Author Topic: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics  (Read 1866740 times)

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics
« Reply #15960 on: January 21, 2012, 08:07:07 PM »
According to the exit polls, Mitt Romney lost all income levels with the exception of those making over $200,000 a year.

herp a derp

rofl
dog

Oblivion

Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics
« Reply #15961 on: January 21, 2012, 09:26:07 PM »
Holy shit, the Newtster won! :bow

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #15962 on: January 21, 2012, 09:56:34 PM »
I knew South Carolina wouldn't let me down.  ;)

The dude who wins the South Carolina primary has historically always gotten the nomination. Please let this tradition continue.  :hyper :hyper

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #15963 on: January 21, 2012, 10:00:38 PM »
So can Newt carry this momentum into Florida or will TEH ELITES destroy his campaign first

Oblivion

« Reply #15964 on: January 21, 2012, 10:09:43 PM »

« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 10:12:22 PM by Oblivion »

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #15965 on: January 21, 2012, 10:30:20 PM »

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
©@©™

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #15968 on: January 23, 2012, 12:45:09 PM »
乱学者

« Reply #15969 on: January 23, 2012, 02:47:28 PM »
Washington State Gay Marriage Bill Hearing is on right now:

http://www.tvw.org/index.php?option=com_tvwliveplayer&eventID=2012010157
野球

« Reply #15970 on: January 23, 2012, 03:12:26 PM »
25th vote for gay marriage equality has been secured. It will now pass.

And then we'll get to vote on it in the fall. You know it's coming.
野球

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #15971 on: January 23, 2012, 03:16:31 PM »
RIP Washington, your state and hetero marriages are doomed

I really wish that during the Iowa caucus/debates/etc, someone would have asked the GOP candidates if Iowa was a worse state than it was 4-6 years ago before gay marriage came into effect, and in what specific ways could it be measured.

« Reply #15972 on: January 23, 2012, 03:21:51 PM »
Yep, clearly my marriage has been dissolved. I should probably let my wife know.
野球

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #15973 on: January 23, 2012, 03:48:45 PM »
I really wish that during the Iowa caucus/debates/etc, someone would have asked the GOP candidates if Iowa was a worse state than it was 4-6 years ago before gay marriage came into effect, and in what specific ways could it be measured.

Ron Paul got over 20% of the vote, what more evidence do you need?
©@©™

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #15974 on: January 23, 2012, 05:22:08 PM »
Ron Paul Supporter Likes The Way Paul Tells It Like It Has No Chance Of Being
http://www.theonion.com/articles/ron-paul-supporter-likes-the-way-paul-tells-it-lik,27138/
o_0

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #15976 on: January 23, 2012, 06:30:14 PM »
Just got home from work and watching the gay marriage hearings down in Olympia. The religious crazies and consitutionalists are out in full force. I'm sorry, but you can't hide behind your religion when you're openly discriminating against people.

Thankfully, there are also many religious individuals down there in support of marriage equality. Lots of rabbis, pastors and family members who want this to pass so everyone is treated equally.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 06:33:58 PM by Mr. Gundam »
野球

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #15977 on: January 23, 2012, 08:31:34 PM »
A new poll out from Public Policy Polling (D) shows former House Speaker Newt Gingrich with a five point lead over former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney as the two men prepare to battle it out Monday night in Tampa at the NBC debate. Gingrich gets 38 percent in the new survey to Romney’s 33 percent, with former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum receiving 13 percent and Rep. Ron Paul (R-TX) getting 10.
http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/updates/4570

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politi
« Reply #15978 on: January 23, 2012, 10:40:42 PM »
Does America really want six 3-hour long Lincoln-Douglas style debates this badly?  I feel like Romney should start focusing his campaign on how punishing that much debate time would actually be on the average American attention span.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #15979 on: January 24, 2012, 12:25:51 AM »
This is what America wants

f'realz, if Obama was more like Camacho he could easily be Prez 4 Lyfe
yar

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #15980 on: January 24, 2012, 02:17:33 AM »
Mitt Romney paid a 13.9 percent tax rate on $21.6 million in income last year.
http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/01/mitt-romney-paid-a-139-effective-tax-rate-in-2010.php?ref=fpblg
 :lol

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #15981 on: January 24, 2012, 01:27:50 PM »
well, that's clearly fair, we don't want to punish success after all. :smug

anybody catch the debate last night?  Sounds like Newt kinda muffed it, but there's another one on Thursday that will give him a chance to beat up on whomever is asking the questions.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15982 on: January 24, 2012, 02:52:33 PM »
I love the way Newt just skates around any question he doesn't want to answer by getting irate at the person who asked it.
dog

Oblivion

« Reply #15983 on: January 24, 2012, 05:17:15 PM »
Yeah, hardly anyone said that Newt came out of this looking good. Not so much that he "lost", but it was clear he didn't perform as well as the previous debates.

Of course, this is part of the reasons why I said that Newt's overrated as fuck when it comes to his reputation as a great debater. Without hearing the cheering and hollering of a bloodthirsty audience, Newt himself was Newt-ered.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #15984 on: January 24, 2012, 09:08:35 PM »
Well, it's time for the SOTU, which means Cheebs will no doubt be watching and probably doing the wave like a good fanboy.
yar

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #15985 on: January 24, 2012, 09:14:07 PM »
Obama starting the speech out with his kill count  :american :american :american

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
©@©™

Himu

« Reply #15987 on: January 24, 2012, 10:01:32 PM »
my mom just clapped and cheered for obama.

was the address that good? more nicely dressed words and false promises?
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #15988 on: January 24, 2012, 10:27:28 PM »
Felt like more of a grand policy speech than previous SOTU addresses. A lot of the pre-speech tidbits focused on the testy parts of the speech, but overall this could have easily been given by a republican president. Lots of tax cuts, lots of ending regulations, sabre rattling Iran.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #15989 on: January 24, 2012, 11:37:16 PM »
Best part of the speech

« Reply #15990 on: January 25, 2012, 12:31:33 AM »
I thought it was a good speech. You saw more of that election campaign swagger back in Obama.
野球

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #15991 on: January 25, 2012, 03:15:10 AM »
Andrew Sullivan was horrified that Obama pandered by proposing a bunch of populist programs and didn't propose dickpunching the poor and what's left of the middle class with some good ol' fashioned austerity.  Because, you know, the thing to do in an election year is tell everyone that they have to pay more because it makes crazy British people erect.
yar

Cheebo

« Reply #15992 on: January 25, 2012, 05:40:01 AM »
Well, it's time for the SOTU, which means Cheebs will no doubt be watching and probably doing the wave like a good fanboy.
Eh? I been pretty critical of Obama the last few years. He has far from lived up to his potential.

As for the SOTU, pretty solid. Probably his best of the ones he has given so far. Mitch Daniels.  :-\ I don't get why anyone agrees to do those rebuttals. It's impossible to come off good in them.
₩‰\

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #15993 on: January 25, 2012, 08:23:50 AM »
THe rebuttals are awkwardly hilarious. They basically say that Obama just wasted an hour and a half of your time because the 'loyal opposition' isn't going to have any of it.
©ZH

Cheebo

« Reply #15994 on: January 25, 2012, 09:04:18 AM »
If I remember the Dem ones that always were after Bush were just as awkward. I don't get the point of it in all honesty. There is no way for the opposition to come off well compared to a SOTU.
₩‰\

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #15995 on: January 25, 2012, 10:24:19 AM »
http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_c2#/video/politics/2012/01/24/sotu-obama-osama-bin-laden.cnn
President Barack Obama says Osama bin Laden is not a threat to the U.S. during his State of the Union address.

Breaking news! :omg
©@©™

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #15996 on: January 25, 2012, 11:03:18 AM »
I always liked Jim Webb's response in 2007.  Granted he was rebutting Bush and it was pretty much after the country had collectively decided "wtf were we thinking" but yeah.

yar

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #15998 on: January 25, 2012, 01:18:32 PM »
Andrew Sullivan was horrified that Obama pandered by proposing a bunch of populist programs and didn't propose dickpunching the poor and what's left of the middle class with some good ol' fashioned austerity.  Because, you know, the thing to do in an election year is tell everyone that they have to pay more because it makes crazy British people erect.

yeah, he's really  lost his shit completely - about 72 hours ago he decided that America needs comprehensive tax code reform and that should be Obama's primary message. Obama didn't get on board immediately, therefore ... Nobama? Kinda out-of-character for a guy so recently patting himself on the back for taking the long view.
乱学者

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #15999 on: January 25, 2012, 01:20:14 PM »

http://news.yahoo.com/us-military-raid-somalia-frees-american-dane-063438091.html

When I saw that last night I figured it must have been a raid or something

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #16000 on: January 25, 2012, 03:23:36 PM »
Castro said he always assumed the candidates would try to outdo each other on the issue of Cuba, but that he was nonetheless appalled by the level of debate.

"The selection of a Republican candidate for the presidency of this globalized and expansive empire is – and I mean this seriously – the greatest competition of idiocy and ignorance that has ever been," said the retired Cuban leader, who has dueled with 11 U.S. administrations since his 1959 revolution

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/25/fidel-castro-republican-race_n_1230930.html

:lol
©ZH

Oblivion

« Reply #16002 on: January 25, 2012, 07:18:13 PM »
"What we've seen in 20 individual House district polls reinforces national numbers- Dems have a real chance at regaining majority"

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #16003 on: January 25, 2012, 07:59:39 PM »
Too early to tell.  The polls mean jack and shit at this point.
🍆🍆

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #16004 on: January 25, 2012, 08:18:45 PM »
Too much stuff can happen in the next few months, from the Eurozone shit to gas prices to scandals etc. The only definitive way dems re-take the house is if Gingrich is the nominee

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #16005 on: January 26, 2012, 12:27:45 AM »

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #16006 on: January 26, 2012, 01:39:16 AM »
http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_c2#/video/politics/2012/01/24/sotu-obama-osama-bin-laden.cnn
President Barack Obama says Osama bin Laden is not a threat to the U.S. during his State of the Union address.

So Obama is basically saying 9/11 never happened? All those people that died on that day are nothing to him?
QED

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #16007 on: January 26, 2012, 01:56:37 AM »
East Haven Mayor Joseph Maturo is facing heavy criticism for controversial comments made after four police officers were charged for using excessive force against undocumented immigrants and covering up abuses.

In a broadcast interview, New York City-based WPIX reporter Mario Diaz asked Maturo: "What are you going to do for the Latino community today?" And with one hand on his hip Maturo quite proudly responded: "I might have tacos when I go home, I'm not quite sure yet."

You can't make this stuff up.

Diaz even gives Maturo a chance to redeem himself, by saying, "You realize that isn't the comment to say right now, right?"

That's when the interview got a bit, shall we say, ugly, and continued for about another four minutes.

Maturo added: "When you ask me what I would do for Latinos, I may go out and have a Latino dinner in the Latino community. There's nothing wrong with that and you can twist it and turn it whichever way the press decides to do!"

According to Diaz's report, Maturo approached him and apologized for his remarks.

The Latino community in East Haven, according to the Census, make up 10.3% of the town's population.

Yet out of a police force of 50, only one speaks Spanish, and government officials, along with one community resident, informed PIX 11 that he is not even Latino.

Police treatment of Hispanics in East Haven, has been under federal scrutiny since 2009, when the U.S. Department of Justice launched a civil rights probe that found a pattern of discrimination and biased policing.

This morning, Governor Dannel Malloy released a public statement regarding East Haven Mayor Joseph Maturo's "racially insensitive comments" calling them "repugnant" and "unacceptable."

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #16009 on: January 26, 2012, 05:11:46 PM »

So Obama is basically saying 9/11 never happened? All those people that died on that day are nothing to him?

I think what he means is that we have nothing to fear from his rotting, zombie corpse coming back to seek revenge on us, which is clearly short-sighted.
©@©™

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #16010 on: January 26, 2012, 09:11:51 PM »
Everytime Romney defends the MA healthcare law it sounds like he's defending Obama's

"private insurance! group insurance!"

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #16011 on: January 26, 2012, 09:20:00 PM »
 :maf First of all, not worth getting angry about  :maf Romney says to himself out loud.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #16012 on: January 26, 2012, 10:19:42 PM »
I only saw the second half of the debate but Romney looked very different. I heard he recently got a new debate coach, who used to work with Michelle Bachmann of all people. He was sharp and just boxed Gingrich effortlessly.

Personally I don't think Obama is some great debater; he certainly didn't out-do Clinton by any large measurement, and benefited from a laughably weak opponent in McCain later. The general election debates will this time have two competent looking contestants for people (and the media) to critique

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #16013 on: January 27, 2012, 02:27:24 PM »
Newt is such a despicable fellow but damn, that Moonbase idea is fucking AWESOME.
^_^

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #16014 on: January 27, 2012, 03:43:39 PM »
The moonbase was pandering to people in an area that is now mired in uncertainty and pessimism due to the recent changes in NASA.
🍆🍆

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #16015 on: January 27, 2012, 07:57:42 PM »
Not a big space guy but whatevs, go for it. That being said on one hand Newt has been fascinated by space exploration for decades, on the other he's pandering to Florida voters. He's smart enough to know his idea isn't feasible alongside never ending wars, his interest in attacking Iran, etc

I wonder what Newt and the rest of the candidate's position on NASA would be if Obama was increasing the funding yearly

Oblivion

« Reply #16016 on: January 27, 2012, 10:30:51 PM »
Gingrich got beaten by Romney of all people. :lol

Hopefully this'll show the tea baggers that speaking in complete sentences while simultaneously being an apparent asshole doesn't make you a genius (outside the Bible Belt anyway).

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #16017 on: January 28, 2012, 12:37:25 AM »
Romney’s argument is that even though he pays only 13.9%, he’s really paying something like 45% to 50% because the investment income he lives on comes from corporations. And those corporates also pay taxes. The nominal corporate tax rate is 35%, though of course many pay much lower. But if you add Romney’s rate together with this completely unrelated corporate tax he doesn’t pay, you get 50%, which Romney is now saying is real tax rate. In other words, he’s claiming he pays both taxes.
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/2012/01/romney_actually_i_kind_of_pay_50_tax.php?ref=fpblg

This is amazing. Wow  :lol

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #16018 on: January 28, 2012, 12:53:43 AM »
Corporations are people too, my friend!
yar

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #16019 on: January 28, 2012, 09:53:00 AM »
Romney should stop trying to be Joe Sixpack and instead play up the fact that he is the most sane candidate still in the primaries.
🍆🍆