Author Topic: Hip Hop  (Read 723036 times)

sarslip

Re: Hip Hop
« Reply #3300 on: May 19, 2015, 01:00:59 PM »

:dead

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #3301 on: May 19, 2015, 01:46:39 PM »
 :lol

Tidal is wack, was marketed terribly and might not recover but come on. It's been two months homie, can we give him a minute to breath before catching feelings that he hasn't taken an L yet? The only L I'll give Jay right now is him trying to be slick about the sub numbers. You can't lie while telling us it's #factsonly breh, fuckouttahere.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #3302 on: May 19, 2015, 02:10:22 PM »
Jay's always been laughably insecure about this kinda stuff. His last twitter rant was about how unfair it was that Billboard wasn't counting the Samsung deal towards MCHG because 'things have changed'.

I think he's not willing to admit the L because as PD said it's been like two months. He genuinely probably doesn't even see it as a failure yet, and he's probably too out of touch to figure out that this is a garbage service. Like the video said, he seems content to blame the consumer for not showing him in cash and adulation for blessing the world with another streaming service

sarslip

« Reply #3303 on: May 19, 2015, 04:37:26 PM »
this was the guy who sold Occupy Wall Street shirts, and then failed to see why that was ironic

i think that video is ridiculous, but jay-z does come off a little miffed in this scenario

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3304 on: May 19, 2015, 04:43:30 PM »
To be fair I'd imagine it's hard for a former hustler to shake off the innate inclination to sell t-shirts. Just look at Dame Dash. It reminds me of my granddad, who was a former sharecropper/farmer and lived through the Great Depression. Every time I talked to him he'd tell me going to school is good, but I should really learn how to be a farmer because you never know when you'll need to create your own food/avoid mass starvation.
 :brazilcry

I can just imagine investors proposing the Tidal purchase to Hov and him saying "that's fascinating. We could even have some t-shirts that say Tidal on them, nahmean."

dkdk

« Reply #3305 on: May 19, 2015, 10:10:37 PM »
if the shirt was fly (and free) i'd rock it. hook me up Hov.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3306 on: May 21, 2015, 02:10:47 PM »
Interesting point imo about Jay and Nas
http://www.thecoli.com/posts/13495844/

concerning the song Hollywood from KC.
Another interesting thing to me is...the fact that HHID and this album didn't drop that far apart from each other, you go and listen to a song like "blunt ashes" from that album and then listen to this and you get a good glimpse of how Jay and Nas would take the same song topic/outline in completely two different directions...the ills of fame...one nikka sits in solitude with an erie backdrop almost telling ghost stories and the other is spitting from you from in front of the camera.

I need to listen to it again but honestly I liked KC more than a lot of folks do. It's generally viewed as a bad album...but it has too many interesting tracks to be thrown in the bushes.

I still remember that night when the title track first came out and dudes were tripping over the sample flip. The actual rapping was whatever but that beat :whoo

Come to think of it, that was perhaps the last project that Jay worked heavy with Just Blaze on; yea they did a couple tracks on AG but overall that seemed inevitable given the theme/direction of that album. Kind of makes me wonder whether the failure that is attached to KC is part of the reason why Hov hasn't seemed serious about getting in the studio with Just Blaze. To the contrary BP3 was full of Kanye shit and was a huge success (albeit a horrible album).

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3307 on: May 21, 2015, 02:20:47 PM »
I suppose on a stan level it's interesting that he failed when he tried to release an album with depth but nah, KC isn't bad so I won't hate.

But clearly the failure of KC is the reason we got European Hov/BP3/WTT/MCHG.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #3308 on: May 21, 2015, 02:25:54 PM »
What emotional stuff? Lost Ones? KC is tied for worst Jay album in my opinion, not because it's the worst music he's ever released (it isn't) but because it's the most flat, uninspired, boring shit he's released besides MCHG to date. BP2/3 have some incredibly bad songs on their, but generally speaking that's a result of trying an interesting idea that winds up falling flat (BP2 much much moreso than 3) and I'll take that over the sterile calculations of KC and MCGH.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3309 on: May 21, 2015, 02:31:59 PM »
What's calculated about KC, outside of that ridiculous song about 30 being the new 20? I took the album as Hov trying to be introspective, mixed in with an effective diss track and some other stuff.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #3310 on: May 21, 2015, 02:48:50 PM »
What's calculated about KC, outside of that ridiculous song about 30 being the new 20? I took the album as Hov trying to be introspective, mixed in with an effective diss track and some other stuff.

TBH I haven't heard it recently enough to be too specific. The lead single came across as a paint-by-numbers "this is what people want" appeal to the masses. It also marked the start of Hov albums being tied into cornball marketing schemes, which has admittedly colored my perceptions of how invested in his music he's been ever since.

Also there's also no excuse to put Chris Martin on your album, Jay. I know you're friends, but please let me keep my illusions that you aren't a total milquetoast borefest oldguy.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #3311 on: May 21, 2015, 02:50:45 PM »
And let us all be glad that EuroJay reigned it in before letting this make an album

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3312 on: May 21, 2015, 03:05:58 PM »
I sensed Euro Jay more on KC than BP2. Dude was wearing flip flops and everything, hence why Camron came at him (and promptly got annihilated). Whereas BP2 was sort of like that part of an argument with your girl where she starts talking shit about your mom. At that point the emotion is clear and you know she lost...but she's still playing the game and thinks she can win.

Speaking as a Nas stan though it's hard to deny that period was a giant mixed opportunity for Nas. I don't think Nas is capable of being as big as Jay commercially or making the type of songs Jay makes, however I feel like Nas had a chance to further solidify his legacy and failed. He won the battle, and then what? The buzz for Nas' next album was big. Made You Look came out and had everyone excited; how a song that hard got into the 30s on the Billboard chart still amazes me. I seem to remember hearing Get Down not long afterwards as a leak; that too had dudes excited. I Can came out...wasn't fucked with it, but it was a top ten Billboard hit.

So dude had two hit songs, the streets were with him...then the album comes out. At best it's aite. The good tracks are really dope, but then you have Zone Out. What the fuck. And after that Street's Disciple. I haven't even listened to that shit in full. Both albums were commercially successful but giant missed opportunities. All he needed was some dope beats to drop a couple great projects while Hov dithered. But nah...

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3313 on: May 21, 2015, 03:39:23 PM »
I got no arguments against that. I tend to give Nas a mulligan for I Am: the original plan was interesting, and if it had come out as planned it would have been a very good double album. Instead we got half a good album. Ultimately Nastradamus is what led to Takeover IMO. Jay had to attack Nas, but if not for dropping that shitty album I don't see how Hov would have a good argument. Illmatic, IWW, and OG I Am would be a pretty damn good catalog going into 2000.

I Am and Nastradamus back to back :kobeyuck

It's similar to God's Son/SD, although obviously God's Son isn't nearly as bad as Nastradamus. Just in terms of being massive missed opportunities.

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #3314 on: May 21, 2015, 03:43:54 PM »
And let us all be glad that EuroJay reigned it in before letting this make an album

:oreilly <- made this exact face the first time I heard this

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3315 on: May 21, 2015, 05:09:16 PM »

Can you imagine Young Guru's face as he mixed this abortion?

Part of his soul must have died. Guru is an underground head lol.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #3316 on: May 21, 2015, 05:19:17 PM »
I did the same for kanye, as he ruined a great track by needlessly throwing CM on there, but even then I didn't get the same 'this screams crossover attempt' vibe from Homecoming as I did Beach Chair.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Ye did that way worse with Heard Em Say  :yuck
[close]

dkdk

« Reply #3317 on: May 21, 2015, 09:37:01 PM »
i like beach chair  :larry

ghetto techno tho. that's a bridge too far.

HiResDes

« Reply #3318 on: May 22, 2015, 06:36:20 PM »
Jay'z Beach Chair is probably the dopest song off of that awful album.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3319 on: May 22, 2015, 07:16:23 PM »

:lawd

Cheddahz

king of the internet

• 🚽
« Reply #3322 on: May 26, 2015, 04:29:26 PM »
Is twitter somehow removing links to leaks now? Was always my go to for new albums but now I'm getting zero results.  :-\

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #3323 on: May 26, 2015, 05:30:15 PM »
New Alchemist built off samples from records he bought in Israel  8)

http://hypetrak.com/2015/05/alchemist-israeli-salad-album-stream/

Cheddahz

« Reply #3324 on: May 26, 2015, 05:44:57 PM »
New Alchemist built off samples from records he bought in Israel  8)

http://hypetrak.com/2015/05/alchemist-israeli-salad-album-stream/
up on spotify, for those that want to listen

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #3325 on: May 26, 2015, 09:41:26 PM »
Israeli Salad brehs

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #3326 on: May 26, 2015, 10:38:05 PM »
Is this the first 'proper' alchemist instrumental album? I recognize one of the beats from the last thing he did with Prodigy, but the rest is new to me.

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #3327 on: May 26, 2015, 10:45:28 PM »
Is this the first 'proper' alchemist instrumental album? I recognize one of the beats from the last thing he did with Prodigy, but the rest is new to me.

Damn...I was gonna say he did the Good Book joint last year but even that had 2 vocal tracks.

The "Rappers Best Friend" series doesn't really count due to mainly being beats already used....and I think those releases from the early aughts fall in the same category.

It just might be. Only tracks that aren't new are The Type and Bold

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #3328 on: May 26, 2015, 10:51:23 PM »
Sidenote: listening to Young Zee's Musical Meltdown again now that it's finally seen the light of day on a proper CD release  :rejoice

90's Jersey at its finest: songs about absolutely nothing but damn if these dudes don't make it sound dope  :mynicca

Cheddahz

« Reply #3329 on: May 26, 2015, 11:24:45 PM »
Russian Roulette > Israeli Salad

miss the songs with rapping on them
[close]

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #3330 on: May 27, 2015, 12:31:47 AM »
I completely forgot that never got an actual release. I'd probably actually buy a copy if it weren't for that dumb video he put out where he bragged about selling weed and having an apartment or whatever.

Syph

« Reply #3331 on: May 27, 2015, 03:48:00 AM »
no matter what, Bronson gave me so much dope shit for free over the last few years that I'd be a jerkoff not to give him $10; he earned that shit.
I understand that sentiment
Same reasoning I applied to Live From the Underground
XO

sarslip

« Reply #3332 on: May 27, 2015, 10:28:46 AM »
Russian Roulette > Israeli Salad

miss the songs with rapping on them
[close]

Israeli Salad > Russian Roulette

Compared to Russian Roulette this album is much more free flowing, less ambitious -- with trying to make a grand statement with the 'audio collage' pretensions..

Israeli Salad is more like the collab with Budgie or his rapper best friend tracks, but taken up a notch, I like it a lot better.  Reminds me of the Oh No ethiopian jawn, which holds up real well

"The Alchemist was born Alan Maman in Beverly Hills, California. His father is of Israeli descent."

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3333 on: May 28, 2015, 12:15:08 PM »

:beli

I can't tell if he's telling the truth and missed a golden opportunity by being lazy, or he's lying and missed a golden opportunity by being a vicious hater. I love Ghost but everyone knows dude is an s-tier hater. Dude would hate on his own mom's Thanksgiving cooking, I can just imagine him trying to blow off Hov on some "eh I'll get you a verse. Dunno about that beat or your verse tho..." steez.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3334 on: May 28, 2015, 12:22:38 PM »
Ghost been salty about Hov for a minute. Even dissed him on Wu Tang Forever. But then again Ghost has been salty about just about everyone lol

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #3335 on: May 28, 2015, 12:26:06 PM »
Ghost been salty about Hov for a minute. Even dissed him on Wu Tang Forever. But then again Ghost has been salty about just about everyone lol

"Posin like he rap nominee..."

Please tell me there's a version with Ghosts entire verse on Cash Still Rules somehow someway

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3336 on: May 28, 2015, 12:38:32 PM »
classic thread  :lol

we gonna pretend like Hov wasn't right about Wayne :heh

Ghetto Techno>Wayne's Truffle Butter verse

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #3337 on: May 28, 2015, 12:46:22 PM »
Jay still celebrating the fact that he took Prodigy's soul  :pacspit

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3338 on: May 28, 2015, 01:07:05 PM »
I hate it had to be Billy Oceans defending P. Oceans is my nicca tho
:tocry

Yes, Prodigy being sick plays the biggest role in his voice/rap change. But at the end of the day that diss was potent as fuck and ruined his entire persona. The fact that he didn't have much of anything to say about it was the first strike. Then I heard Infamy and was like ok...it's over yall.

:yeshrug

How do you go from straight ethering Tupac on Drop A Gem On Em to this shit?

I will say this though: HNIC was dope, can't deny that. That was what, 2000? Outside of that P has been struggling yall.

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #3339 on: May 28, 2015, 01:17:50 PM »
post-crisis P still has a lot of good material to me but it'll NEVER be the same  :tocry

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3340 on: May 28, 2015, 02:08:01 PM »
You could argue Hov waited until his enemies were at their weakest points - P dealing with his health+Mobb's decline and Nas dealing with his mom being sick+gf being a whore+music decline; nothing wrong with that btw. Takeover pretty much ended P's career whether you want to give it all the credit or some. Meanwhile Takeover revived Nas and Hov took the L.

Nas is a fool for not squashing all non Hov related NY beef after that. He should have called up Prodigy, Cormega, Nore, etc and manned up. Instead he kept being an emotional introvert. Granted Destroy And Rebuild was a dope diss but still..should have gotten the crew together and formed a united front. The funny thing is that all those Queens dudes loved Nas and looked up to him, yet he kept trying to stunt on them for no reason. Nas stans try to act like Hov was the only emotional one but let's be real: Nas is probably just as emotional but managed to keep it all behind closed doors. This is the same faux militant nicca who planned to lynch an effigy of Hov at Summer Jam....
:kobeyuck

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3341 on: May 28, 2015, 03:37:20 PM »
Reminds me of that story about him bouncing on Carmen for a week. She eventually found him in some random apartment with sheets of paper w/lyrics written on them all over the floor and walls. That's my autistic GOAT yall

Dude seems legit antisocial, mixed with laziness IMO. On one hand he wants to be "that guy" yet on the other hand he has refused to put the work in required to be "that guy," and instead has disappeared or headed for the shadows on multiple occasions. Dude released IWW in part due to being jealous of Biggie's success, it was a big commercial hit...but then he stopped doing shows at one point and disappeared back to the block, broke. Then he dropped I Am which had various half assed pop rap songs that he didn't shoot videos for or push. It was a very successful album but a major example of him doing wack pop stuff and not really taking it seriously.

Same thing with producers, as you said. Dudes worship this dude, and that's no exaggeration. Yet he blew folks off or didn't really fuck with them. And the funny thing is that these dudes STILL love him and want to work.

I'd bet money Nas won't release that record lmao, and it'll end up on a Jay album. Nas said he had a lot of great vibes with Timbo but took a break to focus on the Illmatic tour. That's such a Nas move lol. Granted I agree doing the anniversary stuff was a good idea, he made dough and even did a dope documentary. But halting work on your album for a year doesn't make sense. You got Timbo out here begging Nas to restart the process...
https://www.facebook.com/Timbaland/videos/10153277142820348/

:mindblown

Release that shit nicca  :comeon

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #3342 on: May 28, 2015, 03:41:03 PM »
That one joint Timbo played from Nas a few months back sounded ill

but everytime I think of Timbo and Nas in any form, all I can think about its You Owe Me

Not again brehs....not again  :pacspit

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3343 on: May 28, 2015, 03:46:09 PM »

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #3344 on: May 28, 2015, 04:03:59 PM »

Leave the studio and never return after hearing a beat like this brehs  :snoop

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #3345 on: May 28, 2015, 04:14:03 PM »
Obviously not touching his prime stuff but Prodigy's Return Of The Mac was great. HNIC 2 and Product of the 80s are solid too.

I'm laughing at anyone who still expects Nas to release anything that isn't lukewarm-to-absolute-trash. It's almost like he finishes a song, listens to it, thinks "is this kind of garbage? No? Save it for lost tapes 3 and get me a beat that sounds like JR Rotem in 2007!" Life Is Good strayed from that formula a little, but that shit was so pandering and corny. The only reason it wasn't completely ignored is because, even though it was completely bland, bland is a great palate cleanser if the last three things you ate tasted like dogshit. It'd be like if M Night Shyamalan put out Signs today. It's a pretty mediocre movie, but compared to After Earth or Avatar it's high cinema.

Cheddahz

« Reply #3346 on: May 29, 2015, 01:24:27 AM »

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3347 on: May 29, 2015, 03:14:12 AM »
*shrug* I liked Life Is Good, which has the best production he's rocked over in years (not saying much, obviously). The problem with it is that, like many recent Nas albums, it starts strong and then nosedives in the middle. I just don't understand why an artist in 2012 would cosign something like Reach Out. That beat is played the fuck out, as is Mary J Blidge. Nas' performance on the track isn't bad, in fact it's good....but I just don't want to listen to that track again. World's An Addiction features a classic Nas verse (the last one) but overall it's such a melodramatic track...no thanks. And then there's Summer On Smash...fuck Swizz Beats, man.

The back end of the album is pretty good, especially Stay and Bye Baby. Personally I would have scrapped Reach Out, Summer On Smash, and World's An Addiction for the bonus tracks: Roses, Where's The Love, and Trust.

In terms of Nas in general...ultimately it's an issue of production for me. Give him dope production and you'll get a dope project, period. Unlike most of his peers he's still rapping at a high level IMO. Him, Black Thought, and Pharoach Monch are the only early 90s dudes off the top of my head who are still slaying verses consistently today; Jay could be on that list if he wanted to (see: most of his guest feature verses over the last few years). Ultimately I'm taking an L for essentially making a coulda woulda shoulda argument but hey. Be a Nas stan brehs.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #3348 on: May 29, 2015, 05:00:03 AM »
That's a hard argument to avoid. You're talking about a dude as talented as him, who teased a full album with Primo before he went to shit, and then released two of the worst albums of career. And that's saying something, given how bad his bad albums are.

I don't get it. I guess he's just kind of an idiot savant. He's easily one of the best rappers ever, if not THE best, but his beat selection, weed carrier choices and alimony payments make me second guess everything.

sarslip

« Reply #3349 on: May 29, 2015, 10:54:46 AM »

Guy blamed Blueprint 3 for Wizard of Poetry flopping :dead

he shoulda blamed that album cover  :holeup

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #3350 on: May 29, 2015, 03:58:37 PM »

sarslip

« Reply #3351 on: June 01, 2015, 09:49:48 AM »
The random disrespect Jay and Nas have for producers is funny af. Both not showing up to recording sessions, not responding to emails, just being like nah and walking out of the booth.

I'm listening to this new alc interview btw brehs: talking about why Jay-Z and Alc never happened, about beat dueling Just Blaze, etc

https://soundcloud.com/awasteoftime/1-the-alchemist

I've always been so :( at Alc and Jay never getting a track done, now i know why. I always thought it was cause Alc wasn't trying to work with them cause of the Mobb beef.

:lol at Jay being like "yo.... when you gonna stop wasting these beats" to alc :dead
[close]

this interview was crazy, damn those hosts are annoying cacs, but man, some real gems like the jay-z one you mentioned.  jay-z is low-key / not low-key at all, ruthless with his tactics. 

made me wonder if jay-z was actually manipulating alc into hooking up his b-tier with some free beats... :ohhh

but there's truth in every lie, so he prolly did respect alc's work.  i had a brief opportunity to get a beat tape to alc during this time circa 2001, he was in Yonkers a lot.  just never worked out.     

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3352 on: June 01, 2015, 02:44:02 PM »
I'm sure there was truth to it but ultimately Alch was cliqued up with the enemy at the time, of course Jay wouldn't give him glowing praise. I remember Just Blaze telling a story about almost getting robbed at a club back then solely because he was allied with Jay. Anyone and everyone was on edge at that time.

I agree those hosts are trash. Stereotypical Jewish dude shit - the nonstop talk about who has what, the casual name dropping, the ridiculous connections that clearly got them the job, and an overall lack of being actually funny.

And I got the feeling they didn't even do much homework on Alch. The Stepbrothers album from last year features Scott Caan with a pretty dope verse - how didn't they know that.

I'm guessing they'll be getting lots of great guest appearances, as they bragged about. But meh, I think I'll stick with Juan Epstein and Combat Jack. Both shows are flawed - Rosenberg can be a chatty patty and Combat can be an absolute idiot - but they have good interviews.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #3353 on: June 01, 2015, 06:01:31 PM »
Like 75% of King Louie's discography is amazing bangers

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #3354 on: June 01, 2015, 07:28:37 PM »
I'm sure there was truth to it but ultimately Alch was cliqued up with the enemy at the time, of course Jay wouldn't give him glowing praise. I remember Just Blaze telling a story about almost getting robbed at a club back then solely because he was allied with Jay. Anyone and everyone was on edge at that time.

I agree those hosts are trash. Stereotypical Jewish dude shit - the nonstop talk about who has what, the casual name dropping, the ridiculous connections that clearly got them the job, and an overall lack of being actually funny.

And I got the feeling they didn't even do much homework on Alch. The Stepbrothers album from last year features Scott Caan with a pretty dope verse - how didn't they know that.

I'm guessing they'll be getting lots of great guest appearances, as they bragged about. But meh, I think I'll stick with Juan Epstein and Combat Jack. Both shows are flawed - Rosenberg can be a chatty patty and Combat can be an absolute idiot - but they have good interviews.

You've never heard of It's The Real? These dudes have been doing this for years. They have some of the best interviews with rappers ever.

Also lol @ being like 'they didn't do their research' like any rational human being is going to listen to an album where Al is rapping on half of it

Not gonna touch the "connections that clearly got them a job" thing either, yikes  :hitler

HiResDes

« Reply #3355 on: June 01, 2015, 07:51:46 PM »
Like 75% of King Louie's discography is amazing bangers

I concur. Fuck niccas and A Day are my favorite from that tape. I feel like he's the preeminent figure of drill and always has been...He's also really versatile and has a large bevvy of flows/styles under his belt.

sarslip

« Reply #3356 on: June 02, 2015, 08:16:47 AM »
i love Trill Folk songs

Beezy

« Reply #3357 on: June 02, 2015, 06:50:20 PM »
Esch, what are you using?

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3358 on: June 02, 2015, 07:08:01 PM »
When Nas uses Esch's beats on his next album

Beezy

« Reply #3359 on: June 02, 2015, 07:22:04 PM »
PD :dead

FL studio 11 :yeshrug

Oh ok. I was gonna ask where you were finding these sounds but I see now that you said they're all samples.