Author Topic: Corona Thread |OT| Nu variant, who dis?  (Read 1081721 times)

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
Re: Corona Thread |OT| Money-printer goes BRRRR
« Reply #3240 on: March 20, 2020, 10:31:32 PM »
My mom seems to be pretty happy not being used as a built-in baby sitter/cook for a bunch of kids.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #3241 on: March 20, 2020, 10:34:49 PM »
My mom seems to be pretty happy not being used as a built-in baby sitter/cook for a bunch of kids.
My mom wouldn't eat if it wasn't for me looking after her.  ::)

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #3242 on: March 20, 2020, 10:45:20 PM »
How is your throat James?

Felt much better today. Not 100% but a significant improvement

The smoothies are working

:rejoice

How's yours?
:O

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #3243 on: March 20, 2020, 10:48:03 PM »
The one silver lining between the Italy and America comparisons is that their old often still live in multi-generational homes, whereas ours live independently or in assisted care. Much easier to reduce contact points.
The silver lining is that we discard our senior citizens somewhere we can't see them :tocry

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #3244 on: March 20, 2020, 10:51:09 PM »
How is your throat James?

Felt much better today. Not 100% but a significant improvement

The smoothies are working

How's yours?

Haven’t had any complaints

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #3245 on: March 20, 2020, 10:56:41 PM »

Lonewulfeus

• Former Unofficial Ambassador to ResetEra
« Reply #3246 on: March 20, 2020, 10:57:29 PM »

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #3247 on: March 20, 2020, 10:58:28 PM »

Himu

« Reply #3248 on: March 20, 2020, 11:08:18 PM »
Ended up going to work. Felt much better after sitting outside on the balcony for some fresh air.

Guess staying inside all day is too stuffy for me.
IYKYK

team filler

• filler
  • filler

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #3250 on: March 20, 2020, 11:34:17 PM »
This woman is making us do remote conferencing for our classes now :shaq2

just let everyone take a vacation while the country falls apart, damn!
每天生气

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
fat

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #3252 on: March 21, 2020, 12:38:50 AM »
United airlines has given up on international routes.

95 percent cut by Wednesday.  If you're somewhere and you need to be somewhere else you're running out of time
:O

shosta

« Reply #3253 on: March 21, 2020, 12:42:42 AM »
I'm going to wake up tomorrow and have it... I just know it.
每天生气

team filler

• filler
  • filler

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #3256 on: March 21, 2020, 01:34:13 AM »
Anyone around NYC?
City seems like it is gonna get utterly battered the next week.

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
« Reply #3257 on: March 21, 2020, 02:02:22 AM »
My life hasn’t changed too much. Obviously I don’t go out unless it’s absolutely necessary, but I’m really more of a homebody anyway. Work has implemented mandatory WFH, which I actually like. And I’m not really at risk of losing my job at all. Despite all of this, I’m filled with constant dread.

I don’t know if I can handle months of this. If someone intelligent would just come and say “it’ll probably be x months before things go back to normal” then I think I would be okay, but the uncertainty of the situation (which only seems to get worse every few days) is absolutely terrifying to me. I’m losing my fucking mind.

:existential

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #3258 on: March 21, 2020, 02:03:30 AM »
After this I need to take a break from reading about da rona, or I'm gonna go crazy.
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/times-watchdog/coronavirus-spread-in-a-kirkland-nursing-home-for-weeks-while-response-stalled/

Considering incubation time and barely symptomatic spread, the US outbreaks were for sure building possibly back in January. Hitting a nursing home revealed the growing spread.
The US should've been prepping for the possibility by February's start!

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #3259 on: March 21, 2020, 03:35:39 AM »
man i mostly checked out about a month ago, it feels good man. step away, you've done your job

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #3260 on: March 21, 2020, 04:24:08 AM »
Yea, I hit my saturation point earlier today. At some point you’re not learning or gaining new information, you’re just rolling around in a vat of misery and worry.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #3261 on: March 21, 2020, 05:04:04 AM »
It's gonna be long weeks of boredom, anxiety and depressing statistics probably. It's probably not useful to be 24/7 swimming in it.
ὕβρις

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #3262 on: March 21, 2020, 05:54:20 AM »
Just stay at home, see if there is some news once a day max. Otherwise you will go crazy. This will last a few more months.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #3263 on: March 21, 2020, 06:15:31 AM »
I'm not too worried. I think to myself, "yeah I gotta take some precautions but I'm still able to get Starbucks and Amazon delivered Doom on time. So it can't be all bad".

Which I think is true. There is some discomfort, but nothing that's not manageable. There's been some changes, but still plenty of luxuries.

At work they are getting very serious about gloves and mask use which is fine. Lots of changes to how we set-up the medical equipment. Which is fine. There is nothing wrong with being safe and people appreciate it. My job with respiratory equipment is obviously going to be affected, but I'm happy that employment wise I'll be fine. Honestly, this whole job,recent events, and the fact that I get a lot of enjoyment from helping people has made me think about becoming a nurse.

But IL is about to get more rigid with it's stay at home order. I mean, I like being at home and I do not mind putting my social life on hold if it saves lives. Can still connect with friends thanks to the phone, internet, and video games. So far food is'nt an issue. Also for all those idiots hoarding toilet paper, fuck you I can just get the ultra soft Kleenex. Either way will I still be able to get my Starbucks? I don't know. Guess I'll just have to visit the grocery store and see what other decent food and shit I can get.

I hope things get better obviously and I no doubt feel they will. But until then staying safe and keeping your head up does not seem impossible.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #3264 on: March 21, 2020, 07:14:59 AM »
Also phone your relatives, rekindle old friendships that became estranged, use our modern tools to reconnect to people you like. I'm sure most everyone will appreciate and return the favour.
ὕβρις

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3265 on: March 21, 2020, 09:45:37 AM »
https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/16/firm-refuses-give-blueprint-coronavirus-equipment-save-lives-12403815/

Some Italians are 3D printing hard to find medical devices for $1  :rejoice
🤴

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
« Reply #3266 on: March 21, 2020, 10:01:44 AM »
https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/16/firm-refuses-give-blueprint-coronavirus-equipment-save-lives-12403815/

I just hope the Italian gov protect the guys printing as they're about to get fucked in court over this.

Working from home has been quite the adjustment for me, it's fine and I'm able to do my job luckily, but jeez is it depressing just being sat in an office with no real human interaction.

My partner on the other hand does fitness classes which have all been cancelled now as gyms have shut so she is panicking about things as she's self employed and there's not really been any real help for her yet. Just got to ride this out really, we're also buying a house atm and planning a wedding so it's pretty scary times ahead for us, just hope we don't lose everything.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3267 on: March 21, 2020, 10:03:27 AM »

I just hope the italian gov protect the guys printing as they're about to get fucked in court over this.
The court thing turned out to be fake news. The company subsidiary in Italy just couldn't give them the blue print for 'legal' reasons so they had to reverse engineer it on their own.
There was never any threat of a lawsuit.
🤴

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
« Reply #3268 on: March 21, 2020, 10:05:47 AM »

I just hope the italian gov protect the guys printing as they're about to get fucked in court over this.
The court thing turned out to be fake news. The company subsidiary in Italy just couldn't give them the blue print for 'legal' reasons so they had to reverse engineer it on their own.
There was never any threat of a lawsuit.

that's good news then.

nudemacusers

« Reply #3269 on: March 21, 2020, 10:11:32 AM »
Had to buy my sale items without coronabux.  :-\
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3270 on: March 21, 2020, 10:40:00 AM »
🤴

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #3271 on: March 21, 2020, 10:46:19 AM »
I'm sorta stuck in a catch-22. Learning as much as I can about what worries me helps with my anxiety. But at some point it becomes overload and I have no warning I'm getting there.
que

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3272 on: March 21, 2020, 10:56:20 AM »
Latest number here is 30 deaths, same as yesterday.
Most aged 81 - 84, youngest 63.

Infections up 600 (500 yesterday)

It seems to stabilize somewhat.

Also seeing a lot of stuff like this worldwide
https://twitter.com/strangeharbors/status/1241057919128526856
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 11:03:44 AM by Nintex »
🤴

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #3273 on: March 21, 2020, 11:04:06 AM »
Tests for this combo are being extended in France and rumors (but unsourced, a lot of crazy tales are gonna come out about what is happening in hospitals) that some physicians are already trying that without official backing. But I imagine it's gonna be at least a couple more weeks before we get any real feedback.

There's also a lot of suspicion leveraged at China but their doctors aren't less qualified & concerned, they've been testing a lot of existing treatments with a couple of months more time, I'd imagine if this was a cheap easy fix (which hydrochloroquin is AFAIK) this would be more common knowledge (not a doctor, maybe someone is actually following the medical data the PRC is sharing).
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 12:55:13 PM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3274 on: March 21, 2020, 11:05:58 AM »
I'm sorta stuck in a catch-22. Learning as much as I can about what worries me helps with my anxiety. But at some point it becomes overload and I have no warning I'm getting there.

I heard someone on the CBC say to only look at news at specific times of the day for a specific amount of time.  I'm at the point where I am informed enough so I only watch the news now for the PMs address.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3275 on: March 21, 2020, 11:12:01 AM »
Our new health minister secured 700k masks  :bowsette

https://twitter.com/hugodejonge/status/1241306347246845953

He also secured 2.5 million litres of material needed to create desinfectant from Shell which would guarantee supply for 6 months
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 11:18:20 AM by Nintex »
🤴

Coffee Dog

« Reply #3276 on: March 21, 2020, 11:18:58 AM »
I'm mostly past poring over all the corona news as well. It just doesn't make much difference to me right now; I followed the federal response, and I followed the state response, all news past that is misery. And I'm not willing to load up on misery just yet when there's too much hitting the fan next few weeks.  :-\

Propagandhim

« Reply #3277 on: March 21, 2020, 11:25:45 AM »
At least drugs are approved fast  :idont

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1241367245143642113

This is so irresponsible.  Forget the fact that there's no data on its efficacy for corona, these medications are already approved and in the wild and can be taken off-label.  All this will do is have thousands of people call their doctor demanding a prescription for these drugs.  When doctors won't do it, people are going to think their healthcare professionals have some sort of agenda because the president of the United fucking States is endorsing these medications ("I hope they're put to use immediately").   This guy can't do anything right for one fucking day and he makes every expert's job that much harder.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3278 on: March 21, 2020, 11:27:12 AM »
What's the chance he or people he knows owns stock in the companies that make those?

Ghoul

« Reply #3279 on: March 21, 2020, 11:28:31 AM »
What's the chance he or people he knows owns stock in the companies that make those?

Pretty high. I'm fucking sick of my iPhone constantly shooting out breaking news alerts about this, I know it's scary, I know the shops have fuck all, just let me browse some twitter memes in peace.

Propagandhim

« Reply #3280 on: March 21, 2020, 11:33:19 AM »

I don't even think this is strategic avariciousness on his part - I just think he's an impulsive idiot that doesn't understand the measured nature of healthcare or, even more generally, the scientific method.  It's like the guy in the Youtube comments that heard from a friend that colloidal silver cures cancer and that's enough to energize him for hours arguing about Big Pharma.   This medication could very well work for Corona, but all the activity involved with figuring that out is outside his control and conceptual understanding anyway.  He needs to just shut up until some real evidence shows up.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 11:37:54 AM by Propagandhim »

shosta

每天生气

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #3282 on: March 21, 2020, 12:02:29 PM »
Adults need to take over. He is making this worse than it needs to be.

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night

Propagandhim

« Reply #3284 on: March 21, 2020, 12:12:02 PM »
https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1241154510648676353

Does not bode well for the immune system belonging to a man that can't do a single pushup.

Looks like a field spaniel hocking up hairballs

who is ted danson?

• ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀✋💎✋🤬
« Reply #3285 on: March 21, 2020, 12:13:23 PM »
 :drudge
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #3286 on: March 21, 2020, 12:23:18 PM »
went on a hike this morning and the trails were empty as fuck :rejoice

now i have my fill of the outdoors and can go back inside for another week :mynicca

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #3287 on: March 21, 2020, 12:30:43 PM »
Anyone around NYC?
City seems like it is gonna get utterly battered the next week.

I'm from the burbs and my brother is at the heart of the action (he's an infectious diseases doctor at one of the largest hospitals). Right now 10k cases confirmed across NYS. He says by Tuesday will have the kits needed to go from 90 tests a day to 2k tests.
^_^

Ghoul

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3289 on: March 21, 2020, 12:36:01 PM »
🤴

Propagandhim

« Reply #3292 on: March 21, 2020, 12:51:35 PM »
lol Trump now retweeting random people posting that French study that his own CDC doctors are saying has severe methodological issues.  Time to get off the internet.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #3293 on: March 21, 2020, 12:52:10 PM »
French Minister of Health says the "test strategy will evolve" in France.
I'm repeating myself but all of it screams "We're doing damage control for our unpreparedness and holding until we have the material means to manage this better".

The Government Spokesperson's argument on TV yesterday was "Well not everyone know how to use a mask properly", which is another level of gaslighting in the whole supply fiasco. There's ads everywhere on what common sense guidelines you should follow about washing hands and keeping a meter apart, surely it's not that hard to educate the public on how to wear them.
ὕβρις

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3294 on: March 21, 2020, 12:53:40 PM »
lol Trump now retweeting random people posting that French study that his own CDC doctors are saying has severe methodological issues.  Time to get off the internet.
I would completely trust the owner of this millenial social media company when it comes to medical advice.   :lol

http://yukosocial.com/

Based on a recommendation from Elon Musk no less
https://twitter.com/MichaelCoudrey/status/1240181383110094848

And the guy has a beef with China, Clinton and Dr. Fauci

https://twitter.com/MichaelCoudrey/status/1241099523021103104

« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 12:57:49 PM by Nintex »
🤴

Propagandhim

« Reply #3295 on: March 21, 2020, 12:59:53 PM »
It's not even about the efficacy of the drug, the potential of the drugs, the faults of the study, or whateverthefuck.  It's about being discerning enough as a leader to shut up about monumentally consequential information until experts have confirmed and made conclusive statements about it.   He doesn't seem to grasp what he's doing.  If he keeps 'endorsing' this drug, it turns out to be ineffective, then all these people are going to scream at the doctors and scientists. 
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 01:20:10 PM by Propagandhim »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3296 on: March 21, 2020, 01:01:02 PM »
The FDA approval process for new treatments is basically this
- Elon Musk brainfart -> Internet 'research' -> Clinton hating 'activist' retweets -> FDA Approval
🤴

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩

shosta

« Reply #3298 on: March 21, 2020, 01:08:27 PM »
President Xi, please. Every day we are surveilled by the totalitarian state. Next they will be locking us into our apartments to contain the spread of the plague.

https://twitter.com/ericgarland/status/1241114334933155840
CNN one month ago: China's massive security state is being used to crack down on the Wuhan virus

As Chinese authorities struggle to contain the deadly Wuhan coronavirus, they are turning to a sophisticated authoritarian playbook honed over decades of crackdowns on dissidents and undesirables to enforce quarantines and lockdowns across the country.

This has been accompanied by a shift in the narrative around the virus. It has moved from a story of an entire country pulling together in a time of crisis to a darker tale of bad actors undermining efforts to keep people safe and spreading the virus through their own irresponsibility.

Critics argue that this also serves to obfuscate myriad failures by the state as a whole, instead putting the blame on individual citizens and the occasional bad apple of an official.

Police in China are far better equipped for a crackdown in 2020 than they would have been in previous years, thanks to a vast surveillance panopticon that the state has built up nationwide, but previously not used to tackle something of this scale.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
https://twitter.com/ChristineSeidm3/status/1224761868935405573

everyday I thank Jesus for the second amendment!
[close]
每天生气

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #3299 on: March 21, 2020, 01:51:26 PM »
Time to get off the internet.

IMMEDIATELY. PEOPLE ARE DYING, MOVE FAST, and GOD BLESS EVERYONE!
©@©™