Author Topic: Corona Thread |OT| Nu variant, who dis?  (Read 1081775 times)

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night

Himu

Re: Corona Thread |OT| Warlords of Rona
« Reply #9481 on: June 27, 2020, 01:34:05 AM »
I'm considering ending a friendship because the person thinks the governor of new Mexico is a tyrant dictator for mandating masks and that she will round people up in a totalitarian manner. She thinks Covid isn't that bad "it just harms old people", and is theorizing (which I think is a cop out to not admit she's full on) voting trump.

I'm considering letting her go as a friend. Does that make me a bad person? My dad recently died and she was there for me. So I feel so guilty that I don't want to be associated with her bizarre and awful views.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 01:45:10 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #9482 on: June 27, 2020, 01:38:06 AM »
Nope, take care of yourself
WDW

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #9483 on: June 27, 2020, 01:42:55 AM »
Yeah I mean maybe just keep that person at a distance. Just reminds me of certain types that end up at Thanksgiving gatherings. Hope they come around, but when they are adults who think like this... I just don't know. It's like something is broken inside of them. It hurts and it sucks. You don't have to invite that toxicity to yourself.

Himu

« Reply #9484 on: June 27, 2020, 01:50:57 AM »
Right now trying to reason with her. I showed this article to show views of former trump supporters so she can have a different perspective.

https://time.com/5829244/trump-voters-coronavirus-2020/

She lashes at it and talks about how evil the media is for telling a one sided story. I tell her that the article is fair and that it even mentioned that people like this aren't a majority of his supporters and even briefly quotes a trump supporter not swayed by his response.

She said it isn't fair but i try to reason that the article is about former trump supporters specifically so the premise isn't even about giving a balanced story to begin with.

This is a college educated woman.
IYKYK

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #9485 on: June 27, 2020, 01:58:02 AM »
If she's dug in right now you're not going to convince her.

You might want to just give it some space while keeping an open line of communication for the future. Depends how much it drives you up the wall, how much you value her friendship long term, whether you think you can avoid the topic (either through just not talking for a while or steering away from it), etc. You gotta do what's right for you.

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #9486 on: June 27, 2020, 01:59:51 AM »
The thing with college education is that I learned it doesn't really mean dumb or smart. I mean yeah some colleges really demand academic proficiency that I know is beyond me. And yet you still get people from excellent colleges who don't give a fuck and vote Trump or yeah just go all out conspiracy-like.

I don't know why. I'm sure someone can probably explain it or link an article that explains it.

I'll never forget my first year in college and someone did a small video project where they asked people who they will vote for. I was astounded by how many people voted based on what their parents voted. Like W T F?! You are in college where you are supposed to to think critically on your own. Fuck what your parents think even if you happen to come to the same conclusion in the end. That's when it hit me like a ton of bricks. "Oh my god. So many people in college don't give a shit about anything other than just snagging the credits they have to get to graduate. This is just an extension of high school."  :existential

team filler

• filler
  • filler

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #9488 on: June 27, 2020, 09:01:32 AM »

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #9490 on: June 27, 2020, 09:10:56 AM »
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-01891-8

Mounting clues suggest the coronavirus might trigger diabetes

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #9491 on: June 27, 2020, 09:59:57 AM »
I'm considering ending a friendship because the person thinks the governor of new Mexico is a tyrant dictator for mandating masks and that she will round people up in a totalitarian manner. She thinks Covid isn't that bad "it just harms old people", and is theorizing (which I think is a cop out to not admit she's full on) voting trump.

I'm considering letting her go as a friend. Does that make me a bad person? My dad recently died and she was there for me. So I feel so guilty that I don't want to be associated with her bizarre and awful views.
Just talk about other things not politics with your friend. Stuff that made you friends in the first place  :heart

Politics are just toxic  :nope
🤴

Himu

« Reply #9492 on: June 27, 2020, 10:11:03 AM »

Just talk about other things not politics with your friend. Stuff that made you friends in the first place  :heart

Politics are just toxic  :nope

I legitimately think Trump is a fascist and don't want to associate with anyone that supports him.
IYKYK

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #9493 on: June 27, 2020, 10:15:51 AM »
Then why are you ‘considering’ it? If you’re going to have principles, stick to them. There shouldn’t even be doubt in your mind.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #9494 on: June 27, 2020, 10:32:55 AM »
The one thing about cutting out friends like that is you lose the opertunity to make them question their values.  Now I think most people like that are hopeless but still. 

Tripon

« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 11:27:21 AM by Tripon »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #9496 on: June 27, 2020, 11:24:40 AM »
For me it's more interesting that my friends aren't like me. Sure we have some things in common which is why we like to hang out.
But one of my best friends never plays any games and supports a European superstate. Back when I was a kid my friend next door was a SEGA rebel and I was a Nintendo fanboy.

Hanging out with people who all think and do the same is boring af  :snore

Even my brother is much different from me.
He's all about that 'live, life, laugh' (he has such a print on his wall :doge ), prefers wine over beer and is into spiritual enlightenment and woke-ism.

Oh and a real friend doesn't mind if you go: "Lol shut up you idiot  :lol " from time to time.
Is Trump a fascist? Who the hell knows, it's not worth losing a friend who supported you in your most difficult days over what could be a 1 term President by November  :idont
🤴

Himu

« Reply #9497 on: June 27, 2020, 11:39:23 AM »
"For me it's more interesting that my friends aren't like me"

I don't have to respect anyone's opinion that thinks wearing masks amid a pandemic will lead to death camps.

That's not interesting. It's scary.

IYKYK

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #9498 on: June 27, 2020, 11:49:25 AM »
He's all about that 'live, life, laugh' (he has such a print on his wall :doge ), prefers wine over beer and is into spiritual enlightenment and woke-ism.

You could just say your brother is gay, Nintex. The hyper-Conservative "Tee-hee he's a confirmed bachelor bless his heart" bullshit is  :iface

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #9499 on: June 27, 2020, 12:01:00 PM »
hilarious to me that "be friends with people who aren't like you" is always trotted out to make you feel bad for not being nice to racists, homophobes, fascists, and the like.
pcp

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #9500 on: June 27, 2020, 12:06:58 PM »
hilarious to me that "be friends with people who aren't like you" is always trotted out to make you feel bad for not being nice to racists, homophobes, fascists, and the like.
Well it's your own choice, that's just my take on it. I broke with people for personal reasons but never because of their politics or anything.
🤴

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #9501 on: June 27, 2020, 12:31:07 PM »
Have your brother join the forum with the name Nontax

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #9502 on: June 27, 2020, 12:38:09 PM »
Yeah, I had a long-time friend who at first we didn't agree with much politically (he was a small government libertarian) but then he kept on descending further down the conspiracy theory rabbit hole and acquiring some dangerous alt right beliefs (he's a huge Alex Jones fan). I had to just cut him off when he was claiming my brother was lying about covid deaths to get more money for his hospital, talking about how trans people are degenerates, black people "need to stop wearing baggy clothes and saggy pants" if they want to stop getting shot, there's a white genocide and erosion of European/Christian values going on in the west. Look, I know we've been close friends since 10th grade, I went to your wedding, countless parties of yours, know your family... but now our core beliefs and morals are so different and I just can't continue befriending someone with beliefs I find abhorrent.

I can be friends with the "pick yourself up by your bootstraps" or the "Democrats will impose all sorts of taxes and regulations on mah small business" type of Republicans, growing up in a wealthy majority white bubble, I see that often. But when it's hardcore alt-right fuckery dangerously bordering on white nationalism and fascism, then I have to back away...
^_^

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #9503 on: June 27, 2020, 12:47:16 PM »
https://www.sun-sentinel.com/coronavirus/fl-ne-florida-coronavirus-deaths-cases-saturday-june-27-20200627-eiheh4q3argklatnccptnzjlpi-story.html

Florida 9,585 new coronavirus cases today ... on a weekend.  You guys might hit 60K next week if this continues. 

Arizona also tied their worst day (4 days ago) with 3,593 today.

Himu

« Reply #9504 on: June 27, 2020, 01:25:21 PM »
black people "need to stop wearing baggy clothes and saggy pants" if they want to stop getting shot

One of my favorite arguments along with "they should stop sagging!!!!"

Baggy clothes and sagging haven't been much of a thing in like over a decade. That's when you can tell they're drinking the hot red racist Kool aid: because you know they don't actually interact with black people to know this fact so they go on spouting their outdated biases they formed years ago.

No one wears bagging clothing at all anymore lol. Billie Ellish is talked about because her baggy clothing are way, way out of the norm for modern society.
IYKYK

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #9505 on: June 27, 2020, 01:27:23 PM »
One of my aunts woke up with flu like symptoms yesterday so everyone who has been in contact with her is dropping out.

Family reunion pool party will now have 5 people including me
:O

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #9506 on: June 27, 2020, 01:28:16 PM »
One of my aunts woke up with flu like symptoms yesterday so everyone who has been in contact with her is dropping out.

Just make sure at least 1 of them is over 18
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #9507 on: June 27, 2020, 01:47:23 PM »

You could just say your brother is gay, Nintex. The hyper-Conservative "Tee-hee he's a confirmed bachelor bless his heart" bullshit is  :iface
Funny I never looked at it that way. I accurately described the average European artist type Gen-X'er who modeled themselves after the likes of John Romero, Armin van Buuren and Hideo Koijma.

Sorry, only registered users can see this content. Please Login or Register.
🤴

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #9508 on: June 27, 2020, 01:55:02 PM »
World wide we will see 500,000 deaths today and 10,000,000 cases on world meters.

Himu

« Reply #9509 on: June 27, 2020, 01:59:28 PM »
Person I've been talking to "I don't know why you're attacking me"
IYKYK

Tripon

« Reply #9510 on: June 27, 2020, 02:27:52 PM »
People who went to a bar in Michigan at any point during a recent 9-day period have been asked to self-quarantine after dozens who visited the establishment contracted the coronavirus. So far, 76 COVID-19 cases have been linked to the bar, Harper's Restaurant & Brewpub in East Lansing, the Ingham County Health Department said in a tweet on Friday.

The number of cases connected to the bar has rapidly climbed. Thirty-four cases were linked to it on Wednesday — a number that has now more than doubled and is likely to rise again, according to officials.

On Wednesday, the health department urged anyone who visited the establishment between June 12 and June 20 to self-quarantine for 14 days from the day of their visit.
https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1276945013788852224

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #9511 on: June 27, 2020, 02:31:24 PM »
Nintex's example of not dropping someone because they're political is he's still friends with his brother, even though his brother isn't racist.

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #9512 on: June 27, 2020, 03:27:10 PM »
You guys keep forgetting the most important aspect of this.

What are Nintex Sr.’s beliefs? And why isn’t he on the bore yet?

:society
Margs

Bebpo

« Reply #9513 on: June 27, 2020, 03:59:13 PM »

At this point I'd wear a mask and social distance the fuck away from everyone if you go. Yeah it's awkward but it's not worth risking your life over trying to appease your family for one event.

When I'd visit my parents I'd normally wear a mask the whole time AND sit like 10-15 ft away. My dad always thought I was being overkill and ridiculous and so for Father's Day to try to be nicer to him I didn't wear a mask and just sat 10ft-12ft away. Now I don't know if I have covid until Monday and I've had sore throat and little cough itch and it's been driving me crazy worrying if it's covid or nothing. Not worth it to appease family members right now.

Bebpo

« Reply #9514 on: June 27, 2020, 04:05:32 PM »
Well, day 6 of symptoms now for my dad and he says he's "not doing too good", though when he describes his symptoms they're still just general flu type of stuff. He gets a one degree fever on and off but nothing higher, mostly just feels shitty, tired, weak like he has a cold/flu and he has a little bit of stuff in his lungs but not enough he feels like he can cough up, which is stressing him since obviously he's watching out for lung stuff the most.

Everything I read online seems to say the critical time when you have it is about 7 days after you get symptoms. It seems like either that's enough time and your symptoms get progressively worse, or if they don't after about 7 days, they'll probably stay stable you're probably going to recover. So in about two days should know how my dad is progressing.

The silver lining is my mom, who was feeling really fatigued yesterday and thought she might be at symptoms day 1 after feeling fine until yesterday, is back to feeling 100% fine today. So hopefully she was just tired from the anxiety/stress of my dad testing positive and her living with him and potentially getting it.

Bebpo

« Reply #9515 on: June 27, 2020, 04:08:58 PM »
Also, just anecdotal stuff, but when my brother got tested at the same place as my dad yesterday, he talked to the doctor and they said they've had pretty good luck so far with Covid and out of all the people who have tested positive through their office (which they track) only 1% have had to get to the ER and a smaller percentage of that have ended up in ICU. They've had 108 full recoveries so far, and going by local county stats that means they've probably had about 200 people test positive and 2 in ER, 1 in ICU.

So stats are still in favor of my dad not ending up in the ER hopefully.

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #9516 on: June 27, 2020, 04:54:33 PM »
https://twitter.com/ScottGottliebMD/status/1276698852448522240

Hehe yep, general testing was tripled during these two weeks (24 and 25), so obviously a lot more mild cases reported. Basically only hospitalized cases reported prior to week 24. Death rates and ICU numbers still decreasing steadily.
地平線

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #9517 on: June 27, 2020, 05:12:29 PM »
did anybody comment on one of Nintex's examples of accepting differences of opinions is that he was friends with a Sega kid

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #9518 on: June 27, 2020, 05:45:34 PM »
 :yuck

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #9519 on: June 27, 2020, 05:47:58 PM »
Going to be close to 40K again. 

edit:  over 40K and still needs Louisiana and Cali looks low.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 06:28:35 PM by Madrun Badrun »

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #9520 on: June 27, 2020, 06:08:05 PM »
what the fuck Florida

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #9521 on: June 27, 2020, 06:14:01 PM »

Nintex Sr. is a Democratic Socialist who worked an honest job as a mason mostly restoring historical buildings and monuments such as churches and windmills.
He contributed to books published by universities that made other people rich as he didn't consider his work that valuable even though his work is used across Europe to preserve and restore buildings and architecture.
Followed the law to the letter and voted for the Labour party all his life only to watch how his pension is cut year after year.

As a hobby he tinkers with electronics as a member of the Amateur Radio society.
:yeshrug
🤴

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #9522 on: June 27, 2020, 06:14:46 PM »
Florida gonna Florida.   :trumps

Nintex Sr. is a Democratic Socialist who worked an honest job as a mason mostly restoring historical buildings and monuments such as churches and windmills.
He contributed to books published by universities that made other people rich as he didn't consider his work that valuable even though his work is used across Europe to preserve and restore buildings and architecture.
Followed the law to the letter and voted for the Labour party all his life only to watch how his pension is cut year after year.

As a hobby he tinkers with electronics as a member of the Amateur Radio society.

Sounds like a good guy.  What is your mother like?  Something doesn't add up. 

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #9523 on: June 27, 2020, 06:16:18 PM »
Also Nevada just doubled its previous daily high.

At least it's not like it reopened as a hub for tourists who are going to fly back to their home states and be possible vectors for infection.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #9524 on: June 27, 2020, 06:18:39 PM »

:bernie

BIONIC

« Reply #9525 on: June 27, 2020, 06:30:30 PM »
did anybody comment on one of Nintex's examples of accepting differences of opinions is that he was friends with a Sega kid

Sega sucks, so it was very big of him  :miyamoto
Margs

BisMarckie

« Reply #9526 on: June 27, 2020, 06:31:44 PM »
Have fun with no blood in Mortal Kombat you Nintendo figgurts. :sabu

BIONIC

« Reply #9527 on: June 27, 2020, 06:33:32 PM »
Mortal Kombat before MK9  :nope
Margs

Tripon

« Reply #9528 on: June 27, 2020, 06:34:13 PM »
The real COVID-20 is Nintendo censorship.  :doge

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #9529 on: June 27, 2020, 06:34:43 PM »
 :iface

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #9530 on: June 27, 2020, 06:35:58 PM »
Guys, I have an acquaintance who has give me likes in the past but has recently outed themselves as an anti-Nintendo homophobe online.  Should I cut them out of my virtual life? 

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #9531 on: June 27, 2020, 06:36:00 PM »

My mother is a very sweet woman who always helped others get back on their feet but was dealt some very bad cards early in life after her mom died at a very young age which made her break up with her entire family.
All the trauma caused a string of mild depressions at certain points in her life until about 6 years ago when it got really bad and she couldn't crawl out of that hole anymore and I had to take her to hospital thinking she had suffered from a stroke or worse.
After literally being unable to speak and only being able to get some sort of 'connection' by showing pictures of cats on an iPad, she has fought against depressions and beat cancer while being suicidal. I don't think there is a stronger person in the world.

I will spare you the details but me and my brother had the grave of grandpa (her father) demolished once the truth started coming out about 6 years ago.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
This post totally ruined the mood though  :fbm
[close]
🤴

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #9532 on: June 27, 2020, 06:37:52 PM »
love you momma nintex :tocry

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #9533 on: June 27, 2020, 06:38:04 PM »
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-01891-8

Mounting clues suggest the coronavirus might trigger diabetes

I'm T1 diabetic and got it when I was 17 after a particularly bad flu. Think that's pretty common.
___

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #9534 on: June 27, 2020, 06:38:27 PM »

My mother is a very sweet woman who always helped others get back on their feet but was dealt some very bad cards early in life after her mom died at a very young age which made her break up with her entire family.
All the trauma caused a string of mild depressions at certain points in her life until about 6 years ago when it got really bad and she couldn't crawl out of that hole anymore and I had to take her to hospital thinking she had suffered from a stroke or worse.
After literally being unable to speak and only being able to get some sort of 'connection' by showing pictures of cats on an iPad, she has fought against depressions and beat cancer while being suicidal. I don't think there is a stronger person in the world.

I will spare you the details but me and my brother had the grave of grandpa (her father) demolished once the truth started coming out about 6 years ago.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
This post totally ruined the mood though  :fbm
[close]

Sorry for the joke. 

Oblivion

« Reply #9535 on: June 27, 2020, 06:50:22 PM »
i had what i considered a pretty close friend who i no longer speak to cause of politics. it started way back like a decade or so ago when we were at home watching T.V. and a commercial came on about prop 8. my friend then said something to the effect of "god, why can't they just get over it? getting married isn't a big deal". and this caught me by surprise. sure, i would have expected it from some christian fundie, but my friend was a socially liberal atheist. why is he mad at gay people for wanting rights and not the people trying to stop them? what the hell was the secular case for keeping the gays single?  :doge

as time went on, and we spoke more about politics, it became much clearer that he was waaaaaay more rightwing than i thought. apparently he'd been supporting republicans for years, was a total gun nut, was a proponent of trickle-down economics, and endorsed shit like Arizona's "papers, please" bill back in the day.

our political arguments initially were kind of fun and interesting, but as time went on, they became more and intense and heated. it got to the point where he (along with my other, even more chudlike roommates) decried that we would no longer discuss politics. at first, this seemed like the only way to avoid further animosity, but you quickly learn that "politics" isn't just an issue of talking about who you plan on voting for. politics is something that encompasses literally everything in life, from sports, to video games, to comics, to food, etc. it's pretty fucking difficult to avoid politics when so many other subjects somehow connected to it in one form or another, leading back to having the same arguments over and over again.

it got so bad that i legit couldn't deal with him and my other friends at the time anymore. last time i saw him was in like 2012 i think, right before the election. ngl, i'm sad we don't hang out anymore since i did really like him (he was one of like 5 people i still kept in touch with after high school), but if we were still in contact, i'm sure he'd support trump and think wearing masks were gay, so meh, fuck him. :yeshrug
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 07:38:12 PM by Oblivion »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #9536 on: June 27, 2020, 07:11:25 PM »
I guess it differs from country to country too.

The divisive issues in the Netherlands are:
- Border controls / Migration
- Climate Policy (especially banning non-electric cars and dropping natural gas from our energy mix)
- EU policy (Eurobonds mostly)
- Sinterklaas (Zwarte Piet)

The politicians tried everything, the M17 crash, our dealings with Russia, a healthcare fund, mosques, fireworks and even animal rights etc. nothing really sticks except these 4 issues.
Gay marriage, gun ownership and abortion are issues on the fringes that aren't even part of the day to day political discussion.
🤴

Himu

« Reply #9537 on: June 27, 2020, 08:09:22 PM »
My mom works in a hospital and her co-worker has tested positive. Today isn't a good day.
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9538 on: June 27, 2020, 09:36:47 PM »
Just found out that my dad is running a fever. I work with him and I'm around my parents all the time, so if he's got it, I've probably got it too. It'll probably be a couple of days before he can get tested [unless he gets sick enough to need to go to the emergency room] and a few more days for test results, so the family is on lockdown for the about the next week regardless. :fbm
dog

Oblivion

« Reply #9539 on: June 27, 2020, 09:43:53 PM »
might as well join. two of my cousins in india caught it as well.  :'(