Author Topic: River Of Slime |OT| Mission: Impossible  (Read 3855663 times)

Boredfrom

Re: River Of Slime |OT| Mission: Impossible
« Reply #18720 on: June 03, 2019, 11:07:21 AM »
He doesn’t care about d celebrity drama and JonTron is still a popular YouTuber with a strong fanbase.

There's a contradiction here..

Popular youtuber with strong fanbase != an actual celebrity in any form of the word.

It's a different world now dude;  5 million subscribers is a lot. 

That's more subscribers than plenty of people we consider "celebrities" have ever had viewers of TV shows they've been on.  They just don't have the same level of media supporting them (gossip shows, magazines.)

I'm old and out of the loop so it's hard for me to declare anyone a non-celebrity.

Subscribers =/= viewers

Boredfrom

« Reply #18721 on: June 03, 2019, 11:09:32 AM »
But his videos are not political at all, and he decided to shut up about talking of politics in general since the backlash.

Right, he shut up.  But if he hadn't;  his subscribers are the one's who would likely be listening to him.   Many of them probably watched that stream where he original said that dogshit, many probably found there way onto Sargon of Asshole's podcast or whatever. 

Whether his main content is political or not the nature of social media would have his views following him around wherever he goes.

Holy shit Riotous, you are moving the goal posts too far.

Boredfrom

« Reply #18722 on: June 03, 2019, 11:12:17 AM »
But his videos are not political at all, and he decided to shut up about talking of politics in general since the backlash.

Right, he shut up.  But if he hadn't;  his subscribers are the one's who would likely be listening to him.   Many of them probably watched that stream where he original said that dogshit, many probably found there way onto Sargon of Asshole's podcast or whatever. 

Whether his main content is political or not the nature of social media would have his views following him around wherever he goes.

So we can claim these guys are non-celebrities all day but they have millions of "fans" who listen to them several hours a week.  In some ways that makes them way more impactful than some TV star who does cookie cutter interviews on talk shows and gets mentioned in gossip circles.

Holy shit, your edit went worse.  :lol

marrec

« Reply #18723 on: June 03, 2019, 11:15:05 AM »
According to riotous' logic JonTron is more influential in white supremacy than Tucker Carlson.

BisMarckie

« Reply #18724 on: June 03, 2019, 11:17:19 AM »

BisMarckie

« Reply #18725 on: June 03, 2019, 11:23:24 AM »
I see we are at the claim riotous said shit he didn't say phase.

I tried to accelerate it to the much weirder undiagnosed autism stage. :trumps

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #18726 on: June 03, 2019, 11:23:59 AM »
But still.. what the fuck is the Rick and Morty guy thinking?

Normal people don't live their lives like a politician with a case of oppo research circling around them waiting to strike at any moment, and always being aware of 'the optics'.

JonTron said some offensive idiotic shit years ago.
BETTER BOYCOTT THAT GAME HE HAD A FEW VO LINES IN.
BETTER BOYCOTT THAT GAME HE DID AN ADVERT FOR.
BETTER BLACKLIST ALL WHO COME INTO CONTACT WITH HIM, UNLESS THEY WISH TO TESTIFY BEFORE HUAC AS TO THEIR COMPLICITY IN CRIMES AGAINST THE STATE, AND NAME OTHERS

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #18727 on: June 03, 2019, 11:24:53 AM »
This clash between intellectual heavyweights riotous and marrec is positively invigorating :snob

Keep it up  ::)
Margs

marrec

« Reply #18728 on: June 03, 2019, 11:28:56 AM »
Personally I'm devastated that BIONIC isn't entertained by all this :(

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #18729 on: June 03, 2019, 11:29:28 AM »
Given Justin Roilands background in animation on YT, its somewhat likely his exposure to jontron was this:

and all the errarians saying "ITS HIS JOB TO GOOGLE [NAME] + CONTROVERSY BEFORE WORKING WITH ANYONE"
 - an actual fucking post made on resetera -
are straight up living in a bubble.

Who the fuck googles every potential employer / employee / date / client / whatever in case theres 'bad optics'?
Fucking psychopaths, thats who.

BisMarckie

« Reply #18730 on: June 03, 2019, 11:30:29 AM »
marrec is a dumb biaaaaaatch

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #18731 on: June 03, 2019, 11:33:28 AM »

wtf is this and where has it been all my life :lol

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18732 on: June 03, 2019, 11:40:23 AM »
He doesn’t care about d celebrity drama and JonTron is still a popular YouTuber with a strong fanbase.

Popular youtuber with strong fanbase != an actual celebrity in any form of the word.

That's more subscribers than plenty of people we consider "celebrities" have ever had viewers of TV shows they've been on.  They just don't have the same level of media supporting them (gossip shows, magazines.)

I'm old and out of the loop so it's hard for me to declare anyone a non-celebrity.

Subscribers =/= viewers

I don't think he's worried about a lack of viewers.  Checking his channel, pretty much all his uploads from after all this shit went down have 2+ million views or higher.  The flextape video went viral and has 41+ million views.  Nobody cares about the shit he said on whatever podcast(YT show?) apart from REEEEEEEEEE- that shit went down like two years ago already.  People have moved on to being outraged at Projared now.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 11:45:32 AM by bork »
ど助平

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #18733 on: June 03, 2019, 11:43:05 AM »
Who the fuck googles every potential employer / employee / date / client / whatever in case theres 'bad optics'?
Fucking psychopaths, thats who.

Googling prospective employees has been rather normal for at least a decade;  hell I remember in 2001 being asked to google anyone we interviewed at the company I worked with.  It's just kind of assumed now.

One guy had a blog about his obsession with guys with long hair. 

I really wanted to hire that guy but they said he wouldn't "Fit in" lol

Thats breaking all kinds of data protection and employee discrimination guidelines in europe.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #18734 on: June 03, 2019, 11:48:56 AM »

Boredfrom

« Reply #18735 on: June 03, 2019, 11:54:46 AM »

Subscribers =/= viewers

I don't think he's worried about a lack of viewers.  Checking his channel, pretty much all his uploads from after all this shit went down have 2+ million views or higher.  The flextape video went viral and has 41+ million views.  Nobody cares about the shit he said on whatever podcast(YT show?) apart from REEEEEEEEEE- that shit went down like two years ago already.  People have moved on to being outraged at Projared now.

Oh yeah, just saying because is to me a weird metric to compare (YT subscriptions vs tv viewership). Also, after the FlexTape2 video it was clear that he wasn’t lepered outside of the gaming stuff.

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #18736 on: June 03, 2019, 11:55:48 AM »
from thebore dot com poster and portman aficionado fistfullofmetal
His desire to just be the goofy oaf that smiles isn't really working as well in the current climate. His professional image needs to grow the fuck up.

:maf :maf :maf GROW THE FUCK UP :maf :maf :maf about playing kideo games on camera :rage

Yikes, why is this guy who works for a videogame site being a goofy oaf that smiles. Not a good look giantbomb

BisMarckie

« Reply #18737 on: June 03, 2019, 11:58:53 AM »
Dan's "both sides of wrestling" newsletter sure makes me think of someone else. (Image removed from quote.)

There it is. :aah

BisMarckie

« Reply #18738 on: June 03, 2019, 12:01:48 PM »
Would be really swell if Dan could spare a thought over executed journalist Jamal Khashoggi too, and the WWE still going ahead with the Crown Jewel in Saudi Arabia despite it.

What kind of lunatic wants political commentary on foreign affairs from their video game website?

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18739 on: June 03, 2019, 12:03:55 PM »
I mean that JonTron idiot seems like a pretty clear cut white nationalist.. what am I missing here.

Why him having a 30s advert on YouTube actually makes a practical difference in anyone's life? He's a D grade YouTube celebrity who, unlike some other more popular YouTubers, doesn't flirt with or espouse White Nationalism adjacent garbage on his main channel. Justin Roiland (more accurately, the ad people who work with Roiland) tapping him for a commercial does not in any way advance white nationalism or even make JonTron more popular. It's literally nothing against the great vacuum of content on YouTube. 95% of the posters grousing about it on ERA will forget all about it by lunch on Thursday BECAUSE IT DOESN'T ACTUALLY MATTER.

I don't think JonTron had said anything at all political in nearly 2 years. He had the two interviews and a couple of tweets back in 2017. Then the backlash against him. Then...nothing. But Peter Cetera doesn't wanna let it go.
dog

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #18740 on: June 03, 2019, 12:04:48 PM »
Dan's "both sides of wrestling" newsletter sure makes me think of someone else. (Image removed from quote.)

BisMarckie

« Reply #18741 on: June 03, 2019, 12:07:56 PM »
I am really interested in hearing Dan Ryckert's opinion on Boris Johnson becoming the new prime minister of the United Kingdom.
His silence on this issue says more than a thousand words. :maf

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #18742 on: June 03, 2019, 12:15:36 PM »
I am really interested in hearing Dan Ryckert's opinion on Boris Johnson becoming the new prime minister of the United Kingdom.
His silence on this issue says more than a thousand words. :maf

Has Boris Johnson ever even been married in a Taco Bell? He's a nobody, fuck him. I'd throw a nacho fry at him if I saw him, but I wouldn't want to waste the nacho fry.
©@©™

marrec

« Reply #18743 on: June 03, 2019, 12:15:40 PM »
All I'm saying is that we haven't heard Jeff Gerstmann say ANYTHING about the continued proxy war in Yemen why do you think that is?

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #18744 on: June 03, 2019, 12:17:51 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/giant-bomb-ot-14-bigdickdaddydom.115512/post-21382214
Surreal, no one on the waypoint discord gives a shit about the newsletter stuff, while I usually find them to be at least as progressive as Era.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/giant-bomb-ot-14-bigdickdaddydom.115512/post-21382218
Nothing on the GB forums either except one post in their wrestling OT describing the newsletter as "Talking about AEW"....

WHY WILL NO ONE GET OUTRAGED WITH ME :rage

BisMarckie

« Reply #18745 on: June 03, 2019, 12:19:05 PM »
tfw not even waypoint wackos give a shit. :goty2

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #18746 on: June 03, 2019, 12:19:18 PM »
please dont even joke about boris johnson becoming PM :stahp

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #18747 on: June 03, 2019, 12:22:45 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/giant-bomb-ot-14-bigdickdaddydom.115512/post-21382214
Surreal, no one on the waypoint discord gives a shit about the newsletter stuff, while I usually find them to be at least as progressive as Era.

Surreal, just surreal!

One has to wonder how they don't tire from being perpetually outraged

SmokyDave

« Reply #18748 on: June 03, 2019, 12:24:07 PM »
Can someone get excelsiorlef's take on the WWE being besmirched by Era? Or has excel Enzom'd out of there?

Ah, relax. He'll only have a three month tenure before Farage replaces him. It'll be fine.

BisMarckie

« Reply #18749 on: June 03, 2019, 12:25:20 PM »
All I'm saying is that we haven't heard Jeff Gerstmann say ANYTHING about the continued proxy war in Yemen why do you think that is?

I guess you haven't followed the news from the Balkans recenetly. There are new tensions between Serbia and Kosovo a part of Serbia. ::)

marrec

« Reply #18750 on: June 03, 2019, 12:26:09 PM »
Can someone get excelsiorlef's take on the WWE being besmirched by Era? Or has excel Enzom'd out of there?

Ah, relax. He'll only have a three month tenure before Farage replaces him. It'll be fine.

God this is dark

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #18751 on: June 03, 2019, 12:27:24 PM »

https://www.resetera.com/threads/giant-bomb-ot-14-bigdickdaddydom.115512/post-21382218
Nothing on the GB forums either except one post in their wrestling OT describing the newsletter as "Talking about AEW"....

WHY WILL NO ONE GET OUTRAGED WITH ME :rage

that's the second post I've seen about the GB forums

why don't they just make a fucking thread if they care so much
Uncle

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #18752 on: June 03, 2019, 12:28:10 PM »
my guess is the entire wrassle thread is shitting on wwe and raging at anyone who posts wwe stuff in there and will continue to do so until Raw starts tonight and they all start hate posting about how awful it and wwe are as they watch all three hours on a pirate stream.

BisMarckie

« Reply #18753 on: June 03, 2019, 12:29:50 PM »

why don't they just make a fucking thread if they care so much

Way to be considerate of those with crippling thread starting anxiety. ::)

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #18754 on: June 03, 2019, 12:30:13 PM »

I mean, did he think anything or was the ad handled by an agency ? If Roiland is indeed familiar or even an acquaintance to JonTron, did they ever talk about that ? Did JonTron had a mea-culpa on private (I'm not assuming he had one but it's not impossible either) with Roiland or any other acquaintances (like Ethan Klein, who may not be the sharpest political pundit but is probably not a Nazi) ?

There's so many assumptions in every of those ERA threads to fuel the guilt by association hunger. Per se I don't mind that people make a stink about it and by all means do not buy, boycott or call for some public explanations of why he was employed despite that rather large mark in his past. Assuming the worst of everyone associated with it is not very rational, sensible or healthy however.
ὕβρις

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #18755 on: June 03, 2019, 12:30:35 PM »

Quote from: Spirit of Jazz
I was going to say that I could have imagined Dan becoming a Boogie like character if he didn't fall in with a decent crowd but I thought it was a little too mean. Bless your love for that gif making the point I was too cowardly to.

too cowardly to accuse someone of being a centrist  :fbm
Uncle

thetylerrob

« Reply #18756 on: June 03, 2019, 12:33:30 PM »
Make a thread about it on Reespaghettiera -> Get Dan Fired -> Get Klepek Hired -> Giant Bomb dies

Centristbomb.com is born

marrec

« Reply #18757 on: June 03, 2019, 12:34:32 PM »

I mean, did he think anything or was the ad handled by an agency ? If Roiland is indeed familiar or even an acquaintance to JonTron, did they ever talk about that ? Did JonTron had a mea-culpa on private (I'm not assuming he had one but it's not impossible either) with Roiland or any other acquaintances (like Ethan Klein, who may not be the sharpest political pundit but is probably not a Nazi) ?

There's so many assumptions in every of those ERA threads to fuel the guilt by association hunger. Per se I don't mind that people make a stink about it and by all means do not buy, boycott or call for some public explanations of why he was employed despite that rather large mark in his past. Assuming the worst of everyone associated with it is not very rational, sensible or healthy however.

They get mad at the idea that Justin Roiland may not have personally involved himself in the decision because it's the responsibility of everyone who works on everything to look into the history of everyone who works on everything.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18758 on: June 03, 2019, 12:34:41 PM »
Make a thread about it on Reespaghettiera -> Get Dan Fired -> Get Klepek Hired -> Giant Bomb dies

Centristbomb.com is born

Wasn't he already part of Giant Bomb before?

:exxy
ど助平

thetylerrob

« Reply #18759 on: June 03, 2019, 12:35:34 PM »

Centristbomb.com is born

They can  :reeeee hire him

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #18760 on: June 03, 2019, 12:35:41 PM »

Centristbomb.com is born

Yes, and nobody liked him or Austin while they were there.

BisMarckie

« Reply #18761 on: June 03, 2019, 12:39:00 PM »
Austin was fine on GB, he was just one of the guys and his "smartest guy in the room" shtick was not as prevalent. :trumps

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

thetylerrob

« Reply #18763 on: June 03, 2019, 12:42:29 PM »
He wasn't feeling himself as much but he still brought up his college degree in almost every episode.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
©@©™

BisMarckie

« Reply #18766 on: June 03, 2019, 12:53:32 PM »
Or Benji.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #18767 on: June 03, 2019, 12:55:43 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/a-dog-a-cat-and-a-baby-are-in-house-fire-who-do-you-save.120629/

Quote from: ghostcrew, important moderator
This seems highly unlikely to produce good discussion.

yes however it seems highly likely to be mildly amusing until it runs out of steam naturally
Uncle

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #18768 on: June 03, 2019, 01:04:11 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/at-t-coca-cola-walmart-eli-lily-pfizer-and-aetna-all-reported-to-have-donated-money-to-politicians-that-advocated-for-and-enacted-abortion-bans.120625/

what's with all the downplaying in this thread?  the lack of guilt by association?

I suspect they've mostly all given loads of money to pro-choice politicians too. I doubt Coke have a stance on abortion, they just want friends in legislative places.

I honestly think those companies donated for the tax breaks, rather than for the abortion ban. The latter is something they merely got on the side. Corporations donating to republicans is nothing new.

Megacorporations donate money to Republicans, news at 11.

Quote from: entrement
Yeah. Narrative is strange here. They donated because the GOP is hyper pro business. The abortion stuff just comes with the meal. But they care more about the business benefits.

The dollar amounts aren't high enough to have any real conviction behind them; this looks like standard pay to play.

:thinking
Uncle

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #18769 on: June 03, 2019, 01:15:00 PM »
https://twitter.com/mombot/status/1135586518548881408

:rofl
parody accounts are on thin ice, wouldn't be surprised if this one is banned by the end of the week

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #18770 on: June 03, 2019, 01:18:59 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/at-t-coca-cola-walmart-eli-lily-pfizer-and-aetna-all-reported-to-have-donated-money-to-politicians-that-advocated-for-and-enacted-abortion-bans.120625/

what's with all the downplaying in this thread?  the lack of guilt by association?

I suspect they've mostly all given loads of money to pro-choice politicians too. I doubt Coke have a stance on abortion, they just want friends in legislative places.

I honestly think those companies donated for the tax breaks, rather than for the abortion ban. The latter is something they merely got on the side. Corporations donating to republicans is nothing new.

Megacorporations donate money to Republicans, news at 11.

Quote from: entrement
Yeah. Narrative is strange here. They donated because the GOP is hyper pro business. The abortion stuff just comes with the meal. But they care more about the business benefits.

The dollar amounts aren't high enough to have any real conviction behind them; this looks like standard pay to play.

:thinking

Forget it Jake, It's ERA town.
ὕβρις

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #18771 on: June 03, 2019, 01:42:51 PM »
That Trover game is sold on both Epic Games and Steam. Maybe Epic and Valve could do something.

If Roiland is a friend of JonTron, then Valve could remove the Dota2 Rick & Morty announcer pack, entirely voiced by Roiland.
Apparently, Roiland is also involved in Valve's game called The Lab, so something could also be done there by Valve.

Actually, there are many VR games (Job Sim, Accounting, Virtual Rick, and Trover), and VR is very important to Valve, so...

And one free non-VR game: Dr. Langeskov.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/justin-roiland-has-a-trover-saves-the-universe-commercial-made-starring-jontron.120520/post-21383566

Reading this you'd think Roiland had actually done something absolutely abhorrent that goes beyond "let's guy star in commerical"

stufte

• Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior
« Reply #18772 on: June 03, 2019, 01:50:31 PM »
That Trover game is sold on both Epic Games and Steam. Maybe Epic and Valve could do something.

If Roiland is a friend of JonTron, then Valve could remove the Dota2 Rick & Morty announcer pack, entirely voiced by Roiland.
Apparently, Roiland is also involved in Valve's game called The Lab, so something could also be done there by Valve.

Actually, there are many VR games (Job Sim, Accounting, Virtual Rick, and Trover), and VR is very important to Valve, so...

https://www.resetera.com/threads/justin-roiland-has-a-trover-saves-the-universe-commercial-made-starring-jontron.120520/post-21383566

Reading this you'd think Roiland had actually done something absolutely abhorrent that goes beyond "let's guy star in commerical"

They get so excited at ANY opportunity to ruin someones life over the most trivial shit. It's creepy.

marrec

« Reply #18773 on: June 03, 2019, 01:54:21 PM »

They get so excited at ANY opportunity to ruin someones life over the most trivial shit. It's creepy.

The endorphin rush associated with cancel culture is addictive. Any little bit of feedback they get from peers or from employers is worth however much time wasted.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #18774 on: June 03, 2019, 01:55:29 PM »

the best thing about this is Soulstoner was disingenuously trolling with calls to action on how to shut everyone down within radius (so unsubtly that even era was able to tell and I'm shocked he's not banned)

but now it seems there are people spurred on to genuine crusade tagging in jschreier for his support

Saying he’s cancelled on Twitter isn’t gonna do shit, but we can affect actual change by getting big voices like Kotaku and Polygon on this - either he’ll double down and we can write him off entirely, or he’ll realize what happened and take steps to make it right.

jschreier , I know you’re a busy man, but maybe have a looksee when you get a chance?

maybe we can get Imran involved in this also, he seems eager to put in the work dogging game companies and individuals endlessly until he gets answers
Uncle

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #18775 on: June 03, 2019, 01:59:42 PM »
I'm in the process of ruining all of your lives for merely not agreeing with the idea of ruining Roiland's life over this JonTron mess.

And good golly am I excited.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #18776 on: June 03, 2019, 02:03:21 PM »
Ah yes, well known member of the Nationalsozialistische Deutsche Arbeiterpartei *checks notes* Jon Tron is at it again!

Better shore up your borders Poland  :cop
🤴

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #18777 on: June 03, 2019, 02:04:27 PM »
so this is the part where we find out who she is and completely ruin her career ect.

so this is the part where we find out who she is and completely ruin her career ect.
The best part.

Time to fuck this woman life over. You can’t get away with racist remarks like that. The problem with society today is that there is no consequence when someone says something stupid like this. I m fortunate that no one has ever said anything racist to me(most likely because I m feared like Al Capone), but if they do, they are sure to get a roundhouse or capoeira kick to face to knock the stupid right out.

Saying that shit while you are looking at two dudes filming. What an idiot, get deleted

Her life is absolutely ruined and that’s a good thing. I hope she loses everything, including that house.

The best part.
(yes, 2 people echoed with an identical post)

I mean, good for you guys that you've even given up a pretense of wanting 'justice', you just want to see someones life ruined in disproportionate response I guess.

Hey, did anyone yet call her a c-
Wow. She’s a fucking cunt

ah, okay, there we go.

Ah, she's one of those types of Asians who secretly hate themselves and and worship whiteness. Now that she's with a white man, she feels as though she's achieved whiteness and perceivably shed her minority status so she decides to lord it over other minorities with mildly subdued racism.

This kind of racism coming from other minorities is even more detestable than racism from white people.

:whatisthis

Jenkem

• MARANAX INFIRMUX
« Reply #18778 on: June 03, 2019, 02:04:28 PM »
marrec just cant help himself.
 :doge

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #18779 on: June 03, 2019, 02:13:00 PM »
That was pretty cunty of her though.