Author Topic: Corona Thread |OT| Nu variant, who dis?  (Read 1082064 times)

jakefromstatefarm

Re: Corona Thread |OT| Money-printer goes BRRRR
« Reply #6000 on: April 09, 2020, 07:08:19 PM »
its definitely 2. i think 3 would get me suicided the fastest

team filler

• filler
  • filler

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night

« Reply #6003 on: April 09, 2020, 07:26:20 PM »
https://twitter.com/MMAFighting/status/1248376886507388931

So you're saying Fight Island isn't happening? Who'd thought that was anything but a good idea.
野球

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #6004 on: April 09, 2020, 07:28:24 PM »
dana got cucked by disney  :lol

Tripon

« Reply #6005 on: April 09, 2020, 07:32:34 PM »
https://twitter.com/MMAFighting/status/1248376886507388931

So you're saying Fight Island isn't happening? Who'd thought that was anything but a good idea.

At the end of the article, Dana White claims Fight Island is still happening.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #6006 on: April 09, 2020, 07:41:15 PM »
After long negotiations the EU has cut a deal. Reading the comments the Italians are very unhappy we're not taking on their debts.  :lol
https://twitter.com/WBHoekstra/status/1248344166767177729
🤴

G The Resurrected

« Reply #6007 on: April 09, 2020, 08:20:37 PM »
My Father is now in ICU, his wife is on the floor below him. He wasn't answering his phone for few days, so I had to call the cops for a welfare check on him. They couldn't send anyone so I called my Uncle to check on him. He found him barely able to breath, sweating like condensation on a glass bottle, holding on to consciousness.  Fuck this shit man, his 60th is coming up in June. :-\

Now I get to call into the nurses station and check in on both of them, can't talk to either of them.

Applied for UI here in CA and still haven't got a determination after more than 10 days, can't get through over the phone for help either. I'm ok for now, but things are going to get more difficult as the month goes on.

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #6008 on: April 09, 2020, 08:23:21 PM »
stay strong, man. hope your father gets through it.
每天生气

shosta

« Reply #6009 on: April 09, 2020, 08:37:33 PM »
https://twitter.com/GranadaReports/status/1248153516214026240

Why do people pay for the police if all they're going to do is party
每天生气

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6010 on: April 09, 2020, 08:38:00 PM »
Sorry man.  Hope they get better. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6012 on: April 09, 2020, 09:06:35 PM »
The last three days of US deaths have been 1971, 1940, 1900.   

bluemax

« Reply #6013 on: April 09, 2020, 09:16:01 PM »
Amazon announced 100,000 new hires a month ago.

They hire so many people and have such robust internal apps for hiring / resume submitting I actually wouldn't be surprised if they eventually offered it up as a SAAS product to compete with LinkedIn or whatever the hiring web site the cool kids are using these days.

They tried to make a machine learning app for hiring people and it just ended up racist and sexist.

Also their recruiters suck fucking ass for engineers.
NO

Tripon

bluemax

NO

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #6017 on: April 09, 2020, 09:49:15 PM »
Medium is Geocities for millenials

and of course I wrote a piece on it

https://medium.com/@marcel_8492/the-origin-story-of-the-alt-right-a5bf7cded989
You shouldn't have shared this. But since you did.
spoiler (click to show/hide)
When someone on NeoGAF coined the term “Dudebro” it changed everything.

I’ve never met my fellow creator but the following is an account of the events as I remember them. A fellow member on the NeoGAF message board posted the words: “Dudebro: My Shit is Fucked Up So I got to Shoot/Slice you II: It’s straight-up Dawg Time“ as a tongue in cheek way to describe the violent and over-the-top action games we were seeing. When he posted his comment I tried to visualize what a “Dudebro” would be like and picked the cover of EA’s Medal of Honor. A few minutes of image editing later and the ‘cover’ of Dudebro and the Dudebro meme were born. For the record, this all happened in a thread about Imagine Babies.
The origin post of Dawg Time: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/so-i-decided-to-rent-imagine-babyz-fashion%C2%85.381646/post-18785729

Your now dead image link is here: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/so-i-decided-to-rent-imagine-babyz-fashion%C2%85.381646/post-18786500

Me and a few others kept joking around about this and started working on a game. I think I kept the Twitter persona of Dudebro going for about two weeks before I got bored and abandoned the project. The others finished what would become the Dudebro side-scrolling game. Part inspired by the likes of Duke Nukem. For us this was just poking a bit of fun at the ridiculous masculinity of other games. We wanted to take this to the next level of crazy as a parody much like Duke Nukem had done for 90’s action-hero movies. The creators of the game once went to PAX to tell this story but they failed to mention their character was inspired by the image I used to visualize what a Dudebro would look like and simply credited it to their “creativity”. My guess is that they might’ve simply forgotten the complete story and I can hardly blame them as they did 99.99% of the work on the Dudebro game. As it turns out however, they weren’t the only ones who ran off with the concept of a Dudebro.
They left you out of this story: https://www.theverge.com/2012/10/25/3543204/dudebro-2-meme-to-game

The game was never finished, rebooted multiple times, disowned multiple times and eventually died because:
http://www.grimoireassemblyforge.com/dudebro2/site/
STATEMENT FROM THE DUDEBRO™ II TEAM
October 23rd, 2017
ABOUT DUDEBRO™ II AND NEOGAF

As is well known, the idea for Dudebro™ II came into existence late 2009 when a thread on the gaming forum NeoGAF took an unexpected turn, and a unique set of circumstances led a surprisingly large number of gamers to come together and share the fun and excitement of putting their creativity into making a video game. Since then, Dudebro™ II and its development team underwent many changes, but it has always been widely known as “the NeoGAF game”, and all of its trailers started with a “NeoGAF presents” disclaimer.

The recent news surrounding NeoGAF and its staff have left the Dudebro™ II team members incredulous and confused. We have no certain information about what may have happened, but we can say for sure that the recent allegations go opposite to the spirit that has permeated our work from the very beginning. Dudebro™ II, at its heart, has always been the group effort of a community of video game fans, with the intent to make fun of their own hobby and its culture in a positive way.

The parties involved in the recent news have never been part of the project or been involved in its direction. Any of their actions, real or alleged, are solely their own. We unequivocally reject any such behavior, and our full sympathy and support go to the victims of these difficult situations.

For this reason, we have decided to remove all references to NeoGAF from the game and all the related material we control, and to form a new team (to be announced at a later date) to take over its development with no relation to the name of Grimoire Assembly Forge, while still carrying on the spirit Dudebro™ II originated from.

Since this is not a planned change, it may require some time to go fully into effect. For any inquiries, please contact us.

Fast forward 8 years later and Dudebro’s marched on the streets in Charlotsville.
Do you have proof?
The evidence of my theory is all around us. Before 2009 Alex Jones looked like a fat nerd much like Rush Limbaugh and other right-wing radio-hosts. Fast forward to 2017 and the maestro of conspiracy is like a human version of the hulk. He even got into a fight with a left-wing commentator from the Young Turks at the RNC and is currently running around the streets picking fights with strangers. Indeed the alpha-male Dudebro who fights against the system.
Despite the fact that Nazi’s had a serious hard-on for the human form prior to 2009 the Neo-Nazi’s weren’t into masculinity at all. In the film The Big Lebowski, the Nazi’s or rather nihilists are depicted as thin and weak. The same goes for the countless of fascists depicted in fiction and non-fiction. Just take a look at Storm troopers in Star Wars or actual German soldiers in Saving Private Ryan, prior to Dudebro these guys weren’t shaped as ‘The Rock’.
"actual" German soldiers huh

ever seen say, American History X?
Let me summarize for all of you who are currently embedded in Dudebro culture. The alpha-male Dudebro does not exist. Your entire movement of manliness can be sourced back to a badly doctored cover of EA’s Medal of Honor and the games and movies that came before it. You could argue that by branding it “Dudebro”. I’m the founder of the Dudebro/GamerGate/alt-right culture of masculinity. Along with whoever came up with the phrase: “Bro, do you even lift?” around 2011. Sense a theme yet?
Yes:
The one thing I do regret is that I somehow created this ‘thing’ and never got any money out of it.Perhaps I should write a book to fix that?
[close]

benjipwns

« Reply #6018 on: April 09, 2020, 09:55:14 PM »

all I wanted to do was post the comment "shut up Nintex" on that post :stahp

Tripon

« Reply #6019 on: April 09, 2020, 10:11:19 PM »

TL:DR. It's probably safe to eat take out.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 10:50:49 PM by Tripon »

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6021 on: April 09, 2020, 10:40:08 PM »

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #6022 on: April 09, 2020, 11:43:55 PM »
Medium is Geocities for millenials

and of course I wrote a piece on it

https://medium.com/@marcel_8492/the-origin-story-of-the-alt-right-a5bf7cded989
You shouldn't have shared this. But since you did.
spoiler (click to show/hide)
When someone on NeoGAF coined the term “Dudebro” it changed everything.

I’ve never met my fellow creator but the following is an account of the events as I remember them. A fellow member on the NeoGAF message board posted the words: “Dudebro: My Shit is Fucked Up So I got to Shoot/Slice you II: It’s straight-up Dawg Time“ as a tongue in cheek way to describe the violent and over-the-top action games we were seeing. When he posted his comment I tried to visualize what a “Dudebro” would be like and picked the cover of EA’s Medal of Honor. A few minutes of image editing later and the ‘cover’ of Dudebro and the Dudebro meme were born. For the record, this all happened in a thread about Imagine Babies.
The origin post of Dawg Time: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/so-i-decided-to-rent-imagine-babyz-fashion%C2%85.381646/post-18785729

Your now dead image link is here: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/so-i-decided-to-rent-imagine-babyz-fashion%C2%85.381646/post-18786500

Me and a few others kept joking around about this and started working on a game. I think I kept the Twitter persona of Dudebro going for about two weeks before I got bored and abandoned the project. The others finished what would become the Dudebro side-scrolling game. Part inspired by the likes of Duke Nukem. For us this was just poking a bit of fun at the ridiculous masculinity of other games. We wanted to take this to the next level of crazy as a parody much like Duke Nukem had done for 90’s action-hero movies. The creators of the game once went to PAX to tell this story but they failed to mention their character was inspired by the image I used to visualize what a Dudebro would look like and simply credited it to their “creativity”. My guess is that they might’ve simply forgotten the complete story and I can hardly blame them as they did 99.99% of the work on the Dudebro game. As it turns out however, they weren’t the only ones who ran off with the concept of a Dudebro.
They left you out of this story: https://www.theverge.com/2012/10/25/3543204/dudebro-2-meme-to-game

The game was never finished, rebooted multiple times, disowned multiple times and eventually died because:
http://www.grimoireassemblyforge.com/dudebro2/site/
STATEMENT FROM THE DUDEBRO™ II TEAM
October 23rd, 2017
ABOUT DUDEBRO™ II AND NEOGAF

As is well known, the idea for Dudebro™ II came into existence late 2009 when a thread on the gaming forum NeoGAF took an unexpected turn, and a unique set of circumstances led a surprisingly large number of gamers to come together and share the fun and excitement of putting their creativity into making a video game. Since then, Dudebro™ II and its development team underwent many changes, but it has always been widely known as “the NeoGAF game”, and all of its trailers started with a “NeoGAF presents” disclaimer.

The recent news surrounding NeoGAF and its staff have left the Dudebro™ II team members incredulous and confused. We have no certain information about what may have happened, but we can say for sure that the recent allegations go opposite to the spirit that has permeated our work from the very beginning. Dudebro™ II, at its heart, has always been the group effort of a community of video game fans, with the intent to make fun of their own hobby and its culture in a positive way.

The parties involved in the recent news have never been part of the project or been involved in its direction. Any of their actions, real or alleged, are solely their own. We unequivocally reject any such behavior, and our full sympathy and support go to the victims of these difficult situations.

For this reason, we have decided to remove all references to NeoGAF from the game and all the related material we control, and to form a new team (to be announced at a later date) to take over its development with no relation to the name of Grimoire Assembly Forge, while still carrying on the spirit Dudebro™ II originated from.

Since this is not a planned change, it may require some time to go fully into effect. For any inquiries, please contact us.

Fast forward 8 years later and Dudebro’s marched on the streets in Charlotsville.
Do you have proof?
The evidence of my theory is all around us. Before 2009 Alex Jones looked like a fat nerd much like Rush Limbaugh and other right-wing radio-hosts. Fast forward to 2017 and the maestro of conspiracy is like a human version of the hulk. He even got into a fight with a left-wing commentator from the Young Turks at the RNC and is currently running around the streets picking fights with strangers. Indeed the alpha-male Dudebro who fights against the system.
Despite the fact that Nazi’s had a serious hard-on for the human form prior to 2009 the Neo-Nazi’s weren’t into masculinity at all. In the film The Big Lebowski, the Nazi’s or rather nihilists are depicted as thin and weak. The same goes for the countless of fascists depicted in fiction and non-fiction. Just take a look at Storm troopers in Star Wars or actual German soldiers in Saving Private Ryan, prior to Dudebro these guys weren’t shaped as ‘The Rock’.
"actual" German soldiers huh

ever seen say, American History X?
Let me summarize for all of you who are currently embedded in Dudebro culture. The alpha-male Dudebro does not exist. Your entire movement of manliness can be sourced back to a badly doctored cover of EA’s Medal of Honor and the games and movies that came before it. You could argue that by branding it “Dudebro”. I’m the founder of the Dudebro/GamerGate/alt-right culture of masculinity. Along with whoever came up with the phrase: “Bro, do you even lift?” around 2011. Sense a theme yet?
Yes:
The one thing I do regret is that I somehow created this ‘thing’ and never got any money out of it.Perhaps I should write a book to fix that?
[close]

Benji is such a nerd  ::)

Just stop thinking and consume Nintex post, and then wait for next Nintex post  :-[
Margs

bluemax

« Reply #6023 on: April 09, 2020, 11:50:50 PM »
True story, the first time I ever downloaded Unity was to contribute to Dude Bro. Also one of the first times I used DropBox. And apparently there's still some Dude Bro files in my DropBox.
NO

benjipwns

« Reply #6024 on: April 09, 2020, 11:53:13 PM »
Just stop thinking and consume Nintex post, and then wait for next Nintex post  :-[
This is basically what medium told me to do before I'm allowed to post "shut up Nintex"

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #6025 on: April 10, 2020, 12:05:11 AM »

TL:DR. It's probably safe to eat take out.
I picked the winning strategy  :delicious

Tripon

« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 12:54:20 AM by Tripon »

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #6027 on: April 10, 2020, 01:18:13 AM »
That seems... extremely counter-productive, given the cardboard half-life of the virus AND packing them into the airport. Heck of a job, Bushie Japan.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #6028 on: April 10, 2020, 01:57:15 AM »
Call your oba-san sooner rather than later, it's not looking good.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #6029 on: April 10, 2020, 02:02:00 AM »
The last three days of US deaths have been 1971, 1940, 1900.   

Is the virus... Trying to tell us something ? Who was President in those years ?
ὕβρις

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #6030 on: April 10, 2020, 02:06:07 AM »
first contact  :thinking

benjipwns

« Reply #6031 on: April 10, 2020, 02:33:40 AM »
Nixon, FDR, McKinley.

All were re-elected, but none of the three ultimately completed their terms in office.

shosta

« Reply #6032 on: April 10, 2020, 03:30:20 AM »
每天生气

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #6034 on: April 10, 2020, 04:38:51 AM »

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #6035 on: April 10, 2020, 04:43:37 AM »
Another grocery run complete.  :salute
1 hour of queue this time around.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #6036 on: April 10, 2020, 04:47:35 AM »
https://twitter.com/Partisangirl/status/1248504693153656833

my syrian queen has spoken  :rejoice
While living to buy the next OLED is sad, consider the following: *There is no (greater) point to your existence;)

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #6037 on: April 10, 2020, 05:34:57 AM »
Nasty fatality report from Belgium this morning, though the total includes a backlog of deaths.
ὕβρις

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #6038 on: April 10, 2020, 06:01:28 AM »

Wow. That's insane to me. I haven't waited more than 10 minutes the one time I went to get groceries around 6PM and that's usually peak hours. I'm getting groceries this morning at 6AM so I expect it to be mostly dead and I'll be using the self check out. But yeah I can't fathom waiting an hour in line for check out.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #6039 on: April 10, 2020, 06:05:17 AM »
It's fucking crazy that we now have a thing called a 'backlog of deaths'.

Jesus christ.

Anyway Benji, I'm glad I have an audience now maybe I should write more on Medium about the current state of culture and society :thinking
🤴

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #6040 on: April 10, 2020, 06:07:36 AM »
It's fucking crazy that we now have a thing called a 'backlog of deaths'.

Not really. If anything, the "daily death tolls" are probably more misleading and unrealistic if you take it a literal sense.
ὕβρις

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #6041 on: April 10, 2020, 06:46:29 AM »

Wow. That's insane to me. I haven't waited more than 10 minutes the one time I went to get groceries around 6PM and that's usually peak hours. I'm getting groceries this morning at 6AM so I expect it to be mostly dead and I'll be using the self check out. But yeah I can't fathom waiting an hour in line for check out.
Probably has to do with the fact that we're asked to just shop from whichever supermarket/grocery store is closest to us, and mine is one that is relatively small, despite being a decently densely populated neighborhood.
So you have a bit of a bottle neck.
At least it's walking distance, so i don't have to use the car.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6042 on: April 10, 2020, 07:56:11 AM »

:crazy

We went yesterday and there were less people than the last time we went to this location.  Mostly everything in stock, but still a lot of toilet paper and paper towels cleaned out- fine by me since we have plenty of both now thanks to Amazon re-stocking.  They didn't have any romaine lettuce for some reason and a lot of pasta was gone, too.  The latter has been nearly sold out at this store for almost a month now.

Last week, we tried a different supermarket on a Friday and that was a major mistake- lots more stuff sold out and it was busier, so we're sticking with this other place and going on Wed. or Thurs. until this is all over with.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 08:01:19 AM by bork »
ど助平

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #6043 on: April 10, 2020, 08:23:21 AM »
Boo. I showed up at like 6:10 and there was no toilet paper and no disinfectant spray or wipes. We still got lots of TP at home, but my roommate asked me for some lysol wipes or sprays. Came up empty handed  :-\

I guess they don't get stock as frequently as I thought. Or I don't know. Maybe I was too overzealous and should have showed up at 7 lol. It's a major grocery store. But there is another one in the other direction about the same distance and a Target is nearby too. I'm sure he'll find those disinfectants over the weekend hopefully.

Clockwork5

« Reply #6044 on: April 10, 2020, 08:23:37 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)
I didn’t know I wanted to watch Ray Romano feed the hog to Alyssa Milano but now I do.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #6045 on: April 10, 2020, 08:33:49 AM »
Fauci reportedly estimates that 60k US deaths is the current projection (by the beginning of August). It seems hard to really gauge the US situation now. NY and its region is massively front loading numbers, but the West Coast may have averted the worst. I don't know what to think for other large metropolitan areas. Lower density elsewhere may help. Relative to its population, it seems the US won't peak as high as Western European nations but the curve may plateau for longer if other states peak noticeably later.

I expect France, Italy and Spain each to not be that far off south of 60k fatalities by this summer -confirmed or reasonably inferred- or maybe after excess mortality statistical studies... I think it would actually be a "good" outcome for the USA.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #6046 on: April 10, 2020, 08:49:42 AM »
Four families filed complaints in the south of France against a private long term care home where their relatives dies of COVID19. I think this will absolutely become a scandal. Either because of uncovered private or public negligence.

Until the next one 15 years from now.
ὕβρις

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #6047 on: April 10, 2020, 09:06:06 AM »
Went out for some groceries.
Almost no people so either everyone is already dead or I picked a good time.

Anyway, the US went from a projection of 2.2 million to a near certain 100k - 250k to 60k now, which would be one hell of an achievement if those numbers hold (and perhaps drop even further).
🤴

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6048 on: April 10, 2020, 09:07:30 AM »

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #6049 on: April 10, 2020, 09:12:17 AM »
Boo. I showed up at like 6:10 and there was no toilet paper and no disinfectant spray or wipes. We still got lots of TP at home, but my roommate asked me for some lysol wipes or sprays. Came up empty handed  :-\

I guess they don't get stock as frequently as I thought. Or I don't know. Maybe I was too overzealous and should have showed up at 7 lol. It's a major grocery store. But there is another one in the other direction about the same distance and a Target is nearby too. I'm sure he'll find those disinfectants over the weekend hopefully.

rubbing alcohol (scarce) or everclear (abundant) solutions will technically work if you really get in a bind, but I probably wouldn't bother unless someone in house was actively sick or at risk.

bonus with everclear, if this ends up chilling out over the summer you can make some hooch.  :playa

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #6050 on: April 10, 2020, 09:23:57 AM »
Bad numbers out of the UK today most probably. Above Italy most macabre daily report again.

Italy, March 27 report : 919 deaths.
UK : 938 on April 8, maybe 950+ today.
ὕβρις

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #6052 on: April 10, 2020, 09:39:09 AM »
could be lower numbers cuz we're on a 4 day weekend  :yeshrug
(ice)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6053 on: April 10, 2020, 09:40:10 AM »
Wife's jerb drama is driving me nuts.  She's been staying at home this whole time and kept getting denied permission to work at home even after her boss went and set up her office PC to let her do so.  This week, she worked at home for a few days after her boss decided to let everyone do it and they'd just keep it a secret from his bosses, lol.  But now she's being told they're going to make a schedule so that there's just a few people in the office at a time.  Less people is great and all, but it's still a risk and I don't want her going.  This is getting so tiresome- the backwards Japanese corporate idiots running that place need to give in and let people work remotely already.
:dizzy
ど助平

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #6054 on: April 10, 2020, 09:48:04 AM »
could be lower numbers cuz we're on a 4 day weekend  :yeshrug

Yeah. Numbers reported being that high during the weekend would be a real bad sign. The UK is basically up to as many "deaths tracked in the healthcare system" than France is today, and escalated to current lockdown measures a week later.

That's not the Crunch you want to win.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
ὕβρις

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #6056 on: April 10, 2020, 10:23:47 AM »
don't get hillary involved she'll kill us all :trumps
(ice)

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #6057 on: April 10, 2020, 10:24:53 AM »
don't get hillary involved she'll kill us all :trumps

"This is tribulation for not voting me in!"

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6058 on: April 10, 2020, 10:46:43 AM »
Went out for some groceries.
Almost no people so either everyone is already dead or I picked a good time.

Ya it's almost like you picked a good friday. 

Tripon