Author Topic: Corona Thread |OT| Nu variant, who dis?  (Read 1081746 times)

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
Re: Corona Thread |OT| Money-printer goes BRRRR
« Reply #7620 on: May 06, 2020, 08:20:17 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

NJ taking the lead in daily deaths. Is it the people who have to commute to NY, plus the disrepair of their large cities?
Too soon. 752 deaths for NY.

2500+ for the US.

thanks tripon, way to fucking go

:yeshrug

Tripon

« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 11:23:02 PM by Tripon »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #7623 on: May 06, 2020, 11:07:19 PM »
He put the little prick in charge of little pricks. 

bluemax

« Reply #7624 on: May 07, 2020, 12:00:39 AM »
How soon until Jared calls up Elizabeth Holmes?
NO

Tripon

« Reply #7625 on: May 07, 2020, 12:10:44 AM »
The head of Sweden's coronavirus response said in a new interview that the country's high death toll had "come as a surprise" and was "really something we worry a lot about."

The state epidemiologist Anders Tegnell told "The Daily Show" that the Swedish strategy had still been successful in many ways.

But he said the no-lockdown strategy was not a conscious decision in favor of more deaths — instead he said the outsize toll was not part of the plan.

About half of Sweden's deaths have been in nursing homes, which prohibit visitors. Tegnell said health officials had thought it would be easier to keep the disease away from them.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/head-swedens-no-lockdown-coronavirus-100111923.html
---

« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 01:38:28 AM by Tripon »

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #7626 on: May 07, 2020, 02:05:17 AM »

team filler

• filler
  • filler

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #7628 on: May 07, 2020, 05:15:18 AM »
South Korea wants to ship gift masks to foreign vets of the ONU mandated force in the Korean War to commemorate the 70th anniversary since the hostilities.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #7629 on: May 07, 2020, 05:24:08 AM »
Germany is under the radar but their fatality numbers certainly did rise in the 200 a day range somewhat frequently. They still appear to have done a much better job so far than all the other major Western Europe countries but it did catch up a bit.

Less confirmed deaths than Belgium still so...
ὕβρις

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #7630 on: May 07, 2020, 06:59:13 AM »
https://www.theroot.com/georgia-gov-brian-kemp-i-totally-messed-up-reopening-1843292744

#Oops

How long until Florida and California and other states admit it?

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #7631 on: May 07, 2020, 08:28:05 AM »
The United States: We tried lockdown measures--we kind of tried them (in most states), and they didn't work (and they weren't necessary). Sure, it worked in densely populated countries, highly reliant on public transit--but that makes it easier! Also, this is the flu.

Flannel Boy

• Icon

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #7633 on: May 07, 2020, 09:55:10 AM »
I don't doubt more people are dying at home, but I imagine there are a ton of people who are afraid to go to the hospital with heart conditions and are dying of strokes at home. My siblings and I had to talk our 71 year old mother into going to the hospital for heart palpitations recently. She turned out to be okay, but if left to her own devices she would've just sat with it.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/04/23/coronavirus-phobia-keeping-heart-patients-away-from-er/

A survey of nine major hospitals earlier this month showed the number of severe heart attacks being treated in U.S hospitals had dropped by nearly 40% since the novel coronavirus took hold in March

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #7635 on: May 07, 2020, 11:01:42 AM »
Are people sleeping on Vitamin D deficiency and COVID-19 mortality?

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #7636 on: May 07, 2020, 11:07:20 AM »

I have a vitamin d deficiency  :-\ I do take supplements.. not sure how much that helps.
^_^

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #7637 on: May 07, 2020, 11:46:07 AM »
i dunno how much the supplement helps but i do take it and try and spend at least a little time in the sun every day, even if its just a walk around the block.

thisismyusername

« Reply #7638 on: May 07, 2020, 12:07:45 PM »

More seriously: I'm like a vampire. The only sunlight I get is going between buildings to cars, the car drive, and that's about it. :doge If COVID wants to kill a computer nerd, that's it's prerogative (and I welcome to sweet embrace of death)

Tripon

« Reply #7639 on: May 07, 2020, 12:10:46 PM »

---

From what I understand, your body will just shit out Vitamin supplements if it's not needed.

thisismyusername

« Reply #7640 on: May 07, 2020, 12:12:15 PM »
From what I understand, your body will just shit out Vitamin supplements if it's not needed.

Teepo, time to test your shits. :doge

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #7642 on: May 07, 2020, 12:18:51 PM »
"it wasn't me, it was the third armed man"  :-[

Tripon

« Reply #7643 on: May 07, 2020, 12:31:09 PM »
I saw some people freaking out that Ventura county contract tracing team is going to actually do what contract tracing does and isolate known cases. Which might means giving that person a hotel room or trailer to live in while they're infected because they need their own bathroom so they don't give the rona to other people.

BisMarckie

« Reply #7644 on: May 07, 2020, 12:33:03 PM »
https://twitter.com/AndrewCMcCarthy/status/1258154195104018432

:thinking

I've contemplated becoming a robber. 

Let's get an Air b'nb in Portland for a month and team up and make some money bro.

Don‘t wear tight pants tho, people will be able to recognize your huge bulge. :uguu

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #7645 on: May 07, 2020, 12:50:42 PM »
The US is over 75,000 total deaths.

Flannel Boy

• Icon

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7647 on: May 07, 2020, 12:59:47 PM »

Not great, but not terrible.
dog

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #7648 on: May 07, 2020, 01:22:54 PM »
Quebec
Apr 2, 2020: 907 new cases
. . .
May 6, 2020: 910 new cases
May 7, 2020: 911 new cases

stufte

• Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior
« Reply #7649 on: May 07, 2020, 01:30:41 PM »

A month ago there were 12,600 deaths in the US. It was at 60,000 5 days ago. A month ago the expected deathcount was lowered to 50-60k and we'll almost assuredly hit 80k by Monday. That seems pretty terrible, imo.

It's a Chernobyl quote.  :lol

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #7650 on: May 07, 2020, 01:37:11 PM »
91% of Quebec's deaths have been in those 70 years or older.

I decided to compare that to Illinois, which has detailed stats and a similar death count. Only 68% of Illinois' deaths have been in those 70 or over.

I think this goes away if I control for race.

edit:
Not exactly.
Illinois
82% of white deaths are 70 or over.
73% of Asian deaths are 70 or over.
60% of black deaths are 70 or over.
49% of Hispanic deaths are 70 or over.

Whites skew older, but that seems much.

Percentage of COVID-19 deaths white-non-Hispanic:
20-29 0%
30-39 16%
40-49 10%
50-59 20%
60-69 30%
70-79 42%
80+   56%
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 01:48:56 PM by Flannel Boy »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7651 on: May 07, 2020, 01:44:53 PM »
Russia's not looking too good right now. They've had 10k-11k new cases every day for the past 6 days. Deaths are still pretty low considering how many cases they have, but that number is going up, too.
dog

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #7652 on: May 07, 2020, 01:45:13 PM »
Quebec
Apr 2, 2020: 907 new cases
. . .
May 6, 2020: 910 new cases
May 7, 2020: 911 new cases
only 4 new cases between ap 2 and may 7 seems p good  :doge

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #7653 on: May 07, 2020, 01:48:09 PM »
Russia's not looking too good right now. They've had 10k-11k new cases every day for the past 6 days. Deaths are still pretty low considering how many cases they have, but that number is going up, too.

In Russia, death counts you.

Oblivion

« Reply #7654 on: May 07, 2020, 02:03:12 PM »

A month ago there were 12,600 deaths in the US. It was at 60,000 5 days ago. A month ago the expected deathcount was lowered to 50-60k and we'll almost assuredly hit 80k by Monday. That seems pretty terrible, imo.

It's a Chernobyl quote.  :lol

legit thought rumbler was quoting trump

team filler

• filler
  • filler

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #7656 on: May 07, 2020, 03:43:38 PM »
https://twitter.com/808constituent/status/1258456889475522560

:pimp

We need to start responding to every Trump tweet with this to get him to legalize pot.

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #7657 on: May 07, 2020, 06:41:35 PM »

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #7658 on: May 07, 2020, 06:57:52 PM »
https://twitter.com/808constituent/status/1258456889475522560

:pimp

We need to start responding to every Trump tweet with this to get him to legalize pot.
Isn't it legal in a whole bunch of states already?

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #7659 on: May 07, 2020, 07:07:04 PM »
https://www.koco.com/article/police-identify-woman-accused-of-firing-shots-at-mcdonalds-after-she-was-told-dining-room-was-closed/32403518

According to police, the suspect entered the restaurant and was told by employees the dining area was closed. She was asked to leave but refused, and police said a physical altercation ensued between the suspect and an employee.

Police said the suspect was then forced out of the restaurant by employees. She reentered the restaurant with a handgun and fired about three rounds in the restaurant, according to police.

One employee was hit in the arm, a second was hit with shrapnel in the neck/shoulder area and a third employee was hit with shrapnel in the side, police said. The employee who was involved in the initial physical confrontation suffered a head injury. The cause of this injury in unclear, according to police.

Injuries to the four employees were non-life-threatening. Three of the employees were taken to a local hospital, police said.

The suspect, later identified as 32-year-old Gloricia Woody, was found a few blocks south of the McDonald’s and taken into custody without incident.

Tripon

« Reply #7660 on: May 07, 2020, 07:18:41 PM »
At the end of another long shift treating coronavirus patients, Dr. Hadi Halazun opened his Facebook page to find a man insisting to him that "no one's dying" and that the coronavirus is "fake news" drummed up by the news media.

Hadi tried to engage and explain his firsthand experience with the virus. In reply, another user insinuated that he wasn't a real doctor, saying pictures from his profile showing him at concerts and music festivals proved it.

"I told them: 'I am a real doctor. There are 200 people in my hospital's ICU,'" said Halazun, a cardiologist in New York. "And they said, 'Give me your credentials.' I engaged with them, and they kicked me off their wall."

"I left work and I felt so deflated. I let it get to me."

Halazun, like many other health care professionals, is dealing with a bombardment of misinformation and harassment from conspiracy theorists, some of whom have moved beyond posting online to pressing doctors for proof of the severity of the pandemic.

And it's taking a toll. Halazun said dealing with conspiracy theorists is the "second most painful thing I've had to deal with, other than separation of families from their loved one."

Several other doctors shared similar experiences, saying that they regularly had to treat patients who had sought care too late because of conspiracy theories spread on social media and that social media companies have to do more to counteract the forces that spread lies for profit.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/doing-doctors-fed-conspiracies-ravaging-214800418.html

remy

• my hog is small but it is mighty
« Reply #7662 on: May 07, 2020, 10:46:06 PM »
Thought i had the rona because I got a weird rash on my foot but it was just a staph infection. is that better?  :doge

Tripon

« Reply #7663 on: May 07, 2020, 10:52:58 PM »
https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/496709-chinese-researchers-detect-covid-19-in-human-semen

Researchers of a small study conducted in China detected COVID-19 in semen of patients hospitalized with the disease, according to a study published Thursday.

The researchers found that COVID-19 was present in the semen of six of 38 patients who participated and supplied a sample, according to the study published in JAMA Network Open.

Researchers detected the virus in semen from four men who were still very sick with the infection as well as from two who were recovering.

The study did not, however, address whether it is possible for COVID-19 to be sexually transmitted.

The study was conducted on patients with confirmed COVID-19 at the Shangqui Municipal hospital, a designated COVID-19 treatment hospital.

Authors of the study noted that the study was limited by a small sample size and short subsequent follow-up.

The results contrast a study of 34 Chinese men with COVID-19 published last month in the journal Fertility and Sterility in which U.S. and Chinese researchers found no evidence of the virus in semen tested between eight days and almost three months after diagnosis, The Associated Press reports.

The co-author of that report, John Hotaling of the University of Utah, told AP the new study involved men that were much sicker.

Peter Schlegel, the immediate past president of The American Society for Reproductive Medicine, told AP the new study should not be cause for alarm, but said for safety “it may be wise to avoid sexual contact with men until they are 14 days without symptoms.”

----

Research indicates that infected travelers from New York transmitted nearly 65% of new coronavirus cases across the US, according to The New York Times.

The genetic signature of the strain of the virus prevalent in New York connect it to outbreaks in Europe, while the infections in Washington state were linked to China, scientists found.

Enforcing stay-at-home orders earlier would have helped cut down on the infection's transmission.

Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.

Thousands of travelers carried the coronavirus from New York around the United States in early March, triggering most of the new cases that erupted nationwide.

The New York Times reported on Thursday that tiny genetic mutations helped researchers track between 60% and 65% of new infections back to the outbreak in the country's biggest city.

"We now have enough data to feel pretty confident that New York was the primary gateway for the rest of the country," Nathan Grubagh, of the Yale School of Public Health, told the Times.

Grubagh said that introducing social-distancing guidelines earlier would have helped reduce the disease's spread.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/people-traveled-york-across-us-005500313.html
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 11:00:25 PM by Tripon »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #7664 on: May 08, 2020, 12:33:16 AM »
Well, now we know how your mom got it.
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Drinking all that cum. 
[close]

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Glug glug glug
[close]

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #7665 on: May 08, 2020, 01:33:52 AM »
Thought i had the rona because I got a weird rash on my foot but it was just a staph infection. is that better?  :doge

I still wouldn’t touch my face with it, just to be safe.
©@©™

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #7666 on: May 08, 2020, 05:15:00 AM »
Brazil  :corona_mj
ὕβρις

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #7667 on: May 08, 2020, 08:49:52 AM »
https://twitter.com/BloombergCA/status/1258727787827003393
That's fewer job losses than predicted or would be indicated by CERB applications (I know of several people who are receiving it who aren't close to being qualified). 

Flannel Boy

• Icon

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #7669 on: May 08, 2020, 09:07:46 AM »
The chi-coms and soros will stop at nothing to bring down trump :stahp
(ice)

thisismyusername

« Reply #7670 on: May 08, 2020, 10:39:43 AM »
DRILL BABY DRILL.

Let's get that unemployment up to 25%. YEE-HAW.

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #7671 on: May 08, 2020, 11:24:57 AM »
https://twitter.com/alleniverson/status/1258608013964910593
Iverson has always been careful. He always made sure that the basketball was never six-feet near a teammate.

Svejk

« Reply #7672 on: May 08, 2020, 12:55:09 PM »
Murder Hornets pose no threat to Japanese honey bees.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheBrandonMorse/status/1257684688099069953

Leadbelly

« Reply #7673 on: May 08, 2020, 02:36:04 PM »

It depends which way you look at it to be honest. As Rumbler said, it isn't great, but in terms of population and in terms of the number of confirmed cases, it isn't terrible. If you adjust for population alone it would be lower than a number of countries. And deaths relative to confirmed cases is lower than some.

Bebpo

« Reply #7674 on: May 08, 2020, 03:30:27 PM »
The chi-coms and soros will stop at nothing to bring down trump :stahp

What's Chi-com? I've seen this mentioned a couple times recently but afraid to look it up and get a bunch of conspiracy google hits.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7675 on: May 08, 2020, 03:33:01 PM »
Chinese communists
dog

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #7676 on: May 08, 2020, 03:34:24 PM »
chinese communists as popularized by alex jones[pbuh]

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #7677 on: May 08, 2020, 03:35:32 PM »
Got my first unemployment check today, thank god

thisismyusername

« Reply #7678 on: May 08, 2020, 03:43:06 PM »
One of Pence's staff members also tested positive :jeb

Now if only Pence could catch it and HIV, then it'd be sasuga.

Tripon

« Reply #7679 on: May 08, 2020, 03:46:01 PM »
It was Katie Miller, wife to Stephen Miller.

https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/1258840126534361089