Author Topic: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics  (Read 1866797 times)

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics
« Reply #19020 on: September 20, 2012, 04:13:48 PM »
©ZH

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics
« Reply #19021 on: September 20, 2012, 07:47:57 PM »
WDW

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #19022 on: September 21, 2012, 12:11:40 AM »
Iiiiiiinteresting.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/2012/09/bibi_says_sorry.php?ref=fpblg

If Bibi is trying to make nice using back channels (although like the article or whatever says, I find the use of Barak questionable) then I highly doubt we're going to see any Israeli movement on Iran before the election.  Unless this is a ploy.  Which is entirely possible.  But if Netanyahu has resigned himself to another Obama term, it's looking pretty solid.
yar

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #19023 on: September 21, 2012, 12:27:31 AM »
That could be a lot of projection, but it's interesting. I'd love to get Mandark's opinion on the alleged thoughts of his king

Obama was leading on during the week of 911, when Bibi first started popping off, but the lead was mainly the DNC bounce; perhaps he figured it was temporary and we'd go back to the norm soon-ish. Well, Romney fucked that up and it's looking like Obama's race to lose right now. It seems like Bibi has pretty much severed an already weak relationship with Obama due to his comments/behavior though, and even this alleged apology won't change that

There are a lot of people who think a rushed attack on Iran would be a disaster, and wouldn't stall their nuclear ambitions by any long period of time; in fact it might accelerate them.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #19024 on: September 21, 2012, 12:37:29 AM »
That could be a lot of projection, but it's interesting. I'd love to get Mandark's opinion on the alleged thoughts of his king

Wtf?  I'm pretty sure none of the ZOG meetings ended with Bibi being declared supreme leader.  This isn't like when black people got together and elected Tyler Perry as the Alpha Swarth.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #19025 on: September 21, 2012, 12:47:04 AM »

Wtf?  I'm pretty sure none of the ZOG meetings ended with Bibi being declared supreme leader.  This isn't like when black people got together and elected Tyler Perry as the Alpha Swarth.

:rofl :rofl :rofl
yar

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #19026 on: September 21, 2012, 01:01:29 AM »

damn

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #19027 on: September 21, 2012, 01:56:17 AM »
The back-channel was allegedly via Ehud Barak and Rahm Emmanuel, right?

I think it's been obvious that Netanyahu's seen Obama as an obstacle more than a partner, and has had a strategy of trying to pin Obama by influencing domestic US politics and of waiting him out.  The US is always a big figure in Israeli-Palestinian politics, so it's not unheard of to see if you can get a better deal down the road.  A lot of people think that was a factor in Arafat turning down a deal in 2000, cause he figured that Bush would be a traditional GOP realist like his dad and would push Israel for more concessions than Clinton did.

A lot of people feel that Netanyahu's been too blatant in his stealth endorsement of Romney.  Conventional wisdom has been that an Israeli prime minister can not survive having a bad relationship with a US president; Yitzhak Shamir and Netanyahu himself were seen as weakened by their clashes with Bush Sr. and Clinton.  So Bibi was betting that the politics had changed enough that this isn't true anymore and he might not be wrong.  But Ehud Barak has taken pains to praise the current administration and to downplay their disagreements as inevitable friction in an otherwise important relationship.  So if Barak's giving this message, it might be coming from him more than from Netanyahu.

Plus you've got the general context of this.  AIPAC's become more influential in the last couple decades and has allied with fundamentalist Christian groups just as Israel's domestic politics have moved towards the right and hawkishness (fueled by wave of ex-Soviet immigrants after the collapse of the USSR and a higher portion of orthodox Haredim).  As much as both parties pay tribute to the US-Israel alliance, Zionism's becoming less flexible in Israel and more associated with right-wing politics in America.  So maybe Bibi wants to reward the GOP for their devotion, but then he runs the risk of damaging the relationship between the two countries and turning it into more of a relationship with a single party within the US (which traditionally isn't a great way to do diplomacy for obvious reasons).

Also, AIPAC's been waaaaaaaaay more quiet and neutral than Bibi, probably because they understand that opposing a winning presidential candidate 1) means having a sitting president resenting you, and 2) lets everybody know that they don't need your tacit endorsement to win.

tl;dr Netanyahu's an asshole who's probably going to push the boundaries as much as he can, but his strategy doesn't have the support of all or even most Israeli and American Jews, who think he's unnecessarily risking their status with the world's only superpower and their only real ally.

PS  Ironically, the constant barking at Iran from Netanyahu and folks like him have made it so Iran doesn't take their threats seriously anymore.  Good jon, guys.

Oblivion

« Reply #19028 on: September 21, 2012, 05:16:08 AM »

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #19031 on: September 21, 2012, 02:06:33 PM »
Disappointment-ton: Mitt's going to release a summary of his tax returns from 1990-2009, and the lowest effective tax rate he paid was 13.6% (he still not going to show us the long form, though). Harry Reid annihilated, Demoncrats owned.  :'( But still, you know he's having a bad week when he actually wants to steer the topic conversation back to his tax returns.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 02:08:07 PM by Joe Molotov® EDGE™ »
©@©™

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #19032 on: September 21, 2012, 02:13:50 PM »
It was a nice bluff by Reid.  Vastly preferable to reflexively caving and hand wringing as per the usual for Democrats.
🍆🍆

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #19033 on: September 21, 2012, 03:15:50 PM »
©ZH

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #19034 on: September 21, 2012, 03:23:53 PM »
It was a nice bluff by Reid.  Vastly preferable to reflexively caving and hand wringing as per the usual for Democrats.

Depends on if you believe the "summary" lol. I want to see if he payed anything in 2009, or whether he was apart of that tax amnesty deal. I also want to know how much income tax he has paid. Considering he makes his money off financial transactions and is subject to capital gains taxes, I wouldn't be surprised at all if he hasn't payed income taxes at least once before

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #19035 on: September 21, 2012, 03:50:45 PM »
Wasn't Reid's original comment about INCOME taxes

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #19036 on: September 21, 2012, 03:55:29 PM »
If Romney had taken all his deductions, he wd have paid closer to 9% tax in 2011. He paid extra VOLUNTARILY just for optics.
https://twitter.com/froomkin/status/249205362404782080

"Frankly, if I had paid more than are legally due, I don't think I'd be qualified to become president," he said. "I'd think people would want me to follow the law and pay only what the tax code requires."
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/transcript-david-muir-interview-mitt-romney/story?id=16881787&page=2#.UFzGHK6J6iC

:rofl

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19037 on: September 21, 2012, 05:13:00 PM »
If Romney had taken all his deductions, he wd have paid closer to 9% tax in 2011. He paid extra VOLUNTARILY just for optics.
https://twitter.com/froomkin/status/249205362404782080

"Frankly, if I had paid more than are legally due, I don't think I'd be qualified to become president," he said. "I'd think people would want me to follow the law and pay only what the tax code requires."
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/transcript-david-muir-interview-mitt-romney/story?id=16881787&page=2#.UFzGHK6J6iC

:rofl

And he can amend those tax returns next year after he wins/loses!
dog

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #19038 on: September 22, 2012, 03:04:11 PM »
Today I found out from my parents that they are planning on firing all of their employees (they currently have 3 I believe) before the end of this year if Romney doesn't win the election and because of "Taxmageddon".

I really don't know what to make of this because A) I don't know how much my parents make from their Chiropractic practice (I've asked before but I always get rather vague answers) and B) I don't know how much money they've accumulated because of the Bush Tax cuts and how much they are going to lose once those expire.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 03:14:14 PM by Atramental »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19039 on: September 22, 2012, 03:25:03 PM »
Can someone give me brief rundown on the doomsday scenario known as "Taxmageddon" and why we're all supposed to be living in fear of it?
dog

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
"A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics
« Reply #19040 on: September 22, 2012, 03:40:55 PM »
Employers are going to have to offer somekind of healthcare package for all employees although I think you have to be over a certain size.

I think some businesses could be hurt but not the doomsday that some people are predicting.
dur

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #19041 on: September 22, 2012, 03:48:17 PM »
My parents consider themselves "Reagan Republicans" if that tells you anything.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #19042 on: September 22, 2012, 06:13:12 PM »
Employers are going to have to offer somekind of healthcare package for all employees although I think you have to be over a certain size.

I think some businesses could be hurt but not the doomsday that some people are predicting.

That doesn't have to do with the tax issue. Under Obamacare companies with 50 or more employees will have to provide health care - that will not impact businesses with three employees, such as Atramentals' parents

The Jan 1st tax situation is that the Bush tax cuts expire and the sequestration cuts go into effect. Which means everyone's income taxes go up, and large defense cuts will lead to many defense contractors/employees losing jobs. I'd imagine the Bush tax cuts will  be renewed to a degree, so I wouldn't worry about that. I also believe the defense cuts will be overturned given the special interests involved.

I have no idea why a chiropractic practice would be concerned about this - unless it's in Virginia and has many defense contractors as patients

Oblivion

« Reply #19043 on: September 23, 2012, 12:08:38 AM »
My parents consider themselves "Reagan Republicans" if that tells you anything.

It doesn't.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19044 on: September 23, 2012, 12:11:35 AM »
Yes, Bill, the internet is influencing the election. BY PROVIDING PEOPLE WITH NEWS OUTLETS THAT CUT THROUGH ALL THE BULL YOUR NETWORK SPEWS ON A CONSTANT BASIS.
dog

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #19045 on: September 23, 2012, 12:12:20 AM »
Fox News: "it is now possible to live in an alternate universe. To avoid reality."

*insert joke here*
©@©™

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #19046 on: September 23, 2012, 12:13:08 AM »
god, fuck that man.  PD should be ashamed to even considering APOLOGIZING for him.

Stewart is going to murder him in that debate.
püp

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #19047 on: September 23, 2012, 01:02:57 AM »
Jon Stewart gets owned every time he tries to seriously debate someone

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #19048 on: September 23, 2012, 01:03:45 AM »
Didn't Stewart toast O'Reilly on the whole Common thing?

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #19049 on: September 23, 2012, 01:49:41 AM »

His ideas are sound but he wont go far enough. It's like he limits his ether so he can still play it like he's just the silly joke man.

It feels more like him using being a comedian as his fall back crutch to me, like "hey I'm just a funny guy, nevermind!" Reminds me of how Drake pulls the "hey, I'm just a young guy getting money" card after he gets called out for acting tough

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #19050 on: September 23, 2012, 08:21:28 AM »

Ask the hosts of Crossfire if that's true or not.

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #19051 on: September 23, 2012, 08:42:55 AM »
And that CNBC guy.

Only time I remember Stewart clearly having a hard time when he was really trying to go after someone in an interview was with that Bush-era Justice department lawyer guy.  That guy lawyered his way out of whatever Jon threw at him and Jon was clearly flustered.
MMA

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #19052 on: September 23, 2012, 10:27:13 AM »
The Jan 1st tax situation is that the Bush tax cuts expire and the sequestration cuts go into effect. Which means everyone's income taxes go up, and large defense cuts will lead to many defense contractors/employees losing jobs. I'd imagine the Bush tax cuts will  be renewed to a degree, so I wouldn't worry about that. I also believe the defense cuts will be overturned given the special interests involved.

I really really really hope so... pretty worried about this especially now that I have a mortgage :P
^_^

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #19053 on: September 23, 2012, 11:04:48 AM »
I don't think anyone should be worried, the Bush tax cuts will most likely be extended and the defense budget will be left unmolested.

I wouldn't be surprised if more people get laid off due to the threat of higher taxes.  Millions of people were laid off due to the bullshit about economic uncertainty, in spite of year over year profit increases.  Any excuse to lay off people and force the remaining to work more hours and it will be done.  7-9 percent unemployment is going to be the new normal, best get used to it.

Oh and the debate is Jon's to lose.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 11:08:20 AM by The Experiment »
🍆🍆

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #19054 on: September 23, 2012, 01:40:32 PM »

dude you're a joke  :lol
püp

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #19056 on: September 23, 2012, 06:57:50 PM »
The insiders have gotten a good whiff of Romney and he smells like loserville. Time to cut losses.
©@©™

Oblivion

« Reply #19057 on: September 23, 2012, 08:00:45 PM »
The insiders have gotten a good whiff of Romney and he smells like loserville. Time to cut losses.

https://twitter.com/RIFSnobs/status/250020344117735424

Oblivion

« Reply #19058 on: September 23, 2012, 08:46:53 PM »
Also too, yet another early Christmas (Ramadan?) present:

https://twitter.com/samsteinhp/status/250021093539201024

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #19059 on: September 23, 2012, 09:18:19 PM »

...bwahahahahahahaaha
yar

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19060 on: September 23, 2012, 09:58:05 PM »
-4 years of anti-Obama rhetoric and fear-mongering by the combined might of some of the most powerful and effective propaganda machines in the world
-2 years of concerted effort by the GOP to block any attempt by the Democrats to get this country going again
-Sustained economic woes that still haven't been fully fixed
-Political instability around the world

And people STILL don't want Romney! :lol
dog

« Reply #19062 on: September 23, 2012, 11:56:51 PM »

I've been offline most of the weekend, so I was going to ask if Romney did anything stupid this weekend, but I just got my answer. Thanks!
野球

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #19063 on: September 24, 2012, 12:06:38 AM »
PPP: Obama leads 51 - 45 in Colorado.

up 5 in Ohio
http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20120923/NEWS010601/309230026&Ref=AR

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #19064 on: September 24, 2012, 12:20:22 AM »
In the immortal words of Winston Wolff, let's not start sucking each other's dicks just yet. 

I personally think Obama will win no matter what at this point, barring something like an actual Whitey tape being released, or unless he tries to bring back the afro.  Obviously, the Senate still hangs in the balance, but is looking more favorable to be retained post-Akin/47%.  The House is the real prize.  Can the dems get it?  Fuck if I know.  I know the polls SHOULD tighten up a bit between now and election day.  I say should, but Mitt Romney is the gift that keeps on giving.  He has to debate the President 3 times, and ye olde Zombie Eyed Granny Starver has to debate Uncle Joe once.

I want a landslide.  I want to demoralize these fuckers.  I want their spirits broken, their eyes downcast and their daughters sold into sex-slavery.  I want Goldwater-esque gnashing of teeth after this election.  Then I want them to freak the fuck out EVEN MORE when Obama tries to do something after the election so the the non-absolutely batshitfuckinginsane portion of the country (2/3 or whatever) can see what we're dealing with and send these fucktards to a time out until they learn how to sit at the dinner table without shitting their pants that a black dude is sitting at the head of the table and GUESS WHAT, he's parcelling out the dinner in a fair manner.  No little Mitch, you don't get to have your pudding before you eat your meat.  No little Boehner, you don't get to stick your dick in the mashed potatoes without a spanking.  Tough shit, come back when you're willing to be a normal person.

I mean, it won't happen but it's nice to dream, right?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 12:22:13 AM by Creepy Old Guy »
yar

Oblivion

« Reply #19065 on: September 24, 2012, 12:24:51 AM »
I personally think Obama will win no matter what at this point, barring something like an actual Whitey tape being released, or unless he tries to bring back the afro.

My biggest concern at the moment is the voter ID shit, specifically in Pennsylvania. Obama's curb stomping him in that state, so this wouldn't necessarily be a concern if it wasn't for the fact that this would make 7 MILLION people ineligible to vote, and that COULD help out Romney massively.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #19066 on: September 24, 2012, 12:33:33 AM »
Isn't there still an outstanding court appeal in PA though?  I think shit like this will be enough to take it down from "curbstomping" to just "crushing defeat" territory, which is still fine by me.
yar

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #19067 on: September 24, 2012, 12:49:59 AM »
Obviously anything can happen - the financial sector was crashing this time four years ago, changing everything. But right no Romney needs a major event simply to tie this race. Looking at that Colorado poll shows Obama is tying him with white voters - while crushing him among black and Hispanic voters. There's no way for Romney to win that state if those numbers hold.

Then you have Romney cratering in Ohio, losing Wisconsin after the Ryan bump, and losing Virginia. Again if those numbers hold there's no way he can win.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #19068 on: September 24, 2012, 02:00:51 AM »

This man is running for president of the United States

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #19069 on: September 24, 2012, 03:03:40 AM »

Ramadan was actually in July this year (it goes back 2 weeks every year since it's on the lunar calendar).

Anyways, it always seems like he drops a gaffe right as the week is starting.

Himu

« Reply #19070 on: September 24, 2012, 04:27:28 AM »
MAURICE

:rofl :rofl :rofl
IYKYK

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #19071 on: September 24, 2012, 07:24:45 AM »
In the immortal words of Winston Wolff, let's not start sucking each other's dicks just yet. 

I personally think Obama will win no matter what at this point, barring something like an actual Whitey tape being released, or unless he tries to bring back the afro.  Obviously, the Senate still hangs in the balance, but is looking more favorable to be retained post-Akin/47%.  The House is the real prize.  Can the dems get it?  Fuck if I know.  I know the polls SHOULD tighten up a bit between now and election day.  I say should, but Mitt Romney is the gift that keeps on giving.  He has to debate the President 3 times, and ye olde Zombie Eyed Granny Starver has to debate Uncle Joe once.

I want a landslide.  I want to demoralize these fuckers.  I want their spirits broken, their eyes downcast and their daughters sold into sex-slavery.  I want Goldwater-esque gnashing of teeth after this election.  Then I want them to freak the fuck out EVEN MORE when Obama tries to do something after the election so the the non-absolutely batshitfuckinginsane portion of the country (2/3 or whatever) can see what we're dealing with and send these fucktards to a time out until they learn how to sit at the dinner table without shitting their pants that a black dude is sitting at the head of the table and GUESS WHAT, he's parcelling out the dinner in a fair manner.  No little Mitch, you don't get to have your pudding before you eat your meat.  No little Boehner, you don't get to stick your dick in the mashed potatoes without a spanking.  Tough shit, come back when you're willing to be a normal person.

This post reminds me of the first few dozen pages of this thread when everyone assumed that the Democrats would enter into this permanent supermajority because Reaganomics were roundly denounced by the public and the GOP looked to Rush Limbaugh for leadership out of sheer despair.

It's fun to dream but the GOP will be as obnoxious and shitty as ever whether they win or lose.
🍆🍆

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #19072 on: September 24, 2012, 08:04:46 AM »

You know, for a man who has essentially done nothing else in the past eight years but running for President, he REALLY sucks at it.
MMA

« Reply #19073 on: September 24, 2012, 12:14:09 PM »

It won't matter even if Obama wins in a landslide (which I doubt will happen). They'll just complain that Romney wasn't conservative enough.
野球

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #19074 on: September 24, 2012, 01:07:13 PM »
That video is so absurd. You can totally hide being black.

Oh and I love the paintings in the background.

DOMINATING THE NEW CYCLE
___

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #19075 on: September 24, 2012, 01:24:13 PM »
That video is so absurd. You can totally hide being black.

Oh and I love the paintings in the background.

DOMINATING THE NEW CYCLE

so bummed they didn't release new videos for this election

Trurl

« Reply #19076 on: September 24, 2012, 02:40:31 PM »

You know, for a man who has essentially done nothing else in the past eight years but running for President, he REALLY sucks at it.
Without having Clintonian levels of charisma, I don't see how he could have better responded to the question without adopting a less odious position (or at least lying about his position).

Republicans have made being comfortable with extreme inequality a sign of intellectual maturity.

Beezy

« Reply #19077 on: September 24, 2012, 06:02:28 PM »
http://gawker.com/5945967/romney-doesnt-know-why-airplane-windows-wont-open-calls-the-closed-window-policy-a-real-problem

"When you have a fire in an aircraft, there's no place to go, exactly, there's no - and you can't find any oxygen from outside the aircraft to get in the aircraft, because the windows don't open. I don't know why they don't do that. It's a real problem. So it's very dangerous."

This isn't real, is it? It can't be.

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #19078 on: September 24, 2012, 06:21:16 PM »
he should watch the end of Goldfinger again
Tonya

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #19079 on: September 24, 2012, 06:31:16 PM »
thank you, based internet

http://lucilleandmitt.tumblr.com/
Tonya