Author Topic: Anime-Booru Desu~ |OT|  (Read 1288168 times)

Tasty

Re: Anime-Bore |OT| - Je Suis un Devilman aussi
« Reply #8220 on: March 14, 2018, 09:41:44 AM »
Brotherhood is an amazing shonen, one of the absolute greats, but the original anime was a perfect "right time, right place" for me. That is to say, I was much more emotionally invested in and affected by the original. The movie was buttcheeks though. :/

Need to sit down and go through NGE one of these days. I've seen a handful of eps wayyyy back in the day, but have mostly just stuck with Rebuild until now.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #8221 on: March 14, 2018, 09:43:31 AM »

Oregon, the most anime of our states.
©@©™

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩

desert punk

• ENDUT! HOCH HECH!
« Reply #8223 on: March 17, 2018, 10:44:59 AM »
Have any of you guys seen the various animated Appleseed adaptions?

I read the first manga volume some years ago and liked it, but didn't want to read further because of it being unfinished. Though now I wanna try out the movies or OVAs but don't know where to start. Are they interconnected or is each production another interpretation of the manga? Are they even any good?

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #8224 on: March 17, 2018, 12:23:00 PM »
Watch GitS Stand Alone Complex, it's infinitely better

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #8226 on: March 18, 2018, 01:44:17 PM »
 :six:

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #8227 on: March 18, 2018, 03:40:29 PM »
mob psycho is the better series anyway, opm is normie trash

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #8229 on: March 19, 2018, 09:11:20 PM »
Watched A.I.C.O Incarnation over the weekend, it was good. Started watching Children of the Whales and it seems really good as well. Netflix-senpai saving anime. :lawd

Also, the AICO OP and ED were amazing:

©@©™

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #8230 on: March 19, 2018, 09:19:20 PM »
My older brother asked me for some beginner Anime recommendations.
He watched One punch man and loved it and watched Kill La Kill and loved it.
Then I suggested he should watch FMAB.
He calls me up about a week ago and says,
spoiler (click to show/hide)
"I just got to the Nina Tucker part. I was so sad I had to stop watching for a while." I thought internally "Just wait until you get to the Mays-Hughes part". Last night I got a call from him "They killed Mays-Hughes?!!" :brazilcry
[close]
:playa
que

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8231 on: March 19, 2018, 10:16:35 PM »
Have any of you guys seen the various animated Appleseed adaptions?

I read the first manga volume some years ago and liked it, but didn't want to read further because of it being unfinished. Though now I wanna try out the movies or OVAs but don't know where to start. Are they interconnected or is each production another interpretation of the manga? Are they even any good?

Nowhere near as good as the comics.  The first OVA from like 89 was OK but a condensed version of part of the story that left a lot out.  Then the CG movies that followed years later were just garbage, IMO.  I did watch whatever the last movie was (another CG film) and it was at least better than the earlier CG movies, but still forgettable.

Expelled From Paradise was a better CG Appleseed movie than Appleseed was.
ど助平

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8232 on: March 19, 2018, 10:29:04 PM »
Watch Dominion Tank Police instead.
dog

desert punk

• ENDUT! HOCH HECH!
« Reply #8233 on: March 20, 2018, 04:32:17 AM »
Nowhere near as good as the comics.  The first OVA from like 89 was OK but a condensed version of part of the story that left a lot out.  Then the CG movies that followed years later were just garbage, IMO.  I did watch whatever the last movie was (another CG film) and it was at least better than the earlier CG movies, but still forgettable.

Expelled From Paradise was a better CG Appleseed movie than Appleseed was.

Yeah that's pretty much what I heard from elsewhere. Shame.

Guess I'm just gonna finish the manga. And I'll look into Expelled From Paradise and what Rumbler proposed.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #8234 on: March 20, 2018, 12:17:55 PM »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8235 on: March 20, 2018, 12:56:39 PM »
:whew
dog

Tasty

« Reply #8236 on: March 20, 2018, 01:23:07 PM »
Looks pretty good. I doubt it can top the original but should be a fun watch.

desert punk

• ENDUT! HOCH HECH!
« Reply #8237 on: March 20, 2018, 01:37:19 PM »
Looks good. I only watched it a few years ago so I got no nostalgia for this show anyway.

They should have kept Naota as a protagonist though. He'd be in his 30s now, a balding frustrated salaryman with a dead-end job, having to suffer his father who moved in with his family and perves on his disinterested wife who's having an affair, maybe with that brother of Naoto's who came back from the States. And then the pink-haired chick with the Vespa appears and starts leading him on again.

Tasty

« Reply #8238 on: March 20, 2018, 02:01:15 PM »
Nah, I'm glad they're keeping Nao out of it. Honestly I wish they would have kept Haruko out of it too. Just do a whole new cast.

« Reply #8239 on: March 20, 2018, 02:40:29 PM »
Got chills when the pillows came up on the trailer. I think it's time to rewatch the original

That dub though :nope

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #8240 on: March 20, 2018, 02:47:04 PM »

Tasty

« Reply #8241 on: March 20, 2018, 02:49:42 PM »
Got chills when the pillows came up on the trailer. I think it's time to rewatch the original

That dub though :nope

The dub is great. :confused

desert punk

• ENDUT! HOCH HECH!
« Reply #8242 on: March 20, 2018, 02:51:21 PM »
I don't really mind it that much. Just find it boring that the protagonists are another bunch of teenagers. But yeah, I'm not the target audience anyway so I shouldn't complain.

I'm gonna watch it for the artstyle and the soundtrack anyway.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #8244 on: March 20, 2018, 05:39:47 PM »
I was just telling someone how I can't believe no one has redone Dororo semi-recently. I know there was a ps2 game and then a japanese movie not long after that (mid to late 00s?)

Tasty

« Reply #8245 on: March 20, 2018, 06:28:44 PM »
Wait, two new seasons of FLCL?

Yes. Similar to Space Dandy. Toonami is also coproducing again.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8246 on: March 20, 2018, 09:04:10 PM »
12 episodes total, split into 2 segments. Apparently, each segment will have a different story.
dog

Tasty

« Reply #8247 on: March 21, 2018, 11:45:19 PM »
My older brother asked me for some beginner Anime recommendations.
He watched One punch man and loved it and watched Kill La Kill and loved it.
Then I suggested he should watch FMAB.
He calls me up about a week ago and says,
spoiler (click to show/hide)
"I just got to the Nina Tucker part. I was so sad I had to stop watching for a while." I thought internally "Just wait until you get to the Mays-Hughes part". Last night I got a call from him "They killed Mays-Hughes?!!" :brazilcry
[close]
:playa

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #8248 on: March 22, 2018, 12:22:28 AM »
I cant wait for Captain Tsubasa and FMP :rejoice

Bebpo

« Reply #8249 on: March 23, 2018, 08:43:37 AM »
Me and duckroll went and saw Mazinger Infinity in the theaters here in HK today. Was terrible. We both fell asleep at different parts of the movie. What's up with most super robot anime being bad :(

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #8250 on: March 23, 2018, 11:24:26 AM »

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #8251 on: March 23, 2018, 11:33:04 AM »
Watching Yu Yu Hakusho.

Kuwabara is a better character than the entire cast of Hunter x Hunter. Also watching the english dub. Watched the first episode both in english and japanese. The dub seems more charming.

Bebpo

« Reply #8252 on: March 23, 2018, 11:34:37 AM »
Yeah, Shin Getter Armageddon is awesome.

So is Giant Robo
And Gunbuster
And Diebuster is solid too
And Gurren Lagann
And Gaogaigar’s 2nd half + final

Etc...

But there’s a tooooon of crappy super robot shows/oavs/movies. Real robot stuff tends to have a much higher quality ratio.

« Reply #8253 on: March 23, 2018, 12:53:49 PM »
I gotta get around to watching a bunch of mecha stuff I've been putting off for years now, specially now that Darling un the Franxx was a disappointment

GaoGaiGar though :rejoice

« Reply #8254 on: March 23, 2018, 01:51:31 PM »
Unless it's a Gundam or Macross show which I'll watch no matter what, I've been using Super Robot Wars games as an indicator of whether I should bother watching mecha shows.
野球

Tasty

« Reply #8255 on: March 23, 2018, 02:22:16 PM »
Watching Yu Yu Hakusho.

Kuwabara is a better character than the entire cast of Hunter x Hunter. Also watching the english dub. Watched the first episode both in english and japanese. The dub seems more charming.

I went through the dub two months ago. It's great. The entire main four are great.

Also Genkai is the best anime char ever.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #8256 on: March 23, 2018, 07:51:43 PM »
Whats with the hate for Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans? People seem down on this show.

I'm halfway through season 2 right now and this is by far one of the best Gundam shows.

Good story. Good world building. Good and mostly well developed characters.

It's a good show and since it's passed episode 5 which is pretty much where Code Geass R2  and 00 fell apart(I'd say 00 fell apart at episode 2) I'm not worried the 2nd season will shit the bed.

I know it gets very miserable for the characters, but I never imagined anything would end happily.

And while I'm not too into the music of the show(00, Wing, and so on have good OSts though) the main theme of the show is pretty good. Clearly Sunrise was also pretty happy with it. First two openings are great as well.

etiolate

« Reply #8257 on: March 23, 2018, 07:56:18 PM »
I finally watched some Devilman Crybaby episodes. Shit is strange.

Bebpo

« Reply #8258 on: March 23, 2018, 09:19:48 PM »
Whats with the hate for Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans? People seem down on this show.

I'm halfway through season 2 right now and this is by far one of the best Gundam shows.

Good story. Good world building. Good and mostly well developed characters.

It's a good show and since it's passed episode 5 which is pretty much where Code Geass R2  and 00 fell apart(I'd say 00 fell apart at episode 2) I'm not worried the 2nd season will shit the bed.

I know it gets very miserable for the characters, but I never imagined anything would end happily.

And while I'm not too into the music of the show(00, Wing, and so on have good OSts though) the main theme of the show is pretty good. Clearly Sunrise was also pretty happy with it. First two openings are great as well.

IBO is great, anime fans have bad taste. The end.

There's like 2 weak arcs in the middle of IBO, but the first 13eps and the last 13eps are fantastic. Best Gundam show since 00 S1 easily. If you're enjoying it now, you should really enjoy the ending stuff.

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #8259 on: March 23, 2018, 09:47:23 PM »
I like IBO but I cut myself on that edge.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #8260 on: March 25, 2018, 08:16:27 PM »
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #8261 on: March 26, 2018, 10:02:37 AM »
Watched the first two episodes of Magical Girl Ore...

It wasn't brilliant, but I had a sensible chuckle.
©@©™

Bebpo

« Reply #8262 on: March 26, 2018, 01:39:32 PM »
Saw Lu over the wall directed by Yuasa. Mixed feelings. Felt way too much like Ponyo and the traditional “finds creature, has to keep it secret, gets found out, had to save it”. Art and animation were great and despite different art design feels pretty similar to his Tatami Galaxy & Walk on Girl animation mixed with a bit of Kaiba animation.

Main character sucks though. Really sucks. Movie would be a lot better with Makoto Shinkai characters.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #8263 on: March 26, 2018, 06:19:37 PM »

Bebpo

« Reply #8264 on: March 26, 2018, 08:16:22 PM »
Also, finally got around to watching Blame!. Had read either some or all of the manga like 15 years ago or something and didn't remember anything. I also hate 3d CG animation and Godzilla sucked.

This was great! Really well directed. Great pacing, great action direction, the CG animation worked really well with the style possibly because everyone was armored since CG animation mostly looks awkward with humans. Made me want to go back to the manga and read the rest. But yeah, this was very enjoyable.

Watched Knights of Sidonia S1 ep1 after and it was pretty good too and felt like Blame x Eva.  Will watch this.

Bebpo

« Reply #8265 on: March 26, 2018, 10:52:03 PM »
So I went to a Maaya Sakamoto concert with duckroll in Hong Kong. She sang the Record of Lodoss War OP and holy shit that took me back. Such a good song & OAV.

She also sang the Escaflowne OP which was kinda neat since it was her first song (and role as Hitomi) when she was 16. She's 38 now, time sure flies by.

And of course sang Rahxephon OP cause it rocks.

Only song she didn't play that I'm a big fan of is Wolf's Rain ED Gravity. That's like my go to anime song to sing at Karaoke places ;)

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #8266 on: March 26, 2018, 11:06:49 PM »
Why is there no Tokyo Red Hood anime? Why do they only make shit anime?
serge

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #8267 on: March 27, 2018, 01:09:00 AM »
:holeup
You can have overfiend movie 2 and be happy.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #8268 on: March 27, 2018, 01:52:18 AM »
That is super cool Bebop. I would have loved to see her and hear the Escaflowne and Rahxephon ops live. The shows and songs honestly have played a pretty big part in my life.

I finished Iron Blooded Orphans. Beyond the kind of whiplash of Mcguills' actual plan, man what an amazing show. I don't quite understand why it isn't more popular. I'm not going to say it's some amazingly smart show, but honestly this is probably one of the best well rounded anime I've seen in a long time. Really good characters, really good themes, and well amazing action. The mech battles are really well directed and actually the sound design I thought was great. Barbatos' battles are well choreographed. I didn't even like most of the mech designs, but the action themselves is some of the best in the series.

The ending is bittersweet, but I'm not sure why people are so angry. The point of Tekkadan was keep going and they did up until the end. Those that died, died on their own terms for their own ideals and family. They accomplished so much. Rustal to me was the antagonist, but honestly beyond being super cunning, he wasn't evil. I would have liked maybe him getting something negative, but I also would have disliked a corny "Tekkadan's might showed everyone the way" or something. Their actions forced the world to change and unlike most Gundam shows it wasn't this big "they drooped a meteor on earth or something big". The change was the result of the events of the show and characters themselves.

I really don't understand the bad rap this show got. It really avoided a lot of the pitfalls of most Gundam shows and these long mech anime in general.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8269 on: March 27, 2018, 01:05:10 PM »
Did IBO really get a bad rap, though? From what I've seen, most people really liked it.
dog

Bebpo

« Reply #8270 on: March 27, 2018, 01:09:41 PM »
On gaf/era people thought it sucked and was a bad gundam. But the tastes of the anime fans there were always pretty  ::)

It's like the people who think the only good gundam is Turn A because it's art.
Now I like Turn A a lot (and Tomino  :heartbeat), but the series is boring as fuck episodic for like 50% of its run and only gets really great in the last few eps (and has one of the best endings, but most gundams have really good endings so that's not too surprising).

Rahxephon91

« Reply #8271 on: March 27, 2018, 01:54:49 PM »
I guess I don't know because I'm not really involved with the anime community. So I don't know what popular consensus really is. But every time I've looked into impressions people seem meh to the whole thing.

I watched a lot of Youtube anime channels(and my tastes don't really fall in line with them) and a lot of them had "What happen to the mecha genre" type videos and were down on Iron Blooded as an example of the future of the genre. And I'm like why would you be? This was one of the best anime, let alone mecha shows in a long time.

And yeah I remember reading plenty of GAF posts that were down on the show.

Even the few podcasts I listen to like AWO seemed meh towards it.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 02:03:29 PM by Rahxephon91 »

Bebpo

« Reply #8272 on: March 27, 2018, 02:46:03 PM »
Everyone I know whose a gundam fan (aka watches gundam shows) liked the show. Most really liked it including the people here. So

:idont

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #8273 on: March 27, 2018, 04:21:35 PM »

Some poster said Tokyo Red Hood isn't the one with the baby. That one is Mai-Chan's Daily Life. (Think that one used to be a running joke on 4chan back when the site just started.)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8274 on: March 27, 2018, 08:42:01 PM »
Hey Bebpo, did she sing Downtown too?

The original Sugar Babe version is still the best but I like this version too.  :)
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #8275 on: March 27, 2018, 08:49:45 PM »
Nope, and yeah I agree that's a good one I was hoping she'd play.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #8276 on: March 28, 2018, 04:47:19 PM »
Well I feel like my anime fandom has been revitalized thanks to Devilman Crybaby and Gundam Iron Blooded. I didn't stop watching anime, but it was the occasional show or stuff I already was familiar with. Oh and Gundam stuff. I just don't know where to go from here. I don't have any real interests in slice of life shows which seems to be whats popular with modern anime fandom. Or more shounen action shows. I think in the last 5 years or so the most recent anime I've watched where:

Fate Zero-Good, but couldn't get into the followups because I don't care about Japanese highschoolers.

Aldonah Zero-Awful.

Attack on Titan-Great, but it fits my interests in anime. Good action, great premise, cool world, good long forum story, and a large and engaging cast.

Kabanari-It was ok, nice art. Decent lead. Pretty bland cast.

A Women Called Fujiko Mine-Mostly because of the art direction, but thematically interesting show.

Darling in the Franxx-Watching now, pretty terrible.

Penguindrum-This show is pretty great.

Blood C-Liked it until the movie.

Any anime of the last 5 years I should be on the look out for?

Anime I think is really good or super enjoyable-Evangelion, Macross Plus, Giant Robo, Escaflowne, Code Geass, Gurren Lagann, Cowboy Bebop. SAC 2nd Gig, GitS, Utena, AoT, Gunbuster, Space Adventure Cobra, The First FMA(don't care for Brotherhood), FLCL, Read or Die The TV, Rahxephon maybe, Vottoms, Kill La Kill, Magical Moddaka though I need to watch the 3rd movie, SDF Macross, A lot of Gundam, Big O, and so on)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 04:54:45 PM by Rahxephon91 »

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #8277 on: March 28, 2018, 04:52:57 PM »
One Punch Man and Mob Psycho 100 are both good.

The JoJo series.

Natsume's Book of Friends seems to be a consistently enjoyable show.

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu and it's second season are some of my favourite anime in ages.

Edit: If you're into Ashita no Joe or Hajime no Ippo it seems there's an upcoming anime called Megalo Box which is an Ashita no Joe 50th anniversary tie-in.

« Reply #8278 on: March 28, 2018, 05:33:46 PM »
On gaf/era people thought it sucked and was a bad gundam. But the tastes of the anime fans there were always pretty  ::)

It's like the people who think the only good gundam is Turn A because it's art.
Now I like Turn A a lot (and Tomino  :heartbeat), but the series is boring as fuck episodic for like 50% of its run and only gets really great in the last few eps (and has one of the best endings, but most gundams have really good endings so that's not too surprising).

I will never understand people over there who try to elevate Gundam to something more than it is and then complain when it isn't. They're made to sell models, give me some awesome looking robots fighting and I'm happy. I'm well aware what I'm watching, I'm not looking for high art.

So I went to a Maaya Sakamoto concert with duckroll in Hong Kong. She sang the Record of Lodoss War OP and holy shit that took me back. Such a good song & OAV.

She also sang the Escaflowne OP which was kinda neat since it was her first song (and role as Hitomi) when she was 16. She's 38 now, time sure flies by.

And of course sang Rahxephon OP cause it rocks.

Only song she didn't play that I'm a big fan of is Wolf's Rain ED Gravity. That's like my go to anime song to sing at Karaoke places ;)

I'm guessing she sang Triangler?

:heartbeat :heartbeat :heartbeat :heartbeat MACROSS F  :heartbeat :heartbeat :heartbeat :heartbeat
野球

Beezy

« Reply #8279 on: March 31, 2018, 10:52:01 AM »
Devilman Crybaby was a trip. Awesome show. Himu's post earlier in this thread hating on the rapping of all things is ridiculous.