Author Topic: Adventures of GOINIO: WoW  (Read 190542 times)

Candyflip

Re: Adventures of GOINIO: WoW
« Reply #1500 on: February 29, 2008, 07:10:42 PM »
I don't know if this has been posted before but I figured I may as well put it here since it's not worth making a thread about.

[youtube=425,350]KhGeta8Nqcs[/youtube]

Warhammer looks pitiful. I wish I could try the beta to see if it's really as bad as it looks here.

"No capturing flags because that's dull. We capture things people give a damn about, you know, like strategic points!" What is this guy on? And why does the UI look like they copied WoW pixel for pixel? Even quest tracking :rofl
ffs

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #1501 on: February 29, 2008, 07:13:37 PM »
that's really a damn shame

i was looking forward to this a lot

but goddamn that looks horrible
Tonya

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #1502 on: February 29, 2008, 07:17:11 PM »
I dunno, I have a lot of faith in Mythic, at least half of the mechanics in WoW were taken from DAoC. The evolution of MMORPGs relies heavily on copying the last successful one. For example the next WoW expansion BGs will have siege equipment, that isnt new kids. DAoC again.

I think the biggest challenge it will face is not looking significantly better than WoW on a technical level (going by the video), and having crappier art.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 07:21:34 PM by Blanka Face »
o_0

MrAngryFace

« Reply #1503 on: February 29, 2008, 07:20:21 PM »
Actually the PVP combat looks pretty bad too :(

Say what you want about the endless balance issues in WoW PVP, at least the combat looks visceral.
o_0

Candyflip

« Reply #1504 on: February 29, 2008, 07:35:51 PM »
If 2.4's huge array of class revisions (lol @ locks) and the upcoming 3v3 tournament are any indication, Blizzard is finally paying more attention to PvP. Plus, they allege that with WotLK it will be the most balanced yet.
ffs

lordmaji

• It's a joke, not a dick, so don't take it so hard!
« Reply #1505 on: February 29, 2008, 07:42:03 PM »
Jesus Christ, totally copying WoW.

That guys nuts.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 07:45:17 PM by lordmaji »
:-[

MrAngryFace

« Reply #1506 on: February 29, 2008, 07:45:41 PM »
Well my issue with attention on PVP is that it DOES affect PVE, and to add to that, Arena PVP changes specific to Arena play DO affect Battleground PVP. While the Arena fosters TRUE PVP, it has created yet another faction that will potentially get the shaft due to changes made specifically for PVP/PVE/Arena PVP.

They've BEEN paying attention to PVP and this is the reason PVE people run around screaming welfare epics and bitching and moaning about class changes. PVP gets priority and while this is all well and good, PVE subscribers most likely outnumber PVPers by a large margin.

If they really wanted to balance WoW they would have a balance mentality that was based around the fictional scenario of a player playing all three styles. This balance for the super focused freaks stuff doesnt work for everyone. Sure, I PVP and it currently works for me, but what if that changes? Where do I go?
o_0

MrAngryFace

« Reply #1507 on: February 29, 2008, 07:46:02 PM »

That guys nuts.

WoW copied a lot of DAoC. Chicken and Egg argument.
o_0

Candyflip

« Reply #1508 on: February 29, 2008, 08:46:33 PM »
PvE gear is still miles ahead of what is offered from S3, aside from weapons. Of course, when I say PvE gear I mean BT/Hyjal loot. Still. That was the whole point of having a separate season for every tier set. The PvP equivalent. That's how loot scales. Shit gets outdated way fast. You have to keep in mind that content such as Kara and heroics have been around for over a year now. It's not fair to hold back PvP gear simply because people are still stuck in Altazhan.

That's why they keep rolling out the expansions, to deal with the insane scaling of gear. Of course the amount of players that make it to Illidan/Archimonde is smaller than the group of people that will end up walking around in full Vengeful. Any idiot can scrape by all season with a 1400 team and still have enough points to get every piece. That's just the way it is. And look, to appeal to all the terribles who cry about loot because they can't or won't participate in PvE beyond the laughably easy 5 mans there's a whole array of new heroic gear next patch that is more or less on par with T6.

I'd like to say they've done a much better job maintaining the balance of talents between both PvP and PvE in comparison to Pre-BC. If you look back they've definitely widened the gap between specs for the two facets. The whole point of that is to avoid exactly what you're talking about with PvP changes affecting PvE.

Honestly the only way to appease everyone would be to separate the casuals from the hardcores. But that problem exists in a ton of games. It's just more apparent with WoW.

Sorry if this entire post was completely incoherent. After rereading it I feel like I just rambled for 5 minutes.

@Forgotten Ancient. Check your PMs, I sent you the account info anyway. Go ahead and do whatever with it if you end up wanting to play again.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 09:02:44 PM by Candyflip »
ffs

etiolate

« Reply #1509 on: February 29, 2008, 09:09:09 PM »
The combat in Warhammer is way too slow, slower than wow even. Faster combat is better for pvp action.

I don't think blizz has done better with pvp, they just find new ways to mess it up. Arena and resil for example. Arena has a small handful of viable specs and those classes get gear others won`t. It's just so broken.

Candyflip

« Reply #1510 on: February 29, 2008, 09:20:51 PM »
The combat in Warhammer is way too slow, slower than wow even. Faster combat is better for pvp action.

I don't think blizz has done better with pvp, they just find new ways to mess it up. Arena and resil for example. Arena has a small handful of viable specs and those classes get gear others won`t. It's just so broken.
Hmm? They pigeonhole specs on purpose. PvE is not much different. You're not going to find any Shadowstep Hemo rogues in raids just as Destruction in arena has become a joke.

And resilience was pretty much necessary to prevent rogues (along with a plethora of other burst classes) from becoming ridiculously overpowered.

Now I'm interested though. What do you mean when you say "those classes"? According to these rankings practically any class can go far in arena if you've got the right set up.

I will admit that Hunters were pathetically underutilized throughout S1 and a good portion of S2. Healing debuffs on Aimed Shot and Arcane Shot's purge fixed that though.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 10:23:58 PM by Candyflip »
ffs

lordmaji

« Reply #1511 on: February 29, 2008, 10:07:29 PM »

That guys nuts.

WoW copied a lot of DAoC. Chicken and Egg argument.

DAoC?? I'm clueless man. :(

Candyflip

« Reply #1512 on: February 29, 2008, 10:10:52 PM »
Dark Age of Camelot. Released the year Blizzard announced WoW. Some of the gameplay (or at least the ideas behind it) was very similar to WoW. I was talking more about the similar UIs though when I mentioned Warhammer taking a page out of Blizzard's book.
ffs

Invertibrate

« Reply #1513 on: February 29, 2008, 10:54:12 PM »
Resilience was a great change to PVP to make it viable.  It is evident how necessary it is anytime you run into casters in greens.  They are made of paper and have no survivability in PVP.  A fellow rogue in my guild, who is dagger spec can easily two shot a caster in BGs, as I can on my pvp speced warrior.  6k ambush followed by a 2k+ backstab will kill pretty much any new to 70 pvp caster class.  And PVE epic geared casters are not much better.  Resilience brings in a little more balance to the mix, makes for longer funner fights. 

As far as classes go in arena.  There is now a very clear deliniation between PVP and PVE speced classes.  Before raiders would take their character into PVP and with few if any changes own there.  Now there is a choice, are you PVP or PVE.  Your gear, enchants and gems will all be dictated by that choice, as well as your spec. 

My rogue is for raiding, he is PVE all the way except when I do minimal arenas for the offhand weapons.  I used to do well pvping on him because I had great raid gear in original WoW, now I am squishy in PVP cause my gear and spec are not made for it, and I am fine with it.  If i want to PVP I would pay the respec costs and earn my gear. 

My warrior is a perfect case of this.  I have a great set of tanking gear, I could go and tank the lower level 25 mans in a second on him, but I have also been pvping with him and have a decent set of PVP gear.  The classes are flexable enough that I can go between the 2 specs easily depending on what I want to do that day. 
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 11:03:07 PM by Invertibrate »

lordmaji

« Reply #1514 on: February 29, 2008, 11:05:09 PM »
Dark Age of Camelot. Released the year Blizzard announced WoW. Some of the gameplay (or at least the ideas behind it) was very similar to WoW. I was talking more about the similar UIs though when I mentioned Warhammer taking a page out of Blizzard's book.

Ah, alright. I wasn't sure. I heard of DAoC. It just didn't click in my head thats what DAoC was. my bad.

I heard it was good for 5yrs + ago. :P

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #1515 on: February 29, 2008, 11:06:20 PM »
Warhammer's UI theft is pretty damn blatant. they're not even trying to disguise it!
乱学者

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1516 on: February 29, 2008, 11:08:01 PM »
Warhammer's UI theft is pretty damn blatant. they're not even trying to disguise it!

sounds like justice!
Tonya

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #1517 on: February 29, 2008, 11:09:15 PM »
more like world of warhammer. craft. online.

usually you at least reskin the UI you stole, tho
乱学者

MrAngryFace

« Reply #1518 on: February 29, 2008, 11:28:34 PM »
Not sure WoW can get away with wah wah about 'stealing' lol
o_0

MrAngryFace

« Reply #1519 on: February 29, 2008, 11:29:51 PM »

wahhhhhhhhhhhhh
o_0

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #1520 on: March 01, 2008, 01:28:24 PM »
I tried Mana Tombs last night and experienced the worst boss fight ever. Even being camped by a group of lv70s was less painful omg

We basically breezed through the instance despite having a horrible healer. It wasn't totally her fault because she wasn't the right druid spec for healing. As Etoilet knows, it's extremely hard to find healers for groups on our server. I mean, REALLY hard. We looked for about an hour for one, and then decided on the druid after she said she could "kinda heal i guess lol." But I figured fuck it, she'll only have to heal me anyway so let's go right? WRONG

The first two bosses were pretty easy. We had a great group leader who warned us what each boss and enemy did so there weren't any surprises. But once we got to the last boss everything went to shit
This guy: http://thottbot.com/c18344

Our original plan was to mark his adds and take them out first, then focus on the boss. But every fucking time I engaged the boss sequence they literally RUSHED past me to the mage and two shotted her. This was odd because she didn't even touch the boss, and besides her DPS was even lower than mine (a capitol crime for anyone but a healer lol). On the next two tries we suffered a similar fate which pissed me off because it seemed like I couldn't do anything to stop them from ignoring me. Finally I was able to hold their arrgo (the casters stayed waay back) but things still went south.

Our main DPS (a rogue) left so we got a lv70 warlock who had like 12K health wtf. On our first try we wiped pretty fast once again. On the second try I decided that I'd focus on the boss while the casters (mainly the warlock) took out the healers. This is the plan I wanted to do from the beginning. Etoilet can also tell you that I constantly ask people if they're ready before engaging mobs/bosses. Everyone says yes, so I run at the boss at which point the warlock is like "wait." WTF I ASKED YOU IF YOU WERE READY. Needless to say I died and then the group wiped. After that I said fuck it and left.

Our original group:
lv66 warrior (me)
lv66 rogue
lv64 mage
lv63 druid (healer)
lv63 druid

The final boss was an elite lv66 and was able to fuck everyone up except me and the rogue. Next time I do Mana Tombs I'm going with a real healer and higher levels. Plus if anyone has tips on how to beat the final boss I'm all ears. The rest of that instance is easy as hell

MrAngryFace

« Reply #1521 on: March 01, 2008, 01:29:46 PM »
My huntard is 26 booyah!
o_0

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #1522 on: March 01, 2008, 02:27:41 PM »
my priest is 42!
duc

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1523 on: March 01, 2008, 03:12:27 PM »
On what server FA? I thought you quit. If you're still on Muradin I'm lv21

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1524 on: March 01, 2008, 03:22:46 PM »
I don't know whether to chuckle or cry

lordmaji

« Reply #1525 on: March 02, 2008, 01:20:39 AM »

I don't think I'll be playing very much for the next 3-4 weeks.  I'll mostly do some random soloing in free time, but I have my work yearly major deadline at the end of this month and my courses are starting to get really stressful.  I'd like to do some instances sometime, but I think your and my schedule don't really match up well.  :(

I don't know whether to chuckle or cry either.  I feel terrible and owe Eric P an apology and a blow job.

Good man! WoW FOREVER! WoW is your addiction, like painkillers are mine. :lol Too each his own. :bow

I'm thinking about playing again. I'm not sure yet though. It's fun bsing w/ people while playing.

PD, you on the horde side yet? or still Alliance? I have a lvl 55 hunter night elf on alliance. I think my highest horde char is 30. :P I'm not sure, it's been a long while since I last played. It started feeling like work. :(

MrAngryFace

« Reply #1526 on: March 02, 2008, 01:42:41 AM »
Hunter is level 28 rooox
o_0

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1527 on: March 02, 2008, 04:22:06 AM »

I don't think I'll be playing very much for the next 3-4 weeks.  I'll mostly do some random soloing in free time, but I have my work yearly major deadline at the end of this month and my courses are starting to get really stressful.  I'd like to do some instances sometime, but I think your and my schedule don't really match up well.  :(

I don't know whether to chuckle or cry either.  I feel terrible and owe Eric P an apology and a blow job.

tsk tsk tsk

Tonya

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #1528 on: March 02, 2008, 07:52:33 AM »
Okay, I'm installing the updates as we speak.  I am down for this MMORPG experience.
PSP

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #1529 on: March 02, 2008, 08:34:43 AM »
Okay, I created a Blood Elf Hunter named Lotts on the PvP server y'all play on.  Add me and stuff.  I am a total newb.
PSP

etiolate

« Reply #1530 on: March 02, 2008, 09:04:51 AM »
If they only want certain specs then they should make respeccing free and allow you to interchange gear.  Otherwise it is a grind and expensive to pvp and pve. "Well you can do one or the other" is a big fat fuck you to paying customers.

And certain specs is like sl/sl locks, which is 90 percent of locks I see in pvp. Limited class viability and build viability is BAD for pvp. It makes it boring and redundant. It also doesn't help the image that its the most skill-less specs that become the most viable in pvp, a la the mentioned soul lock specs. 

Again this wouldn't be so bad and the game would be less stale if respeccing and regearing was free and easy.  As it is now, thiings are a bit assbackwards. When I level a character, I follow other players leveling that class around the same level as me. I watched a lot of shamans, and a lot were enhance and loved it. Now they're 70 and all the PVP they did with me was so they could get Elemental gear, because its playable in PVP. Same deal with me.

And just because its the same in PVE doesn't make it right. PVE Raiding and its narrow job list is a big problem as well.

MrAngryFace

« Reply #1531 on: March 02, 2008, 01:02:14 PM »
yeah according to frag only the melee classes can pve in their pvp gear. Casters like myself lose too much sustainability with pvp gear on. I have a feeling it will be a while before you have to ponder that tho, willco
o_0

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #1532 on: March 02, 2008, 01:23:42 PM »
Yeah, it's Muradin.  My bad.  My name is Lotts.  I can play after work today (6:30 PST).
PSP

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1533 on: March 02, 2008, 01:25:25 PM »
willco, i'm going to send you some bags and a small amount of money so you don't have to sweat the most annoying bits of starting out
Tonya

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #1534 on: March 02, 2008, 01:29:27 PM »
Yay, my newb adventure begins! I don't even know what this particular class does.  I think my first quest is to go by some nearby pillar of green light that looks like Moses from South Park and stab a bunch of creatures until I'm done grinding.
PSP

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1535 on: March 02, 2008, 01:33:10 PM »
for a blood elf hunter your first quest should be to use mana tap on some of the mana wyrms

hit the escape key, go into interface, then choose advanced tab at the top.  make certain all of your action bars options are clicked on except for lock action bars

and are you sure you're a blood elf?  i can't see you online
Tonya

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #1536 on: March 02, 2008, 01:41:56 PM »
I went offline.  I have to get ready for work.  I'm taking my laptop with me - I might try to play on lunch break.  This thing can play it completely maxed out and with good AA to boot.  A first, for me.
PSP

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1537 on: March 02, 2008, 01:51:20 PM »
ok, i'll send you your care package
Tonya

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #1538 on: March 02, 2008, 03:48:57 PM »
ding 45 i rule
duc

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1539 on: March 02, 2008, 03:50:49 PM »
i said hi and prole and willco ignored me  :'(

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #1540 on: March 02, 2008, 04:41:20 PM »
you suck you shoulda joined me and Keith on BDF
乱学者

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1541 on: March 02, 2008, 04:45:09 PM »
you suck you shoulda joined me and Keith on BDF

join us!
Tonya

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #1542 on: March 02, 2008, 04:47:58 PM »
hum. you can do PVP -> PVE transfer I suppose~
乱学者

MrAngryFace

« Reply #1543 on: March 02, 2008, 04:56:47 PM »
BDF is boring gankland
o_0

T234

• Canadian Legal Expert and Hillballer
« Reply #1544 on: March 02, 2008, 04:57:53 PM »
PVP >>>>>>>>>>>> PVE
UK

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1545 on: March 02, 2008, 05:03:56 PM »
hum. you can do PVP -> PVE transfer I suppose~

i did

i was on your server but then we never talked

so i joined in the mass migration

did a paid transfer and it was ready within an hour or two
Tonya

MrAngryFace

« Reply #1546 on: March 02, 2008, 05:17:10 PM »
PVP >>> PVE if youre in a large guild and like being drug around like a bunch of distinguished mentally-challenged fellows on a short bus.

I know how to PVP, but I also know that it belongs in a controlled environment where people dont circle jerk over beating down a lone player while trolling around in the company of e-thugs.
o_0

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1547 on: March 02, 2008, 05:27:42 PM »
where people dont circle jerk over beating down a lone player while trolling around in the company of e-thugs.

this is the reason i am loathe to do any pvp in wow

or in much of anything, really
Tonya

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #1548 on: March 02, 2008, 05:28:26 PM »
double check

you're on Muradin? Horde?
乱学者

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1549 on: March 02, 2008, 05:29:19 PM »
oui

named fantomas.  lvl 32 belf
Tonya

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #1550 on: March 02, 2008, 05:30:29 PM »
hum. okay, I'll transfer over (and encourage Keith to do the same...hopefully he doesn't hate me)

but first I need to send myself 300 gold
乱学者

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1551 on: March 02, 2008, 05:33:13 PM »
we need to get prole to swing around and collect your signatures for the guild
Tonya

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #1552 on: March 02, 2008, 05:37:53 PM »
okay, it will probably take a few days to finalize, but I'm joining the winning team
乱学者

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #1553 on: March 02, 2008, 05:38:22 PM »
alright, i will recreate the guild -- i tossed the charter to help some dude in a pug sign his
duc

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1554 on: March 02, 2008, 05:40:05 PM »
okay, it will probably take a few days to finalize, but I'm joining the winning team

yeah, it said the same thing for me

but it just took a few hours

Tonya

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #1555 on: March 02, 2008, 05:44:47 PM »
It'll prolly take a few days for me
乱学者

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #1556 on: March 02, 2008, 06:30:40 PM »
I am not you
乱学者

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #1557 on: March 02, 2008, 06:38:57 PM »
okay
乱学者

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1558 on: March 02, 2008, 07:07:34 PM »
alright

I AM VERY DISAPPOINTED IN YOU, SIR

VERY DISAPPOINTED INDEED
Tonya

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #1559 on: March 02, 2008, 07:09:56 PM »
theirs nothing too be dissapointed about

I got my confirmation mail, I should hopefully be able to get it finalized tomorrow
乱学者