Author Topic: Corona Thread |OT| Nu variant, who dis?  (Read 1081966 times)

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
Re: Corona Thread |OT| Money-printer goes BRRRR
« Reply #3000 on: March 19, 2020, 03:46:52 PM »

“I’m not sure what the problem is, but Little Darlings is abiding by all Social Distancing Guidelines suggested by the government. As a fixture in Las Vegas for 30 years, we will remain open and continue to offer nude dancing. For those guests who request further separation, we will be offering drive thru strip shows starting tomorrow. America is a free country, and strippers will continue to be a part of the fabric of American life.”

I know exactly what I'm spending my coronabucks on.
每天生气

Himu

« Reply #3001 on: March 19, 2020, 03:49:23 PM »
https://twitter.com/NYCMayor/status/1240628796878991362

Halp Elon!

Elon musk is the only billionaire out there helping with this. The others have disappeared.
IYKYK

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #3002 on: March 19, 2020, 03:51:25 PM »
Retooling a manufacturing facility doesn't happen overnight. It takes many weeks and a lot of collaboration between hundreds of people at various levels. Not saying it shouldn't be attempted, but it's not like flipping a light switch and the machine starts producing new widgets.

BisMarckie

« Reply #3003 on: March 19, 2020, 03:51:52 PM »
My sore throat Ive had all week will not go away :(

TFW you will manage the james fund in a couple of days. :rejoice

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #3004 on: March 19, 2020, 03:55:41 PM »
I feel bad for the students

How do you get laid taking class at home?

We're about to create an entire generation of incels

are you kidding with recent divorce and remarry rates do you know how many step siblings are quarantined together  :phil
Uncle

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3005 on: March 19, 2020, 03:56:42 PM »

Halp Elon!

Elon musk is the only billionaire out there helping with this. The others have disappeared.
The timeline is that Musk said it wasn't a big deal because more people died of other things and that making more medical devices was 'easy'.  :smug

Then people started talking about hospitals shortages and he was like: "Shortages?"  :smug

The Twitterati are now basically begging for him to do something  :lol
🤴

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #3006 on: March 19, 2020, 03:57:06 PM »
If you're a hospital with a ventilator shortage or someone in a position to compile a list, please let @elonmusk and me know here.

What is Nate Silver going to do exactly? Run some more poor stats? :lol

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3007 on: March 19, 2020, 04:02:09 PM »
If you're a hospital with a ventilator shortage or someone in a position to compile a list, please let @elonmusk and me know here.

Elon is going to make him look like a clown  :lol
🤴

Himu

« Reply #3008 on: March 19, 2020, 04:26:30 PM »

Halp Elon!

Errr.. Bill Gates?  Immediately donated $100 million in February and has been ongoing with involvement in vaccine development and other health care options... not to mention has spent millions researching for what to do in a pandemic for years and how to improve health care systems all over the world.

But sure.. Musk made a tweet.

First time hearing this about Gates. Thanks.
IYKYK

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3009 on: March 19, 2020, 04:31:13 PM »
Glad the Queen hauled ass out of London.  If we lose our betters, the world will go to chaos. 

Svejk

« Reply #3010 on: March 19, 2020, 04:31:56 PM »
Wife and kids tried to go to the beach today... Slammed packed full of spring breakers with no sense of social distancing at all... Fuck all of them.. GET OFF MY LAWN!  There's a reason old people get mad at those damn whippersnappers.

It's your wife and kids not staying at fucking home. You're just as much a part of the problem.
?  Even before the virus, we would never even come remotely close to people.  There’s nothing there to touch/contaminate.  There’s a constant saline breeze blowing inland.  Plenty of sunshine that kills viruses and provides Vitamin D.  Plus, and most importantly, there’s dozens upon dozens of secluded inlets allowing several hundred yards from any other person…   It’s like night and day with these idiot spring breakers though…  they’re doing everything, and anything possible to socially gather; hanging out in large groups, hanging out at every fast food place or coffee shop, hopping from rental to rental,  going to the movies… they have done this ALL just this week and only have gotten more dense.  Looking at a beach cam right now, it’s as packed as it would be on a Summer day.   I’m not part of the problem.. I’m a Grandmaster at Social Distancing....  I just can’t afford to live off the grid just yet. lol 

Nuitangg

« Reply #3011 on: March 19, 2020, 04:33:14 PM »
Pandemic on Netflix is pretty good.

Bebpo

« Reply #3013 on: March 19, 2020, 04:56:07 PM »
What I'm wondering, is what happens to everyone pregnant? I have a friend whose supposed to have a kid in a month or two.
Unlike other procedures, you can't really delay when to pop a kid out.

If the hospitals are overloaded, what's going to happen to all the childbirths?

bluemax

« Reply #3014 on: March 19, 2020, 04:57:01 PM »
So the schools in the UK are being shut down tomorrow. I'm predicting by Monday, as I commute to work, I will see kids in groups hanging out around the town treating it like a holiday. lol

That's what happened in Japan according to my brother. Everything he tells me makes it sound like it isn't being taken very seriously there.

Halp Elon!

Remember the last time Elon said he was gonna help with something? He called a qualified diver a paedo and his pod sub was late and useless.
NO

team filler

• filler
  • filler

stufte

• Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior

team filler

• filler
  • filler

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #3019 on: March 19, 2020, 05:09:53 PM »
https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1240529197292032001

Oh shit, is that why he murdered his wife?

It's reasonable it could have been a motive for whoever killed his wife, yes. Who wouldn't get homicidal over no golf ?
ὕβρις

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #3020 on: March 19, 2020, 05:11:19 PM »
What are people doing for funerals in this time? I don't know anyone in my personal life that has had to go to one, so I have no idea how they are handling this.

My mom was supposed to go to one earlier this week.

I told her great idea bunch of 60+ year olds together you can plan the next one while you are there. Sure the dead person would prefer no one else to die

She then decided not to go

team filler

• filler
  • filler

Svejk

« Reply #3022 on: March 19, 2020, 05:17:45 PM »
What I'm wondering, is what happens to everyone pregnant? I have a friend whose supposed to have a kid in a month or two.
Unlike other procedures, you can't really delay when to pop a kid out.

If the hospitals are overloaded, what's going to happen to all the childbirths?
I'd suggest getting a midwife and have a home birth.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #3023 on: March 19, 2020, 05:19:03 PM »
:lol

https://twitter.com/AsteadWesley/status/1240687053915828225
“Where we are right now feels a lot too close to Marshall Law for my comfort already, all in the name of a respiratory flu,” she wrote in response to a comment.
Tekken name-drop.  :respect

VomKriege

• Do the moron
ὕβρις

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #3026 on: March 19, 2020, 06:17:37 PM »
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 06:22:38 PM by Akala »

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #3027 on: March 19, 2020, 06:58:42 PM »
More French lockdown news :
A lot of beaches (on the Atlantic coast) have been closed to the public. Too many people chilling out on them.

City police have been extended the right to control people's certificate to circulate outside. In France, most of the policing is done by the National Police and Gendarmerie (which is technically MoD), city cops are auxiliary and secondary with narrow tasks.

The Defender of Rights (an independant position supposed to monitor some abuses) is calling for urgent measures to reduce overcrowding in prisons for the inmates safety. He's calling for resorting to more releases under parole and suspending sentences for people vulnerable to the disease. Outside visits have been suspended some days ago.

Town councils (for mayors reelected directly in the first round of elections) should be postponed.

Daily deaths and new cases are still higher than yesterday.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #3028 on: March 19, 2020, 07:28:46 PM »

You'll never guess.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
It's not "bad" but not a ton more informed than anything you'll read here or in any similar thread populated by laymen.

The more you learn about testing, the clearer it gets that it varies a ton from country to country and that the positive case numbers, while reflective of a situation and comparable trends, isn't super useful at this point. Especially since testing capacity is still ramping up, especially in the US.

He's for example already trying to say that Washington state seems to be trending more positively and had a better response than NY when we're still very much at the onset of the crisis, barely a few days in as far as statistical data is concerned. I guess we're all looking for any good news or trends ASAP but it's too early to tell.
[close]
ὕβρις

Himu

« Reply #3029 on: March 19, 2020, 07:29:59 PM »
Brehs, what is wrong with Americans? I been following coronavirus since December-January and been prepared, had some money saved up just in case. My mom is telling me she's just now going to the store to get food stocked. Why did it take Americans months to prepare for this? What is wrong with this country and its citizenry?
IYKYK

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #3030 on: March 19, 2020, 07:34:55 PM »
Brehs, what is wrong with Americans? I been following coronavirus since December-January and been prepared, had some money saved up just in case. My mom is telling me she's just now going to the store to get food stocked. Why did it take Americans months to prepare for this? What is wrong with this country and its citizenry?

Same thing than in Europe. Mixed messages from authorities, lack of preparation on the macro level. People being a bit dismissive of the danger (not casting stones, I guess I was). It only gets real when people start to die in great numbers.
ὕβρις

Leadbelly

« Reply #3031 on: March 19, 2020, 07:36:32 PM »
https://twitter.com/thehotboybarb/status/1240402850896846851

The banging on the window and screaming really makes it. The screaming has that haunting quality like in Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

Nuitangg

« Reply #3032 on: March 19, 2020, 07:39:34 PM »
Idiots panic buying didn't really help.

Himu

« Reply #3033 on: March 19, 2020, 07:51:41 PM »

Same thing than in Europe. Mixed messages from authorities, lack of preparation on the macro level. People being a bit dismissive of the danger (not casting stones, I guess I was). It only gets real when people start to die in great numbers.

I don't understand why people didn't start to take it seriously as soon as China literally locked down a city to stop it and it continued to spread all over the country anyways.

I guess it's a human problem and less than an American one but then I look at how South Korea and Japan responded by literally immediately closing schools down a month ago and here Americans are just now stocking up.

It's baffling to me.

I started to prepare when Japan closed down schools, personally.
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3034 on: March 19, 2020, 07:57:03 PM »
There's now officially more deaths in Italy [3,405] than in China [3,130], though I wouldn't necessarily take the Chinese numbers at face value.
dog

Leadbelly

« Reply #3035 on: March 19, 2020, 08:00:21 PM »
So the schools in the UK are being shut down tomorrow. I'm predicting by Monday, as I commute to work, I will see kids in groups hanging out around the town treating it like a holiday. lol

I mean it's hard to explain to kids. In the aggregate it's not great but it's probably better to have small groups of kids than a massive concentrated gathering in a school even if the virus is running.

Yeah, maybe. At the same time it sort of defeats the purpose a little though. We'll see what they do, but I would be surprised if I didn't see any kids hanging out.

Also I'm realising more and more that this is going to change the world in a serious way. I really don't know what the world is going to look like at the end of this. Never have I felt more like I am witnessing a very significant moment in history. Years to come kids will be reading about it in school in history books. I guess how significant this moment is will depend on how well we deal with it. Unfortunately it is usually the worst case scenario that gets remembered most. We don't yet know which it is going to be.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 08:07:17 PM by Leadbelly »

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #3036 on: March 19, 2020, 08:15:19 PM »
corona-aesthetic is shaping up to be something
coronawave, coronapunk

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #3037 on: March 19, 2020, 08:21:13 PM »

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #3038 on: March 19, 2020, 08:22:27 PM »
https://twitter.com/passantino/status/1240754714213376000

:corona_mj

Okay wow, I thought all these lockdown procedures would limit it to like 10% of the population for the rest of the year. I had nothing to base that on other than just feeling that we must be completely containing it with all the restrictions. If 50% are infected in 8 weeks, that would mean hundreds of thousands could be in serious condition and need hospitalization.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3039 on: March 19, 2020, 08:34:49 PM »
The US response to this could've been better but they did close the border with China very early.
I'm seeing reports and hearing from people that they had sudden symptoms(sore throat but no flu etc.) way earlier in like January or December 2019 before COVID-19 was first reported about.

Soon the curve either flattens with the measures taken and most people get a mild 3 - 5 day flu-like sickbed or the world will look like this
🤴

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #3040 on: March 19, 2020, 08:38:23 PM »

I mean it's hard to explain to kids. In the aggregate it's not great but it's probably better to have small groups of kids than a massive concentrated gathering in a school even if the virus is running.

Yeah, maybe. At the same time it sort of defeats the purpose a little though. We'll see what they do, but I would be surprised if I didn't see any kids hanging out.

I've read from numerous medical experts of different nationalities that the aim of current lockdowns is to reduce social interactions by 70-75% to slow the infections. Even if a kid is playing with a group of 15 neighbourhood friends that's already cutting a lot into the potential number of people he might interact with at school.

That's why I'm a bit peeved by the outrageous reactions (media/social media/internet) because there's a photo of 15 people in a park. I understand why you can't let it slip and police / authorities don't want to give an inch, but closing restaurants-bars-most shops-schools-funerals-religious, sporting & cultural events is already a bit of a nuclear bomb.

I haven't kept an accurate count but I can believe the number of people I'm in "proximity" with in a day has been cut by 3, 4 or 5 and that's with me having to go to work and take public transportation.
ὕβρις

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3041 on: March 19, 2020, 08:40:39 PM »
I've basically been around 6 people this week. And might see 2 friends during the weekend, bringing the total to 8.

So weird  :doge
🤴

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #3042 on: March 19, 2020, 08:44:33 PM »
https://twitter.com/passantino/status/1240754714213376000

:corona_mj

Okay wow, I thought all these lockdown procedures would limit it to like 10% of the population for the rest of the year. I had nothing to base that on other than just feeling that we must be completely containing it with all the restrictions. If 50% are infected in 8 weeks, that would mean hundreds of thousands could be in serious condition and need hospitalization.

That's maybe a maximalist, pessimistic projection put there to force the federal hand. It seems impossible to have a real idea how far the virus already is with the amount of testing done at this point.
ὕβρις

team filler

• filler
  • filler

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #3044 on: March 19, 2020, 08:55:57 PM »
The COO of one of our big supermarket chains said that their sales for the last three weeks have been the equivalent of the week leading into Christmas. There is plenty of stock, but it is a distribution problem and a shelf stocking problem.

STOP. FUCKING. PANIC. BUYING. YOU. DUMB. CUNTS.
Spud

Bebpo

« Reply #3045 on: March 19, 2020, 09:01:44 PM »
I'm trying to figure out when to go for the next supply run. I'm good for like another week or two, but don't want to run into the timeframe where everyone else that hoarded needs to restock and it's terrible again.

Leadbelly

« Reply #3046 on: March 19, 2020, 09:01:46 PM »

I've read from numerous medical experts of different nationalities that the aim of current lockdowns is to reduce social interactions by 70-75% to slow the infections. Even if a kid is playing with a group of 15 neighbourhood friends that's already cutting a lot into the potential number of people he might interact with at school.

That's why I'm a bit peeved by the outrageous reactions (media/social media/internet) because there's a photo of 15 people in a park. I understand why you can't let it slip and police / authorities don't want to give an inch, but closing restaurants-bars-most shops-schools-funerals-religious, sporting & cultural events is already a bit of a nuclear bomb.

I haven't kept an accurate count but I can believe the number of people I'm in "proximity" with in a day has been cut by 3, 4 or 5 and that's with me having to go to work and take public transportation.

I understand that it will be very difficult to keep kids from hanging out. What kid wants to be stuck inside. When I was a kid, having to stay indoors was done as punishment when I had done something wrong (lol). So yeah, I get that. And I also acknowledge that in some sense hanging out in groups is better than being exposed to hundreds of kids in school every day. I guess the one thing that will bother me a bit, is where they are hanging out. Around town. An area where many already congregate.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #3047 on: March 19, 2020, 09:04:02 PM »
Really hope there’s a shelter in place order in Oregon, clackamas county, or nationally by Monday. I do not want to go to work but I don’t want to blow through any more vacation.

We’re doing well in our little quarantine though, got badminton set up in the back yard, step son did some archery, lots of vidya

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #3048 on: March 19, 2020, 09:12:03 PM »
Most things I have read on US supply chain are relatively soothing. TP will be dicey for a few weeks, but there will be a point where people won't buy more than the year's worth of toilet paper they've already hoarded.

Main things that will go away for a while are likely to be specialty imports, fruits, veggies, etc.

Biggest issue just now (aside from obesity) is med supplies, most n95 masks are being held by idiots.

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #3049 on: March 19, 2020, 09:15:10 PM »

We had past pandemics that didn’t spread like this. So people thought this one would be like H1N1, Ebola, sars, etc

Leadbelly

« Reply #3050 on: March 19, 2020, 09:22:35 PM »

We had past pandemics that didn’t spread like this. So people thought this one would be like H1N1, Ebola, sars, etc

Yeah. I think many people including myself didn't think it would reach them. The other thing, on the surface it sounded less threatening. It only really killed the elderly with underlying conditions. Like the flu then. People didn't grasp exactly how infectious this thing was going to be, or quite what 1-2% would mean in that context. Even though the mortality rate is quite a lot higher than your typical seasonal flu, it still didn't seem that threatening. It's the spread that makes that figure really threatening, and realising there is no vaccine to actually control it. It seems just breathing is enough to infect someone. That said the 1-2% figure may still be a little bit too high anyway.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #3053 on: March 19, 2020, 10:02:07 PM »
prayers up for my cali niccas

https://twitter.com/LeilaFadel/status/1240817469557583872

its probably best we don't even have florida estimates...i don't wanna know  :lol :(

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #3054 on: March 19, 2020, 10:02:29 PM »
"Shelter in place" orders given here in Sactown. Luckily they are movement for private gatherings of less than 6 people. So not complete isolation.
Work is still unknown. Radio silence on that front.
que

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night

bluemax

« Reply #3056 on: March 19, 2020, 10:11:49 PM »
NO

bluemax

NO

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #3058 on: March 19, 2020, 11:10:10 PM »
https://business.financialpost.com/financial-times/do-i-quarantine-in-the-hamptons-the-rich-flee-on-private-jets-seek-expensive-concierge-medical-services

As coronavirus spreads through New York City, Dr Kruger is in fact doing a roaring trade. “This last month has just been insane,” he said. “I’m getting 75 calls a day, asking: ‘Do I quarantine myself in the Hamptons? Do I stay in the city?’”

The wealthiest Americans may separate themselves through concierge healthcare services like the one operated by Dr Kruger. They can provide instant access to primary care physicians in luxurious settings and, he claims, a test for coronavirus — although not one using one of the government’s officially-authorised kits. Not unlike private jets, they may also allow the wealthy to bypass crowded emergency rooms and so reduce their risk of infection.

But once they are sick, it is not clear that such services will spare them from the same public health maths to which everyone else is now subject. (The equation might be even worse in a place like Aspen, which is now suffering its own outbreak but has limited healthcare facilities.)

At that point, patients will require hospitalisation in an intensive care unit, and possibly a ventilator to help them breathe. With the rarest of exceptions in America, that is still determined by medical need. “Once you are sick and in the hospital,” said Dr Blumenthal, “whether you have concierge medicine or not is not relevant.” Given the shortages of hospital beds and medical equipment being forecast by authorities, money may not much matter.

“You can’t find . . . ventilators no matter how much you’re willing to pay right now,” said Andrew Cuomo, the New York governor.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 11:15:13 PM by OnlyRegret »

bluemax

NO