Author Topic: Corona Thread |OT| Nu variant, who dis?  (Read 1081746 times)

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
Re: Corona Thread |OT| Warlords of Rona
« Reply #9300 on: June 24, 2020, 09:11:57 PM »
I'd risk a lot of a good ol' Hawaiian including other people. 

Bebpo

« Reply #9301 on: June 24, 2020, 09:22:33 PM »
So next issue is apparently USA has given up contact tracing and doesn't care. Our employees might not be able to get tested for another 7 days and then have to wait until 3-7 days for results. -_-

The non-prescription/go through insurance crap testing sites supposedly are backed up 7 days with appointments already and the closest is like 90 mins away in 7 days.

The US is fucking this up so much.

Bebpo

« Reply #9302 on: June 24, 2020, 09:34:08 PM »
Apparently the issue is they won't test people in a timely fashion who are asymptomatic even if they've been in contact with someone who tests positive because they are "low priority" so unless they develop symptoms they can't test until a week+ later.

The problem being that if there are other people who interacted with that person, not knowing if that person was contagious is kinda important.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #9303 on: June 24, 2020, 09:46:36 PM »
we're really gonna be dealing with like a hundred thousand people dying every few months, for the next few years huh
pcp

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #9304 on: June 24, 2020, 09:48:48 PM »
we're really gonna be dealing with like a hundred thousand people dying every few months, for the next few years huh

Cycle's gonna be complete when there's some new pandemic and people are tweeting "um, coronavirus kills 300k people every year and they don't make us wear masks for that."

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #9305 on: June 24, 2020, 09:53:25 PM »
 :fbm

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #9306 on: June 24, 2020, 09:54:46 PM »

Cycle's gonna be complete when there's some new pandemic and people are tweeting "um, coronavirus kills 300k people every year and they don't make us wear masks for that."

And then Nintex starts careposting about people pulling down the Donald Trump statue.
©@©™

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9307 on: June 24, 2020, 09:55:04 PM »
New daily record for Texas: 6,177. That's 800 more cases than the previous daily record, which was set yesterday.
dog

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #9308 on: June 24, 2020, 09:56:23 PM »

you're right; we normalized children being murdered en masse in their own classrooms, we can normalize anything!
pcp

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9309 on: June 24, 2020, 09:57:15 PM »
Also, the US just had its worst day for new cases with 39,103, that's just a tic above the previous record set on April 24.
dog

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #9310 on: June 24, 2020, 09:57:34 PM »

And then Nintex starts careposting about people pulling down the Donald Trump statue.

"The Protesters are trying to blow up all the Trump towers across the world!"

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #9311 on: June 24, 2020, 10:20:08 PM »
Also, the US just had its worst day for new cases with 39,103, that's just a tic above the previous record set on April 24.

At least our president finally has his priorities in place.

https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1275951862269829121

:american :american :american

Tripon

« Reply #9312 on: June 24, 2020, 10:21:35 PM »
Did they ever fix the trade tariffs with China regarding lobsters?

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #9313 on: June 24, 2020, 10:24:54 PM »
subliminal shotout to daddy p?  :thinking

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #9314 on: June 24, 2020, 11:58:27 PM »
I'd risk a lot of a good ol' Hawaiian including other people.
canned pineapple is for deplorables, if I can find a pizza club that makes a good hawaiian with fresh p apple we can give it another shot  ;)

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #9315 on: June 25, 2020, 12:39:43 AM »
I thought I didn’t like pineapple until I ate it in Hawaii

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #9316 on: June 25, 2020, 01:02:45 AM »
I thought I didn’t like pineapple until I ate it in Hawaii :snob
;)

Tripon

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #9318 on: June 25, 2020, 01:15:53 AM »
I thought I didn't like hawaiians until I ate a pineapple!  :corona_rodney

thought I didn't like pinesapples until I ate a hawaiian  :biden

Tripon

« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 10:56:26 AM by Tripon »

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #9320 on: June 25, 2020, 10:53:55 AM »
:usacry
(ice)

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #9321 on: June 25, 2020, 10:58:16 AM »
This is amazing work:
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1276027368398827521
Just started scrolling.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #9322 on: June 25, 2020, 11:22:52 AM »
The virus won because the good information was locked behind paywalls and the bad information was free and ubiquitous :doge

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #9323 on: June 25, 2020, 11:36:16 AM »

https://www.cp24.com/news/study-finds-canada-s-proportion-of-long-term-care-deaths-is-double-the-average-of-other-nations-1.4999176
LTC residents made up 81 per cent of all reported COVID-19 deaths in [Canada] compared to an average of 42 per cent among all countries studied.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #9325 on: June 25, 2020, 12:36:29 PM »
I got tested, was super easy, like 20 mins total and no waiting.  The longest part of it was the woman couldn't read my Sask. health card because it's from the early 90's and the numbers are half worn off.  That being said my throat hurts like shit - I doubt it covid but can't see a doctor until the results are in.  They also said I can't leave my apt. until the results are in tomorrow. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #9327 on: June 25, 2020, 12:51:52 PM »

https://www.cp24.com/news/study-finds-canada-s-proportion-of-long-term-care-deaths-is-double-the-average-of-other-nations-1.4999176
LTC residents made up 81 per cent of all reported COVID-19 deaths in [Canada] compared to an average of 42 per cent among all countries studied.

Think we will have better excessive death numbers, so I feel like it might be an accounting issue.  Not to say that our care home deaths will be the same, but double is pretty crazy. 
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 12:58:19 PM by Madrun Badrun »

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #9328 on: June 25, 2020, 01:03:43 PM »
Stopped by a restaurant yesterday in NJ that has an outdoor patio.

None of the staff were wearing masks.

WTF is wrong with people.

1 star yelp review. 
:O

Bebpo

« Reply #9329 on: June 25, 2020, 01:19:30 PM »
Well my dad tested positive for Covid and was contagious on father's day when our family got together outdoors and social distancing (mostly, he went indoors to check out something with my brother for about 5 mins and they said they were not always 6ft apart). Doesn't help for my mom who lives with him though.

So far on about day 4 of symptoms and probably 6-7 days since infection, he just feels like he has a mild cold. No headache and lungs are clear so far. Will be hoping it doesn't turn severe.

Also hoping it's one of those situations where a husband/wife that live together, one test positive but the other doesn't catch it for some reason. My mom think's she will be able to get tested tomorrow and results around Monday.

I'm looking into testing options for myself and my brother and his gf.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #9330 on: June 25, 2020, 01:45:13 PM »
i'm so sorry bebpo. i hope everything turns out alright.
pcp

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #9331 on: June 25, 2020, 01:56:27 PM »
>The rate of spread to family members – the driver of the infection in China – was 10% early in the outbreak, but fell to 3% with quicker recognition and isolation. The overall numbers are lower than might have been expected, and an important insight for clinicians trying to contain the outbreak in the United States.

https://www.the-hospitalist.org/hospitalist/article/218769/coronavirus-updates/covid-19-update-transmission-5-or-less-among-close

The odds are in your favor for there not being further spread, but sorry to hear about your father, Bepbo.

Bebpo

« Reply #9332 on: June 25, 2020, 02:09:08 PM »
So there's in-person testing with doctor prescrip I can get over the phone (my brother already got one for tomorrow) at the place my dad got tested and their results are quick within about 2 days. But you have to go in-person to a room/area where lots of people who may have been Covid positive have been throughout the day to get tested. My dad said when he went he had to stay in his car and then they called him in and the room was empty and someone came in and did the test. So it sounds mostly safe, but there's still a lot we don't know about the disease like how long it stays in the air and stuff (and no idea how long between appointments).

There's a Sean Penn group covid testing thing in a mall parking lot near me that is drive-through, but results take about 4-5 days. I'm assuming the tests are as good. I feel like that lowers the risk of potentially catching it if you don't have it, but it also means longer until you find out anything.

There's also the potential both ways of the person administering the test to be contagious, but I feel that's pretty unlikely especially with the mask and gloves, so I wouldn't worry about that.

Alternatively, because the only contact I had was outdoors and 10-12ft away with some side wind not blowing towards me or away from me, and because I am in a high risk group (I just got my immune suppressing meds last week so I have no immune system for next 8-9 weeks), I could wait and see if I get any symptoms before getting tested.

I think the drive-thru method is the most safe and then at least I'll know in a week. So I should probably try to do that tomorrow.

Bebpo

« Reply #9333 on: June 25, 2020, 02:31:13 PM »
I looked it up and the drive-through one has a $150 test that gives results in 20 mins. Sounds good. Can also get antibody blood test at the same time while there.

I looked up to see if it's too early to get tested. It's been exactly 4 days since Sunday. A harvard.edu article said the false negative rate was "About 40% of the time if you are tested four days after exposure to the virus." which 40% is a lot!

I'm thinking I'll go on Monday unless I start to get symptoms. That way it'll have been 8 days and I can do the 20 min result test + antibody drive through test.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #9334 on: June 25, 2020, 02:34:58 PM »
4 days for an antibody test is way too early yes.

Bebpo

« Reply #9335 on: June 25, 2020, 02:38:09 PM »
No, the antibody test would just be to see if I had picked it up in the past months anywhere else. I'd only do that because I can do it at the same time as the nose swab test. My concern is getting a mostly accurate nose swab test result.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #9336 on: June 25, 2020, 02:39:44 PM »
Ah sorry, you mentioned the Ab test just before so I assumed that's what you meant, my bad.

Bebpo

« Reply #9337 on: June 25, 2020, 03:26:36 PM »
So now I'm reading that there's 2 types of Covid tests. The RT-PCR molecular test which is pretty accurate and takes 3 days or so for results. And the Antigen (not antibody) test which takes 15 mins for result but is less accurate. So the place I'm getting tested on Monday is the Antigen one because the results are in 20 mins.

Not feeling great about that the results aren't even going to be very accurate. And not sure where I can do a drive through RT-PCR test...

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #9338 on: June 25, 2020, 03:36:00 PM »
The testing doesn't really matter, you should be acting like you have it for the next two weeks.  And I say that as someone who just got tested today so that I can be told I don't have it, so that I can disregard the rules.

Bebpo

« Reply #9339 on: June 25, 2020, 03:46:35 PM »
The testing doesn't really matter, you should be acting like you have it for the next two weeks.  And I say that as someone who just got tested today so that I can be told I don't have it, so that I can disregard the rules.

Well yeah I mean I'm self-isolating.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #9340 on: June 25, 2020, 03:47:38 PM »
Which means that the test having false-negatives doesn't really matter.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #9341 on: June 25, 2020, 03:48:06 PM »
Georgia's maybe starting to ramp up.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot

Bebpo

« Reply #9343 on: June 25, 2020, 03:51:36 PM »
Which means that the test having false-negatives doesn't really matter.

By that logic though, there's no point in getting tested at all if you don't have symptoms.

Either you develop bad symptoms and need to get confirmed to get treated correctly/and or hospitalized,
Or you act like you have it and don't develop symptoms and 14 days passes.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #9344 on: June 25, 2020, 03:53:46 PM »
so can you get chlamydia from masks or not because if this totalitarian governor

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #9345 on: June 25, 2020, 04:51:57 PM »
Texas: record high 5,996 cases.

Bebpo

« Reply #9346 on: June 25, 2020, 04:52:37 PM »
So I cancelled my appointment on Monday and am rescheduling with the better molecular test that takes 4-5 days for results. I wonder if you don't care about the extra cost, if I should do the 20 min result test & the 4-5 day result test at the same time (2 swabs up my nose).

That way instead of having the anxiety for 4-5 days until the results come in, you know right there with like good certainty either way and then the better accuracy test can confirm that days later.

That's probably pretty weird way to do it. But I have serious anxiety problems and I'm worried about health issues from the stress of worrying about this. Especially as I'm also worrying about my family members getting worse.

Bebpo

« Reply #9347 on: June 25, 2020, 04:58:28 PM »
Scratch that, they don't let you put both tests in your cart to checkout. Will just do the more accurate test and deal with the wait for results.

*edit* or maybe not. Looks like I can do both.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 05:03:39 PM by Bebpo »

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #9348 on: June 25, 2020, 05:00:54 PM »
I think I would opt for the quicker one if it's going to stress you out? self-quarantine for a bit just to be sure if cleared.

good luck.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #9349 on: June 25, 2020, 05:02:54 PM »
I just got called back to work today and was told they aren’t wearing masks 😭😭😭

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #9350 on: June 25, 2020, 05:11:25 PM »

weed and bike rides near the lake kills corona you good

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #9351 on: June 25, 2020, 05:11:34 PM »
Texas: record high 5,996 cases.

21% positivity rate
___

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #9352 on: June 25, 2020, 05:16:54 PM »
Surprised death rates haven't jumped back up yet, seems like it's been long enough they should have. Is that because of younger people getting it/more effective treatments/something else? Haven't seen much on the subject.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #9353 on: June 25, 2020, 05:20:24 PM »

weed and bike rides near the lake kills corona you good

Going back I will have 0 pto for the year to go to the lake :(

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #9354 on: June 25, 2020, 05:28:12 PM »
Surprised death rates haven't jumped back up yet, seems like it's been long enough they should have. Is that because of younger people getting it/more effective treatments/something else? Haven't seen much on the subject.
Cases skew much younger.
Deaths lag 2 to 3 weeks.
Better treatment options (such as simple steroids).
COVID-1 deaths treated as pneumonia deaths in states seeing a surge?
Better precautions for long-term care homes?

Bebpo

« Reply #9355 on: June 25, 2020, 05:52:28 PM »

Yeah, my thoughts are that since younger people seem to be the ones getting it the most right now in terms of increases, and younger people have much smaller death %, that you'll see a ton of new cases, but not a ton of new deaths.

The problem is the secondary effect of all these young people infected then going on and interacting with older people who get infected makes it seem like the deaths will catch up though :|

james

« Reply #9356 on: June 25, 2020, 06:08:05 PM »
The motherfuckers at United texted me to say "your flight tomorrow is fairly full. You can change your flight for no cost. Click here to see options"

And yes, they said "fairly full" and no other details.

So I click the link.

"No other itineraries found"

Mother. Fuckers.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #9357 on: June 25, 2020, 06:12:03 PM »
Do they make you wear a mask when you fly?  Also, do they sell on-flight scooba tanks so you don't have to breathe the sickness?

james

« Reply #9358 on: June 25, 2020, 06:26:06 PM »
Do they make you wear a mask when you fly?  Also, do they sell on-flight scooba tanks so you don't have to breathe the sickness?

Presumably we'll be using the overhead oxygen masks from the safety videos

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #9359 on: June 25, 2020, 06:26:58 PM »
How are they going to sell that to you?