Author Topic: Corona Thread |OT| Nu variant, who dis?  (Read 1081802 times)

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
Re: Corona Thread |OT| The Curse of La Rona
« Reply #8700 on: June 02, 2020, 08:34:43 PM »
vaccines will only be distributed to those who pledge their undying loyalty to herr trump
pcp

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #8701 on: June 02, 2020, 08:50:41 PM »
https://coloradosun.com/2020/06/02/colorado-police-accountability-bill/

edit wrong thread, but separate threads other than the One Thread of Life is fake news
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 09:24:29 PM by Madrun Badrun »

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #8702 on: June 02, 2020, 08:57:13 PM »
reopening the country going well so far  :doge

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #8703 on: June 03, 2020, 09:47:37 AM »
Man, remember when Corona was still a thing? Wild times.

Remember the protests in front of federal buildings with ARs and were deal with swiftly and forcefully?

:lol

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #8704 on: June 03, 2020, 10:00:16 AM »
I still can't find info on Canada's excessive deaths.  Quebec is finally going down.  Ontario cases are plateauing but hospitalization seems to be going down.  The martimes, which had contained it, keep getting imported cases. 

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
每天生气

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #8706 on: June 03, 2020, 02:18:24 PM »
WHO acts in SOLIDARITY with TRUMP in bid to get money BACK after internal REVIEW of finances

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Without capitalizations this would be a Nintex post.
[close]

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #8709 on: June 03, 2020, 06:26:00 PM »
https://twitter.com/stephaniemlee/status/1268269861676781568

https://twitter.com/ByMikeBaker/status/1268080646833860608

Reading more and more takes that the riots and protests are going to cause a 2nd wave.
No one seems to really focus on social distancing during these gatherings anymore, people hugging etc. .
Then there's the teargas which makes people cough and run into each other.
Plus the national guard and other troops moved over large distances.

This could spiral out of control   :goty2
🤴

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #8710 on: June 03, 2020, 06:29:15 PM »
We're reopening to the public at the capacity that restaurants did/phase 1 on Friday.

We had a meeting today and essentially everyone agrees we really aren't built to be socially distant in the building designs. And "we can't enforce people to use masks if grocery stores don't." :beli I'm not thrilled about this and feel like I should walk.

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #8711 on: June 03, 2020, 07:18:40 PM »

shosta

« Reply #8712 on: June 03, 2020, 10:07:32 PM »
I thought there was going to be one? Wait till the BLS releases its monthly report on the 5th and everyone's stomach drops out of their ass.
每天生气

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #8713 on: June 03, 2020, 10:08:09 PM »
I want more bux  :-\

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #8714 on: June 03, 2020, 10:14:03 PM »
shit might really get crazy if they don't extend additional unemployment at end of july :doge

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #8715 on: June 03, 2020, 10:14:56 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if congress is just quietly trying to figure out the timing to best suit the election and there will be another one but they are waiting to see how current events go. 

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8716 on: June 03, 2020, 10:21:50 PM »
Safe to say there's not going to be a second stimulus, right?

brrrrr
dog

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #8717 on: June 03, 2020, 10:24:14 PM »
Remember during the Arab Spring when the Saudis cut every citizen a big fat check and it quelled any dissent and we all mocked them for it?

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #8718 on: June 03, 2020, 10:59:06 PM »
it still blows my mind that the assholes won and we're all supposed to go back to work just because

like i have chronic severe depression and even i value my life more than that jfc
pcp

Tripon

« Reply #8719 on: June 04, 2020, 12:24:23 AM »

Mexico seems like a bad scene right now.

shosta

« Reply #8720 on: June 04, 2020, 12:28:34 AM »
每天生气

Tripon

« Reply #8721 on: June 04, 2020, 12:42:49 AM »
WASHINGTON — Americans returning from China landed at U.S. airports by the thousands in early February, potential carriers of a deadly virus who had been diverted to a handful of cities for screening by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Their arrival prompted a frantic scramble by local and state officials to press the travelers to self-quarantine and to monitor whether anyone fell ill. It was one of the earliest tests of whether the public health system in the United States could contain the contagion.

But the effort was frustrated as the CDC’s decades-old notification system delivered information collected at the airports that was riddled with duplicative records, bad phone numbers and incomplete addresses. For weeks, officials tried to track passengers using lists sent by the CDC, scouring information about each flight in separate spreadsheets.

“It was insane,” said Dr. Sharon Balter, a director at the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health. When the system went offline in mid-February, briefly halting the flow of passenger data, local officials listened in disbelief on a conference call as the CDC responded to the possibility that infected travelers might slip away.

“Just let them go,” two of the health officials recall being told.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/cdc-waited-entire-existence-moment-122722665.html

thisismyusername

« Reply #8722 on: June 04, 2020, 12:46:11 AM »
I thought there was going to be one? Wait till the BLS releases its monthly report on the 5th and everyone's stomach drops out of their ass.

AFAIK, that's still the plan. But since then, they found out that most folks used it on TV's, clothes, etc. and now the GOP is like "why will we give them free money if they aren't using it on bills, essentials?" So who knows.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #8723 on: June 04, 2020, 08:28:19 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Where did you get that pic?

the highest daily death Mexico has is 501  https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/mexico/

Tripon

« Reply #8724 on: June 04, 2020, 10:25:45 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Where did you get that pic?

the highest daily death Mexico has is 501  https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/mexico/

Says daily death for June 4th is 1000+

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #8725 on: June 04, 2020, 10:36:57 AM »
lol I looked at yesterdays because I am not used to large numbers for north america at 10 am - im dumb - however with that being more than double the next highest day - isn't it more than likely its an admin catch up number

edit:  even still mexico's trajectory and new cases is bad. 

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #8726 on: June 04, 2020, 11:28:24 AM »
Yeahhhh and ol bitch Mitch has gone on record saying he’s gonna fight extending the extra unemployment, too, which is gonna suck for yo boi

Tripon

Tripon

Coffee Dog

« Reply #8730 on: June 04, 2020, 06:44:56 PM »
We keep breaking our covid records over here and all everyone wants to talk about is the riots. >:(

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #8731 on: June 04, 2020, 06:45:35 PM »
Including Oregon in that scared me a sec, and I still think I should be being cautious, but like the article says, we really comparatively don’t have as many cases

Posted from an Oregon bar where the bartender isn’t wearing a mask

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #8732 on: June 04, 2020, 06:46:22 PM »
It’s okay, I’m sitting outside and drinking hard liquor

Tripon

« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 07:32:53 PM by Tripon »

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #8734 on: June 04, 2020, 07:37:24 PM »
this country is going to be in a very bad place for a very long time  :-\
pcp

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #8735 on: June 04, 2020, 07:42:04 PM »
Ya, it will be normalized that grandma dies at 60 and young adults can end up in the hospital for a few weeks, and be bankrupted for it.   Pretty sure the last part is already normal. 

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #8736 on: June 04, 2020, 08:10:27 PM »
Tasty: Oh good! It’s open! Borecon!

Tripon

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #8738 on: June 04, 2020, 09:28:12 PM »
Tasty: Oh good! It’s open! Borecon!

Looks like bug chasing is back on the menu.  :-*
©@©™

thisismyusername

« Reply #8739 on: June 04, 2020, 11:50:43 PM »
People being bored is ok. Going back to normal isn't. Everyone gets bored. The issue is that a lot of people can't seem to figure out ways to entertain themselves WITHOUT going to public places that are packed to the gills.

Humans are social creatures, yeah. But there's many different ways of keeping "business as usual" going without doing something like those Craps tables.

The issue is (like the meeting at work I had) enforcing building capacity limits and masks is damn near impossible.

shosta

« Reply #8740 on: June 05, 2020, 12:03:37 AM »
Ngl I sat in the grocery store Starbucks for like an hour yesterday because it was someplace other than my house :shaq2
每天生气

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #8741 on: June 05, 2020, 12:05:46 AM »
main problem is a large part of the population doesn't care at all about wearing a mask even if they get sick. I still see people wearing masks, but most people aren't. mostly it's people working who are wearing masks, so they're just doing what the boss tells them to do and probably don't wear it at all after spending 8+ hours at work forced to wear it

thisismyusername

« Reply #8742 on: June 05, 2020, 12:10:30 AM »
That's true. I hate wearing the masks because they really make it hard to breathe at times. But I still wear them when I head to the store/etc. It's dumb not to.

thisismyusername

« Reply #8743 on: June 05, 2020, 12:23:39 AM »
BUT THINK OF THE ECONOMY THOUGH, TOILET!!!!!!!!!!

Healthcare Plz.

Coffee Dog

« Reply #8744 on: June 05, 2020, 12:26:12 AM »
I drive to and from work and the only masks I've seen in about two weeks are lone mask wearers when there's a cluster of 5+ other maskless people waiting at the bus stop. Places like gas stations are entirely maskless. People look at me like I'm wearing a foil hat when I wear mine, even though we're one of the problematic areas.

ToxicAdam

« Reply #8745 on: June 05, 2020, 12:26:28 AM »
I think the real issue is that no one is talking about contact tracing anymore. It’s like we’ve collectively, immediately decided that it is a bridge too far. When in reality it’s the probably the most important tool we need to implement if we have to ‘live with covid’.  A vaccine isn’t a sure thing.

thisismyusername

« Reply #8746 on: June 05, 2020, 12:33:53 AM »
I think the real issue is that no one is talking about contact tracing anymore. It’s like we’ve collectively, immediately decided that it is a bridge too far. When in reality it’s the probably the most important tool we need to implement if we have to ‘live with covid’.  A vaccine isn’t a sure thing.

...It sort of is a bridge too far if you consider privacy invasion/etc. Snowden's talked about this, if you're interested in the complications with it and your privacy. Though that was back in the early parts of the outbreak.

I drive to and from work and the only masks I've seen in about two weeks are lone mask wearers when there's a cluster of 5+ other maskless people waiting at the bus stop. Places like gas stations are entirely maskless. People look at me like I'm wearing a foil hat when I wear mine, even though we're one of the problematic areas.

It's about 50% for around here. But I'd probably lean 40/60 masks/no-masks. I feel it's partially because it's IMPOSSIBLE to get any sort of mask (unless you make one yourself which may/may not be as effective) and "fuck the gubment, they can't tell me what to do  :sheik "stupidity.

I've seen parents with no masks going to/from stores with their kids in tow with no masks either and I'm like :foodcourt

But then there are others that fully mask up, so it's a total toss-up.

I would love to move out, but the government is doing nothing in regards to owed pay as it is, I can't imagine still living on my own...

At least you'd be able to move out, eventually. I can't even imagine that with my current job (ugh) or finding a new one (double ugh).

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #8747 on: June 05, 2020, 01:34:35 AM »
Here in San Jose, I always see masks at stores because almost all of them have signs saying you can't enter without one.

The exception is parks, I went to a park once and I saw almost no one with a mask. Originally, the city flipped over all the picnic tables and put signs and caution tape on them saying that they are not to be used because of social distancing but I saw about half of them flipped over and occupied by white people. I'm not trying to be racist, but it's what you would expect...

I have no idea where people got masks from, I know some stores started giving them out to shoppers who didn't have one but I don't know if you needed to buy it or if it was free. Personally, I've had an N95 from a year ago during the wildfires that my work gave out and that's all I've been using for almost 4 months. I have a bunch of extras I got from my brother who works in a hospital though. How often are you supposed to switch them out or "bake" them?

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #8748 on: June 05, 2020, 01:38:17 AM »
I bought a pack of 50, but I've only gone through 3 so far. I keep the current mask on the dash and my car sits in the sun all day, figure that's good enough  :doge

thisismyusername

« Reply #8749 on: June 05, 2020, 01:44:37 AM »
at stores all of them have signs saying you can't enter without one.

The same around here, thing is: People go in with no masks anyway and what can the store do besides call the police to kick them out forcefully? They can't really do anything beyond "uh... could you not?"

Coax

« Reply #8750 on: June 05, 2020, 03:33:40 AM »
Personally, I've had an N95 from a year ago during the wildfires that my work gave out and that's all I've been using for almost 4 months. I have a bunch of extras I got from my brother who works in a hospital though. How often are you supposed to switch them out or "bake" them?

Ordinarily in hospitals a clean disposable respirator would be donned between close contact with patients but there it has been determined who has the virus obviously, unlike in public where it's ambiguous so I suppose it'd be up to the user to decide. The study completed for the FDA on the effectiveness of UV-C decontamination found the process had no adverse effect on filtering performance after 20 cycles across well-known brands (ironically it was the straps that saw more degradation) but beyond that haven't read about max number of decontamination cycles, however for reusable respirator filters from 3M they've said one can last an entire pandemic wave (the filter is within the cartridge rather than exposed directly so the outer plastic surface can be decontaminated independently).

I've seen various DIY projects for disposable respirator UV-C decontamination. This box chamber using off-the-shelf hardware components seemed decent and addresses the issue of accidental light exposure.

ToxicAdam

« Reply #8752 on: June 05, 2020, 09:47:43 AM »
The riots were your second stimulus. You're missing out.

Cryo

« Reply #8753 on: June 05, 2020, 10:02:08 AM »
Here in San Jose, I always see masks at stores because almost all of them have signs saying you can't enter without one.

The exception is parks, I went to a park once and I saw almost no one with a mask. Originally, the city flipped over all the picnic tables and put signs and caution tape on them saying that they are not to be used because of social distancing but I saw about half of them flipped over and occupied by white people. I'm not trying to be racist, but it's what you would expect...

I have no idea where people got masks from, I know some stores started giving them out to shoppers who didn't have one but I don't know if you needed to buy it or if it was free. Personally, I've had an N95 from a year ago during the wildfires that my work gave out and that's all I've been using for almost 4 months. I have a bunch of extras I got from my brother who works in a hospital though. How often are you supposed to switch them out or "bake" them?
please let me know if you need masks, my friend who lives in SJ has been sewing them for friends&family. I currently have 3 that I hand wash between uses and alternate each day of the week I go out.

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
« Reply #8754 on: June 05, 2020, 10:25:38 AM »
The riots were your second stimulus. You're missing out.

I’m almost 80. I can’t be out in the streets stealing shit. My knees can’t take it.

Care to explain this.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #8755 on: June 05, 2020, 10:39:50 AM »
Biden can move mountains when there's little girls around.

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
« Reply #8756 on: June 05, 2020, 10:55:01 AM »
ahh the hilldog routine. Classic.

Tripon

« Reply #8757 on: June 05, 2020, 12:03:18 PM »

As scientists race to find a coronavirus vaccine, some researchers are pinning their hopes on vaccines that already exist: The BCG vaccine. It's traditionally used against tuberculosis and has been shown to also protect against a range of other diseases. Researchers are now hoping that Covid-19 could be one of them. In this video we ask: To what extent could BCG tuberculosis vaccines be used against the new coronavirus?

BisMarckie

« Reply #8758 on: June 05, 2020, 12:48:43 PM »
We've been on this mask thing for the better part of 3 months now and every time I go out, at least 50% of people still are wearing them wrong. So many people with their noses not cover, so many people that have the mask on but not even covering their mouth, wearing it on their foreheads or under their chins.

I started to call people out who are not wearing their mask right and/or are getting way too close to me.

Why the fuck do people want to stand so fucking close at the checkout anyway? It’s not going to be faster, that irked me before the Rona as well.

I became a Karen :karen

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #8759 on: June 05, 2020, 12:55:28 PM »
always seems to be old people who do it too :biden
(ice)