Author Topic: Corona Thread |OT| Nu variant, who dis?  (Read 1081967 times)

Leadbelly

Re: Corona Thread |OT| Money-printer goes BRRRR
« Reply #6300 on: April 14, 2020, 11:06:06 AM »
What the hell is going on with Shosta?

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6301 on: April 14, 2020, 11:09:54 AM »
Madness.  It will come to us all.

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #6302 on: April 14, 2020, 11:16:03 AM »
Spooky shosta

:rejoice
(ice)

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #6303 on: April 14, 2020, 11:18:44 AM »

Really don't feel good about the location history tracking Google opened up to gov'ts and the public, and also not a fan of this Apple/Google collaboration to strip more digital rights away.

Scary shit.

This is 9/11 and the Patriot Act all over again. COVID panic might be the tool gov'ts need to finally ban encryption and be applauded for that decision by the electorate.

it's troubling but also feel kinda crazy because the only ppl worried are super nerds and tech heads like us =/

I think it's awesome and not troubling.

:(

BisMarckie

« Reply #6304 on: April 14, 2020, 11:26:44 AM »
The German state that got hit the hardest during the pandemic wants to open up its schools on Monday. I can’t help but think that it’s a political move by their PM who is tanking in approval ratings, but desperately wants to take Merkel‘s throne.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #6305 on: April 14, 2020, 12:00:42 PM »
https://www.forbes.com/sites/avivahwittenbergcox/2020/04/13/what-do-countries-with-the-best-coronavirus-reponses-have-in-common-women-leaders/

(Image removed from quote.)

Ok. Not sure why this needs an article, but this coming across my Facebook feed from feminist democrats is such an "Eva Green popping her eyes out" reaction image.
So basically women have put a halt to the entire world economy and caused a massive spike in unemployment and government debt to save 0.1% of the 80 year olds?  :dobbs
🤴

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6306 on: April 14, 2020, 12:04:05 PM »

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #6307 on: April 14, 2020, 12:22:27 PM »
https://www.forbes.com/sites/avivahwittenbergcox/2020/04/13/what-do-countries-with-the-best-coronavirus-reponses-have-in-common-women-leaders/

Ok. Not sure why this needs an article, but this coming across my Facebook feed from feminist democrats is such an "Eva Green popping her eyes out" reaction image.
So basically women have put a halt to the entire world economy and caused a massive spike in unemployment and government debt to save 0.1% of the 80 year olds?  :dobbs

:trumps

That's great and all, but do you notice that we are expected to hold two contradictory ideas in our head?

- Men and women are exactly the same.
- Men and women are different.

It usually goes something like this: Men and women are exactly the same, except when women are portrayed as somehow better. In that case we're different.

It's Navel Gazing bullshit made for "who run the world? women!!!" folks.

it's troubling but also feel kinda crazy because the only ppl worried are super nerds and tech heads like us =/

I guess I'd fit into the super nerd segment, but I'm not too worried about it. Folks will still encrypt (or not). The privacy invasion battle was already lost years ago (Me telling Occam or whoever that Chrome/Android/etc. mines already</aside>) so folks getting paranoid that their "local encrypted" or whatever shit may be criminalized just need to take a breather. Same with location data: That could always be turned off (but Google still mined via the phone telephony).

The major issue is that the governments never regulated the tech companies from getting all this sort of data (Facebook, notable with the Cambridge scandal) to where the Government is now "hmm, maybe mining this data is good/useful" which is the truly WTF moment because the tech companies shouldn't have been getting this sort of shit in the first place to where the NSA/etc. is the ones that should've been doing the leg work/mining instead of the companies themselves.

(But this totally off topic from the virus only than being tangentially related. Could be it's own thread)

As far as the countries reporting their stats: I wouldn't trust ANY countries stats, but that's being tin-foil conspiracy nuttery paranoid.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 12:33:40 PM by thisismyusername »

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #6309 on: April 14, 2020, 12:53:39 PM »
Really don't feel good about the location history tracking Google opened up to gov'ts and the public, and also not a fan of this Apple/Google collaboration to strip more digital rights away.

Scary shit.

This is 9/11 and the Patriot Act all over again. COVID panic might be the tool gov'ts need to finally ban encryption and be applauded for that decision by the electorate.

same, but if you actually read google's disclosure on the data they are more clear about what it is and it's a little less alarming than it first sounds

it only tracks people who have turned location data on, which is off by default (but IIRC they try to get you to turn it on by extolling the benefits)

and the data is also seeded with some noise so no individual can be tracked or exposed, it's for demonstrating broad travel data only

but yes it's not very far to the slippery slope of "well this would be way more useful if we forced location data on for everyone"
Uncle

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #6310 on: April 14, 2020, 03:35:09 PM »
Stats trend down for two days, you again think things have peaked and bam, things shoot back up.
Looking to be a real bad day for the States.

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #6311 on: April 14, 2020, 03:36:27 PM »
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1250075795701334019

Real death cult hours

I'm still surprised Florida hasn't fallen to shit.

Lonewulfeus

• Former Unofficial Ambassador to ResetEra
« Reply #6312 on: April 14, 2020, 03:40:41 PM »

Tripon

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6314 on: April 14, 2020, 03:42:56 PM »
Massively bad day for Canada.  Going to be bad for the US too. 

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #6315 on: April 14, 2020, 04:11:11 PM »
The German state that got hit the hardest during the pandemic wants to open up its schools on Monday. I can’t help but think that it’s a political move by their PM who is tanking in approval ratings, but desperately wants to take Merkel‘s throne.
Laschet can get fuuucked. Hope it blows up in his face. :pacspit

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #6316 on: April 14, 2020, 04:17:33 PM »

Weekend backlog always hits hard. Has been fairly consistent for most countries. UK daily deaths not as bad as I feared but it's been documented there's a fierce administrative lag there, moreso than elsewhere ?
ὕβρις

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #6318 on: April 14, 2020, 04:31:19 PM »
https://twitter.com/ryanstruyk/status/1250145350490427397

Excuse me, that’s 25,000 recovered from coronavirus  :brain

100% cured of Corona for sure, not catching it twice.

Think previous 1-day max is already broken for the USA as well at this moment.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6319 on: April 14, 2020, 04:43:14 PM »

bluemax

« Reply #6320 on: April 14, 2020, 05:00:02 PM »

Scary shit.

same, but if you actually read google's disclosure on the data they are more clear about what it is and it's a little less alarming than it first sounds

it only tracks people who have turned location data on, which is off by default (but IIRC they try to get you to turn it on by extolling the benefits)

and the data is also seeded with some noise so no individual can be tracked or exposed, it's for demonstrating broad travel data only

but yes it's not very far to the slippery slope of "well this would be way more useful if we forced location data on for everyone"

They're also pushing this out in such a way at it doesn't even require an OS update or an opt in download.
NO

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #6321 on: April 14, 2020, 05:02:17 PM »
https://twitter.com/CFIB/status/1250128513195290629
SME = small and medium enterprise
CFIB = Canadian Federation Of Independent Business
22% have have lost all revenue
33% have lost 51% to 99%

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #6322 on: April 14, 2020, 05:19:38 PM »
Royal LePage is delusional:

Six million (out of a workforce of 16ish million) have applied for EI or CERB (which requires zero income at the moment), but don't worry home prices will be basically flat.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #6323 on: April 14, 2020, 05:48:05 PM »
The G9 or G7 or G8 of whatever it is now basically dropped a Czar bomba on their economies.

You need a lot of optimism, booze and brrrrrrr for this one but unemployment is already skyrocketing.
🤴

Pennywise

« Reply #6324 on: April 14, 2020, 06:16:36 PM »

Honestly think it would be great if we could let those people write their finals. But considering the numbers, it just seems like a bad idea to open it for everyone, even if it's gonna be in waves.

Only thing worse than Laschet is Söder gaining traction. The good thing is that Merz had rona and basically cant do shit while others like Söder, Spahn and Laschet are able to present themselves.

Coffee Dog

« Reply #6325 on: April 14, 2020, 07:18:30 PM »
Left the house as little as possible the past few weeks. Had to run to the convenience store to grab something to make dinner (groceries arent showing up till tomorrow).

On the entire drive there and back, despite there being plenty of people out and about, i saw a single (1) other person even bothering wearing a mask. Grim shit.. people are really living in a bubble out here.

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #6326 on: April 14, 2020, 08:11:34 PM »
pending buxxx  :preach

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #6327 on: April 14, 2020, 08:55:15 PM »
Still ain’t got my buxx :maf

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #6328 on: April 14, 2020, 08:57:15 PM »
Went out today food shopping, I only had a scarf to wrap my face in... but thankfully the stores were pretty empty (immediately after work seems like a good time to go) and most of the people there were wearing masks. Still a bit freaked out since my latex glove ripped  :-\
^_^

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #6329 on: April 14, 2020, 09:22:52 PM »
https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1250222429047324672?

This is in spite of unprecedented WW effort to slow it down and poor testing capabilities.

bluemax

« Reply #6330 on: April 14, 2020, 09:36:58 PM »
Went out today food shopping, I only had a scarf to wrap my face in... but thankfully the stores were pretty empty (immediately after work seems like a good time to go) and most of the people there were wearing masks. Still a bit freaked out since my latex glove ripped  :-\

You can't go into stores here without a face covering. A friend of mine told me last night she was at the store and a guy with NUNCHUCKS tried to get in with no face cover and the lady at the door wouldn't let him until he covered his face. He ended up taking off his shirt and using that, so then there was an angry, shirtless guy with NUNCHUCKS in the grocery store.
NO

Tripon

Tripon

« Reply #6332 on: April 14, 2020, 09:46:09 PM »
Washington (CNN)An Indiana congressman said Tuesday that letting more Americans die from the novel coronavirus is the "lesser of two evils" compared with the economy cratering due to social distancing measures.

Speaking with radio station WIBC in Indiana, Republican Rep. Trey Hollingsworth asserted that, while he appreciated the science behind the virus' spread, "it is always the American government's position to say, in the choice between the loss of our way of life as Americans and the loss of life, of American lives, we have to always choose the latter."
"The social scientists are telling us about the economic disaster that is going on. Our (Gross Domestic Product) is supposed to be down 20% alone this quarter," Hollingsworth said. "It is policymakers' decision to put on our big boy and big girl pants and say it is the lesser of these two evils. It is not zero evil, but it is the lesser of these two evils and we intend to move forward that direction. That is our responsibility and to abdicate that is to insult the Americans that voted us into office."
Hollingsworth told CNN, in a statement provided by his office later Tuesday, that "It's hyperbolic to say that the only choices before us are the two corner solutions: no economy or widespread casualties."
https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/14/politics/trey-hollingsworth-coronavirus/index.html?utm_medium=social&utm_content=2020-04-14T23%3A21%3A03&utm_source=twCNNp&utm_term=image

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #6333 on: April 14, 2020, 11:14:48 PM »
bunch of people in this thread saying the same thing but I'm betting as someone in public office you're not really supposed to say that out loud

you just quietly implement the policy changes and let people figure it out on their own
Uncle

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6334 on: April 14, 2020, 11:16:25 PM »
I'm really enjoying comedy bang bang going to zoom. 

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
« Reply #6335 on: April 14, 2020, 11:36:34 PM »
I kinda wish I could get it and get it over with. If there was a pill I could take which would give me it for 2 weeks, I would stock up on groceries and just take the damn thing.

Tripon

« Reply #6336 on: April 14, 2020, 11:39:53 PM »

---

Los Angeles County health officials on Tuesday confirmed 40 more deaths linked to the coronavirus, the highest number reported in a single day.

The county’s death toll now stands at 360, Public Health Department Director Barbara Ferrer said, noting that the mortality rate has increased to 3.6%.

Ferrer confirmed 670 additional COVID-19 cases, bringing the county’s total to more than 10,000. Officials have previously said the case count includes people who have recovered, but there is currently no way to track those numbers.

Of more than 63,000 people who have been tested in the county, 11% were positive. Ferrer said that percentage could indicate that of Los Angeles County’s 10 million residents, “we could have as many as 1 million people at some point in time” who are infected. Of course, not every individual will obtain testing for COVID-19.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-04-14/california-coronavirus-cases-approach-25-000-state-eyes-plans-return-normal

bluemax

« Reply #6337 on: April 15, 2020, 12:33:23 AM »
I forget if the 14th or the 24th was supposed to be the peak in LA. Probably the 24th.
NO

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #6338 on: April 15, 2020, 12:57:56 AM »
Basing on my scientific measure of "what the news is covering" it seems the peak here has already happened as they're starting to go back to accidents and crime instead of reporting on new cases since there hasn't been any.

Plus everyone mad at the governor for banning the purchasing of seeds or paint.

I don't know what Detroit's arc looks like though, the one hospital said they weren't really getting new patients so much as people who already had it getting worse like contracting pneumonia or whatever. Which to me as a layman regarding sicknesses sounds like good news, not for those people obviously, but for everyone else.

Also from the e-mails I get from places, they seem like they want to re-open somewhat or at least start testing the waters. The credit union especially has been spamming about "SETTING UP AN APPOINTMENT IF YOU NEED TO" and "EXPANDED DRIVE-THRU HOURS" when a few weeks ago they were like "GET YOUR MONEY OUT OF THE ATM OR SHUT THE FUCK UP" with like two hours of being open for the drive-thru.

My parents have been going to the store during the "Senior Hours" in the morning and said that there really wasn't anybody yesterday, when there had been lines in the weeks before.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #6339 on: April 15, 2020, 02:23:13 AM »
Got my coronabux, time to spend it on dragon dildos and oreos
fat

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #6341 on: April 15, 2020, 04:01:25 AM »
🤴

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #6342 on: April 15, 2020, 07:26:52 AM »
ASO really, really wants to have the Tour de France at the usual dates. The rest of the cycling schedule is being shifted around, with the Giro and Vuelta taking places after the Tour.

Edit : Actually, I'm wrong, they delayed it to August's end.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 09:37:36 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #6343 on: April 15, 2020, 08:27:14 AM »
bank status: stimulated 8)

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #6344 on: April 15, 2020, 08:34:13 AM »
ὕβρις

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6345 on: April 15, 2020, 09:03:36 AM »
Corona bucks got deposited this morning. 
:leon
ど助平

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #6346 on: April 15, 2020, 09:06:21 AM »
https://twitter.com/CNBCnow/status/1250404873797058563

Nearly 59% of companies reported fewer employees against just 3.3% saying they had more. About 77% said new orders had fallen, while 76% reported a decline in shipments.

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
« Reply #6347 on: April 15, 2020, 09:10:47 AM »
1200 NEETBUX :supergay

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #6348 on: April 15, 2020, 09:19:29 AM »
A court in Nanterre, France slapped Amazon with a legal order to only fulfill food and health related orders for the time being, so as to limit risks to their own workforce.

Amazon is appealing and an economic & social council for the company is about to be convened, with union leaks suggesting they might discuss closing all Amazon centers for five days to review their COVID safety measures as ordered.
ὕβρις

Tasty

« Reply #6349 on: April 15, 2020, 09:34:11 AM »
I've been unemployed or doing contract stuff for the past year+, didn't expect any cornabux, I've been concentrating on Animal Crossing and not following any of this haha, checked my account cause of this thread, holy shit

holy shiiiiit

Tasty

« Reply #6350 on: April 15, 2020, 09:34:47 AM »
Voting Trump in November

#UBI #YangGang :salute

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #6351 on: April 15, 2020, 09:38:12 AM »
as long as you filed taxes in 2018 or 2019 you get dough from my understanding (or if you are on disability/social security). also on the plus side i'm now out of credit card debt :D

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #6352 on: April 15, 2020, 09:40:41 AM »
Got that fat cash injection, thanks, Obama

Tasty

« Reply #6353 on: April 15, 2020, 09:40:59 AM »
as long as you filed taxes in 2018 or 2019 you get dough from my understanding (or if you are on disability/social security). also on the plus side i'm now out of credit card debt :D

Yeah like I said I've been keeping my head in the comforting sands of Animal Crossing for north of three weeks straight now. :lol And honestly reality's shit on me so much in the last year I really just wrote off the whole thing. This is a really incredible surprise to wake up to.

Coffee Dog

« Reply #6354 on: April 15, 2020, 09:44:55 AM »
Got my brrr. Paying bills, but hey, I'm not complaining  :lol

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #6355 on: April 15, 2020, 09:51:12 AM »
https://twitter.com/globalnews/status/1250411195284283393

Note: Ontario, for example, didn't order closures until March 17. And even then, Ontario kept open manufacturing facilities, construction sites, and office buildings. A week later, the province ordered the closure of non-essential businesses, with a ton of businesses deemed essential. Finally, in April, Ontario reduced the number of businesses deemed "essential."

In other words, if the GDP fell by 9% in March, it will fall 30% (from Feb's numbers) in April.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #6356 on: April 15, 2020, 09:56:12 AM »

Yeah like I said I've been keeping my head in the comforting sands of Animal Crossing for north of three weeks straight now. :lol And honestly reality's shit on me so much in the last year I really just wrote off the whole thing. This is a really incredible surprise to wake up to.

Buy yourself a nice vape cart and ... get back to animal crossing *laughs in animalese*

Tasty

« Reply #6357 on: April 15, 2020, 09:58:05 AM »
Gonna buy at least two so I can really rip through 'em while I play. :D

BisMarckie

« Reply #6358 on: April 15, 2020, 10:11:41 AM »

Looks like they are already backpedaling, I am all for it blowing up in his face if it didn't mean millions of kids, teachers and parents being potentially exposed to the virus.  :-\

I think Söder is handling this crisis the best and emerged from the crisis as the politician with a clear and stringent vision. We live in a weird timeline  :doge

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #6359 on: April 15, 2020, 10:26:02 AM »
I think Söder is handling this crisis the best and emerged from the crisis as the politician with a clear and stringent vision. We live in a weird timeline  :doge
That was an odd turn. I wrote it off as self-promotion initially.