Author Topic: Corona Thread |OT| Nu variant, who dis?  (Read 1081741 times)

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
Re: Corona Thread |OT| A lot of good things are going to happen.
« Reply #1320 on: March 10, 2020, 04:38:58 PM »
data browsing, earlier reports have 80+ year-olds at a fatality rate of ~13% and comprising almost 60% of total fatalities
in italy

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #1322 on: March 10, 2020, 05:26:10 PM »
Godspeed, Mr. Gundam.

Thanks, should be fine, but I truly appreciate the positive thoughts and likes. My wife and I were both WFH already so it's not much different. I'm still walking our daughter to school in the morning and then picking her up in the afternoon, but my doctors figured that was fine since it's all outdoors. Was hoping to get one last brewery trip in before surgery, but now that's probably a bad idea. Oh well, definitely first world problems.

My parents are in Australia right now until the day before my surgery visiting family up in Queensland after spending a month in New Zeland, and we're a little worried that they're gonna be stuck over there. Every time Trump announces a press conference we're always afraid he's gonna shut down air travel completely. We're going to need their help watching the kid while I'm in the hospital and a couple weeks after while I'm recovering.
Queensland isn't too bad yet. It's starting to get a little more widespread in Sydney and Melbourne apparently.
Spud

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #1323 on: March 10, 2020, 05:31:15 PM »
How Dutch false sense of security helped coronavirus spread
Flawed advice that only those with symptoms can spread virus contributes to slow response

The position of Dutch authorities was that only people with symptoms could transmit coronavirus. It was repeated by the government, national and local health authorities, justifying a cascade of decisions that allowed the Netherlands to keep up a “business as usual” attitude even as the virus exponentially spread.

The problem was, it was wrong.
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/how-dutch-false-sense-of-security-helped-coronavirus-spread-1.4199027?mode=amp

:tauntaun :whew :dead

:O

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1324 on: March 10, 2020, 06:35:25 PM »
I have to say, all this is not entirely surprising. The
Netherlands has an extreme strain of ‘I won’t be told’ individualism that permeates Dutch society. This can have catastrophic consequences: the last words of the KLM pilot who caused the Tenerife air disaster that killed nearly 600 in 1974 by barging down the runway without permission and crashing into another 747 was apparently ’Let’s go’.
:birb

Our response to this thing has been great. Yesterday we decided not to shake hands anymore.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 06:42:30 PM by Nintex »
🤴

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #1325 on: March 10, 2020, 07:08:41 PM »
Just started having some pressure in my upper lungs and a sore throat. I had a cough a couple days before and some light sniffles, so i'm going to go get tested for it if I can :trumps

My (very large and well known) provider told me to monitor my symptoms for a few days, stay at home as long as possible and do typical seasonal cold remedies. :trumps
Honestly, that is actually reasonable advice.
Spud

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #1326 on: March 10, 2020, 07:10:25 PM »
what did your work say?
每天生气

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #1327 on: March 10, 2020, 07:12:26 PM »
How Dutch false sense of security helped coronavirus spread
Flawed advice that only those with symptoms can spread virus contributes to slow response

The position of Dutch authorities was that only people with symptoms could transmit coronavirus. It was repeated by the government, national and local health authorities, justifying a cascade of decisions that allowed the Netherlands to keep up a “business as usual” attitude even as the virus exponentially spread.

The problem was, it was wrong.
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/how-dutch-false-sense-of-security-helped-coronavirus-spread-1.4199027?mode=amp

:tauntaun :whew :dead

a government full of nintex's  :notlikethis

zepblackstar

« Reply #1328 on: March 10, 2020, 07:45:24 PM »
Behind closed doors, the chancellor found clear words. "60 to 70 percent of the people in Germany will become infected with the Corona virus,"

https://www.bild.de/politik/inland/politik-inland/corona-chaos-bei-der-kanzlerin-keine-rede-kein-auftritt-keine-fuehrung-in-der-kr-69321608.bild.html

shosta

« Reply #1329 on: March 10, 2020, 07:47:12 PM »
Yeah, I think i'm probably fine. I made the mistake of drinking a little last night and sleeping with the AC on, so that probably played a part. I took a bit of dayquil and i feel much better. Just don't want to chance it and be irresponsible not reporting or avoiding medical care.
posting in this thread after you're hungover :dead

GTFO of here :lol
每天生气

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night

« Reply #1332 on: March 10, 2020, 07:51:03 PM »
Godspeed, Mr. Gundam.

Thanks, should be fine, but I truly appreciate the positive thoughts and likes. My wife and I were both WFH already so it's not much different. I'm still walking our daughter to school in the morning and then picking her up in the afternoon, but my doctors figured that was fine since it's all outdoors. Was hoping to get one last brewery trip in before surgery, but now that's probably a bad idea. Oh well, definitely first world problems.

My parents are in Australia right now until the day before my surgery visiting family up in Queensland after spending a month in New Zeland, and we're a little worried that they're gonna be stuck over there. Every time Trump announces a press conference we're always afraid he's gonna shut down air travel completely. We're going to need their help watching the kid while I'm in the hospital and a couple weeks after while I'm recovering.
Queensland isn't too bad yet. It's starting to get a little more widespread in Sydney and Melbourne apparently.

They were down in Hobart before flying up to Townsville to see our cousins.
野球

Tripon

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

Propagandhim

« Reply #1338 on: March 10, 2020, 08:05:15 PM »
The only guy that died in New Jersey from Corona lived in a town within walking distance from me.   Gonna start doing the social distancing thing now.    I'm not worried about my own health, but of transmitting this to those close to me with precarious health.    Sucks.    Stay safe guys.

shosta

« Reply #1339 on: March 10, 2020, 08:13:49 PM »
Personally, I hope I die
每天生气

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #1340 on: March 10, 2020, 08:17:08 PM »
They're shutting everything down here, can't even get out of the house without a good reason, and yet you still gotta move the car for the street washing, unless you want a fine.  :'(
Listen how am i gonna find a parking spot when everybody's at home?  :doge

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
©@©™

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #1342 on: March 10, 2020, 09:01:54 PM »
Godspeed, Mr. Gundam.

They should be fine.

In Australia
As at 11:00 hrs on 10 March 2020, we have 100 confirmed cases of coronavirus (COVID-19), including 3 deaths, in Australia.

54 in New South Wales
12 in Queensland
6 in South Australia
2 in Tasmania
12 in Victoria
4 in Western Australia
10 associated with the Diamond Princess cruise ship

Of the two cases in Tasmania, 1 was in Hobart and the other Launceston (had travelled from Iran).

I don't think any of the cases identified in Queensland so far have been in Townsville which is 1300km from Brisbane where the majority of cases have been.
Spud

BisMarckie

« Reply #1343 on: March 10, 2020, 09:29:27 PM »
Behind closed doors, the chancellor found clear words. "60 to 70 percent of the people in Germany will become infected with the Corona virus,"

https://www.bild.de/politik/inland/politik-inland/corona-chaos-bei-der-kanzlerin-keine-rede-kein-auftritt-keine-fuehrung-in-der-kr-69321608.bild.html

Germany overcoming its demographic challenges thanks to the chicoms :rejoice

Tripon

« Reply #1344 on: March 10, 2020, 09:38:26 PM »

Tripon

« Reply #1345 on: March 11, 2020, 12:05:39 AM »
UCI and UCLA both went online only. Colleges it seems to be the major schools to go online. K-12 schools are just either closing (only a handful so far) or stay open because they're de facto food banks for the students that attend.

bluemax

« Reply #1346 on: March 11, 2020, 12:45:15 AM »
USC was going to test online only this week. I also heard LMU is going online only this week.

Also they cancelled filming of Wheel of Fortune (which happens roughly at the same place I work) but no other filming seems impacted yet and we still go into the office. No word on if they're gonna cancel Jeopardy (which is also filmed here).

E3 has been cancelled.

And the Mariners might open the season in Arizona:

https://twitter.com/EvanDrellich/status/1237565852502786049

https://twitter.com/EverettHerald/status/1237554046203883521

There were supposed to be NCAA tournament games in Spokane this weekend. The Ivy League cancelled their conference tournament at the last minute.
NO

Tripon

« Reply #1347 on: March 11, 2020, 12:54:02 AM »
Big West tournament going to play in an empty stadium as well.

« Reply #1348 on: March 11, 2020, 01:03:56 AM »
https://twitter.com/Arsenal/status/1237540732858064896
Our Premier League match with Manchester City on Wednesday night has been postponed.

Following yesterday's news that Olympiacos owner Evangelos Marinakis has recently contracted Covid-19, we have been taking medical advice and tracing any individuals who had what the guidelines define as close contact with him at the game 13 days ago.

As a result of this exercise we identified that a number of players met the Olympiacos owner immediately following the game.

The medical advice we have received puts the risk of them developing Covid-19 at extremely low. However, we are strictly following the Government guidelines which recommend that anyone coming into close contact with someone with the virus should self-isolate at home for 14 days from the last time they had contact.

Soon football is being cancelled, E3 being cancelled along with all other public events. At this rate finally becoming a shut in NEET can become the norm.

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #1349 on: March 11, 2020, 01:13:01 AM »

G The Resurrected

« Reply #1350 on: March 11, 2020, 01:13:36 AM »
Can't cancel Animal Crossing!

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #1351 on: March 11, 2020, 01:17:09 AM »
Diamond Princess update

Death/active cases/recovered/serious
7/364/325/32

resolved cases, death:recover is 7:325 or about 2.1% mortality
should hopefully trend lower looking at active cases remaining versus serious condition

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1353 on: March 11, 2020, 08:23:31 AM »
A young Napolitan actor made a video about how he was confined to his flat several hours alongside his suddenly infected (and now late, sadly) sister with the bitter impression that all medical, emergency and funeral services were criminally slow to help them.

The contrast between Italy and France is mindboggling. Restrictions on large public gatherings have started raining in over the Alps as well but nothing to the extent of what Italy has put in place already. Life has mostly gone on for now here but I'm a bit apprehensive we're just on the same course with some delay, it's hard to imagine it isn't spilling in Southern France if Northern Italy has been hit that hard.

The French government and Macron are very cautious and the official discourse is that most of the epidemic is in front of us. They're trying to flatten the curve of infection to avoid having hospitals being pushed beyond critical levels (the Ministry has lifted limits on overtime, so it's already at full capacity), try to delay the worst of it after the flu season to avoid confusion in diagnostics. Maybe to try soften the economic blow too, but it's already projected growth will probably be close to 0.

It's not great that Italian and French healthcare is already under that amount of stress from "just" thousands of cases. There's been a great deal of financial pressure on french public infrastructure in the last decades and it feels healthcare is coasting by on sound but aging infrastructure.

The mayoral elections should go forward, as I said earlier but there's a lot of wider questions not yet debated on the effects of all the restraints on public discourse. French authorities exempted protests from the limitations, as the unions were worried, but should this last months it's gonna become a real issue.
ὕβρις

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1355 on: March 11, 2020, 08:38:41 AM »
my state is just offering free tests for those without insurance. is that not the case elsewhere?

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
« Reply #1356 on: March 11, 2020, 08:41:03 AM »
doesn't sound like it, but holy fuck this is all kinds of stupid, possibly infect a whole place just to get a free test??? That's bold.

jorma

« Reply #1357 on: March 11, 2020, 08:43:09 AM »
All the selfishness aside, paying for things with your own blood might not be the best loophole  :P

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #1358 on: March 11, 2020, 08:53:04 AM »
Louisiana starting to cancel all large gatherings, Nola St Patty's events cancelled.  :mjcry

Have a feeling fest next weekend will be moved back. If not I guess I had a good run, will go out with a bang. 

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #1359 on: March 11, 2020, 09:24:02 AM »
A young Napolitan actor made a video about how he was confined to his flat several hours alongside his suddenly infected (and now late, sadly) sister with the bitter impression that all medical, emergency and funeral services were criminally slow to help them.
Yeah the video did the rounds the last couple of days, i didn't post it yesterday actually because i could only find shitty sources talking about it, and it wasn't sure at first that it was Covid related, though they said she did test positive after all.
Guy had to spend 24+ hours with the corpse of his sister in the house, so pretty grim, considering he also had another sister (with her children) and some other family members in the house.

Personally i'm just trying to stay at home 100% of the day, but i still need to get out to at least buy food/basic stuff.
Was trying some supermarket's home delivery option, but they are getting hammered apparently, the closest window for delivery was in 2 weeks,  :lol.

It's back out into the hazard zone then.  :salute

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1360 on: March 11, 2020, 09:30:22 AM »
Oh and in typical fashion the State requisitioned all masks and took the charge of distributing them (priority goes to medical personnel and infected people). Not that I doubt it was necessary, but it's the most French thing ever. Some doctors in the Eastern regions, where there's more cases, are already complaining they have a hard time getting enough masks from authorities.
ὕβρις

« Reply #1361 on: March 11, 2020, 09:37:39 AM »
https://twitter.com/GEsfandiari/status/1237692618626269185

Officially still just behind Italy as the biggest epicenter outside of China, but the real numbers are probably way worse. It's a disaster over there and the government is pretty much just doing nothing, instead of entertaining any sort of quarantine their last bright idea was giving people 100gb of free internet to encourage them to stay at home.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #1362 on: March 11, 2020, 10:00:55 AM »
Whole company is being sent home today, due to a possible infection.

Holiday has been cancelled, I was suppose to leave next week  :'(

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #1363 on: March 11, 2020, 10:05:07 AM »
Don't think my week in Italy in May is panning out either.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #1364 on: March 11, 2020, 10:24:19 AM »
My boss who was laughing this off last week watched Joe Rogan and now is stock piling and freaking out, hope I can play up his fears to get work closed :doge

Ghoul

« Reply #1365 on: March 11, 2020, 10:26:08 AM »
I'm off snowboarding in EU next week and we're all like fuckkkkkk please let us get trapped there and not here.

Two extra weeks on a mountain would be dope.

james

« Reply #1366 on: March 11, 2020, 10:30:16 AM »
Our first webex virtual meeting

Someone flushed a very very loud toilet

:doge :doge :doge :doge :doge

BisMarckie

Re: Corona Thread |OT| We ask God Almighty to spare all humanity from all harm
« Reply #1367 on: March 11, 2020, 10:44:14 AM »
Was supposed to go to Poland next week with the fam but with countries locking down well stay home cause we don't want to get stuck.

I am going to Gdansk on easter. If our flight back gets cancelled, we‘ll sneak over the border like we did in the 80‘s :juche

Update: Flight cancelled. Staying at home :trumps

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #1368 on: March 11, 2020, 10:48:28 AM »

edit: second chart is a bit deceptive. 
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 10:54:55 AM by Flannel Boy »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1369 on: March 11, 2020, 10:54:53 AM »
Major conferences in my field are getting canceled (moved to online only).  Pretty crazy. 

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #1370 on: March 11, 2020, 11:02:21 AM »

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #1371 on: March 11, 2020, 11:08:38 AM »
Lots of NEETS
©@©™

james

« Reply #1372 on: March 11, 2020, 11:16:32 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

edit: second chart is a bit deceptive.
Whats Japan's secret? :pika

Weebos and virgins don't leave their apartment

« Reply #1373 on: March 11, 2020, 11:17:14 AM »
Isn't Japan also not testing people at the rate they should be to make the numbers look better?

Our Governor is having a press conference here in two hours. Sounds like restrictions on gatherings of 250 people or more in the Seattle Metro (King, Snohomish and Pierce Counties).

Godspeed, Mr. Gundam.

They should be fine.

In Australia
As at 11:00 hrs on 10 March 2020, we have 100 confirmed cases of coronavirus (COVID-19), including 3 deaths, in Australia.

54 in New South Wales
12 in Queensland
6 in South Australia
2 in Tasmania
12 in Victoria
4 in Western Australia
10 associated with the Diamond Princess cruise ship

Of the two cases in Tasmania, 1 was in Hobart and the other Launceston (had travelled from Iran).

I don't think any of the cases identified in Queensland so far have been in Townsville which is 1300km from Brisbane where the majority of cases have been.

I'm not worried about them getting it, I'm more worried about Trump freaking out and shutting down international travel into the US. My parents are coming back the day before my surgery and my wife and I will need them here to help with our daughter while I'm in the hospital and recovering at home.
野球

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #1374 on: March 11, 2020, 11:17:53 AM »
think i might have a temperature. it's triggered some kind of inspired shred frenzy after i've barely been able to look at a guitar in a month.

can't wait to hang with randy, dimebag and satan (you just know he's got some insane chops) in hell.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #1375 on: March 11, 2020, 11:26:37 AM »
Warzone couldn't have come at a better time.  :exxy
©ZH

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon

VomKriege

• Do the moron
ὕβρις

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1378 on: March 11, 2020, 11:41:03 AM »
corona is the best thing to happen to the esa. now they can pretend they are cancelled due to safety concerns and not their dying event being less relevant than ever.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1379 on: March 11, 2020, 12:02:55 PM »
three coronas confirmed for the state! downside is they are all quarantined and in some podunk nowhere county so probably won't infect everyone and i won't get to work from home. :'(