2014, 07:23:47 PM »
Is the shocking thing there that people don't give a fuck about SC2? Because I'm one of the biggest ghostface fans alive and I'm firmly in the same camp

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #2505 on: November 11, 2014, 08:30:15 PM »
Sequel albums aren't a good look because they usually come nowhere close to the first, or are unfairly judged if they're solid attempts.

Cuban Linx 2 is a great album, but it's not as good as the first and that's all people really care about. Meanwhile War Report 2 was....whatever.

You're better off just making a new project entirely.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #2506 on: November 11, 2014, 08:48:54 PM »
The problem is naming/titling it as a sequel gives it a press boost. It increases it's profile.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2507 on: November 11, 2014, 09:28:35 PM »
SC2? A sequel to a classic, monumental project that doesn't live up to its legacy, and leaves a bitter taste in one's mouth despite being decent? Are we talking about Supreme Cliente 2 or StarCraft 2?

Ghost is in a different space now. He's not doing drugs and doesn't have Lord Superb shouting out dope lyric suggestions anymore. Worse yet I question his ability to get the production needed. He said he's currently trying to clear various samples for the album, all while paying lawyers to fight a losing case with respect to the Iron Man samples on SC1. By the time he takes that L financially he'll be pissed at RZA, blaming him for not clearing the Iron Man samples, and unable to clear the samples for SC2. So what we'll get is either a wack album of throwaway beats or a live band version of the album. Either way it won't match the original, or even Cuban Linx 2.

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #2508 on: November 11, 2014, 09:37:57 PM »
SC2? A sequel to a classic, monumental project that doesn't live up to its legacy, and leaves a bitter taste in one's mouth despite being decent? Are we talking about Supreme Cliente 2 or StarCraft 2?
(Image removed from quote.)

Ghost is in a different space now. He's not doing drugs and doesn't have Lord Superb shouting out dope lyric suggestions anymore. Worse yet I question his ability to get the production needed. He said he's currently trying to clear various samples for the album, all while paying lawyers to fight a losing case with respect to the Iron Man samples on SC1. By the time he takes that L financially he'll be pissed at RZA, blaming him for not clearing the Iron Man samples, and unable to clear the samples for SC2. So what we'll get is either a wack album of throwaway beats or a live band version of the album. Either way it won't match the original, or even Cuban Linx 2.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #2509 on: November 11, 2014, 09:42:32 PM »
Sadly, that's probably 100% accurate. OB4CL2 was way better than I (or anyone) expected it to be, but it's aged pretty poorly and ultimately is as forgettable as anything Wu-related in the last decade or so. Fishscale was the last thing Wu related that really kept my interest for a sustained period of time.

I really don't understand just not showing up to the Iron Man theme lawsuit. Maybe they're just more willing to pull the track entirely than negotiate royalties?

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #2510 on: November 11, 2014, 09:51:46 PM »

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2511 on: November 11, 2014, 09:54:35 PM »
I go back to CL2 once a year and it always surprises me how good it is.

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #2512 on: November 11, 2014, 10:11:57 PM »

:lawd

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #2513 on: November 11, 2014, 10:24:00 PM »
Decent album, Grandmasters was better :hitler

Grandmasters is top 2 GZA record and easily top 3 Wu Record from the 00s.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2514 on: November 11, 2014, 10:27:10 PM »
My favorite SC memory is arguing with a rap nerd friend of mine of a line in Nutmeg

Tracey got shot in the face
My house was over crowded

We spent years arguing over whether Tracey was shot in the face BECAUSE Ghost's house was over crowded (my friend's argument), or whether it was just a random observation (my argument).

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #2515 on: November 11, 2014, 10:27:38 PM »
Endlessly funny to me how west coat dudes like Muggs, ALC and even some underground dudes can produce Wu-esque shit in their sleep yet WU keep gassing and paying for garbage beats from lame east coast dudes who don't do anything but lame throwaway Wu records.

Bless y'all with some rare jewels:

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #2516 on: November 11, 2014, 10:31:36 PM »
Psh, if they're lucky they can get lazy East Coast dudes. Isn't that bork Cilvarings doing a whole fucking album for them?  :holeup

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #2517 on: November 11, 2014, 10:33:55 PM »
Psh, if they're lucky they can get lazy East Coast dudes. Isn't that bork Cilvarings doing a whole fucking album for them?  :holeup

His album "I" was pretty decent last time I heard it.

Not a bad dude even though his affiliation with the Wu is one of the biggest acts of stannery ever

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #2518 on: November 11, 2014, 10:40:48 PM »
Since we're on the subject of Wu, did yall peep Killah Priest's double album from last year?

Great fucking album for a double disc. Surprisingly little filler

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #2519 on: November 11, 2014, 10:55:51 PM »
Since we're on the subject of Wu, did yall peep Killah Priest's double album from last year?

Great fucking album for a double disc. Surprisingly little filler

never got around to it but meant to. Still think Killah Priest drop the best Wu-Affiliate album with "The Offering" though. Love that album front to back.