Author Topic: Corona Thread |OT| Nu variant, who dis?  (Read 1081737 times)

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
Re: Corona Thread |OT| Money-printer goes BRRRR
« Reply #2820 on: March 18, 2020, 05:43:41 PM »
Yeah, even restaurants with Michelin stars do deliveries now.  :doge

Time to spin them Michelin tires and bring me my duck a l'orange, bitch.
©@©™

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2821 on: March 18, 2020, 05:44:39 PM »
Just to illustrate the fumble...

March 7 :
https://people.bfmtv.com/actualite-people/emmanuel-et-brigitte-macron-au-theatre-pour-inciter-les-francais-a-sortir-malgre-le-coronavirus-1870852.html

Macron and his wife go to a stage theater performance and says :
"Life goes on, there's no reason for anyone -unless you are part of a at-risk demographic- to change their habits regarding going out for leisure."

March 16 :
"THIS IS WAR !"
ὕβρις

team filler

• filler
  • filler

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2823 on: March 18, 2020, 05:50:44 PM »
Scheer is on the CBC and I legitimately forgot he was still the leader of the opposition after his scandal.  He's basically just saying what the PM is doing is pretty good so far.  Think Canada lucked out pretty good on when this hit, even Alberta with the oil crisis.

Svejk

« Reply #2824 on: March 18, 2020, 06:00:54 PM »
Wife and kids tried to go to the beach today... Slammed packed full of spring breakers with no sense of social distancing at all... Fuck all of them.. GET OFF MY LAWN!  There's a reason old people get mad at those damn whippersnappers. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2825 on: March 18, 2020, 06:05:39 PM »
Social distancing means that others have to keep their distance from me right.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2826 on: March 18, 2020, 06:07:05 PM »
Why the fuck were YOU trying to go to the beach

I don't know, it wouldn't be an issue if density is low and people keep an healthy distance. It's yet not the time in the US to consider that though.
ὕβρις

Svejk

« Reply #2827 on: March 18, 2020, 06:11:54 PM »
Normally, there's plenty of space...Right now, it's like the only beach open is the one near us.  Needless to say, no beach today.  Spring breakers ruined it.   Tampa has apparently close their beaches.. only a matter of time before they do it ours.  The subdivision we live in too, they close the amenities; no pool or nothing.. all parks near us closed too... wish I had a house with a yard for my children to play in.  :(

Leadbelly

« Reply #2828 on: March 18, 2020, 06:21:04 PM »
You know, I have a little bit of an understanding now of how people become hypochondriacs. I have a bit of cough and suddenly I am wondering if I have the coronavirus. lol

I had a bit of a cough and then it went away.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2829 on: March 18, 2020, 06:26:44 PM »
BC isn't doing well.  It's over taken Onario in number of cases. 

BisMarckie

« Reply #2830 on: March 18, 2020, 06:33:23 PM »
Gee I wonder why so many people are at the beach, fuckers should stay at home so I can do this social distancing thing.  :doge

Leadbelly

« Reply #2831 on: March 18, 2020, 06:36:00 PM »
So the UK is now going to close schools. It will be interesting to see whether that actually does anything. Because it is still not clear how much kids actually get infected. Some show signs, but only a few seem to. And it's not clear if those who test positive but show no symptoms at a certain age are actually capable of transmitting it. Some believe they may not be. And if that is the case, it would be kind of pointless and may have unintended consequences.

The other thing is, it is kind of surreal watching young kids walking around because you know they know the chances are it will do absolutely nothing to them. And so they seem to walk around in groups as if everything is completely normal. That contrast between the older generations and the younger generations is really surreal to observe.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #2832 on: March 18, 2020, 06:38:17 PM »
So the UK is now going to close schools. I will be interesting to see whether that actually does anything. Because it is still not clear how much kids actually get infected. Some do, but only a few seem to. And it's not clear if those who show no symptoms at a certain age are actually capable of transmitting it. Some believe they may not be. And if that is the case, it would be kind of pointless and may have unintended consequences.

The other thing is, it is kind of surreal watching young kids walking around because you know they know the chances are it will do absolutely nothing to them. And so they seem walk around in groups as if everything is completely normal. That contrast between the older generations and the younger generations is really surreal to observe.
I'm reading that London might go into lockdown on friday.

The Dutch police is already preparing for a lockdown, but they're preparing for all sorts of scenario's.
Portugal has instated a lockdown, only 1 family member per household may go to the supermarket at set times. Otherwise, people have to stay in doors.
🤴

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #2834 on: March 18, 2020, 06:42:04 PM »

It's titty season

:woooo
:O

Leadbelly

« Reply #2835 on: March 18, 2020, 06:45:08 PM »
So the UK is now going to close schools. It will be interesting to see whether that actually does anything. Because it is still not clear how much kids actually get infected. Some show signs, but only a few seem to. And it's not clear if those who test positive but show no symptoms at a certain age are actually capable of transmitting it. Some believe they may not be. And if that is the case, it would be kind of pointless and may have unintended consequences.

The other thing is, it is kind of surreal watching young kids walking around because you know they know the chances are it will do absolutely nothing to them. And so they seem to walk around in groups as if everything is completely normal. That contrast between the older generations and the younger generations is really surreal to observe.

Why the fuck would kids somehow not be able to transmit and spread it? What virus works like that?

There are a couple apparently. And it's not clear why at this moment.

Leadbelly

« Reply #2836 on: March 18, 2020, 06:50:49 PM »
Although, this seems to dismiss that theory.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/03/17/coronavirus-looks-different-kids-than-adults/

So it may well be a good idea after all. :/

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #2837 on: March 18, 2020, 06:52:41 PM »
Chad USA: Free money for everybody  :money

The Virgin EU: Netflix must lower their quality of video streams so the internet doesn't get clogged up and the business skype chats don't work :derp

Most normies have shit 640x480 webcams anyway and skype never works, that's why Slack, Discord and Zoom were invented.
Fuck them, I want my Better Call Saul in 4K or I riot and spread misinformation about the Kung-Flu  :bolo
🤴

james

« Reply #2838 on: March 18, 2020, 06:54:07 PM »

Why the fuck would kids somehow not be able to transmit and spread it? What virus works like that?

HIV rates in kids are really low, only older people need to worry about it

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2839 on: March 18, 2020, 06:57:43 PM »

Not to be antagonistic but even if there's a handful of viruses when children are not transmitting (which is how I understand your message) wouldn't that still mean they do for a large majority of them and that as such the default assumption without data should be that they probably can infect people just fine ?

Besides closing schools also mean cutting on gatherings of parents in and around schools, which is basically the goal of most of European countries right now.

Plenty of issues with closing them, of course, but seems the least bad option right now, I'd say.
ὕβρις

Occam

« Reply #2840 on: March 18, 2020, 07:00:07 PM »

What? Kids who have the virus absolutely transmit it to others, they themselves just aren't effected much. Being asymptomatic doesn't mean not being infectious.
By now we understand fairly well how it works: The more coronaviruses you have come into contact with and accumulated antibodies against during the course of your life, (=generally the older you are) the harder covid-19 hits you. Worst case scenario: it can cause cytokine release syndrome (CRS) in your lungs (filling them with intracellular fluid, lymphocytes) causing respiratory distress.

Leadbelly

james

« Reply #2842 on: March 18, 2020, 07:01:51 PM »
Big brain: Cruise fares are probably cheap right now

Galaxy brain: Cruise ships are probably cheap right now

https://cruiseship.homestead.com/cruiseships.html

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #2843 on: March 18, 2020, 07:06:14 PM »

What an ugly website selling ships for millions lmao.

I'll take them for a roll of toilet paper  :success
🤴

Occam

« Reply #2844 on: March 18, 2020, 07:10:27 PM »

On top of Chloroquin derivatives & Remsirvir (sp ?), China and Japan are also testing a flu medecine developed by Fujifilm.

Remdesivir seems to work (alleviates symptoms in severe cases), Chloroquine does not (it only ever was effective in vitro, for any disease (!); the dosage required would be way too high. It had no effect in animal trials).

james

« Reply #2845 on: March 18, 2020, 07:15:23 PM »

What an ugly website selling ships for millions lmao.

I'll take them for a roll of toilet paper  :success

You should reach out and see if they're looking for a nicer website

james

« Reply #2846 on: March 18, 2020, 07:16:10 PM »
I'm guessing this guy is a Cuban bernie basher.

Suck it bitch

The first U.S. member of Congress has tested positive for coronavirus. In a statement, Rep. Mario Diaz-Balart (R-Fla.) said he developed a fever and headache on Saturday and had self-quarantined at his Washington apartment. He was notified that his test was positive a short time ago, he s
aid Wednesday.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #2848 on: March 18, 2020, 07:43:18 PM »
What? Kids who have the virus absolutely transmit it to others, they themselves just aren't effected much. Being asymptomatic doesn't mean not being infectious.
By now we understand fairly well how it works: The more coronaviruses you have come into contact with and accumulated antibodies against during the course of your life, (=generally the older you are) the harder covid-19 hits you. Worst case scenario: it can cause cytokine release syndrome (CRS) in your lungs (filling them with intracellular fluid, lymphocytes) causing respiratory distress.

I'm not sure about this.

For starters, it is way to early to call multiple things, fatality, complications, and symptoms are being researched along with transmission and you say the mechanics of mortality is understood fairly?
People are generally immunologically naive to this, barely anyone has exposure to the closely related SARS. Not overloaded on antibodies.
CRS tends to be a threat for younger people, not older as they'd fight off the illness otherwise.

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #2850 on: March 18, 2020, 07:56:21 PM »
https://twitter.com/katetaylornyt/status/1240343635754967043

I wonder how many of the bunker nutjobs prepping for a zombie outbreak or nuclear war even have one of these machines  :teehee

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #2851 on: March 18, 2020, 08:00:51 PM »

Damn.
每天生气

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2852 on: March 18, 2020, 08:04:57 PM »
Didn't they report over a thousand recoveries though ?
That's a thin silver lining to today's number but you know...
ὕβρις

« Reply #2854 on: March 18, 2020, 08:07:39 PM »
It’s 5pm and no call from my surgeon. I don’t know if that’s good or bad. My surgery is still listed in my ecare account.
野球

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>

Leadbelly

« Reply #2856 on: March 18, 2020, 08:10:08 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Damn.

Yeah, unfortunately there was a good chance that was going to happen. Viruses tend to double
exponentially. It starts off slowly as it builds up (2, 4, 8, 16) but then, as you start to get into bigger numbers, it appears as if it has just exploded all of a sudden. One week hardly anyone is infected, the next week thousands are infected. When you think about it, because of the nature of exponential doubling, if you got to half the population being infected, the following day the entire population would have it. So in the US for example, that would mean 150 million people would get the virus in 1 day.

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #2857 on: March 18, 2020, 08:11:26 PM »
wow thanks leadbelly
每天生气

Leadbelly

« Reply #2858 on: March 18, 2020, 08:18:45 PM »
wow thanks leadbelly

I saw that edit. :p

Anyway, it wasn't said because I thought you didn't know how doubling works, it was more just confirming that was probably what is going on. Why there is a sudden jump as if it just exploded all of a sudden.

james

« Reply #2859 on: March 18, 2020, 08:20:22 PM »
 :drudge :drudge :drudge

The government is spreading covid19 as a way to control the population

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2860 on: March 18, 2020, 08:21:56 PM »
I think I get you.  So it's 2,4,6,8,16, then 24 right?

Leadbelly

« Reply #2861 on: March 18, 2020, 08:23:03 PM »
I think I get you.  So it's 2,4,6,8,16, then 24 right?

The funny thing about this is you got it wrong.

2, 4, 8, 16, 32

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
Re: Corona virus megathread |OT|
« Reply #2862 on: March 18, 2020, 08:23:16 PM »
This is going to look really great in 2 weeks when like 200 million people are dead

TVC the prophet. Also, TVC hasn't posted in a while.  :thinking

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2863 on: March 18, 2020, 08:25:09 PM »
Well now I don't know who to believe.  Also are we now measuring deaths in meters? 

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #2864 on: March 18, 2020, 08:30:57 PM »
more mortality news

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/99-25-of-those-who-died-from-virus-had-other-illness-italy-says/ar-BB11mr4X

The average age of those who’ve died from the virus in Italy is 79.5

All of Italy’s victims under 40 have been males with serious existing medical conditions.

Almost half of the victims suffered from at least three prior illnesses and about a fourth had either one or two previous conditions.

we need to kinda speed up the mass testing of vaccines by distributing them to old people as priority

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #2865 on: March 18, 2020, 08:37:35 PM »
It's incredibly sad, but also good news..

For sure the average person is going to, understandably, feel good for themselves. But it just homes in on how one demographic is just so vulnerable to this and is the priority to protect.
Quarantine old people and rollout mass testing vaccines for them first.

Suppression is not maintainable long term, mitigation is a bit more maintainable. The old people need to be locked up (in homes).

Leadbelly

« Reply #2866 on: March 18, 2020, 08:42:47 PM »
I wouldn't class my mum as elderly, but unfortunately she has lung disease from smoking. Which is why I am kind of worried sick for her. Considering her condition is a respiratory condition and Covid-19 is a respiratory illness, you'd imagine she isn't going to handle it well.

And when you consider that this may not be going away in the summer, the chances of her getting it is high.

Leadbelly

« Reply #2867 on: March 18, 2020, 09:02:22 PM »
Also, an article explaining the exponential growth of viruses like Covid-19, if you're interested.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/startswithabang/2020/03/17/why-exponential-growth-is-so-scary-for-the-covid-19-coronavirus/#7d1aa6c14e9b

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2868 on: March 18, 2020, 09:03:13 PM »
Hope your mom stays safe dude. 

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2869 on: March 18, 2020, 09:07:40 PM »
New York state being already at 2300+ confirmed cases (and 20 deaths) is not good, it's ahead of some of the smaller EU nations by itself. Obviously NY is super dense and has a lot of traffic but this doesn't bode well for next week's in the USA...
ὕβρις

Leadbelly

« Reply #2870 on: March 18, 2020, 09:08:40 PM »
Also, an article explaining the exponential growth of viruses like Covid-19, if you're interested.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/startswithabang/2020/03/17/why-exponential-growth-is-so-scary-for-the-covid-19-coronavirus/#7d1aa6c14e9b

I thought this video did a great job.

The editing is terrible. I can't tell if it is talking about linear or exponential growth.

Leadbelly

« Reply #2871 on: March 18, 2020, 09:10:50 PM »
Hope your mom stays safe dude.

Thanks. The crazy thing is she still smokes. She has lung disease and she still smokes. Smoking really is more addictive than crack for some people, I swear.

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #2872 on: March 18, 2020, 09:17:01 PM »
This bite-sized analysis covers some big things. Like the lag time in stats, people that died today were infected weeks ago likely and therefore true cases is the invisible monolith.
Bodes well I guess for calculating true mortality, but very concerning when you think about the numbers of the day.

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #2873 on: March 18, 2020, 09:21:37 PM »
New York state being already at 2300+ confirmed cases (and 20 deaths) is not good, it's ahead of some of the smaller EU nations by itself. Obviously NY is super dense and has a lot of traffic but this doesn't bode well for next week's in the USA...

With the incubation time and time to death considered, this is a reflection of the city a week or two in the past. Unless heavy measurements were put in place around that time in the past, there is gonna be a big boom.

Leadbelly

« Reply #2874 on: March 18, 2020, 09:22:57 PM »
Yeah. I was listening to the Sam Harris podcast on this and the person he had on it had the mortality rate at around 0.6, which is still 6 times more deadly than the seasonal flu, but a lot less than 2% at least. I hope it is lower.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2875 on: March 18, 2020, 09:24:19 PM »
Isn't the average incubation closer to 5 days than 14 ? The latter is not that uncommon either, so that doesn't distract from the general observation.
ὕβρις

bluemax

NO

Propagandhim

« Reply #2877 on: March 18, 2020, 09:46:36 PM »
https://twitter.com/profgalloway/status/1240445581639716866
https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1240371160078000128

I feel like I'm living in a movie right now, knowing i'm stuck quarantined for months.  Is this real?

« Reply #2879 on: March 18, 2020, 10:00:07 PM »
Got the call from my surgeon, I’m good to go for Friday. It’s still relatively calm at UW and Friday is likely the best time to get this done for at least the next two months.
野球