Author Topic: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics  (Read 1866719 times)

Himu

Election quiz

Jill Stein - 88%
Barack Obama - 87%
Kent Mesplay - 83%
Ron Paul - 58%
Mitt Romney - 15%
Texas voters - 82%

Democratic - 87%
Green - 87%
Libertarian - 61%
Republican - 15%
IYKYK

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
Jill Stein - 90%
Barack Obama - 89%
Kent Mesplay - 86%
Gary Johnson - 55%
Jimmy McMillan - 51%
Ron Paul - 43%
Virgil Goode - 7%
Mitt Romney - 5%

Iowa Voters - 77%
American Voters - 80%

89% - Democratic
89% - Green
52% - Libertarian
5% - Republican

Considering that I intend to vote for Jill Stein this fall, I guess I'm not too surprised.  Also I have to LOL at how Libertarian-loaded this quiz is.
🍆🍆

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
©@©™

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
:drudge THE CRISIS CONTINUES :drudge
yar

fart

there's a new sheriff in town. his name is black, joe black

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
demi bring back the ignore button

i hate the new way

pcp

Himu

texp, I'd love to vote for Stein and I'm very pro-Green Party, but voting for her won't amount to shit in the long run and I can't have Romney in the house. :(
IYKYK

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
🍆🍆

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story

this

Oh man, what a meme. Few people tempt me to slap them, but these fuckers...how does one get into college due to their dad, have their tuition payed by their parents, get their first job due to their dad's connections...also believe they pulled their own boot straps up. I don't even support affirmative action based on race, but there's no question it was initially set up to combat shit like this.

Reminds me of Romney claiming he gave away his entire inheritance, and thus made his millions "on his own"

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
It's not his fault Obama handed out boot straps to everyone. Or rather John robert did. :teehee
©ZH

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
GEE SO SURPRISING. actually, this whole quiz smells of paultard bullshit. obama should NOT be the leftmost candidate by ANY stretch. if it gives full weight to obama when selecting "nationalize the banks" and i'm now almost 100% sure it does, it's a treacherous sack of shit.
Considering that I intend to vote for Jill Stein this fall, I guess I'm not too surprised.  Also I have to LOL at how Libertarian-loaded this quiz is.
It's got problems, especially with new answers both ways now. I hadn't really noticed because I didn't look at the answers just killing time with it. And it was much better last time around.

But other libertarians noticed the same thing as you guys but on the opposite. Something like "DESTROY THE SOCIAL SAFETY NET AND ENSLAVE CHILDREN" was marked "agree with Romney" because he said to not expand Social Security. I checked and it's doing the same thing on your side. Seems to be trying its best to filter towards Obama/Romney now that the primaries are over.

I looked at another one shortly after posting that, CNN, I think and they had eliminated the third parties from it, when they had them during the GOP primary.
Oh man, what a meme. Few people tempt me to slap them, but these fuckers...how does one get into college due to their dad, have their tuition payed by their parents, get their first job due to their dad's connections...also believe they pulled their own boot straps up. I don't even support affirmative action based on race, but there's no question it was initially set up to combat shit like this.

Reminds me of Romney claiming he gave away his entire inheritance, and thus made his millions "on his own"
I know someone who is the ultimate this and you might have heard of him, maybe other michiganders, let me see if I can find him.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 09:56:54 AM by benjipwns »

benjipwns

He's also a cultural warrior to the death type IIRC. No compromise on abortion, gay marriage, etc. (I mean like rape/etc. for abortion type, not even that.)

http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-250_162-3409236.html
http://www.dennislennoxdiary.com/
http://twitter.com/dennislennox/

He seemed to only wear boat shoes.

He imagined himself the next Speaker of the House and then Governor or something.

http://www.upnorthlive.com/news/story.aspx?id=626803

He couldn't handle the faux-legislature exercise we did in great near-graduate level course. (Your libertarian BFF benji in the Democratic caucus took advantage of him with his two College GOP friends dictating to their caucus "we already have our agenda" and then leaving after five minutes... to bring them over to our room and hammered out a compromise that got 80% of what we wanted. And then got to enjoy him losing like 28-3 when the whole body sat the next week.  :teehee)

That same personality is what got him kicked out of the College Republicans. And then last I knew he was even driven out of YAF before he left school to fail at being Drain Commissioner and running for Congress.

He'll probably sign up here now, but I don't give a fuck.

Broseidon

• Estado Homo
That's one weird looking dude.

I can't tell if he's 18 or 58.
bent

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
That's one weird looking dude.

I can't tell if he's 18 or 58.

Going from this article, http://slog.thestranger.com/2008/09/oh_the_people_youll_meet , he is 27-28.
🍆🍆

benjipwns

He's looked like that for at least seven years.

I like to picture him whenever I might feel some favorability towards the GOP that's not the Pauls or Amash.

He's worse than I could describe, the videos are gone.

Phoenix Dark

iirc that's the guy who tried to take on Gary Peters in a classroom. Dude is crazy

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
He's also a cultural warrior to the death type IIRC. No compromise on abortion, gay marriage, etc. (I mean like rape/etc. for abortion type, not even that.)

What is with his tweeting how many days are left in the year every day?  ???
QED

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator

What is with his tweeting how many days are left in the year every day?  ???

Aspergers? Might explain a few things.
dog

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
Wow that guy has a really small head...
^_^

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
duc

Human Snorenado

• Icon
yar

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
I'm going to sound like a raging misogynist here but whatever: what's up with this wave of attractive yet stupid soccer mom type conservatives?

I mean in the past you'd have conservative women like say Kay Bailey Hutchison, Peggy Noonan, or Christine Todd Whitman.  Now you have people like SE Cupp, Elizabeth Hasselbeck, Christine O'Donnell, Sarah Palin, and Kelly Ayotte who is jumping up and down practically begging to be VP.  They're all good looking ladies, they're all aggressively ambitious but at the same time they are very proud of their ignorance and lack of intellectual curiosity.  It seems like this shift happened in the past five years.
🍆🍆

Mandark

• Icon
Quote from: SE Cupp
The other part of it — I like that there is a check, OK? That there‘s a person in the office that doesn’t think he’s bigger than the state. I like religion being a check and knowing that my president goes home every night addressing someone above him and not thinking all the power resides right here… Atheists don’t have that.

That's a new one.  Religious people make better elected officials because their faith... gives them more deference to the worldly institutions of governance?  Zuh?

I always wonder how much people like that feel they're bullshitting vs. how sincere they are. Not just politics, but the Skip Bayless crowd too.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
I've never known an elected politician to be hypocritical about their religion, so I definitely agree with the points Ms. Cupp raised.
dog

Human Snorenado

• Icon
The other part of it — I like that there is a check, OK? That there‘s a person in the office that doesn’t think he’s bigger than the state. I like religion being a check and knowing that my president goes home every night addressing someone above him and not thinking all the power resides right here… Atheists don’t have that.

That's a new one.  Religious people make better elected officials because their faith... gives them more deference to the worldly institutions of governance?  Zuh?

I always wonder how much people like that feel they're bullshitting vs. how sincere they are. Not just politics, but the Skip Bayless crowd too.

What could go wrong with a devout Christian being President, believing that his decisions were guided from above and thus making him devoid of any self-doubt or second guessing?
yar

Phoenix Dark

I kind of wonder if that was moreso Cubb trying to maintain her conservative base by any means necessary, and less her actual opinion/thoughts. At least I hope so...

benjipwns

I thought S.E. Cupp claims to be an atheist.  ???

And then, of course, she wrote this:

"I am an atheist. I have been an atheist for fifteen years. ... I believe ... that Judeo-Christian values, religious tolerance, an objective press, the benevolence of Christianity, and civility and decency make for a better American democracy."

http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/belief-nonbelief-equal-article-1.437162

what

Never much liked her on Red Eye. Krystal Ball was better after her first couple times.

When they first announced The Cycle I thought it would only have women.

I'm going to sound like a raging misogynist here but whatever: what's up with this wave of attractive yet stupid soccer mom type conservatives?
Spoilered just in case  :nsfw:
spoiler (click to show/hide)

[close]
iirc that's the guy who tried to take on Gary Peters in a classroom. Dude is crazy
Nah, just followed him out to his car at night.

Phoenix Dark

Cupp certainly demonstrates the group self loathing mentality conservatives love. Self hating her own views on religion freed her from the mental plantation of atheism, to use the parlance of black conservatives

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.

What could go wrong with a devout Christian being President, believing that his decisions were guided from above and thus making him devoid of any self-doubt or second guessing?

Because it's just a mask. They say they are doing god's work when they are only doing the work of special interests. Lloyd Blankenfein said Goldman Sachs was doing "god's work" after the big crash.  ::)
©ZH

benjipwns

Because it's just a mask. They say they are doing god's work when they are only doing the work of special interests.
Well, yeah, it's politics.

Oblivion

Of all the conservative women that display signs of congnitive dissonance, my future ex-waifu S.E. does it the most adorably.  :heart

To truly understand the mental gymnastics that one has to go to, to be a pro-religion atheist, one needs to only check out this interview:

Oblivion

Since we're on the subject, I should also mention what Ms. Cupp also said not too long ago:

if Democrats insist that women need Obama to take care of them, then why shouldn't women also feel compelled to consider how their future husbands will take care of them? What's the difference between the feminists' political marriage to Obama and Ann's marriage to Mitt? Both choices are predicated on who will be the better provider.

http://jezebel.com/5903056/misinformed-columnist-says-ann-romney-should-be-a-feminist-role-model-for-marrying-rich

Oblivion

Since we're on the subject, I should also mention something else Ms. Cupp said not too long ago:

if Democrats insist that women need Obama to take care of them, then why shouldn't women also feel compelled to consider how their future husbands will take care of them? What's the difference between the feminists' political marriage to Obama and Ann's marriage to Mitt? Both choices are predicated on who will be the better provider.

http://jezebel.com/5903056/misinformed-columnist-says-ann-romney-should-be-a-feminist-role-model-for-marrying-rich

Brehvolution

Because it's just a mask. They say they are doing god's work when they are only doing the work of special interests.
Well, yeah, it's politics.

No. It's a wolf in sheep's skin. THE definition of a bold face lie.
©ZH

Oblivion

Joe the Plumber lays waste to Science.

Latte sippin science lovers annihilated yet again.

benjipwns

Joe the Plumber lays waste to Science.

Latte sippin science lovers annihilated yet again.
Video from this too since I bumped us to the new page:
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 05:27:30 AM by benjipwns »

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
If science is so great, where's my flying car?
©@©™

Brehvolution

To be fair to JTP, it doesn't take a lot of science to unclog a drain. It doesn't take a bible though either.
©ZH

benjipwns

If science is so great, where's my flying car?
Yep, Q.E.D.

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
This came from White House deputy press secretary in response to Buzzfeed's stultifyingly dumb piece suggesting that the Obama campaign was using a font similar to Cuban revolutionary propaganda (you read that right) and calling for the head of the kerning vetter. Jayzuz.

Anyway, here's the WH reaction:

“Your GOP operative should have had the courtesy to stay sober before noon, and BuzzFeed should go back to labeling cat slideshows.”

:rofl
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 04:45:31 PM by Mamacint »
___

Phoenix Dark

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
"Back when people received very little wages, worked every waking hour, and were threatened with physical violence and death, they worked a lot harder!"
dog

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
A racist douchebag  writing for National Review, well this is new!
©@©™

Himu

COLORED PEOPLE

WHY AREN'T YOU WORKING HARDER? Why don't you get a job?

But I'm working three jobs already!

GET ANOTHER ONE
IYKYK

Human Snorenado

• Icon
COLORED PEOPLE

WHY AREN'T YOU WORKING HARDER? Why don't you get a job?

But I'm working three jobs already!

GET ANOTHER ONE

Typical, working a bunch of shit jobs because you can't pull yourself up and have a CAREER. :smug
yar

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
Just like how it's democrats that really waging the war on woman and they're the ones that are really hate brown people. Liberal media always getting everything twisted.
©@©™

Akala

• Easy Victor
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/republicans-plan-win-over-youth-vote-195607913.html

pretty sure we skew young enough...who's up for BOREPAC and scammin some $$??

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
You know, I'm really glad that all our country's other problems have been fixed so that there's nothing left for the House to do but debate the merits of Obamacare now that it's already passed the House, the Senate, and been upheld by the Supreme Court. Great job guys, really swell work. Just keep hashing that over. Seriously, just keep doing that. It's awesome.
©@©™

Phoenix Dark

Here's how the partnership will work: The YG Action fund, a super PAC, will scour the country looking for new young Republican House and Senate candidates. (The group is similar to, but independent from, the National Republican Congressional Committee's "Young Guns" program.) The Action fund will support these new GOP candidates and independently bolster their campaigns. Meanwhile, MavPAC will build its own base of young, new donors and fundraising bundlers, whom they plan to connect with the new recruits. The two groups will share data based on the information they gather from new supporters. They plan to spend $5 million this election cycle on the joint project.

This is why republicans fail at appealing to various demographics, and explains the conservative thought process in some ways. Any attempt to spear head a voter outreach movement aimed at demographics  that traditionally aren't republicans is based on nominating candidates who happen to be members of said demographic. Appeal to women? Sarah Palin. Appeal to Hispanics? Marco Rubio. Appeal to blacks? Hermain Cain. Because clearly these demographics only vote for people who look like them.

No wonder many republicans truly believe most black people voted for Obama because he's black. Never mind that Al Gore got what, 94% of the black vote and Kerry did similarly. We saw this earlier in the year when conservative personalities argued a Hermain Cain candidacy could split the black vote. Because of course, black people simply wouldn't know what to do if there were two black candidates to vote for instead of one.

I'm not going to go into a "republicans are doomed" spiel here, but republicans sure as hell better find a more logical means of appealing to Hispanic voters besides betting the farm on a Cuban politician.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
Well race/gender do matter to some extent in elections and pretty much all Republican politicians in Congress are white men so they need to diversify eventually.

The current Republicans don't really have a consistent message that they can pitch to those demographics. They have vague plans of lowering taxes and reducing government spending, but without any concrete plans in place (beyond opposing everything the Democrats want to do) you can't really promise anything that would appeal to the left-leaning demographics.

That's why I think the Tea Party will eventually split the Republican party after they lose to Obama in November. It might take a few years or a whole decade even, but clearly their attempt at uniting evangelicals with free-marketers and anti-federalists is failing massively. The one downside is that Obama's second term may still have too many Republicans in Congress to overcome the filibusters.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 10:05:48 PM by am nintenho »

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
Well, when you have positions that run directly against the demographics you want to bring in but at the same time, you don't want to shed said positions, your only resort is to bring in people who look like the people they want to bring in.  That and Republicans have been thriving off of identity politics for over 50 years now, they probably aren't used to campaigning any other way.  For many elections, the GOP has been able to win off the back of theoretical societal ills like the communist egghead liberal teaching at your daughter's school and Shaniqua with her five kids from three baby daddies.
🍆🍆

Human Snorenado

• Icon
Democrats will be extremely lucky to keep control of the Senate this year.  I think it's entirely likely that Obama wins by 2-4 points and slightly less than he did in the EC in 2008 but Republicans take control of the Senate.  If that happens pretty much nothing will get done except by executive order for the next however many years Republicans have control of Congress.
yar

Mandark

• Icon
For Mandark: http://thinkprogress.org/security/2012/07/05/511273/national-review-colonial-times/

This is basically bog standard colonial apologism, which is as common in certain parts of the right as defenses of the Confederacy.  I mean, its implications are obviously racist, but no more so than the usual NRO dross.

Conrad Black's wrong, of course.  Any system of government that reliably induces violent rebellions by people trying to overthrow it is probably not a "good" one by any sensible measure, and certainly not a sustainable one.  No amount of careful word choice (large scale murder becomes "inexcusably heavy-handedness" while city planning is "splendid") can cover that up.

I'm not shocked that a conservative member of the House of Lords wants to write something like this.  What surprises me just a little, though, is that National Review Online, which has spent a lot of the last three years egging on a bunch of activists poncing around in tri-corner hats and claiming the heritage of revolutionary America by calling themselves Tea Partiers, would publish an argument against national independence movements and democracy, and in favor of continued European colonial rule.  The fucking irony of it all.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
And before someone else points it out, of course they don't see it as a contradiction cause certain people are ready for independence, while others are brown not ready for democracy yet and are better left in the care of more developed nations.  But still.
[close]
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 12:05:44 AM by Mandark »

benjipwns

I think PDark has the accuracy here. But it is twisted in a minor aspect.

There's no reason that blacks and hispanics should vote for the Democrats except for the hostility the GOP shows. (Unless we of course assume that people of a race are all the same.)

I've shown my love for an old Gdub speech, but I do think that's still important. And I have to question why blacks vote lockstep for Democrats. I've read all the explanations, I don't buy it. You aren't relevant if you're lockstep for a party.

The GOP can win if they get 40% hispanic and it's why they dance around immigration. And why Rubio even exists.

Theoretically, say there is a black revolt and they vote 50/50 Repub on social issues, vouchers, etc. Would the Democrats not come running to offer them more than feeble control over their urban centers? What power bloc would they get from bucking the party and saying don't take us for granted?

What do you lose in a cycle?

Himu

We (as in, the majority of blacks in America) vote Democrat because it's something we just do. Our parents are democrats, so when we reach voting age, we vote democrat too. We vote democrat also because the GOP is the anti-thesis to a lot of problems blacks face (ie crippling social programs). Not to say that the Democrats are really that much better, but they're still better in that regard. The GOP give no flying fuck about poor people, and an overwhelmingly amount of blacks are poor. That is why we vote Democrat. Either you are poor, or you have family that is poor (which is every black American, rich, middle, or poor).

The thing about the black vote is that many are socially liberal on programs, but tend to sway towards conservatism on actual issues like gay rights, mostly due to intense religiosity.

There are reasons for voting for Democats, but most of them are legacy reasons, not modern reasons. Of course, they may be able to swing some black conservatives with more exposure to the likes of Herman Cain.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 10:09:10 AM by Stringer Bell »
IYKYK

benjipwns

I know/agreee all that, and I don't reject it as a valid reason for blacks or anyone to vote Democrat and don't even care about arguing that GOP policies are better on this point. (Or anything else policy wise.)

I build off that George W. speech because I think it makes the point that if you vote lockstep for a party, you aren't relevant. The GOP writes off blacks, the Democrats often write off evangelicals despite it once being their base.

The Reagan Democrats were working class whites who did some voting on social issues. If blacks put themselves into play, they matter. Now they get what?

And blacks aren't going to vote GOP just because of a Hermain Cain or JC Watts, everyone gets this I'd think.

Himu

Well, you said there's no reason to vote Democrat, but there's little reason to vote Republican.
IYKYK

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
Sounds like you should send an email to "blacks" so they know what's going on!