Author Topic: Corona Thread |OT| Nu variant, who dis?  (Read 1081752 times)

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
Re: Corona Thread |OT| Money-printer goes BRRRR
« Reply #3360 on: March 21, 2020, 08:44:56 PM »
Getting take out food for the first time in forever

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night

Bebpo

« Reply #3362 on: March 21, 2020, 09:26:43 PM »
Can someone explain to me why Distilled water keeps selling out before bottled/regular water? That's the one item (and peanut butter) that I haven't been able to find in the last week or two.
People know what distilled water is, right? They're not buying it thinking it's better drinking water or something?

I use distilled water for netipot nose rinses and for my humidifier. I've just stopped doing rinses completely until I can get some more distilled water. I know I can boil my own distilled water and I may end up doing that.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #3363 on: March 21, 2020, 09:44:33 PM »
i assumed it was people using it for cpap machines wanting to keep a stock in case shit hits the fan

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
每天生气

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3365 on: March 21, 2020, 09:52:46 PM »
Yeah, people keep talking about ghost towns but when I drive in my city every parking lot is like 3/4th filled and traffic is almost normal. I'm thinking most are people going to markets/pharmacies/food, but idk.

That's one positive about this situation around here- there has been a noticeable drop-off in traffic.  Left the house yesterday during what is normally rush hour and there was no traffic whatsoever.
 :aah
ど助平

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!

thisismyusername

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #3368 on: March 21, 2020, 10:26:30 PM »
©@©™

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #3369 on: March 21, 2020, 10:37:08 PM »
Found riotous's test results

Spud

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #3370 on: March 21, 2020, 11:17:52 PM »
Just read a rather bleak article about the situation here.

3/4 of those that died never made it to the ICU.
The treatment apparently is a very big strain on the body so many old people decided not to go through with it after hearing what treatment would entail and the low chances of survival.
They choose quarantine in their own homes and passed away. Those are mostly people in the 80+ age bracket.
Mostly much younger patients(20 - 40) with another condition or younger people in general(50+) went to the ICU.

Next week we'll hit the peak of patients in the ICU. After that the numbers 'must' come down.

Today was a pretty nice day, the sun was out so many people went to parks, beaches, forests etc. . Basically 'anything' still open.
The politicians are pretty pissed at people for doing that. Because it just increases the likely hood of a lockdown.
Then maybe they should stop changing their mind every other hour.
This is especially true of the "herd immunity" geniuses, but also countries like Italy that started with minimizing and downplaying the hit of this thing (and i'll cut some slack because we at least were only the second hit by this outside of China).
You can't tell people it's not a big deal for weeks, and then turn around and be mad with them if they don't treat it like the pandemic crisis it iturns out to be.

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #3371 on: March 21, 2020, 11:23:40 PM »
It would be interesting to see how the us would react if dengue was around up here.

That shit is spread by mosquitos. Can't social distance in the park because that's where the fuckers live
:O

Bebpo

« Reply #3372 on: March 21, 2020, 11:24:00 PM »
Was thinking about the world going forward after this.

Whenever a new virus/flu appears on the news somewhere in the world (which is like once a year), people are gonna rush the supermarkets and hoard everything and freak out because of COVID PTSD.

thisismyusername

« Reply #3373 on: March 21, 2020, 11:29:17 PM »

Whenever a new virus/flu appears on the news somewhere in the world (which is like once a year), people are gonna rush the supermarkets and hoard everything and freak out because of COVID PTSD.

People didn't really do it with SARS. It has to actually spread fast/hard like this did to make people panic.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #3374 on: March 21, 2020, 11:33:16 PM »

I hope it'll lead to better preparedness on a logistical, global basis.

If i think about "world ending events" beyond a meteor strike, and super volcano eruption, i really can't think of anything else other than a pandemic which, given the rate we're getting out breaks (what, one every decade or more?) it's just a matter of time before a really bad combination of factors come together to fuck up half the world's population (COVID is not that lethal, but it could've been/ SARS didn't spread as fast, but it could have).
I think it definitely should be at the top of the list.

Leadbelly

« Reply #3375 on: March 21, 2020, 11:39:56 PM »
Being too lethal is what stops it from spreading too fast. It doesn't have a chance of spreading because it kills its host too fast.

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #3376 on: March 21, 2020, 11:44:23 PM »
Being too lethal is what stops it from spreading too fast. It doesn't have a chance of spreading because it kills its host too fast.

Black Death

Leadbelly

« Reply #3377 on: March 21, 2020, 11:48:43 PM »
It is interesting though how serious we consider this particular virus. A big part of that obviously is because it affects us. However, I was reading about tuberculosis recently. It infected 10 million people back in 2018 and killed 1.5 million people. No one even batted an eyelid really. Now if this virus achieved similar figures, it would be viewed so differently.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 11:53:37 PM by Leadbelly »

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #3378 on: March 21, 2020, 11:49:04 PM »

If i think about "world ending events" beyond a meteor strike, and super volcano eruption, i really can't think of anything else other than a pandemic which, given the rate we're getting out breaks (what, one every decade or more?) it's just a matter of time before a really bad combination of factors come together to fuck up half the world's population (COVID is not that lethal, but it could've been/ SARS didn't spread as fast, but it could have).

Gamma Ray Burst
Nuclear War
Carrington Event 2

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #3379 on: March 21, 2020, 11:50:28 PM »
Yes it was a factor, especially in governments and people not taking it as seriously, but long incubation + asymptomatic spread does that just fine.
You can imagine a virus incubating but spreading for 1 or 2 weeks, and then breaking out and killing people with more efficacy than this.
Especially if it affects a more socially critical age group (like the Spanish Flu did, killing mostly people between 20 and 40) by turning people's strong immune systems against them.

Leadbelly

« Reply #3380 on: March 21, 2020, 11:52:16 PM »

Black Death

H1N1 is super lethal. It doesn't actually kill that many people worldwide though because it never really gets the chance to spread. it is easy to stop the spread exactly because it is so lethal.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #3381 on: March 21, 2020, 11:56:15 PM »

Gamma Ray Burst
Nuclear War
Carrington Event 2
Nuclear War is something completely man made so of course i wasn't counting that (kind of like AI singularity many worry about or global warming), and gamma ray bursts, as i understood it, we should be relatively safe for several million years, given our stellar neighbourhood.

I'm not sure if there's anything at all to be done against solar bursts though, yeah.
I know there are ways to deflect meteorites, if detected early enough, and there are clearly ways to prevent against pandemics.
And of course if yellowsotne does pop, not much you can do about that either, i guess.

Leadbelly

« Reply #3382 on: March 21, 2020, 11:58:35 PM »
Yes it was a factor, especially in governments and people not taking it as seriously, but long incubation + asymptomatic spread does that just fine.
You can imagine a virus incubating but spreading for 1 or 2 weeks, and then breaking out and killing people with more efficacy than this.
Especially if it affects a more socially critical age group (like the Spanish Flu did, killing mostly people between 20 and 40) by turning people's strong immune systems against them.

I guess so, if it is able to spread before people show symptoms.

shosta

« Reply #3383 on: March 22, 2020, 12:00:10 AM »
H1N1 is super lethal. It doesn't actually kill that many people worldwide though because it never really gets the chance to spread. it is easy to stop the spread exactly because it is so lethal.
H1N1 had a mortality rate in the US of 0.02%. Maybe you're thinking of SARS.
每天生气

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #3384 on: March 22, 2020, 12:03:40 AM »
Nuclear War is something completely man made so of course i wasn't counting that (kind of like AI singularity many worry about or global warming), and gamma ray bursts, as i understood it, we should be relatively safe for several million years, given our stellar neighbourhood.

I'm not sure if there's anything at all to be done against solar bursts though, yeah.
I know there are ways to deflect meteorites, if detected early enough, and there are clearly ways to prevent against pandemics.
And of course if yellowsotne does pop, not much you can do about that either, i guess.

GRBs are entirely unpredictable, but very rare to effect earth. Historically, one ancient mass extinction was theorized to potentially be GRB-related but unprovable.
Meteor deflection would be entirely new ground though, no past experience to apply to it.

Shows that it can't be really be an engineered bioweapon. Not nearly effective enough.
A two week infectious cycle that goes unnoticed before triggering would be cataclysmic. No way to quarantine once patient zero is symptomatic.

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #3385 on: March 22, 2020, 12:04:13 AM »

He probably means bird flu but got his numbers fucky.

shosta

« Reply #3386 on: March 22, 2020, 12:05:47 AM »
"This isn't even as deadly as H1N1" is some factually wrong right wing brain poison that I have seen circulating at one point or another so it's possible but it's important to let people save face
每天生气

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #3387 on: March 22, 2020, 12:07:12 AM »
btw how are you doing in Italy, I've been avoiding reading any news today

Leadbelly

« Reply #3388 on: March 22, 2020, 12:09:11 AM »

I mean H5N1. Avian flu

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #3389 on: March 22, 2020, 12:09:37 AM »

GRBs are entirely unpredictable, but very rare to effect earth. Historically, one ancient mass extinction was theorized to potentially be GRB-related but unprovable.
Meteor deflection would be entirely new ground though, no past experience to apply to it.
Yeah, why i think it would at least be reasonable to keep a good space program going regardless of people thinking "what's it for?".
I mean in the Venn diagram of natural disaster that can kill us (near)all and things we can try and do something about, the list doesn't seem that massive.
But then again, you can argue pandemics are also man made, if you consider them to be a by-product of our social structure growing faster than our ability to control it.
It's hard to have pandemics as hunter/gatherers.  :doge

btw how are you doing in Italy, I've been avoiding reading any news today
Aside from the dead piling up (especially north) which is normal since the peak wasn't expected for another week at least, i guess people are just worried about the supply line starting to show some holes.
Personally a week back i stocked up enough to last me to around April 3rd, so i haven't had a reason to go shopping again, yet.

I'm personally "curious" to see how people will take it once they extend the lockdown part March and April.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 12:16:21 AM by Don Rumata »

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #3390 on: March 22, 2020, 12:14:20 AM »

Yeah, why i think it would at least be reasonable to keep a good space program going regardless of people thinking "what's it for?".
I mean in the Venn diagram of natural disaster that can kill us (near)all and things we can try and do something about, the list doesn't seem that massive.
But then again, you can argue pandemics are also man made, if you consider them to be a by-product of our social structure growing faster than our ability to control it.
It's hard to have pandemics as hunter/gatherers.  :doge

Definitely something to be concerned about, no way to whip up a solution as fast as well, most other problems.

Pandemics can be spread via animals too and cover a vast area. So no I can't agree.
Malaria is possibly the biggest killer of all in human history and definitely not manmade.

Leadbelly

« Reply #3391 on: March 22, 2020, 12:14:29 AM »
"This isn't even as deadly as H1N1" is some factually wrong right wing brain poison that I have seen circulating at one point or another so it's possible but it's important to let people save face

Let me show you an older post of mine. What do you think?

http://www.thebore.com/forum/index.php?topic=46908.msg2781630#msg2781630

Have I saved face enough for you?

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #3392 on: March 22, 2020, 12:16:19 AM »

Let me show you an older post of mine. What do you think?

http://www.thebore.com/forum/index.php?topic=46908.msg2781630#msg2781630

Have I saved face enough for you?

I think trying to save face in this discussion is more so losing face.  :girlaff

More importantly, you let me find this post
http://www.thebore.com/forum/index.php?topic=46908.msg2781699#msg2781699

shosta

« Reply #3393 on: March 22, 2020, 12:19:55 AM »
每天生气

team filler

• filler
  • filler

Leadbelly

« Reply #3395 on: March 22, 2020, 12:33:04 AM »
Anyway... this was the point I was making about more lethal viruses like H5N1

This was seen as a successful global response, and the virus was not seen again for years. In part, containment was possible because the disease was so severe: Those who got it became manifestly, extremely ill. H5N1 has a fatality rate of about 60 percent—if you get it, you’re likely to die. Yet since 2003, the virus has killed only 455 people. The much “milder” flu viruses, by contrast, kill fewer than 0.1 percent of people they infect, on average, but are responsible for hundreds of thousands of deaths every year.

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #3396 on: March 22, 2020, 01:35:17 AM »
god, I really do hope it is just a bad flu, for your guy's sake
shit is shaping up to go sideways 5 ways at this rate

shosta

« Reply #3397 on: March 22, 2020, 01:41:18 AM »
It's not a bad flu, it's a pulmonary infection with a hundred times the mortality rate of influenza. I've had acute bronchitis before and I have no intention of ever experiencing that ever again.
每天生气

kingv

« Reply #3398 on: March 22, 2020, 01:41:44 AM »
Shosta, please write that letter.

https://twitter.com/markmobility/status/1241420191411703809

Our healthcare system just totally fucking rocks.

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #3399 on: March 22, 2020, 01:45:35 AM »
It's not a bad flu, it's a pulmonary infection with a hundred times the mortality rate of influenza. I've had acute bronchitis before and I have no intention of ever experiencing that ever again.

I'm not saying it is, I'm just saying I wish it was for your healthcare system's sake.

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #3400 on: March 22, 2020, 02:21:08 AM »
on the subject of flus
reading about the spanish flu :whew
something like that would be apocalyptic

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #3403 on: March 22, 2020, 03:06:21 AM »
https://mobile.twitter.com/weeaboo/status/1241555854446518272

Guy looks like some pedophile who would front a math rock band while acting very elitist in interviews.

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
« Reply #3404 on: March 22, 2020, 03:58:49 AM »
Walked the doge yesterday and the only people out are old people.
Why can’t you fucks just stay inside? We’re social distancing to save you and you’re fucking about going to the shops to buy random shit. Knock it off.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #3405 on: March 22, 2020, 04:17:18 AM »
52 Cuban doctors and nurses dispatched to Lombardia.  :ussrcry
ὕβρις

Himu

« Reply #3406 on: March 22, 2020, 04:38:33 AM »
Just dropping by to encourage any Boreans that smoke to drop the habit immediately, atleast try for the time being.
Seems poor outcomes may also relate to smoking habits and not just age. Might explain why many youth are hospitalized when smoking/e-cigs have become fashionable.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/20/health/coronavirus-vaping-drugs/index.html

Stay safe!

What about weed
IYKYK

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
« Reply #3407 on: March 22, 2020, 04:53:36 AM »
Just dropping by to encourage any Boreans that smoke to drop the habit immediately, atleast try for the time being.
Seems poor outcomes may also relate to smoking habits and not just age. Might explain why many youth are hospitalized when smoking/e-cigs have become fashionable.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/20/health/coronavirus-vaping-drugs/index.html

Stay safe!

What about weed

Also included.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #3408 on: March 22, 2020, 04:54:01 AM »
Not to be "just a flu bro" about it but smoking is a potential aggravating factor / cause of disease in general so you know... Bed mades and all.

If I'm stuck at home I'll maybe try to slow my consumption down and make my nearly 10 euros packs last longer.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 05:28:44 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

Ghoul

« Reply #3409 on: March 22, 2020, 04:57:13 AM »
See I vape, working from home, social distancing if I was to also give up vaping I think I’d be truly more insufferable to live with, I will however try my best to cut down as much as possible. Problem is it is a boredom thing, and I’m plenty bored.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3410 on: March 22, 2020, 06:31:03 AM »
Government is sending out phone alerts to get people to stay inside on another sunny day.

Yesterday beaches and trains were crowded

This is a disaster in the making, fucking idiots  :lol

The government agency responsible for national parks and monuments has urged people to stay home as thousands flood their properties.  :picard
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 07:22:21 AM by Nintex »
🤴

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #3411 on: March 22, 2020, 07:19:23 AM »
That doesn't look like beach-friendly weather in the first place.  :doge

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3412 on: March 22, 2020, 07:22:25 AM »
Me buying a house in 2 months:

Me driving to work in 2 months:

That doesn't look like beach-friendly weather in the first place.  :doge
It's a Dutch concept called 'Uitwaaien' basically you head to the beach when the first spring sun appears and you enjoy the fresh air and the blowing winds.
Cold as fuck, so you keep on all your winter clothes  :yeshrug
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 07:27:02 AM by Nintex »
🤴

thisismyusername

« Reply #3413 on: March 22, 2020, 07:28:06 AM »
Why can’t you fucks just stay inside? We’re social distancing to save you and you’re fucking about going to the shops to buy random shit. Knock it off.

Let them go to death door's sooner in peace, Ghoul.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3414 on: March 22, 2020, 07:35:38 AM »
Railroad services and others now also flooding my phone with push messages:

"Stay home, stay home!"

As the crowds fill the streets.  :lol

Next week: "Can't believe we're being put into lockdown, fucking fascists"
🤴

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #3415 on: March 22, 2020, 07:38:15 AM »

If they didn't use hospitals resources, they may have a point.

Ghoul

« Reply #3416 on: March 22, 2020, 08:02:54 AM »

That's the issue, they'll just be taking up resources before they die like the selfish cunts they are.

Gonna attempt food shopping later for a Sunday roast and get a couple bottles of wine, that is my attempt to be normal today.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #3417 on: March 22, 2020, 08:07:32 AM »
Australia moving into shutdown mode.

Pubs, restaurants, gyms, clubs all closed from midday tomorrow. Schools stay open for now.
Spud

thisismyusername

« Reply #3418 on: March 22, 2020, 08:08:23 AM »

Solution: Don't hospitalize the old people. They're nearly dead already. Let them go.

Boomer Remover™ and all that.

Australia moving into shutdown mode.

Pubs, restaurants, gyms, clubs all closed from midday tomorrow. Schools stay open for now.

https://twitter.com/DirtyNeedles330/status/1091708939971031042

Propagandhim

« Reply #3419 on: March 22, 2020, 08:10:27 AM »
Do you guys, like, have people in your lives above the age of 60 that you care about?  I don't know, the elderly people in my life never struck me as a bunch of selfish, resource-hoarding cunts.  Maybe I got lucky.