Author Topic: Corona Thread |OT| Nu variant, who dis?  (Read 1081999 times)

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Re: Corona Thread |OT| Money-printer goes BRRRR
« Reply #5280 on: April 04, 2020, 11:38:53 AM »
[Wal-Mart] said it will allow no more than five customers per 1,000 square feet at a given time starting Saturday. This is roughly 20 percent its normal capacity.

Employees will admit customers one-by-one while counting to enforce this restriction. Once the store reaches capacity, customers will be allowed in on a “one-in-one-out” basis.

There will be only one-way movement in the stores once customers are inside.
dog

Tasty

« Reply #5281 on: April 04, 2020, 11:42:07 AM »
Local ones around here are only letting 6 in a store at a time.

My mom's been three times this week and both parents went separately today. :snoop

Like guys WTF are you doing? :snoop

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #5282 on: April 04, 2020, 11:45:24 AM »

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #5283 on: April 04, 2020, 11:47:50 AM »
don't remember if it was this thread or the politics one where people were loling at musk donating bipaps instead of full size ventilators

regardless it sounds like judgments were premature

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1245858862999060480.html?refreshed=yes

also he asked the hospitals ahead of time and told them what he was giving them and they said fuck yes we need them

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1245800685494366208

hospitals using them and thanking him again

https://twitter.com/DrDavidReich/status/1245829231096909826
Uncle

VomKriege

• Do the moron
ὕβρις

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #5286 on: April 04, 2020, 11:57:56 AM »

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #5288 on: April 04, 2020, 12:58:52 PM »
:O

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #5289 on: April 04, 2020, 01:04:02 PM »
US trying to beat italy like
'
🤴

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #5290 on: April 04, 2020, 01:12:58 PM »
Oof

^_^

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #5291 on: April 04, 2020, 01:17:22 PM »
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1246485027191435264

They should start doing trailers for these.
🤴

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #5292 on: April 04, 2020, 01:17:41 PM »
Am I crazy, or is not having every state on lock down just prolonging this whole thing?

It's madness. I understand some of it is a flaw by design in federal states (Germany has some disparity between how strict each lander is) but in the US the response has been all over the place while domestic air travel was, AFAIK, mostly going on as normal though I'm sure passenger volume reduced of its own volition. WA only issued their stay at home first policies 11 days ago while some states haven't yet now, but even such a gap could have noticeable effects.

That's why I've been bitching about France escalating from school closures to actual lockdown in 4 days instead of just following Italian policies once they went down that path. Maybe we would have plateaued at 350-450 daily death instead of 550... And judging from Italy and Spain, you stick at that plateau for several days, so that's maybe 500 deaths you could have prevented.

Maybe lower density will help the US ultimately. California's major cities not going belly up would be a big relief too.

I believe the airlines have to keep flying to preserve their routes, they are probably flying empty planes.

I monitor daily airline spend at my bank, it was a few million dollars per day before corona, now it’s less that $100k. Some days it’s even been negative.

IIRC the EU took steps to ensure that airlines didn't have to fly empty planes to keep "their place" at airports at least for the duration. I imagine routes are over the US are mandated by a federal authority that could do the same.
ὕβρις

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #5293 on: April 04, 2020, 01:20:58 PM »
:salute

Propagandhim

« Reply #5294 on: April 04, 2020, 01:22:09 PM »
My sister-in-law's uncle went into the hospital for a head injury, contracted the virus while there, and had died fighting it.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #5295 on: April 04, 2020, 01:27:14 PM »
Uncle

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #5296 on: April 04, 2020, 01:32:42 PM »
A journalist from a 24h news channel who thought his mic was off whispered "They're burying Pokémons" while the images of the Chinese ceremony to mourn the Corona deaths were broadcasted.

https://twitter.com/s_assbague/status/1246360348967518208
ὕβρις

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #5297 on: April 04, 2020, 01:40:51 PM »

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #5298 on: April 04, 2020, 02:01:43 PM »

Anton Petrov
1 day ago
Despite the topic being somewhat bizarre, this is really not related to the April Fool's joke at all - there are several papers exploring this topic out there. Which also implies that they predict there would be a pandemic of some sorts in 2031 as well. We'll have to wait and see.

oraz
1 day ago
Maybe just enough mutation to make the jump between species.

Caterpillar
1 day ago (edited)
Surely the best theory would be that the extra radiation from the Sun causes higher mutation rates in viruses.

:thinking

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #5299 on: April 04, 2020, 02:08:38 PM »
another pandemic in 2031 you say

https://www.silive.com/coronavirus/2020/03/did-psychic-sylvia-browne-predict-the-coronavirus-12-years-ago.html

People are starting to talk and wonder about the bold prediction made by psychic Sylvia Browne in her 2008 book called End of Days: Predictions and Prophecies about the End of the World, when she wrote about a sickness like the current coronavirus.

In that book, Browne wrote: "In around 2020 a severe pneumonia-like illness will spread throughout the globe, attacking the lungs and the bronchial tubes and resisting all known treatments.

“Almost more baffling than the illness itself will be the fact that it will suddenly vanish as quickly as it has arrived, attack again 10 years later, and then disappear completely."
Uncle

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #5302 on: April 04, 2020, 02:26:33 PM »
Michigan has 4 times the reported cases vs Ohio. Despite both states having similar reaction time to slowing down the spread.

They surmise that the big difference is that Detroit has a heavily traveled international airport and Michigan had elections on March 10th, whereas Ohio was able to cancel theirs a week later. Detroit has roughly 80 percent of the cases for the state.

https://www.cleveland.com/news/2020/04/michigan-now-has-close-to-quadruple-ohios-coronavirus-cases-what-could-be-causing-the-difference.html

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #5303 on: April 04, 2020, 02:37:26 PM »
US, UK, and France having a really bad day,  Spain and Italy's deaths seem to have become linear now. 

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #5304 on: April 04, 2020, 02:45:56 PM »
In 6 months when we get out of lockdown we will all be raiding uninspired bandit camps for sub-par loot waiting for the next quest marker to appear.
🤴

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #5305 on: April 04, 2020, 03:44:05 PM »
US, UK, and France having a really bad day,  Spain and Italy's deaths seem to have become linear now.

There must have been some confusion in the reporting about French long term care homes the first day because obviously 2/3 institutions had not given yet their numbers since it's the third straight day of that casualties total growing. Seems only 30% have so far, now so there's maybe 4000-6000 deaths still on the backlog that may add up to the total.

However otherwise there were less daily deaths in hospitals, the number of new admissions in ICU is still decreasing (176 today, it was 400+ a couple of days ago) as is the number going to hospitals, new cases are stable.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 03:54:07 PM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

bluemax

NO

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #5310 on: April 04, 2020, 04:20:25 PM »
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1246139221414461441

:existential
Soon my people will be free of the oppression of our Dutch masters' directness. Soon we will rise and destroy the oppressors.
Spud

Potato

• Senior's Member
Spud

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #5312 on: April 04, 2020, 04:25:19 PM »
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1246139221414461441

:existential

Just turn them into batteries to power your distinguished mentally-challenged greenhouses.

Potato

• Senior's Member
Spud

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #5314 on: April 04, 2020, 04:43:15 PM »
Ex made me a mask out of old ikea fabric, gonna scavenging today

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #5316 on: April 04, 2020, 05:11:53 PM »
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 05:19:56 PM by Rufus »

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #5318 on: April 04, 2020, 06:13:36 PM »
 :corona_mj

bluemax

NO

bluemax

NO

Tripon

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #5322 on: April 04, 2020, 08:03:15 PM »
No, they are doubling every three days or so, the last few days have been between 900 and 1300. 

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #5323 on: April 04, 2020, 08:03:32 PM »
Did the death numbers double over night in the US?
some libs might be dying twice to own the cons, just like when they vote  :trumps

Tasty

Tripon

« Reply #5326 on: April 04, 2020, 08:23:45 PM »
The first setback came when China refused to share samples of the virus, depriving U.S. researchers of supplies to bombard with drugs and therapies in a search for ways to defeat it. But even when samples had been procured, the U.S. effort was hampered by systemic problems and institutional hubris.

Among the costliest errors was a misplaced assessment by top health officials that the outbreak would probably be limited in scale inside the United States — as had been the case with every other infection for decades — and that the CDC could be trusted on its own to develop a coronavirus diagnostic test.

Current and former officials said that Kadlec, Fauci, Redfield and others have repeatedly had to divert their attentions from core operations to contend with ill-conceived requests from the White House they don’t believe they can ignore. And Azar, who once ran the response, has since been sidelined, with his agency disempowered in decision-making and his performance pilloried by a range of White House officials, including Kushner.

“Right now Fauci is trying to roll out the most ambitious clinical trial ever implemented” to hasten the development of a vaccine, said a former senior administration official in frequent touch with former colleagues. And yet, the nation’s top health officials “are getting calls from the White House or Jared’s team asking, ‘Wouldn’t it be nice to do this with Oracle?’ ”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2020/04/04/coronavirus-government-dysfunction/?arc404=true

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #5327 on: April 04, 2020, 08:24:58 PM »
https://twitter.com/DimitarBechev/status/1246432234699194370

Who could forget his vibrant speeches about how Athens was just the backup for its client states, the greatest backup there ever was ?
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #5328 on: April 04, 2020, 08:48:16 PM »
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/27/republican-fundraiser-company-coronavirus-152184

A longtime Republican fundraiser sent an email to his clients on Thursday abruptly announcing that he would no longer be working for them.

“Over the last 14 days I have built another business outside politics and will be focusing my full attention there,” he wrote in the email, which was obtained by POLITICO.

Asked how he’d managed to procure such equipment when there are shortages in hospitals across the country, Gula said, “I have relationships with a lot of people.”

“It’s just relationship-based,” he said. “I can’t say anything else.”

He also declined to reveal how much money the pair had made but said they were not price gouging.

“We are incredibly sensitive to gouging,” he said.
ὕβρις

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #5329 on: April 04, 2020, 08:49:09 PM »
do i shave the rona beard or keep going

bluemax

« Reply #5330 on: April 04, 2020, 08:49:33 PM »
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1246595933246296067

I don't know if I fully understand the charts above, but it makes it look like the 30 day mark is when things start getting better for California? I realize we are maybe 21 days in, so maybe by next weekend there is some kind of change?
NO

Tripon

« Reply #5331 on: April 04, 2020, 08:56:01 PM »
Ya everyone dies next weekend

I don't know if I fully understand the charts above, but it makes it look like the 30 day mark is when things start getting better for California? I realize we are maybe 21 days in, so maybe by next weekend there is some kind of change?

Yeah, I think the peak date according to CA's own internal model is late April. Even after the curve laters and the peak crests, that still means hundreds of people still being sick or needing hospitalization. I don't see what's constitutes 'normal' for a long while.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #5332 on: April 04, 2020, 09:01:47 PM »
Only things I couldn’t find were hydrogen peroxide and isopropyl alcohol

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #5333 on: April 04, 2020, 09:03:40 PM »

Keep it.  Mines already three inches from the base  :-*

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #5334 on: April 04, 2020, 09:06:30 PM »
If you're planning on wearing a mask, you should be clean shaven or keep it to the acceptable styles
Spud

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #5335 on: April 04, 2020, 09:07:47 PM »
Toku, they can shave us when they ventilate us.  Don't give in. 

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #5336 on: April 04, 2020, 09:09:25 PM »
Only shave at the end of the quarantine.
Makes for a better "come out of the cave" moment.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #5337 on: April 04, 2020, 09:12:36 PM »
Or come out of the cave and keep it, just like Guru Gobind Singh says we should. 

bluemax

« Reply #5338 on: April 04, 2020, 09:13:47 PM »
Ya everyone dies next weekend

Yeah, I think the peak date according to CA's own internal model is late April. Even after the curve laters and the peak crests, that still means hundreds of people still being sick or needing hospitalization. I don't see what's constitutes 'normal' for a long while.

Right I'm not saying it'll be over or even heading downward, just maybe slowing? I remember seeing the 24th thrown around a few times as the peak.
NO

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #5339 on: April 04, 2020, 09:49:23 PM »
right, that's when the effects of lockdown kick in and the numbers stay steady

and then it's smooth sailing in lockdown for 17 more months until the vaccine is ready
Uncle