Author Topic: Corona Thread |OT| Nu variant, who dis?  (Read 1081741 times)

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
Re: Corona Thread |OT| Money-printer goes BRRRR
« Reply #4620 on: March 30, 2020, 08:38:52 AM »
___

Coax

« Reply #4621 on: March 30, 2020, 08:40:36 AM »
Just an interesting detail, seems the UK removed Covid-19 from their list of high consequence infectious diseases recently, primarily due to it having a lower mortality rate than others on their HCID list, though it appears to still fit every other criteria of theirs. The original SARS remains classified as a HCID (which had almost a 10% mortality rate) as does MERS (30-40% mortality rate).

Quote from: gov.uk
As of 19 March 2020, COVID-19 is no longer considered to be a high consequence infectious diseases (HCID) in the UK. [...] They have determined that several features have now changed; in particular, more information is available about mortality rates (low overall) and there is now greater clinical awareness and a specific and sensitive laboratory test, the availability of which continues to increase.

The Advisory Committee on Dangerous Pathogens (ACDP) is also of the opinion that COVID-19 should no longer be classified as an HCID.[/url]

Further down the page...

Quote from: gov.uk
In the UK, a high consequence infectious disease (HCID) is defined according to the following criteria:

- acute infectious disease
- typically has a high case-fatality rate
- may not have effective prophylaxis or treatment
- often difficult to recognise and detect rapidly
- ability to spread in the community and within healthcare settings
- requires an enhanced individual, population and system response to ensure it is managed effectively, efficiently and safely

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #4622 on: March 30, 2020, 08:54:28 AM »
A bad scenario (% growth of deaths keeping steady) has 100k USA deaths in mid-April though.
The worst is never certain but...
ὕβρις

Fifstar

« Reply #4623 on: March 30, 2020, 09:08:54 AM »

Looking at Swedish corona stats, not quarantining people using force and closing everything down but instead asking us plebs to act responsibly on our own accord seems to work just as well as the more authoritarian methods.  :swiss

Not to rain on your parade, but in reality sweden probably just tests not nearly enough and the big wave is coming. The CFR is at 3,6% which at this time points to a big dark number. The swedish death rate per capita is currently on par with the UK and twice as high as the US. Norway for example has about as many infections as sweden but less than a third of deaths...
Gulp

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4624 on: March 30, 2020, 09:13:14 AM »
Got an email from Amazon over the weekend, saying that all non-essential items will see significant delivery delays.

Persona 5 Royal now out for delivery and due to arrive in a few minutes.
:confused

What did they do to change it? Did they cut it by 20 hours?

Also fairly essential though, are you planning on playing it.

I like it and other video games have come 1-2 days before the release dates, yet toilet paper (when in stock) takes days, lol.
ど助平

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #4625 on: March 30, 2020, 09:22:13 AM »

More feel-good content for you boys and girls.  :goty2

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
« Reply #4626 on: March 30, 2020, 09:24:51 AM »
Got an email from Amazon over the weekend, saying that all non-essential items will see significant delivery delays.

Persona 5 Royal now out for delivery and due to arrive in a few minutes.
:confused

What did they do to change it? Did they cut it by 20 hours?

Also fairly essential though, are you planning on playing it.

I like it and other video games have come 1-2 days before the release dates, yet toilet paper (when in stock) takes days, lol.
A whole new meaning to dirty ass gamers.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #4627 on: March 30, 2020, 09:25:59 AM »
Not sure it was mentioned but Portugal is granting temporary status to all legal immigrants that they were processing on an administrative level so that they get the same rights with healthcare access than citizens.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #4628 on: March 30, 2020, 09:35:53 AM »
Orban also got emergency powers voted in Hungary.
ὕβρις

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #4629 on: March 30, 2020, 09:48:17 AM »
Had to stand in line before I could enter the supermarket today. They were only letting in a few people at a time as a precaution.

... but I now have a very RARE sealed item for sale in MINT condition.
A 18 rolls toilet paper value pack from Page, extra soft and absorbent.
Bidding begins at $78 349 excluding shipping.

I have not seen such a premium toilet paper brand in stores for like a month.
🤴

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #4630 on: March 30, 2020, 09:52:05 AM »
If this extends out to the end of May, I can't wait for all the entitled parents that insist on giving little Johnny his Prom/Graduation that he is missing out on. You know that is coming.

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
« Reply #4631 on: March 30, 2020, 09:53:05 AM »
Had to stand in line before I could enter the supermarket today. They were only letting in a few people at a time as a precaution.

... but I now have a very RARE sealed item for sale in MINT condition.
A 18 rolls toilet paper value pack from Page, extra soft and absorbent.
Bidding begins at $78 349 excluding shipping.

I have not seen such a premium toilet paper brand in stores for like a month.

Big stonks James will be all over a %

jorma

« Reply #4632 on: March 30, 2020, 10:31:33 AM »

Looking at Swedish corona stats, not quarantining people using force and closing everything down but instead asking us plebs to act responsibly on our own accord seems to work just as well as the more authoritarian methods.  :swiss

Not to rain on your parade, but in reality sweden probably just tests not nearly enough and the big wave is coming. The CFR is at 3,6% which at this time points to a big dark number. The swedish death rate per capita is currently on par with the UK and twice as high as the US. Norway for example has about as many infections as sweden but less than a third of deaths...

I'm not suggesting we are doing better, just not worse. If the more draconian measures don't yield better results than a mere suggestion from the PM to act responsibly, there is literally no reason to implement them.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #4633 on: March 30, 2020, 10:35:18 AM »

I'm not suggesting we are doing better, just not worse. If the more draconian measures don't yield better results than a mere suggestion from the PM to act responsibly, there is literally no reason to implement them.

It's too premature to say Sweden's approach is yielding better or equal results. It may still, for particular reasons or a better general approach. I'd say it's riskier, but maybe your government will be vindicated.
ὕβρις

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #4634 on: March 30, 2020, 10:42:28 AM »
(Twitter account got suspended for speaking truth to the power? :shh )

He wasn't suspended, the delicate flower that is Elon Musk just did what Trump wishes he'd be able to do (but hasn't managed to install enough stooges in the courts to make it legal just yet): he blocked the guy.

...Go look up the account name, dude. It's suspended.

Let me save you time, bb: It's suspended.

Ghoul

« Reply #4635 on: March 30, 2020, 10:44:39 AM »
(Twitter account got suspended for speaking truth to the power? :shh )

He wasn't suspended, the delicate flower that is Elon Musk just did what Trump wishes he'd be able to do (but hasn't managed to install enough stooges in the courts to make it legal just yet): he blocked the guy.

...Go look up the account name, dude. It's suspended.

Let me save you time, bb: It's suspended.

Elon stans came out and mass reported, it's just like that ok boomer girl lmao.

Speaking of weird shit, why doesn't Trump build the wall with the corpses of the dead?

Would be metal as fuck breh.

thisismyusername

« Reply #4636 on: March 30, 2020, 10:55:29 AM »

jorma

« Reply #4637 on: March 30, 2020, 10:58:38 AM »

It's too premature to say Sweden's approach is yielding better or equal results. It may still, for particular reasons or a better general approach. I'd say it's riskier, but maybe your government will be vindicated.

I think they still have quarantine as an option for Stockholm, but wont do it unless they really really need to. And also that our experts thinks it's dangerous to implement it too early, since people will start to violate quarantine just as they are needed indoors the most.

I personally approve of how they've been running it, and it seems like most people agree.
It also has the added benefit of making people focus more on their own actions and less on everyone else.  :)

Ghoul

« Reply #4638 on: March 30, 2020, 10:59:16 AM »
Speaking of Twitter:

https://twitter.com/loswhit/status/1244413884670390273

Same shit in the UK breh, a family had a shit load of people round for karaoke.

https://twitter.com/DerWestResponse/status/1244060249402806277

The replies as well are mental FYI

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4639 on: March 30, 2020, 11:01:29 AM »
A choir practice held in Washington state on March 10, as the new coronavirus was spreading in Seattle, left dozens of people with COVID-19. The Los Angeles Times reports that 45 out of 60 Skagit Valley Chorale who gathered at the Mount Vernon Presbyterian Church have tested positive. Three have been hospitalized and two have died. No one at the practice had symptoms and most avoided contact with others, but the act of singing could have dispersed virus-containing droplets into the air they breathed.
dog

thisismyusername

« Reply #4640 on: March 30, 2020, 11:12:58 AM »
Ya love to see it. Boomer Remover™ doing the job of removing Boomers. :doge

Ghoul

« Reply #4641 on: March 30, 2020, 11:18:01 AM »
A choir practice held in Washington state on March 10, as the new coronavirus was spreading in Seattle, left dozens of people with COVID-19. The Los Angeles Times reports that 45 out of 60 Skagit Valley Chorale who gathered at the Mount Vernon Presbyterian Church have tested positive. Three have been hospitalized and two have died. No one at the practice had symptoms and most avoided contact with others, but the act of singing could have dispersed virus-containing droplets into the air they breathed.

Christian Music 45 infections and 2 dead

Metal:

Rammstein’s frontman Till Lindemann has tested negative for the coronavirus - contrary to earlier reports that he had tested positive for the virus.

On Friday March 27 it had been reported that the German rocker had tested positive after being admitted to a Berlin hospital with a high fever.

Concern grew because he had to spend a night in an intensive care unit.

:woken

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #4642 on: March 30, 2020, 11:35:30 AM »
https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/who-video-games-playaparttogether/

The World Health Organization wants you to stay at home and play video games

:salute :playa

What do you do if you're a Resetera member though?

WHO trying to recruit an army of GAMERGATORS!!! :gamergate
^_^

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #4643 on: March 30, 2020, 11:38:51 AM »
Speaking of Twitter:

Is this one of those "what having a stroke looks like" pictures?
^_^

Ghoul

« Reply #4644 on: March 30, 2020, 11:41:28 AM »
Speaking of Twitter:

Is this one of those "what having a stroke looks like" pictures?

Fact Check, that is not typical British party food, god damn peaches with fried chicken... unreal...

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #4645 on: March 30, 2020, 11:42:46 AM »
peaches n cream. not peaches n fried chickens  :neogaf

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #4646 on: March 30, 2020, 11:42:47 AM »
https://wkow.com/2020/03/30/state-by-state-projection-shows-when-wisconsin-will-peak-during-pandemic/

A new analysis predicts Wisconsin will make it through the coronavirus pandemic without a shortage in hospital beds, if social distancing mandates are maintained

Having a bed to die in  :lawd
OH!

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #4647 on: March 30, 2020, 11:43:09 AM »
Ya love to see it. Boomer Remover™ doing the job of removing Boomers. :doge

No I don't love to see people dying from disease?

I just want to see the right people die. 

team filler

• filler
  • filler

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #4649 on: March 30, 2020, 11:49:11 AM »

I think they still have quarantine as an option for Stockholm, but wont do it unless they really really need to. And also that our experts thinks it's dangerous to implement it too early, since people will start to violate quarantine just as they are needed indoors the most.

I personally approve of how they've been running it, and it seems like most people agree.
It also has the added benefit of making people focus more on their own actions and less on everyone else.  :)

I guess it's true you could shutdown "too early" (though from a contagion standpoint it cannot hurt, at worst you're setting the clock to almost 0 if there's really few cases) but half the world is there already and the economy has already gone into sleep mode, so I think countries shutting "too late" may run the risk of having to shut anyway when most of the major economic players are going to restart the engine, suffering longer closure and travel restrictions. It's probably a bigger question mark for the US than you, but still.

Also, it's probably an unprovable assertion but maybe the Swedish approach could be facilitated because all neighbouring countries / places that are interconnected with Sweden are taking the hit now, reducing the amount of people that could carry the infection in.

It's true, however, that shutdowns may have a big toll on general mental health, small businesses and poor workers.

fifstar pointed that Sweden was maybe not testing enough, if so the policy is more of a gamble than a rational approach.

But who knows ? I sure wish I could see friends and enjoy the sun right now. We'll probably need to wait late April-May to really have a better understanding of how far the virus penetrated, how effective were the shutdowns and where we'll be going from there.
ὕβρις

Ghoul

« Reply #4650 on: March 30, 2020, 11:49:40 AM »

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #4651 on: March 30, 2020, 11:58:35 AM »
Belgium is getting hit hard by this and like France and anywhere else there's a neverending saga about PPE procurement (a mask bid was canceled, government say because the supplier tried to gouge them after the fact, the company vehemently denies).

Turns out the whole "global chain will get through" doesn't work great when the major manufacturing centers have been shut down and everyone needs to restock at the same time.
ὕβρις

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot

Ghoul

« Reply #4653 on: March 30, 2020, 12:07:10 PM »
that shade. Japan ready to fight huh?

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #4654 on: March 30, 2020, 12:21:05 PM »
I have never posted on 4chan, how offensive.  Someone just made it onto the list.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #4655 on: March 30, 2020, 12:24:51 PM »
WTF is going on with California testing, I keep seeing that there's supposedly tens of thousands tests they're waiting the results for ?

Edit : This I guess

https://www.latimes.com/business/story/2020-03-30/its-taking-up-to-eight-days-to-get-coronavirus-tests-results-heres-why
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 12:47:43 PM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
ὕβρις

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #4657 on: March 30, 2020, 12:30:52 PM »
They have doctors blending lobsters into their IV bags. 

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #4659 on: March 30, 2020, 12:46:08 PM »
These things are more complicated than cars so I don't know why we're just handing them out to everyone that wants one

This is Obama's America.
每天生气

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4660 on: March 30, 2020, 12:57:02 PM »
What's next, a licence to breathe oxygen with my own damn lungs?!
dog

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #4661 on: March 30, 2020, 01:02:04 PM »

stufte

• Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior
« Reply #4662 on: March 30, 2020, 01:02:43 PM »
How dare the upper crust have to even beleaguer the notion of allowing the poors to breathe. The nerve!

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #4663 on: March 30, 2020, 01:18:32 PM »
Some good news from Italy the numbers went down for a third day in a row which means that likely a downward trend has set in.

In the Netherlands numbers are about the same. The province hit hardest is recovering, also some great results with the 'Malaria' cure here.
1500 recovered today.

The bad news in another province hospitalizations are rapidly increasing.
Another glimmer of hope, the treatment seems to be at a point that not everyone needs ventilators and a coma (thanks to the Malaria drug and some other treatments they're trying).
🤴

bluemax

NO

shosta

« Reply #4665 on: March 30, 2020, 01:19:43 PM »
no, there is no hope. only suffering.
每天生气

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #4666 on: March 30, 2020, 01:22:19 PM »
We've seen this in all countries with outbreaks and testing results during / from the weekends seem to slow down or decrease. If the trend continues it's good but it's likely it will increase again tomorrow or the day after.
ὕβρις

Ghoul

« Reply #4667 on: March 30, 2020, 01:28:54 PM »
UK claiming same curve as France, true, they're both not including people that die of it outside of hospital **

Said they will add them later**

bluemax

« Reply #4668 on: March 30, 2020, 01:30:04 PM »
I'm pretty despondent so I'm trying to find any sliver of hope to hold on to, way to rain on my parade!
NO

Ghoul

« Reply #4669 on: March 30, 2020, 01:41:52 PM »

honestly i'm feeling kinda relieved i got this early so that i got 1/2 strains out of the way (and didnt die). #hopepunk

We don't know about immunity yet though really.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #4670 on: March 30, 2020, 01:43:07 PM »
I don't know much about biology, but I'm pretty sure counting strains by simple genetic differences isn't a good indicator of strains being different in terms of immunity. 

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #4671 on: March 30, 2020, 01:45:30 PM »
The ventilator welfare queens remind me,

Has Trump caught the mysterious face mask stealing gang yet? Is Rudy on the case?  :lol
🤴

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #4672 on: March 30, 2020, 01:47:17 PM »
UK claiming same curve as France, true, they're both not including people that die of it outside of hospital **

418 new deaths registered in France, the highest number yet.
A Moselle hospital is requesting 12 transfers a day because it's saturated.

They haven't announced new cases yet.
ὕβρις

thisismyusername

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #4674 on: March 30, 2020, 01:48:57 PM »
Ontario had a bad day today.

Occam

« Reply #4675 on: March 30, 2020, 01:49:45 PM »

honestly i'm feeling kinda relieved i got this early so that i got 1/2 strains out of the way (and didnt die). #hopepunk

How are your lungs? Any aftereffects?
Since you didn't get pneumonia, I suppose there is no lasting damage?

Ghoul

« Reply #4676 on: March 30, 2020, 01:50:23 PM »

418 new deaths registered in France, the highest number yet.
A Moselle hospital is requesting 12 transfers a day because it's saturated.

They haven't announced new cases yet.

How many days ahead are you guys to us? a week-ish?

I think as deaths go up the new numbers talks will suddenly get lost within reports.

shosta

« Reply #4677 on: March 30, 2020, 01:50:44 PM »
As long as I'm partially immune for a few months I'm choosing to see this as an absolute win #hopepunk
please endeavor to use the official hopepunk emoji () when expressing hopepunk or hopepunk adjacent emotions, thank you
每天生气

Ghoul

« Reply #4678 on: March 30, 2020, 01:52:14 PM »
As long as I'm partially immune for a few months I'm choosing to see this as an absolute win #hopepunk
please endeavor to use the official hopepunk emoji ((Image removed from quote.)) when expressing hopepunk or hopepunk adjacent emotions, thank you

Need a horsepunk emote that is bojack.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4679 on: March 30, 2020, 01:55:31 PM »
please endeavor to use the official hopepunk emoji ((Image removed from quote.)) when expressing hopepunk or hopepunk adjacent emotions, thank you

I got you, fam. :winning
dog