Author Topic: Corona Thread |OT| Nu variant, who dis?  (Read 1081756 times)

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
Re: Corona Thread |OT| The Curse of La Rona
« Reply #8400 on: May 23, 2020, 06:10:36 AM »
Bill gates has grown bored of his weather weapons and is now trying to play eugenics with the entire population of earth :fbm
(ice)

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #8401 on: May 23, 2020, 07:55:48 AM »
I honestly don't know how the US comes back from all this crazyness.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #8402 on: May 23, 2020, 08:07:54 AM »
it's over dude
pcp

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #8403 on: May 23, 2020, 09:49:06 AM »
Are other countries making this a left vs right issue or are we really that fucked up
Brazil comes to mind. UK started with the wrong response.

Countries with centre-right (or centre-right coalition) governments (or PMs) that seemed to have handled it well: Austria, Australia, Estonia, Czech Republic, Greece, Latvia, Slovakia, Hungary, Germany, Japan. Most Canadian provinces have centre-right governments, and they generally responded well.

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #8404 on: May 23, 2020, 10:06:03 AM »
CDC is publishing nonsense?
https://twitter.com/CT_Bergstrom/status/1263605696844623873

Studies from the UK, Spain, France, Sweden, and NYC all point to an IFR (not a CFR) of ~1%. The CDC is saying the CFR is 0.4%--which means the IFR is lower than that. A systemic review has the IFR at 0.74%. And that review used the the bullshit Santa Clara study (not random, test not approved by the FDA, statistical errors, not taking into account false positives, etc), which lowered the overall estimate.

Here is the Imperial College estimated IFR for all US states vs. the CDC's.

https://twitter.com/CT_Bergstrom/status/1263683417859735552

CDC vs. the systematic review:

https://twitter.com/CT_Bergstrom/status/1263988461163298817

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night

Occam

« Reply #8406 on: May 23, 2020, 10:51:19 AM »
Yeah, that has been reported several times now.

Occam

« Reply #8407 on: May 23, 2020, 10:56:45 AM »
Study estimates 24 US states still have uncontrolled coronavirus spread

The coronavirus may still be spreading at epidemic rates in 24 states, particularly in the South and Midwest, according to new research that highlights the risk of a second wave of infections in places that reopen too quickly or without sufficient precautions.

Researchers at Imperial College London created a model that incorporates cellphone data showing that people sharply reduced their movements after stay-at-home orders were broadly imposed in March. With restrictions now easing and mobility increasing with the approach of Memorial Day and the unofficial start of summer, the researchers developed an estimate of viral spread as of May 17.
[...]
The model shows potentially ominous scenarios if people move around as they did previously and do so without taking precautions. In California and Florida, the death rate could spike to roughly 1,000 a day by July without efforts to mitigate the spread, according to the report.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/study-estimates-24-states-still-have-uncontrolled-coronavirus-spread/2020/05/22/d3032470-9c43-11ea-ac72-3841fcc9b35f_story.html

Not enough praying, obviously.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 11:01:09 AM by Occam »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #8409 on: May 23, 2020, 11:14:20 AM »
For a while it was the exact opposite in The Netherlands. Old leftie boomers wrote op-ed's how 'quality of life' was more important than the duration.
And that's why they would ignore the lockdown and continue to move around cities like Amsterdam.
🤴

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #8410 on: May 23, 2020, 11:22:02 AM »
Are other countries making this a left vs right issue or are we really that fucked up
Brazil comes to mind. UK started with the wrong response.

Countries with centre-right (or centre-right coalition) governments (or PMs) that seemed to have handled it well: Austria, Australia, Estonia, Czech Republic, Greece, Latvia, Slovakia, Hungary, Germany, Japan. Most Canadian provinces have centre-right governments, and they generally responded well.

I guess I'm thinking more the population where one side takes it seriously and the other side thinks it is a hoax and won't follow the rules until they themselves get sick and die
There are some in Canada, just not anywhere close to the extent in the US.

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #8411 on: May 23, 2020, 12:54:28 PM »
https://twitter.com/JoshuaPotash/status/1263957793293336579

I was like 'what bumblefuck county is Bexar? I wonder how many ICU beds they even have?' Googled and it's fucking San Antonio RIP  :lol

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #8412 on: May 23, 2020, 12:55:10 PM »
Fuck dude, I also assumed it was some nowhereville

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #8413 on: May 23, 2020, 01:03:22 PM »
I guess I'm thinking more the population where one side takes it seriously and the other side thinks it is a hoax and won't follow the rules until they themselves get sick and die
We do have a few conspiracy idiots (including the "5G caused it" variety) and small protests from people who are concerned about government overreach, but I'm not seeing a strong left-right divide. Nobody with any power thinks or pretends that it's a hoax.

I'm largely ignoring the coverage now, since I'm just fed up with the topic.

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #8414 on: May 23, 2020, 02:14:27 PM »
I live in Parkersburg, West Virginia. The home city of the DuPont plant that filled the valley with Teflon and caused lots of delicious cancer. The city that was the subject of the movie Dark Water. The same city that STILL lashes out against people who blame DuPont for any of it.

No one is wearing masks. They're not even protesting because who gives a shit, they're just not wearing masks. Our restaurants were absolutely packed Friday night. We have a low infection rate because, let's face it the whole state is basically rural and we might as well have invented social distancing - we hate everybody. The absolute anger and acidity surrounding this as a plot against Donald Trump is... well not surprising. I hope it stays this low.
rub

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #8415 on: May 23, 2020, 02:29:34 PM »
local restaurants are opening up for dine-in following county guidelines  :doge

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #8416 on: May 23, 2020, 02:37:59 PM »
Same with my county as of today... the restaurants at least up here on the Mt haven’t opened back up yet though.

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #8417 on: May 23, 2020, 03:07:41 PM »
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1264196591054880769

In Brazil, 15 percent of deaths have been people under 50 — a rate more than 10 times greater than in Italy or Spain. In Mexico, the trend is even more stark: Nearly one-fourth of the dead have been between 25 and 49. In India, officials reported this month that nearly half of the dead were younger than 60. In Rio de Janeiro state, more than two-thirds of hospitalizations are for people younger than 49.

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
每天生气

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #8419 on: May 23, 2020, 04:11:37 PM »
neera got da covid  :lol

Bebpo

« Reply #8420 on: May 23, 2020, 06:00:34 PM »

Yup, one of the gals in my friends group was like "road trip morning!" and drove almost 2 hours just to go to a county that had opened up so she can dine-in.

:derp

She's also a nurse and another nurse at her location was diagnosed covid-19 positive and she's not going to get tested and is just making up excuses why she keeps enough distance that she's fine and doesn't need to get tested.

I don't know if I will still be friends with any of this group when this is all over.

Tuckers Law

« Reply #8421 on: May 23, 2020, 06:17:45 PM »

I was like 'what bumblefuck county is Bexar? I wonder how many ICU beds they even have?' Googled and it's fucking San Antonio RIP  :lol

This is going to have some big repercussions.  San Antonio is the florida of texas, it has a shitload of older population.  I hope Austin steps up our safety measures to help combat this fuckery from spreading through the I35 corridor.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #8422 on: May 23, 2020, 06:29:42 PM »
the florida of texas  :lol

Kestastrophe

• "Hero" isn't the right word, but its the first word that comes to mind
« Reply #8423 on: May 23, 2020, 07:17:35 PM »

"Promegated"

:dead
jon

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #8425 on: May 23, 2020, 08:47:34 PM »

Yup, one of the gals in my friends group was like "road trip morning!" and drove almost 2 hours just to go to a county that had opened up so she can dine-in.

:derp

She's also a nurse and another nurse at her location was diagnosed covid-19 positive and she's not going to get tested and is just making up excuses why she keeps enough distance that she's fine and doesn't need to get tested.

I don't know if I will still be friends with any of this group when this is all over.

You really shouldn't waste your time on them.

Boredfrom

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #8427 on: May 23, 2020, 10:49:38 PM »
wtf everything is opening up

Gonna hold the line for a fortnight, at least

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #8428 on: May 23, 2020, 10:58:30 PM »
Went to a Subway for the first time to get dinner. Most of the building is cleared out, the tables propped up next to the counter to make a "buffer" and a few tables still for "dine-in" ruling per county.

Nobody there but me and one of the employees. Who isn't wearing a mask. :beli At least they were polite enough and washed their hands and put on gloves/etc. But geez.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #8429 on: May 23, 2020, 10:59:31 PM »
why are yall playing russian roulette for shit like subway and little ceasars
pcp

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #8430 on: May 23, 2020, 11:01:33 PM »
ITT: people going out while complaining about people going out

shosta

« Reply #8432 on: May 23, 2020, 11:07:45 PM »
Obviously it's fine if you go out every once in a while (read: once a week groceries and maybe once a week other reason). Don't go to crowded areas for extended periods of time, always wear a mask, try to wear gloves. Avoid small rooms at all costs. Don't eat indoors - maybe outdoor tables are ok. If you want to see a (close) friend, try to be infrequent about it. All this depends heavily on the intensity of outbreak in your area. If you're still working in person, get tested if you can. And remember: you can't get coronavirus from eating ass.
每天生气

shosta

« Reply #8433 on: May 23, 2020, 11:16:14 PM »
That picture is crazy btw, don't do that
每天生气

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #8434 on: May 23, 2020, 11:29:44 PM »
why are yall playing russian roulette for shit like subway and little ceasars

I was tired and lazy.

Besides, if I die of Corona it'd be doing me a favor. :trumps

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #8435 on: May 23, 2020, 11:56:36 PM »
I'm basically skipping the first two weeks that shit opens up here. I mean I'll continue my fast food/ pizza take out trips I've been doing now and then, but like hell I'm going to be dinning in early on when things open up.

bluemax

« Reply #8436 on: May 24, 2020, 01:39:51 AM »
Study estimates 24 US states still have uncontrolled coronavirus spread

The coronavirus may still be spreading at epidemic rates in 24 states, particularly in the South and Midwest, according to new research that highlights the risk of a second wave of infections in places that reopen too quickly or without sufficient precautions.

Researchers at Imperial College London created a model that incorporates cellphone data showing that people sharply reduced their movements after stay-at-home orders were broadly imposed in March. With restrictions now easing and mobility increasing with the approach of Memorial Day and the unofficial start of summer, the researchers developed an estimate of viral spread as of May 17.
[...]
The model shows potentially ominous scenarios if people move around as they did previously and do so without taking precautions. In California and Florida, the death rate could spike to roughly 1,000 a day by July without efforts to mitigate the spread, according to the report.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/study-estimates-24-states-still-have-uncontrolled-coronavirus-spread/2020/05/22/d3032470-9c43-11ea-ac72-3841fcc9b35f_story.html

Not enough praying, obviously.

I really am surprised that California is opening as fast as it is. Must be the economic pressure or just hospital capacity because cases are still up daily in LA. Mind you the rate they're up is about half of what it was 2 weeks ago, but still its always up.
NO

Bebpo

« Reply #8437 on: May 24, 2020, 01:41:05 AM »

You know, I'd love to see a reporter on air ask them

"But President Trump says it's real and talks about fighting it all the time, are you saying that President Trump is a liar?"

Tripon

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #8439 on: May 24, 2020, 10:17:10 AM »

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #8441 on: May 24, 2020, 10:48:18 AM »

https://twitter.com/greg_bonnell/status/1264376044062150656

I laughed at that tweet.

Most tweets I've seen are from boomers who live in houses with large backyards, or live in areas with low density, and thus have access to fairly empty parks. This is the biggest park in an area with tens and tens of thousands of Millennials and Zoomers living in tiny, newly built shoe boxes in the sky, boxes that cost $.5 to 1 million or $2,500 a month to rent. The current options are stay in the shoe box (like they have for ten weeks) or go to a park. Most of the other parks are just as crowded (I live in the neighborhood). Blame forty years of shitty city planning.

My only issue is the large individual groups. That said, the coronavirus is not is transmitted efficiently outdoors. Outbreaks happen at homes, transit, meat packing plants, churches, offices, restaurants etc.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #8442 on: May 24, 2020, 10:54:19 AM »
It's more the obvious disregard for the risk that indicates that they are doing risky things in other parts of life.  Also, I highly doubt those are family groups and not just friends getting together. 

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #8443 on: May 24, 2020, 11:15:55 AM »
Nothing was stopping the friends from getting together in the past 10 weeks either.

At some point people have to get over this idea of people congregating in open places. Life is going to have to go on at some point. One step at a time.

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #8444 on: May 24, 2020, 11:18:43 AM »
It's more the obvious disregard for the risk that indicates that they are doing risky things in other parts of life.  Also, I highly doubt those are family groups and not just friends getting together.

As I said, my issue was the large groups. Clearly, they don’t live together. That said, people would be freaking out just as much if the park was just as crowded, but everyone was in groups of 2-4.

That may indicate they are doing other risky or that this is the only time they get to see their friends (again this doesn’t transmit well outdoors).

Tripon

« Reply #8445 on: May 24, 2020, 11:21:58 AM »
The risk with outside groups is being like that is everyone sitting down, IMO. The longer you spend time in a crowded group, the longer time an infected person can infect somebody else, outdoors, indoors, etc.

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #8446 on: May 24, 2020, 11:44:28 AM »
The risk with outside groups is being like that is everyone sitting down, IMO. The longer you spend time in a crowded group, the longer time an infected person can infect somebody else, outdoors, indoors, etc.
Ideally, they shouldn't be doing this. But I think it's unrealistic to expect Zoomers to stay locked up in their tiny condos away from their friends indefinitely. Yes, if they do meet up with their friends, they should wear masks (the one time my partner met with a friend they both wore masks).

"outdoors, indoors, etc." Probability matters.

Anyway, I probably shouldn't be defending the park-goers. Ontario is trending in the wrong direction.

This is the highest number of new cases reported in Ontario since May 8.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #8447 on: May 24, 2020, 11:51:46 AM »
They're opening the beaches here on LI this weekend, I'm staying far the fuck away though. We're expected to have "phase 1" of reopening (curbside pickup, which we... have?, construction, etc) in mid June provided the numbers hold, with gradual reopening every 2 weeks onward. I still think it's a bit too premature, and I can only imagine the stink that the entitled alt-right karens (and what's the male equivalent of karen?) will have when deaths get out of hand again and Cuomo decides another shutdown is in order. We've still been averaging about 120 cases a day in Nassau and Suffolk counties (of a total population of ~2.8 million).
^_^

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #8448 on: May 24, 2020, 12:21:42 PM »
I'm sorry, but it's completely reasonable to think that these huge outdoor congregations (and let's not pretend it's just outdoors) are fucking stupid when NO acceptable measures have been taken to isolate the virus in this country. we do not have to accept that socialization will come with the risk of death from this point on; that's just beyond ridiculous.
pcp

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #8449 on: May 24, 2020, 12:33:27 PM »
Submitted my claim this morning, will be shitting myself for two days hoping it processes. Shit, or longer because holiday

EditToAdd: there’s notice when you file that says “you are considered seeking work if you’re able and willing to do so once the state and local emergencies declarations are no longer in effect” and straight up tells you to mark the temp thing, so if it does crap out like I expect, I feel confident that I have a strong appeal case.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 01:41:03 PM by CatsCatsCats »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

Kestastrophe

• "Hero" isn't the right word, but its the first word that comes to mind
« Reply #8451 on: May 24, 2020, 02:09:08 PM »
jon

shosta

« Reply #8452 on: May 24, 2020, 02:13:18 PM »
The president can go golfing if he wants and being mad about it is the dumbest thing on both sides of the political discourse. Keeping him out of the White House while career officials try to get something, anything done in his absence is so much more productive anyway.
每天生气

Bebpo

« Reply #8453 on: May 24, 2020, 02:16:20 PM »
I'm sorry, but it's completely reasonable to think that these huge outdoor congregations (and let's not pretend it's just outdoors) are fucking stupid when NO acceptable measures have been taken to isolate the virus in this country. we do not have to accept that socialization will come with the risk of death from this point on; that's just beyond ridiculous.

Yeah, a lot of people are saying we can't do this forever, we have to let people live.

But man, it's been two months, that's fucking pathetic. Let's talk about that in six months. It's because people are fucking rushing to get back out because they can't go 8 weeks without hanging with friends in person that this virus is not getting under control at all. If people were better disciplined like in a lot of countries in Asia, and could just follow procedure for a handful of months this virus would be mostly under control and people could go back out and do the things they want.

The virus is killing the west because people have no patience.

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #8454 on: May 24, 2020, 02:16:31 PM »
I’d be more mad at that flattering depiction of ol stinky doody pants drumpfs stomach tbh

:biden
(ice)

shosta

« Reply #8455 on: May 24, 2020, 02:23:30 PM »
If people were better disciplined like in a lot of countries in Asia, and could just follow procedure for a handful of months this virus would be mostly under control and people could go back out and do the things they want.

Most of the Asian countries (Japan, SK, Taiwan, Sinagpore) had fast, early responses with high compliance. It's easier to get people to do what you ask when all you're asking is for them to wear masks, wash their hands, and get tested. In China, the Wuhan lockdown was enforced with the military and robust state aid. And by the way, in most of the country, social distancing never exceeded two months. So, yeah, I think it is kind of crazy to expect people to just go along with this for this long, especially when half the political leadership is mewling about it the whole way and sabotaging the response. We set ourselves up to fail in a huge way.
每天生气

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #8457 on: May 24, 2020, 04:22:32 PM »
If people were better disciplined like in a lot of countries in Asia, and could just follow procedure for a handful of months this virus would be mostly under control and people could go back out and do the things they want.

Most of the Asian countries (Japan, SK, Taiwan, Sinagpore) had fast, early responses with high compliance. It's easier to get people to do what you ask when all you're asking is for them to wear masks, wash their hands, and get tested. In China, the Wuhan lockdown was enforced with the military and robust state aid. And by the way, in most of the country, social distancing never exceeded two months. So, yeah, I think it is kind of crazy to expect people to just go along with this for this long, especially when half the political leadership is mewling about it the whole way and sabotaging the response. We set ourselves up to fail in a huge way.

so a normal response would be to demand effective and widespread testing and financial support for individuals and small businesses. a stupid dipfuck response would be to talk about how it's our right to go out to eat while forcing millions to choose between poverty or low wage jobs in unsafe environments. 
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 04:38:54 PM by Positive Touch »
pcp

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #8458 on: May 24, 2020, 04:28:24 PM »

ok but what we called a lockdown was around the level of what other countries did after opening up

shosta

« Reply #8459 on: May 24, 2020, 04:34:40 PM »
ok but what we called a lockdown was around the level of what other countries did after opening up
::) Japan barely did shit and that chick who used to post here and now does videogame translations in SK has been in nightclubs every week nonstop for months :lol meanwhile, New York had to dig a mass grave. The difference is super clear, you didn't have to do a whole lot to keep your country safe, you just had to... do it!
每天生气