Author Topic: Corona Thread |OT| Nu variant, who dis?  (Read 1081741 times)

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
Re: Corona Thread |OT| We ask God Almighty to spare all humanity from all harm
« Reply #1143 on: March 07, 2020, 03:18:57 PM »
https://mobile.twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1236377040871399427

Hmm, if I take that cheap cruise to Rome nothing will be open

:brazilcry
:O

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #1144 on: March 07, 2020, 04:01:38 PM »
https://mobile.twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1236377040871399427

Hmm, if I take that cheap cruise to Rome nothing will be open

:brazilcry
The bar on the boat will be though...
Spud

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #1145 on: March 07, 2020, 04:02:38 PM »
https://twitter.com/julialindau/status/1235714275752267776

That's cool and all, but has she mentioned that to border control staff, by any chance? I'm gonna guess no.
What a cunt. People like her are the reason this shit is spreading, yet she uses it as an opportunity to bignote herself.
https://twitter.com/julialindau/status/1235722391126511622

Looks like a severe case of backpedalling to me :lol

james

« Reply #1146 on: March 07, 2020, 04:34:57 PM »
Carnival panorama held up at long Beach they're not letting anyone off

Imagine standing outside waiting to get on
 :lawd

Bebpo

« Reply #1147 on: March 07, 2020, 06:06:33 PM »
I feel like if you're taking a cruise still these days, you know what you're getting into and it's an assumed risk you may be quarantined on the ship for weeks and/or may get the virus as a result.

james

« Reply #1148 on: March 07, 2020, 07:34:51 PM »
And now a cruise ship in Egypt is in quarantine after 12 crew test positive

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2020/03/07/coronavirus-live-updates/#link-V6MQQKDSWFF4XPFAFN2MYYFRLA

Wtf goes on on these ships

:doge

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #1149 on: March 07, 2020, 08:01:48 PM »

BisMarckie

« Reply #1150 on: March 07, 2020, 08:25:47 PM »
And now a cruise ship in Egypt is in quarantine after 12 crew test positive

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2020/03/07/coronavirus-live-updates/#link-V6MQQKDSWFF4XPFAFN2MYYFRLA

Wtf goes on on these ships

:doge

Lots of old people fucking :phil

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
dog

Potato

• Senior's Member
Spud

james

« Reply #1153 on: March 07, 2020, 09:03:02 PM »
This is a different ship, they aren't letting people board and the crowd grows restless

https://mobile.twitter.com/forsakenlands/status/1236462306977972225

Tripon

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #1155 on: March 07, 2020, 09:59:34 PM »
rip roit :-\

Coffee Dog

« Reply #1156 on: March 07, 2020, 11:23:22 PM »
Somebody got off one of those cruise ships and has been in my state for a week before testing positive. It begins.  :-\

james

« Reply #1157 on: March 07, 2020, 11:30:20 PM »
Now a 5th princess ship is being held in Australia on suspicion of virus

The princess row on the infected chart is about to jump back to 2nd

:dead

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1158 on: March 08, 2020, 12:51:10 AM »
Carnival's stock has lost nearly half of its value since mid-January, but it's probably gonna go even lower.
dog

james

« Reply #1160 on: March 08, 2020, 10:28:54 AM »
Well my throat hurts and my chest feels tight.

Would be fitting if I'm the first here to get it because I keep exposing myself to the news

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1161 on: March 08, 2020, 11:13:28 AM »
I had explosive shits last night.

Not sure if that's a symptom?  ???
🤴

Tripon

« Reply #1162 on: March 08, 2020, 01:07:34 PM »
https://www.sacbee.com/community/elk-grove/article240994046.html

Elk Grove Unified School District, the largest in Northern California, announced Saturday it will close all schools for the next week after a family whose child attends one of its schools was under a quarantine order by the Sacramento County Public Health Department, The district said in a letter to parents on Saturday.

While individual schools across California have closed due to the COVID-19 outbreak, Elk Grove is the first school district in the state to suspend instruction. Spring break, scheduled for next month, will instead be moved to next week so that no school days will be lost.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 01:23:17 PM by Tripon »

Raist

« Reply #1164 on: March 08, 2020, 02:29:25 PM »

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #1165 on: March 08, 2020, 02:42:19 PM »
 :smug

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1166 on: March 08, 2020, 02:42:26 PM »
I ate in a restaurant I'm very familiar with in the Asian district this week and the impact of the scare is pretty insane. Lots of restaurants seemingly closed or attendance visibly low. The place I went at, which is always active and with high client turnover, had only one (of two) hall opened, was 4/5 empty and by 10pm when we left had no more patrons inside.

The Italian I went to a couple days after that didn't have that issue. :larry
ὕβρις

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1167 on: March 08, 2020, 02:57:32 PM »
The prediction that this thing is 'seasonal' hopefully turns out to be true.
Italy has quite a high death rate.
🤴

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #1168 on: March 08, 2020, 03:35:09 PM »
wtf italy, part 2

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1169 on: March 08, 2020, 03:51:56 PM »
The more you look for it, the more cases you'll find, probably. Perception might be skewed by that.
ὕβρις

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #1170 on: March 08, 2020, 04:08:25 PM »
The prediction that this thing is 'seasonal' hopefully turns out to be true.
Italy has quite a high death rate.
Smugness from the guy living in the country mainly famous for legal pot & prostitutes?   :gurl

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #1171 on: March 08, 2020, 04:10:06 PM »
curious of the ages, really only to continue my cavalier attitude towards the whole thing.

went to a party last night and a lot of people are really scared. most of them have kids though. I am taking the side that response is overblown and will be nothing by May (or at least we will know what we really have by then) etc., but overall opinion was split. I will concede the measures governments are taking lend credence to the notion things are worse than what they are telling us. there is a lot of misinformation out there though. it has driven home how utterly fucked we would be for something this contagious was more lethal, all the horror stories are right.

side note I apparently have an unusually low and/or cold amount of concern for the elderly.  :-\

:whatisthis :kermit

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1172 on: March 08, 2020, 04:11:35 PM »
wtf italy, part 2

(Image removed from quote.)
Italy didn't get the memo that for once it is o.k. to cook your books.
🤴

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #1173 on: March 08, 2020, 04:11:52 PM »
The more you look for it, the more cases you'll find, probably. Perception might be skewed by that.

pretty sure SK is doing work as well but they ain't looking like Parmigiano-Reggiano meeting an Enrico 1005.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1174 on: March 08, 2020, 04:25:29 PM »
SK also had severe spikes in a few days if only through the cluster of people infected in that Christian sect. I think containment failed a long time ago. As I understand it, quarantine on a large scale are considered inefficient by many medical figures.
I suspect most countries in Europe bordering Italy might be at the same level of infection but medical testing hasn't caught up with it yet.

There's not a lot besides practicing good hygiene and hoping Spring will make things better.
ὕβρις

Raist

« Reply #1176 on: March 08, 2020, 05:02:54 PM »
curious of the ages, really only to continue my cavalier attitude towards the whole thing.

went to a party last night and a lot of people are really scared. most of them have kids though. I am taking the side that response is overblown and will be nothing by May (or at least we will know what we really have by then) etc., but overall opinion was split. I will concede the measures governments are taking lend credence to the notion things are worse than what they are telling us. there is a lot of misinformation out there though. it has driven home how utterly fucked we would be for something this contagious was more lethal, all the horror stories are right.

side note I apparently have an unusually low and/or cold amount of concern for the elderly.  :-\

Bebpo

« Reply #1177 on: March 08, 2020, 05:10:38 PM »

Not sure where you're getting May from. I really don't see this dying out of the news/panic cycle until there's at least some anti-viral treatment medication maybe in the fall. The rate the virus is spreading in a lot of really hot summer places in the world right now makes it seem like summer won't slow this thing down. And we're just at the start of the pandemic in the USA, it's gonna get a lot worse with tens if not hundreds of thousands of infected in the US really soon.

Bebpo

« Reply #1178 on: March 08, 2020, 05:15:29 PM »
One of the problems imo with this virus is that because it's really only a danger of older people, A LOT of younger people are basically like "lolz, just living life normally, if I get it who cares, I'll be fine. See in you in hell old people"

So unfortunately if like 1/4th or 1/3rd the population of the USA doesn't give a shit about precautions and containment, and are all vectors to get it and spread it, the USA is fucked. The country's motto of "fuck you, got mine" basically is dooming the country to get this thing.

In the east asian countries where people are more concerned about the whole and community over themselves it's a lot easier to contain. People will wear masks if they're sick generally and do their best to follow containment instructions.

Also given USA and young people's nihlistic indifference, I'm not even sure if the vaccine is gonna save USA. Normally in a situation like this, when the vaccine comes out, even if it's only like 70% effective because of mutations, if the majority of americans go and get vaccinated, the herd immunity should stop COVID19 in its tracks and it should just disappear.

But USA is gonna USA and if only like 20-50% of the population get the vaccine...we're not gonna have that herd immunity and you're stuck with it going around and hoping you get a strain that the vaccine is effective against.

Bebpo

« Reply #1179 on: March 08, 2020, 05:17:49 PM »
Note that if I was in my teens or early 20s right now I'd probably be the same and be like "ok, so this is gonna kill off a lot of the boomers and move the wealth down to the younger generation and political power down to the younger generation and is a course correction booster for fixing some of USA's problems", but I was also pretty much a selfish dick at that age and a rebel against family.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #1180 on: March 08, 2020, 05:23:36 PM »
One of the problems imo with this virus is that because it's really only a danger of older people, A LOT of younger people are basically like "lolz, just living life normally, if I get it who cares, I'll be fine. See in you in hell old people"

So unfortunately if like 1/4th or 1/3rd the population of the USA doesn't give a shit about precautions and containment, and are all vectors to get it and spread it, the USA is fucked. The country's motto of "fuck you, got mine" basically is dooming the country to get this thing.

In the east asian countries where people are more concerned about the whole and community over themselves it's a lot easier to contain. People will wear masks if they're sick generally and do their best to follow containment instructions.

Also given USA and young people's nihlistic indifference, I'm not even sure if the vaccine is gonna save USA. Normally in a situation like this, when the vaccine comes out, even if it's only like 70% effective because of mutations, if the majority of americans go and get vaccinated, the herd immunity should stop COVID19 in its tracks and it should just disappear.

But USA is gonna USA and if only like 20-50% of the population get the vaccine...we're not gonna have that herd immunity and you're stuck with it going around and hoping you get a strain that the vaccine is effective against.
When "OK boomer" becomes "KO Boomer".  :doge

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #1181 on: March 08, 2020, 05:49:45 PM »
Not sure where you're getting May from. I really don't see this dying out of the news/panic cycle until there's at least some anti-viral treatment medication maybe in the fall. The rate the virus is spreading in a lot of really hot summer places in the world right now makes it seem like summer won't slow this thing down. And we're just at the start of the pandemic in the USA, it's gonna get a lot worse with tens if not hundreds of thousands of infected in the US really soon.

"May" straight from ass, just thinking in two months we will have a better picture of wtf is going on. The numbers are ridiculously inaccurate at moment, I heard Louisiana has tested a grand total of 8 people as of yesterday. I also think if it's been in China, Italy, and Washington for two months already it's already everywhere/most metropolitan cities in some form or another. Eh.

I agree with

I agree with all this and it is pretty pitiful. I am 100% aboard with team wash hands and sanitize and am glad more people are trying to be less gross. I am also more on team who gives a shit about old people than I probably should be. I  feel way more for immunocompromised people, they actually have some reason to be in a panic.

also becoming aware my opinion of this is tipping towards being more based on optimism than science.  :existential and  :trumps are kinda cancelling out.

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #1182 on: March 08, 2020, 06:01:50 PM »
akala on race/class/nation war  :nope

generational war against the boomers  :ohyeah

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #1183 on: March 08, 2020, 06:20:24 PM »
The Grand Princess — a cruise ship containing at least 21 people infected with the novel coronavirus — is scheduled to dock in Oakland, California on Monday, but the Trump administration does not yet have a fully-fleshed-out plan for dealing with the ship’s more than 3,500 passengers, according to top administration officials.
kind of reminds me of Jurassic Park 2: The Lost World
每天生气

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #1184 on: March 08, 2020, 06:29:54 PM »
odds on confirmed cases outside china exceeding confirmed cases in china by march 21st?
◕‿◕

james

« Reply #1185 on: March 08, 2020, 07:02:11 PM »
Mom just boarded a 12 hour flight and she said absolutely everyone was wiping down their seats

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #1186 on: March 08, 2020, 11:42:57 PM »
at least your mom won't get butt corona
©@©™

team filler

• filler
  • filler

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #1191 on: March 09, 2020, 02:47:36 AM »
Note that if I was in my teens or early 20s right now I'd probably be the same and be like "ok, so this is gonna kill off a lot of the boomers and move the wealth down to the younger generation and political power down to the younger generation and is a course correction booster for fixing some of USA's problems", but I was also pretty much a selfish dick at that age and a rebel against family.

I'm 31 and I kinda get that feeling. Yeah, there's the whole boomers-suck-buttholes-on-plane-seats argument but also, we apparently really needed an epidemic to show that the global community is completely unprepared to deal with it and that borders/cultures/social class/etc don't insulate you from contagious diseases. I mean, you went from affluent families being anti-vax to stores running out of toilet paper and Purell within like two weeks.

If somebody has to take the brunt of the impact, it makes the most sense to be the oldies. I'm just saying.

samir

« Reply #1192 on: March 09, 2020, 05:02:59 AM »
I love that the global economy is collapsing because some chinaman just had to eat some bat shit to make his dick grow or some shit

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #1193 on: March 09, 2020, 05:04:57 AM »
the chinese finally took down capitalism  :bow :bow :bow :bow :chinacry :bow2 :bow2 :bow2 :bow2 :bow2

Himu

« Reply #1194 on: March 09, 2020, 06:11:43 AM »
Carnival's stock has lost nearly half of its value since mid-January, but it's probably gonna go even lower.

Time to buy :unclephil
IYKYK

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
« Reply #1195 on: March 09, 2020, 06:13:20 AM »
People on trains here won't sit next to Asian people, I've been getting seats at rush hour since the start of the year, it's been very nice!

Himu

« Reply #1196 on: March 09, 2020, 06:25:56 AM »
https://twitter.com/jameshamblin/status/1236782260981989376

Americans are morons.

SXSW was cancelled and what does Houston do despite there being confirmed cases in the county? Continues to have a massive rodeo with celebrity music star concerts.
IYKYK

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
« Reply #1197 on: March 09, 2020, 08:25:36 AM »
Legit feel sick this morning but it didn’t really set in until I got to work lol. Whoops.

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
« Reply #1198 on: March 09, 2020, 08:50:42 AM »
Legit feel sick this morning but it didn’t really set in until I got to work lol. Whoops.

Say you feel sick get your office shut down.

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
« Reply #1199 on: March 09, 2020, 08:58:11 AM »

Say you feel sick get your office shut down.

Not sure if I’m actually sick or if I just feel like shit because I didn’t sleep right. Only thing I have is a runny nose so far but mentally I don’t feel too hot either.