Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 3656751 times)

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #38700 on: November 13, 2022, 05:05:16 PM »
Beat Chapter 2 of Trails of Cold Steel. I love the buttrock boss battle music. :rock

me, when the violins hit

hmm....

©@©™

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #38701 on: November 13, 2022, 05:31:23 PM »
Moar Hot Pursuit. It's funny I keep reading about Sony channeling Hollywood with their games but I feel like EA always did it much better.
When I'm speeding on a highway with an Aston Martin One 77 taking out cops with Turbo's and shooting at choppers with EMP blasts it legit feels like a James Bond movie.
With about 20 events to go I got some of the best cars now and damn this game is fast at ~220 mph.

Also every UK developer creating a mix tape for their racing game (another lost art tbh)

🤴

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #38702 on: November 13, 2022, 09:46:51 PM »
Beat Chapter 2 of Trails of Cold Steel. I love the buttrock boss battle music. :rock

me, when the violins hit

(Image removed from quote.)

hmm....

(Image removed from quote.)

Yeah the mid 2010's was a high point for Falcom music. CS1-3, Ys 8, and Tokyo Xanadu all have some top-tier soundtracks. Love that song in particular you picked.
^_^

Bebpo

« Reply #38703 on: November 14, 2022, 12:18:20 AM »
Ended up finishing up UnMetal. I played the second half at my desktop with a guide open to be able to alt+tab for the random troll stupid stuff.

In the end I'll hesitatingly say it's a good indie game and that any MGS-head should give it a playthrough, especially if you happened to pick up the humble choice bundle and got it free anyhow this month. But it's frustrating because there is a great indie game in there that's just bogged down by design stuff. Design stuff that could be patchable. Design stuff that like every review I saw mentions. And the game did receive patches and balance adjustments. But whatever they did just didn't go far enough to fix some of the core stuff.

My recommendation would honestly be to play through it skipping every cutscene. You're not missing much and the game between cutscene, cutscene, cutscene dialogues is pretty good outside the troll bullshit (which isn't too frequent, but is annoying when it happens) and random difficulty spikes. Also skipping cutscenes would probably drop the game from like 9-10 hours to like 6 hours.

Also the game having only 1 save slot that continually overwrites really seems like you can get so fucked you are stuck by the end. I missed an item and when back to get it and going in reverse through the screens was basically impossible without taking hits, but by the end at that point I had no health items left and it was pretty much impossible and it had saved over. Thankfully you get a couple of invincibility items in the run and I never used them so I used it to get through that bit but it was close.

There's some good boss fights in there, some good levels and some fun easter eggs and secrets. But then there's stuff like an optional event with a huge dialogue tree and every branch ends with a game over except one and it's just pure trial & error (the guide I used thought it was 100% fail states since it was optional and there was no achievement tied to it, but afterwards I read there is one branch that actually survives the event. With trial & error it would take like 10+ tries of 3 mins of dialogue to find it).

I think yeah, it's something like a 7-8/10 game. It was good enough that I kept playing it because the core gameplay was good, and there aren't a lot of good MGS clones out there. But I did start reading thebore on my phone during cutscenes after a while because yawwwwn. If the game had at least let you manually advance the conversations it would've been better since you could skim them quickly, but it doesn't.

Also for an MGS homage/clone/parody I think it's missing a couple of MGS features like you have a codec and it's used frequently throughout the story, but I'm pretty sure there are zero optional conversations where you just randomly call someone during something, which seems like a big omission. Also...I don't think there was a cardboard box? Also for the final boss I thought there would be a giant ass Metal Gear, but instead there's

spoiler (click to show/hide)
The mech from Robocop 2
[close]

Oh and I agree with that review I posted earlier in the thread that the game's story would've been better if it didn't take itself so seriously. It should've been more of a silly parody.
Though I disagree with that review that the ending joke didn't land, the execution of it was great and I laughed
ENDING SPOILER
spoiler (click to show/hide)
the post-credit scene reveal that the main character made up the entire game story to impress his girl & get laid. On paper that's dumb, but it's actually executed really well with the ending and the post-credit scene.
[close]
« Last Edit: November 14, 2022, 12:24:17 AM by Bebpo »

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #38704 on: November 14, 2022, 06:48:31 AM »
Been playing a lot of PS2 shit lately via emulation and having a rootin tootin good time for the most part. Until I have to save a game, god I forgot how tedious and slow it was back then for the most part :stahp

If you're on an emulator can't you just use save states tho?

Maybe idk I'm not really an emu expert. Its mostly annoying on NFS Underground 2 auto saving after every race. I should probably turn that shit off ;)
(ice)

Svejk

« Reply #38705 on: November 14, 2022, 01:21:33 PM »
Haven't tried out PPSSPP on my phone in like 2 years.  It runs so much better now.  Jeanne d'Arc and Tactic Ogre both run practically perfect with no more stuttering like before.  Both running at 2x resolution. 
 :rejoice

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #38706 on: November 14, 2022, 03:18:49 PM »
Restarted Among Trees after making the usual rookie survival game mistakes, but having heaps of fun with it. Very chilled, very cool atmosphere. Still not sure if there's any underlying story going on, but I did get killed by a bear.
Spud

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #38707 on: November 15, 2022, 10:55:20 AM »
Beat Chapter 3 of Cold Steel 1. I've probably restarted this game 5 or 6 times over the years and this is as far as I've ever gotten.
©@©™

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #38708 on: November 15, 2022, 01:41:22 PM »
Been playing a ton of Marvel Snap. Game is really addicting and awesome
What

Bebpo

« Reply #38709 on: November 15, 2022, 01:46:18 PM »
Been playing a ton of Marvel Snap. Game is really addicting and awesome

I hear it eats up all your free time.

This is why I don't touch f2p stuff :P

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #38710 on: November 15, 2022, 02:03:02 PM »
Well matches only take about three minutes so its easy to squeeze a game in, but Ive been trying to climb the ranked tree to hit lvl 100 and im at 81 so im pretty high so far. But you dont have to play it as much if you just wanna do a few games and clear some daily's. A few years ago I played a ton of Hearthstone but the Blizz shit hit with that Korea player being banned and I just quit.
What

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #38711 on: November 16, 2022, 09:22:30 AM »

©@©™

Bebpo

« Reply #38712 on: November 16, 2022, 03:07:47 PM »
Played about an hour and a half of Pentiment Josh Sawyer's passion project that appeals to a very small niche of players.

Not sure if I fit that group. I like Sawyer's tons of dialogue choices and reputation branches, but I find this game's setting utterly boring. So much religion dialogue and everyone being pious just makes everyone super dull to me. Will stick with it and see if it picks up at all.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #38713 on: November 16, 2022, 05:49:49 PM »
Hit the top rank in Marvel Snap

https://twitter.com/MMaRsu/status/1593012853170405376

Like a boss
What

Hamarr

« Reply #38714 on: November 17, 2022, 05:39:36 PM »
I have been playing Wolfenstein Youngblood after seeing a monthly Games Pass quest for it.  The ammo and the difficulty seem to have been fixed from release. I bought it day one and then quickly found myself grinding just to get through some of the street areas.  Gunplay is pretty good, though. Seeing the same areas over and over isn't quite as bad since it's easier to get through them.  I kind of wish the missions were laid out a bit better. The main ones seem to have the unlockable weapons needed to get through to certain areas in some of the side missions.  This is fun to fire up for a bit here and there for a mission or two before it gets too grindy.

I'm getting burnt out on Rocksmith+. Getting bored with what few songs that I have found that I like playing.  There are some songs up my alley worth playing, but discovery is a mess. The interface is, tuner, and note detection are so much better than 2014. It's a shame the music isn't anywhere near as good. And no cdlc to make up for it.

Halo 4 - almost done with this one again. I hated it originally but am enjoying it a lot more after getting around to playing Halo 5 and most of Halo Infinity's campaign.  Even with some of the changes to the controls it's just such a better game than 5, at least. The open world is kind of fun in Infinity, but I'm not sure if it will have much in the way of replayability like the earlier games in the series.  Spartan Ops is okay, too.

I just picked up RE7 during the Black Friday sale. It might be time to jump back into those. I might end up playing through The Evil Within 1 and 2 afterward, too. 

Bebpo

« Reply #38715 on: November 18, 2022, 04:20:52 PM »
I really want to like Pentiment because I'm a Josh Sawyer fan, but it's just not for me (which is fine) and trying to push through it regardless isn't doing it any favors.

I'm ok with the concept of the game as an adventure game/life sim/rpg during the 1600s in a rural European town's and its Abbey. But the game, while being "authentic" is just so incredibly slow in every part of it, it gives me a headache. It's like those old PS1 games with really slow text scrolls like the US version of Xenogears. Like every cutscene is filled with slow pauses between each movement and dialogue speech, the text crawls out at a decent but not fast pace complete with text scratching sound effect as it's being written. Your character's movement speed is slow and there's a lot of ground to cover because the town/abbey has a bunch of screens and there's no fast travel. Most of the dialogue is flavor text if you stop to talk with individuals on the way, boring life sim flavor text and not actually particular to the story. Your sidequests are sidequests like "finding sheep" or "finding books" aka really boring normal life chores in a boring town.

It's just incredibly boring. While I enjoy the dialogue choices and reputation remembrances, so much of it is dull I'm just not enjoying it much. For all the crap I talk on God of War 2018's boring repetitive design, I played some Ragnorak last night and it's still 10x as fun in the moment to moment playing than Pentiment.

Pentiment definitely has an audience, but I definitely am not in that audience unfortunately. At least Sawyer had an interview today that he'd be ok returning to Fallout, so maybe they'll put him on a New Vegas 2 next or something that's more my style.

Polident Hive

« Reply #38716 on: November 18, 2022, 04:34:20 PM »
Fugitive Hunter on PS2 (on Steam Deck)

Played the demo for this, realistically, close to 20 years ago. Featured on an OPM demo disk. Even as a kid, in peak post 9/11, this was that goofy shooter where you boxed Bin Laden. In 2022… it’s hard to put into words. First ‘fugitive’ is a gang guy from some inner city. Um. All the enemies here wear basketball jerseys, have Afros, shoot sideways, and yell lines like “what’s poppin!” Your character’s duke nukem quips are like “you’re not so bad!” and “I’m not your bro!” There’s an American flag pick up that makes you invincible for a minute.

The main menu has a secret video option. It’s an interview with a game designer talking about 9/11. How this game was in development before 2001. How Bin Laden was always the final boss. How they knew something like 9/11 would happen from all their research. How they visited the site in the aftermath to determine if it’s insensitive to release the game. But in the end they marched ahead with it. A year after the US release, they updated it for Europe, adding in Saddam. According to Wiki, Atari opted to pass on publishing it. It went to some presumably defunct publisher. The PC is technically abandonware now. Not a good game!

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #38717 on: November 19, 2022, 07:14:30 PM »
This seemed like the best place to ask: what’s the best backlog site out there? I had backloggd but they decided for reasons unknown to delete the account without any explanation. So something more stable than that lol. Thanks!
🍆🍆

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #38718 on: November 19, 2022, 07:48:16 PM »
This seemed like the best place to ask: what’s the best backlog site out there? I had backloggd but they decided for reasons unknown to delete the account without any explanation. So something more stable than that lol. Thanks!

Not really a backlogging site but I use the phone app Gameye to track my game collection. Right now it's just confined to your phone but they're adding a social element.
^_^

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #38719 on: November 20, 2022, 04:32:15 AM »
Retro gamers on Twitch I watch just use google sheets. I just use a word document myself.

Svejk

« Reply #38720 on: November 20, 2022, 12:47:58 PM »
I tried to log my backlog using various ways, but it was too tedious to create.  (Or me way too lazy) And if I actually did, I know I wouldn't follow it. I don't need a growing reminder of all of what I have not accomplished.  :doge

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #38721 on: November 20, 2022, 03:24:46 PM »
BACKLOG sheets? Guys, we're all dying before any of that is done. Just pick something and enjoy the ride
fat

Svejk

« Reply #38722 on: November 20, 2022, 07:30:39 PM »
Still playing Tomb Raider DE.  WTF... this game is a stark reminder that AAA videogames of late all shit the bed compared to this.  This was no doubt the OG pimp of Reboots.  CD slayed it.  After romping through the Sharted series a few months ago, I forgot how much CD did things better in terms of immerssion, gameplay and enemy AI.  Only thing it lacks, is how poor and forgetable the OST is.  Side characters are also forgetable, but who care about them.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #38723 on: November 20, 2022, 07:33:02 PM »
Tomb Raider DE is fantastic from start to finish. Rise of the Tomb Raider is perhaps a bit better even.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider is a bit more uneven and has more padding and needless grinding but it is easily one of the best looking Xbox One games.
🤴

Svejk

« Reply #38724 on: November 20, 2022, 07:42:55 PM »
Tomb Raider DE is fantastic from start to finish. Rise of the Tomb Raider is perhaps a bit better even.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider is a bit more uneven and has more padding and needless grinding but it is easily one of the best looking Xbox One games.
I honestly felt that Shadow should've been the 2nd one, and Rise was the climactic finale, especially how crazy epic Rise built up to be near the end.  It was fantastic.  It makes me all annoyed all over again that Crystal Dynamics, among other really talented devs, get money suckered into making shit comicbook character games.  :camby  Ready for that "phase" to run it's course. 

Hamarr

« Reply #38725 on: November 21, 2022, 01:39:10 PM »
Tomb Raider DE was great. I ended up playing that one at least 3 or 4 times, which I never do anymore. It worked really well as a Metroidvania, as well. Only thing I dislike is the constantly collapsing areas.  I never went back and replayed either of the other two.  Maybe I should revisit the second one, at least. The third one was pretty grindy. It seemed like they were trying to go for a more hub area thing with the towns and quests and that made the game a bit tedious. 

Svejk

« Reply #38726 on: November 21, 2022, 03:04:11 PM »
Tomb Raider DE was great. I ended up playing that one at least 3 or 4 times, which I never do anymore. It worked really well as a Metroidvania, as well. Only thing I dislike is the constantly collapsing areas.  I never went back and replayed either of the other two.  Maybe I should revisit the second one, at least. The third one was pretty grindy. It seemed like they were trying to go for a more hub area thing with the towns and quests and that made the game a bit tedious.
I've been contemplating playing Rise again as well, especially being able to play it in 60fps now.  Wish they had a 4K60fps patch.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2022, 03:53:05 PM by Svejk »

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #38727 on: November 22, 2022, 02:11:53 PM »

Beat Cold Steel 1. Cue the butt rock.

Can't wait to find out more about this mf'er named McBurn.  :heh

©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #38728 on: November 23, 2022, 04:45:57 PM »

Vita means life.
©@©™

Bebpo

« Reply #38729 on: November 24, 2022, 01:19:23 AM »
Bad End Theater

Cute little game that doesn't have much to it. Flip the choice switches and get the bad endings to the story as they play out. It's a fun concept, that gets pretty repetitive in the middle, but comes together well in the end. Don't remember how much I paid for this, definitely under $10. Was a fine distraction for an hour. Feels closer to a free itch.io size game than a $10 game though.

It's weird googling for vids of small indie anime looking games like these on youtube. There's like dozens of streamer reaction vids and 3,600+ reviews on steam. I guess these kinds of games appeal to the zoomers.

Himu

« Reply #38730 on: November 24, 2022, 02:34:19 AM »
Metal Gear Solid

First time playing this classic in well over a decade. It has some problems but they don't detract in any way from the overall product. The main flaw being the shooting and the back tracking. Shooting you can deal with because it's a stealth game and therefore shooting isn't the main goal but the backtracking can sometimes be a downer, mostly in the case of going back for the PSG-1. Other than that, it's still as amazing as I remember and still evokes the same feeling as the first time I played it because its been so long. I routinely chuckle at how gat damn creative it is, even in 2022. Like the Meryl Codec back cover thing, or Psycho Mantis, or after torture and when Naomi "massages" Snake and you put the controller to your arm. The gameplay and storytelling are still rock hard tight, although the storytelling has a tendency to wax poetic too much like an activist teenager (like the part where Baker talks about MUF and Snake is all,"REALLY THEY JUST LEAVE NUCLEAR WASTE LIKE THAT AND GET AWAY WITH IT?! SO SICKENING". Moments like that can feel try hard but they're few and far between. I forgot about all the details in the game: the intro sound loop at the Konami logo, the wolves den, the hearts over the wolves upon smelling her hankerchief, the ketchup torture cell room trick, Ocelot planting a bomb in your bag. It's just such a great package.

What's even more shocking for me is that I think the graphics are actually still excellent in 2022. The pixelized graphics just add a layer of aesthetic to it because despite the pixels the graphics are highly detailed. The lighting and heavy contrast visual art style just work. This may sound crazy but it's true: the game looks flipping EXCELLENT on a CRT, between the scanlines and the pixelation. It just screams aesthetic.

Just beat the Hind (I forgot how good the boss fights are too!) and about to do my favorite part: Sniper Wolf, then it's on to disc 2.

I remember the first time I was introduced to MGS1 and it was in a trailer in the September 1998 issue of Official PlayStation Magazine. It was my first OPM I bought and the demo disc had a trailer for MGS1 and I was mystified with it right then. It looked like the coolest fucking game I had ever seen. I eventually got an actual playable demo at Pizza Hut and played it over, and over, and over. I got my copy, which I'm playing on my ps2, from my father for Christmas in 1998. It was THE main reason I wanted an Dual Shock (I'm surprised the analogy controls still feel SOOOO GOOD even now despite being a psx game. Snake feels so tight and smooth!). I have so many stories and memories about this game, from the boys and I discussing tactics during lunch, swapping rumors and tips, to sleep overs where I brought it to my jealous Nintendo 64 owning friend's house and we would catass and beat the fuck out of it. While replaying it so many memories have been just pouring out. It has been so long since MGSV and I forgot how much of a complete Metal Gear STAN I once was (and still remain).

Clearly the best game on the original PlayStation and arguably, besides Ocarina of Time, the best game of its generation. Classic, front to back. It actually feels ahead of its time compared to its peers. The shooting is the main thing limiting it. Can't wait for VR Missions, which is just insane. I'd love to replay MG1 and MG2. Metal Gear 2 in my opinion is equally ahead of its time as MGS1.

1998 truly was the year that modern gaming ascended. What a year.

The game that changed gaming and in my opinion changed what a video game could be. Gaming hasn't been the same since.

GOAT.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2022, 02:40:20 AM by Himu »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #38731 on: November 24, 2022, 02:51:41 AM »
I forgot to gush about the soundtrack. JFC.

I love this game so much.
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #38732 on: November 24, 2022, 02:59:36 AM »
Three solitaire games down on Zachtronics Solitaire Collection. I've never beaten a single one of his games because they're too smart for me, but I appreciate them. Now this, this is something I am able to clear and so I'm enjoying this more than the actual games lol

The collection is all the mini-games from all his games + one new one in a set for like $6-7. GOTY 2022.

Bebpo

« Reply #38733 on: November 24, 2022, 03:06:23 AM »
Additionally, I'm sad that Zachtronics guy is retiring and his newest game Last Call BBS is his final game along with this collection. I've got to say the amount of hugely varied and interesting aesthetics and worlds he created along with really interesting brainy puzzle games for years and years with Zachtronics releases is incredibly impressive even if I never got super far in any of them (I think I got decently into Opus Magnum and a bit into Exapunks).

Like the guy definitely deserves to retire, but also the end of a certain era for puzzle gaming. One day I'd like to actually finish all his games.

Actually, reading up an interview on Zach Barth, seems less like retiring and more moving on to something else. I am really surprised him and his company aren't pretty rich. I've thought these are the biggest puzzle games on the market for the last decade and some have been pretty big hits like SpaceChem and Exapunks. This quote is kind of surprising. Wish the company had more success.

Barth adds: "We've been successful. A lot of people struggle to get anybody to look at their game. So we managed to at least break even, which is not true for a lot of people. But we were never super comfortable; we were never making ten times our costs. When you make 10-to-100 times how much you spend on something, you now have something like a 50-person studio and you can make whatever game you want at least once, right? Whereas we were always right on the edge of being reliable, but always one game away from failure."

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/why-zachtronics-has-decided-to-call-it-a-day
« Last Edit: November 24, 2022, 03:19:58 AM by Bebpo »

Himu

« Reply #38734 on: November 26, 2022, 05:28:32 PM »
Beat MGS1. Gosh what a classic, man. The Best Has Yet To Come still hits so hard.

Also this time I learned you can do the get away escape in first person  :o I always struggled with that part as a kid but aced it on first try this time due to figuring out you can shoot in first person. The shooting is soooo much better in fps. I wish they would remake MGS1 with the first person shooting of MGS2 but fine tune the game. Twin Snakes' biggest issue is difficulty because it's a game not made around first person shooting that has first person shooting in it. This results in lop sided balance. I recall beating Ocelot in Twin Snakes just by sitting there because I could just shoot the fucker from afar when the actual boss battle design isn't designed around that.

Fox Hound are still the GOAT MGS villains :lawd

I actually don't find the backtracking for the key to be too bad these days. It's actually pretty easy and tame. The PSG-1 backtracking is still the worst offender in the game. I actually feel that MGS1 as a stand alone game is something that doesn't even need reiterating on. I'm grateful for MGS2, 3, and 5 for their gameplay but story-wise, 3 aside, none of them are particularly important as MG1, 2, and Solid.

Seriously the graphics and presentation of this game ARE STILL GOOD even in 2022. The entire Rex room is mind boggingly detailed for a 1998 game without pre-rendered graphics. And the Ninja and Rex cutscene? Like holy fuck. Aesthetically MGS1 still looks SO. GOOD.

Look at Rex's model. It's ridiculously detailed. :mindblown On a CRT this game this game looks so good.
IYKYK

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #38735 on: November 26, 2022, 06:39:08 PM »
I've started GTA Definitive Edition. One of my black friday pick-ups.

Went in with very low expectations and...

To my surprise, GTA3 still holds up very well. The city feels busy and alive, apart from the janky gunplay it plays well and despite some character models looking weird it looks good enough overall visually for a souped up PS2 game.
I was sort of too young to understand everything about GTA3 back in the day and get all the movie references and stuff. I remember being mostly interested in blowing up cop cars and using cheats, not so much the missions.

Now I'm bringing Luigi's ho's to the Police ball 8)

I also like how tight the design of the city is. You get your bearings pretty quickly in terms of where everything is.
🤴

Himu

« Reply #38736 on: November 26, 2022, 06:50:44 PM »
GTA3 is the best GTA.
IYKYK

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #38737 on: November 27, 2022, 03:14:32 AM »
Ps2 game? Arent those just the android ports? 😅
What

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #38738 on: November 27, 2022, 10:38:55 AM »
I’m juggling Nioh 2 (PS5), a replay of Dead Space 2 (PS3), and Marvel’s Avengers (PS5)  :wut
Margs

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #38739 on: November 28, 2022, 01:05:03 AM »
Ps2 game? Arent those just the android ports? 😅

The 360 re-releases were the Android ports, but the new ones were built up from basics in Unreal, if I read it correctly.

Oh, tell-a-lie, EDIT: My first game I'll play since MGS1. I have copies of MGS collection on 360 and the free Phantom Pain that PSN did, but I have never booted them up.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2022, 01:11:12 AM by chronovore »

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #38740 on: November 28, 2022, 09:16:39 AM »
Reassembled the gang in Cold Steel 2 and I'm getting pretty deep into the second act.

Cold Steel 2, in a nutshell

Also Cold Steel 2, in a nutshell

Also also Cold Steel 2, in a nutshell

©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #38741 on: November 29, 2022, 09:31:02 AM »

©@©™

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #38742 on: November 29, 2022, 01:11:58 PM »
Played the first hour or so of NFS unbound and it's pretty decent. Certainly worth trying out with 10hr trial you get with gamepass :obama

Even the fake hanime shit isn't that annoying in game.
(ice)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #38743 on: November 29, 2022, 06:33:51 PM »
Played the first hour or so of NFS unbound and it's pretty decent. Certainly worth trying out with 10hr trial you get with gamepass :obama

Even the fake hanime shit isn't that annoying in game.
It looks awesome but I'm waiting for it to land and see what people think about it in a few weeks or so.

Forza Horizon 5 got great reception at launch and then quickly died off because a lot of bugs showed up and the leaderboards were completely broken.
🤴

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #38744 on: November 30, 2022, 02:42:40 PM »
Finished Elden Ring, easily the worst Souls I have played

And I've played them all! It's bad! Absolutely stumped at the fervor over this one, you are all dumb and fucking speds
fat

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #38745 on: November 30, 2022, 03:29:37 PM »
Going through Dead Space 1 and 2 while waiting for Callisto Protocol. Already finished 2 and now halfway through 1. Dead Space 1 used to be my favourite of the two, so I'm going in reverse order to see if that's still true.

Too much hassle playing Dead Space 3 since it's only fun in coop.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #38746 on: November 30, 2022, 04:31:19 PM »

And I've played them all! It's bad! Absolutely stumped at the fervor over this one, you are all dumb and fucking speds

Your the worst soul
What

Bebpo

« Reply #38747 on: November 30, 2022, 05:37:09 PM »

Sure. I put it in the middle, and YMMV. But,

And I've played them all! It's bad!

Idk, I think even the worst Souls game is still a great game. I don't think any of them are actually bad. Bad parts, yeah, sure. But overall they're all really fun.

You didn't have a good time during Elden Ring? Did you play melee or magic?

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #38748 on: November 30, 2022, 06:03:39 PM »
I played the same as I did in every Souls game - Hit stuff with a stick
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #38749 on: November 30, 2022, 06:42:07 PM »
I played the same as I did in every Souls game - Hit stuff with a stick

Long stick or a short stick?

Shield? Magic spells?

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #38750 on: November 30, 2022, 06:44:36 PM »
I used Uchigatana the whole way
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #38751 on: November 30, 2022, 06:57:47 PM »
I used Uchigatana the whole way

Sounds good. So what didn't you like about this one compared to other Souls?

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #38752 on: November 30, 2022, 07:20:58 PM »
- Open World Garbage
- Lots of OPEN WORLD exploration that leads to nothing, such as:
- Sick, another random golden rune. Dont care
- Sick, more useless CRAFTING materials, fuck crafting, suck a dick
- Bosses are giant dumb shitheads (emphasis on giant)
- Every enemy and boss is a spaz on adderall and energy drinks (yes even the giant dumb shitheads)
- Character runs, attacks, sucks dick slower than molasses (even on Light Load)
- Majority of boss arenas are dogshit littered with trash
- Too much 2v1 bullshit (even the final boss is a boss rush. stupid)
- Lots of repeats of bosses/giant dumb shitheads. Lazy
- BLOAT BLOAT BLOAT
- Having to use a consumable just to summon. What happened to good ol Covenant? Sike go farm some CRAFTING material. Stupid

No wonder dumbasses be like YO I SPENT 100 hours on this game, no wonder, its OPEN WORLD dogshit gaming, everything is intentionally made to pad out thicker than your size XXL undies

I will die on this hill, this game is shit, easy bottom tier. Maybe above Sekiro, and Sekiro isnt even a Souls
fat

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #38753 on: November 30, 2022, 07:46:09 PM »
Even though I like Elden Ring in general I do feel everything is spread too thin. When you finally hit the next story beat or progress a quest you've long forgotten what it was all about in the first place.
There's also the part where the game sort of runs out of tricks and all it can throw at you is simply the same enemy type but stronger. Even late game BOTW would still surprise you with the giant maze, hidden temple or just a really clever shrine puzzle.
After 60 hours or so and beating Starscourge Radahn I felt I had pretty much seen all there is to see in Elden Ring and the next 25 hours I've played were pretty much a retreat of the previous 60 with a higher difficulty.
Once you've unlocked most of the map it also loses the excitement of exploration and discovery.

Plus the open world doesn't feel as alive and interactive as BOTW does and you lack additional exploration tools like the ice blocks en magnets to mess around with.
A lot of games that were inspired by BOTW simply skip the sandbox 'fuck around and find out' gameplay that made the game more fun to play than most open world games.

I'm worried that Nintendo might also drop it and goes back to a more limited design.
🤴

Himu

« Reply #38754 on: November 30, 2022, 09:33:06 PM »
- Open World Garbage
- Every enemy and boss is a spaz on adderall and energy drinks (yes even the giant dumb shitheads)
- BLOAT BLOAT BLOAT
- Having to use a consumable just to summon. What happened to good ol Covenant? Sike go farm some CRAFTING material. Stupid

No wonder dumbasses be like YO I SPENT 100 hours on this game, no wonder, its OPEN WORLD dogshit gaming, everything is intentionally made to pad out thicker than your size XXL undies

I will die on this hill, this game is shit, easy bottom tier. Maybe above Sekiro, and Sekiro isnt even a Souls

I agree. I like it but I still agree. Haven't even beaten it because of open world dog shit.
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #38755 on: November 30, 2022, 10:01:16 PM »
- Open World Garbage

The exploration is the reward!

Yeah, they are the worst bosses in the series 100%. The repetition also is not great as filler to pad out the game length. The bosses are the biggest negative for ER. Though there are some good ones, but not many.

I didn't notice this though. Felt about the same as usual for souls. But the bosses all move like Sekiro like you said which in turn does make you feel a bit slower since you don't move like Sekiro but more like DS3.

- BLOAT BLOAT BLOAT

Could've been trimmed a bit tighter, but that's most open-world games.

Eh, I don't think this is a big deal. Also Elden Ring is kind of different than past Souls games where coop partners were an option to cheese hard fights. A lot of the boss fights in Elden Ring are legit designed around you having a second character (the 2v1 stuff for sure). If you play with the right summon it balances them pretty well, but if you try to solo it the fights are terrible.

Maybe above Sekiro, and Sekiro isnt even a Souls

This I agree with though. Mostly. I agree Sekiro is the bottom and isn't even a Souls game, but I do think ER even with ALL its faults is better than DS2/DS3. DS3 is like the most forgettable Souls game ever. Good luck anyone remembering a thing about it these days even if it's perfectly competent. DS2 has a lot of the mess of ER, though DS2 has a better story than ER.

Oh that's one thing you didn't even list. Elden Ring has one of the weakest plot lores of all the Souls games. That was one of the biggest bummers for me along with the bosses. I love lore in Souls games and watching lore vids. But too much of ER's lore is left ambiguous so fans can make all the theories they want, but no one can actually figure out what the fuck most of the story is which bugs me. DS2's lore has a similar issue but I find the lore there more interesting.

Still, Elden Ring is my GoTY  :lol

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #38756 on: November 30, 2022, 10:12:48 PM »
The number of actual exploration that leads to a dumb dungeon or actual useful item is about... 1% of the game

The other 99 is picking up cotton pieces, random flowers, and golden runes
fat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #38757 on: November 30, 2022, 10:15:13 PM »
Dragon's Dogma does it better

Even the endgame

Is Dragons Dogma 2 out yet
fat

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #38758 on: November 30, 2022, 10:25:23 PM »
Crafting pretty much sucks in every game because the systems are always so clunky. If a crafting system doesn't let me draw direct from my storage and requires me to put shit in my inventory before I can craft, that game can go and fuck itself.
Spud

Svejk

« Reply #38759 on: November 30, 2022, 10:37:39 PM »
Dragon's Dogma does it better

Even the endgame

Is Dragons Dogma 2 out yet
This is the real answer to everything in gaming.