Author Topic: River Of Slime |OT| Mission: Impossible  (Read 3855568 times)

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Re: River Of Slime |OT| Mission: Impossible
« Reply #18660 on: June 03, 2019, 09:44:02 AM »
a BIG YIKES
dog

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #18661 on: June 03, 2019, 09:44:10 AM »
So whatever I guess.
©@©™

marrec

« Reply #18662 on: June 03, 2019, 09:44:57 AM »
 They can get pounded into the dirt with the rest of em.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #18663 on: June 03, 2019, 09:49:06 AM »
The real reason nobody cares about JonTron's white nationalist rant? Because nobody actually cares about JonTron.

The recent non stop shame/clown parade of Carl Benjamin would tend to reassure me that YouTube penetration into the "real world" has still some way to go.

I was going to point out that seemingly all of eras opinions are based on recycling what they watched some youtuber say, but then I realised that doesn't counteract your point in the slightest

e:
It also goes a long way to explaining how come they act like they've suffered a crisis of faith when some youtuber says or does some stupid shit, when you realise they don't treat these people as just some joe shmoe saying shit on the interwebs, but as personalised spiritual gurus

BisMarckie

« Reply #18664 on: June 03, 2019, 09:49:58 AM »
Dan can get fucked

:badass

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #18665 on: June 03, 2019, 09:50:41 AM »
from thebore dot com poster and portman aficionado fistfullofmetal
His desire to just be the goofy oaf that smiles isn't really working as well in the current climate. His professional image needs to grow the fuck up.

:maf :maf :maf GROW THE FUCK UP :maf :maf :maf about playing kideo games on camera :rage

BisMarckie

« Reply #18666 on: June 03, 2019, 09:52:22 AM »
Playing video games in the current climate :nope

Having a struggle sesh on your vidya podcast about unionization :ohyeah

BisMarckie

« Reply #18667 on: June 03, 2019, 09:53:36 AM »
I am surprised it took them this long to finally out Jeff Gerstmann as a gamergater.

marrec

« Reply #18668 on: June 03, 2019, 09:54:58 AM »
The real reason nobody cares about JonTron's white nationalist rant? Because nobody actually cares about JonTron.

The recent non stop shame/clown parade of Carl Benjamin would tend to reassure me that YouTube penetration into the "real world" has still some way to go.

I was going to point out that seemingly all of eras opinions are based on recycling what they watched some youtuber say, but then I realised that doesn't counteract your point in the slightest

e:
It also goes a long way to explaining how come they act like they've suffered a crisis of faith when some youtuber says or does some stupid shit, when you realise they don't treat these people as just some joe shmoe saying shit on the interwebs, but as personalised spiritual gurus

I mean, it would be silly of anyone to dismiss the influence of YouTube as a whole on popular youth culture... but someone like JonTron might as well be a cable access channel TV host for all the amount of actual influence he has on anything, especially as personality driven sketch content is being eclipsed by pop culture assimilated content and live streaming.

Nobody is going to fall into a rabbit hole of white nationalism based on JonTron's Trover advert, and this is important, UNLESS THEY FIND THE ERA THREAD in which everyone associates JonTron with white nationalism.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #18669 on: June 03, 2019, 09:57:18 AM »
the whole point of giant bomb content is being able to get a bit of generic gamer news, a little bit of the more serious union/labor talk, some hardcore nerding out about some 80s random pc you never heard of before, and then a palate cleanser like dan talking about nacho cheese or saying "i didn't know metal gear was political i thought it was just about nukes and armies and stuff" :lol

if you want all serious shit all the time go read waypoint...or don't because it got shut down

thetylerrob

« Reply #18670 on: June 03, 2019, 09:57:45 AM »
If you listened to the last podcast it sorta seems like Dan's coworkers have gotten more screechy at him lately as well. They just would not stop going in on him last episode; it got kinda uncomfortable tbh.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #18671 on: June 03, 2019, 09:57:51 AM »

Has his wife said anything about that hot conservative girl yet? :gopnik

BisMarckie

« Reply #18672 on: June 03, 2019, 09:57:51 AM »
cant wait for dan to hug jontron or some shit

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #18673 on: June 03, 2019, 09:58:26 AM »

"pounding" as a word has some sexual history that makes it unpalatable for some, to say the least

it might be best if you could modify this allegory a bit, thanks
Uncle

marrec

« Reply #18674 on: June 03, 2019, 10:00:30 AM »
If you listened to the last podcast it sorta seems like Dan's coworkers have gotten more screechy at him lately as well. They just would not stop going in on him last episode; it got kinda uncomfortable tbh.

"I didn't know Metal Gear was political" is clearly a bit and they were playing it up, I thought it was hilarious.

"pounding" as a word has some sexual history that makes it unpalatable for some, to say the least

it might be best if you could modify this allegory a bit, thanks

They can get pushed by repeated blows to the head into the dirt with the rest of em.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #18675 on: June 03, 2019, 10:02:24 AM »
yeah dan and GBE play this shit up to a pretty ridiculous extent. i felt like it was pretty obvious with how much he loves wrestling and how much they talk about "bits" on the pod

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #18676 on: June 03, 2019, 10:02:36 AM »
I am surprised it took them this long to finally out Jeff Gerstmann as a gamergater.
Not Dr. Tracksuit WWE hall of famer is a gator? Lies :thinking

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #18677 on: June 03, 2019, 10:03:13 AM »

tbh it was obvious since 8.8 gate

he doesn't need both of those N's at the end of his name

N is the 14th letter of the alphabet

so writing Jeff Gerstmann 8.8 is equivalent to Jeff Gerstman 1488
Uncle

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #18678 on: June 03, 2019, 10:05:23 AM »
I mean that JonTron idiot seems like a pretty clear cut white nationalist.. what am I missing here.
He's an idiot that makes hot takes online and has ridiculously stupid opinions that he probably hasn't thought through. To move the window so much that PDP and JonTron are white nationalists is ridiculous and makes nazi/white nationalist lose all meaning.

Straight Edge

• Boots & Braces
« Reply #18679 on: June 03, 2019, 10:06:42 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/so-ladiva-from-the-game-franchise-granblue-fantasy-is-getting-huge-praise-on-twitter-as-positive-representation-of-a-transwomen.120510/page-3

(cishet guy) I thought it was a nice design because her gender identity is respected, fitting in with gender norms (about appearance) be damned.

Guess I've got much more to learn, going by the responses in this thread.

Google exists, shitlord.
Oi Oi

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #18680 on: June 03, 2019, 10:08:22 AM »
Oh no, an anime game doesn't conform to western standards  :rage

marrec

« Reply #18681 on: June 03, 2019, 10:08:57 AM »
I mean that JonTron idiot seems like a pretty clear cut white nationalist.. what am I missing here.

Why him having a 30s advert on YouTube actually makes a practical difference in anyone's life? He's a D grade YouTube celebrity who, unlike some other more popular YouTubers, doesn't flirt with or espouse White Nationalism adjacent garbage on his main channel. Justin Roiland (more accurately, the ad people who work with Roiland) tapping him for a commercial does not in any way advance white nationalism or even make JonTron more popular. It's literally nothing against the great vacuum of content on YouTube. 95% of the posters grousing about it on ERA will forget all about it by lunch on Thursday BECAUSE IT DOESN'T ACTUALLY MATTER.

paprikastaude

« Reply #18682 on: June 03, 2019, 10:09:40 AM »
He's an idiot that makes hot takes online and has ridiculously stupid opinions that he probably hasn't thought through. To move the window so much that PDP and JonTron are white nationalists is ridiculous and makes nazi/white nationalist lose all meaning.

PDP is probably just a dumb af edgy spastic who doesn't understand his attempts at "comedy" are trash. While Jontron talked Mein Kampf-tier shit about how black people disturb the white gene pool.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18683 on: June 03, 2019, 10:11:00 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/so-ladiva-from-the-game-franchise-granblue-fantasy-is-getting-huge-praise-on-twitter-as-positive-representation-of-a-transwomen.120510/page-3

(cishet guy) I thought it was a nice design because her gender identity is respected, fitting in with gender norms (about appearance) be damned.

Guess I've got much more to learn, going by the responses in this thread.

Google exists, shitlord.

Why are they not getting all offended over her exposed thighs? :thinking
ど助平

BisMarckie

« Reply #18684 on: June 03, 2019, 10:11:18 AM »

All you need to see that America has completely gone off the rails is that Dan Ryckert is the most reasonable duder out there.

BisMarckie

« Reply #18685 on: June 03, 2019, 10:16:02 AM »
I just want to put on record that benji and I knew about Jeff Gerstmann‘s gamergate ties for years and have warned all of you.
You didn‘t listen! Now you‘re caught on the wrong side of history!

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #18686 on: June 03, 2019, 10:17:31 AM »

PDP is probably just a dumb af edgy spastic who doesn't understand his attempts at "comedy" are trash. While Jontron talked Mein Kampf-tier shit about how black people disturb the white gene pool.

Oh yeah I don't think anyone doubt JonTron is a tool and he explicitly endorsed that shit.

I think we're mocking ERA being full throttle all the time really.
ὕβρις

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #18687 on: June 03, 2019, 10:20:07 AM »

I think he's hung out with Carl of Akkad a bit too much and was embarrassed by Destiny so he got butthurt and changed the goalposts. I'm used to apartheid so from my point of view this dude's just an edge lord that got pulled into shit he had no business talking about and got got.

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #18688 on: June 03, 2019, 10:20:14 AM »
i really enjoyed the absolute car crash of that jontron eugenics outing. it was like learning about a bloke not believing in gravity while he was in the middle of jumping off a bridge only to break both legs at the bottom.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #18689 on: June 03, 2019, 10:21:04 AM »
Why him having a 30s advert on YouTube actually makes a practical difference in anyone's life? He's a D grade YouTube celebrity

huh, would you look at that

https://socialblade.com/youtube/user/jontron

wait wait that's the wrong guy

https://socialblade.com/youtube/user/jontronshow

I'm actually surprised he's in the top 1500 youtube channels
Uncle

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #18690 on: June 03, 2019, 10:23:22 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/giant-bomb-ot-14-bigdickdaddydom.115512/post-21378450
He really should've ran the email past Alex or Austin. I have a hard time believing that the rest of the crew signed off on this.
:lol "my woke idols would never allow the letters 'wwe' to be mentioned"

https://www.resetera.com/threads/giant-bomb-ot-14-bigdickdaddydom.115512/post-21378609
To the surprise of no one... Zero reactions on the official forums
WHY IS NO ONE ELSE AS MAD AT ME OVER THIS :rage

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #18691 on: June 03, 2019, 10:23:59 AM »

So because you think he didn't think through his clear support of a White Nationalist congressman which he then backed up by spouting racist BS "factoids".. he's...

I dunno, I get what you are saying.. he's not some  political activist constantly espousing racist views, but come on.  I don't see how you can genuinely lump PDP in with JonTron.
I don't believe PDP to be anywhere near having as terrible opinions as JonTron or the like. The trick Riotous Potter, is laughing that Ree will mix PDP in with real white supremacists and the like because they are unable to rationalize the real world.

marrec

« Reply #18692 on: June 03, 2019, 10:24:23 AM »
What does the newsletter say?

I mean, they talk about the WWE all the damn time across both coasts, why is this newsletter getting people frothy?

BisMarckie

« Reply #18693 on: June 03, 2019, 10:24:30 AM »
To the surprise of no one... Zero reactions on the official forums

GB forums full of nazis. :rage

The same dude who is having a meltdown was blocked on twitter by Abby because she thought he was a sex pest. :teehee

marrec

« Reply #18694 on: June 03, 2019, 10:26:43 AM »

So because you think he didn't think through his clear support of a White Nationalist congressman which he then backed up by spouting racist BS "factoids".. he's...

I dunno, I get what you are saying.. he's not some  political activist constantly espousing racist views, but come on.  I don't see how you can genuinely lump PDP in with JonTron.
I don't believe PDP to be anywhere near having as terrible opinions as JonTron or the like. The trick Riotous Potter, is laughing that Ree will mix PDP in with real white supremacists and the like because they are unable to rationalize the real world.

They mix in PDP with real white supremacists and then mix in anyone he touches into that bowl. He's the nazi King Midas.

Then they use this terrible "guilt by association" logic for confirmation bias. "Well, he retweeted a guy who was on PDPs show once so THAT'S STRIKE ONE"

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #18695 on: June 03, 2019, 10:26:56 AM »
What does the newsletter say?

I mean, they talk about the WWE all the damn time across both coasts, why is this newsletter getting people frothy?

no1curr giant bomb newsletter wrassle talk
In the last year or so, I’ve seen a number of my friends lose interest in WWE and stop watching altogether. Despite this, I’ve dutifully continued watching the weekly shows and monthly pay-per-views, and I think I know why. It’s because I first discovered and fell in love with pro wrestling in 1993. It was too late to have childhood memories of Hogan, Savage, and the Ultimate Warrior in the prime of their sweaty, screamy careers. It was too early to have my first memories of wrestling consist of the exciting mayhem of the Attitude Era and the Monday Night Wars. Nope, I fell in love with the industry during the era of wrestling clowns, tax collectors, and garbagemen.

This is all to say that comparatively, things aren’t all that bad now. WWE currently has the greatest roster in the history of the company, so I’ll sit through some seemingly directionless creative decisions if it means I get to watch Seth Rollins, Daniel Bryan, and Andrade instead of Mantaur, Ludvig Borga, and Bastion Booger.

Unfortunately, it was far easier to look past the low points when I was nine years old. I’d like to think I haven’t grown cynical in the quarter of a century I’ve been watching WWE, but there’s no denying that the current product (at least on the main roster) leaves a lot to be desired. Recent additions like the “wild card rule” and the 24/7 Championship reek of last-minute, Band-Aid ideas to boost the sagging ratings and dwindling fan interest. Raw and Smackdown have a combined five hours of weekly TV time, yet they somehow never seem to find the time to fully utilize exceptional talent like Cesaro, Finn Balor, Aleister Black, and The Revival. More damning still are the reports of numerous Superstars requesting their release from the company in recent months.

Public perception of the company is at a low, with mainstream coverage of WWE shining a light on controversial practices like the wrestlers’ independent contractor statuses or the company’s lucrative dealings with Saudi Arabia. Regardless of your thoughts on the politics of the latter issue, there’s no denying that the Saudi shows have a major negative impact on the TV product in the weeks leading up to them. Why should fans get invested in these short builds to a show that most of us won’t be able to watch live (thanks to its Friday afternoon air time), featuring matches that will never be acknowledged again?

It’d be unfair to say that WWE is failing on all fronts, however. When the stars align, they can still knock a story out of the park. We saw that just a couple of months ago at WrestleMania with the crowning of Becky Lynch and Kofi Kingston (despite the uneven builds in the months preceding). They’ve even done a killer job with making a genuine new star in Ali, who’s getting cheers out of everyone from children to jaded internet fans.

If there were ever a time for a company to have a fighting chance at becoming an alternative to WWE, it’s right now. Attempts in the past have been straight-up sad to watch, particularly TNA’s 2010 move to Monday nights. However, last weekend served as the first glimmer of hope that a true alternative to the monolith of WWE might arise.

AEW’s Double or Nothing was just one show, and the road to becoming a genuine threat to WWE will be long and difficult even if everything goes as smoothly as possible. But man oh man was it refreshing to see. Other promotions have tried to recapture wrestling’s past with lame retreads of the Attitude Era (TNA) or ECW (WWE’s relaunch of ECW). When Double or Nothing wanted to evoke wrestling’s past, it did so in the dramatic battle between the sons of Dusty Rhodes. When that match used blood -- and lots of it -- it did so in service of the story, not just because everyone bladed all the time during the boom period of the late 90s.

It didn’t lean on aging stars, a tactic that eventually went poorly for WCW. Chris Jericho is nearing 50, but his place in the company makes perfect sense considering his history and recent work. Of course the self-absorbed wrestling journeyman that’s found success in every promotion imaginable would want to further cement his untouchable legacy by succeeding in the newest promotion in town and reinventing himself once again. Plus, he’s just one character, not a cavalcade of aging stars like Ted Turner brought in during the mid-90s (also, 2019 Chris Jericho is way better than most of the WWF cast-offs were back then).

While the first half of Double or Nothing wasn’t quite as exciting as the second, the match variety was still incredibly refreshing to see. For all the talent WWE has on its roster, so many of the company’s matches seem to follow a similar formula. Sure, you’ll see more high-flying in a Ricochet match than you will when Bobby Lashley is in the ring, but the rhythm of most matches feels similar. Double or Nothing completely avoided that. At one point the show went from a six-woman Joshi tag team match to a bloody Southern brawl to a balls-to-the-wall Lucha-style tag. Boredom doesn’t come easy when variety is around every corner.

As much as I enjoyed Double or Nothing, I’m not gonna jump the gun and agree with the tweets predicting WWE’s imminent demise. AEW has a lot going for it -- the praise for this first official show, the Khan family’s money, a roster filled with young and hungry talent, a perfect window to garner enthusiasm while WWE is at a low point and fans are craving an alternative -- but it’s going to be a very long road. Mainstream audiences won’t know most of this roster at first. Putting on one exciting show is a very different beast than maintaining engaging storylines week after week once the TNT TV deal starts. Having talent lead creative has led to issues in wrestling’s past, and we already saw one hiccup with the PAC situation before the first AEW show even aired. We’ve yet to see AEW’s full profit-making potential through merch, vendor deals, and advertisers. Double or Nothing was a thrilling night of wrestling and might eventually be regarded as the kick-off point for something massive, but it’s too early to know for sure.

Two nights after Double or Nothing, I turned on Raw and wondered if I’d see any indication of a renewed sense of urgency. Instead, I saw Brock Lesnar dancing with a boombox in a moment that made me think of Jerry Lawler begging the crowd to “Fandango” more than anything else. If WWE is at all concerned about AEW, they’re clearly not showing it yet. It seems like business as usual right now in McMahon-land, and that’s the last thing I want to see after getting a glimpse of something as new as Double or Nothing.

Unlike some, I am not rooting for AEW to rise up and destroy WWE. I want AEW to succeed so that a fire is lit under WWE and the competition brings out the best in both companies. As Dean Ambrose (I mean Jon Moxley...oh yeah, did I mention that DEAN AMBROSE debuted in what felt like the biggest, most shocking moment of the night and he seemed more fired up and alive than I’ve ever seen him in WWE?) said in his first AEW backstage promo, this was a “declaration of war.” Both WWE and AEW are stacked with incredible talent right now, and a war between them could lead to a more exciting era of professional wrestling than we’ve seen in two decades. No matter what, the back half of 2019 is going to be a hell of a lot more interesting than anything I was watching back in 1993.
[close]

basically "i hope new wrestle company AEW forces WWE to get better"

AKA BOTH SIDES WRESTLE CENTRISM :rage

Boredfrom

« Reply #18696 on: June 03, 2019, 10:27:03 AM »
i really enjoyed the absolute car crash of that jontron eugenics outing. it was like learning about a bloke not believing in gravity while he was in the middle of jumping off a bridge only to break both legs at the bottom.

The funniest thing is that his parents are immigrants themselves. Hell, many of his buddies of Normal Boots are also this.

Straight Edge

• Boots & Braces
« Reply #18697 on: June 03, 2019, 10:33:01 AM »
Funny that resetera thinks legal immigrants should feel some kinship with illegal ones. If anything they would dislike them more.
Oi Oi

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #18698 on: June 03, 2019, 10:34:46 AM »
the doofus of the past always believed a fair amount of dumb shit, but thanks to not being exposed to JORDAN PETERSON LAYS THE SMACKDOWN ON LIBS etc everytime they started up their browser, that dumb shit was usually limited to aliens smoking weed and building the pyramids tier revelations.

jontron just struck me as a doofus who listened to the wrong shit.

Boredfrom

« Reply #18699 on: June 03, 2019, 10:35:58 AM »
Funny that resetera thinks legal immigrants should feel some kinship with illegal ones. If anything they would dislike them more.

Is good that Trump doesn’t even want legal immigrants anymore.  :awesome

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #18700 on: June 03, 2019, 10:36:06 AM »
I understand laughing at the over-reaction to PDP;  this JonTron guy just seems to be on another level to me.   I don't find it as funny to laugh at their reaction to him as it is quite a bit more rational.
I dunno, I think this dude has been scaremongered and is working from incorrect foundations. He seems to think foreigners coming in won't adopt American norms and they will be overun by browns with a different set of cultural values. To me he just seems like an idiot that got butthurt for being called out and doubled down so as not to take the L. This is all a personal opinion/intuition from having been around real racists all my life but he'll probably change his tune in the future sometime after some life experience.

thetylerrob

« Reply #18701 on: June 03, 2019, 10:37:39 AM »
How old is Jontron? I feel like becoming wealthy/successful before late 20's is a pretty easy way to become a moron surrounded by yes men.

paprikastaude

« Reply #18702 on: June 03, 2019, 10:38:49 AM »
cant wait for dan to hug jontron or some shit

Obama shaking hands with Trump two years ago = nazi confirmed forever.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #18703 on: June 03, 2019, 10:39:56 AM »
Obama could have droned Trump while he was in office, in not doing so he refused to do his duty to punch a Nazi with a missile to the face so he is complicit.

marrec

« Reply #18704 on: June 03, 2019, 10:40:56 AM »
I understand laughing at the over-reaction to PDP;  this JonTron guy just seems to be on another level to me.   I don't find it as funny to laugh at their reaction to him as it is quite a bit more rational.

JonTron had what could be described as "an episode" of white nationalism. There wasn't anything before and hasn't been since. Likely because someone close to him told him to shut up about it, but either way it's hard to get incredibly worked up about it because he's not Ben Shapiroing it up every week.

It looks to me like he heard a friend say some stupid shit and repeated it without critical analysis, which still makes him an idiot shithead, but I doubt he's booking trips to Unite The Right rallies.

BisMarckie

« Reply #18705 on: June 03, 2019, 10:44:17 AM »
How about :no1curr

marrec

« Reply #18706 on: June 03, 2019, 10:45:49 AM »
How about :no1curr

Again, who actually cares about JonTron? Why does this matter beyond confirmation basis for a co-creator of a popular TV show that lefties seem to hate for no reason?

We don't need to publicly say "fuck that guy" because the vast majority of the response is going to be "who?"

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #18707 on: June 03, 2019, 10:45:58 AM »

JonTron had what could be described as "an episode" of white nationalism. There wasn't anything before and hasn't been since. Likely because someone close to him told him to shut up about it, but either way it's hard to get incredibly worked up about it because he's not Ben Shapiroing it up every week.

It looks to me like he heard a friend say some stupid shit and repeated it without critical analysis, which still makes him an idiot shithead, but I doubt he's booking trips to Unite The Right rallies.

I think he continued to be butthurt about the way he was treated on twitter

which is petulant but being mad that some people called you a white supremacist is not quite the same thing as actually being a white supremacist

he did the Frank Grimes thing for a while

"OH, LOOK AT ME!  I MADE A BAD JOKE, I MUST BE A NAZI!"
Uncle

Boredfrom

« Reply #18708 on: June 03, 2019, 10:47:04 AM »
So because people commit genocide a guy who merely says racist shit and supports racist people isn't a "real racist", and we must sit around pontificating about how the poor moron got to this place and assume he might grow out of it?

Or how about fuck that guy.

I mean, is he like Sargon and getting involved in politics?

marrec

« Reply #18709 on: June 03, 2019, 10:50:06 AM »
I just think it takes some reee-ing (that I don't have the energy to do) to even get people like that to shut up.  So it's a good thing that the reee-ers exist in this case, as the guy seems to have shut the fuck up.

In a case like that, I'm not going to sit around laughing at them continuing to reeee.

It doesn't actually, because once someone crosses the line and starts pontificating about Race Science and Miscegenation most normal, rational people are going to recoil and/or try to reign him in. JonTron would have shut the fuck up about it regardless of GAFs minimal impact backlash.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #18710 on: June 03, 2019, 10:51:34 AM »
So because people commit genocide a guy who merely says racist shit and supports racist people isn't a "real racist", and we must sit around pontificating about how the poor moron got to this place and assume he might grow out of it?

Or how about fuck that guy.

I mean, is he like Sargon and getting involved in politics?

here I will play #bothsides

"Yeah we should probably save our concern and deplatforming efforts for the actual bad guys here"

"Listen, we can do more than one thing at a time, don't be whataboutist"
Uncle

Boredfrom

« Reply #18711 on: June 03, 2019, 10:54:07 AM »
I just think it takes some reee-ing (that I don't have the energy to do) to even get people like that to shut up.  So it's a good thing that the reee-ers exist in this case, as the guy seems to have shut the fuck up.

In a case like that, I'm not going to sit around laughing at them continuing to reeee.

It doesn't actually, because once someone crosses the line and starts pontificating about Race Science and Miscegenation most normal, rational people are going to recoil and/or try to reign him in. JonTron would have shut the fuck up about it regardless of GAFs minimal impact backlash.

Probably true.

And the pound people into the dirt stuff is funny.

But still.. what the fuck is the Rick and Morty guy thinking?

He doesn’t care about d celebrity drama and JonTron is still a popular YouTuber with a strong fanbase.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #18712 on: June 03, 2019, 10:54:21 AM »
I want bad ideas to be debunked not shut up. In JonTron's case his idea is so bad and has been debunked so much he can shut his pie hole and go learn some stuff tho.

marrec

« Reply #18713 on: June 03, 2019, 10:57:07 AM »

Probably true.

And the pound people into the dirt stuff is funny.

But still.. what the fuck is the Rick and Morty guy thinking?

2 possible scenarios:

1) He saw a JonTron vid once and thought "hey, that gaming youtube guy seems to have similar humor to me lets get him for a commercial" and went on about his day

2) He googled "funny gaming youtuber" and somehow landed on JonTrons channel

Neither scenario clues him into the one, few weeks long episode years ago in which JonTron decided to be a giant racist.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #18714 on: June 03, 2019, 10:57:54 AM »
Meh. This is how it was on Game Informer as well. They're just comfortable enough with each other to be direct.

Makes me miss Ryan. Can you even imagine the things he'd say to Dan? :tocry

marrec

« Reply #18715 on: June 03, 2019, 10:59:12 AM »
He doesn’t care about d celebrity drama and JonTron is still a popular YouTuber with a strong fanbase.

There's a contradiction here..

Popular youtuber with strong fanbase != an actual celebrity in any form of the word.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #18716 on: June 03, 2019, 10:59:18 AM »
JonTron's gene pool rant was brain-tumor level of absurd, the only weird thing is that it kind of came out of the left field (as opposed to more edgy/political characters, like Milo, Sargon or whatever), so i can see him walk it back and apologize for it.

I don't have enough interest in the subject to see if he did, just hypothetically.

He still has more than 5 million subs though, so the blowback can't have been too devastating for him.

Boredfrom

« Reply #18717 on: June 03, 2019, 10:59:45 AM »

Youtubers are not minor celebrities?

Boredfrom

« Reply #18718 on: June 03, 2019, 11:02:42 AM »
I want bad ideas to be debunked not shut up. In JonTron's case his idea is so bad and has been debunked so much he can shut his pie hole and go learn some stuff tho.

I mean I agree but it's just a bad idea to have some popular YouTuber whose content is probably watched by a lot of children and teens to be going around spouting off that shit. 

Thing about "debunking" is it's in the eye of the beholder;  we have grown adults who will back Chris Brown beating up his girlfriend in this world it's not a stretch to think a bunch of kids would back JonTron's arguments no matter how much rational people think his arguments are debunked.

So it's a good thing to have a guy like that shut the fuck up.

But his videos are not political at all, and he decided to shut up about talking of politics in general since the backlash.

marrec

« Reply #18719 on: June 03, 2019, 11:05:53 AM »

Popular youtuber with strong fanbase != an actual celebrity in any form of the word.

It's a different world now dude;  5 million subscribers is a lot. 

That's more subscribers than plenty of people we consider "celebrities" have ever had viewers of TV shows they've been on.  They just don't have the same level of media supporting them (gossip shows, magazines.)

I'm old and out of the loop so it's hard for me to declare anyone a non-celebrity.

It IS a different world now, a world in which 5 million subscribers makes you a small time web celeb not able to make a greater pop culture impact.