Author Topic: Corona Thread |OT| Nu variant, who dis?  (Read 1081775 times)

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
Re: Corona Thread |OT| The Curse of La Rona
« Reply #8820 on: June 09, 2020, 12:21:17 PM »
I was listening to a podcast with the guy who coined the phrase social distancing.  He said that once you reopen there is almost no political will to shut down again.  America is fucked.

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #8821 on: June 09, 2020, 12:36:18 PM »
I was listening to a podcast with the guy who coined the phrase social distancing.  He said that once you reopen there is almost no political will to shut down again.  America is fucked.

The US, Latin America, south Asia, maybe Africa.

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #8822 on: June 09, 2020, 12:37:23 PM »
https://twitter.com/jneeley78/status/1270351991710113795

:dead

Yeah, the WHO walked back its statement a day about asymptomatic cases.

BisMarckie

« Reply #8824 on: June 09, 2020, 12:46:03 PM »
Who knew that in the battle of Trump vs. the WHO both come out as losers.  :doge

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #8825 on: June 09, 2020, 12:56:37 PM »
Maybe they did deserve to be defunded  :doge
每天生气

BisMarckie

« Reply #8826 on: June 09, 2020, 01:01:09 PM »
I read some crackpot theories that the Director-general was a diversity hire and that’s the reason why they suck.  :doge

BisMarckie

« Reply #8827 on: June 09, 2020, 01:02:38 PM »
Love those moments where we all have to decide if something is conspiratorial or just flat out incompetence / stupidity

When it comes to public institutions , I always side on incompetence since I am working in one. 

Bureaucrats can’t pull off a conspirational tactic, even if they wanted.  :doge

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8828 on: June 09, 2020, 01:43:58 PM »

Yeah, there's never been any question in my mind that a second shut-down is not gonna happen. We couldn't even get through one shut-down before people started to freak out and invade State Capitals with assault rifles. And there's too many local and state politicians that aren't willing to go through all this again, to say nothing of Trump and the Republicans in the federal government.
dog

Tripon

Tripon

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8831 on: June 09, 2020, 03:17:20 PM »
I have half of those year round :beli

:fbm
dog

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #8832 on: June 09, 2020, 04:14:11 PM »
abuela went into hospital with pneumonia, two days later lab results are negative for the covid  :pitbull

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 04:24:01 PM by Nintex »
🤴

team filler

• filler
  • filler

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #8835 on: June 09, 2020, 04:42:40 PM »
aawww yeah Deus Ex is almost real  8)
🤴

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #8836 on: June 09, 2020, 05:13:11 PM »
Robo bartender won’t catch on until it can be this:

Tripon

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #8838 on: June 09, 2020, 06:28:37 PM »

Tripon

Tripon

« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 07:39:54 PM by Tripon »

shosta

每天生气

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #8845 on: June 09, 2020, 11:25:42 PM »
MT. GILEAD, Ohio — A new report from the Ohio Immigrant Alliance claims the Morrow County Correctional Facility failed to follow its own Infectious Disease Control Program as well as the National Detention Standards required in its contract with Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) amid the novel coronavirus pandemic, leading to the facility becoming the first county jail in Ohio and the first ICE detention center in the U.S. to be 100% COVID-positive.

“None of the inmates and detainees at Morrow County have been seen by a doctor in the facility, despite their COVID diagnoses. Nursing staff are not present at the jail overnight or on the weekends, and even when they are there, they often decline to provide health care, including Tylenol. Jail staff have repeatedly refused to call an ambulance for detainees in serious distress. What’s more, there are no interpreters available to translate detainee medical conversations, calling into question how jail staff are even making such life-or-death decisions in the first place,” the report states.

shosta

« Reply #8847 on: June 10, 2020, 12:42:09 AM »
I guess Gal Gadot must regret supporting BLM :hitler
每天生气

team filler

• filler
  • filler

Akala

• Easy Victor

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
« Reply #8852 on: June 10, 2020, 08:30:38 AM »
Las Vegas putting a Corona tax on food and drink prices... GOD DAMN!

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #8853 on: June 10, 2020, 09:58:52 AM »
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/for-profit-nursing-homes-83-percent-of-covid-deaths-eastern-ontario-1.5604880

The risk of dying from COVID-19 has been significantly higher for residents of for-profit long-term care homes in eastern Ontario than for those in non-profit and municipally run facilities, a CBC analysis of provincial data has found.

Since the coronavirus outbreaks first struck dozens of long-term care homes across the region this spring, the vast majority of deaths — 82.5 per cent — have occurred in for-profit facilities.

That's despite the fact that there are about the same number of beds in each sector — 5,669 beds are operated by for-profit companies in this part of Ontario, while there are 5,733 beds in non-profit and municipal facilities. There have been roughly the same number of outbreaks at for-profit and non-profit facilities.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #8854 on: June 10, 2020, 10:30:43 AM »
Yep, you guys got a few weeks before deaths start back to 2k+ daily.  At this point, I'm just angry that you guys are going to fuck us over since Canada finally has a handle on it.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 10:35:50 AM by Madrun Badrun »

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #8855 on: June 10, 2020, 11:37:34 AM »
Yep, you guys got a few weeks before deaths start back to 2k+ daily.  At this point, I'm just angry that you guys are going to fuck us over since Canada finally has a handle on it.
I think it's more likely that the US will just stay around ~900 deaths per day for months and months (not counting excess deaths). Even as things re-open, a large enough percentage of the population will WFH, wear masks, refuse to travel, practice social distancing. The R0 will be ~1 until the fall.

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #8856 on: June 10, 2020, 11:49:47 AM »
 I like how a lot of people are now pivoting to 'well we all have to die sometime." :killme

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #8857 on: June 10, 2020, 11:51:58 AM »
Imagine 900+ people a day dying from a specific thing and the country and leadership just being like "fuck it, it's over right" :trumps
All states have re-opened or are re-opening. It's mostly too late too show any federal leadership.

I like how a lot of people are now pivoting to 'well we all have to die sometime." :killme
The comment, for the most part, is hollow unless it's coming from a 70+ year-old.

ToxicAdam

« Reply #8858 on: June 10, 2020, 12:04:43 PM »
We have to learn to live with it. There was never a path where we were going to New Zealand this outbreak. Especially now seeing how it's escalating in Mexico, Central America and Brazil.  It was always about stemming that first wave but not completely tanking the economy.

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #8859 on: June 10, 2020, 12:07:14 PM »
The comment, for the most part, is hollow unless it's coming from a 70+ year-old.

agree but there are some olds picking it up. I am just hoping to avoid being an outlier in the great american bug chase of summer 2020.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #8860 on: June 10, 2020, 12:29:11 PM »
We have to learn to live with it. There was never a path where we were going to New Zealand this outbreak. Especially now seeing how it's escalating in Mexico, Central America and Brazil.  It was always about stemming that first wave but not completely tanking the economy.

While I agree with the idea that we were never going to get to a containment phase and that we'd need to learn to live with it, most US states opened up way too soon for even a mitigation phase.   And it's just going to get worse by year's end.  Quarantine was really the only shot at an exponential decrease, and a month longer would have made a large difference.  Now you guys have to plateau at 1k deaths instead of 200 deaths a day (and risk a second wave with 2k deaths a day, which I think is more likely.)  Like you guys had a chance to save hundreds of lives per day and just said fuck it. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #8861 on: June 10, 2020, 12:29:55 PM »
Also, excessive US deaths are going to be seen as fake news.   

ToxicAdam

« Reply #8862 on: June 10, 2020, 12:30:32 PM »
But that's how this thing is going to play out. We're going to keep making mistakes, learn from it and then adjust according to that.  There is no "one size fits all" plan that makes sense for a country of people. It has hit us all differently and in varying degrees of severity. Some states might have to re-close certain businesses and demand masks for everyone, others won't.

So, the "big picture numbers" are always going to look bad because as these "hot spots" keep shifting around the country you're going to have the steady drip of new cases/deaths. You're already seeing that now as places like Texas and Arizona are the hot spots and places in the Midwest/East coast are in decline.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #8863 on: June 10, 2020, 12:32:44 PM »
We won't see states wanting to re-close until it hits NY levels of bad and by that time you have that, it's months of 1K+ deaths just coming from a single state.

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #8864 on: June 10, 2020, 12:33:45 PM »
Just pretend it never happened and it will go away :trumps
(ice)

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #8865 on: June 10, 2020, 12:57:09 PM »
W t

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #8866 on: June 10, 2020, 01:54:02 PM »
Nasdaq 10k

Thank you for your sacrifice  :salute
🤴

Tripon

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #8868 on: June 10, 2020, 03:09:38 PM »

Lots of interesting points in there. 

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #8869 on: June 10, 2020, 03:45:03 PM »
https://twitter.com/GidMK/status/1270490527863992321

The IFR estimate for the flu is 0.01% (instead of 0.1%) using seroprevalence studies and official death counts. This same methodology used for COVID-19 usually gets an estimate IFR of 1%. See my post here: http://www.thebore.com/forum/index.php?topic=46908.msg2872322#msg2872322

Even if absurdly low IFR estimates are used, COVID-19 is 18 times deadlier than the flu.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 03:52:46 PM by Flannel Boy »

Bebpo

« Reply #8870 on: June 10, 2020, 06:56:15 PM »

As if Orange County CA can't get any worse. We still going to be in the middle of VERY BAD RONA TIMES in mid-July.

Disney re-opening made sense in Shanghai where Covid is under control and people will follow protocol like masks. It's going to be a total clusterfuck of covid super spreading in the USA.

ToxicAdam

« Reply #8871 on: June 10, 2020, 07:59:08 PM »
I find it concerning that Huntsman had to take two tests to confirm what he knew he had.  Why doesn’t it catch someone with full blown symptoms right out the gate?

Tripon

« Reply #8872 on: June 10, 2020, 08:13:11 PM »
I find it concerning that Huntsman had to take two tests to confirm what he knew he had.  Why doesn’t it catch someone with full blown symptoms right out the gate?

Sounds like the first negative test was sent to Huntsman by mistake. The 2nd one was actually his.

Edit:

Never mind, somebody messed with it.

https://twitter.com/JonHuntsman/status/1270487435151982593

ToxicAdam

« Reply #8873 on: June 11, 2020, 10:10:55 AM »
This guy figured it out ...

During a hearing on whether to declare racism a public health crisis in Ohio, a Republican state senator referred to “the colored population” and questioned whether they get COVID-19 more often because they do not wash their hands as much.

During a discussion with Angela Dawson, director of the Ohio Commission on Minority Health, Sen. Steve Huffman, a doctor from Tipp City north of Dayton, said, “I understand that African Americans have a higher incidence of prior conditions and that makes them more susceptible to COVID, but does not make them more susceptible just to get COVID.

“We know it’s twice as often, correct? Could it just be that African Americans – the colored population — do not wash their hands as well as other groups? Or wear a mask? Or do not socially distance themselves? Could that just be maybe the explanation of why there’s a higher incidence?”

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #8874 on: June 11, 2020, 11:02:37 AM »
Florida's first day over 1,500 new cases: +1,698. There will be a lot of mysterious "pneumonia" deaths.

Flannel Boy

• Icon

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #8876 on: June 11, 2020, 11:17:36 AM »
Alabama joins Florida with a record day. The state reported 856 new cases

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #8877 on: June 11, 2020, 11:19:17 AM »
Went to the grocery store, my cashier kept sniffling, wiping their nose, and blowing their nose (and leaving the tissues on the counter).  Like a coward I did not say anything. 

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #8878 on: June 11, 2020, 11:25:02 AM »

I hope your affairs are in order.
Who will get your anime collection?

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #8879 on: June 11, 2020, 11:40:49 AM »
Went to the grocery store, my cashier kept sniffling, wiping their nose, and blowing their nose (and leaving the tissues on the counter).  Like a coward I did not say anything.

it's just allergies bro!

Alabama joins Florida with a record day. The state reported 856 new cases

MDW Bumpin