Author Topic: star trek  (Read 334649 times)

Himu

Re: star trek
« Reply #1260 on: August 11, 2018, 12:08:30 AM »
Prequels are the worst. It’s like, who cares unless you’re a die hard and want to know to know more lore?

I feel that way despite liking discovery.
IYKYK

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #1261 on: August 11, 2018, 12:29:36 AM »
Chris Pine's Kirk is pretty great, but I wouldn't mind seeing someone else take over the role.

No more Kirks please.

Make 👏🏻 new 👏🏻 things 👏🏻

I'm all for new things but let's be real. They aren't making new trek movies with crew no one has ever heard of. Trek movies only exist on the back of established characters.

This is exactly why Discovery should never have been a prequel. Goddamnit.

Even if Discovery had been a future show, it is highly unlikely imo movies would have been made of it. Trek in the movies only works if the characters are basically ingrained into pop culture. TV Trek can be successful and profitable but it doesn't fit into the mainstream of pop culture that way in the modern world.

As far as old stuff, I'm fine with Trek exploring past timelines with new characters. I'm less a fan when the older major characters come to dominate those storylines for a number of reasons.

All that being said, rather than hard and rigid rules, I tend to judge something based on whether I like that specific thing or not rather than the preconceived notions I might bring to the table initially.

Which is why I won't prejudge the picard led trek show or the new season of discovery going with Pike and crew despite how those things tend to make me skeptical.

Himu

« Reply #1262 on: August 11, 2018, 12:34:27 AM »
I didn’t know Star Trek was that popular before the motion picture. I thought the motion picture is what made Star Trek mainstream. I thought Star Trek while having its fanbase wasn’t that popular in its initial run or even reruns?Could be wrong.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 01:37:14 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #1263 on: August 11, 2018, 01:24:26 AM »
Hearing how my dad told it, Trek didn't really take off until Wrath of Khan, though there was a dedicated but small base before that. The movies kept it alive until TNG cemented the franchise overall (after like, the first 1.5 seasons.)

I'm not convinced a smaller-budget Star Trek movie with a new crew wouldn't be money, but who honestly knows anymore.

Himu

« Reply #1264 on: August 11, 2018, 01:32:24 AM »
Yeah as far I know, trek had a base but was decidedly cult until the movies.

Trek isn’t Star Wars. I think it can subsist post-Voyager in film form and people would dig it if it were good. Trek doesn’t have the same obligations as other franchises of its caliber due to its emphasis on adventure and all the different races. It has no obligation to Jedi or Sith. All you need is the Federation.

In fact I think film is the best way to launch post-Voyager Trek timeline. Because it’ll give non die hards a reason  to check the tv show.

I think Stoney is doing the mistake many have done and that’s,”if it worked for tng it should be the basic template the rest of the series.”
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 01:37:43 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1265 on: August 11, 2018, 01:40:22 AM »
Speaking of TNG I have a hankering for Darmok.

If there’s one episode that I feel embodies what Trek best represents that I would use to get anyone new to Trek to watch and hopefully fall in love with the premise it would be that one.

GOAT Trek ep imo.
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #1266 on: August 11, 2018, 01:43:33 AM »
Darmok's great, but like... urge to list wars rising. :doge

Best of Both Worlds, Unification, Yesterday's Enterprise, Inner Light, The Pegasus, Chain of Command...

Though I think Family is my personal TNG GOAT. It's so hard to choose.

Himu

« Reply #1267 on: August 11, 2018, 01:47:03 AM »
Is Family the one where Picard gets a family and...*tears fall down cheek*

No wait that’s the one here he visits the farm. Another GOAT.
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #1268 on: August 11, 2018, 01:48:33 AM »
Yeah it's the farm ep with his brother and nephew, with that great heartwarming ending Generations proceeded to take a big steamy shit on.

Himu

« Reply #1269 on: August 11, 2018, 01:58:03 AM »
For me what makes Star Trek great are a few components:

- adventure
- cheese
- drama
- hope for the future, for humanity, for goodness
- communication and understanding between those different than us

For me, the episode that excels at all these elements the best is Darmok.

It’s got adventure. Picard is stuck on a planet being attacked by an unknown force without being able to beam out.

It’s got cheese. Darmok and Jalad in Tanagra is so cheesy and has fueled so many memes. It’s cheesy as fuck. When the walls fell.

But it works because it takes itself seriously while being self aware how ridiculous this all is because the stakes couldn’t be higher and Picard has to find a way to communicate with this stranger.

And somehow despite all the barriers, despite being attacked by an unknown enemy. Despite the stress they find a way to communicate in spite of their differences which gives us hope we can achieve almost anything and perhaps be able to extend a hand to others different from us.

Perfect Trek episode. 10/10. If anyone I know is interested in Trek I suggest they watch that and see if they like it. If they do, I know we’ve got a fellow Trekker. :jawalrus
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 02:48:30 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1270 on: August 11, 2018, 01:59:12 AM »
Yeah it's the farm ep with his brother and nephew, with that great heartwarming ending Generations proceeded to take a big steamy shit on.

I think Lower Decks is the better series finale. :yeshrug

I remember watching TNG series finale the night it premiered. I was very, very confused.
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #1271 on: August 11, 2018, 02:07:38 AM »
You mean All Good Things?

Although it's a great finale (especially the ending poker scene) it still functions pretty well as a standalone ep I think.

Himu

« Reply #1272 on: August 11, 2018, 02:08:25 AM »
I love the poker scene.
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #1273 on: August 11, 2018, 02:08:35 AM »
I wish I could talk like this about Buffy and Angel here with someone (other than benji.) :'(

I wanna do an Angel rewatch soon, maybe I'll make a thread.

Tasty

« Reply #1274 on: August 11, 2018, 02:09:27 AM »
I love the poker scene.

Since I watched episodes out of order in syndication, it wasn't until my third or fourth rewatch of the ep that I realized it was the first (and only) time Picard showed up to play poker. It's touches like that which really elevate a show to a cut above.

Himu

« Reply #1275 on: August 11, 2018, 02:12:02 AM »
I’ve watched Buffy but it’s been a while. I can marathon it for you. Or should I watch Voyager first? *evil smile*

And yeah it shows that Picard learns there’s more to life than duty. Quite a great scene. Still prefer Lower Decks. :p
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #1276 on: August 11, 2018, 02:13:26 AM »
I don't even remember that one. :lol Maybe it's time for a TNG rewatch. :doge

Himu

« Reply #1277 on: August 11, 2018, 02:15:43 AM »
Ahhhh something about TNG. I love DS9 and it’s my favorite Trek and what I consider the best of the franchise but something about TNG is like a warm glass of a milk. Or a scratching a really deep itch. The penultimate in comfort food tv.
IYKYK

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1278 on: August 11, 2018, 05:54:31 AM »

I think Lower Decks is the better series finale. :yeshrug

I remember watching TNG series finale the night it premiered. I was very, very confused.

Oh, holy shit, LOWER DECKS. 

What a fucking wonderful gut-punch that episode is. Just amazing.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1279 on: August 11, 2018, 05:55:35 AM »
I wish I could talk like this about Buffy and Angel here with someone (other than benji.) :'(

I wanna do an Angel rewatch soon, maybe I'll make a thread.

Make the thread. I'll finish the series and watch with you.

But I won't be buying the s8 comics, be forewarned.

Himu

« Reply #1280 on: August 11, 2018, 09:39:58 AM »
I think Lower Decks, when combined with the upper officer staff poker scenes edited in, would have been the best tng finale.

It takes the story full circle. It’s called The Next Generation, right? Well, here’s the current generation of Star fleets best: Picard, Riker, Worf, Crusher, Troi, Data. But juxtapose that with the next generation of star fleet officers and their struggles. The risks of command. But also the fruits. The junior officers are playing their own poker game, then transition to the older guys and for the first time Picard walks into play. Then, dun dun dunnnnnn....where no one has ever gone before. Fade out. All Good Things feels too Picard centric to be a series finale for my taste.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 09:44:35 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #1281 on: August 12, 2018, 04:21:50 AM »
"All Good Things..." takes the story full circle too. The Q and Picard story about the trial of humanity's right to exist that began in "Encounter at Farpoint" and was extended into "Q Who?" with The Borg, etc. As well as showing that the family fell apart because of some event, and it's hinted that it was due to Picard's declining mental health and the death of Troi without him to hold it together. And it's through that trip into the Q future that Picard, who has rejected family to this point, realizes that the D senior staff has become his family and so he finally joins them to make up for whatever failed in Q's scenario. (This arguably is what harms three of the four films, and Nemesis most of all, because the family is sidelined when throughout all of TNG, they were there to help and back up emotionally Data and Picard or whoever was having the problem of the week. That doesn't happen in Nemesis. Compare to The Undiscovered Country where despite the Kirk and Spock plotlines, everyone gets a chance to do something for the swan song.)

"You just don't get it, do you, Jean-Luc? The trial never ends."
"See you... out there!"

benjipwns

« Reply #1282 on: August 12, 2018, 04:37:15 AM »
I didn’t know Star Trek was that popular before the motion picture. I thought the motion picture is what made Star Trek mainstream. I thought Star Trek while having its fanbase wasn’t that popular in its initial run or even reruns?Could be wrong.
The Motion Picture happened because Star Trek became popular enough for one.

Star Trek did decently in its original run, and because there was less metrics back in the day, the letter writing campaign (and Roddenberry leaving) helped get it a low budget third season when NBC was leaning towards cancelling it.

Where Trek blew up was that those episodes were repacked and syndicated like crazy, it was in the early 1970's like a few years ago when you could always watch Seinfeld every night. Trek created the syndication market for hour TV shows essentially.

So even though Paramount was intending to launch a network (that became Fox, and Paramount then launched a later network, UPN, with Voyager) with Trek: Phase 2 as the headlining show, even when that fell through they looked to first-run syndication as a follow up. (TNG turned this into a legit thing that made huge money for a period.) A confluence of factors led to Phase Two being reworked into The Motion Picture. (The largest being that unlike the other shows, sets/models were already being built and they had spent millions developing the series, which included a two-hour pilot script.)

But Paramount clearly didn't have total faith in it, which is why they slashed the budget to pennies, even for the era, and gave the show over to a non-fan who rebuilt it into Wrath of Khan, The Search For Spock, The Voyage Home and The Undiscovered Country creating the first "shared and developing universe" multi-arcs that TNG and DS9 would build off of.

TMP nearly killed Trek and got Roddenberry kicked off it again. The studio hated it, it cost so much in the end that Paramount didn't significantly make money on it even though it's the highest grossing Trek film ever. (The "budget" figure of $46 million doesn't include the Phase Two costs.) Khan saved the franchise. This process would repeat with TNG. (Which also used reworked Phase 2 scripts early on. Riker and Troi for example are stand-ins for Decker and Ilia. Xon became Data.)

benjipwns

« Reply #1283 on: August 12, 2018, 04:40:32 AM »
Amusingly enough, after factoring in inflation, Khan's entire original budget was the same as how much they spent on three episodes of Discovery in the first season. :lol

Himu

« Reply #1284 on: August 12, 2018, 10:29:04 AM »
All Great Things does come full circle but it’s still too Picard centric for me. I wish there weren’t more emphasis on the group.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 12:04:02 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1285 on: August 12, 2018, 05:12:59 PM »
Chris Pine's Kirk is pretty great, but I wouldn't mind seeing someone else take over the role.

I'd honestly like to see Abram's universe get expanded into TNG

Tasty

« Reply #1286 on: August 12, 2018, 05:22:51 PM »

I'd honestly like to see Abram's universe get expanded into TNG

I had that thought a loooong time ago (basically when Trek 09 came out.) It might be cool to see but I can tell they'd fuck it up like the TNG movies -- having a guy shave his head as young Picard even though TNG explicitly showed him having hair in his youth. :doge

Tasty

« Reply #1287 on: August 14, 2018, 01:57:36 PM »

Himu

« Reply #1288 on: August 14, 2018, 06:02:06 PM »
Gul Dukat GOAT
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1289 on: August 14, 2018, 06:05:09 PM »
Tbh all the cardassian characters in DS9 are great
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1290 on: August 14, 2018, 11:56:04 PM »
I was about to say, Damar has an impressive character arc over the course of the series. And Garak? :delicious

Himu

« Reply #1291 on: August 15, 2018, 12:00:36 AM »
Damar is :lawd

Then you've got Dukat's daughter too.

And Kira's relationships with Cardassian's.

Wew the character development on that show.  :whew
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #1292 on: August 15, 2018, 12:07:23 AM »

No more Kirks please.

Make 👏🏻 new 👏🏻 things 👏🏻

I'm all for new things but let's be real. They aren't making new trek movies with crew no one has ever heard of. Trek movies only exist on the back of established characters.
Why not though? Why wouldn’t that work? Because it hasn’t been done before? Maybe the problem is that the movies have too much of a reliance on established characters. I think they should try a movie series with a movie only crew, but they won’t.

Himu

« Reply #1293 on: August 15, 2018, 12:08:59 AM »
This just got me thinking. Is there a single character in DS9 (major or minor) with a regular role that doesn't have an arc? i can't think of one.
IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #1294 on: August 15, 2018, 02:15:41 AM »
Back when they did the JJ reboot I suggested a number of places that the whole "showing Trek to a new generation" thing was bupkis, especially since it was more like Star Wars, and doubly so because everyone at this point "gets" Trek through the caricatures. This has even spread into TNG at this point with all the Picard memes and stuff.

That if you really wanted to give Trek to a new generation you would do it just like TNG did, like VOY did, and like ENT tried. Each generation should get their own crew to "grow up" with.

All of us here know Kirk/Spock/etc. and a lot of us even prefer Sisko/Garak/etc. but by and large we "grew up" with the TNG cast, they were our first and the ones who brought us into things every week. Those of us who started a little bit earlier with the Trek films didn't get them every week so it wasn't the same experience as what TNG would bring.

Guardians is proof you can take characters nobody knows and make it a billion dollar franchise. The Abramsverse films had the old characters, and ran through all the beats like McCoy is onry, Spock is logical, Kirk is reckless, KHAAAAAAAAAAN!!! but they didn't exactly sell anybody on it as a franchise or an universe that exists outside of their hijinks until Beyond. And by that point, people had tuned out the reboot. The reboot wasn't even necessary except that they were so adamant about keeping it tied to the original canon and bringing in Nimoy. I have a long carepost here or on GAF about how had they not tried that it would have eliminated half the plotholes, if they made it just "unseen adventures with Kirk/Spock" or whatever. In CANON there's seven years of the crews missions that have never been explored outside of the second-tier canon comics and novels. Beyond arguably fits into this fairly well, while the other two films don't. Discovery is now mining the Pike years, and Pike in ST09 also fits the "canon" they wanted to preserve so hard.

Abrams/ENT/DIS have a similar problem in that they're trying to tell stories pre-TOS when our real lives are advancing faster than anything. Which was why VOY visits LA had to ignore the global war supposed to be happening at the time. When TNG kicked ahead 80 years, while in real life moving ahead two decades, it let it stay ever so ahead of us. Now it's antiques, PADDs have less capabilities than iPads and Kindles. (Link to scene I can't find where Riker hands Picard like ten PADDs to read because apparently tabs were lost.)

When ENT went back, it had to deal with not only our real world advancement, but also the fact that it had to look "older" than TOS, until they just gave up and said "okay, we have transporters again" because it was too story restricting.

But I've digressed. The other key TNG got from the time skip was that it could rework the galactic scene. Klingons were now friends? Where were the Romulans? Meet the Ferengi! The Borg! The Cardassians! The Bajorians! (The Dominion!) ENT and DIS are playing in established waters. And then when they do something decent like the Xindi arc, it's something that you think someone might have mentioned in the future. And the show never got to the Romulan War, and when it started hinting at it, it was fighting with the prior canon establishing that in-person contact was never actually made between the two sides and that the weapons were lower tier than what the show had already used in season one. You get that in our modern treatment of recent history, but never to that extent to where the historical records are somehow getting worse.

So kinda like that proposed cartoon series, what they should have done was jump ahead 50-100 years, still have all the races we know and love stopping by, but with a new diverse crew, new aliens, etc. Basically what TNG did and DS9 went hardcore about. The New Frontier books are arguably a better template than VOY which filled up the show with Borgs, Vulcans, Klingons, etc. and never seemed to understand the concepts of distance. (Kazon space for two years! When they're a nomadic scavenger set of tribes? Okay!)

benjipwns

« Reply #1295 on: August 15, 2018, 02:16:43 AM »
shut up nerd

"MUH CANON" lol

Himu

« Reply #1296 on: August 15, 2018, 02:28:27 AM »
Agree with benji and rah. Abrams making his films set to original Trek was unnecessary. But he is Abrams, and therefore a hack. So there’s that.
IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #1297 on: August 15, 2018, 02:46:41 AM »
As bad as Irdis Elba's villain is, he's at least established within the Trek universe of the films, someone from an earlier/another ship lands on planet and shit get weird. TOS and TNG did these kinds of stories all the time. "We're checking in on this science team who was supposed to... HOLY SHIT WOMEN RUN A PLANET WHAT IS THIS?!? HOW CAN THIS BE?!?"

It just got all amped up to a revenge plot where he's going to wipe out billions because it was a film and you always need such stupid meaningless stakes nowdays. By comparison, Nero is a time-traveling/dimension hopping dude with a God Ship that wipes out the entire Federation fleet and vaporized Vulcan; SuperKhan "false flags" and Robocops insane yet somehow secret ship is out of the blue Orci political fanfic.

Beyond was also the first time they actually gave all of the crew something to do, and opportunities to build their characters rather than rehashing Kirk/Spock (and new star Girlfriend Uhura) tropes. Kirk and Spock spend barely any of the film together except when they're planning the planet escape. I think it works out better as a third film if the first two films had established new characters rather than going "YOU REMEMBER SULU, HE ASIAN, SO HE GOT A SWORD! (ALSO NOW HE GAY CUZ IT THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY...but only for a brief shot!)" Or even "new versions" of Kirk/Spock/etc. for our new grittier world where Obama is drone striking people without trial.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1298 on: August 15, 2018, 09:50:37 AM »
Give me a show about the weird cow faced President of the Federation in DS9  (or whatever president really, even Red Forman or Scott Bakula).  Future West Wing :lawd

benjipwns

« Reply #1299 on: August 15, 2018, 10:05:42 AM »
The President of The Federation is a main character in some of the post-Nemesis novels.

Following the surprise resignation of Federation President Min Zife after the disastrous Tezwa affair, Nan Bacco of Cestus III has won a hotly contested election to become the new chief executive of over one hundred fifty planetary civilizations and their colonies. But no sooner does she take office than the Romulan Star Empire falls into chaos. With tensions already high, a Reman refugee ship is sighted approaching a Federation outpost, its intentions unknown.

As the first year of the Bacco Administration unfolds, the Federation Council is slow to work with its new president, and not always supportive of her policies or her appointments to key council positions; a successful first contact suddenly becomes a diplomatic disaster; and the sins of President Zife prove difficult to lay to rest...as one celebrated Starfleet officer's career reaches a turning point.

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Nanietta_Bacco

the "canon-ish" novels introduce like five of them altogether and I think four of them are assassinated/attempted, which is roughly the same percentage as the ones who appear in the show/films :lol

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1300 on: August 15, 2018, 11:09:01 AM »
The President of The Federation is a main character in some of the post-Nemesis novels.

(Image removed from quote.)
Following the surprise resignation of Federation President Min Zife after the disastrous Tezwa affair, Nan Bacco of Cestus III has won a hotly contested election to become the new chief executive of over one hundred fifty planetary civilizations and their colonies. But no sooner does she take office than the Romulan Star Empire falls into chaos. With tensions already high, a Reman refugee ship is sighted approaching a Federation outpost, its intentions unknown.

As the first year of the Bacco Administration unfolds, the Federation Council is slow to work with its new president, and not always supportive of her policies or her appointments to key council positions; a successful first contact suddenly becomes a diplomatic disaster; and the sins of President Zife prove difficult to lay to rest...as one celebrated Starfleet officer's career reaches a turning point.

the "canon-ish" novels introduce like five of them altogether and I think four of them are assassinated/attempted, which is roughly the same percentage as the ones who appear in the show/films :lol

I can't believe that you also follow IMAGINARY politics to this level of detail.

Tasty

« Reply #1301 on: August 15, 2018, 11:09:59 AM »
That if you really wanted to give Trek to a new generation you would do it just like TNG did, like VOY did, and like ENT tried. Each generation should get their own crew to "grow up" with.

This has always been my sticking point.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1302 on: August 15, 2018, 11:54:03 AM »

(Image removed from quote.)

I can't believe that you also follow IMAGINARY politics to this level of detail.

I would argue that given the reality of most star-trek fans, this is less imaginary than most of his politics.   

Himu

« Reply #1303 on: August 15, 2018, 05:22:24 PM »
I like every episode of DS9 except maybe two or three. A lot of people complain it takes a while to get going or whatever but idk it just clicked with me on every level. I’m even fond of season 7. I don’t think there’s a single bad season of DS9 and I know that’s controversial to say. I even love Ferengi episodes which everyone else seems to hate.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1304 on: August 15, 2018, 05:57:12 PM »
That’s fair assessment. :obama

Especially on the MM vs OoT thing.

I love both but prefer MM for the stories it manages to tell. I guess I’m the same way with DS9.

I feel like season 2 of DS9 is one of the best seasons in Trek. It saddens me others find it material for the cutting floor. Compare DS9 seasons 1 and 2 any other Trek season 1 and 2 and I think it comes out very, very well. On top of season 2 being pretty darn great as it is.

I think TNG overall has more bad than DS9. The bloody holodeck eps, Luwaxana, Q...DS9 has Luwaxana and uses her better. Same for Alexander and holodecks. I feel like anything I dislike about TNG hat DS9 manages to improve.
IYKYK

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #1305 on: August 15, 2018, 06:00:45 PM »
I like Q because Picard is straight up :trigger when he shows up.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
When he shows up in DS9 and gets his shit slapped it was basically saying this isn't your daddies Star Trek.
[close]

Himu

« Reply #1306 on: August 15, 2018, 06:05:21 PM »
It really depends on the Q episode for me. Taking Jean Luc to court? Good episode. Giving Riker god like powers? Blah.

My main grievance are holodeck eps and the lack of defined character arcs. TNG will bring interesting elements into the story (Picard becoming Borg for instance) only to forget about them. It feels like only Worf and arguably Data have any sort of development. Troi and Doctor Crusher are also kind of pointless.

Despite my problems with it it’s still one of my favorite shows. Which is weird to say. :idont
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1307 on: August 15, 2018, 06:12:03 PM »
I guess you could say:

TNG gives me the fuzzies. It gives me hope for a better tomorrow. But I don’t like its method of storytelling.

I love DS9’s storytelling but it puts be back on Earth, showing us that even paradise has flaws.

I can appreciate both. FWIW, I think DS9 is the better show but I’m much less likely to pop on a random ep of it and just bask in feel good fuzzies for an hour.

So I don’t begrudge anyone for preferring TNG.

In the end though, both work as perfect complimentary shows. And then there’s Voyager. The red haired step child.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1308 on: August 18, 2018, 02:54:53 AM »
Rewatched Star Trek First Contact. First time seeing it since release and really enjoyed it. I’ve avoided the TNG movies for too long. It’ll be a nice final goodbye to the crew. Have Generations on rent from amazon as well.

I think I saw that one in theaters with my dad too and I hated it. Man, I hated anything overly sci fi as a kid. I couldn’t stand Star Wars and thought it was boring. Something about sci fi clicked when I was 10 though. Thank goodness for the special editions of Star Wars trilogy I guess?
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1309 on: August 18, 2018, 02:25:12 PM »
Realized that there's a silver lining to the new Picard series: it will be the first Trek to be post-Voyager.

Get hype. It could help bridge a gap to a post-Voyager tv show or movie. We might finally get answers to what happened in the universe. I'm really getting excited thinking about it.

Oh, and I'll be starting Voyager tonight. lmao RIP
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1310 on: August 18, 2018, 03:35:53 PM »

« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 03:52:13 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #1311 on: August 18, 2018, 03:52:45 PM »
That video is 13:37 long. :thinking

Also, the title is a complete lie. There was nothing I didn't know except for the stuff that was wrong. And I'm merely a casual Trek fan. For example, I may have read nearly all the comics, but I've never read more than like five or six of the non-relaunch-"canon" novels.

EDIT: SWAPPED THE VIDEOS ON ME, CINDI, YOU ARE NOW MY EDDINGTON :bolo

Himu

« Reply #1312 on: August 18, 2018, 03:55:52 PM »
I pasted the wrong video. It doesn't have anything new I didn't already know! :brazilcry

IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1313 on: August 18, 2018, 05:55:45 PM »
:rejoice Dukat :rejoice
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1314 on: August 18, 2018, 07:09:51 PM »
because of the rich, diverse cast of characters Vic's easy to forget even if he's a good character.
IYKYK

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #1315 on: August 18, 2018, 07:26:35 PM »

benjipwns

« Reply #1316 on: August 18, 2018, 07:30:51 PM »
mariokarter13
1 week ago
A real headline from a real news outlet:
New 'Star Trek' reboot starring Patrick Stewart is CBS' latest All Access offering. But who's the audience? The show is a dream come true for many Next Generation fans, but something of a retreat from the progressivism of Star Trek: Discovery
And the media wonder why they're called out of touch.
Rich Mond
1 day ago
It's very sad that today, films and TV shows aren't made for entertainment, only profit.

Himu

« Reply #1317 on: August 18, 2018, 07:42:40 PM »

Rich Mond
1 day ago
It's very sad that today, films and TV shows aren't made for entertainment, only profit.

:lol

IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1318 on: August 18, 2018, 08:35:28 PM »
Voyager’s first episode was surprisingly fantastic. :obama
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1319 on: August 19, 2018, 01:34:51 AM »
Benji plz read and give us your thoughts

https://www.currentaffairs.org/2018/05/the-dismal-frontier