Author Topic: Corona Thread |OT| Nu variant, who dis?  (Read 1081746 times)

G The Resurrected

Re: Corona Thread |OT| Warlords of Rona
« Reply #9900 on: July 04, 2020, 11:25:17 AM »
I've been struggling so much because of this period of time. Lost an Aunt, been trying to take care of my "recovered" father and his wife as safely as possible, lost all prospects in getting back into the job market, and other things. It's taken its toll on others I'm sure, but this shit just doesn't end. Now my father is saying to others that it wasn't that bad, it didn't nearly take more than 4 weeks in the ICU for you to get out of the hospital and you still aren't well right?! He wouldn't stop and reconsider having people over for his 60th birthday, so I'm done with him. Still supporting the great leader our divider n chief to the grave!

I'm tired.....

El Babua

« Reply #9901 on: July 04, 2020, 11:27:54 AM »
Florida is 11,458+ with a positive rate of 14.1

https://www.wtsp.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/covid19-new-coronavirus-cases-florida-july-4/67-74f56ede-a9d7-4f59-a66f-61d841101129

I read on reddit that Florida doesn't have a state tax and so can't really shut down as it would stop all state income.  That sound right?

There's no state income tax. But there are property taxes on a county by county basis. And the lottery too I guess  :doge

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #9902 on: July 04, 2020, 12:40:08 PM »
It took New York over 2 months with one of the more stringent lockdowns in order to finally feel okay enough to reopen (and their numbers still aren't flat enough to feel like there won't be another peak happening). Florida isn't going to shutdown either it seems.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #9904 on: July 04, 2020, 12:48:42 PM »
The thinking seems to be that the death rate is down even though infections are up so it is safe as long as there aren't many deaths.
The very same mistake the UK and the Netherlands made early on in this crisis with 'herd immunity'.

Even though the US indeed has implemented widespread testing (and most of Europe hasn't) which equals a higher number of reported cases
we now know that there's a delay between contracting the virus, getting symptoms and requiring medical care.
People who got tested positive may not have symptoms now but could develop those within 7 - 14 days.

The United States is basically playing Russian Roulette with the virus. Hoping that all those infections don't develop into symptoms or worse.
🤴

Tripon

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #9906 on: July 04, 2020, 12:55:18 PM »
Ohio had its first 0 death day, but it’s still getting about 1000 new cases a day which is double what the average had been the 4 weeks prior.

All three major cities have made masks mandatory and so did Dayton. I imagine Toledo would’ve too, but half their city council got arrested by the FBI. Lol

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #9907 on: July 04, 2020, 01:08:02 PM »
Ontario is 121+, 5 Deaths.  Looking good but I hope we go another month maybe two before phase 3.  No reason to open up restaurants in the summer. 

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #9908 on: July 04, 2020, 01:21:37 PM »
I read on reddit that Florida doesn't have a state tax and so can't really shut down as it would stop all state income.  That sound right?

Like El Babua said, no personal income tax. Most of their budget is funded by a sales tax.

Larger issue is that states mostly have to balance their budgets. The federal government's the only one that can make the money printer go brrrrr and it hasn't done nearly enough to subsidize state and local govs.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #9909 on: July 04, 2020, 01:25:38 PM »
Even though the US indeed has implemented widespread testing (and most of Europe hasn't) which equals a higher number of reported cases

This is just dumb;  countries like the UK and Spain both have higher testing rates than us, and a fraction of the infection rate. 

UK for instance has a 40% HIGHER rate of testing, and less than half the infection rate.   

Our problem is much bigger than countries with more or similar testing rates... we should have a much higher testing rate than we do considering the sheer size of our problem and we don't.

Dutch directness doesn't have time for fact checking  :hmph

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #9910 on: July 04, 2020, 01:46:04 PM »
If you cut him down for mistakes on a post that seems like he actually tried, he'll never learn.  Give the boy a like, for our future. 

Tripon

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #9912 on: July 04, 2020, 01:49:36 PM »
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/coronavirus-evidence-growing-houston-strain-mutant-15386157.php

Evidence is growing that a mutated coronavirus strain, the main one circulating in the Houston area, is more contagious than the original virus in China.

Two new research papers show that the newer strain is more transmissible, a possibility first suggested by a team of scientists in May. At the time, that suggestion was considered highly speculative by many scientists, including some in Houston.

“A summary of the data thus far suggests that this strain has gained a fitness advantage over the original and is more transmissible as a result,” said Joseph Petrosino, Baylor College of Medicine chair of molecular virology and microbiology. “It is safe to say this version is more infectious.”

:goty

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #9913 on: July 04, 2020, 01:51:11 PM »
If you cut him down for mistakes on a post that seems like he actually tried, he'll never learn.  Give the boy a like, for our future.

The soft bigotry of Dutch expectations.

Raist

« Reply #9914 on: July 04, 2020, 02:01:14 PM »

Tried what? You can safely ignore any of his posts that contain "europe" or "EU", it's complete nonsense every damn time :lol

And this one is a paraphrased "tHeRE ArE mORE cASEs bEcAuSE MOrE TESts" Trumpian argument :rofl

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #9915 on: July 04, 2020, 02:07:47 PM »
Tried adding to the discussion above just posting a Trump tweet and a smug face or a make-believe conversation only a Q-Anon could stomach reading all the way through.   

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #9917 on: July 04, 2020, 02:34:02 PM »

This is just dumb;  countries like the UK and Spain both have higher testing rates than us, and a fraction of the infection rate. 

UK for instance has a 40% HIGHER rate of testing, and less than half the infection rate.   

Our problem is much bigger than countries with more or similar testing rates... we should have a much higher testing rate than we do considering the sheer size of our problem and we don't.
On a population of ~330 million, the US has done ~31 million tests.
Which means that give or take 7% - 10% of the population has been tested (of course some medical professionals get tested regularly so those are not 'individual' tests and most countries calculate this by 'tests performed')

Now let's look at the data of a few European countries and I admit I haven't looked at this data in a while:
Italy has done 5 million tests on a population of 60 million. (9%)
Germany has done 6 million tests on a population of 80 million. (7.5%)
The Netherlands has done 400k tests on 20 million people. (2%)
UK 10 million tests on a population of 66 million. (15%)
Poland 1.6 million tests on a population of 40 million. (4%)
Greece ~300k tests on 11 million. (2.5%)
Spain 5 million tests on a population of 50 million. (10%)
France 1.6 million tests on a population of 67 million. (2%)

Interestingly the UK is an outlier and Spain is more or less equal with the US with most countries not performing that many tests.

Russia claims to have done about 20 million tests with a population of 144 million (14%)
🤴

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #9918 on: July 04, 2020, 04:21:51 PM »
You fucking fucking twit.

___

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #9919 on: July 04, 2020, 04:28:59 PM »
I looked at these sources but found that Our World In Data missed some data with regards to Europe
Their number for the UK topped out at 5 million
https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/full-list-total-tests-for-covid-19?time=2020-02-24..&country=ITA~USA~GBR

This source had double the number of tests:
https://www.statista.com/statistics/1109066/coronavirus-testing-in-europe-by-country/

Also slightly outdated as some countries don't report test numbers on a weekly basis.

🤴

Dickie Dee

« Reply #9920 on: July 04, 2020, 04:35:34 PM »
So they would've been even higher and you would be even more wrong...
___

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot

Raist

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #9924 on: July 04, 2020, 08:31:21 PM »
So they would've been even higher and you would be even more wrong...
That could be the case but my country can't possibly be in the top tier of testers as the map shows because we didn't start testing at a bigger scale until like 3 - 4 weeks ago.
So if our country is in the top tier the other countries basically did 0 testing, which the numbers don't support.
I suppose the map maker just lumped us in with Germany.
🤴

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #9925 on: July 04, 2020, 08:50:43 PM »
If the current high case numbers were an artifact of a more thorough testing regime, then we'd see the US administering more tests, and a higher test/case ratio than in Europe currently.

Total tests since the start of the outbreak is completely irrelevant to the point you were trying to make.

Tripon

Himu

« Reply #9927 on: July 04, 2020, 09:30:09 PM »
https://twitter.com/DaniOliver/status/1279155358666305541?s

might be the scariest damn thread i've seen about all this

Was going to post it. How have our boreans with Covid been healing?

My friend had it and she's far from recovered. Her symptoms are just like this. I'm scared for her and disease is terrifying.

Trump should put in jail immediately for what he has done.
IYKYK

Dickie Dee

___

Oblivion

G The Resurrected

« Reply #9930 on: July 04, 2020, 10:29:41 PM »
Was going to post it. How have our boreans with Covid been healing?

My friend had it and she's far from recovered. Her symptoms are just like this. I'm scared for her and disease is terrifying.

I can tell you that most all of those symptoms of the disease are things I've first hand seen within my family. My fathers wife in particular can barely breathe randomly and her life has gotten much more difficult, she was perfectly healthy before this. Meanwhile my father who received multiple drugs and blood oxygenation through giant tubes after the ventilators scared and ruined his lungs, has different symptoms. His blood will randomly clot, he has the toes issue and still runs a fever. Theres even other things that they both were going through that I can't even explain the horrors of. The nervous system tic that reminds me of a Tourettes was horrifying, at first you think it's a stroke then you realize it's a muscle-skeletal spasm followed by gibbering. Like I said previously its tiring, there is no support out there for a lot of these people too. Good luck finding in home care right now.

I liken this disease to something more similar to HIV than any known disease we've seen before. The nature of the need for anti-viral therapies for those "recovered" along with a vaccine regimen to "cure" a patient is gonna have to be designed similar to how HIV/AIDS patients are treated. Tailored drug therapy cocktails to cover a wide range of issues resulting from COVID-19 and continued support to protect from future incidents of contracting the disease.

One thing is for sure we can't half ass a treatment that only covers a person for a few months from this. We need a scientific breakthrough to happen here, and that's a lot to ask from our current leaders. Money speaks more than life and that is something that I'm not ok with. We need real transparency from our leaders, and those at all levels of office right now during this challenging time.

Tripon

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #9932 on: July 05, 2020, 01:40:29 AM »
Just got back from another two flights and everyone I saw had a mask and kept it on.

They didn't say anything about a self quarantine so I guess I'm free to go to one of those pool parties from the tweets
:O

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #9933 on: July 05, 2020, 02:29:32 AM »
They didn't say anything about a self quarantine so I guess I'm free to go to one of those pool parties from the tweets

What’s the average age of attendees?  :gurl
Margs

james

« Reply #9934 on: July 05, 2020, 02:38:27 AM »

What’s the average age of attendees?  :gurl

It's hypothetical I don't actually have friends aside from shosta and he doesn't have a pool

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #9938 on: July 05, 2020, 10:12:38 AM »
https://7news.com.au/travel/coronavirus/coronavirus-is-airborne-say-239-scientists-in-a-letter-to-who-c-1145825

In an open letter to the World Health Organisation, 239 scientists from 32 countries have outlined evidence that coronavirus is airborne.

The scientists plan to publish their letter in a scientific journal in the coming months but extracts have already leaked to the New York Times and other media outlets.

The WHO has said that coronavirus is spread through respiratory droplets, expelled when infected people sneeze or exhale.
In their letter, the scientists outlined evidence that even smaller particles are infecting people.

The scientists say they think the virus can linger in the air for long periods and float for several metres, infecting anyone nearby.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #9939 on: July 05, 2020, 10:15:29 AM »
https://7news.com.au/travel/coronavirus/coronavirus-is-airborne-say-239-scientists-in-a-letter-to-who-c-1145825

In an open letter to the World Health Organisation, 239 scientists from 32 countries have outlined evidence that coronavirus is airborne.

The scientists plan to publish their letter in a scientific journal in the coming months but extracts have already leaked to the New York Times and other media outlets.

The WHO has said that coronavirus is spread through respiratory droplets, expelled when infected people sneeze or exhale.
In their letter, the scientists outlined evidence that even smaller particles are infecting people.

The scientists say they think the virus can linger in the air for long periods and float for several metres, infecting anyone nearby.
:existential
🤴

ToxicAdam

« Reply #9940 on: July 05, 2020, 10:37:40 AM »
Why are people acting like that’s new information? That was known since early March.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #9941 on: July 05, 2020, 10:53:47 AM »
It wasn't known.  It was hypothesized but not the scientific consensus, at least at the level of scientists/WHO talking to news outlits.  The fact that a lot of scientists are saying otherwise now and in this way kind of disproves the idea that it was just known.  To say it was known is just saying 'I believed this in March'.

This wasn't really a comment at you but the 10000 reddit posts all saying the same thing.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #9942 on: July 05, 2020, 10:56:54 AM »
https://www.texastribune.org/2020/07/04/texas-coronavirus-rio-grande-valley-hospitals/

https://www.themonitor.com/2020/07/04/tent-opens-er-facility-weslaco-adds-20-beds-staff-covid-19-patients/

Yikes

and Florida is +10,059 today.  Ontario is 138+ and 2 Deaths.  Looking at all the provincial data, https://covid-19-status.ca/ , once you get to a few hundred or so cases it seems like its really really hard to stop that long tail. 

Tripon

« Reply #9943 on: July 05, 2020, 11:38:56 AM »
https://twitter.com/jc_bradbury/status/1279798188606722050

---
Back on June 22nd if you're want some evidence of protests causing coronavirus numbers to spike. It may be a localized to areas that already had significant spread. Of course, the question is if they knew by June 22nd, the region was hit hard by exploding cases why it took until the end of June/beginning of July to shut down again, I don't have an answer for that.
https://twitter.com/mattdpearce/status/1275204296372482048
https://mobile.twitter.com/mattdpearce/status/1279804880731832321
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 11:57:18 AM by Tripon »

ToxicAdam

« Reply #9944 on: July 05, 2020, 12:05:32 PM »
It wasn't known.  It was hypothesized but not the scientific consensus, at least at the level of scientists/WHO talking to news outlits.  The fact that a lot of scientists are saying otherwise now and in this way kind of disproves the idea that it was just known.  To say it was known is just saying 'I believed this in March'.

This wasn't really a comment at you but the 10000 reddit posts all saying the same thing.

Fair enough.

Clockwork5

« Reply #9945 on: July 05, 2020, 12:18:53 PM »
I was out for a drive yesterday, I’ve been taking a 30 min drive a few times each week to clear my head and blast some jams, and I noticed Durham NC was completely empty. “Good” I thought “this state is slipping into statewide outbreak status and maybe people are taking it seriously.”

Then I get home and see this.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Coronavirus/comments/hld2lp/theres_people_everywhere_thousands_flock_to_north/

Oh great, they all went to the fucking beach. I can’t stand these ignorant hillbillies.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #9946 on: July 05, 2020, 12:19:59 PM »

I've been trying to convince myself to get out some and go to parks, but fuck all that. hibernation mode til at least 2021.
pcp

Tripon

« Reply #9947 on: July 05, 2020, 01:05:53 PM »
https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1279822371986329603

Good news, Florida was able to keep positive cases under 10000 today.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #9948 on: July 05, 2020, 01:35:34 PM »
Earlier it was reported as +10,059.  Clearly changed on the Devil's behalf.  We were warned about blaspheming the Lord's lungs. 

Also, it took less than two weeks for Florida to go from 100,000 to 200,000 cases.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #9949 on: July 05, 2020, 01:44:00 PM »

I'm blushing  :ryker

ToxicAdam

« Reply #9950 on: July 05, 2020, 02:38:48 PM »

Good news, Florida was able to keep positive cases under 10000 today.

Florida hired some Hollywood accountants that are temporarily unemployed.

Tripon

« Reply #9951 on: July 05, 2020, 02:59:44 PM »
https://twitter.com/TomBossert/status/1279818608978296832

Former Pandemic response official within the Homeland Security department before John Bolton fired him in a shakeup to... cut down costs somehow?

On July 20, 2017, Bossert called for a comprehensive bio-defense strategy against devastating pandemics and intentional attacks, and commented that retired Admiral Tim Ziemer was contributing to the development of the strategy.[11]

On July 27, 2017, British "email prankster" James Linton, spear-phished Bossert into thinking he was Jared Kushner by sending an email to Bossert; he received Bossert's private email address without asking for it.[12]

On April 10, 2018, Bossert resigned, a day after John R. Bolton, the newly appointed National Security Advisor, started his tenure.[13] Bossert's departure corresponded with the dissolution of the global health security team that he oversaw.[14]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Bossert

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #9953 on: July 05, 2020, 03:56:59 PM »
Miami-Dade County
https://www.miamidade.gov/information/library/2020-06-22-new-normal-dashboard.pdf
https://www.miamidade.gov/information/library/2020-07-05-new-normal-dashboard.pdf

June 11: 91 COVID patients in ICU, 462 in non-ICU beds, 49 on ventilators
June 23: 155 ICU, 663 non-ICU, 75 on ventilators
July 5: 331 ICU, 1,207 non-ICU, 164 on ventilators

Arizona
https://www.azdhs.gov/preparedness/epidemiology-disease-control/infectious-disease-epidemiology/covid-19/dashboards/index.php

June 6: 1,233 COVID inpatients, 392 ICU beds, 249 on ventilators
June 20: 1,942 inpatients, 556 ICU beds, 361 on ventilators
July 4: 3,182 inpatients, 821 ICU beds, 531 on ventilators

I don't know how much longer we'll get to point at deaths still trending down.

team filler

• filler
  • filler

james

« Reply #9955 on: July 05, 2020, 05:47:58 PM »
My aunt tested positive for Corona.

She called off the pool party last Saturday on the morning of because she had symptoms

:whew

She's in her late 60s so I'm worried

:fbm

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #9956 on: July 05, 2020, 05:58:06 PM »
Best wishes man. 

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9957 on: July 05, 2020, 07:53:07 PM »
I don't know how much longer we'll get to point at deaths still trending down.

A tweet from earlier in this thread was showing a roughly 3-week lag time between spikes in new cases and spikes in deaths, so not much longer.
dog

Tripon

« Reply #9958 on: July 05, 2020, 08:49:27 PM »

An Indian man said he paid about $4,000 for a bespoke gold face mask to protect him from the coronavirus raging in the country.

The precious metal covering weighs 60 grams (two ounces) and took craftsmen eight days to make, said businessman Shankar Kurhade, from the western city of Pune.

"It is a thin mask and has tiny pores that is helping me to breathe," Shankar told AFP.

"I am not sure if it will be effective to protect me from a coronavirus infection but I am taking other precautions," he added.

:dead

https://www.yahoo.com/news/indian-man-wears-gold-face-mask-ward-off-134617710.html

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9959 on: July 05, 2020, 09:24:36 PM »
:gladbron
dog