Author Topic: Corona Thread |OT| Nu variant, who dis?  (Read 1081755 times)

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
Re: Corona Thread |OT| Money-printer goes BRRRR
« Reply #5580 on: April 06, 2020, 02:35:37 PM »
Right down to the having Prom at home... and graduation, etc.

Well I mean the south is fairly normal for your dad to finger you at some point so why not make it at your E-Prom.

Also those models I believe South Korea, but sure as fuck don't believe Chinese numbers.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #5581 on: April 06, 2020, 02:36:44 PM »
The bore should get a boat.  I always knew we'd make a good decreasing line on a graph. 

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #5582 on: April 06, 2020, 02:37:42 PM »
SS The Implication

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
« Reply #5583 on: April 06, 2020, 02:37:46 PM »
The bore should get a boat.  I always knew we'd make a good decreasing line on a graph.

I suggested a boat in the bore crowdfunding thread last year, turns out I was dead on the money. :smug

We'd totally end up pirates though that's the only issue. Especially with Filler wanting to pillage every town.

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #5584 on: April 06, 2020, 02:42:12 PM »
If you believe China is making up its numbers and covering up deaths, why would it report a spike in new cases rather than just cover those up, too
每天生气

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #5585 on: April 06, 2020, 02:44:22 PM »
Honestly, this whole thing has made me very interested in the science/art of faking statistics in authoritarian states.   

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #5586 on: April 06, 2020, 02:45:37 PM »
If you believe China is making up its numbers and covering up deaths, why would it report a spike in new cases rather than just cover those up, too
I think they're using the same trick everyone else is using for starters.
Don't report the numbers of people who haven't been tested.

France started doing that and now look at their line.
The US also does that, I think.  :doge

In other countries like mine it's like: "Yeah, we know condolences are trending but what's the point in testing someone who is already dead? Don't worry we'll adjust those numbers later"  :yeshrug
🤴

shosta

« Reply #5587 on: April 06, 2020, 02:49:34 PM »
i don't want to suck china's dick too hard here but maybe you guys are just experiencing a lot of cognitive dissonance that a country of a billion poor ass rice farmers who allegedly eat bats was able to mobilize its resources and effectively contain/suppress the outbreak while the apex civilizations are still squabbling over distribution of masks and constitutional rights.
每天生气

Ghoul

« Reply #5588 on: April 06, 2020, 02:54:23 PM »
checks shostas avatar, damn, he was a mole the whole time. I dunno it seems sketchy to me that everywhere else is absolutely fucked, but somehow the deaths there are super low.

Even with them being poor mother fuckers, they're a very dense land? If I'm wrong fine, I'll admit, but it just doesn't add up for me.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #5589 on: April 06, 2020, 02:56:25 PM »
A billion poor ass rice farmers who eat bats?  What is this 1970?  They are like a billion and a half poor ass rice farmers who eat bats. 

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
:O

Ghoul

« Reply #5591 on: April 06, 2020, 02:59:15 PM »
https://twitter.com/TrafficFailNYC/status/1247018818792275968

This is why the US will be in lock down for five fucking years, you guys are fucked.

stufte

• Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior
« Reply #5592 on: April 06, 2020, 02:59:19 PM »
Illegal Funeral.

Ghoul

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #5594 on: April 06, 2020, 03:10:41 PM »
Deep fakes keep getting weirder.  I'm into it though. 

A billion poor ass rice farmers who eat bats?  What is this 1970?  They are like a billion and a half poor ass rice farmers who eat bats.

yes. they are also mind controlled by the ccp using the social credit scores. it is hypothesized that the reason this is the case is because they have skull shapes been propagandized into believing that xi jinping has the Mandate of Heaven (google it!!! source: jeff bezos newspaper) and rules over china like an emperor.

I don't know if you are continuing my sarcasm or not because you failed to like my original post. 

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #5595 on: April 06, 2020, 03:12:41 PM »
a billion people eating bats  ??? are there factory farms in chiner  ???

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
Margs

Ghoul

« Reply #5597 on: April 06, 2020, 03:15:34 PM »
BOJO is in intensive care now...

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #5598 on: April 06, 2020, 03:18:16 PM »
https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-52178501

'Netanyahu announces Passover lockdown'

Guess they are bringing the holiday back to its roots. 

Ghoul

« Reply #5599 on: April 06, 2020, 03:19:22 PM »
https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-52178501

'Netanyahu announces Passover lockdown'

Guess they are bringing the holiday back to its roots.

bruh.

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #5600 on: April 06, 2020, 03:19:43 PM »

I was watching some Kudlow interviews from the end of February. He said the virus was "fully contained" and "airtight" :lol  :-\ Just so much wishful thinking. Starting to wonder if we need more autonomous bureaucracies that are given a sole mandate and can't interact with the political part of the administration. Like the FBI. Recallable only by will of congress. Does that violate the constitution?

Deepstate huh :smug

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #5601 on: April 06, 2020, 03:19:46 PM »

I think Italy, Spain and most other countries following the same curve is good evidence that China's numbers (which they gave with having no point of reference) are representative. I think we'll see that Western countries plateau longer before decreasing, which would be consistent with more lenient lockdowns.

Maybe they lied on the numbers but not on the trends. Let's assume this is true : Why have half a cover up ? If I had to speculate : it would be a major international scandal, blow to their credibility and possibly trigger sanctions if that thing turned into a global outbreak and it became nakedly apparent that China bullshitted the WHO and fed them useless, inaccurate scientific information. If their experts are competent (and why wouldn't they ?) they probably realized at some point that disrupting the Lunar New Year festivities and a lockdown of a visible region was a looming possibility and that the whole world would have noticed.

My (limited) understanding of China is that they probably act in good faith and play the game with multilateral organisations at least up to a point. It makes sense both from an ideological perspective and as a counterpoint to the USA. It's hard to discount wholesale that they could and would minimize a catastrophe though I think there's maybe some prejudice at play when some immediately assume that fatalities must be horrendous, as if China was not up to First World standards.
ὕβρις

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #5602 on: April 06, 2020, 03:19:48 PM »

So the Russian newspapers were right in the end. Legends

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #5603 on: April 06, 2020, 03:21:55 PM »
The media and state do a good job of developing a reflexive sinosceptic response. I mean compare and contrast when people shared Chinese nurses doing a sorta motivational dance to when perfidious albions did the same.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #5604 on: April 06, 2020, 03:22:28 PM »

I think Italy, Spain and most other countries following the same curve is good evidence that China's numbers (which they gave with no point of reference) are representative.

Maybe, but the issue is that it could just be a scaled-down version of their true data with the same curve. 

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #5605 on: April 06, 2020, 03:23:12 PM »
Boris is only 55  :-\

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #5607 on: April 06, 2020, 03:26:24 PM »

I think Italy, Spain and most other countries following the same curve is good evidence that China's numbers (which they gave with no point of reference) are representative.

Maybe, but the issue is that it could just be a scaled-down version of their true data with the same curve.

Maybe, maybe not. Finding out isn't exactly a priority at the moment for anyone though and it's pretty immaterial to every national efforts to keep this under control.
There's some controversies around the scientific data given and the quality of medical supplies they're shipping but overall the impression is that China gave ample warning and that the blame for lack of preparedness lies on the countries caught with their pants down late February / early March.
ὕβρις

shosta

« Reply #5608 on: April 06, 2020, 03:26:29 PM »
he's also fat as shit
每天生气

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #5609 on: April 06, 2020, 03:27:59 PM »
missed the reports about the number of urns of the dead signifying a much higher death toll?
Uncle

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #5610 on: April 06, 2020, 03:30:00 PM »
No, but the urns are not really solid evidence. 

Maybe, maybe not. Finding out isn't exactly a priority at the moment for anyone though and it's pretty immaterial to every national efforts to keep this under control.
There's some controversies around the scientific data given and the quality of medical supplies they're shipping but overall the impression is that China gave ample warning and that the blame for lack of preparedness lies on the countries caught with their pants down late February / early March.

Ya, I agree.  I'm hesitant to believe china's numbers but I don't follow the logic that distorting the data puts blame on them.  We could have done a lot better.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #5611 on: April 06, 2020, 03:30:10 PM »
missed the reports about the number of urns of the dead signifying a much higher death toll?
Did anybody ever compare it against deaths around this time last year? They don't just cremate COVID19 deaths, presumably.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #5612 on: April 06, 2020, 03:30:50 PM »

The strict lockdown put on hold every funeral AFAIK in Hubei or at least Wuhan, including deaths from all other causes, did it not ? Could account for the extra shipment of urns perhaps.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 03:35:57 PM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

shosta

« Reply #5613 on: April 06, 2020, 03:31:36 PM »
I did and I found that it was well within what the deaths would have been for that year + reported coronavirus deaths. Cremation rate should go up if funerals are banned, too. Best case for underreporting of deaths would be a few extra thousand, not tens of thousands of missing deaths like the conspiracy theorists are on about
每天生气

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #5614 on: April 06, 2020, 03:31:55 PM »
No, but the urns are not really solid evidence.

how are china's reported numbers solid evidence either
Uncle

shosta

« Reply #5615 on: April 06, 2020, 03:33:13 PM »
how are china's reported numbers solid evidence either
null hypothesis
每天生气

Propagandhim

« Reply #5616 on: April 06, 2020, 03:33:38 PM »
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1247245305583673350

Boris in intensive care now...

Oh, looks like I'm late.

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #5617 on: April 06, 2020, 03:34:54 PM »
he's also fat as shit

Huh, so he is. Never got a look at a full body shot, only saw his mug in articles.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/apr/06/hospital-admission-puts-new-focus-on-boris-johnsons-health

Sonia Purnell, author of Just Boris: A Tale of Blond Ambition, said that the prime minister’s usual wellbeing was striking. “By and large, he is remarkably fit considering he is actually a bit overweight,” she said. “He’s not really that active, his runs aren’t very long or very energetic and he is very fond of cheese. In fact, he likes eating a lot – nothing wrong with that – but he does have a very robust constitution. In the time I’ve known him since the 90s, illness has never really come up.”

:doge

In December 2018, when Johnson was foreign secretary, he said in the Spectator that he weighed 16 and a half stone

What's with these stupid measurements :rage

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #5618 on: April 06, 2020, 03:37:00 PM »
a true brexit is about to be achieved  :salute

Fifstar

« Reply #5619 on: April 06, 2020, 03:37:29 PM »

It's not really a spike, it's a logarithmic scale so there is barely anything happening.
I think one theory is that China has only been reporting new cases from people entering the country
Gulp

Ghoul

« Reply #5620 on: April 06, 2020, 03:38:59 PM »

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night

shosta

« Reply #5622 on: April 06, 2020, 03:41:46 PM »
It's not really a spike, it's a logarithmic scale so there is barely anything happening.
I think one theory is that China has only been reporting new cases from people entering the country
The area under the curve of that increase is like 350 people! But I agree that compared to 80k total cases that isn't much.

Anyway if there are a bunch of cases happening in secret why have all the lockdowns been lifted for two weeks now (and Wuhan had it lifted recently)? Wouldn't they be keeping the lockdown and then lying about new cases?
每天生气

Ghoul

« Reply #5623 on: April 06, 2020, 03:45:24 PM »
The British Empire lolz

When people say white people don't like spice I point to the British Empire that invaded lands for spices...

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #5624 on: April 06, 2020, 03:48:29 PM »
The British Empire lolz

When people say white people don't like spice I point to the British Empire that invaded lands for spices...

Have you seen what they eat over there? I don't blame em. :yuck
©@©™

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #5625 on: April 06, 2020, 03:51:24 PM »
Just a personal anecdote, but I am very worried that the bore's like-economy is going into a recession and I request a mod bailout. 

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #5626 on: April 06, 2020, 03:51:42 PM »
The area under the curve of that increase is like 350 people! But I agree that compared to 80k total cases that isn't much.

Anyway if there are a bunch of cases happening in secret why have all the lockdowns been lifted for two weeks now (and Wuhan had it lifted recently)? Wouldn't they be keeping the lockdown and then lying about new cases?

Didn't they reopen movie theaters before closing them in short order ? Don't take my word on that, but I think I saw that bit of news... And the lockdown in Wuhan has barely ended / is still transitioning out, right ? Maybe they're being extra cautious and doing their due diligence...
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 03:56:37 PM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #5627 on: April 06, 2020, 03:52:49 PM »
Just a personal anecdote, but I am very worried that the bore's like-economy is going into a recession and I request a mod bailout.

D3RANG3D already started with the quantitative easing in the sh!tthread. Like economy has never been better !
ὕβρις

Ghoul

« Reply #5628 on: April 06, 2020, 03:53:22 PM »
The British Empire lolz

Have you seen what they eat over there? I don't blame em. :yuck

Jelly eels and mash and liqueur snot? BRITISH AS FUCK. Living in London it is good as it's a melting pot (used to be) for food now at least...

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #5629 on: April 06, 2020, 03:54:35 PM »
I'd give you a like, Vom, but I'm not sure if I'm going to need it or not in a month, so I'm just going to save it for now. 

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #5630 on: April 06, 2020, 03:56:30 PM »
I'd give you a like, Vom, but I'm not sure if I'm going to need it or not in a month, so I'm just going to save it for now.

Like-uidity trap.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #5631 on: April 06, 2020, 03:56:56 PM »
OK that was good.  Here have Vom's like. 

So first they said boris was in the hospital as a precaution.... when there is nothing to be done in a hospital for corona besides getting hooked up to the vent, and now he's in the ICU as a precaution. One does have to wonder what exactly he is doing in there, as a precaution.

Ya if he's in the icu there is something concerning.  I wonder if they had to make a third completely sperate area in the hospital just for him since he's a vip.  TBH hope he gets better, he's not one of the people I want to die. 

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #5632 on: April 06, 2020, 03:59:09 PM »
French Minister of Health promised a "massive test campaign" for at risk demographics. Good. I'll believe it when they'll start proper.
ὕβρις

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #5633 on: April 06, 2020, 04:01:02 PM »
James made the wrong bet. 

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #5635 on: April 06, 2020, 04:02:39 PM »

Bojo about to break out Star NHS and come back.
ゴゴゴゴゴゴゴゴゴゴゴゴゴゴゴゴゴゴゴゴゴゴゴゴゴゴゴゴゴゴゴゴ

who is ted danson?

• ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀✋💎✋🤬
« Reply #5636 on: April 06, 2020, 04:06:54 PM »
Fuck, Dominic Raab filling in for BoJo. Last guy you want making decisions in a situation like his. Dude is gonna euthanize poor Bozza.

https://twitter.com/lbc/status/1109110453073047553
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #5637 on: April 06, 2020, 04:08:01 PM »
Also if it's a precaution, it seems strange that they waited until night time to do it.

shosta

« Reply #5638 on: April 06, 2020, 04:08:43 PM »
Didn't they reopened me vie theaters before closing them in short order ? Don't take my word on that, but I think I saw that bit of news... And the lockdown in Wuhan has barely ended / is still transitioning out, right ? Maybe they're being extra cautious and doing their due diligence...
The lockdown in Hubei ended on the 24th. The lockdown in Wuhan is scheduled to be lifted on the 8th. My issue with the tinfoil stuff is twofold:

1. Either they have it under control or they don't. If they didn't, clearly they would not be back on the path to normalcy. In the province's case they lifted it in the fourth week of March which means that they believed they had almost completely controlled new cases by the first week of March - otherwise they would risk a new outbreak. That looks consistent with the data, as new cases peaks a month ago. So all the timing seems accurate.

2. If they are lying, by how much and why? You don't lie to keep your numbers down 10% or 25%. You lie to obfuscate an entire order of magnitude difference. But I already showed in this thread that the number of urns "evidence" people keep sharing is really consistent with expected deaths for that province + reported deaths in that province. Since the growth rate has been consistent this whole time, and we know that the order of magnitude is correct, are we saying that the government, from the beginning, has been systematically underreporting by some fixed constant? That in January they said "ok everybody, multiply your reported deaths by .75"? So that in the end their numbers are smaller by a statistically insignificant value? Why?

Of course we both know that that's not what people mean when they say "the numbers are not accurate". What they mean is "there's no way they have it under control, it can't be that small, there are a billion people there and it's super dense and the CCP are known liars, I don't trust them." It's just dumb and wrong.

And some people want to split the difference and say "oh, well, I don't trust the Chinese per se, so who knows? We may never find out." Like YOU, Vom. You're doing that! Stop it! It's not helpful and it's not actually the rational opinion.
每天生气

Tasty

« Reply #5639 on: April 06, 2020, 04:11:50 PM »
i don't want to suck china's dick too hard here but maybe you guys are just experiencing a lot of cognitive dissonance that a country of a billion poor ass rice farmers who allegedly eat bats was able to mobilize its resources and effectively contain/suppress the outbreak while the apex civilizations are still squabbling over distribution of masks and constitutional rights.

The benefits of totalitarianism are tempting, but must be rejected. :american