Author Topic: Corona Thread |OT| Nu variant, who dis?  (Read 1081774 times)

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
Re: Corona Thread |OT| Warlords of Rona
« Reply #9780 on: July 02, 2020, 07:20:49 AM »
I can't open the link because the site is blocked in Europe  :idont

These American pigs will never understand or feel the pain of the EU’s digital tyranny :stahp
(ice)

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #9783 on: July 02, 2020, 09:07:05 AM »
14 deaths in NY yesterday... the lowest count since mid March. At least NY still seem to be beating this, even as the rest of the country goes to hell in a handbasket.
^_^

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #9784 on: July 02, 2020, 09:18:52 AM »
I can't open the link because the site is blocked in Europe  :idont

These American pigs will never understand or feel the pain of the EU’s digital tyranny :stahp
The EU's loss if I just spread dezinformatsiya based on third hand information and they can't proof we wrong :birb
🤴

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #9785 on: July 02, 2020, 09:23:54 AM »
I was looking at the US deaths chart last night. They still seem to be trending down (overall). It probably speaks to the fact that more and more young people are getting affected and have lower mortality rates. 

This Economist chart shows America as an outlier to some European countries. As a percentage of deaths, we are having more people in the younger age brackets dying and less in the very old.  You wonder if our early perceptions of the virus (only people 60+ had to worry about death) because of what was happening in Italy screwed up our attitudes/response to it.

https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2020/06/24/when-covid-19-deaths-are-analysed-by-age-america-is-an-outlier

spoiler (click to show/hide)
aMeriCaN eXcePtionaLiSM is a LiE!!
[close]

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #9786 on: July 02, 2020, 09:56:21 AM »
I am not sure if this is a thing in many other places (nothing really jumping out on a quick google), but in Louisiana have heard of people having sick-in "parties" to deliberately try and spread chicken pox to 'get it over with.' while I guess it's usually a consensual thing, apparently it's also somewhat common for people to take it on themselves and bring sick kids to parties without communicating this in advance to anyone. my mom has told me the latter is how I caught it way back.

anyway, the LA governor mentioned sick parties yesterday, and I am guessing there is a reason behind it.  :derp

they also went on to stress that this kind of thing just gives the virus more opportunity to mutate so please stahp.

ToxicAdam

« Reply #9787 on: July 02, 2020, 10:12:28 AM »
I've heard rumors of college football programs actually encouraging it, because they want their players to be ready for the fall season and have immunity.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #9789 on: July 02, 2020, 10:33:33 AM »
There’s an active outbreak two buildings from my work. Yesterday was Oregon’s highest day of new cases. 4/6 of my coworkers refuse to wear masks. Social distancing is tenuous at best, corporate says we don’t have to if it’s for less than 15 minutes.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #9790 on: July 02, 2020, 10:40:03 AM »
The 5-second rule does apply to pandemics. 

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #9791 on: July 02, 2020, 10:56:55 AM »
I've heard rumors of college football programs actually encouraging it, because they want their players to be ready for the fall season and have immunity.

ToxicAdam

« Reply #9792 on: July 02, 2020, 11:01:26 AM »
There’s an active outbreak two buildings from my work. Yesterday was Oregon’s highest day of new cases. 4/6 of my coworkers refuse to wear masks. Social distancing is tenuous at best, corporate says we don’t have to if it’s for less than 15 minutes.

That's dumb. My corp has a rule that the minute you leave your office you are to mask up and if your work requires you to be within 6 feet of another person, you have to also. Otherwise you can go mask free.

If you go and use a shared bathroom you have to wear a mask in case someone walks in.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot

ToxicAdam

« Reply #9794 on: July 02, 2020, 11:07:38 AM »
The prisons down there are probably just infested.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #9795 on: July 02, 2020, 11:08:02 AM »
Ontario's last two days are 149+, 4 deaths yesterday (just reported today due to Canada Day), and 153+, 4 deaths today.  Looking really good.

Fifstar

« Reply #9796 on: July 02, 2020, 11:16:24 AM »
I was looking at the US deaths chart last night. They still seem to be trending down (overall). It probably speaks to the fact that more and more young people are getting affected and have lower mortality rates. 

This Economist chart shows America as an outlier to some European countries. As a percentage of deaths, we are having more people in the younger age brackets dying and less in the very old.  You wonder if our early perceptions of the virus (only people 60+ had to worry about death) because of what was happening in Italy screwed up our attitudes/response to it.

https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2020/06/24/when-covid-19-deaths-are-analysed-by-age-america-is-an-outlier

aMeriCaN eXcePtionaLiSM is a LiE!!
[close]

Well, the hockeystick trend began two weeks ago, around June 16-18 and is escalating from that point. Deaths lag about two to three weeks, so we will see how deathly the impact from those cases will be only in the next two weeks. 
Gulp

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #9797 on: July 02, 2020, 11:21:33 AM »
Also, to see how the current increase affects deaths, you will need to look at per state deaths.  With NY and the northeast still coming down, it will mask the US average.  We are just now seeing extreme hospitalization numbers in Texas and Arizona, so it will still be a while before deaths escilate. 

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #9798 on: July 02, 2020, 11:47:56 AM »
I gave a heartfelt speech about it including the facts I posted in here, and I actually got 2 people to put on masks! I said I know it’s not the policy but I’m asking you to join me. Now we’re down to the boss and the person everyone knows is the dumbest

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #9799 on: July 02, 2020, 11:51:51 AM »
Good for you man.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #9800 on: July 02, 2020, 12:46:30 PM »
Think I might get to go back to the office this month.  Will need to wear a mask at all times but whatever.  Also, someone just asked me to confirm if my desk was the one with the giant Ironman Infinity Gauntlet on it lol

BisMarckie

« Reply #9801 on: July 02, 2020, 12:52:30 PM »
Is it though?

BisMarckie

« Reply #9802 on: July 02, 2020, 01:32:01 PM »
I just wanted to know if that was indeed his desk, I am not judging here. :blessup

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #9803 on: July 02, 2020, 01:35:18 PM »
I just wanted to know if that was indeed his desk, I am not judging here. :blessup

Well I am  :comeon
Margs

BisMarckie

« Reply #9804 on: July 02, 2020, 01:37:19 PM »
So am I, but I just wanted to build up a certain trust level.

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #9805 on: July 02, 2020, 01:47:18 PM »
I’m judging too, but in a positive way
WDW

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #9806 on: July 02, 2020, 02:06:17 PM »
https://apnews.com/0468a60b64947879926d2a16e45c00ee  good graph of the positivity rates.

last week it was 24 states to be worried about not its basically everything but the north east. 

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #9807 on: July 02, 2020, 02:09:40 PM »
https://apnews.com/0468a60b64947879926d2a16e45c00ee  good graph of the positivity rates.

last week it was 24 states to be worried about not its basically everything but the north east.
Time to put that infinity gauntlet to work
🤴

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #9808 on: July 02, 2020, 03:30:03 PM »
https://fox8.com/news/young-people-are-throwing-coronavirus-parties-with-a-payout-when-one-gets-infected-alabama-official-says/

I'm very skeptical of this. Pretty sure we've had similar stories in the last few months and none of them have panned out yet, and the lone source on this is an Alabama city council member who says they heard it from firefighters.

It's a huge country so it wouldn't be crazy if it happened once or twice, but feels like urban legend stuff to me.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #9809 on: July 02, 2020, 03:32:18 PM »
Ya, I only posted it because of the above discussion.  I bet its more like, we are going to have a party, then make a joke about getting it, and when the cops start asking questions the joke loses context. 

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #9810 on: July 02, 2020, 03:42:37 PM »
https://fox8.com/news/young-people-are-throwing-coronavirus-parties-with-a-payout-when-one-gets-infected-alabama-official-says/

I'm very skeptical of this. Pretty sure we've had similar stories in the last few months and none of them have panned out yet, and the lone source on this is an Alabama city council member who says they heard it from firefighters.

It's a huge country so it wouldn't be crazy if it happened once or twice, but feels like urban legend stuff to me.

Sounds like someone is trying to spoil the bet pool.....

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #9811 on: July 02, 2020, 04:00:07 PM »
https://www.ajc.com/news/local/dekalb-board-health-pausing-covid-testing-during-holiday-weekend/sg35ec6Nk1zgnMNtYGQERK/

Many local health departments will not be conducting COVID-19 testing over the holiday weekend, even as confirmed coronavirus cases surge and demand for testing remains extremely high.

The DeKalb County Board of Health confirmed its COVID-19 call center and testing sites would close Friday and not resume operations until Monday. A Cobb County spokesman said the local testing site at Jim R. Miller Park would be closed as well.

:dead

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #9813 on: July 02, 2020, 04:33:57 PM »
According to Abbott, first-time violators will be issued a warning. If violated a second time, a $250 fine will be issued, said the governor.

So basically not going to be inforced

Bebpo

« Reply #9814 on: July 02, 2020, 04:51:21 PM »
So almost 2 week update for my family's covid infection.

My molecular test confirmed the antigen test as negative, also negative on any antibodies, so I still gotta keep being extra careful. My brother and his SO are negative, my mom is still waiting for her test result from 6 days ago (medicare smh...) but almost 2 weeks into my dad's symptoms she still does not have a single symptom so far thankfully, so it's more and more likely she didn't get it or is asymptomatic.

My dad's still sick and not feeling good about this whole thing after almost two weeks (Sunday will be 2 weeks from symptoms appearing). No fever and lungs still clear as far as I know, but he got a bad sinus infection and he's got a ton of pressure/pain in the sinuses that won't clear and feels like shit. Yesterday (so ~1.5 weeks in) he suddenly lost his sense of taste & smell and that freaked him out and he's worried it might not come back (though the stats on that seem pretty low, for most people it comes back). He's finally getting some tele-appointments in with doctors. No one wanted to see him in person and everyone was too busy because America, so until now he hadn't been able to talk to any medical professional about his symptoms unless he wanted to go to the ER, which he didn't. One of them gave him some antibiotics in case the sinus infection is a side effect and not covid, who knows.

While things could be better, as long as my dad's symptoms stay non-life-threatening and my mom doesn't get any symptoms I'll feel positive about the situation as non-life-threatening stuff should clear up eventually. Also if my dad can get through this, he'll have some immunity for a while which will stop him from being a vector that could bring it home to my mom, so she should be safer. If she turns out asymptomatic than she's even more safe. If I don't have to worry about my elderly parents anymore and just worry about keeping myself safe that's one less concern during this pandemic.

Also I guess all my tests and antibodies being negative means all this paranoia level of shit I'm doing is working on keeping me from being exposed. So I just gotta keep doing what I'm doing until hopefully there's a vaccine and hopefully I should be able to get in with the first group since I'm immune suppressed and get on that right way. I don't even care if there's potentially some bad side effects, I'll risk it and then 2 weeks after that I'll go eat a hamburger, fries and a coke for the first time in a year.

Oblivion

« Reply #9815 on: July 02, 2020, 05:05:07 PM »
hoping for the best, bebpo.

Nuitangg

« Reply #9816 on: July 02, 2020, 05:05:09 PM »
Abbott had to wait for Trumps approval.  :maf

Oblivion

« Reply #9817 on: July 02, 2020, 05:05:55 PM »
https://twitter.com/karentravers/status/1278740866962685955

looks like the CAIN TRAIN may finally be derailed  :'(

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #9819 on: July 02, 2020, 05:27:55 PM »
The Dave Meltzer of coronavirus updates

[close]
Hi

Oblivion

« Reply #9820 on: July 02, 2020, 05:33:55 PM »
According to Abbott, first-time violators will be issued a warning. If violated a second time, a $250 fine will be issued, said the governor.

So basically not going to be inforced

hmm? abbott sucks ass, but that seems like a pretty good way to enforce it.  ???

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #9821 on: July 02, 2020, 05:49:34 PM »
No the warning and then low fine will make it too discretionary, logistic, and undaunting to be effective.  Especially with the flipflopping about enforcement that Texas has seen the last two months. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/07/02/coronavirus-live-updates-us/  says today will be +50K too

The last two days of new US cases will be at about Canada's sum total of 104,643.

Also more importantly,
Texas set a record for covid-19 hospitalizations (7,382), as did Mississippi (863), Tennessee (632), Nevada (662) and Arizona (2,938)

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #9823 on: July 02, 2020, 05:54:13 PM »
https://twitter.com/karentravers/status/1278740866962685955

looks like the CAIN TRAIN may finally be derailed  :'(

Hang in there King  :'(
🤴

Tripon

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #9825 on: July 02, 2020, 07:20:25 PM »
It was nice knowing you, 21337:

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/07/02/886595119/another-day-another-coronavirus-record-in-florida

Make sure to send the Arcade Stick back to me in your will, so I can sell it again recoup it. :salute

Oblivion

« Reply #9826 on: July 02, 2020, 07:36:23 PM »
South Bay (Northern California)

:thinking

Tripon

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #9829 on: July 02, 2020, 08:52:36 PM »
+56,922  absolutely insane. 

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #9830 on: July 02, 2020, 08:56:25 PM »
yeah... insanely cool
每天生气

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #9831 on: July 02, 2020, 08:59:56 PM »
https://www.nola.com/news/coronavirus/article_a7b8731c-bcb7-11ea-ad93-9303989ad685.html

That increase comes as a national shortage of coronavirus test kit materials has begun to threaten the city's own supply. To preserve kits, the city will cut the number of tests offered at each of its community sites to 150 per day starting next week. The city had tested 250 people a day at each site.

what the fuck have we been doing for three months?!  :rage

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #9832 on: July 02, 2020, 09:04:07 PM »
who wants to guess how high we'll be up to by the end of the month? 200k?
pcp

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #9833 on: July 02, 2020, 09:25:08 PM »
I don't think there is the testing capacity (in the states that need it) to hit 100K a day that soon.  Without increasing testing, you'd have to double positivity rates which means that a lot more people would need to have it in the population or only people who have it are getting tested.   

shosta

« Reply #9834 on: July 02, 2020, 09:41:08 PM »
I think we should let everyydvoh get tit
每天生气

ToxicAdam

« Reply #9835 on: July 02, 2020, 09:48:02 PM »
I think we should let everyydvoh get tit

Yup. We jumped out of the plane and there’s no going back.

shosta

« Reply #9836 on: July 02, 2020, 09:52:22 PM »
Yeah younger it
每天生气

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #9837 on: July 02, 2020, 09:56:33 PM »
Just like NY supressed it, this can be too.  But I don't think that will be the political reality since that would require a lockdown till winter now.  We might see the US become a completely isolated country until a vaccine. 

Oblivion

« Reply #9838 on: July 02, 2020, 10:17:43 PM »
i found out that they opened the planes up in india again. i'm thinking i should probably make a ticket for my mom and bro and get them back here while i still have a window of opportunity. i'm imagining they'll be closing down again quite soon

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #9839 on: July 02, 2020, 10:19:10 PM »
who wants to guess how high we'll be up to by the end of the month? 200k?
I don’t see it getting close to that. 75k?