Author Topic: Corona Thread |OT| Nu variant, who dis?  (Read 1081755 times)

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
Re: Corona Thread |OT| Money-printer goes BRRRR
« Reply #2880 on: March 18, 2020, 10:22:02 PM »
Got the call from my surgeon, I’m good to go for Friday. It’s still relatively calm at UW and Friday is likely the best time to get this done for at least the next two months.

Here's hoping everything goes smoothly for ya!
^_^

bluemax

« Reply #2881 on: March 18, 2020, 10:25:01 PM »
Rooting for you Mr Gundam!
NO

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #2882 on: March 18, 2020, 10:26:08 PM »
New York state being already at 2300+ confirmed cases (and 20 deaths) is not good, it's ahead of some of the smaller EU nations by itself. Obviously NY is super dense and has a lot of traffic but this doesn't bode well for next week's in the USA...

With the incubation time and time to death considered, this is a reflection of the city a week or two in the past. Unless heavy measurements were put in place around that time in the past, there is gonna be a big boom.

Yeah, most of the big shutdowns for the city (curfew of 8pm, bars and theaters closing, restaurants forced to do takeout only) happened within the last few days. Thankfully, they've opened a few testing facilities around the island, 2 in Nassau and one in Suffolk. NY also had its first recovery today.
^_^

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #2883 on: March 18, 2020, 10:42:42 PM »

Whew lads
每天生气

Bebpo

« Reply #2884 on: March 18, 2020, 10:45:49 PM »
https://www.thebeaverton.com/2020/03/ttc-adequate-for-first-time-in-40-years/

The freeways in LA are so empty, it is pretty insane.

https://twitter.com/mattdpearce/status/1240426099093303297

If the weather wasn't so shitty I'd have gone outside and breathed some of this good stuff.

Maybe tomorrow.

actually scratch that. Just looked at the weather and nothing but rain and clouds every day for the next 7 day forecast -_-
While we need the rain, considering everyone is all cooped up, this would be the one fucking nice time to have So Cal weather to go outside and get some sun & exercise.
Feels like in the last 2 months everything that can go wrong is going wrong with the world.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #2885 on: March 18, 2020, 10:52:09 PM »
https://mobile.twitter.com/jeremycyoung/status/1239975682643357696

we are so fucked

I know we're not supposed to panic buy etc. but there is a difference between panicking and like...just making wise decisions based on available data

and if this all turns out not to be a big deal and it ends in 2 months somehow and I find myself with a couple items I wouldn't have had otherwise, like a second freezer or some home defense items, I don't anticipate regretting it or being suddenly bankrupt over these things
Uncle

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2886 on: March 18, 2020, 11:03:30 PM »

Whew lads

That upward swing on the tail end of the USA line is really worrying.
dog

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2887 on: March 18, 2020, 11:05:59 PM »
That's 2 data points - not a trend.  Look at china at 10 days. 

Bebpo

« Reply #2888 on: March 18, 2020, 11:07:39 PM »
I'm pretty curious to see if all the halfway lockdown social distancing in Washington and CA and NYC will have a real visible effect on stats. Unfortunately will take about another 1.5 weeks to start showing.

shosta

« Reply #2889 on: March 18, 2020, 11:13:02 PM »
That upward swing on the tail end of the USA line is really worrying.
It looked even worse the last time this was posted but it's tracked 33% pretty well so that's probably noise. With the closures nationwide we should start to see this thing get under control. Look at Italy beginning to slow down.
每天生气

Clockwork5

« Reply #2890 on: March 18, 2020, 11:13:41 PM »
Once our testing ramps up we are going to own that graph then I have a hunch we will pass the torch to India or the global spread will make its way back to China with a vengeance.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2891 on: March 18, 2020, 11:17:40 PM »
India seems to be doing good.

shosta

« Reply #2892 on: March 18, 2020, 11:17:48 PM »
I went out so many times today. I'm going to wake up with it tomorrow. I just know it.
每天生气

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2893 on: March 18, 2020, 11:20:55 PM »
Worth it for the silky hair.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #2894 on: March 18, 2020, 11:22:26 PM »
I'm pretty curious to see if all the halfway lockdown social distancing in Washington and CA and NYC will have a real visible effect on stats. Unfortunately will take about another 1.5 weeks to start showing.

I'm in San Jose and when I went to get a couple items at 3PM, it felt like a small town on a Sunday morning. Saw one other car on the highway and didn't see anything open other than grocery stores and restaurants. Some small independent restaurants actually had owners standing outside to try to invite people to get take-out, probably because they're really hurting right now.

It's also weird how if you go to Trader Joe's or any other grocery store, they wipe down your cart and spray hand sanitizer onto your hands and they also limit how many people can enter the store at any time. So you had to wait in line before you could go in.

It feels like the economy is going to take a 12 month unpaid vacation.

bluemax

« Reply #2895 on: March 18, 2020, 11:26:40 PM »
I have my dog at home so I take her out about every 4 hours. The walk we go on around 5 is the one where I see the most people, lots out for walks/jogs/bike rides. Could just be that we are a few days removed from rain and the weather is kind of nice.
NO

Bebpo

« Reply #2896 on: March 18, 2020, 11:28:38 PM »
They didn't wipe my cart down  :'(
Also didn't see the line system but heard about it. Wasn't insanely crowded at the hour I went.

When I got home I did clorox wipe every item and let it sit because I'm being a bit paranoid  :P

Not sure if putting stuff in the fridge or freezer would kill it after a day? I'm guessing freezer cold temps would (I should google this) but idk about fridge temps.

shosta

« Reply #2897 on: March 18, 2020, 11:30:45 PM »
my hair was DRYING OUT and I NEEDED IT, won't you think of the metrosexuals just for once in your life?!
每天生气

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #2898 on: March 18, 2020, 11:34:27 PM »
The stories are gonna start flowing now
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/18/nyregion/new-jersey-family-coronavirus.html

That's 2 data points - not a trend.  Look at china at 10 days.

Looks at China's response and then America's.

shosta

« Reply #2899 on: March 18, 2020, 11:38:47 PM »
Also, I didn't just get conditioner. I picked up this awesome guzmania:

Got some weird looks though considering everyone else was stockpiling toilet paper
每天生气

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #2900 on: March 18, 2020, 11:42:27 PM »
They were surprised by your improvisation in choice of wipes.

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #2901 on: March 18, 2020, 11:53:06 PM »
https://www.newsweek.com/blood-type-coronavirus-covid-19-1492890

Blood Type O represent.  :doge

Taking the data as a whole, the researchers concluded that "blood group A had a significantly higher risk for COVID-19" when compared with non-A blood groups. Those in the O group, meanwhile, "had a significantly lower risk for the infectious disease."

The difference could be explained by certain antibodies in the blood, but this will need to be investigated in future studies in order to be confirmed, they said.

The study could have implications for healthcare workers treating COVID-19 patients, the researchers said, as A blood types "might need particularly strengthened personal protection to reduce the chance of infection."

These individuals might also "need to receive more vigilant surveillance and aggressive treatment," and it might be helpful for healthcare workers to identify a person's blood type as a routine part of treating COVID-19 and other infections by members of the coronavirus family of pathogens.

However they stressed that the study was limited, and "one should be cautious to use this study to guide clinical practice at this time. This study encourages further studies."

BisMarckie

« Reply #2902 on: March 18, 2020, 11:55:53 PM »
You know, for all the shit we type 0s have to put up with, it’s finally our time to shine :rejoice

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #2903 on: March 19, 2020, 12:01:08 AM »
"therefore we must ask that the type Os of the world step forward, non-voluntarily if necessary, and donate your magic blood to be injected into the rest of us"
Uncle

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #2904 on: March 19, 2020, 12:01:15 AM »
RIP theaters. Rotten Tomatoes has removed the Now Showing/Opening Soon columns from the frontpage, and just has TV & Streaming Now.

©@©™

Bebpo

« Reply #2905 on: March 19, 2020, 12:01:55 AM »
How do you find out your blood type? I have blood tests every 6 weeks and have like 30 results of them in my files but I don't think it says on a standard CBC? I mean I get so much blood drawn they should know

(Image removed from quote.)

Got some weird looks though considering everyone else was stockpiling toilet paper

When I went to TJs, the lady in front of me at the check out bought like 4 plants. I think it's a healthy thing when you're cooped up to have some life besides yourself.

BisMarckie

« Reply #2906 on: March 19, 2020, 12:03:32 AM »
"therefore we must ask that the type Os of the world step forward, non-voluntarily if necessary, and donate your magic blood to be injected into the rest of us"

You mean like we always do? :maf

We cam donate to all blood types but can only receive type 0 blood. This injustice has to end and if every other blood type is eliminated by Corona-Chan, then I am willing to pay this price.

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #2907 on: March 19, 2020, 12:06:57 AM »
How do you find out your blood type? I have blood tests every 6 weeks and have like 30 results of them in my files but I don't think it says on a standard CBC? I mean I get so much blood drawn they should know

When I went to TJs, the lady in front of me at the check out bought like 4 plants. I think it's a healthy thing when you're cooped up to have some life besides yourself.

I donated to the Red Cross and made sure to ask what my blood type would be. I'm sure whomever is drawing your blood could tell you.

shosta

« Reply #2908 on: March 19, 2020, 12:09:37 AM »
How do you find out your blood type?
isn't it on your driver's license?
每天生气

BisMarckie

« Reply #2909 on: March 19, 2020, 12:11:59 AM »
Joe is gonna die, Bernie will be president. :rejoice

BisMarckie

« Reply #2910 on: March 19, 2020, 12:13:09 AM »
Seriously though, hope you will recover soon.

Stay hydrated, try to sleep a lot and you will be as good as new in a couple of days.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #2911 on: March 19, 2020, 12:13:45 AM »

You mean like we always do? :maf

We cam donate to all blood types but can only receive type 0 blood. This injustice has to end and if every other blood type is eliminated by Corona-Chan, then I am willing to pay this price.

Uncle

Bebpo

« Reply #2912 on: March 19, 2020, 12:15:57 AM »
How do you find out your blood type?
isn't it on your driver's license?

Just checked. Nope, not in CA. Or maybe that's one of those youngin' things.

shosta

« Reply #2913 on: March 19, 2020, 12:18:31 AM »
Just checked my old license and it wasn't there either. I'm just imagining things I guess
每天生气

« Reply #2914 on: March 19, 2020, 12:21:52 AM »

It’s a separate test part of comprehensive labs. I only know because of my past surgery and my upcoming one, but I’m O Positive.
野球

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #2915 on: March 19, 2020, 12:25:24 AM »
juss check me license says fuck stost!

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #2916 on: March 19, 2020, 12:26:37 AM »
So we've been at home for a week now.

In this time ive been out to shops twice (with mask an gloves) and gotten a few deliveries. My wife got a coffee at a gas station last week too and used alco gel afterwards.

Talked to some neighbors with a meter or two distance. Been on walks in the forest with the fam. Oldest daughter has been a champ really. Luckily we have a garden and it stopped raining for the first time in months.

Still 11 days to go until my vacation is over, don't expect to go back to the office though. Hope business continues to be good so there is work to come back to (so far business is doing great).

Life has a weird rythym now but its ok.

Thought about my grandma a lot and how she would laugh if she was around to see this "struggle". "Oooh you got it bad sitting at home warm with loads of food? Poor bebe. Lemme tell you about Auschwitz." Just her memory puts it all in perspective  :)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 12:31:11 AM by Premium Lager »

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me

« Reply #2918 on: March 19, 2020, 12:32:19 AM »
I go outside and take short walks but avoid everyone who isn’t my wife or daughter. I haven’t been in a store since the beginning of the month and the only building I’ve been in that isn’t my house is the hospital for my pre-surgery appointment.
野球

benjipwns

« Reply #2919 on: March 19, 2020, 12:33:09 AM »
Brady Sluder is actually over 150 years old trapped in a loop to spring break forever, "Economic collapse? 9/11? Gamergate? Sorry man, at the end of the day I'm not gonna let me stop me from partying"

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #2920 on: March 19, 2020, 12:35:07 AM »
You've been self isolating that long?

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #2921 on: March 19, 2020, 12:50:17 AM »
https://www.newsweek.com/blood-type-coronavirus-covid-19-1492890

Blood Type O represent.  :doge

Taking the data as a whole, the researchers concluded that "blood group A had a significantly higher risk for COVID-19" when compared with non-A blood groups. Those in the O group, meanwhile, "had a significantly lower risk for the infectious disease."

The difference could be explained by certain antibodies in the blood, but this will need to be investigated in future studies in order to be confirmed, they said.

The study could have implications for healthcare workers treating COVID-19 patients, the researchers said, as A blood types "might need particularly strengthened personal protection to reduce the chance of infection."

These individuals might also "need to receive more vigilant surveillance and aggressive treatment," and it might be helpful for healthcare workers to identify a person's blood type as a routine part of treating COVID-19 and other infections by members of the coronavirus family of pathogens.

However they stressed that the study was limited, and "one should be cautious to use this study to guide clinical practice at this time. This study encourages further studies."
8)
Typo O chads win again.

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
« Reply #2922 on: March 19, 2020, 01:01:43 AM »
This feels like a blackout where the powers still on

Propagandhim

« Reply #2923 on: March 19, 2020, 01:14:38 AM »
https://twitter.com/PrisonPlanet/status/1240451637195558914

What is up with this guy?  "Please disseminate it to the scientific community immediately." Uhh, shouldn't they be aware of a goddamn corona virus CURE if one worked?  You need Tucker to spread it to the science community?  :lol What the hell is this?

https://twitter.com/JonGinTheD/status/1239787846040518656

Oh, here we go..
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 01:24:52 AM by Propagandhim »

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #2924 on: March 19, 2020, 01:27:03 AM »
Yes yes, this is following Soderbergh's movie to a T so far.  :doge

Even the part where they skipped animal trials for the vaccine.  :doge :doge

Propagandhim

« Reply #2925 on: March 19, 2020, 01:31:02 AM »
This guy must be a co-author on the study or something.  (Edit: he is) This is real irresponsible to tell millions of viewers, "Ayyy it's ok everyone.  We have a cure.  You can not take any of this quarantine stuff seriously again" if this turns out to be spurious.  Fox has been dangerous as hell these past few months.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 01:39:44 AM by Propagandhim »

Occam

« Reply #2926 on: March 19, 2020, 01:42:05 AM »
What? Kids who have the virus absolutely transmit it to others, they themselves just aren't effected much. Being asymptomatic doesn't mean not being infectious.
By now we understand fairly well how it works: The more coronaviruses you have come into contact with and accumulated antibodies against during the course of your life, (=generally the older you are) the harder covid-19 hits you. Worst case scenario: it can cause cytokine release syndrome (CRS) in your lungs (filling them with intracellular fluid, lymphocytes) causing respiratory distress.

I'm not sure about this.

For starters, it is way to early to call multiple things, fatality, complications, and symptoms are being researched along with transmission and you say the mechanics of mortality is understood fairly?
People are generally immunologically naive to this, barely anyone has exposure to the closely related SARS. Not overloaded on antibodies.
CRS tends to be a threat for younger people, not older as they'd fight off the illness otherwise.

Everyone has been exposed to many coronaviridae in the past.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coronaviridae

Occam

« Reply #2927 on: March 19, 2020, 02:10:25 AM »
https://twitter.com/PrisonPlanet/status/1240451637195558914

What is up with this guy?  "Please disseminate it to the scientific community immediately." Uhh, shouldn't they be aware of a goddamn corona virus CURE if one worked?  You need Tucker to spread it to the science community?  :lol What the hell is this?

https://twitter.com/JonGinTheD/status/1239787846040518656

Oh, here we go..

As mentioned on the previous page, Chloroquine does not work. It actually doesn't work against ANY disease. It was shown to only have an effect in vitro, not in real organisms (because the dosage required would be lethal).

Propagandhim

« Reply #2928 on: March 19, 2020, 02:13:06 AM »
Wonderful.  Glad they put it on TV.  Excellent.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2929 on: March 19, 2020, 02:19:22 AM »
Some French doctors think hydrochloroquin might work (as I mentioned upthread) but the study sample so far is so minuscule that it's not established by any means it helps.
ὕβρις

benjipwns

« Reply #2930 on: March 19, 2020, 02:24:45 AM »
Have they tried NyQuil™? The list of stuff it cures is quite long in the commercial. Somebody should look into that.

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #2931 on: March 19, 2020, 02:25:24 AM »
Chloroquine is used widely for malaria though, so "doesn't work against ANY disease" doesn't sound right.  ???
Cure is way too preemptive a statement for sure.

Propagandhim

« Reply #2932 on: March 19, 2020, 02:28:49 AM »
Some French doctors think hydrochloroquin might work (as I mentioned upthread) but the study sample so far is so minuscule that it's not established by any means it helps.

That's what the Tucker video is referring to.  Either way, aren't anti-malarias really harsh, ototoxic drugs?  Kind of shitty for preventative medicine.  Many years ago when I got tinnitus, I used to hang out at a support forum where a lot of ppl claimed they got it from those class of drugs. 

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #2933 on: March 19, 2020, 02:30:37 AM »
China says there were no new local infections today, which would be the first day that happened.

Would be cool if this wasn't announced a day after they banned a bunch of foreign journalists.

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #2934 on: March 19, 2020, 02:42:21 AM »
On the note of malaria and anti-malarials.
Malaria has potentially killed billions of people over human existence, still continues to kill almost half a million people per year.

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #2935 on: March 19, 2020, 02:44:33 AM »
On the note of malaria and anti-malarials.
Malaria has potentially killed billions of people over human existence, still continues to kill almost half a million people per year.

Didn’t realize Far Cry 2 is still that popular.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
:corona_rodney
[close]
Margs

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2936 on: March 19, 2020, 02:46:05 AM »
Have they tried NyQuil™? The list of stuff it cures is quite long in the commercial. Somebody should look into that.

GunOn™ ! Apply directly to forehead !
ὕβρις

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #2937 on: March 19, 2020, 02:52:26 AM »
Another worry crossed my mind. The US is very obese is it not?
I hope that doesn't correlate with bad outcomes.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #2938 on: March 19, 2020, 02:53:02 AM »
Another worry crossed my mind. The US is very obese is it not?
I hope that doesn't correlate with bad outcomes.

Diabetes is a risk factor.

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #2939 on: March 19, 2020, 02:56:13 AM »
Quick search. Welp.
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Bore to lose hard against the corona
[close]

https://twitter.com/DailyMirror/status/1239526157722292224

https://twitter.com/DrMattMcCarthy/status/1240195883351904256