Author Topic: What book(s) are you reading?  (Read 679601 times)

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
Re: What book(s) are you reading?
« Reply #2520 on: June 19, 2016, 05:11:12 PM »
Finished 2 books

The Fold by Peter Clines 
plot is basically about a teleportation door that scientists make with quantum fuckery.  it works 99% of the time the other 1% ppl come out mutated.
so they hire this main character w photographic memory to solve this shit.
spoiler (click to show/hide)
it uses parallel worlds so when you go through you arent just teleporting but also going to another slightly different multiverse.
Ending gets too weird for me. Cthulu alien type shit, makes sense but it feels thrown in after 2/3rd of a normalish book imo.
[close]
Lots of pop culture references in this book.

Beacon 23 by Hugh Howey

Hyperspace is a thing so NASA makes some "Beacon" stations to warn ships in hyperspace they are about to slam into space rocks and die horribly. The story is about a space war vet who live alone on Beacon 23. he has a talking Rock(?)
This book is pretty awesome not gonna lie.
It reminded me of Enders Game in places. I teared up a bit at points. Very short book, but highly recommend.
萌え~

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
serge

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #2522 on: June 22, 2016, 10:51:21 AM »
You know those Kickstarted videogame books with the minimal covers? There's 10 of them and they got books for Metal Gear Solid, Super Mario Bros 2, Chrono Trigger, Shadow of the Colossus.

They're all different in their approach so it's hard to know if any of them will be interesting. I picked up two, Metal Gear Solid which is written by Anthony and Ashly Burch. This one is written as a combination of analyzing the plot, mechanics, and themes of the game and also offering personal anecdotes from the Burch's childhood. It's definitely got their personality all over it so keep that in mind.

The second is the Spelunky book which is written by the creator of the game Derek Yu. This one is MUCH more interesting as it's a postmortum on the game and it's creator. It talks about the development of Spelunky, his past games, the challenges of  getting a game on XBLA, the average sales and then the latter PC and PSN entries. He also frequently discusses his opinions on game design and modern games which is fun.
nat

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
🍆🍆

TVC15

« Reply #2524 on: June 24, 2016, 02:51:27 PM »
Only like 50 pages in, but it's really good so far.
serge

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #2525 on: July 04, 2016, 01:33:18 PM »
Reading that book, was there ever a time when England wasn't a miserable festering shithole?  Serious question.
🍆🍆

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #2526 on: July 04, 2016, 01:48:55 PM »
Reading that book, was there ever a time when England wasn't a miserable festering shithole?  Serious question.

Maybe before the Roman Empire came and made the Druids stop doing Druid stuff all the time?

Note: I don't know what Druid stuff is, but it was probably p. cool.
©@©™

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2527 on: July 04, 2016, 10:58:33 PM »
 I just finished Fool Moon the second book of many by Jim Butcher about that urban wizard who is a chauvinist and Luddite. I don't understand why so many of my friends like this series. I struggled through two books,  The nicest thing I can say is that the author seems to be mildly aware of both problematic elements, despite its Mary Sue-Ness.

I also just finished David Wong's science fiction novel, fancy suits and futuristic violence. It's better written than John dies at the end, but not quite as gonzo, creative, and risky.

Freyj

« Reply #2528 on: July 04, 2016, 11:04:17 PM »
Keep at it with Dresden. I tried for years and years without success to get through those early books on strong suggestions from people whose opinions I trusted. Butcher's writing generally improves as the stories improve. Summer Knight was probably the first one I can honestly say I enjoyed.

I mean it's always going to be a little schlocky, but it's such good schlock.

TVC15

« Reply #2529 on: July 09, 2016, 03:44:10 AM »
Been poking through The Changing Light at Sandover a second time. Something about this book really gets me.
serge

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2530 on: July 09, 2016, 09:25:05 AM »
Finished Midnight Tides last night.  So damn good.

Freyj

« Reply #2531 on: July 09, 2016, 01:56:03 PM »
I made it halfway through Midnight Tides the last time I tried 5 or 6 years ago, now I'm about 75% through Deadhouse Gates again. I swear to christ I will finish this series this time.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #2532 on: July 09, 2016, 02:34:18 PM »
throw Malazan in the bushes and read The Black Company instead.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #2533 on: July 09, 2016, 02:38:45 PM »
Some Borean once sent me some Dresden books for Secret Santa and I enjoyed them then, just a simple trashy noir detective

Malazan is trash though like wheels of time

Freyj

« Reply #2534 on: July 09, 2016, 03:12:51 PM »
At least Erikson finished the series before he died unlike Jordan and Martin.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2535 on: July 09, 2016, 03:19:22 PM »
Next person to piss on Malazan gets a black eye and a piss emoticon. 

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2536 on: July 09, 2016, 04:17:26 PM »
Youre better of reading an actual history book then malazan

Read the first law trilogy

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2537 on: July 09, 2016, 04:28:40 PM »
:piss2

Ah now I see Malazan is too mentally demanding for you.  There is no shame in that.  I, on the other hand, can read both Malazan and history books along with your easy reading suggestions. 

Your black eye is in the mail.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2538 on: July 09, 2016, 04:37:24 PM »
Its not too demanding, its just a waste of time. Nothing happens but you end up with the density of an actual history book.

I already have a degree in history.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2539 on: July 09, 2016, 05:05:51 PM »
History aint got 4 meter tall raptors with swords for arms. 

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2540 on: July 09, 2016, 05:07:52 PM »
how many hundreds thousands of pages did you read for that

be honest

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2541 on: July 09, 2016, 05:16:40 PM »
Only 3000 or so. 

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2542 on: July 09, 2016, 05:20:50 PM »
First Law trilogy
:rejoice

Sand dan Glokta>>>>any boring cardboard super hero in Malazan

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #2543 on: July 09, 2016, 06:54:01 PM »
There's a scene in I want to say Deadhouse Gates where they're traveling across a desert and run into some nomadic horsemen and one of the characters, who's an academic already familiar with these particular people of course, does some elaborate meeting ritual and Erickson caps it all off with an "as was custom" :dead. The pretentious density is the entire point of Malazan. The differences between it and The Black Company are in degree, not kind. They're both grimdark imaginings of conventional fantasy settings, not all that dissimilar from The Witcher*.

An interesting thing about Malazan is that, for all of the world-building, the world itself doesn't feel big in the same way that say, Arda does. Big in scope, to be sure and there's plenty of shit in it, but part of what makes Middle Earth work is all the shit that Tolkien didn't say about it. The Silmarillion feels like the Bible in that there are a bunch of alien geometries and spatial/temporal ambiguities you just can't square away if you go in with the attitude that everything on the map in the appendix is a 1 for 1 representation of the proverbial thing-in-the-world**. It's why "The West" works as arc words: you're not literally going in a cardinal direction -iirc, he explicitly laid out that if you did, you still wouldn't reach Aman- you're passing a threshold from this world to a far green country with white shores and a swift sunrise. The West is a promise after death. You can do that in fantasy, you can imagine time and space differently. I think that's one of the strongest points in favor of it as a genre and it's why I feel confident in drawing a lineage between Tolkien and works like Beowulf which, for obvious reasons, don't share our modernist sympathies. A lot of contemporary fantasy stuff substitutes our world for one with elves, swords and dragons but keeps intact the assumption that everything is ontologically stable (Magic A is Magic A), and a fair amount of it works just fine -Sanderson and GRRM come to mind. But I also think a lot of it misses the boat (:teehee) on what made the genre so compelling to begin with (for me, at least).

*I've never read them but afaik, Sapkowski deconstructs public domain folk and fairy tales more than post-Tolkien/D&D mass market novels which makes those books a little bit different.

**I have never read Heidegger either :expert

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2544 on: July 09, 2016, 08:22:12 PM »
One of my favorite Rothfuss quotes was at a Comic Con panel with him alongside GRRM, Diana Gabaldon, and Joe Abercrombie. He was basically saying that because of LOTR/Tolkien's influence a lot of fantasy writers redo various shit "just because" Tolkien did it. World maps/size and languages being one of the biggest offenders. He pointed out Tolkien was a linguist and was also well versed on geography. Most fantasy writers aren't either. So his advice was to instead geek out on something you actually give a shit about. In his case, currency.

GRRM has mentioned that before in terms of fans expecting Tolkien type shit, wanting a complete world map for instance. It's like people don't want any mystery, and certainly no "there be dragons" explanation for why a complete world map doesn't exist for a medieval fantasy world.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2545 on: July 09, 2016, 09:15:10 PM »
One of my favorite Rothfuss quotes was at a Comic Con panel with him alongside GRRM, Diana Gabaldon, and Joe Abercrombie. He was basically saying that because of LOTR/Tolkien's influence a lot of fantasy writers redo various shit "just because" Tolkien did it. World maps/size and languages being one of the biggest offenders. He pointed out Tolkien was a linguist and was also well versed on geography. Most fantasy writers aren't either. So his advice was to instead geek out on something you actually give a shit about. In his case, currency.

GRRM has mentioned that before in terms of fans expecting Tolkien type shit, wanting a complete world map for instance. It's like people don't want any mystery, and certainly no "there be dragons" explanation for why a complete world map doesn't exist for a medieval fantasy world.

And Erikson's is anthropology/archeology.  You know knowing about ancient unknowable peoples and how, now, non-existant cultures lived and differ from each other.

But geeking out about coins is cool too.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2546 on: July 09, 2016, 09:16:14 PM »

And Erikson's is anthropology/archeology.  You know knowing about ancient unknowable peoples and how, now, non-existant cultures lived and differ from each other.

But geeking out about coins is cool too.

Kara hold me
:brazilcry

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2547 on: July 09, 2016, 09:23:12 PM »
Kara doesn't exactly strike me as an emotional support kind of e-friend. 
spoiler (click to show/hide)
He's too busy peddling a French bike to care.
[close]

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2548 on: July 10, 2016, 01:39:28 AM »
Maybe rotfuss can effin finish the last book though

Freyj

« Reply #2549 on: July 10, 2016, 02:59:16 PM »
after the last one I don't know how much I really care

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2550 on: July 10, 2016, 03:35:11 PM »
well that main guy is so annoying

bluemax

« Reply #2551 on: July 10, 2016, 03:41:38 PM »

Let's be honest though, George just said this because he's lazy and has no idea what any of it should be and it would take him 30 years and 500 tons of queso to figure it out.

Speaking of his rotundness, I recently read that he had been influenced heavily by Tad Williams Sorrow/Memory/Thorn trilogy which I read as a kid and barely remembered so I decided to start reading again. I was kind of surprised to find what I thought was a GURM nonsense word in Nuncle early on. Also the High King has a Hand of the King.
NO

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #2552 on: July 11, 2016, 03:41:39 AM »

Only about 60% through did I look at the back of the book and realize that it's not only from a regular writer for The Nation, but actually published by The Nation. Explains so many questions about the treatment I had in the first few chapters.

Nothing necessarily wrong, but more the tone and focus on stuff, like describing rooms of white men in the style suits of the time type of thing. Constantly describing only certain people as "smarmy" and "selfish" and so on while others are made to look naive they're treated as caught so off guard by the machinations of evil fancy suit types.

I like the sectioning, though some of it is odd, I've noticed too many books lately will just plow through a time period (like "the 1920s") for a chapter without labeling the actually different topic sections within.

Anyway, apparently rich and powerful people have been up to some shenanigans over the last few decades. Somebody needs to tell them to cut it out.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2553 on: July 11, 2016, 11:35:51 AM »
©@©™

benjipwns

« Reply #2554 on: July 11, 2016, 07:54:18 PM »
Remembered the other thing about the banker book I wanted to. It's that now progressive style history. It starts in 1905 and everything ever is only in and because of the United States, especially all global events. Banker families that dominated Mediterranean Trade and were actual originators of many of the practices described as being created in the 1920s and 2000s? Huh? What? Europe at all? It had two wars during the 20th century. Asian market collapse in the late 1990s? Happened but here's fifty pages about the REPEAL OF GLASS-STEAGALL causing ENRON and also twice as many pages about Bill Clinton being impeached as the Asian collapse and the Euro together. Oh and it was probably actually all caused by NASDAQ.

It would help if it was less scattershot and stuck to the "President's bankers" theme instead of constant drifting into the "here's how the Big Six Banks caused everything in the last hundred years" theme.

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #2555 on: July 11, 2016, 09:28:38 PM »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2556 on: July 11, 2016, 09:36:23 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Great book. Too bad about Simmons' descent into New Caliphate hallucinations.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #2557 on: July 14, 2016, 04:05:50 PM »
There are only so many frontiers, man. No use getting depressed over it.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2558 on: July 14, 2016, 05:31:09 PM »
Talked to my dad today on the phone and he is reading Malazan  :lol

He is on Chains something now and said "its really getting good now" thats some half praise after 3000 pages

I ordered the Blade Itself for him online while we were on the phone to save his soul
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 02:29:16 AM by Premium Lager »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2559 on: July 14, 2016, 07:03:25 PM »
Started The Quantum Thief by Hannu Rajaniemi. I am enjoying the ride but I have very little idea what the hell is going on. Lots of social and political references to the book's social structures are used casually, likely with more context to follow -- but apparently if I had a more broad understanding of Europe's relationship to the former Soviet Union I would have a more intrinsic understanding already.

edit: Ah, I am far from alone in my reaction:
Criticism for the novel has generally centred on Rajaniemi's sparse "show, don't tell" writing style. Brown notes that "the author makes no concessions to the lazy reader with info-dumps or convenient explanations." Niall Alexander, of the Speculative Scotsman, states that "had there been some sort of index, [he] would have gladly (and repeatedly) referred to it during the mind-boggling first third of The Quantum Thief", while proclaiming the novel to be "the sci-fi debut of 2010."
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 07:45:09 PM by chronovore »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2560 on: July 14, 2016, 10:44:56 PM »
Half way though bonehunters in 4 days.  OMG that Y'Ghatan chapter

benjipwns

« Reply #2561 on: July 20, 2016, 08:56:29 AM »

Was quite good, but ESPN posted way too many excerpts I read. Also, it oddly skips over whole classes of high school entrants. Darius Miles for example doesn't even get mentioned in the book IIRC. (Doubly odd since Abrams apparently was a former Clippers beat writer.)

I'd argue he was the first real HS "bust" in that his immaturity derailed his career because he refused to work on his game, focused on the money, etc. Leon Smith had mental issues and Bender had injury issues.

It also doesn't really hit on some of the last two class members like Kendrick Perkins, Shaun Livingston, Al Jefferson, Josh Smith, etc. who carved out successful careers, made All-Star teams, made incredible comebacks and altered their games, etc. It more or less stops at Kwame and the Baby Bulls while only briefly touching on Dwight. Other than the LeBron coverage obviously.

He seems to suggest that the Pacers-Pistons brawl was the catalyst for the age limit.

Would have been interesting to see the book at least grapple some with the one-and-done phenomenon that replaced it at arguably a larger level than HS draftees ever were. Also the roughly equivalent international explosion. It started at the same time and many of the players were not any older. Dirk would have been the same "class" as Rashard Lewis and Al Harrington had they gone to college.

Also, the new/feared trend of bypassing college for Europe/D-League like Brandon Jennings, Mudiay, etc. Jeremy Tyler skipping his junior year of high school.

But I'm being a bit harsh probably because it started off very well but the end of the book is really quite a let down. And also it made me think about all the detailed garbage I'd write that nobody would want to read.

One thing I didn't know was that Kobe was determined to come out well before KG did, and was actually upset he didn't get to be the first modern high schooler and KG had not only taken that away but also encouraged others like Jermaine O'Neal to come out the same year.

Both Tyson Chandler and Tracy McGrady were distrustful of the "movers and shakers" that latched onto them early and got them into camps and stuff but figured they would be easy to dispose of...and they did. :lol McGrady gave his original two agents/management/handlers/etc. (who had gotten him into the ACBD camps, private prep school, etc. when he was a nobody in late 1996) roughly $100,000 of his rookie contract and had ditched them well before he signed with Orlando.

Isiah Thomas considered drafting both KG and Kobe if he had the chance but was afraid all the garbage veterans he had picked up in the expansion draft would ruin them. Considering Alvin Robertson and Oliver Miller were both on the inaugural Raptors roster that was probably a good move.

Also, the teams were setting up all these programs and networks for overseeing the kids but they punted it to the league to handle after the age limit came in. As if one semester of college does much. :lol

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2562 on: July 20, 2016, 09:18:47 AM »
I'm finishing reading Ilf & Petrov "Letters from America" that they wrote on a official trip organized by the USSR in 1935. There's a lot of good snippets to quote there, as they went from NY to SF then Hollywood before coming back through the South meeting along the way the people at the Edison labs, Ford and assisted to congressional hearings (with banker Morgan) and a press conference by FDR... But I am let down, to be honest. The sizable foreword provides context for the trip, the political climate in the USSR, why they were chosen, how their driver (a former GE engineer and his wife) was in fact a Lettonian working for Soviet intelligence, how censorship  the "plot holes" in Ilf & Petrov reporting which suggest Ilf never contracted the illness he officially dead from later on or that the two authors were maybe used to some intelligence missions on the side... It's all much more meaty than the letters themselves.  :-\

I have a ton of small Russian and Soviet novels to go through, thanks to the library in the city I moved in.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 01:00:28 PM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

Beezy

« Reply #2563 on: July 20, 2016, 12:07:29 PM »
The Sellout by Paul Beatty

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2564 on: July 22, 2016, 11:41:06 PM »
Finished Bonehunters.  Gonna read Night of Knives next. 

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #2565 on: July 23, 2016, 10:35:12 PM »
🍆🍆

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #2566 on: July 23, 2016, 10:38:33 PM »
I have a ton of small Russian and Soviet novels to go through, thanks to the library in the city I moved in.

Keep us updated as to what you are reading.  I really enjoy books about Russia and the USSR.
🍆🍆

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2567 on: July 24, 2016, 02:22:54 AM »

Keep us updated as to what you are reading.  I really enjoy books about Russia and the USSR.

Will do. I grabbed Pauline Sachs which apparently made an impression a Dostoïevski, a twisted romantic tale of a man  letting his young wife live with a more fiery rival under the condition he must make her happy, a Boulgakov novel about Molière and The inhabited island by Strougatski brothers (A friend also borrowed me Stalker and should finish Hard to be a god soon).

From the Strougatskis I already read Tale of the Troika and Definitely maybe and I really liked that. The dry, elliptic writing style combined with some of the rather high concept science fiction and sometimes surrealist turns works really well. Maybe that's an outsider perspective, but you also can't miss the soviet perspective in those tales of all controlling, sometimes absurdly bureautractic societies and it reinforces the otherness of the worlds presented throughout.
ὕβρις

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2568 on: August 10, 2016, 07:15:45 PM »
http://io9.gizmodo.com/ask-sci-fi-legend-william-gibson-where-the-heck-he-thin-1784987666

io9 hosted a Q&A session for William Gibson. A sadly very brief read, but some good insight to his process.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2569 on: August 15, 2016, 12:22:43 PM »
halfway though reaper's gale.  Damn good.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #2570 on: August 15, 2016, 12:38:06 PM »
I'm in the habit now where I alternate between reading five or six books instead of reading and finishing them one at a time.
🍆🍆

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2571 on: August 17, 2016, 08:53:51 PM »
Finished Reaper's Gale.  :(

Going to do return of the crimson guard next.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2572 on: August 23, 2016, 10:40:34 AM »
Just finished The Quantum Thief, which I'd heard a good deal about and had been looking forward to for ages.

I have almost no idea of what happened, except the very end involving entirely new characters, and was a setup for the second book in the series.

The book was rich with good ideas, but some syntactic conceits used in text didn't translate to the audiobook and left me at a loss.

benjipwns

« Reply #2573 on: August 31, 2016, 03:14:14 AM »

very quite good, it's not a Teddy lovefest like normal, which is great because he's a more interesting figure (and gasp...actual politician) than the worshipped apolitical all-principled demigod McCain and others write of him as

couldn't help but find some parallels to the recent primaries with Sanders (running against the Party he wanted to control) and Trump (all sorts of stops trying to be pulled out to derail a candidate who kept winning over the electorate) also stuff like the media hyping a hopefully contested conventions, campaign staff shuffles leading to cries of selling out, a movement (womens suffrage in this case) heckling the "progressive" candidate for their lack of interest in the issue*, a single issue becoming a strange litmus test (in this case referendums overturning judicial decisions), etc.

really goes into a lot of detail about BEFORE TR split off to run his own party which is where a lot of history of this campaign has always seemed to START (or well, start at the GOP convention which led to the split) and i find the pregame jockeying of the pre-1972 era to be one of the more interesting aspects of it, yet it's rarely covered in campaign histories

also love all the old fun bullshit from back in the day, Teddy's team bends over backwards to manufacture a "draft" for himself after La Follette starts getting traction as a challenger to Taft (much like Eugene McCarthy against LBJ...which let Robert Kennedy jump in) since you couldn't be seen as wanting it back then (FDR later did something similar for his third term attempt) and then later they claim that his phone and telegraph are being tapped by Taft which is why he has to head to Chicago for the Convention (back then candidates, who were not delegates at least, didn't head to the convention in person...something FDR also broke tradition on) with the goal of basically trying to get the delegates to switch to him by his merely appearing

and in even more parallels with today, all sorts of people who were basically just taking money from TR's bankrollers and not actually accomplishing anything for the campaign or even being detrimental to the efforts, all the while everyone refused to tell TR anything he wouldn't want to hear and he stuck to his own friendly media bubble

*TR felt that women shouldn't be forced to vote as it was beneath their gender to get involved in politics and suffrage would force them to vote for some reason...Taft apparently didn't think it needed a constitutional amendment

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2574 on: August 31, 2016, 09:30:47 AM »
Reading Providence has got me stoked for the Alan Moore's new book.

Fierce in its imagining and stupefying in its scope, Jerusalem is the tale of everything, told from a vanished gutter.

In the epic novel Jerusalem, Alan Moore channels both the ecstatic visions of William Blake and the theoretical physics of Albert Einstein through the hardscrabble streets and alleys of his hometown of Northampton, UK. In the half a square mile of decay and demolition that was England’s Saxon capital, eternity is loitering between the firetrap housing projects. Embedded in the grubby amber of the district’s narrative among its saints, kings, prostitutes, and derelicts, a different kind of human time is happening, a soiled simultaneity that does not differentiate between the petrol-colored puddles and the fractured dreams of those who navigate them.

Employing, a kaleidoscope of literary forms and styles that ranges from brutal social realism to extravagant children’s fantasy, from the modern stage drama to the extremes of science fiction, Jerusalem’s dizzyingly rich cast of characters includes the living, the dead, the celestial, and the infernal in an intricately woven tapestry that presents a vision of an absolute and timeless human reality in all of its exquisite, comical, and heartbreaking splendor.

In these pages lurk demons from the second-century Book of Tobit and angels with golden blood who reduce fate to a snooker tournament. Vagrants, prostitutes, and ghosts rub shoulders with Oliver Cromwell, Samuel Beckett, James Joyce’s tragic daughter Lucia, and Buffalo Bill, among many others. There is a conversation in the thunderstruck dome of St. Paul’s Cathedral, childbirth on the cobblestones of Lambeth Walk, an estranged couple sitting all night on the cold steps of a Gothic church front, and an infant choking on a cough drop for eleven chapters. An art exhibition is in preparation, and above the world a naked old man and a beautiful dead baby race along the Attics of the Breath toward the heat death of the universe.

An opulent mythology for those without a pot to piss in, through the labyrinthine streets and pages of Jerusalem tread ghosts that sing of wealth, poverty, and our threadbare millennium. They discuss English as a visionary language from John Bunyan to James Joyce, hold forth on the illusion of mortality post-Einstein, and insist upon the meanest slum as Blake’s eternal holy city.

:doge

Hardcover: 1280 pages

:doge :doge :doge

:noah
©@©™

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2575 on: September 03, 2016, 11:40:24 PM »
Finshed return of the crimson guard.  Disappointing ending.  The middle was pretty good.  He really could have cut down on like half the story lines though. 

Gonna start Toll the Hounds tonight.  Really excited for it going back to Genabackis. 

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #2576 on: October 12, 2016, 02:05:09 PM »

Just finished this.  It's a fictionalized but incredibly well researched portrait of the rise of the Mexican Cartels in the early 2000s.  I had just finished watching Narcos and these guys make Escobar look like some anachronistic gentlemen from a bygone era.  Definitely takes a strong stomach to get through.
vin

benjipwns

« Reply #2577 on: October 13, 2016, 07:14:13 AM »

Bebpo

« Reply #2578 on: November 05, 2016, 11:31:36 PM »
Finally finished reading Mistborn Book 2 by Brandon Sanderson after a couple of months.  It's entertaining enough, but really is a C+ grade Game of Thrones politicking fantasy and suffers from middle book in a trilogy issue where the last 200 pages are essentially just setting up the story for the 3rd book.  Will read some other stuff and then finish out the 3rd book and see how the plot is overall.  First book was better for sure even if it was a bit Star Wars a New Hope x Fantasy.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2579 on: November 06, 2016, 12:23:44 AM »
Finally finished reading Mistborn Book 2 by Brandon Sanderson after a couple of months.  It's entertaining enough, but really is a C+ grade Game of Thrones politicking fantasy and suffers from middle book in a trilogy issue where the last 200 pages are essentially just setting up the story for the 3rd book.  Will read some other stuff and then finish out the 3rd book and see how the plot is overall.  First book was better for sure even if it was a bit Star Wars a New Hope x Fantasy.

Try The Lies of Locke Lamora if you want some unusual, fun, and humorous fantasy that is still grounded.