Author Topic: Random dribble:Next GTA set in....  (Read 10478 times)

maxy

• Sales Loser
Random dribble:Next GTA set in....
« on: July 26, 2010, 05:35:24 AM »
HOLLYWOOD

According to the ramblings posted here

http://www.vg247.com/2010/07/26/rumour-gta-v-is-set-in%E2%80%A6/

don't read if you want to save your sanity

cat

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
Re: Random dribble:Next GTA set in....
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 05:37:14 AM »
wow that will be great
itm

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 07:17:38 AM »
More fuel...

Eurogamer has learned from an independent source that Rockstar is ramping up research on locations around Hollywood.

Earlier today we heard that Tinseltown could well be the setting for Grand Theft Auto V.

Our source could not say whether the research was specific to the GTA series.
cat

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 09:07:01 AM »
Uhhhh...but San Andreas was already set in what is basically L.A., so...

This is stupid.
PS4

OptimoPeach

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 09:11:17 AM »
I hope the guy that wrote that gets cancer.

Also, Saints Row 3 will be better anyway
hi5

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 09:11:41 AM »
GTA Entourage

edit: no shit Saints Row 3 will be better. Saints Row 3DS will be better.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 09:16:43 AM by pilonv1 »
itm

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 09:13:26 AM »

Also, Saints Row 3 will be better anyway

Nailed it
fat

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 09:22:44 AM »
Hollywood MD? That's where I have to go for business travel next week.
 :P :P
^_^

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2010, 09:36:14 AM »
Uhhhh...but San Andreas was already set in what is basically L.A., so...

This is stupid.

And GTA3 was set in...

Himu

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2010, 09:49:43 AM »
Really? the pamplet in the gta: gay tony manual hinted at miami
IYKYK

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2010, 10:02:29 AM »
They should make a game that takes place in DC/Baltimore. "The Wire" type stuff for the b'more area, and all sorts of crazy political conspiracy stuff for the DC area...
^_^

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2010, 10:24:47 AM »
Grand Theft Auto: Detroit would be pretty awesome.
dog

Himu

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2010, 10:29:18 AM »
Detroit? A part of the gta experience is experiencing real world places in game form. Who wants to visit Detroit?
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2010, 10:36:27 AM »
Detroit? A part of the gta experience is experiencing real world places in game form. Who wants to visit Detroit?

You wouldn't want to go visit a crumbling, crime-ridden metropolis with a huge arsenal of heavy weapons? I know I would.
dog

Himu

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2010, 10:39:58 AM »
No, I mean, a part of the GTA experience for me is WOW I JUST GOT INTO A WILD CAR CHASE ACROSS THE MIAMI BEACH AND ENDED UP RUNNING THAT GUY or HAHA, THE HILLS IN SAN FRANCISCO SURE ARE FUN TO DRIVE AROUND AT 100 MPH TOO BAD I'D DIE IF I DID THAT IRL or something. It's fun taking famous, iconic locations and making them your playground.

As someone who has visited Detroit, and lived there for a month at one point in time, I think I can safely say that Detroit SUCKS. Sure, it'd be fun for a non-GTA game, but not for GTA.
IYKYK

TripleA

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2010, 10:44:47 AM »
They should make a game that takes place in DC/Baltimore. "The Wire" type stuff for the b'more area, and all sorts of crazy political conspiracy stuff for the DC area...

YES.

A video game like GTA set in the Baltimore and surrounding areas would be so boring.

Fixed.

Hollywood could work, they'll be able to create some 'shocking' gameplay scenarios that end up on the evening news / talkshows.

But imo GTA V should be set in the future, the 'modern-day-violence' theme is getting stale.

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2010, 10:46:18 AM »
Sci-fi GTA, it's the natural evolution of the genre.  Steal hovercars and time-traveling DeLoreans, while evading cyber-police for thoughtcrimes.

Consequences will never be the same.
PS4

Himu

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2010, 10:51:31 AM »
It won't be GTA5. It'll be a GTAIV: new city. Kinda like how GTAVC is basically GTA3: Vice City.
IYKYK

Robo

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2010, 11:01:11 AM »
Stop trying to sell me this American Dream shit again and again, Rockstar. 

This series really needs to expand to new countries/continents.
obo

Himu

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2010, 11:14:37 AM »
From what I've seen of RDR it's basically GTA4 in the west. This definitely means that the crux of GTA's main problem right now is setting. I don't even think a different country/continent would fix things. It has to be a completely different time period.
IYKYK

TripleA

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2010, 11:34:44 AM »
From what I've seen of RDR it's basically GTA4 in the west. This definitely means that the crux of GTA's main problem right now is setting. I don't even think a different country/continent would fix things. It has to be a completely different time period.

That's exactly my point.

Rockstar can't really explore the past anymore (Vice City, San Andreas, Red Dead, L.A Noire, Agent) and they've already done the modern thing. So why not explore future territory?

Himu

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2010, 11:43:31 AM »
exactly
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2010, 11:47:50 AM »
1980's Hong Kong would be awesome. I'd take that in a heartbeat.
dog

cool breeze

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2010, 01:34:03 PM »
isn't that what the new True Crime is supposed to be?

Hollywood as a setting depends on how they roll with it.  It would be funny because it's a similar setting to L.A. Noire, just not set around the 1950s.  But L.A. Noire is just Rockstar published and supposedly from the people behind The Getaway ( :-X).

I mostly just hope they change up the style from what GTA4 and RDR were.  Go see guy, talk for a while, talk while driving to the location, talk when you arrive, shoot one person, talk some more as you drive them back, and finish off by talking a bit more. 

I would like it if they added more rpg-lite elements like RDR had.  It seems like people are upset that America or certain settings are played out, but that is assuming it plays 100% like past games.  It could be a game with branching paths, dialog choices, rpg elements, and maybe even city building elements.  GTA5 will be like Sim City in Hollywood.  You arrive in the early days of Hollywood and design and manage several buildings yourself.  First half is the rise of your character, second half is the when you lose your billions and are forced to make a living as a Charlie Chaplin impersonator that is willing to give hand jobs for a small fee (Xbox 360 Natal Exclusive).  After four hours of this, some shady characters offer you work and the familiar GTA gameplay takes over. 

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2010, 06:18:47 PM »
zzzzzzzzzzzz

Third

• BODY TALK
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2010, 06:43:15 PM »
Setting is already better than RDR's.

Can't wait. Game will be swesome. Just like GTA 4 and its episodes. Still the best sandbox games of this gen.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2010, 07:03:40 PM »
Just like GTA 4 and its episodes. Still the best sandbox games of this gen.

Not by a long shot.
dog

GilloD

• TAKE THE LIFE OF FRED ASTAIRE. MAKE HIM PAY. TRANSFER HIS FAME TO YOU.
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2010, 07:23:37 PM »
It should be like Bart's Nightmare and you could enter different movies. Otherwise, who cares.
wha

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2010, 07:29:36 PM »
+1 for Detroit, that is somewhere I have always wanted to tear up in a videogame (and am too scared to visit in person)

Himu

« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2010, 08:56:34 PM »
oh god third :lol
IYKYK

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2010, 09:05:48 PM »
OSCAR WORTHY SCRIPT

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2010, 12:22:48 AM »
You couldn't be more wrong if you tried. You're positing that the only difference is the setting, when in fact the larger divergence between GTA IV and RDR exists in the interactivity between the player and the world.

GTA IV is a beautiful, detailed world, but nothing happens in it unless you're on a mission. You can DO A STORY MISSION or you can GO RACE or you can CALL A DATE and do ONE OF FOUR BORING ACTIVITIES TOGETHER. Or sometimes THEY CALL YOU, but if you refuse to go out with them it reduces your friendship rating with that character. Whenever you , you have to TRAVEL to pick them up, sometimes all the way across the map, then TRAVEL to the location, then do something boring like DARTS or POOL, and then TRAVEL back to their place.

In contrast the interaction with the townspeople in RDR is immediate: someone has been robbed, so go get the thief; someone's horse was stolen, so go retrieve it; someone is kidnapping a victim or going to knife them, so save them; someone wants to duel... It's all right there, right in front of you, and you don't have to go looking for it.

And those are just the in-town instances; let's talk about being out looking for specific environmental objects like herbs or flowers and suddenly being confronted by something that doesn't like you being there, like a grizzly or a cougar. Or how about stopping to help someone and being ambushed by a half dozen heavily armed jerks?

All of these encounters could be transposed into the GTA IV world and made it deeper and more enjoyable. It's been stated repeatedly in interviews with Rockstar that they wanted to tell an immigrant's story, and they wanted the player to be able to focus on that. It follows that they removed the simple R3 Missions from GTA3 series games because of that goal. RDR has shown that with enough creativity you can keep the spontaneous-appearing events without impairing the overall narrative. You'll be seeing similar, even analogous activities in GTA V, for certain.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2010, 12:24:06 AM »

Reb

• Hon. Mr. Tired
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2010, 05:42:40 AM »
Fill Wederman better be one of game's mission offering characters.

It would be cool if you could see him slowly get thinner as the missions progress, and then inevitably fatter again.
brb

Third

• BODY TALK
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2010, 05:54:52 AM »
smh @ the GTA4 haters. Sure, it was a downgrade compared to the awesome San Andreas. But it's still the best sandbox game of this gen. FACT

Sales and metacritic prove that  :bow2

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2010, 10:04:57 AM »
But it's still the best sandbox game of this gen. FACT

Let's see:

Crackdown was better
Dead Rising was better
Saints Row 2 was better
Red Faction: Guerrilla was better
Just Cause 2 was better
And...uh...Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars was better

So NOT FACT.
dog

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2010, 11:38:02 AM »
Yeah, Chinatown Wars being more fun than GTA IV was pretty astonishing.

Third

• BODY TALK
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2010, 12:26:55 PM »

Let's see:

Crackdown was better

Great game. But NO.

Dead Rising was better

Is this even a sandbox game ala GTA? NO

Saints Row 2 was better

Shitty game. NO

Red Faction: Guerrilla was better

Got boring very fast. So NO.
Just Cause 2 was better

Had potential. But NO.

And...uh...Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars was better

Have not played it yet. And never will. I refuse to play sandbox games on shitty hardware.

So NOT FACT.

Yep, FACT. Reconfirmed.

:bow GTA4 :bow2

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2010, 12:29:19 PM »
All a sandbox games has to do is being fun for maybe an hour or two and its instantly better than GTAIV and its Oscar-caliber script.
dog

drew

• sy
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2010, 12:59:37 PM »
Dead Rising was better

Is this even a sandbox game ala GTA? NO

doesnt matter, since its better than any game this gen, so it is always > *

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2010, 02:49:20 PM »
Yeah they couldn't possibly be scouting LA for...y'know...LA Noire. No way ::)
spoiler (click to show/hide)
While I do admit, LA Noire is like almost done, I have a strong feeling this has nothing to do with GTAV.
[close]
SRY

Himu

« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2010, 03:23:50 PM »
You couldn't be more wrong if you tried. You're positing that the only difference is the setting, when in fact the larger divergence between GTA IV and RDR exists in the interactivity between the player and the world.

GTA IV is a beautiful, detailed world, but nothing happens in it unless you're on a mission. You can DO A STORY MISSION or you can GO RACE or you can CALL A DATE and do ONE OF FOUR BORING ACTIVITIES TOGETHER. Or sometimes THEY CALL YOU, but if you refuse to go out with them it reduces your friendship rating with that character. Whenever you , you have to TRAVEL to pick them up, sometimes all the way across the map, then TRAVEL to the location, then do something boring like DARTS or POOL, and then TRAVEL back to their place.

In contrast the interaction with the townspeople in RDR is immediate: someone has been robbed, so go get the thief; someone's horse was stolen, so go retrieve it; someone is kidnapping a victim or going to knife them, so save them; someone wants to duel... It's all right there, right in front of you, and you don't have to go looking for it.

And those are just the in-town instances; let's talk about being out looking for specific environmental objects like herbs or flowers and suddenly being confronted by something that doesn't like you being there, like a grizzly or a cougar. Or how about stopping to help someone and being ambushed by a half dozen heavily armed jerks?

All of these encounters could be transposed into the GTA IV world and made it deeper and more enjoyable. It's been stated repeatedly in interviews with Rockstar that they wanted to tell an immigrant's story, and they wanted the player to be able to focus on that. It follows that they removed the simple R3 Missions from GTA3 series games because of that goal. RDR has shown that with enough creativity you can keep the spontaneous-appearing events without impairing the overall narrative. You'll be seeing similar, even analogous activities in GTA V, for certain.

I haven't played RDR.
IYKYK

SantaC

« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2010, 04:50:47 PM »

You wouldn't want to go visit a crumbling, crime-ridden metropolis with a huge arsenal of heavy weapons? I know I would.

done that 1000 times in a game already

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2010, 06:27:19 PM »
Himumu, it's fine that you haven't played RDR, but you should probably avoid making sweeping statements like you did until you actually have a basis for comparison.

Himu

« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2010, 06:36:33 PM »
I don't see how it's a sweeping statement. Even if I haven't played it, I'm still sure that the fact RDR takes place in the wild west, a setting not very common amongst games, is a big part of its critical reception among fans and critics alike -- it's refreshing. I'm not saying a giant portion of GTA4 WASN'T the mechanics, because obviously they were.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2010, 06:46:25 PM »
I..I'm not judging it.
IYKYK

Third

• BODY TALK
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2010, 06:51:48 PM »
From what I've seen of RDR it's basically GTA4 in the west.

It is.

The only thing that's better in RDR are the graphics.

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2010, 09:29:11 PM »
I'd say RDR is remarkably similar to GTAIV, the formulas almost nearly exactly the same with tweaks that make the world more immersive and fun. The difference is in setting and the world they put the player in not the mission structure or gameplay which feels 99% the same as GTAIV to me. I like GTAIV and RDR though so I'm not complaining and RDR is by far the slicker overall experience.
◕‿◕

ferrarimanf355

• I have the cutest car on The Bore
« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2010, 10:22:02 AM »
Sci-fi GTA, it's the natural evolution of the genre.  Steal hovercars and time-traveling DeLoreans, while evading cyber-police for thoughtcrimes.

Consequences will never be the same.
You dun goofed up.

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2010, 10:24:00 AM »
I..I'm not judging it.

I don't see how it's a sweeping statement. Even if I haven't played it, I'm still sure that the fact RDR takes place in the wild west, a setting not very common amongst games, is a big part of its critical reception among fans and critics alike -- it's refreshing. I'm not saying a giant portion of GTA4 WASN'T the mechanics, because obviously they were.

:lol
PS4

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #50 on: July 28, 2010, 11:50:36 AM »
Sorry, what were the sales numbers on Call of Juarez and GUN again?

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #51 on: July 28, 2010, 11:54:27 AM »
Hell, trying to think farther back, I can't think of a single Western-set game that's been a big hit.  It's not just the setting.
PS4

Himu

« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2010, 12:01:45 PM »
I'm not talking about sales. In which case, RDR's marketing was nothing but showing off the western setting and yet it was a success. I think my point still stands.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 12:04:31 PM by Himuro »
IYKYK

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #53 on: July 28, 2010, 12:15:38 PM »
The marketing on RDR was weird, and not very successful. Those droll videos about life in the old west and reverse IK driven damage models were pretty far from compelling. What RDR has moved on, more than anything else, is word of mouth.

You can think your point still stands all you want, you're still really, really wrong. Western games have been sales poison for a while now. And the difference isn't just setting. But since you've ignored what I spent time writing and continue to blather on about a game you haven't played, I'll treat your responses with similar dismissal.

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #54 on: July 28, 2010, 12:16:30 PM »
chronovore is right on this one, Himuro.  Western settings have NEVER been a selling point for games.
PS4

Himu

« Reply #55 on: July 28, 2010, 12:19:29 PM »
The marketing on RDR was weird, and not very successful. Those droll videos about life in the old west and reverse IK driven damage models were pretty far from compelling. What RDR has moved on, more than anything else, is word of mouth.

You can think your point still stands all you want, you're still really, really wrong. Western games have been sales poison for a while now. And the difference isn't just setting. But since you've ignored what I spent time writing and continue to blather on about a game you haven't played, I'll treat your responses with similar dismissal.

So you don't agree that a change in setting and time period wouldn't do the GTA series good? That's all my argument boils down to.
IYKYK

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #56 on: July 28, 2010, 12:22:20 PM »
...but that's not what you SAID.
PS4

Himu

« Reply #57 on: July 28, 2010, 12:27:40 PM »
I said that RDR appears to be GTAIV in the west with improvements. While the improvements are definitely the REAL reason RDR is so popular (and I am only citing a few reasons, from my observations, not all), from most impressions I've seen these improvements are also due to the setting and time period from all the impressions I've read. You don't have to worry about car physics, because you rely on horses. The game has cabs for quick access and transportation, but unlike GTA it never had the burden of relying on vehicular transportation to begin with. Things like that. It seems like  a lot of RDR's improvements over GTA4 are because of the setting itself, which creates limitations over the game that weren't possible in GTA4.

I'm mostly talking about fan feedback and reception. It's the total opposite of GTA4's, despite the fact that many people I know who have played the game have admittedly said that the core gameplay and mechanics between the two is pretty damn similar.

I was just making a passing comment, not an actual discussion on RDR because I haven't played it. Chronovore is the one who tried to make it a legit discussion, whereas I'm merely mentioning in passing and talking about fan reception.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 12:32:11 PM by Himuro »
IYKYK

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #58 on: July 29, 2010, 03:45:22 AM »
So you don't agree that a change in setting and time period wouldn't do the GTA series good? That's all my argument boils down to.

It's not an argument, it's a statement. And it is a sweeping generalization:

As I said, the things which make RDR work are transposable to the GTA urban setting. As QuietID stated, most of the narrative mission stuff is identical to GTA IV's structure. I didn't have an issue with GTA IV's narrative missions, only that there is almost nothing to do other than them.

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #59 on: July 29, 2010, 08:50:17 AM »
[youtube=560,345][/youtube]

lol
cat