Author Topic: Corona Thread |OT| Nu variant, who dis?  (Read 1081772 times)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
Re: Corona Thread |OT| A lot of good things are going to happen.
« Reply #1560 on: March 12, 2020, 01:20:35 AM »
Couldn't have they just made a new rule, that you must play with a distance of 1.5 meters from player to player?
That's illegal defense. :wag

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #1561 on: March 12, 2020, 01:22:10 AM »
Couldn't have they just made a new rule, that you must play with a distance of 1.5 meters from player to player?
That's illegal defense. :wag
Make 3 points shots be worth 5, as an incentive.

bluemax

« Reply #1563 on: March 12, 2020, 02:16:29 AM »
Grocery store looked like a fucking natural disaster had happened. Almost everything was in short supply or flat out gone.
NO

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #1565 on: March 12, 2020, 02:47:43 AM »
I'm banning myself from all coronavirus news from now on. Live life (at a two meter distance and wash your hands), quit worrying about stuff :rejoice
每天生气

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #1566 on: March 12, 2020, 02:49:59 AM »
ive got one holy life to live
ive got one holy life to give

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #1567 on: March 12, 2020, 02:50:16 AM »
https://twitter.com/_SJPeace_/status/1237987260517232640

:pimp

Like look at the spread of spanish flu, or black death and smallpox

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #1568 on: March 12, 2020, 02:56:39 AM »
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/03/who-gets-hospital-bed/607807/

One week ago, Italy had 2,502 cases of the virus, which causes the disease known as COVID-19. At that point, doctors in the country’s hospitals could still perform the most lifesaving functions by artificially ventilating patients who experienced acute breathing difficulties.
Today, Italy has 10,149 cases of the coronavirus. There are now simply too many patients for each one of them to receive adequate care. Doctors and nurses are unable to tend to everybody. They lack machines to ventilate all those gasping for air.

Now the Italian College of Anesthesia, Analgesia, Resuscitation and Intensive Care (SIAARTI) has published guidelines for the criteria that doctors and nurses should follow in these extraordinary circumstances. The document begins by likening the moral choices facing Italian doctors to the forms of wartime triage that are required in the field of “catastrophe medicine.” Instead of providing intensive care to all patients who need it, its authors suggest, it may become necessary to follow “the most widely shared criteria regarding distributive justice and the appropriate allocation of limited health resources.”

Doggy-dog world out there.

On the bright side, people deliberate over the trolley problem unironically :heh

My academic training is in political and moral philosophy. I have spent countless hours in fancy seminar rooms discussing abstract moral dilemmas like the so-called trolley problem. If a train is barreling toward five innocent people who are tied to the tracks, and I could divert it by pulling the lever, but at the cost of killing an innocent bystander, should I do it?

Himu

« Reply #1569 on: March 12, 2020, 03:00:16 AM »
What will the world retaliation against China be for this?
IYKYK

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #1570 on: March 12, 2020, 03:03:49 AM »
nothing, we need the chicoms more than they need us. capitalism doesn't work without them  :lol

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #1571 on: March 12, 2020, 03:05:15 AM »

Buying more iPhones :pimp
Margs

Himu

« Reply #1572 on: March 12, 2020, 03:15:59 AM »
nothing, we need the chicoms more than they need us. capitalism doesn't work without them  :lol

My hope is this will convince companies to stop manufacturing in China. Relying on them has shown us squat especially in an emergency like this.
IYKYK

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #1573 on: March 12, 2020, 03:20:35 AM »

My hope is this will convince companies to stop manufacturing in China. Relying on them has shown us squat especially in an emergency like this.

Tucker's bit about the supply chain and Chinese dominance stuck with you huh?

Himu

« Reply #1574 on: March 12, 2020, 03:21:11 AM »

Tucker's bit about the supply chain and Chinese dominance stuck with you huh?

yes!! :stop
IYKYK

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #1575 on: March 12, 2020, 03:21:34 AM »

And maybe if we're lucky they'll conquer peripheral Europe.

yes!! :stop

:rofl

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #1576 on: March 12, 2020, 03:22:09 AM »
capitalist care about what is most profitable, anything else is irrelevant

the chicoms have won  :rejoice

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #1577 on: March 12, 2020, 03:26:22 AM »

The problem is that there's a global supply chain. A lot of products have components made in multiple countries, not including the country that does final assembly. That requires engineers and business people to travel to different factories and interact with different people all over the world. No matter what, thousands of Americans have to go and meet thousands of Chinese to get products built in the modern world.

At this point in time, we know that most governments in the world fucked up the response as far as quickly containing the virus and being transparent about the problem. We probably will never know how badly they fucked up though so figuring out how much blame to assign to who is basically impossible.

I hate the Chinese government but I think the best strategy is to go in the other direction. If everyone gets hurt by an epidemic, then everyone has the incentive to be open with the investigation and take new pathogens seriously.

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #1578 on: March 12, 2020, 03:27:19 AM »

I'll buy a Little Red Book preemptively, I was already considering it anyway.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #1580 on: March 12, 2020, 03:39:27 AM »

I'll buy a Little Red Book preemptively, I was already considering it anyway.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #1581 on: March 12, 2020, 03:53:09 AM »

Buying more iPhones :pimp
But corona is killing all the old people, who will be left that wants an iPhone?
Spud

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1583 on: March 12, 2020, 04:19:03 AM »
The Dutch expert running this:
"We could take additional measures but those might not work"  :smug

Another Dutch expert calls the Italians stupid for overreacting damaging their economy while their healthcare breaks down

Oh wow, this expert

"Unlike Italy we are a rich country with a government who listens to experts and has a solid healthcare system"  :mynicca

And no I'm not making this up
https://www.nu.nl/coronavirus/6036704/wat-als-alle-nederlandse-coronamaatregelen-tot-nu-toe-niet-werken.html
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 04:35:16 AM by Nintex »
🤴

jorma

« Reply #1584 on: March 12, 2020, 05:33:11 AM »
First death in Sweden.
Events with over 500 people attending are banned. (RIP TI10)
Waiting day removed, sick leave now kicks in at day 0 for everyone.
The newly privatized apothecary industry is making bank. One of them reportedly sold a pack of shitty facemasks for 90 euro. Owner defended himself "i don't know about this, it wasn't me"
I have yet to actually spot someone wearing a facemask, life seems to go on as usual on the surface. No shortages in my local grocerystore as of yesterday, but the waiting time for grocery home deliveries is now one week instead of the usual next day deliveries.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1585 on: March 12, 2020, 05:56:52 AM »

Retaliation ?
ὕβρις

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #1586 on: March 12, 2020, 07:24:12 AM »
I'd imagine this will get them to take a harder look at the whole wet market thing, at best.
Beyond that, i don't even see why the rest of the world should be too uppity in blaming them, since we're all using them as production's bedrock for our wealth and comfort anyway.
It's shouldn't be about closing borders and let your neighbor die in their own house anyway, but about increasing health standard however possible, to avoid these situations in the first place.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #1587 on: March 12, 2020, 07:51:00 AM »
Gov Kate Brown just banned gatherings of more than 250 people and instructed schools to cancel events including field trips. Kiddo has a band concert tonight, guessing it will be cancelled. Shits wild

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #1589 on: March 12, 2020, 08:29:54 AM »
Woke up just now with monstrous headache. I felt better after drinking water and going to the bathroom. I kind of feel I have to barf though. Also, it just dawned on me I'm fucked if I'm hit with this. Remember that I'm under insured and have a 6k deductible. I also don't have a job with paid sick leave.

Retaliation ?

Like, not militarily obviously. But market wise. Of course, China has all the rope here so nothing we can do.
IYKYK

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #1590 on: March 12, 2020, 08:34:00 AM »
Federally funded tests conducted by scientists from several major institutions indicated that the novel form of coronavirus behind a worldwide outbreak can survive in the air for several hours.

A study awaiting peer review from scientists at Princeton University, the University of California-Los Angeles and the National Institutes of Health (NIH) posted online Wednesday indicated that the COVID-19 virus could remain viable in the air "up to 3 hours post aerosolization," while remaining alive on plastic and other surfaces for up to three days.
https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/487110-tests-indicate-coronavirus-can-survive-in-the-air

So, it's not if .. it's when.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1591 on: March 12, 2020, 08:37:01 AM »
I'd imagine this will get them to take a harder look at the whole wet market thing, at best.

I could see international pressure on China for this, mostly because it's a nonsignificant part of China's economy and could have a lot of propaganda value for the West. 

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1592 on: March 12, 2020, 08:58:12 AM »

Retaliation ?

Like, not militarily obviously. But market wise. Of course, China has all the rope here so nothing we can do.

I think it's a very antagonistic choice of words to respond to an offhand comment in a news wire that might be distorted in translation (didn't we had one with the bone grinding expression of Xi Jinping a few months back ?). Even taking it at face value, by and large dependency on China has been a choice from many industries.

Lessons for the future ? More diverse, shorter supply chains (same thing said for years about food), more sustainable, less driven by profit. Try to support a rising tide in political freedom, labor rights and wages in China and elsewhere. Better international medical cooperation. It's all big picture stuff that is not related to this particular virus.
ὕβρις

Occam

« Reply #1593 on: March 12, 2020, 09:08:00 AM »
Federally funded tests conducted by scientists from several major institutions indicated that the novel form of coronavirus behind a worldwide outbreak can survive in the air for several hours.

A study awaiting peer review from scientists at Princeton University, the University of California-Los Angeles and the National Institutes of Health (NIH) posted online Wednesday indicated that the COVID-19 virus could remain viable in the air "up to 3 hours post aerosolization," while remaining alive on plastic and other surfaces for up to three days.
https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/487110-tests-indicate-coronavirus-can-survive-in-the-air

Yes, most of the planet is going to contract it sooner or later. What sucks a lot is that there are multiple strains now, so you can get it more than once.

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #1594 on: March 12, 2020, 09:17:02 AM »
 :drudge :drudge :drudge

Princess cruise suspends operations for 60 days
:O

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #1596 on: March 12, 2020, 09:30:42 AM »

That’s not good. That’s very not good.

That finding, if accepted, would come in stark contrast to previous media reports that suggested the virus was not easily transmittable outside of direct human contact.

The Information Age sure isn’t an age of clarity
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 09:35:23 AM by CatsCatsCats »

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #1597 on: March 12, 2020, 10:21:54 AM »
People laughed when I ran my air filter (with uv filter) on my desk this week   :lol

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon

james

« Reply #1599 on: March 12, 2020, 11:29:22 AM »
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1600 on: March 12, 2020, 11:35:50 AM »
my grandfather's carehome went into lockdown yesterday, no visitors in and out. i know its for the best but with him being an older asthmatic and already had major issues when he contracted pneumonia last year I can't help but be a bit worried.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1601 on: March 12, 2020, 11:38:38 AM »
my grandfather's carehome went into lockdown yesterday, no visitors in and out. i know its for the best but with him being an older asthmatic and already had major issues when he contracted pneumonia last year I can't help but be a bit worried.

France basically canceled all visits to retirement homes yesterday until further notice.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 11:45:22 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1602 on: March 12, 2020, 11:40:43 AM »
the worst part is gonna be if they cancel baseball. then instead of calling me every day about the latest dodgers game he's gonna call about whatever made him annoyed on fox news instead. :-\

G The Resurrected

« Reply #1603 on: March 12, 2020, 11:41:49 AM »
https://twitter.com/BetootaAdvocate/status/1238013005624819718

I'm not getting any better, my breathing treatments only do so much.

EDIT: teach me how to fix these damn links I'm fucking dumb and my brain power is limited due to lack of oxygen.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 12:00:45 PM by G The Resurrected »

Coffee Dog

« Reply #1604 on: March 12, 2020, 11:45:31 AM »
Made my last big trip to walmart for the forseeable future, went in the middle of the night to avoid coming into contact with other humans. Disinfected my clothes afterwards and sectioned off the groceries for a few days to kill the infection.

I think I'll get it eventually, but if I can delay it for a while it would be in my best interest on the low but still like 1% of it being serious. I work from home mostly, I think I can get away with it for a while.

james

« Reply #1605 on: March 12, 2020, 11:45:44 AM »
Brazil infecting the white house

Huehuehuehue

Lonewulfeus

• Former Unofficial Ambassador to ResetEra
« Reply #1606 on: March 12, 2020, 11:53:38 AM »
https://twitter.com/BetootaAdvocate/status/1238013005624819718

I'm not getting any better, my breathing treatments only do so much.

EDIT: teach me how to fix these damn links I'm fucking dumb and my brain power is limited due to lack of oxygen.

Remove everything after the numbers in the link

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #1608 on: March 12, 2020, 12:11:05 PM »

Retaliation ?

we need to hold china accountable.... they subsidize world capitalism by providing effective labor for TNCs and all that profit made from that labor gets taxed and put into social programs in the countries i either live in or want to live in.... they need to be held accountable. we should move all production back here instead..... how can we trust them when they sacrificed all these social liberties in their corona response...  they needed to do it in a way that I (an expert) think is effective.
If this virus limited to kill hobos in China, nobody would give a shit (outside maybe from empty Twitter indignation) guaranteed, so... China needs to pay.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #1609 on: March 12, 2020, 12:12:47 PM »
Trump has been in direct contact with like 6 people that either have had corona or were exposed to someone that had it. If this mother fucker somehow ends up not going it :beli
All those tanning beds.. :trumps

shosta

« Reply #1610 on: March 12, 2020, 12:21:29 PM »
I'm calling TKO! Stop the fight!
每天生气

Himu

« Reply #1611 on: March 12, 2020, 12:41:51 PM »
:lol I mostly watch Fox and Tucker to gauge what Republicans think of situations. It's good to be informed on what they're saying rather than insulating myself from it. Me agreeing with Tucker on some issues doesn't really mean anything as we have concluded he (smartly) steals left talking points to appeal to his base to offer some "alternative" to the left. I find Tucker frightening as I do fascinating because it's obvious he's trying to get Sanders supporters to vote Trump by making a case that Trump will look out for the working class. I thought you had no problem with Sanders saying,"they are authoratarian but they were right on some things..." Where's the call for nuance now? :doge
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1612 on: March 12, 2020, 12:46:34 PM »
tucker may be a douche but he's also the only one on fox blasting the gop and trump for the shitty response to corona and hiding info to not hurt re-election chances.

Himu

« Reply #1613 on: March 12, 2020, 12:46:39 PM »
Anyways...

My head is still killing me. I've got some chills, and I just barfed all the water I've been drinking.

Me rn

Meanwhile I'm questioning if I should go to work or not. :doge America fuck yeah :rock
IYKYK

shosta

« Reply #1614 on: March 12, 2020, 12:50:33 PM »
Sounds more like a stomach illness
每天生气

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #1615 on: March 12, 2020, 12:55:06 PM »
https://twitter.com/fang_wenxin/status/1237936489654300677

the chicoms were right about everything  :bow :bow :bow :chinacry :bow2 :bow2 :bow2

Clockwork5

« Reply #1616 on: March 12, 2020, 12:58:28 PM »
It will be interesting to see what happens at work tonight. I’m a scrubby restaurant employee and expendable but I live in a city of doctors and scientists and the university that employees them just suspended classes for two months. I’m imagining myself wiping things down in an empty restaurant, or just getting sent home.

BisMarckie

« Reply #1617 on: March 12, 2020, 01:08:03 PM »
My father in law owns  a painting and scaffolding firm. They ran out of masks today and there are none available.  :doge

My professional legal advice was to tell the painters to go fuck themselves and man up. But he actually cares for his employees.  ::)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1618 on: March 12, 2020, 01:10:29 PM »
Toilet paper mania has hit Atlanta- it's starting to sell out around here.  Tried to get some off Amazon and it sold out while in the cart.  Neighbor just told me the closest supermarket is cleaned out.  Managed to get some off Prime Now.  They forced me to buy 10 packs (40 rolls) to get it, but guess it means no need to buy any for a while.
ど助平

BisMarckie

« Reply #1619 on: March 12, 2020, 01:13:10 PM »
Toilet paper mania has hit Atlanta- it's starting to sell out around here.  Tried to get some off Amazon and it sold out while in the cart.  Neighbor just told me the closest supermarket is cleaned out.  Managed to get some off Prime Now.  They forced me to buy 10 packs (40 rolls) to get it, but guess it means no need to buy any for a while.

Are you interested in selling bidets as a side hustle? You gotta seize these business opportunities. :money